Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kden95

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:51 pm

It will be be interesting to see if true and who it is. Any idea of when it could be announced?

CALMSP

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Ishrion wrote:
f18raider wrote:
Just ran across this insta story by one of the many local DEN accounts I follow. Any speculation? Exciting regardless!

Some random guesses:

- Avianca to SAL (pretty sure this has minimal O&D)
- VivaAerobus to MTY/MEX
- JSX to LAS
- Swiss takes over Edelweiss' ZRH flight.

Or, what if it's a new cargo airline? Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, etc.

AV or Viva will probably be good options, I'd say JSX would go to APA before DEN given their focus on their customers. LX was expected to takeover, but that was for 2020, there won't be a ZRH coming back anytime soon.

As for Cargo, DEN has no cargo demand, so there won't be a cargo flight.

On top of your first two, it'd have to be Breeze or HA joining.

Frontier14

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm

I would second prior comments that Hawaiian is highly probably. If they would run to Oahu and Maui a couple of times a week, the service should be sustainable.

Frontier 14

jhsusman

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:48 pm

Wasn't Aer Lingus close to announcing a DEN flight pre-COVID? With Norwegian gone, there is space for another trans-Atlantic carrier once demand recovers. . .

joeblow10

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:54 pm

There’s essentially zero chance of a European carrier announcing right now in this environment. 2021 is essentially shot for intl. traffic - especially peak European summer - and at the rate variants are growing I am beginning to wonder when intl. will ever recover.

The only intl. stuff I could see being announced in the US right now would be Latin/South America

CALMSP

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:49 pm

jhsusman wrote:
Wasn't Aer Lingus close to announcing a DEN flight pre-COVID? With Norwegian gone, there is space for another trans-Atlantic carrier once demand recovers. . .

it was discussed, but they picked MSP, didn't they as their next route?

alohashirts

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed but once the west expansion on the A concourse is complete, will DL keep their gates or will they be relocating?

rph99

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:47 pm

I have 60,000 miles and a 50% off companion pass for Hawaiian airlines. Living in Denver...a Hawaiian announcement would be amazing.

Hayden7135

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:02 pm

I have been told by a friend with connections to DEN that it’s going to be served by a widebody aircraft. I personally speculate it will be Hawaiian Airlines, although I am no expert.

intotheair

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 pm

Some great pictures of the C expansion just posted on the airport's Twitter. "Coming Spring 2022"

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 8380243971

300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

303dk

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:08 pm

alohashirts wrote:
Sorry if this has been discussed but once the west expansion on the A concourse is complete, will DL keep their gates or will they be relocating?

They’ll be moving to A east.

DEN1895

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:20 pm

April Update.

With most work moving to the interior these updates will change a little bit so I am not flooding the thread with the same exterior pictures over and over again. I will mostly focus on notable milestones instead with a few pictures.

A West

While A West was originally the furthest project behind, they have been working quickly and have hit some major milestones.

This picture is a few days old but the first 2 jet bridges have been installed, with the 3rd in progress. All three bridges are on the north side of the A, where the ramp is more complete.
The exterior is mostly complete around the outdoor deck area on the west side, this area is larger than the patio on B West.

B East

Excluding areas left exposed for the mechanical systems to be installed, the glass exterior is pretty much completed. On the south side the utility work appears to be mostly complete as the area is now being re-buried.

From the South
From the North

B Ramp Replacement

This project will be wrapping up in the next few months, one interesting thing to note is that B19 will now exist, where as before it had been removed to allow for aircraft with wider wingspans. It will be interesting to see what aircraft will fit at these gates in the future.

C East

C East is still working on the exterior, but as you can see from the picture the interior is progressing along as well.

From the South

Unfortunately I did not have time to make it up to the SW hangar, but from what I have seen it seems that they are still slowly progressing along.

alasizon

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
This project will be wrapping up in the next few months, one interesting thing to note is that B19 will now exist, where as before it had been removed to allow for aircraft with wider wingspans. It will be interesting to see what aircraft will fit at these gates in the future.

Losing 757 capability on B21 or B25 combined with shifting the rest of the gates around should be able to create an A319 sized gate based on my rough math.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

xjetflyer2001

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:46 am

303dk wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

I am told Delta will be moving to C and Frontier is taking over A East

TWA772LR

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 am

rph99 wrote:
I have 60,000 miles and a 50% off companion pass for Hawaiian airlines. Living in Denver...a Hawaiian announcement would be amazing.

United is all over Denver like white on rice. If HA wanted to enter the CO market and think out of the box, COS would be a real big thorn in UAs side out of DEN. Can an A321neo make it with the high altitude out of DEN or COS?

Edit: After doing some GC mapper research, Hawaii to DEN is about 3300 miles and some change and COS is just 9 miles farther. Per wikipedia, the 321neo (non XLR) has a range of 4000nmi. This is probably the razors edge of the 321neo and who knows about a viable payload.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Den-hnl%2C ... =wls&DU=mi
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetmatt777

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 am

COS is also around 1,000 feet higher than DEN, so that may factor into takeoff calcs for such a mission.

That would indeed be a weird add, but wouldn’t be able to be daily. A seasonal 3x weekly attempt may be possible.

AndoAv8R

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:25 pm

It has appeared from flight tracking den-hnl/ogg/koa/lih flights are in pretty big demand, seems like HNL and OGG are flown by 777's frequently. So Hawaiian may be able to do pretty well here.

alohashirts

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:41 pm

xjetflyer2001 wrote:
303dk wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

Even though I asked the initial question, I don’t think DL would move to C especially if their sky club is located in A.

timf

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm

alohashirts wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:
303dk wrote:

Even though I asked the initial question, I don’t think DL would move to C especially if their sky club is located in A.

I've speculated about Delta moving to C before, but the most consistent answer has always been Delta moving to A East, with Frontier moving to the temporary ground loading gates on the far east side of A.

CALMSP

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm

I'd be shocked if DL did move to C, especially with WN wanting all and NK even wanting another gate. I'd imagine B6 moving to C before DL as it could then turn into another common-use gate with their limited schedule.

DENfan

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:05 pm

CALMSP wrote:
I'd be shocked if DL did move to C, especially with WN wanting all and NK even wanting another gate. I'd imagine B6 moving to C before DL as it could then turn into another common-use gate with their limited schedule.

Agreed on WN and NK demand for gates, but DL, with no domestic partners (tho AM and WS both serve DEN), could be considered a candidate to move - especially if AA and its B6+AS partnerships are strengthening and want to co-locate for club access and domestic connections on A. BA also packs the AA club on A when its flying.

Runway765

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm

timf wrote:
alohashirts wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:

I've speculated about Delta moving to C before, but the most consistent answer has always been Delta moving to A East, with Frontier moving to the temporary ground loading gates on the far east side of A.

AS and B6 need to be co-located with AA, especially the former given that they are alliance partners. Plus, doesn't the new Amex Platinum Lounge in C make up for the loss of the Delta Sky Club given the deep ties between DL and Amex?

I just wonder how the gate situation will shake out in the end.

jplatts

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 pm

DENfan wrote:
Agreed on WN and NK demand for gates, but DL, with no domestic partners (tho AM and WS both serve DEN), could be considered a candidate to move - especially if AA and its B6+AS partnerships are strengthening and want to co-locate for club access and domestic connections on A. BA also packs the AA club on A when its flying.

There is no need for B6 or AS to connect passengers onto AS DEN-SEA/PDX or AA DEN-LAX/PHX from NYC or BOS with (a) AA and B6 both still serving NYC and BOS nonstop from PHX, (b) AS and B6 both still serving NYC and BOS nonstop from SEA, (c) B6 still serving both JFK and BOS nonstop from LAX, (d) AA and AS both still serving JFK nonstop from LAX, (e) AA still operating SEA-CLT/ORD/DFW/MIA nonstop service, (f) AA still operating PDX-CLT/ORD/DFW nonstop service, and (f) AA still operating LAX-CLT/ORD/DFW/MIA/PHL nonstop service.

While there is no need for B6, AS, or AA to connect passengers to Washington State, Oregon, or California through DEN with the nonstop options that are there to the West Coast on B6/AS/AA from NYC/BOS and the 1-stop connecting options that are there to the West Coast from NYC/BOS through AA's DFW/ORD/CLT/PHX hubs, there might be a need for AA to connect passengers onto AS's DEN-ANC nonstop flights from AA's CLT/MIA/PHL-DEN flights with CLT, MIA, and PHL currently having no nonstop service to ANC.

alasizon

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:57 pm

Runway765 wrote:
timf wrote:
alohashirts wrote:

AS and B6 need to be co-located with AA, especially the former given that they are alliance partners. Plus, doesn't the new Amex Platinum Lounge in C make up for the loss of the Delta Sky Club given the deep ties between DL and Amex?

There is no need for AS or B6 to be co-located with AA in what is an outstation for all three. B6 and AA's partnership covers the northeast only, DEN is nowhere near the northeast and they must be competitive against one another outside the northeast. For AS, it is an outstation with customers traveling to SEA to make connections, that is it. No giant connection potential within DEN from AS to AA and vice versa.

CALMSP wrote:

There is no way DL could move to C right now without taking gates away from WN. WN was guaranteed the 12 additional gates they asked for so to take away 5 for DL does no good.

There is a reason DEN is moving Key Lime and Boutique up to C, so that F9 can use the ground loaded spots on A East and my guess is that those spots overnight may also be used for occasional spillover of DL and AA RONs since the current allocation would cut one gate from AA/DL with UA moving in to A West.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

smokeybandit

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm

We're thrilled to join Griz and our partners
@FlyFrontier
to celebrate service to four more destinations from DEN!
Service to:
Anchorage, AK
Durango, CO
Grand Junction, CO
Kalispell, MT

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 21857?s=20

DEN1895

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:06 pm

alasizon wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
timf wrote:

There is no need for AS or B6 to be co-located with AA in what is an outstation for all three. B6 and AA's partnership covers the northeast only, DEN is nowhere near the northeast and they must be competitive against one another outside the northeast. For AS, it is an outstation with customers traveling to SEA to make connections, that is it. No giant connection potential within DEN from AS to AA and vice versa.

CALMSP wrote:

There is no way DL could move to C right now without taking gates away from WN. WN was guaranteed the 12 additional gates they asked for so to take away 5 for DL does no good.

There is a reason DEN is moving Key Lime and Boutique up to C, so that F9 can use the ground loaded spots on A East and my guess is that those spots overnight may also be used for occasional spillover of DL and AA RONs since the current allocation would cut one gate from AA/DL with UA moving in to A West.

After the construction is complete, there will be 5 non SW gates on C Concourse, they will be C30,32,34,36,38. Only C38 can support aircraft larger than an A321, it can fit up to a 757. I think that would be a disadvantage for DL compared to A where they have gates capable of WB aircraft currently. Even if DL gets moved to non-WB capable gates, they would always have access to the common use gates if they are located on A. DL would also loose the ability to have their RONs park on the common use gates, or it would at least be very inconvenient for them needing to run split ops from 2 concourses.

While we will probably not know the final gate assignments until later this year, I think that it would be nice if some of the domestic airlines that don't have assigned gates were to move to C. If Jet Blue, Allegiant, Sun Country all moved out there it would open up the common use gates for more International flights, and provide overflow space for both AA and DL if needed throughout the day.

sprxUSA

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 pm

Hasn't F9 served all those before except for GJT. I know ANC, DRO, have been
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

TWA772LR

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 am

CALMSP wrote:
AV or Viva will probably be good options, I'd say JSX would go to APA before DEN given their focus on their customers. LX was expected to takeover, but that was for 2020, there won't be a ZRH coming back anytime soon.

Denver won't be getting a new Europe flight for a long time, at least a year after the pandemic is officially considered over. UA launching DEN-MUC would be my first guess then a resumption of ZRH on LX, probably 5x weekly on an A330 would suffice. And I would love to see JSX come to APA! I love in the southern suburbs of Denver right across 25 from APA, so close that the flight school Cessnas drone over my apartment complex 24/7. 145s don't have the best performance, however. Would one be able to make it to LAS from here? I know UA has used a ton of them out of DEN but the overwhelming majority were XRs with much better performance.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:03 am

CALMSP wrote:

Denver won't be getting a new Europe flight for a long time, at least a year after the pandemic is officially considered over. UA launching DEN-MUC would be my first guess then a resumption of ZRH on LX, probably 5x weekly on an A330 would suffice. And I would love to see JSX come to APA! I love in the southern suburbs of Denver right across 25 from APA, so close that the flight school Cessnas drone over my apartment complex 24/7. 145s don't have the best performance, however. Would one be able to make it to LAS from here? I know UA has used a ton of them out of DEN but the overwhelming majority were XRs with much better performance.

AndoAv8R

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

There has been talk of commercial air service into APA for as long as I can remember, however it never goes anywhere. And I believe they currently have a restriction of no aircraft over 30 passengers as well.

CALMSP

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

I never said anything about a Europe flight???

As for going to LAS, it'd be no problem, UA has had plenty of flights leaving DEN on regular ERJ's, as does DAC.

Seafinw

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Is there any update on the new SWA hangar?
Northwest Airlines Cargo Fanboy.

LASVegan

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:13 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
We're thrilled to join Griz and our partners
@FlyFrontier
to celebrate service to four more destinations from DEN!
Service to:
Anchorage, AK
Durango, CO
Grand Junction, CO
Kalispell, MT

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 21857?s=20

All very cool adds. DEN-GJT hasn’t seen mainline service since the early 90s when CO ran a R/T or 2 a day in addition to COEX flights. I think CO ran mainline DEN-GJT all the way to when they pretty much shuttered their DEN hub in 93. In the past UA, CO and FL (old Frontier) all did DEN-GJT mainline. Too bad F9s is only going to be 3 days a week but definitely better than nothing.

DEN1895

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 pm

Seafinw wrote:

I don't have any recent pictures, but the hangar is still slowly progressing. The ramp and taxiway tie ins to the airport will be completed this summer.

ADent

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:30 am

AndoAv8R wrote:
It has appeared from flight tracking den-hnl/ogg/koa/lih flights are in pretty big demand, seems like HNL and OGG are flown by 777's frequently. So Hawaiian may be able to do pretty well here.

DEN-HNL & OGG are typically 777-200 year round - but with the PW 777 fleet grounded, who knows what is flying (I haven't been looking.)

HNL and OGG typically go daily double for parts of the year (second flights are typ 757s). Looks like the 2021 plan is daily double for June thru Aug with 12X weekly flights May, Sept, Oct (approx).

Plus daily LIH and KOA.

KFTG

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am

DEN-HNL and DEN-OGG are currently on a GE-powered 777-200ER.

jhsusman

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Sounds like the new airline is Air France, 3x weekly 787-9. . .

Wednesdayite

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:44 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

It rarely pays to be quite so sure with future predictions.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. E145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

TWA772LR

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

I've gotten used to putting my foot in my mouth lol

CALMSP

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:03 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Wednesdayite wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

ha! but I think we can all agree, no one can see this getting off the ground right now. France has been super strict, and I can't see that changing in 60 days. 2022, def.

jetmatt777

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:14 am

Could be some strategy at play here to build some extra pressure on politicians to ease travel restrictions. This came out of nowhere, and the way the wording is laid out indicates that.

AshFlops

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:55 am

jhsusman wrote:
Sounds like the new airline is Air France, 3x weekly 787-9. . .

Starting July 2, 2021. I still think that TK to IST is next. SA hub connections, much better for flights from DEN to DXB/TLV/etc.

Chuska

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am

sprxUSA wrote:
Hasn't F9 served all those before except for GJT. I know ANC, DRO, have been

F9 served DEN-GJT with Lynx DH4's in 2008 thru 2010. I don't have record of F9 serving FCA before though. The old Frontier (FL) did.

AAguy1992

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:42 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Wrong, open mouth insert foot. AF CDG DEN.
AAGuy 1992 :D

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:17 pm

AAguy1992 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Wrong, open mouth insert foot. AF CDG DEN.

Way ahead of ya!
TWA772LR wrote:

DEN1895

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:32 pm

Seafinw wrote:

Here are some photos of the Hangar

msp747

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:48 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

CALMSP wrote:

After the construction is complete, there will be 5 non SW gates on C Concourse, they will be C30,32,34,36,38. Only C38 can support aircraft larger than an A321, it can fit up to a 757. I think that would be a disadvantage for DL compared to A where they have gates capable of WB aircraft currently. Even if DL gets moved to non-WB capable gates, they would always have access to the common use gates if they are located on A. DL would also loose the ability to have their RONs park on the common use gates, or it would at least be very inconvenient for them needing to run split ops from 2 concourses.

While we will probably not know the final gate assignments until later this year, I think that it would be nice if some of the domestic airlines that don't have assigned gates were to move to C. If Jet Blue, Allegiant, Sun Country all moved out there it would open up the common use gates for more International flights, and provide overflow space for both AA and DL if needed throughout the day.

I seem to remember when UA and WN agreed to take those additional gates that the airport said it would pursue an A East expansion. I haven't heard anything about it since and I'm assuming COVID is a big reason why. Has their been any more talk about this? Or does it remain a pipe dream?

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 pm

Someone uploaded a video of Boutique Air flying BNA-MSL-PNS.

https://youtu.be/L3t9n4B0PrQ

I know that’s not Denver, but the reason I bring it up here is because with that recent addition in MSL (6 daily flights) and the recent loss of their Chadron, Nebraska contract from DEN, this means the airline will have only 5 flights a day from Denver.

Boutique used to have so many destinations from Denver and tons of flights. Anyone think they will someday make a comeback in DEN? Or will their hub continue to decline
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

Seafinw

Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:36 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
Seafinw wrote:

Here are some photos of the Hangar

Thanks for the pictures. When I moved away they were just beginning ground work so its nice to see an actual building.
Northwest Airlines Cargo Fanboy.

Chuska

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:30 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Someone uploaded a video of Boutique Air flying BNA-MSL-PNS.

https://youtu.be/L3t9n4B0PrQ

I know that’s not Denver, but the reason I bring it up here is because with that recent addition in MSL (6 daily flights) and the recent loss of their Chadron, Nebraska contract from DEN, this means the airline will have only 5 flights a day from Denver.

Boutique used to have so many destinations from Denver and tons of flights. Anyone think they will someday make a comeback in DEN? Or will their hub continue to decline

Since SkyWest got ALS, DDC, CNY, and VEL and Denver Air Conx took over TEX, all with jets, I don't see Boutique making a comeback at DEN. They might get AIA and CDR back some day and/or they could loose their last two destinations, CEZ and MCK. Kind of like Great Lakes which had a massive DEN hub for many years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos