Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetmatt777

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:05 pm

No one has ever claimed she was incompetent because she’s a woman. You bring this up anytime anyone mentions her.

She did a terrible job. The airport is in terrible disrepair. The Great Hall Project has been a blunder. She was the CEO, it’s her responsibility. She never took responsibility for the airport turning into a dump during her watch.

It has nothing to do with her gender.

airfrnt

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:15 pm

To quote the above article - Queen bee” is a derogatory term applied to women who have achieved success in traditionally male-dominated fields.

If that isn’t obscene enough, how about the reference to her as “the mayor’s side dish”. Or the sexist comments on her hair, when she was undergoing chemo. Your choice.

In terms of the great hall - I agree that it was initially mismanaged. I also appreciate that unlike the earlier mismanagement before her (the luggage system, the F9 situation, etc). They realized it,and fixed the problem. Something’s I love about the airport - the train to The airport is done. The hotel works, the airport is top 3 in the US right now capacity wise. The airport has grown because of a consistently executed plan, and low per-passenger cost for the airlines. Somethings- the contract for elevators, and maintenance that was deferred to keep per passenger cost low have had negative impact. Something’s I really disagreed with (the east/west concourse) never where done.

Let’s also note that she is basically being replaced by a someone with zero experience in the aviation biz. All of the criticisms that were initially laid at her feet when she was accounted - she only got the job because she was connected to the gov/mayor, or was unqualified having only been a deputy at LAX prior to the airport show the clear double standard when compared to the current appointment.

Regardless, some need to be honest and come to the conclusion that the most objections to Day seem to have a lot more to do with what’s between her legs then the state of the airport.

jetmatt777

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:27 pm

I think if you ask most people, they don’t know who the CEO is of the airport. All they know is the trains have become unreliable, the bathrooms are disgusting, the escalators are always broken, the elevators sound like the cables are about to snap, the carpet is stained, the ceiling tiles are covered in black soot, the terminal project has been going on forever, the curbside pickup areas are dingy and dark, Pena Blvd is always congested among a laundry list of other things. No one cares who the CEO is, people care about the crappy state of repair the airport has fallen to.

Anytime anyone says anything negative about the job she has done, you throw up the sexist card. I have seen no one ever say on this board that the state of the airport has anything to do with her gender or health status. It is simply a fact that she did a terrible job. I am sorry that is so offensive to you.

AndoAv8R

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:57 pm

This is nothing new and started all the way back when with incompetent Mayor Webb

smokeybandit

Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:41 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
I think if you ask most people, they don’t know who the CEO is of the airport. All they know is the trains have become unreliable, the bathrooms are disgusting, the escalators are always broken, the elevators sound like the cables are about to snap, the carpet is stained, the ceiling tiles are covered in black soot, the terminal project has been going on forever, the curbside pickup areas are dingy and dark, Pena Blvd is always congested among a laundry list of other things. No one cares who the CEO is, people care about the crappy state of repair the airport has fallen to.

Anytime anyone says anything negative about the job she has done, you throw up the sexist card. I have seen no one ever say on this board that the state of the airport has anything to do with her gender or health status. It is simply a fact that she did a terrible job. I am sorry that is so offensive to you.

Throw in how dirty the parking garages are. Discarded masks everywhere

AndoAv8R

Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:44 pm

Looks like Lufthansa will bring back the 747-400 starting October 31st can't wait to see it back!

ScottB

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:26 pm

airfrnt wrote:
Let’s also note that she is basically being replaced by a someone with zero experience in the aviation biz. All of the criticisms that were initially laid at her feet when she was accounted - she only got the job because she was connected to the gov/mayor, or was unqualified having only been a deputy at LAX prior to the airport show the clear double standard when compared to the current appointment.

The poster you quoted called her replacement "the Los Angles bus/train guy." That doesn't seem to be praise at all and it seems to acknowledge the fact that he has zero experience in aviation.

DEN1895

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:25 pm

July Passenger Numbers - A few interesting things to note:
- Pax traffic through customs up 3% over 2019, UA doubled the amount of customs pax since 2019. Only thing holding back international traffic now is pre-cleared from Canada.
- WN, AA, and AS all posted increases over 2019 pax levels, NK and F9 seem to be struggling the most of the major carriers.

Wednesdayite

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 am

What was going on with security this afternoon? I came through international arrivals just before 5pm, and the lines for security were the worst I’ve ever seen. Both were snaking out of the great hall and round into the baggage carousel areas. I was just happy I was arriving and not trying to catch a flight today.

jetmatt777

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:34 am

Wednesdayite wrote:
What was going on with security this afternoon? I came through international arrivals just before 5pm, and the lines for security were the worst I’ve ever seen. Both were snaking out of the great hall and round into the baggage carousel areas. I was just happy I was arriving and not trying to catch a flight today.

Not sure. But UA sent me this email today, for my dad’s flight out tomorrow.

“ Long TSA lines in DEN

We're expecting longer than usual lines for security screenings at Denver International Airport, and we encourage you to arrive early. You can save time by checking in with the United app and by packing your carry-on bag properly to facilitate the screening process. Your patience throughout the airport experience is appreciated. Thank you for choosing United.”

I am not sure if that means United is anticipating problems again tomorrow, or if that was just sent out to all itineraries within 24 hours of when the problem started.

GmoneyCO

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:

It’s been going on for a couple weeks now. I haven’t looked at TSA staffing numbers to see if this is a contributing issue but my last few trips through DIA show that there are a lot more inexperienced travelers triggering more alarms during the screening process which slows things down. This is not the first time that DIA has had this issue outside of the holiday travel season.

If you have Clear and PreCheck, life is still OK, it’s the normal lines that seem to be most impacted.

SEA

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:58 pm

I was at DEN twice for the first time in about 5 years last week - the state of disrepair was pretty sad. The bathrooms were indeed terrible and the overall condition and cleanliness was very poor. Coming from ATL before, the contrast was stark. Also the TSA lines were insane. And I was lead to switch lines 3x by TSA agents. There seemed to be a good amount of agents on the floor.

GmoneyCO

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:30 pm

SEA wrote:
I was at DEN twice for the first time in about 5 years last week - the state of disrepair was pretty sad. The bathrooms were indeed terrible and the overall condition and cleanliness was very poor. Coming from ATL before, the contrast was stark. Also the TSA lines were insane. And I was lead to switch lines 3x by TSA agents. There seemed to be a good amount of agents on the floor.

Unfortunately the disrepair at DEN has been a major problem for quite a while. The previous airport administration team has been called out multiple times by City audits for many issues. One theme that is starting to surface publicly (likely known internally at DEN for a while) is that the processes and team that manage vendor compliance are not up to par and are not properly enforcing contracts. Escalators/moving walkways, parking shuttles, the train, etc. have almost all been called out in various City audit reports the past couple of years and a lot of the issues seem to point back to improper management and oversight of the vendors responsible for each area. The airport has also not enforced penalties for missing service level targets over the vendors either.

Other aspects of the airport such as the bathrooms, ceiling air tiles, etc. I believe are handled by internal maintenance teams which have been short staffed for a number of years now. Denver as a whole has been in a construction boom for several years now which has made it hard for the airport for the airport to attract/retain employees. It's long past time for the airport team to have figured out a solution to this issue though.

CALMSP

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:09 am

was going through security last Wednesday at 15:00 and kid you not, only 2 people in security line for the north checkpoint. absolutely empty.

intotheair

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:56 am

The airport was warning people to arrive at least two hours before their flight last week — my sense is that there may be a TSA staffing shortage, though of course the construction doesn't make it very easy either.

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 8612824066

If you have TSA Pre, DEN is manageable. The normal line looks like it can really swell up to the point where it's a 30+ minute wait, or so I've heard. Aside from the fact that the north security Pre line never seems to be open, and that bridge security has never had a Pre line, I haven't really had any issues going through Pre. But then the train can still be a problem. Chances are your train may be packed, you'll have to wait for a second train, at least one of the escalators on your way up to the gate will be broken, or all of the above.

This airport is just really showing that it was never designed for more than 50 million passengers a year. Once it hit 60 million about five years ago, everything seemingly got dramatically worse.

AshFlops

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 am

intotheair wrote:
The airport was warning people to arrive at least two hours before their flight last week — my sense is that there may be a TSA staffing shortage, though of course the construction doesn't make it very easy either.

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 8612824066

If you have TSA Pre, DEN is manageable. The normal line looks like it can really swell up to the point where it's a 30+ minute wait, or so I've heard. Aside from the fact that the north security Pre line never seems to be open, and that bridge security has never had a Pre line, I haven't really had any issues going through Pre. But then the train can still be a problem. Chances are your train may be packed, you'll have to wait for a second train, at least one of the escalators on your way up to the gate will be broken, or all of the above.

This airport is just really showing that it was never designed for more than 50 million passengers a year. Once it hit 60 million about five years ago, everything seemingly got dramatically worse.

This is all true. I flew out this morning and the security lines on both sides stretched out to bag claim. TSA PreCheck was mildly better, but it still took me over 20 minutes to get through security, the worst wait at DEN I have experienced in my 1000+ flights.

In terms of the capacity of the terminal, one has to remember that the airport was designed for 40% O/D, 60% Transfer. However, today the opposite is true and O/D is the majority of the traffic. This in addition to the 60M+ pax has caused the terminal become so overcrowded, and the train to become the bottleneck of the entire operation. They can expand the concourses all they want, but if people can't reliably get through the terminal in order to access the concourses, it doesn't really matter.

And don't get me started on the restroom situation, it is better to use the lav on the plane than those disgusting restrooms on the concourses.

Also, I once complained to the airport that so many of the escalators were broken. They asked me which ones, I said "all of them".

intotheair

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:29 am

AshFlops wrote:
In terms of the capacity of the terminal, one has to remember that the airport was designed for 40% O/D, 60% Transfer. However, today the opposite is true and O/D is the majority of the traffic. This in addition to the 60M+ pax has caused the terminal become so overcrowded, and the train to become the bottleneck of the entire operation. They can expand the concourses all they want, but if people can't reliably get through the terminal in order to access the concourses, it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I'm aware, and perhaps I should temper my criticism about that somewhat. I have it in my head that I think they even planned for as low as 30% O&D and that DEN wouldn't hit 50 MAP until 2025. Plus, there was no byzantine TSA shakedown in 1995 taking up valuable time from passengers and all of the Great Hall space.

I am still cautiously optimistic that the Great Hall redevelopment will be worth it in the end, though the construction is going to get worse when they start messing around with the checkpoints.

I'm sure the new trains and train software will help, but how much? I really hope they eventually build those outside train loops on the end nodes of all the concourses. I don't know how expensive it would be to build those tunnels and whether those nodes could be retrofit with station platforms underneath them, but that would really make it easier to move people in and out of the concourses.

ADent

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:13 am

It seems like the TSA lines are longer on the weekends.

ADent

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 am

intotheair wrote:
I really hope they eventually build those outside train loops on the end nodes of all the concourses. I don't know how expensive it would be to build those tunnels and whether those nodes could be retrofit with station platforms underneath them, but that would really make it easier to move people in and out of the concourses.

The latest plans are to keep the single train and build new concourses around the main terminal (rather than the original master plan that had concourse D & E).

With the change in administration maybe the plans will get updated?

Wednesdayite

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:25 pm

intotheair wrote:
The Air France KLM USA CEO told the Denver Business Journal in early July that the flight is already doing well. Article is paywalled, but some highlights in case you missed it:

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... paris.html

Denver had been on the company’s radar for a while, said Stéphane Ormand, vice president and general manager of USA for Air France KLM. But when the pandemic hit, Denver moved from being somewhere on a list of possible destinations to the very top of the queue.

“When the crisis happened, we had to reshuffle. A destination that was business-oriented, like Houston or Seattle, would have been tricky,” Ormand told Denver Business Journal on July 1. “But Denver had strong potential on the leisure side.”

For the Denver flight, {that European visitors are barred from travel to the U.S.} means that Air France is starting low and slow, with just three flights a week and no expectation for full capacity yet. But already, the Denver to Paris route has had a welcome reception from customers, Ormand said.

“Quickly, the business is ramping up in a nicer way than what we were expecting,” Ormand said. As demand for Denver continues and when restrictions are fully lifted, he said it’s possible the airline will add more flights over the year.

Ormand also said that there is potential for Air France to add destinations to its Denver routes.

“We could explore, very realistically, a flight from Denver to Amsterdam,” he said. “I don’t want to make a projection now, but the Amsterdam market is not that small and Amsterdam’s connecting potential is huge. A KLM flight from Denver to Amsterdam could be a nice future project.”

I flew AF in to DEN on Sunday. I'd estimate the flight was about 40% full, which was better than I anticipated. Obviously just U.S. citizens, GC holders, and certain visa holders allowed at the moment.

Makes me wonder about capacity at international arrivals though. Especially given that article's comments about KLM. There were only a small number of arrivals. LH from FRA, WN (somewhere in Mexico), and AF but the lines at immigration were long. When passenger numbers rebound, the afternoon trans-Atlantic arrivals peak could be miserable with full flights *potentially* landing in a short window from LHR (*2), FRA, MUC, CDG, AMS, DUB, IST, etc.

DEN1895

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 pm

C East Update

First picture from the existing concourse looking east, the covered objects are the moving walkways. The wall with windows at the end on the mezzanine level is WN's new office space.

This is a picture of the skylight in the sub-core

Concession space with the high ceilings and large glass wall

Bathrooms similar to B West with the sinks facing the windows

Terrace at the east end

Stair/Escalator/Elevator down to the commuter gates

The commuter gates

jplatts

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of DEN in June 2021:
ABQ-DEN - 24316 passengers, 26503 seats, 91.75% load factor
ALB-DEN - 7089 passengers, 7647 seats, 92.70% load factor
ATL-DEN - 29953 passengers, 34295 seats, 87.34% load factor
AUS-DEN - 39476 passengers, 48112 seats, 82.05% load factor
DEN-MDW - 56629 passengers, 66966 seats, 84.56% load factor
BDL-DEN - 7229 passengers, 8080 seats, 89.47% load factor
BHM-DEN - 7525 passengers, 8868 seats, 84.86% load factor
BNA-DEN - 41202 passengers, 47407 seats, 86.91% load factor
BOI-DEN - 16330 passengers, 19419 seats, 84.09% load factor
BOS-DEN - 23667 passengers, 26251 seats, 90.16% load factor
BUF-DEN - 8784 passengers, 9655 seats, 90.98% load factor
BUR-DEN - 22791 passengers, 26183 seats, 87.05% load factor
BWI-DEN - 39511 passengers, 43192 seats, 91.48% load factor
BZN-DEN - 17267 passengers, 30806 seats, 56.05% load factor
CHS-DEN - 7971 passengers, 9905 seats, 80.47% load factor
CLE-DEN - 16484 passengers, 17825 seats, 92.48% load factor
CLT-DEN - 6820 passengers, 8106 seats, 84.14% load factor
CMH-DEN - 21195 passengers, 23993 seats, 88.34% load factor
COS-DEN - 24947 passengers, 34684 seats, 71.93% load factor
CVG-DEN - 8617 passengers, 9495 seats, 90.75% load factor
DAL-DEN - 60744 passengers, 73699 seats, 82.42% load factor
DEN-DSM - 6780 passengers, 8189 seats, 82.79% load factor
DEN-DTW - 12357 passengers, 14086 seats, 87.73% load factor
DEN-ECP - 6336 passengers, 8392 seats, 75.50% load factor
DEN-ELP - 6353 passengers, 7007 seats, 90.67% load factor
DEN-FAT - 8367 passengers, 9220 seats, 90.75% load factor
DEN-FLL - 14484 passengers, 17157 seats, 84.42% load factor
DEN-GEG - 23101 passengers, 26855 seats, 86.02% load factor
DEN-GRR - 8769 passengers, 10840 seats, 80.89% load factor
DEN-HDN - 3876 passengers, 8883 seats, 43.63% load factor
DEN-HOU - 49423 passengers, 57210 seats, 86.39% load factor
DEN-IAD - 14994 passengers, 16431 seats, 91.25% load factor
DEN-IAH - 19045 passengers, 24433 seats, 77.95% load factor
DEN-ICT - 8646 passengers, 9254 seats, 93.43% load factor
DEN-IND - 25468 passengers, 28082 seats, 90.69% load factor
DEN-JAX - 9236 passengers, 9907 seats, 93.23% load factor
DEN-LAS - 60283 passengers, 70346 seats, 85.69% load factor
DEN-LAX - 39184 passengers, 45185 seats, 86.72% load factor
DEN-LGA - 13305 passengers, 14206 seats, 93.66% load factor
DEN-LGB - 24403 passengers, 32541 seats, 74.99% load factor
DEN-LIT - 7832 passengers, 8234 seats, 95.12% load factor
DEN-MAF - 3671 passengers, 5690 seats, 64.52% load factor
DEN-MCI - 35873 passengers, 40837 seats, 87.84% load factor
DEN-MCO - 41804 passengers, 45365 seats, 92.15% load factor
DEN-MEM - 6924 passengers, 7754 seats, 89.30% load factor
DEN-MIA - 13948 passengers, 17057 seats, 81.77% load factor
DEN-MKE - 25825 passengers, 31013 seats, 83.27% load factor
DEN-MSP - 30541 passengers, 34511 seats, 88.50% load factor
DEN-MSY - 23002 passengers, 26259 seats, 87.60% load factor
DEN-MTJ - 5236 passengers, 8469 seats, 61.83% load factor
DEN-OAK - 41550 passengers, 44906 seats, 92.53% load factor
DEN-OKC - 22892 passengers, 24467 seats, 93.56% load factor
DEN-OMA - 29868 passengers, 33574 seats, 88.96% load factor
DEN-ONT - 24052 passengers, 25713 seats, 93.54% load factor
DEN-ORD - 33558 passengers, 40565 seats, 82.73% load factor
DEN-ORF - 6568 passengers, 6977 seats, 94.14% load factor
DEN-PDX - 38471 passengers, 43404 seats, 88.63% load factor
DEN-PHL - 23510 passengers, 25815 seats, 91.07% load factor
DEN-PHX - 70074 passengers, 79103 seats, 88.59% load factor
DEN-PIT - 14816 passengers, 16506 seats, 89.76% load factor
DEN-PNS - 7817 passengers, 9077 seats, 86.12% load factor
DEN-PSP - 7196 passengers, 8710 seats, 82.62% load factor
DEN-RDU - 17361 passengers, 19214 seats, 90.36% load factor
DEN-RIC - 7316 passengers, 8123 seats, 90.07% load factor
DEN-RNO - 22888 passengers, 26746 seats, 85.58% load factor
DEN-RSW - 8048 passengers, 9239 seats, 87.11% load factor
DEN-SAN - 52877 passengers, 57801 seats, 91.48% load factor
DEN-SAT - 28742 passengers, 32933 seats, 87.27% load factor
DEN-SAV - 650 passengers, 715 seats, 90.91% load factor
DEN-SBA - 7597 passengers, 9028 seats, 84.15% load factor
DEN-SDF - 8120 passengers, 9094 seats, 89.29% load factor
DEN-SEA - 41454 passengers, 50607 seats, 81.91% load factor
DEN-SFO - 21549 passengers, 23436 seats, 91.95% load factor
DEN-SJC - 33692 passengers, 38027 seats, 88.60% load factor
DEN-SLC - 45290 passengers, 61834 seats, 73.24% load factor
DEN-SMF - 41422 passengers, 47227 seats, 87.71% load factor
DEN-SNA - 39456 passengers, 49199 seats, 80.20% load factor
DEN-SRQ - 5656 passengers, 7327 seats, 77.19% load factor
DEN-STL - 42457 passengers, 47699 seats, 89.01% load factor
DEN-TPA - 32451 passengers, 35603 seats, 91.15% load factor
DEN-TUL - 15027 passengers, 16918 seats, 88.82% load factor
DEN-TUS - 16677 passengers, 18282 seats, 91.22% load factor

DEN1895

Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:44 pm

B East Update - sorry some of the pictures are a little dark, they are transitioning from the construction lighting to the final lighting.

Connection to the existing concourse, this is the most complete section with all utilities installed and flooring complete.

Future concession space, the concession will surround the white box on the left side.

Skylight near the restroom/subcore area.

From the farthest point of the expansion looking back, this section still has the most work to be completed.

O23

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:27 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of DEN in June 2021:
ABQ-DEN - 24316 passengers, 26503 seats, 91.75% load factor
ALB-DEN - 7089 passengers, 7647 seats, 92.70% load factor
ATL-DEN - 29953 passengers, 34295 seats, 87.34% load factor
AUS-DEN - 39476 passengers, 48112 seats, 82.05% load factor
DEN-MDW - 56629 passengers, 66966 seats, 84.56% load factor
BDL-DEN - 7229 passengers, 8080 seats, 89.47% load factor
BHM-DEN - 7525 passengers, 8868 seats, 84.86% load factor
BNA-DEN - 41202 passengers, 47407 seats, 86.91% load factor
BOI-DEN - 16330 passengers, 19419 seats, 84.09% load factor
BOS-DEN - 23667 passengers, 26251 seats, 90.16% load factor
BUF-DEN - 8784 passengers, 9655 seats, 90.98% load factor
BUR-DEN - 22791 passengers, 26183 seats, 87.05% load factor
BWI-DEN - 39511 passengers, 43192 seats, 91.48% load factor
BZN-DEN - 17267 passengers, 30806 seats, 56.05% load factor
CHS-DEN - 7971 passengers, 9905 seats, 80.47% load factor
CLE-DEN - 16484 passengers, 17825 seats, 92.48% load factor
CLT-DEN - 6820 passengers, 8106 seats, 84.14% load factor
CMH-DEN - 21195 passengers, 23993 seats, 88.34% load factor
COS-DEN - 24947 passengers, 34684 seats, 71.93% load factor
CVG-DEN - 8617 passengers, 9495 seats, 90.75% load factor
DAL-DEN - 60744 passengers, 73699 seats, 82.42% load factor
DEN-DSM - 6780 passengers, 8189 seats, 82.79% load factor
DEN-DTW - 12357 passengers, 14086 seats, 87.73% load factor
DEN-ECP - 6336 passengers, 8392 seats, 75.50% load factor
DEN-ELP - 6353 passengers, 7007 seats, 90.67% load factor
DEN-FAT - 8367 passengers, 9220 seats, 90.75% load factor
DEN-FLL - 14484 passengers, 17157 seats, 84.42% load factor
DEN-GEG - 23101 passengers, 26855 seats, 86.02% load factor
DEN-GRR - 8769 passengers, 10840 seats, 80.89% load factor
DEN-HDN - 3876 passengers, 8883 seats, 43.63% load factor
DEN-HOU - 49423 passengers, 57210 seats, 86.39% load factor
DEN-IAD - 14994 passengers, 16431 seats, 91.25% load factor
DEN-IAH - 19045 passengers, 24433 seats, 77.95% load factor
DEN-ICT - 8646 passengers, 9254 seats, 93.43% load factor
DEN-IND - 25468 passengers, 28082 seats, 90.69% load factor
DEN-JAX - 9236 passengers, 9907 seats, 93.23% load factor
DEN-LAS - 60283 passengers, 70346 seats, 85.69% load factor
DEN-LAX - 39184 passengers, 45185 seats, 86.72% load factor
DEN-LGA - 13305 passengers, 14206 seats, 93.66% load factor
DEN-LGB - 24403 passengers, 32541 seats, 74.99% load factor
DEN-LIT - 7832 passengers, 8234 seats, 95.12% load factor
DEN-MAF - 3671 passengers, 5690 seats, 64.52% load factor
DEN-MCI - 35873 passengers, 40837 seats, 87.84% load factor
DEN-MCO - 41804 passengers, 45365 seats, 92.15% load factor
DEN-MEM - 6924 passengers, 7754 seats, 89.30% load factor
DEN-MIA - 13948 passengers, 17057 seats, 81.77% load factor
DEN-MKE - 25825 passengers, 31013 seats, 83.27% load factor
DEN-MSP - 30541 passengers, 34511 seats, 88.50% load factor
DEN-MSY - 23002 passengers, 26259 seats, 87.60% load factor
DEN-MTJ - 5236 passengers, 8469 seats, 61.83% load factor
DEN-OAK - 41550 passengers, 44906 seats, 92.53% load factor
DEN-OKC - 22892 passengers, 24467 seats, 93.56% load factor
DEN-OMA - 29868 passengers, 33574 seats, 88.96% load factor
DEN-ONT - 24052 passengers, 25713 seats, 93.54% load factor
DEN-ORD - 33558 passengers, 40565 seats, 82.73% load factor
DEN-ORF - 6568 passengers, 6977 seats, 94.14% load factor
DEN-PDX - 38471 passengers, 43404 seats, 88.63% load factor
DEN-PHL - 23510 passengers, 25815 seats, 91.07% load factor
DEN-PHX - 70074 passengers, 79103 seats, 88.59% load factor
DEN-PIT - 14816 passengers, 16506 seats, 89.76% load factor
DEN-PNS - 7817 passengers, 9077 seats, 86.12% load factor
DEN-PSP - 7196 passengers, 8710 seats, 82.62% load factor
DEN-RDU - 17361 passengers, 19214 seats, 90.36% load factor
DEN-RIC - 7316 passengers, 8123 seats, 90.07% load factor
DEN-RNO - 22888 passengers, 26746 seats, 85.58% load factor
DEN-RSW - 8048 passengers, 9239 seats, 87.11% load factor
DEN-SAN - 52877 passengers, 57801 seats, 91.48% load factor
DEN-SAT - 28742 passengers, 32933 seats, 87.27% load factor
DEN-SAV - 650 passengers, 715 seats, 90.91% load factor
DEN-SBA - 7597 passengers, 9028 seats, 84.15% load factor
DEN-SDF - 8120 passengers, 9094 seats, 89.29% load factor
DEN-SEA - 41454 passengers, 50607 seats, 81.91% load factor
DEN-SFO - 21549 passengers, 23436 seats, 91.95% load factor
DEN-SJC - 33692 passengers, 38027 seats, 88.60% load factor
DEN-SLC - 45290 passengers, 61834 seats, 73.24% load factor
DEN-SMF - 41422 passengers, 47227 seats, 87.71% load factor
DEN-SNA - 39456 passengers, 49199 seats, 80.20% load factor
DEN-SRQ - 5656 passengers, 7327 seats, 77.19% load factor
DEN-STL - 42457 passengers, 47699 seats, 89.01% load factor
DEN-TPA - 32451 passengers, 35603 seats, 91.15% load factor
DEN-TUL - 15027 passengers, 16918 seats, 88.82% load factor
DEN-TUS - 16677 passengers, 18282 seats, 91.22% load factor

With such a high load factor on BDL and BOS I am still surprised no MHT or PVD has been added to DEN

DEN1895

Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:11 pm

The airport is starting the official planning and environmental review for the 7th runway. They are currently asking City Council to approve the contracts to begin the process. Current schedule has construction starting in 2025 and the runway opening in 2028. below is the full timeline.

DEN1895

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Great Hall Update
Phase 1 continues to move towards its completion date this year, while it will not help with the current TSA struggles, it will make navigating the terminal much easier.

East side, self check-in kiosk are being installed.

East side, FIDS installed and working.

East side, bathrooms nearly finished.

First new concession has started construction, hopefully they have a quick turn around and are able to finish this year.

Over looking the central area of level 5, most of the tile is complete and covered for protection.

West side, still about 1 month behind the east side.

AndoAv8R

Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:39 pm

Do we know if this new runway will be another 8/26 in the northeast corner or 7/25 south of Pena?

jetmatt777

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:39 pm

I think it still has to be studied still. 8/26 would be the most impactful to improving the operation, especially arrivals. Strong windy E/W days cripple the airport because crosswind components are exceeded on most aircraft for the N/S runways. It turns the airport into a 2 runway operation. They can launch the departures pretty quickly off of 7/25 but the reduced arrival rate is crippling. So operationally speaking that would be the best bang for the buck.

But, getting another 7/25 built and approved ahead of the rapidly encroaching neighborhoods may be the wisest move strategically. Arrivals will have a mega long taxi off of the 25L runway, so 26 will still handle the brunt of the arrivals on strong westerly wind days.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. Both have their merits.

cosyr

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
I think it still has to be studied still. 8/26 would be the most impactful to improving the operation, especially arrivals. Strong windy E/W days cripple the airport because crosswind components are exceeded on most aircraft for the N/S runways. It turns the airport into a 2 runway operation. They can launch the departures pretty quickly off of 7/25 but the reduced arrival rate is crippling. So operationally speaking that would be the best bang for the buck.

But, getting another 7/25 built and approved ahead of the rapidly encroaching neighborhoods may be the wisest move strategically. Arrivals will have a mega long taxi off of the 25L runway, so 26 will still handle the brunt of the arrivals on strong westerly wind days.

Why should encroaching neighborhoods be a problem? Doesn't the airport own the land?

jetmatt777

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:59 pm

cosyr wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Why should encroaching neighborhoods be a problem? Doesn't the airport own the land?

Get it built before opposition can build next door. Plenty of morons buy houses next to airports and then complain about the noise when the airport expands.

panam330

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 pm

The check-in areas look so anonymous now - it could literally be any airport, anywhere with its generic lighting, no real standout architecture or anything else. Maybe it'll be different once it's done and there's some kind of advertising or whatever up, idk. That said, it's refreshing to see them inching closer to completion either way; it's been a long few years.

joeblow10

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 pm

panam330 wrote:
The check-in areas look so anonymous now - it could literally be any airport, anywhere with its generic lighting, no real standout architecture or anything else. Maybe it'll be different once it's done and there's some kind of advertising or whatever up, idk. That said, it's refreshing to see them inching closer to completion either way; it's been a long few years.

Agreed - but the airport has such a long way to go to getting back to a decent experience. Even once the great hall is finally finished, they have to turn around and do something about the disgusting bathrooms, crowded broken down trains, and other numerous problems out on the concourses. Or, I guess they could continue to let it crumble…

I don’t mind “hospital sterile”, but I certainly mind the subway station feel that DEN has become

panam330

Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Agreed - but the airport has such a long way to go to getting back to a decent experience. Even once the great hall is finally finished, they have to turn around and do something about the disgusting bathrooms, crowded broken down trains, and other numerous problems out on the concourses. Or, I guess they could continue to let it crumble…

100%. The airport has been completely mismanaged from a maintenance perspective for years. It's disgusting - especially the bathrooms, as you've said. I love Colorado, and I've lived here for over 10 years, but lack of maintenance seems to be a trend across the Denver metro at least.

AndoAv8R

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm

I thought 7R/25L would make most since given the fact it would give cargo access to a lot closer east/west (and given the fact how much demand for cargo has increased over the last few years), as well as a lot closer if they brought over a deicing truck so they wouldn't have to taxi to the west side of the concourses.

This information might have changed, but about 3 years ago a FedEx ramp employee said (at the time) they had been notified 7R/25L was in late design stages and construction to start by mid-late 2020's (i guess they will be doing some modifications to the ramp apron to accommodate it)

cosyr

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 pm

panam330 wrote:

What is going to be tricky is matching up the flooring. I understand when you build something new, you want to updated it, and not match it to the early 90's styling (although, the airport doesn't scream 90's to me. I thought it was fairly timeless and classy styling), but where the white flooring matches the granite, people are going to know they are stepping between old and new instantly. And I don't think that's a good thing.

CALMSP

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:49 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:
I thought 7R/25L would make most since given the fact it would give cargo access to a lot closer east/west (and given the fact how much demand for cargo has increased over the last few years), as well as a lot closer if they brought over a deicing truck so they wouldn't have to taxi to the west side of the concourses.

This information might have changed, but about 3 years ago a FedEx ramp employee said (at the time) they had been notified 7R/25L was in late design stages and construction to start by mid-late 2020's (i guess they will be doing some modifications to the ramp apron to accommodate it)

the airport mandated cargo deicing on the cargo pad back in 2019 to alleviate congestion on the WA pad. But may go back to WA deicing with limited flights compared to 2019.

smokeybandit

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:42 am

I have to admit those glittery floors coming off the train are really tough on the eye.

klwright69

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:31 am

UA is dropping RST from DEN. Here is the link.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-end-r ... 00585.html

Interesting UA is going to Honduras from DEN. But it's not TGU or SAP, it's Roatan

MAH4546

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:00 am

klwright69 wrote:

Interesting UA is going to Honduras from DEN. But it's not TGU or SAP, it's Roatan

TGU and SAP have very concentrated demand to the big VFR cities. RTB is American tourists it’s the only one that makes any sense from Denver.

smokeybandit

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:08 pm

I didn't realize there was any tourism in Roatan other than cruise ships

CALMSP

Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:19 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

a lot of diving for RTB.

atlflyer

Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:26 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
panam330 wrote:

I don’t mind “hospital sterile”, but I certainly mind the subway station feel that DEN has become

I’m hoping this is where the $560 million Phase II Concourse Renewal program comes in… but then they have to keep these renovations and new construction looking good!

aden23

Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:59 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

Believe it or not, Colorado has the most certified scuba divers per capita in the US.

So a nonstop flight to Roatan (scuba diving mecca) is almost a no brainer.

MohawkWeekend

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:01 pm

You just have to shake your head -
Denver’s airport makes plans to plug all oil and gas wells as it focuses on sustainability
City officials will hire new contractor, and project could finish by early 2024. https://www.denverpost.com/2021/09/27/d ... gas-wells/

So the obvious next question - will they ban the sale of oil based aviation fuels in 2025? You go guys!

FYI - Los Angeles California is doing the same but not quite so aggressively.

theAviationGeek

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:

According to the article you linked:
those 64 remaining wells, which have been idle since 2018

The wells have been idled for 3 years now. Why not clean up the landscape and allow for other land use options. Not sure this situation deserves a head shake.

-R

MohawkWeekend

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:56 pm

They were shut-in due to low prices. Guess what - prices aren't low any more. Google "European Energy Crisis". And check what oil and nat gas prices are in the last few days.
Anyone using fossil fuels in the next 6 months is going to find out real soon what shutting in any production is doing to prices. Especially those airlines.

And Denver Airport and sustainability? No airport in the US is increasing CO2 emissions at a greater rate both from increasing operations and the cement being used in it's expansion. Announce aggressive phase out or fossil fueled ground equipment? Severely limit private vehicle traffic to the airport? Heck no. But permanently pull that acreage away from energy production?

LAXdude1023

Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:07 pm

klwright69 wrote:

Its because Denver has very few Hondurans. RTB attracts Americans looking to dive, SAP and TGU attract Honduran immigrants.

DEN1895

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:09 am

MohawkWeekend wrote:
Denver’s airport makes plans to plug all oil and gas wells as it focuses on sustainability
City officials will hire new contractor, and project could finish by early 2024. https://www.denverpost.com/2021/09/27/d ... gas-wells/

So the obvious next question - will they ban the sale of oil based aviation fuels in 2025? You go guys!

FYI - Los Angeles California is doing the same but not quite so aggressively.

Per the article the wells have been shut off since 2018 when the original pipeline contractor closed off all the pipes that lead to and from the airport. In total, it would cost millions of dollars to run new pipes, in addition to the annual running cost. The article stated that the wells only brought in 2.3 million in their last year of operation. Not even looking at the environmental piece of the equation it makes sense to plug the wells for financial reasons.

MohawkWeekend

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:26 pm

The remaining wells may have been uneconomic but my beef is 2 fold -
1) how aviation (which includes airports) is really good at green washing. Airline's running ads proclaiming their green credentials with promises that no one can hold them too. In DEN's focus on sustainabilty, don't mention that expanding your airport to now one of the fastest growing sources of CO2 in North America.
2) DEN is alot of acreage. Nat Gas prices in 2018 were half of what they are now. They should be drilling more gas wells on the property not shutting in the ones they have. How do they heat the terminals in the winter?

joeljack

Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Does anybody know when security situation is going to be fixed? My friend said it took him a hour and 15 minutes to make it through yesterday morning and he said everything was open at both north and south checkpoints as well as the bridge. He said line moved fast but the length of it was atrociously long and snaked through every hallway and baggage claim area imaginable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos