Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smokeybandit

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:38 pm

In what may serve as an anticlimactic end to a years-long dispute between metro Denver governments and the Federal Aviation Administration, a federal court has dismissed Centennial Airport’s challenge to the FAA’s plan to reroute airplane traffic in the Mile High City.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/06/21/denv ... l-airport/

DEN1895

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:48 pm

Some more positive news this week, both Snooze and Shake Shack on B concourse should be opening this week. Hopefully this will help with some of the lines at the other concessions.

f18raider

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:04 pm

https://investor.turkishairlines.com/en ... nouncement

Looks like Turkish is starting DEN! Great news

mkorpal333

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm

DEN is on a roll recently. I'm really looking forward to seeing these birds all lined up at the new A next year.

DEN1895

Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:51 pm

Additional pictures of the recently opened area of the Great Hall, it's nice to see things starting to finish as we near the end of the 1st phase.

intotheair

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:34 am

Looks nice. Could someone please explain to me though how the foot traffic flow will ultimately be down to the platforms and back up? I thought those entrances and exit were going to be reconfigured, but I'm confused now. Are arriving passengers still going to exit the trains from the side platforms, but now come up into the secure area of the terminal and be mixed with departing passengers?

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:39 am

intotheair wrote:
Looks nice. Could someone please explain to me though how the foot traffic flow will ultimately be down to the platforms and back up? I thought those entrances and exit were going to be reconfigured, but I'm confused now. Are arriving passengers still going to exit the trains from the side platforms, but now come up into the secure area of the terminal and be mixed with departing passengers?

Following the feedback, the terminal configuration will remain as it was before. Everyone did not like the idea of having larger secure area in the terminal with concessions so it will now be similar to how it is now, once you go through security you will go directly to the train. All future concessions will remain on the public side. The train platforms will remain the same as well, board on the center platform, exit on the side platforms.

Runway765

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:09 am

DEN1895 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

Following the feedback, the terminal configuration will remain as it was before. Everyone did not like the idea of having larger secure area in the terminal with concessions so it will now be similar to how it is now, once you go through security you will go directly to the train. All future concessions will remain on the public side. The train platforms will remain the same as well, board on the center platform, exit on the side platforms.

So they are not moving the security to floor 6?

intotheair

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:55 am

DEN1895 wrote:

Interesting. I guess I know the idea was unpopular, but that was one of the main draws of the whole redevelopment alongside better security. Sounds like there might be a bit of a mess with the mixing of departing and arriving passengers all trying to get to and from the train.

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:32 am

intotheair wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

Interesting. I guess I know the idea was unpopular, but that was one of the main draws of the whole redevelopment alongside better security. Sounds like there might be a bit of a mess with the mixing of departing and arriving passengers all trying to get to and from the train.

The train will stay the same, passengers going to the concourse will board on one side and passengers leaving the concourses will depart the opposite side, no more mixing then there is today.

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:35 am

Runway765 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

So they are not moving the security to floor 6?

Security is still moving up to level 6, the first phase of that aspect starts in a few weeks. After security you will go from level 6 directly to level 4 where the train is bypassing level 5 completely. This will allow for both security checkpoints to eventually be removed and concessions to be added similar to the original plan, the only difference is that all concessions will be on the public side with 0 post security concessions in the terminal.

intotheair

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:58 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
The train will stay the same, passengers going to the concourse will board on one side and passengers leaving the concourses will depart the opposite side, no more mixing then there is today.

I guess I'm just confused by how that's going to look if the boundaries of the secure zone are still going to change. Isn't the northern 2/3rds of level 5 going to be post-security? So if arriving passengers are still going to arrive in the middle, they're going to be in a secure zone. And then what about the entrance on the south side in the middle (the current way downward to the platform from south security) – isn't that going to end up being pre-security in what will be the meeter and greeter area?

jetmatt777

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:56 pm

What a mess. This will cost hundreds of millions of dollars for an even more confusing airport experience. I hate to say it, but when I was parking in the terminal lot (when the employee lots were closed for COVID) I used to bring a change of clothes with me so passengers wouldn’t ask me for directions. I would get stopped no less than 3 or 4 times on my way out of the airport for how to get to baggage claim, or where is Island F, how do I get to level 3 of the garage the elevators only go to 2 and 4, etc. I used to be okay with it but it is really ridiculous that the airport is so messed up that it causes such mass confusion. It’s normal for a few people to get lost, but look at the eyes of everyone in the terminal - everyone looks lost.

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:29 pm

intotheair wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

I guess I'm just confused by how that's going to look if the boundaries of the secure zone are still going to change. Isn't the northern 2/3rds of level 5 going to be post-security? So if arriving passengers are still going to arrive in the middle, they're going to be in a secure zone. And then what about the entrance on the south side in the middle (the current way downward to the platform from south security) – isn't that going to end up being pre-security in what will be the meeter and greeter area?

I can't find a map of level 5 post construction, but level 5 will all remain outside of security. Once you come up from the train you will be outside security similar to how it is today, where south security is now is being designated at the pick-up/greeter area and where the new concessions will be concentrated. below is a map of Level 6 after phase 2.
The blue rectangle extending into the center of the Great Hall is the new escalators that will take you from security (Level 6) to the train (Level 4). The original plan had you first going to level 5 after security, this is where all of the concession would have been before the train, after walking through all of the concessions you would then go down to level 4 to reach the train. All of that has been removed simplifying the process.

For departing passengers it should now be:
Level 6 ticket counters -> Level 6 security -> Take the level 6 bridge to A or take escalators to Level 4.
There should never be a time when departing passengers go to level 5 after the ticket counters.

Arriving passengers will have the same experience as they did in 2018, once they get off the train they can go north or south to reach their baggage claim.

jetmatt777

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Am I seeing that right, there will be no security checkpoint accessible from the east side? All passengers will have to go to the NW corner of Level 6 to enter screening? People coming up from the RTD train will have to go up an extra level and then walk the entire length of the terminal?

My Lord.

timf

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:40 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
Level 6 ticket counters -> Level 6 security -> Take the level 6 bridge to A or take escalators to Level 4.
There should never be a time when departing passengers go to level 5 after the ticket counters.

The diagram you posted makes it appear the bridge to A remains part of the unsecure area, with the only option after exiting level 6 security being to take the escalator down to the train.
Last edited by timf on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ytib

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Am I seeing that right, there will be no security checkpoint accessible from the east side? All passengers will have to go to the NW corner of Level 6 to enter screening? People coming up from the RTD train will have to go up an extra level and then walk the entire length of the terminal?

My Lord.

Just about to type the same thing. The gridlock in that area and the lines will be the mess that everyone stated it would be years ago.

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

My Lord.

They are building the west checkpoint first, until the west side is complete both north and south screening will remain open. Once the west checkpoint is done the east side will have to use north screening until the east side is complete.

For the RTD arrivals they will need to go up to level 6 for screening.

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:07 pm

timf wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

The diagram you posted makes it appear the bridge to A remains part of the unsecure area, with the only option after exiting level 6 security being to take the escalator down to the train.

A Bridge will remain unsecure and the checkpoint will remain open until both the east and west checkpoint are complete, at that time A bridge will close and the entire corridor would become secure.

Runway765

Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:10 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

I can't find a map of level 5 post construction, but level 5 will all remain outside of security. Once you come up from the train you will be outside security similar to how it is today, where south security is now is being designated at the pick-up/greeter area and where the new concessions will be concentrated. below is a map of Level 6 after phase 2.
The blue rectangle extending into the center of the Great Hall is the new escalators that will take you from security (Level 6) to the train (Level 4). The original plan had you first going to level 5 after security, this is where all of the concession would have been before the train, after walking through all of the concessions you would then go down to level 4 to reach the train. All of that has been removed simplifying the process.

Arriving passengers will have the same experience as they did in 2018, once they get off the train they can go north or south to reach their baggage claim.

My head is spinning from how confusing this is....... DEN is an awesome airport, but why must the landside be so confusing?

smokeybandit

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:10 pm

DENVER – June 24, 2021 – Today, Denver International Airport (DEN) announced the appointment of Steve
Jaquith as its Chief Operating Officer (COO). As one of five executive vice president positions at the airport, he
will be responsible for managing DEN’s largest business unit including airport operations, maintenance,
sustainability, parking and ground transportation.

Jaquith brings nearly 40 years of airline experience working in customer service and operations. His most
recent role was the Vice President of Airport Operations for United Airlines where he had oversight of a $200
million annual budget and 4,000 employees. Prior to that, Jaquith served as the Managing Director for United
Airlines Denver Hub and Rocky Mountain Region. He also worked for Continental Airlines in a number of
different positions.

"We are so pleased that Steve has decided to join DEN as our new COO," said DEN CEO Kim Day. "Steve has
been a DEN partner for years, and he brings significant aviation experience, enabling him to step right in and
help us develop a path forward to a successful future."

Jaquith will begin his new role on June 30, 2021.

DEN1895

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 pm

Runway765 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

My head is spinning from how confusing this is....... DEN is an awesome airport, but why must the landside be so confusing?

it is hard to describe without more graphics what the layout will be through out the different phases and the final product, with that said for the average passenger I think it will simplify the process and improve the experience. I will try to break it down some below.

For a passenger is visiting from another location:
Arrival - After getting off the train they will proceed to baggage claim then they can proceed outside to the rental car or other ground transportation options, pretty much the same as it is currently.

Departure before the remodel - After getting off the shuttle the passenger has to take and escalator upstairs and head to the ticket counters. after that they must then walk around the ticket counters and go back down an escalator to go to security. For most people they walk the length of security from the center of the terminal out towards the end of the terminal for the start of the line, after security then they go down to the train, 3 total escalators up or down.

Departure in final configuration - After getting off the shuttle the passenger has to take and escalator upstairs and head to the ticket counters. But now the passengers will just continue north past the ticket counters to the entrance of security which will be in the the center of the terminal, rather than at the ends. Once completed with security every passenger will have the chance to take the bridge to A if they prefer that method. Currently passengers frequently complain that the bridge security does not have precheck, and that it limited hours. The final configuration will allow every one the opportunity to use the bridge 24/7. If passengers prefer to take the train it will just be one additional escalator after security to get to the train as they will go directly from 6->4.

I have spent a lot of time it the terminal assisting passengers before the Great Hall project began and people were often confused as they were given too many options to get to each location. People are use to older airports where you must go to specific security checkpoints/terminal depending on your airline, telling people that everything leads to the same place always seemed to confuse people as they wanted the security for UA. I think having more of a one direction flow through the terminal with everybody heading north after going to the ticket counter will help simplify things for people who travel very infrequently. While this will be less coinvent for some people I do believe that it will make it easier for those that need the most help.

intotheair

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 am

DEN1895 wrote:
the Great Hall is the new escalators that will take you from security (Level 6) to the train (Level 4). The original plan had you first going to level 5 after security, this is where all of the concession would have been before the train, after walking through all of the concessions you would then go down to level 4 to reach the train. All of that has been removed simplifying the process.

Thanks for answering all the questions; I really appreciate it. I thought I knew the project details pretty well, but I didn't realize there were so many changes after the Great Hall Partners were kicked out. Before that happened, I actually came around to the idea of post-security concessions in the Great Hall, even though that was the most controversial element. I'm a little disappointed that's no longer happening, though I'll take your word that the whole experience will still be better. I look forward to using Precheck and the bridge someday, even though I fly UA out of B 90% of the time these days.

If you don't mind my asking two more questions: are the post-security escalators going to be two stories tall and go directly from 6 to 4? Also, what will become of the existing level 5 to level 4 entrance where the south security is today? Will they just board that all up, more or less?

I like hearing all the updates. Even though I haven't lived in DEN in ten years, it still feels like my home airport, and it's the first airport I ever fell in love with as a kid. :) SFO might be my favorite now though.

DEN1895

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:52 am

intotheair wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
the Great Hall is the new escalators that will take you from security (Level 6) to the train (Level 4). The original plan had you first going to level 5 after security, this is where all of the concession would have been before the train, after walking through all of the concessions you would then go down to level 4 to reach the train. All of that has been removed simplifying the process.

Thanks for answering all the questions; I really appreciate it. I thought I knew the project details pretty well, but I didn't realize there were so many changes after the Great Hall Partners were kicked out. Before that happened, I actually came around to the idea of post-security concessions in the Great Hall, even though that was the most controversial element. I'm a little disappointed that's no longer happening, though I'll take your word that the whole experience will still be better. I look forward to using Precheck and the bridge someday, even though I fly UA out of B 90% of the time these days.

If you don't mind my asking two more questions: are the post-security escalators going to be two stories tall and go directly from 6 to 4? Also, what will become of the existing level 5 to level 4 entrance where the south security is today? Will they just board that all up, more or less?

I like hearing all the updates. Even though I haven't lived in DEN in ten years, it still feels like my home airport, and it's the first airport I ever fell in love with as a kid. :) SFO might be my favorite now though.

With UA taking half of A you might be using the bridge more often. As far as your other 2 questions, they have stated the escalators should be two stories tall, but the design is not finished so no guarantees. I would imagine they would just cover up the existing entrances to the train platform, while they have said what is taking south screenings place, they haven't said anything about what happens to north screening. I guess we will have to wait until 2024 to find out. I personally am optimistic about the future, after seeing B West and the other new areas of the airport it has given me some hope, I do realize there will be a lot more construction pains over the years as the concourse renovations begin and the Great Hall continues.

DEN1895

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:40 am

A few updates, the upcoming holiday weekend will be quite busy. With the Wed-Wed traffic down about 13%, there will be a couple of days in that one week timespan where 2021 will be busier than 2019. Great Hall Phase 2 starts in July so there will be some new construction walls going up in the terminal near the American ticket counters, while phase 1 is finishing it may be a rough few months with construction moving forward in multiple sections of the terminal on the west side. This week City Council approved $113 million dollars to be released to continue with upcoming improvement projects, the airport has not specified yet which projects will receive this funding. In addition to the money released by City Council, the airport will receive $204 million from the FAA for Covid relief. With $317 million in new funding it would be nice if they decided to finish the rest of the Great Hall, I guess we will have to wait and see what they decide to do.

DEN1895

Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:05 pm

The Denver Business Journal recently did a article about the new Air France flight. In the article Air France executives stated that the flight was already exceeding expectations. The article also mentioned if the trend continues they will look into adding additional flights to Paris, they also mentioned a flight with KLM to Amsterdam. Before the pandemic Amsterdam was the #1 unserved long haul international destination from Denver.

Link, but behind paywall: https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2021/07/06/denver-air-france-new-direct-flights-paris.html

AndoAv8R

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Flightaware showed N772UA (777 that lost the engine) yesterday what appears to be a ground run from Taxiway united hangar-G-B-B4-G-united hangar. Just curious if this was a phantom flight or if 772UA had its engine replaced and is getting ready for a test flight?

AndoAv8R

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:31 pm

Flightaware showed N772UA (777 that lost the engine) yesterday what appears to be a ground run from Taxiway united hangar-G-B-B4-G-united hangar. Just curious if this was a phantom flight or if 772UA had its engine replaced and is getting ready for a test flight?

DEN2021

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:28 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:

I saw a very smoky 777 startup up at the hangar. I was wondering if it was one of the PW birds.

DEN1895

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:03 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:

I can confirm it was out and about doing taxi test and everything appeared to be repaired, not sure if it is getting ready for test flight or just to be moved to a longer term storage facility.

Americanp

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 pm

Does anyone know when United is planning on moving into the new/existing gates on terminal A? I saw Q4 202 for the move, but had not seen the official plan for the displaced airlines. In addition, is there a timeline on when the new United club will open on A?

mkorpal333

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:57 am

I've been out of the loop recently, did AF get their CDG flight running? Any pictures show up?

jetmatt777

Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:23 am

mkorpal333 wrote:
I've been out of the loop recently, did AF get their CDG flight running? Any pictures show up?

Yep. There’s some photos on DIA’s Facebook page.

It did a go-around this afternoon on 35L.

AndoAv8R

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Very glad to see N772UA getting moving again, I was watching it from a car dealer on 104th when it had the engine failure

intotheair

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Turns out there will be a CapitalOne lounge in A in the mezzanine level. Did we know this already? I'm guessing it'll be in the new part of A-West, correct?

https://onemileatatime.com/capital-one-lounges/

smokeybandit

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Looks like a power outage at DEN today

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 78945?s=20

Pi7472000

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:48 pm

intotheair wrote:
Turns out there will be a CapitalOne lounge in A in the mezzanine level. Did we know this already? I'm guessing it'll be in the new part of A-West, correct?

These lounges seem much better than the lounges offered by airlines. Will be nice to have.

DEN1895

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:54 pm

intotheair wrote:

This is the lounge that is already under construction near A32, the company building that lounge is Plaza Premium. From the article it sounds like they will still run the lounge, but it will be branded as Capital One. I hope they still allow priority pass into the lounge as that was the original intent of the lounge.

Kden95

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Any updates on when the following might return,

Westjet
Copa
British Airways
Edelweiss

I know some may not return for awhile if at all. Any insight would be great.

DEN2021

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Kden95 wrote:
Any updates on when the following might return,

Westjet
Copa
British Airways
Edelweiss

I know some may not return for awhile if at all. Any insight would be great.

Edelweiss not until 2022 (they hope.)

DEN1895

Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:45 pm

July Update

A few small updates about the exterior work taking place around the airfield.

A West
On the north side work has been underway for a while to convert the existing domestic gates to international gates; the picture below shows the foundation that will allow passengers up to the FIS corridor.

On the end of A the new deice systems are going in similar to B West, and the patio is progressing in the background.

One final picture to show the south side of A looking from the west.

B East
Not much has changed on the exterior of B, they have mostly just been working on paving which is probably 50% done, no picture for this update.

C East
Similar to B East, most of the exterior work has been pavement-related; on the east side the taxiway is being relocated further from the concourse to allow for commuter aircraft parking. Here is an exciting picture of pavement.

SW Hangar
Work is still progressing on the taxiway tie-ins for the hangar, and I believe this is the first time I have a photo of the hangar with the doors closed.

In the next few months things will get more exciting as things start to wrap up.

AndoAv8R

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:40 pm

How close are they to finishing the 16L/34R project?

DEN1895

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:07 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:
How close are they to finishing the 16L/34R project?

The project should wrap up late September, at the latest the beginning of October.

DEN1895

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:01 pm

May traffic numbers have been posted, the airport continues to inch closer to normal (2019). American, Alaska, and Southwest did well with SW showing a 6% increase vs 2019.

sprxUSA

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:13 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
May traffic numbers have been posted, the airport continues to inch closer to normal (2019). American, Alaska, and Southwest did well with SW showing a 6% increase vs 2019.

Funny how they use the real code for all the airlines except WN. If one can figure out NK is Spirit, they probably know WN is Southwest...

werba

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:24 am

Just out there today to pick up family. The drop off and pick up levels were packed.

DEN1895: Any word on when the Pikes Peak parking lot will re-open? The garages and other parking looked quite full. I really appreciate your updates.

keithvh2001

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:43 am

Are they landing planes on 7 (the southernmost of the E-W runways) more often these days, particularly during the mid-morning bank of arrivals?

I live in Broomfield, very close to BJC --- I see arrivals heading to DIA flying to the SE and S over my location A LOT lately. That's an anecdote, but I wonder if the actual data corresponds with my anecdote.

f18raider

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 am

keithvh2001 wrote:
Are they landing planes on 7 (the southernmost of the E-W runways) more often these days, particularly during the mid-morning bank of arrivals?

I live in Broomfield, very close to BJC --- I see arrivals heading to DIA flying to the SE and S over my location A LOT lately. That's an anecdote, but I wonder if the actual data corresponds with my anecdote.

Yes, a side effect of the 16L/34R closure.

DEN1895

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 am

werba wrote:
Just out there today to pick up family. The drop off and pick up levels were packed.

DEN1895: Any word on when the Pikes Peak parking lot will re-open? The garages and other parking looked quite full. I really appreciate your updates.

Sadly no, when I asked back in June I was told July, I know they were doing some work at the entrance but I have not heard any updates.

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:56 am

DEN1895 wrote:
werba wrote:

Sadly no, when I asked back in June I was told July, I know they were doing some work at the entrance but I have not heard any updates.

Thank you for the pictures and the updates…. Much appreciated!! My future home is looking good

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos