Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Runway765

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
We've sort of pieced this together already, but the Tennessean confirmed today that the NK SOC is not coming to Williamson County.

I sincerely hope the MNAA takes this into consideration when new gates are handed out. NK should not have any priority after this.

Jshank83

Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm

Runway765 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
We've sort of pieced this together already, but the Tennessean confirmed today that the NK SOC is not coming to Williamson County.

I sincerely hope the MNAA takes this into consideration when new gates are handed out. NK should not have any priority after this.

Why does having a Ops in Franklin or not matter to who gets priority? If we are going by that then G4 should get priority over everyone for having a base at BNA.

FlyingElvii

Tue May 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

Yeah, that was official some weeks ago.

FlyingElvii

Tue May 25, 2021 5:11 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Ultimate is starting BNA/ Cinci LUK on June 7th. Any idea what gate they using, or will it be Atlantic/Signature?
Arrives at 9am, then sits for 5.5 hrs until departure at 230pm.

reednavy

Tue May 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Runway765 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

This literally makes no sense whatsoever.

gsg013

Wed May 26, 2021 1:35 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Ultimate is starting BNA/ Cinci LUK on June 7th. Any idea what gate they using, or will it be Atlantic/Signature?
Arrives at 9am, then sits for 5.5 hrs until departure at 230pm.

Is that a Procter and Gamble corporate shuttle? They had MMU-Cinci- LUK on the schedule for a while for a P&G corporate shuttle.

Runway765

Wed May 26, 2021 3:20 pm

reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

It makes perfect sense. NK showed they aren’t that committed to BNA. I understand things happen, but for NK to announce this pretty significant investment and then quietly back out without giving a reason why is pretty low. Even with COVID throwing things out of whack, there is really no logical reason why they needed to back out. What was the reason it couldn’t go through? What was so bad about Middle TN where they had to back out?

Cubsrule

Wed May 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

It makes perfect sense. NK showed they aren’t that committed to BNA. I understand things happen, but for NK to announce this pretty significant investment and then quietly back out without giving a reason why is pretty low. Even with COVID throwing things out of whack, there is really no logical reason why they needed to back out. What was the reason it couldn’t go through? What was so bad about Middle TN where they had to back out?

No, NK showed that they aren't that committed to having a bunch of back office jobs in Williamson County. That has nothing to do with their level of commitment - or not - to BNA. Is 5X not committed to SDF because their headquarters is in Atlanta?

Jshank83

Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm

Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

The reason is because MCO is closer to FLL so it is easier to get people to go to MCO or back and forth. They have a big operation at MCO so it made sense having it there.

rexchase12

Wed May 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Sounds like a "Southwest is looking at Airbus" type of deal to get a better FL deal to me. Using the "hurricane-prone" FL as an excuse. Just my 2 cents.

Shakinthefat

Wed May 26, 2021 8:07 pm

Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Why can’t NK change their minds? I’m sure it was a business decision, logical to them. Maybe a better deal somewhere else, don’t think it’s a reflection on Middle Tn.

Shakinthefat

Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 pm

New parking vendor at BNA beginning July 2021.
LAZ Parking, commitment to Airport Concessions Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program participation. One of four companies that submitted proposals.
http://www.gcanews.com/airport-authorit ... ment-firm/

ZazuPIT

Wed May 26, 2021 11:11 pm

Shakinthefat wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:

Why can’t NK change their minds? I’m sure it was a business decision, logical to them. Maybe a better deal somewhere else, don’t think it’s a reflection on Middle Tn.

Yes, this. Considering the number of companies that have relocated to the area, I hardly doubt it's a reflection on middle TN.

reednavy

Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 pm

Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Some office jobs versus what happens at the airport itself is about as "apples to oranges" as you can get. It seemed to come out of nowhere and make little sense from a business standpoint.

It was more than likely a ploy to get a better deal in Florida, like what JetBlue has done in the past and now currently with New York.

Runway765

Thu May 27, 2021 12:44 am

reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:

Some office jobs versus what happens at the airport itself is about as "apples to oranges" as you can get. It seemed to come out of nowhere and make little sense from a business standpoint.

It was more than likely a ploy to get a better deal in Florida, like what JetBlue has done in the past and now currently with New York.

Then why would they announce it as a done deal as they did as opposed to “considering” it?

Ok, I overreacted in my initial post, but it just stinks to lose out. It would’ve been a nice asset for the region.

southwest1675

Thu May 27, 2021 12:55 am

Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Then why would they announce it as a done deal as they did as opposed to “considering” it?

Ok, I overreacted in my initial post, but it just stinks to lose out. It would’ve been a nice asset for the region.

We’d be better off with an official WN base anyways. Heard through the grapevine a WN hangar is being flirted at BNA. Nothing more than speculation, but who knows.

Runway765

Thu May 27, 2021 1:00 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:

We’d be better off with an official WN base anyways. Heard through the grapevine a WN hangar is being flirted at BNA. Nothing more than speculation, but who knows.

Agreed. I still wonder when an official base is coming.

Shakinthefat

Thu May 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Runway765 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

“Official Base” meaning maintenance base or crew base?
I would think with WN crew bases in ATL and MDW, BNA wouldn’t make sense.

Runway765

Thu May 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Shakinthefat wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

“Official Base” meaning maintenance base or crew base?
I would think with WN crew bases in ATL and MDW, BNA wouldn’t make sense.

I think WN bases are both in some ways. I don’t think the close proximity to ATL/MDW is relevant considering LAX/LAS/PHX are all close to one another. As BNA is becoming more of a connecting point for WN, it makes sense. My guess is they are waiting to take the rest of C before opening a crew base here, so they can convert the current Admirals Club into a crew lounge.

Shakinthefat

Fri May 28, 2021 1:33 am

BNA is definitely a WN hub with many spokes. The point to point philosophy is slowly fading as WN becomes more efficient as a hub and spoke airline. WN would have to weigh the expense of opening maintenance, pilot and FA base vs better reliability. MNAA will need to buy more land for the influx of employee parking.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/does-sout ... have-hubs/

FlyingElvii

Fri May 28, 2021 4:32 am

reednavy wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
reednavy wrote:

It makes sense from an operational standpoint.
NK has been run out of it’s HQ by hurricane threats more than once, and operating an Emergency SOC on old laptops from a hangar floor in Detroit during those times is a real pain, not to mention insanely expensive. And people, especially at Spirit’s pay level, don’t see the benefit in leaving family and property behind in an emergency.

It might be fun, once, but after that it is just a pain. Plus, it has to be exercised once a year, adding even more cost.

It just makes an already huge IROP even more challenging.

But COVID has changed the spending priorities.

FlyingElvii

Fri May 28, 2021 4:34 am

Runway765 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Given the amount of crew I have seen WN deadheading around to cover BNA flights, I am wondering why a base wasn’t opened four years ago.

stl07

Fri May 28, 2021 6:02 am

Shakinthefat wrote:
BNA is definitely a WN hub with many spokes. The point to point philosophy is slowly fading as WN becomes more efficient as a hub and spoke airline. WN would have to weigh the expense of opening maintenance, pilot and FA base vs better reliability. MNAA will need to buy more land for the influx of employee parking.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/does-sout ... have-hubs/

WN is almost a legacy at this point. NK is the new WN

Shakinthefat

Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Given the amount of crew I have seen WN deadheading around to cover BNA flights, I am wondering why a base wasn’t opened four years ago.

Sounds like a WN scheduling inefficiency issue. Is the increase in the amount of crew DH’s seen at BNA because BNA has become a hub-n-spoke for WN vs a point to point hub?

InopGauge

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:27 am

Question for y'all, does anyone happen to know what time the Thunderbirds will be practicing at MQY on Thursday and Friday?

Runway765

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 am

https://bnavisionnashville.com/site/web/assets/2021/05/CAGE-Revised-Draft-EA-2021-5-7.pdf
https://bnavisionnashville.com/site/web/assets/2021/05/CAGE-DEA-Hearing-Legal-Advertisement.pdf

A draft environmental assessment has been released for the proposed Concourse A expansion and Satellite Concourse E construction. Per the second link, a public hearing will take place Friday June 18th to allow for comment on the project.

Some interesting takeaways.

A. It appears they have dropped the plan for the extra gate that was to be squeezed in between A and B near the Delta Sky Club, which would have required reconfiguring the gates on the north side of B. Perhaps this will shave off some of the cost.

B. Based on this, the bus station to the satellite may very well be in that area between A & B. As such, I doubt WN will be taking any gates on the satellite. My new theory is the satellite becomes the ULCC barn (as others have suggested in the past), with NK, F9, G4, SY and BZ (when they come) all operating out of there. AA/AS move to A upon completion and WN takes the rest of C, giving them 25 gates plus adjacent access to the CUTE international swing gates. That would be enough for somewhere in the 200-250 flight range depending on how they utilized the gates.

C. The rough timeline is the satellite beginning construction in the fall of 2021 with completion in 2023, and the new Concourse A will begin construction in 2023 with an opening in late 2025. They had previously stated that the actual Concourse A construction was deferred because of the drop in revenue due to the pandemic, but with traffic picking back up, hopefully they'll get enough funding to start in 2023.

D. It appears any further expansion of Concourse D is off the table for now, as it would require moving a fair amount of infrastructure as well as making for long walks back to the terminal. Not too sad over that, as 737MAX7 pointed out previously, the ramp is already tight as it is there, a further expansion of D would make things even more difficult.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:10 am

Runway765 wrote:

B. Based on this, the bus station to the satellite may very well be in that area between A & B. As such, I doubt WN will be taking any gates on the satellite. My new theory is the satellite becomes the ULCC barn (as others have suggested in the past), with NK, F9, G4, SY and BZ (when they come) all operating out of there. AA/AS move to A upon completion and WN takes the rest of C, giving them 25 gates plus adjacent access to the CUTE international swing gates. That would be enough for somewhere in the 200-250 flight range depending on how they utilized the gates.

This is what it always was going to be. The idea that WN was going to bus people between connections was crazy.

Runway765

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:15 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

This is what it always was going to be. The idea that WN was going to bus people between connections was crazy.

And you were right, I should have thought about that more from the beginning. My thought was that WN would want to prevent NK and the other ULCC's from getting any more gates so they would maneuver to take the satellite. Even so, as I said, 25 gates plus the CUTE international gates should be plenty for what they want to do in BNA. They could possibly even take 2-3 gates in B (a la BWI) depending on how things shake out.

Jshank83

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:18 am

Runway765 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

And you were right, I should have thought about that more from the beginning. My thought was that WN would want to prevent NK and the other ULCC's from getting any more gates so they would maneuver to take the satellite. Even so, as I said, 25 gates plus the CUTE international gates should be plenty for what they want to do in BNA. They could possibly even take 2-3 gates in B (a la BWI) depending on how things shake out.

Yea if they get to 25 that should be enough for the foreseeable future. There can’t be many airports they have that many gates at.

Runway765

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:22 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Yea if they get to 25 that should be enough for the foreseeable future. There can’t be many airports they have that many gates at.

I believe only their BWI, MDW, DEN and PHX stations would have more gates.

southwest1675

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm

I think we could see some decent international expansion from WN in the future. I think they could funnel connections easily. The current admirals club would make great space for a WN base.

gsg013

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I think we could see some decent international expansion from WN in the future. I think they could funnel connections easily. The current admirals club would make great space for a WN base.

Any shot of WN doing BNA-MBJ?

Jshank83

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:32 pm

gsg013 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

They run STL-MBJ 2x a week so I am sure there is a shot.

Runway765

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

I often wonder if they are waiting to make BNA a base until AA moves out of C and they can gain access to the current Admirals Club for a crew lounge.

Jshank83 wrote:
gsg013 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

They run STL-MBJ 2x a week so I am sure there is a shot.

I'm pretty sure the current subpar IAB facility is the reason WN hasn't added a lot of international out of BNA. Once the new facility opens in 2023, BNA will likely see more adds, especially since the gates will be adjacent to their gates in C.

dolphinflyer

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:45 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
BNA’s biggest holes are ABQ, PDX, and IND in my opinion. WN should be able to fulfill that.

You're missing SMF!

Runway765

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:57 pm

dolphinflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
BNA’s biggest holes are ABQ, PDX, and IND in my opinion. WN should be able to fulfill that.

You're missing SMF!

In addition to those 4, I would like to see some smaller markets added such as TUL, LIT, RIC, etc.

jbpdx

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:43 pm

Runway765 wrote:
dolphinflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

You're missing SMF!

In addition to those 4, I would like to see some smaller markets added such as TUL, LIT, RIC, etc.

I wouldn't count on WN adding PDX-BNA. As we're frequently told in the Oregon thread, if airline XX was going to add city YY from Portland, they would have already done it. Southwest also has a lukewarm commitment to Portland.

PDX-BNA
Q2 2019: 321 passengers/day (161 EW)
Q3 2019: 378 passengers/day (189 EW).
Q4 2019: 295 passengers/day (148 EW).

Sun Country's short-lived nonstop took 41% market share in Q3 2019. Meanwhile, this summer Alaska has 2 nonstops/day, Delta and Southwest have one nonstop each to Nashville from Seattle.

iAvgeek737

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:27 am

Runway765 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Once the long rumored STL and FLL bases come of course :stirthepot:

Cubsrule

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:03 pm

Anyone else catch the Osprey flyby downtown this afternoon? Definitely unexpected and cool.

jplatts

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:37 pm

jbpdx wrote:
I wouldn't count on WN adding PDX-BNA. As we're frequently told in the Oregon thread, if airline XX was going to add city YY from Portland, they would have already done it. Southwest also has a lukewarm commitment to Portland.

PDX-BNA

Sun Country's short-lived nonstop took 41% market share in Q3 2019. Meanwhile, this summer Alaska has 2 nonstops/day, Delta and Southwest have one nonstop each to Nashville from Seattle.

AS adding BNA-PDX nonstop service might be a possibility with AS having recently made a few other adds out of PDX such as the return of AS PDX-DEN nonstop service and the addition of PDX-FLL/SBP nonstop service.

737MAX7

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:48 am

dolphinflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

You're missing SMF!

We had SMF pre covid. I always complained about having to run the bags off of it because there was a million transfer bags :lol:

AC4500

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:31 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

jplatts wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

PDX-BNA

AS adding BNA-PDX nonstop service might be a possibility with AS having recently made a few other adds out of PDX such as the return of AS PDX-DEN nonstop service and the addition of PDX-FLL/SBP nonstop service.

WN had planned on adding BNA-PDX pre-COVID, although it was a just Saturday-only flight. This was also during the same time SY was operating this route at 4x weekly.

BNA-PDX will come back eventually on either WN or AS with the latter being more likely IMO, hopefully at least 1x daily.

Shakinthefat

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:40 pm

Any airline to any city Canada from BNA would be nice once Canada opens back up. Big country music fans north of the border. Always wondered why WN doesn’t fly to Canada?

Jshank83

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Shakinthefat wrote:
Any airline to any city Canada from BNA would be nice once Canada opens back up. Big country music fans north of the border. Always wondered why WN doesn’t fly to Canada?

One excuse is they can’t accept foreign money and Canada requires it. Not sure how real that is though.

Wneast

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:

One excuse is they can’t accept foreign money and Canada requires it. Not sure how real that is though.

Im sure we see it probably is a excuse because they have better priorities like Hawaii and probably next South America whenever that is

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:43 am

Shakinthefat wrote:

Is more Canada service than was scheduled pre-pandemic (two carriers to YYZ, one to YYC and YUL) really a sensible expectation?

AC4500

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:46 am

Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:

Im sure we see it probably is a excuse because they have better priorities like Hawaii and probably next South America whenever that is

Part of the issue with WN not starting flights to Canada (and having a very limited route network outside the US in general) is that they don't publish their schedules on third party websites like Expedia and Orbitz. Unless if Southwest allocates a large amount of their marketing budget into advertising any hypothetical Canada flights, a Canadian customer is not going to have any incentive to fly WN as opposed to Air Canada, WestJet, or the Canadian ULCCs.

Jshank83, I also seem to remember reading somewhere that WN has trouble processing non-USD currencies. That's obviously part of the issue as well.

If WN were to start operations in Canada, the only route that I could see being feasible from BNA would be 1 or 2 daily flights to YYZ. Other than that, I think Canada flights would be limited to just BWI and MDW.

Shakinthefat

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:03 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:

Is more Canada service than was scheduled pre-pandemic (two carriers to YYZ, one to YYC and YUL) really a sensible expectation?

I’m not sure what WS and AC marketing departments analyze routes to and from BNA. Might be sensible in the future. Their analytics will tell them.
If the traffic is there, then yes it is a sensible expectation.
Canadians will definitely travel when lockdowns are lifted. One daily BNA flights to YYZ and YUL plus one weekend YYC and YVR flights would provide business and leisure travelers a nice option vs connection flights. Might be surprised by the demand. If WN flew to Canada I think they would take a look.
WN BNA- YYZ route makes more sense than some other cities previously listed.....TUL, ABQ, RIC, IND

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Shakinthefat wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:

I’m not sure what WS and AC marketing departments analyze routes to and from BNA. Might be sensible in the future. Their analytics will tell them.
Canadians will definitely travel when lockdowns are lifted. One daily BNA flights to YYZ and YUL plus one weekend YYC and YVR flights would provide business and leisure travelers a nice option vs connection flights. Might be surprised by the demand. If WN flew to Canada I think they would take a look.
WN BNA- YYZ route makes more sense than some other cities previously listed.....TUL, ABQ, RIC, IND

Sorry, you've lost me. I believe the pre-pandemic transborder schedule for BNA was a daily WS 737 to YYC, 4x daily AC/WS to YYZ (mix of Embraers on AC, DH4 and 73G depending on day on WS), and 10 weekly AC Embraers to YUL. Am I misremembering?

southwest1675

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:55 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Sorry, you've lost me. I believe the pre-pandemic transborder schedule for BNA was a daily WS 737 to YYC, 4x daily AC/WS to YYZ (mix of Embraers on AC, DH4 and 73G depending on day on WS), and 10 weekly AC Embraers to YUL. Am I misremembering?

I don’t even think YUL started due to COVID.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos