Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fsclips

Re: Lufthansa Group Fleet Thread - 2021

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am

Given how a painting timeline looks like, it’s really absurd. Seems a bit disgruntled by his/her (former?) employer….[/quote]

Neither disgruntled nor former.

The A330Neo order has been known about for months now. Long before the presentation of the livery.
It seems the German media agrees with me. There has just been an article making the exact same point I have made.
The NEO aircraft look pretty much identical to the CEOs and so Airbus decided to give them a black frame around the cockpit window to have a visual difference. It is the trademark of the new fleet.

If you want that trademark you should buy one of those planes, not a bucket of paint.

I would link to the article but it is only in German. Sorry.

I guess we all have our own opinion about this. For me personally I don't think this is OK.

ka

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:58 am

fsclips wrote:
I guess we all have our own opinion about this. For me personally I don't think this is OK.

But it's ok that Aegean paints their A320CEOs with the NEO masks. Or Air Belgium their A340s??

Sounds more like the typical LHgroup bashing here.

Brgds,
Ka.

fsclips

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:15 am

Dude, I am a pilot flying for the LH group.

None of those examples are OK in my book, but this thread is not about those airlines.

Anyway, I don't like it and that's my opinion.

End of discussion.

na

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am

777luver wrote:
na wrote:
hervebkk wrote:
The lhgroupfleet site seems offline.... it was really a good source of information about plane status....

And unique in the world. I guess the detailed information there caused confusion lately with all those rumours about the reintroduction of the 744, A346 etc..

I don't see how it caused confusion, the infomation was incredibly accurate

Maybe I used the wrong term. I can think of that the detailed info on that website was too much of information available for the competition! Confusion in the sense of how to react to the existence of this website. Some info there might have violated company policy/confidentiality. The info there was much more than what I as a subcontractor could gather from my LH contacts!

Btw, skyliner-aviation reports today that the first 744 - D-ABVX built in 1999 - is back at FRA for service reintroduction.

Meanwhile, 18, so all but one 747-8 - D-ABYP - are back in service now.

na

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Btw, no 747-8 got repainted into the new livery since the Covid-19-crisis started. Seems Boeings paintshop did deliver a better quality than Airbus with the A350 of which the oldest three got the new scheme already despite them being a few years younger than the oldest 748!

MrBryan86

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:03 pm

na wrote:
Btw, no 747-8 got repainted into the new livery since the Covid-19-crisis started. Seems Boeings paintshop did deliver a better quality than Airbus with the A350 of which the oldest three got the new scheme already despite them being a few years younger than the oldest 748!

I’m pretty sure it has got anything to do with the quality of the Airbus paintshop. It’s clear that Lufthansa is trying to get their fleet repainted into the new livery, and they made use of the downturn in travel demand to fly the A350s to Toulouse for repaint because there’s some slack in the fleet to justify that decision. Meanwhile the 748s were parked in Frankfurt during the start of Covid. Their future was unknown at first, which is why it’s brainless to send them for a repaint anyways.

mxaxai

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm

ben7x wrote:
No way the 777/787 will get the mask.

Why not? Air Canada chose a mask-like design on their new livery, there's no technical reason that would prevent LH from applying a little bit of black paint too.

na

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:26 pm

MrBryan86 wrote:
na wrote:

I’m pretty sure it has got anything to do with the quality of the Airbus paintshop. It’s clear that Lufthansa is trying to get their fleet repainted into the new livery, and they made use of the downturn in travel demand to fly the A350s to Toulouse for repaint because there’s some slack in the fleet to justify that decision. Meanwhile the 748s were parked in Frankfurt during the start of Covid. Their future was unknown at first, which is why it’s brainless to send them for a repaint anyways.

As for the 747-8 its true for 2020, that disastrous year didn't make sense to repaint any plane if the paint was still ok. But now, since all are active again? The oldest 2 or 3 planes are 9 years old by now, quite a long time for the first coat of paint to last.

DUSZRH

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:36 pm

MrBryan86 wrote:
na wrote:

It was reported at the time that there was a production issue with the painting and Airbus would repaint them free of charge. That’s why they went to TLS and not one of the classic paint shops LH normally uses.

MrBryan86

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 pm

DUSZRH wrote:
MrBryan86 wrote:
na wrote:

It was reported at the time that there was a production issue with the painting and Airbus would repaint them free of charge. That’s why they went to TLS and not one of the classic paint shops LH normally uses.

Considering the paint shop in TLS did a repaint for one of Qatar’s B77W into the FIFA 2022 livery, it’s not known if that’s actually true, or just Al Baker being Al Baker. And if there’s availability at Toulouse, maybe LH just chose the better deal, we didn’t see any other A350s of similar age getting a repaint either.

MrBryan86

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:30 pm

na wrote:
MrBryan86 wrote:
na wrote:

As for the 747-8 its true for 2020, that disastrous year didn't make sense to repaint any plane if the paint was still ok. But now, since all are active again? The oldest 2 or 3 planes are 9 years old by now, quite a long time for the first coat of paint to last.

Same reason as to why the A340s are getting repainted into the new livery despite them scheduled for retirement in a few years time, common branding. And not many paintshops can handle a 747 anyways.

DUSZRH

Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 pm

MrBryan86 wrote:
DUSZRH wrote:
MrBryan86 wrote:

Considering the paint shop in TLS did a repaint for one of Qatar’s B77W into the FIFA 2022 livery, it’s not known if that’s actually true, or just Al Baker being Al Baker. And if there’s availability at Toulouse, maybe LH just chose the better deal, we didn’t see any other A350s of similar age getting a repaint either.

I only found a German source, but it was for technical reasons as part of warranty and affected the three oldest A350s of LH:

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/airbus-la ... -lufthansa

conaly

Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:42 am

Some news from Spohr about the short term fleet strategy has been published at aero.de:
https://www.aero.de/news-40437/Lufthans ... -a380.html (German)

Short summary:
In future more leasing. Four former Philippine Airlines A350 have been leased from SMBC back in June already. Those are needed once travel restrictions to the US and Asia will be reduced or lifted which is expected for later this year. More aircraft leasing will stay part of the strategy at Lufthansa. The A340-600 will return for only two years to use them for more (premium) capacity from MUC. The A340-300 will stay until 2025. The planned come back of six A380 in MUC from 2022 onward will not happen. And they still hope to get the first 787-9 before Christmas this year.

mxaxai

Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 am

conaly wrote:
Some news from Spohr about the short term fleet strategy has been published at aero.de:

Interesting to see that there is sufficient demand to reactivate all 8 747-400. Mostly for flights to India, but also some of the shorter TATL rotations (BOS, YYZ, IAD). https://www.aero.de/news-40413/Lufthans ... kfurt.html [German]

In late Q2, LH group also accepted 1.5B € in further state aid as part of their overall bailout package to compensate for continued losses. This aid comes in the form of non-voting equity. In addition, LH group is raising up to 5.5B € on the stock market, though CFO Steembergen is expecting only 3-4B €. https://www.aero.de/news-40428/Lufthans ... -Euro.html [German]

And they're complaining about having to use their slots or lose them in the winter 2021/22 season. In order to keep the pre-COVID slots, LH is planning to fly some empty flights. https://www.aero.de/news-40351/Slotrege ... ports.html [German]

na

Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:35 am

mxaxai wrote:
conaly wrote:

Interesting to see that there is sufficient demand to reactivate all 8 747-400. Mostly for flights to India, but also some of the shorter TATL rotations (BOS, YYZ, IAD). https://www.aero.de/news-40413/Lufthans ... kfurt.html [German]

In late Q2, LH group also accepted 1.5B € in further state aid as part of their overall bailout package to compensate for continued losses. This aid comes in the form of non-voting equity. In addition, LH group is raising up to 5.5B € on the stock market, though CFO Steembergen is expecting only 3-4B €. https://www.aero.de/news-40428/Lufthans ... -Euro.html [German]

And they're complaining about having to use their slots or lose them in the winter 2021/22 season. In order to keep the pre-COVID slots, LH is planning to fly some empty flights. https://www.aero.de/news-40351/Slotrege ... ports.html [German]

The news about the return of so many 744s is indeed surprising, and I am happy to see my longtime favorite airplane coming back. The statement about the final demise of the LH A380 not so much, but sad anyway.
The slot issue, that LH is forced to fly empty on some flights is damn stupid, utterly idiotic, especially in the light of the climate change issue.

DUSZRH

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:31 pm

It’s all reporting based on the analyst call, which you can find in the IR section.

Some „interpretation“ of the media, I don’t agree with. Wrt the A343, he stated mid of the decade, which previously was defined as 2025-2027.

The „empty“ flights is just exaggerating. They are planning with 60% ASK for the winter, while flying smaller planes. 50% slot usage shouldn’t be far off. In a few cases there would maybe be a couple more flights, but I don’t really see a big impact. And those flights won’t be empty, but they will likely try to stimulate demand.

One problem for the 380 is the limited freight capacity, as Spohr basically claimed that they break even on the North Atlantic on freight alone.

Nicoeddf

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:03 pm

fsclips wrote:
Dude, I am a pilot flying for the LH group.

None of those examples are OK in my book, but this thread is not about those airlines.

Anyway, I don't like it and that's my opinion.

End of discussion.

I know plenty of people working for a company and still bashing their employer. So that alone doesn't seem to make a case for not disgruntled or not bashing.

But I am obviously with you regarding the mask. Where would the world come to if airlines painted their property as they please rather than following an arbitrary trademark.

columba

Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:44 pm

As to the reason why LH brings back the 744 and not the A380. LH has the 747-8 still in the fleet and it makes more sense to bring back a type where they still have personal and infrastructure for. Reactivating a small subfleet and bring back all the crews, equipment etc would cost a lot more....

Polot

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:01 pm

columba wrote:
As to the reason why LH brings back the 744 and not the A380. LH has the 747-8 still in the fleet and it makes more sense to bring back a type where they still have personal and infrastructure for. Reactivating a small subfleet and bring back all the crews, equipment etc would cost a lot more....

Same reason bringing back some A346s (shared resources with A343) and not A380s too.

zkojq

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Fantastic to hear the confirmation of the A340-600s' return. Not surprised at all that they plan to keep the A340-300 until 2025 - it's a dependable workhorse.

Looking forward to seeing where the -600s are scheduled to.

mxaxai

Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:28 pm

na wrote:
The slot issue, that LH is forced to fly empty on some flights is damn stupid, utterly idiotic, especially in the light of the climate change issue.

To be fair, LH isn't forced to fly. They simply choose to do so to keep the slots and to prevent competitors from offering flights at attractive times. Basically slot squatting.

AirbusOnly

Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:17 am

mxaxai wrote:
ben7x wrote:

Why not? Air Canada chose a mask-like design on their new livery, there's no technical reason that would prevent LH from applying a little bit of black paint too.

even a "no name" airline like Hi Fly Malta has given some of its old A330 and 340 a new coat of paint including masks

Noshow

Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:26 am

Who would take over LH's unused slots these days? Who are they fighting by blocking slots they don't need themselves? AFAIK Frankfurt airport has "endless" slots after the expansion with the landings only northwest runway. What use has blocking slots?
Munich might be different being shorter on peak hour capacity.

RoyalBrunei757

Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:49 am

Noshow wrote:
Who would take over LH's unused slots these days? Who are they fighting by blocking slots they don't need themselves? AFAIK Frankfurt airport has "endless" slots after the expansion with the landings only northwest runway. What use has blocking slots?

Maybe Emirates, Eyihad and Qatar can now get a chance to grab some of these slots since some of them have complained they are not getting enough frequencies. :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

ben7x

Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:50 am

Noshow wrote:

Pre COVID, both FRA and MUC were slot restricted.

Noshow

Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:52 am

The Middle East guys use big aircraft and need only a very few slots. Some feeder airline might be different or anybody building some network,
Ryanair? :stirthepot:

emre787

Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:22 am

mxaxai wrote:
ben7x wrote:

But there's a substantial difference in the mask design of AC. It was inspired by the Canadian geese and not by Airbus' one.

Noshow

Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:24 am

Roman Abramovich came first on his 767. Or was it USAF on the KC-135?

SA280

Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:47 am

ben7x wrote:
Noshow wrote:

Pre COVID, both FRA and MUC were slot restricted.

Main problem at FRA back to 2019 for new operations was parking stands availability at hub times,not runway availability.

Noshow

Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:57 am

Today they have the entire Terminal 3 apron available. Can't imagine parking space is tight today.

MartijnNL

Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:11 pm

zkojq wrote:
Fantastic to hear the confirmation of the A340-600s' return. Not surprised at all that they plan to keep the A340-300 until 2025 - it's a dependable workhorse.

Very good news indeed. I will try to book a flight on one of them. Hopefully to Japan or the U.S. west coast. Still sad I missed out on flying the A340-500. Fingers crossed for the A340-600.

If only KLM would bring back the B747-400. 8-)

777luver

Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:09 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Very good news indeed. I will try to book a flight on one of them. Hopefully to Japan or the U.S. west coast. Still sad I missed out on flying the A340-500. Fingers crossed for the A340-600.

Azerbaijan Airlines is still flying their 2 A340-500s, actively scheduled on Moscow and Bodrum flights

zkojq

Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:28 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
zkojq wrote:

If nothing else it would be good if they flew them MUC-PMI-MUC like they're doing currently with the A350s on weekends. Come to think of it, this could be a good way to log a 747-8 since they're doing the same with them to FRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uYuGitnjJ4

A359bw

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:10 am

The Lufthansa group fleet page has been reactivated and slightly modified.

It is now called European Airline Fleets

https://sites.google.com/view/europeanairlinefleets

PM

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:13 pm

A359bw wrote:

Excellent! Thank you.

SN476

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:21 pm

A359bw wrote:

ah, great news . Thank you very much !

na

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:24 pm

A359bw wrote:

Thanks!
Now without my drawings.

OMAAbound

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:21 pm

I broke the news the other day on airliners.de in regards to an internal meeting with the initial proposed routes for the 787 when it starts service in 2022.

Intra-European training flights will commence around December/January
FRA-LHR
FRA-CDG

International service will begin
01/02/2022
FRA-EWR DAILY
FRA-BOS X4
01/03/2022
FRA-BOM X4
FRA-ATL X4

OMAA

CRJockey

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:25 pm

OMAAbound wrote:
I broke the news the other day on airliners.de in regards to an internal meeting with the initial proposed routes for the 787 when it starts service in 2022.

Intra-European training flights will commence around December/January
FRA-LHR
FRA-CDG

International service will begin
01/02/2022
FRA-EWR DAILY
FRA-BOS X4
01/03/2022
FRA-BOM X4
FRA-ATL X4

OMAA

You brought out information from an internal meeting? You participated in?

B747forever

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:36 am

Is LH really going to start flying the 747-400 at the end of October? See it on multiple routes, but might just be a placeholder?

DUSZRH

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:54 am

B747forever wrote:
Is LH really going to start flying the 747-400 at the end of October? See it on multiple routes, but might just be a placeholder?

It's the next type to be brought back. If they need more capacity, then it will be back. 333/343/359/748s are all flying. So yes, it's possible, but depends on TATL demand.

Noshow

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:18 am

It might be required to provide enough cargo capacity with not enough belly cargo elsewhere available.

B747forever

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:48 am

DUSZRH wrote:
B747forever wrote:

It's the next type to be brought back. If they need more capacity, then it will be back. 333/343/359/748s are all flying. So yes, it's possible, but depends on TATL demand.

With about a month and a half to go, when are they going to make the final decision?

columba

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:25 am

Any news regarding the first 787?

AirbusOnly

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am

B 747-400 D-ABVZ was ferried from HAM to FRA today after storage

columba

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Lufthansa announced on twitter the first 787 destination: It will be Toronto
https://twitter.com/lufthansaNews/statu ... 1274430473

DABYT

Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:48 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
B 747-400 D-ABVZ was ferried from HAM to FRA today after storage

B744 D-ABVX flew from FRA to XMN for maintenance on 31st of August

ben7x

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:07 pm

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/boeing-78 ... liner-ziel (German)
They claim engine-problems as the reason for the delayed delivery of their Dreamliner. Haven’t the RR problems been solved?

DCA350

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:53 pm

Forgive me for being slow but with the 4 leased A350s, what will be the total number in the fleet?

Eiszeit

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:04 pm

DCA350 wrote:
Forgive me for being slow but with the 4 leased A350s, what will be the total number in the fleet?

The Lufthansa site says they have 17 in fleet right now (this is without these 4 PAL birds). There are 45 ordered in total + these 4 leases.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos