Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
x1234
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 pm

When is DL going to resume ATL-PVG? I guess not soon because of the China quarantine requirements. They do a PVG turn out of ICN which ATL/DTW-ICN can connect to I guess.
 
Deltran757
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Yesterday when I arrived at work. I saw two Aer Lingus A330s parked at the South Cargo ramp. A Air Canada 787 had just landed and waited until a parking spot was available due to South Cargo ramp being full around 6pm. That was cool to see all those different tails.
To see the world... One plane at a time
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:26 pm

According to this link, a new cargo carrier is in ATL!
https://simpleflying.com/cma-cgm-new-york-atlanta/

It's only a few months after Ethiopian started cargo service to ATL. Wonder who else might follow?
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 pm

I had a long layover at ATL last Wednesday evening and ended up doing quite a bit of walking around. At the southern end of Concourse F there were 2 BA and 1 VS aircraft (I had also previously seen another BA A350 take off). Interestingly, the monitors at the gate still displayed info about the airline and departure time, and then at the bottom it said "CARGO."
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
777Mech
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 am

mke717spotter wrote:
I had a long layover at ATL last Wednesday evening and ended up doing quite a bit of walking around. At the southern end of Concourse F there were 2 BA and 1 VS aircraft (I had also previously seen another BA A350 take off). Interestingly, the monitors at the gate still displayed info about the airline and departure time, and then at the bottom it said "CARGO."


Right. BA has sent every kind of widebody they have to ATL as of late. Now the passenger flight BA225/6 is a 35K, and the cargo flights are a mix of 787-9/10 and 77W.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:23 am

So has the north part of C still not reopened yet? Seems like the demand is there now.

On another note, it seems like a lot more flights are going out of E now. When I went to ATL in January 2020, every single concourse was busy except for E, which was a ghost town (around 3:30 pm).
Next flights:
Who knows? :/
 
User avatar
N776AU
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:18 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:02 am

maps4ltd wrote:
So has the north part of C still not reopened yet? Seems like the demand is there now.

It was still closed as of 2.5 weeks ago when I was last there.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.
 
nwadeicer
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 am

maps4ltd wrote:
So has the north part of C still not reopened yet? Seems like the demand is there now.

On another note, it seems like a lot more flights are going out of E now. When I went to ATL in January 2020, every single concourse was busy except for E, which was a ghost town (around 3:30 pm).


C is scheduled to fully open 05-01-21
I miss the Red Tail
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:05 pm

https://simpleflying.com/guangzhou-worl ... t-airport/

Only just now has SF reported that CAN overtook ATL. I thought this already happened last year, didn't it? And anyways, it's likely only a temporary thing...
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero
 
Iggy500
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
So has the north part of C still not reopened yet? Seems like the demand is there now.

On another note, it seems like a lot more flights are going out of E now. When I went to ATL in January 2020, every single concourse was busy except for E, which was a ghost town (around 3:30 pm).


I have also noticed the increase of flights out of Concourse E. As far as I'm aware, B6 is operating all of their ATL flights out of E. F9, NK, and UA have a presence there as well.
 
Oilman
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:58 pm

What flights is UA operating out of Concourse E?
 
Iggy500
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Oilman wrote:
What flights is UA operating out of Concourse E?


UA flights departing from E are mostly early in the morning. They also use the concourse when T is too packed for daytime flights.
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:24 pm

https://youtu.be/L3t9n4B0PrQ

This person posted this video of BNA-PNS with a connection in Muscle Shoals on Boutique. Yes I know it’s not ATL, but Boutique also does ATL-MSL-PNS, think it would be interesting to try someday
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:39 am

nwadeicer wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
So has the north part of C still not reopened yet? Seems like the demand is there now.

On another note, it seems like a lot more flights are going out of E now. When I went to ATL in January 2020, every single concourse was busy except for E, which was a ghost town (around 3:30 pm).


C is scheduled to fully open 05-01-21

Just saw on DL's website that the Sky Club at C37 should open May 1 as well. Looks like you're right.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/
 
tjerome
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 6:21 am

x1234 wrote:
When is DL going to resume ATL-PVG? I guess not soon because of the China quarantine requirements. They do a PVG turn out of ICN which ATL/DTW-ICN can connect to I guess.


I'm not sure if the 350 has the legs to operate ATL-PVG.
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 pm

tjerome wrote:
x1234 wrote:
When is DL going to resume ATL-PVG? I guess not soon because of the China quarantine requirements. They do a PVG turn out of ICN which ATL/DTW-ICN can connect to I guess.


I'm not sure if the 350 has the legs to operate ATL-PVG.



If i remember correctly, the 350-900 has a range of 15,000km and ATL-PVG is 12,326km. If I'm wrong, then either they'll drop the route or continue to stop in ICN.
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm

Is C North open yet? Haven't seen any flights going out.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/
 
777Mech
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 2:19 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Is C North open yet? Haven't seen any flights going out.


It is operational. Watching DL727 to ALB push out now. Only issue is there are hardly any restaurants open on C.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6352
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
tjerome wrote:
x1234 wrote:
When is DL going to resume ATL-PVG? I guess not soon because of the China quarantine requirements. They do a PVG turn out of ICN which ATL/DTW-ICN can connect to I guess.


I'm not sure if the 350 has the legs to operate ATL-PVG.



If i remember correctly, the 350-900 has a range of 15,000km and ATL-PVG is 12,326km. If I'm wrong, then either they'll drop the route or continue to stop in ICN.


The future of US-China routes is looking VERY shaky. Nothing specifically about ATL, but other than SFO, LAX, and NYC, I don’t know what will be back in the short term.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8749
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 7:19 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Is C North open yet? Haven't seen any flights going out.

I flew in/out of C North last week, its open and operational and when I was there Thursday it was busy as old times. Mostly 717 flights with a smattering of E75 and CR9.
C37 SkyClub was still closed as of Thursday.
 
alohashirts
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 pm

Do concourses D and E have their red paint removed or painted over repainted with a new color yet?
 
User avatar
Narfish641
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 11:39 pm

I wonder if Virgin Atlantic will ever have plans to bring the A350-1000 one day, it would surely bring a lot more passengers here in the Peach State plus a good sight to see the bird here (Post Pandemic-wise).
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
Delta350
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu May 13, 2021 10:21 pm

Narfish641 wrote:
I wonder if Virgin Atlantic will ever have plans to bring the A350-1000 one day, it would surely bring a lot more passengers here in the Peach State plus a good sight to see the bird here (Post Pandemic-wise).

They actually are, in the summer from LHR they'll use the A35K.
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed May 19, 2021 11:46 pm

777Mech wrote:
Only issue is there are hardly any restaurants open on C.

This seems to be a problem throughout the whole airport. I had a late-evening connection last night and still saw a lot of places that were closed. As a result most of the places that were open had super long lines (McDonald's in E being a prime example). Not sure if some of the restaurants close early or if they just haven't reopened at all yet.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 12:25 am

mke717spotter wrote:
777Mech wrote:
Only issue is there are hardly any restaurants open on C.

This seems to be a problem throughout the whole airport. I had a late-evening connection last night and still saw a lot of places that were closed. As a result most of the places that were open had super long lines (McDonald's in E being a prime example). Not sure if some of the restaurants close early or if they just haven't reopened at all yet.



What time were you in the concourse? 5pm local time? Because if it was dead middle of the night, then I'd understand why the shops are closed.
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero
 
777Mech
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 12:57 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:
777Mech wrote:
Only issue is there are hardly any restaurants open on C.

This seems to be a problem throughout the whole airport. I had a late-evening connection last night and still saw a lot of places that were closed. As a result most of the places that were open had super long lines (McDonald's in E being a prime example). Not sure if some of the restaurants close early or if they just haven't reopened at all yet.



What time were you in the concourse? 5pm local time? Because if it was dead middle of the night, then I'd understand why the shops are closed.


It was dead at 1800. All of restaurants at the spine close at 1800, except for LeAnn Chins. That line at 1800 was all the way to the escalators. ATL has got to get the concessions nightmare in order.
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1842
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 1:06 am

alohashirts wrote:
Do concourses D and E have their red paint removed or painted over repainted with a new color yet?


No, though with Concourse D, I imagine that is tied to not receiving the "ATLNext" interior remodel.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2211
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 2:22 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
What time were you in the concourse? 5pm local time? Because if it was dead middle of the night, then I'd understand why the shops are closed.

I arrived around 7 PM and had a long layover. I wanted to get Popeyes in B but it was closed so I settled for Wendy's.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
ran4sh
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:53 am

Re: Why didn’t ATL build an eastern terminal when Concourse E opened in 1994?

Thu May 20, 2021 2:55 am

Runway765 wrote:
Back when Concourse E opened at ATL, from then until Concourse F and the International Terminal opened in 2012, one had to clear customs and recheck bags/re-clear security just to go to the main terminal to exit the airport. Why didn’t they just build the international terminal/eastern entrance at ATL from the get go in the mid-90s to avoid this? Was there not enough traffic to justify it?


In addition to what the other comment said, one should also remember that, before 9/11 it was not really a hassle to clear security. I do agree regarding the bag recheck, but it may have been optional if you didn't have prohibited items in your checked bags.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8749
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu May 20, 2021 5:06 am

D and E still have the red panels on the exterior. Was sitting in the F Skyclub deck earlier tonight thinking that its nice to still see the red when looking across to E.

Regarding restaurants, concessions, this isn't just an ATL issue, its like this everywhere. Most airports only have a fraction of their restaurants an concessions open. Partially due to reduced volumes but really more or less because of the employment shortages that we are seeing hitting every industry.
When 50% are closed, the lines for the ones that are open are insane.
I've seen this happening at multiple hub airports - ATL, DTW, DEN, etc.
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 3:37 pm

I've heard that there were plans to build a G and H concourse for international flights and make E domestic. How big were G and H concourses supposed to be and are they still considering it or is it shelved?
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 3:38 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
D and E still have the red panels on the exterior. Was sitting in the F Skyclub deck earlier tonight thinking that its nice to still see the red when looking across to E.


Nice to know that! I thought the red dissappeared in like 2019 or something! Glad that we can take a few final glamour shots...
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero
 
User avatar
N776AU
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:18 am

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 3:46 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I've heard that there were plans to build a G and H concourse for international flights and make E domestic. How big were G and H concourses supposed to be and are they still considering it or is it shelved?

I think they were pretty close in design to F (and maybe even connected. I'm not 100% on that). I'd sketch it out, but I'm at work and lack the ability. I will when I get home this evening if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 11686
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 3:49 pm

N776AU wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
I've heard that there were plans to build a G and H concourse for international flights and make E domestic. How big were G and H concourses supposed to be and are they still considering it or is it shelved?

I think they were pretty close in design to F (and maybe even connected. I'm not 100% on that). I'd sketch it out, but I'm at work and lack the ability. I will when I get home this evening if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Proposed concourses G and H (and I) can be seen in ATL’s master plan:

https://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... preads.pdf

Slide 8 of the PDF. G is connected to F. H and I are linear concourses, just a lot shorter than the other ones due to Delta Tech Ops taking up the north side.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3420
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Has ATL started the southside around the end of runway taxiway?
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Topic Author
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Atlanta Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon May 24, 2021 4:05 pm

Polot wrote:
N776AU wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
I've heard that there were plans to build a G and H concourse for international flights and make E domestic. How big were G and H concourses supposed to be and are they still considering it or is it shelved?

I think they were pretty close in design to F (and maybe even connected. I'm not 100% on that). I'd sketch it out, but I'm at work and lack the ability. I will when I get home this evening if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Proposed concourses G and H (and I) can be seen in ATL’s master plan:

https://www.atl.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... preads.pdf

Slide 8 of the PDF. G is connected to F. H and I are linear concourses, just a lot shorter than the other ones due to Delta Tech Ops taking up the north side.



So, the master plan states that G-I could possibly used for both domestic and international. Also appears that there's another A380 capable gate on Concourse G. Except one question, is there really enough international demand to have 3 separate concourses that can cater to int'l travel? Else, why would there be domestic flights if they free up the ENTIRE concourse E? I think other than maybe Latam, no other international airline is really going to come to ATL. Possibly Delta adds in the future?
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos