Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:25 pm

Please discuss here about news and developments in Southern African Community (Minus Tanzania – as part of the E.A.C) and Indian Ocean islands of La Réunion and Mayotte.

Angola
Botswana
Comoros
Democratic Republic Of Congo
Eswatini
Lesotho
Madagascar
Malawi
Mauritius
Mozambique
Nambia
Seychelles
South Africa
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Link to previous thread:

Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2020
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:32 pm

First of all, happy new year to all :smile:

To the reply #141 https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438011&p=22579143&hilit=southern+african&sid=4cc1aa8ba72293a769eb759d79db91b0#p22577007


I came to live and work in Windhoek in 2015. I flew in for my interview (in May) on Air Namibia and moved her properly (in July) on Condor - both from FRA. As I recall, they were the only two long-haul options into WDH. Everything else routed through JNB.

Quite soon thereafter, Qatar began flying from Doha and Ethiopian from Addis. I've used both and I've been delighted with them. There were rumours that Turkish would come to the party but they never did. But KLM arrived (three times a week, I think, via Luanda) and then Eurowings began flying - at first from Cologne (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and later from FRA.

So, at the peak we had Air Namibia (FRA), Condor (FRA), Eurowings (CGN), KLM (AMS), Qatar (DOH) and Ethiopian (ADD). And there were five or six connections a day to JNB (Air Namibia, SAA and Comair) and one to Luanda on TAAG.

Today ... ?


This is an impressive growth in 5 years, do you know which factors prompted many airlines to serve WDH?
Which one had the best timings to/from Germany?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Lesotho seeks ACSA's help to repair Maseru airport - Lesotho.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
9252fly
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:19 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Lesotho seeks ACSA's help to repair Maseru airport - Lesotho.


What's wrong with the MSU airport and its infrastructure? I know it's a relatively poor country.
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:34 pm

9252fly wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
Lesotho seeks ACSA's help to repair Maseru airport - Lesotho.


What's wrong with the MSU airport and its infrastructure? I know it's a relatively poor country.


MSU faces forced closure by the ICAO...

https://lestimes.com/govt-in-race-again ... re-lesupi/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Does anyone have news about Air Mauritius, which a/c are they currently operating and to where?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
evanb
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 am

eastafspot wrote:
Does anyone have news about Air Mauritius, which a/c are they currently operating and to where?


The four A350s and four A330s are flying, mostly visiting Paris, Johannesburg, Mumbai and Reunion. Two A340s, two A319s and three ATRs are parked. Taken together, I suspect that they're flying mostly cargo.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 am

eastafspot wrote:
First of all, happy new year to all :smile:

To the reply #141 https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438011&p=22579143&hilit=southern+african&sid=4cc1aa8ba72293a769eb759d79db91b0#p22577007


I came to live and work in Windhoek in 2015. I flew in for my interview (in May) on Air Namibia and moved her properly (in July) on Condor - both from FRA. As I recall, they were the only two long-haul options into WDH. Everything else routed through JNB.

Quite soon thereafter, Qatar began flying from Doha and Ethiopian from Addis. I've used both and I've been delighted with them. There were rumours that Turkish would come to the party but they never did. But KLM arrived (three times a week, I think, via Luanda) and then Eurowings began flying - at first from Cologne (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and later from FRA.

So, at the peak we had Air Namibia (FRA), Condor (FRA), Eurowings (CGN), KLM (AMS), Qatar (DOH) and Ethiopian (ADD). And there were five or six connections a day to JNB (Air Namibia, SAA and Comair) and one to Luanda on TAAG.

Today ... ?


This is an impressive growth in 5 years, do you know which factors prompted many airlines to serve WDH?
Which one had the best timings to/from Germany?


Some of the growth was organic. Namibia's tourism industry has been growing steadily with more than 50% coming from Germany. Otherwise, I think it was just QR and ET pinching a market that was already there but would usually have routed through JNB.

For example, a couple of years ago I flew from Windhoek to Vienna. Previously, the obvious routings would be WDH-JNB and then LH or SAA or LX to Germany or Switzerland and then on to VIE. (Did Austrian ever serve JNB?) Or I could have taken BA or VS to LHR and flown from there. Or Paris. Or Amsterdam. Or even EK via Dubai.

In fact, I flew with ET vis ADD and was very happy. Last year I flew from Windhoek to Dublin on QR. Again, very good. And, again, cutting out JNB.

As I write, ET835 787-8 ET-ASG is 30Km away from WDH.

Apart from my return flights on SW and my one-way on DE in 2015, I haven't used any of the FRA options. SW fly at night in each direction. EW fly by day. DE did too but I think they've suspended the destination. Maybe it's seasonal.
 
Breathe
Posts: 775
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:41 pm

eastafspot wrote:
Does anyone have news about Air Mauritius, which a/c are they currently operating and to where?

According to this article, Air Mauritius are on the verge of selling the following aircraft to BAP Aviation Services:

2 x A319
2 x A340

MK are also trying to sell their owned A330-200

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/airbus-a3 ... iederlande
 
User avatar
3BNBE
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 am

eastafspot wrote:
Does anyone have news about Air Mauritius, which a/c are they currently operating and to where?

Air Mauritius is currently operating its fleet of A350-900 (4 in all, including the ones previously leased to SA), A330-900 (2 aircrafts), A330-200 (2 currently in its fleet, with one to be sold) and ATR 72-500 (all 3 operating to Rodrigues Island)
Flights are being operated to:
•Rodrigues 3 times daily normally but RRG has seen up to 8 daily flights during the past weeks operated by ATR 72
•Paris CDG, 2 weekly A350 flights
•St Denis (RUN) once weekly, operated by A330-200 or A330-900
Some flights are also being operated to BOM and JNB occasionally, with flights to Johannesburg being cargo ones due to travel restrictions between Mauritius and South Africa. Flights to London had also been scheduled but were cancelled later on due to new restrictions imposed.
The only foreign airlines operating to Mauritius are currently EK (one weekly passenger flight) and AF (one or two flights from RUN to CDG transit in MRU for cargo weekly).
The air travel market in Mauritius hasn't yet shown signs of recovery due to stringent measures related to quarantine imposed in the country, which limit inbound travel.
However, arrivals in Rodrigues have seen a growth in the last quarter of 2020 (compared to 2019) due to the prevailing international travel restrictions.

On another note, how far could travel bubbles be successful between COVID-safe countries like New Zealand and Mauritius (the latter having registered only 2 locally transmitted cases within the past 8 months)?
Pre-pandemic, the market was really small with only 1000 Kiwis visiting Mauritius in 2019. However, the pandemic has highlighted the existence of opportunities for some destinations, such as the success of Seychelles among Israeli tourists at the start of December, with the island-state welcoming +2000 Israelis weekly. Of course, the conditions for the Mauritius-New Zealand market are quite different, but might there be scope for let's say at least a weekly flight?
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:22 pm

3BNBE wrote:
On another note, how far could travel bubbles be successful between COVID-safe countries like New Zealand and Mauritius (the latter having registered only 2 locally transmitted cases within the past 8 months)?
Pre-pandemic, the market was really small with only 1000 Kiwis visiting Mauritius in 2019. However, the pandemic has highlighted the existence of opportunities for some destinations, such as the success of Seychelles among Israeli tourists at the start of December, with the island-state welcoming +2000 Israelis weekly. Of course, the conditions for the Mauritius-New Zealand market are quite different, but might there be scope for let's say at least a weekly flight?

Excellent info, its nice to see that birds are not sitting idle at MRU.
Israël and NZ might not represent huge market, but they are definitely big spenders. So they may be worth focussing on them with more incentives once we are back to normal :)
.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:29 pm

Air Zimbabwe to acquire 2 ERJ145 and to expand network :

https://www.newzimbabwe.com/air-zim-to- ... e-network/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:54 pm

According to the Zambia Reports:

Emirates will increase its flights between Lusaka, Harare and Dubai to four times a week from February 6, 2021.


Is traffic slowly picking up or a mayor advantage against KQ/ET/MS soon?

https://zambiareports.com/2021/01/18/em ... ka-harare/
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 am

I just learned that QR are pulling out of WDH. They may return in 2022. Bugger!

And Air Namibia's future is still uncertain.

https://www.namibian.com.na/98432/read/ ... e-in-doubt
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:15 pm

PM wrote:
I just learned that QR are pulling out of WDH. They may return in 2022. Bugger!

And Air Namibia's future is still uncertain.

https://www.namibian.com.na/98432/read/ ... e-in-doubt


Sad news as at the same time QR increases number of flights to South Africa (5x/week to CPT, and 3x to DUR) and Mozambique.
The good news is Condor resuming service from FRA twice weekly,

https://travelnews.africa/news-single.html?id=5924
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
andz
Posts: 7774
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:07 pm

PM wrote:
Did Austrian ever serve JNB?


Yes they did

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...
 
User avatar
eastafspot
Posts: 1778
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:34 pm

Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !
 
JumboMaiden
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:55 am

In South Africa:
Has QR - especially now with 28-odd weekly SAfrica services planned. - or one of the better off (not just money but rich in structural skills) airlines
ever made a move on Comair to leave their BA alliance?
 
YALAS
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:08 pm

https://allafrica.com/stories/202101130629.html

Apparently LAM ended their flights between LIS and MPM effective from the 15th Jan. Never even knew they started it but honestly not surprised though. TM was flying an inferior product and plane compared to TP

The fact they wouldn't reveal whether is was profitable either tells you it most likely wasn't as well. I think TM is best suited to regional and domestic flying.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1316
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:26 pm

 
9252fly
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:49 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:


The overlords at SAA could take a hint and realize it's the best outcome.
 
Williamsb747
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:08 pm

JumboMaiden wrote:
In South Africa:
Has QR - especially now with 28-odd weekly SAfrica services planned. - or one of the better off (not just money but rich in structural skills) airlines
ever made a move on Comair to leave their BA alliance?


No they have not.
Also comair is a franchise of BA so it would be tough to untangle those strings.
B747>A340>A350>B777>MD11>B767>B757>MD88/90>B787>A380>A330>A220>A320>B737.
CPT JNB
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am

22nd March 2021 11:30am

An Air Namibia A330 (V5-ANP) has just done a low pass over Windhoek and is now flying towards Swakopmund on the coast. Saying goodbye? Heading off to storage somewhere?
 
bmagee
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:51 am

PM wrote:
22nd March 2021 11:30am

An Air Namibia A330 (V5-ANP) has just done a low pass over Windhoek and is now flying towards Swakopmund on the coast. Saying goodbye? Heading off to storage somewhere?


Looks to be doing a low pass over the Namib desert now - was wondering if it was going to go park at Walvis Bay
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am

12:04

Now flying low (1,500ft) above Walvis Bay and heading towards Swakop. Saying goodbye, I reckon.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:21 am

12:19

Just turned over Henitiesbaai and now flying north-east and climbing. Off to storage in Europe?
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 am

12:51

Just flew straight over my house at around 8,000 ft. Got some nice photos too. I flew on that plane in May 2015. Don't suppose I ever will again. :cry:

12:56

Another turn over nowhere to the east of Windhoek and now it seems to be returning to the airport. Would've been nice to be on board!
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:18 am

13:18

Landed again at WDH. Well, that was briefly exciting.

(Yesterday was Namibia's independence Day and today is a public holiday. Coincidence?)
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8947
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:49 pm

PM wrote:
(Yesterday was Namibia's independence Day and today is a public holiday. Coincidence?)


Most likely a handback flight to the lessor following the cancellation of the leases.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:31 am

B747-437B wrote:
PM wrote:
(Yesterday was Namibia's independence Day and today is a public holiday. Coincidence?)


Most likely a handback flight to the lessor following the cancellation of the leases.

From today's paper.

https://www.namibian.com.na/100137/read ... in-Namibia
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8947
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:53 am

PM wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
Most likely a handback flight to the lessor following the cancellation of the leases.

From today's paper.
https://www.namibian.com.na/100137/read ... in-Namibia


The weekend flights (Sat for ANO, Mon for ANP) were indeed for return-to-lessor checks. The ferry out of Namibia is scheduled for this Saturday 27MAR21.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:30 am

B747-437B wrote:
PM wrote:
B747-437B wrote:
Most likely a handback flight to the lessor following the cancellation of the leases.

From today's paper.
https://www.namibian.com.na/100137/read ... in-Namibia


The weekend flights (Sat for ANO, Mon for ANP) were indeed for return-to-lessor checks. The ferry out of Namibia is scheduled for this Saturday 27MAR21.

Thanks.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:05 am

 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8947
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 pm

Former SAA CEO Vuyani Jarana has paid up on a ZAR 100,000 bet he made in 2018 that SAA would be profitable within 3 years.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business ... ailed.html
 
bmagee
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Apparently ET871 operating from ADD to Ndola, Zambia mistakenly landed at the new Copperbelt International Airport which is still under construction, instead of its intended destination of NLA. The new airport is probably about 15-20km from NLA.

Video of the aircraft slowing on the runway with the construction crews on the tarmac can be found here:
https://twitter.com/mwebantu/status/137 ... 88320?s=21
 
qantas330
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:39 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:44 pm

What became of the Air Namibia 747-400?
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8947
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:55 am

bmagee wrote:
Apparently ET871 operating from ADD to Ndola, Zambia mistakenly landed at the new Copperbelt International Airport which is still under construction, instead of its intended destination of NLA. The new airport is probably about 15-20km from NLA.


It was ET3971 that actually landed there (ET-AYL freighter), although ET871 (ET-AQP) also had a near miss with a go-around from 50 feet at the same airport later in the day.

https://onemileatatime.com/ethiopian-ai ... g-airport/
 
bmagee
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:36 pm

B747-437B wrote:
bmagee wrote:
Apparently ET871 operating from ADD to Ndola, Zambia mistakenly landed at the new Copperbelt International Airport which is still under construction, instead of its intended destination of NLA. The new airport is probably about 15-20km from NLA.


It was ET3971 that actually landed there (ET-AYL freighter), although ET871 (ET-AQP) also had a near miss with a go-around from 50 feet at the same airport later in the day.

https://onemileatatime.com/ethiopian-ai ... g-airport/


Thanks for the correction and updated details. I know both of the runways at the new & old airport are aligned pretty much the same, and given the "grandness" of the newer airfield its slightly understandable....

Reminds me of a similar story several years back in Tanzania and a 767 landing at Arusha instead of Kilimanjaro.
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 8947
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 am

The Board of Directors of Malawi Airlines have recommended an orderly winding up of the company.

https://www.mwnation.com/malawi-airline ... quidation/
 
Breathe
Posts: 775
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:44 pm

More bad aviation news for the region. :(
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:56 am

qantas330 wrote:
What became of the Air Namibia 747-400?

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... ght/38pn2r
 
shankly
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2000 10:42 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 pm

I'd posted this story in raw text a couple of days ago but forgot the mods don't believe you unless a link is included. So here is the news link. Another big blow for SA aviation infrastructure.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2021-04-07-airlink-suspends-flights-to-polokwane-after-airport-downgrade-for-safety-reasons/
L1011 - P F M
 
grjplanes
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:12 pm

SAA's LCC subsidiary Mango is set to suspend flights from 1 May...all flights have been zero'd out. Not looking good.

In the meantime FlySafair's reservation systems has been down for 2 days already, part of the global Radixx system issues...not great timing for them to capitalize on the Mango issues and with a long weekend and school holiday ahead, just as travel starts to pick up at last in South Africa.
Think FastJet also has issues with their system.
 
9252fly
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:17 pm

grjplanes wrote:
SAA's LCC subsidiary Mango is set to suspend flights from 1 May...all flights have been zero'd out. Not looking good.


Seems Mango has been arrears with creditors for several months and aircraft lessors have given them an ultimatum, pay up, or park our aircraft effective 1 May.

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/ ... s-20210422
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:18 pm

9252fly wrote:
grjplanes wrote:
SAA's LCC subsidiary Mango is set to suspend flights from 1 May...all flights have been zero'd out. Not looking good.


Seems Mango has been arrears with creditors for several months and aircraft lessors have given them an ultimatum, pay up, or park our aircraft effective 1 May.

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/ ... s-20210422


With the BCF market picking up, I could see GECAS lining up pilots to fly the planes out of South Africa for freighter conversion. The fleet is all leased (6 from Macquarie Bank, 4 from the Carlyle Group, and 4 from GECAS). It would be best to let Mango go belly-up. The real question is if Airlink would be interested in adding larger planes to replace Mango's capacity, as you have only two other 6-abreast carriers in South Africa flying: Comair, and FlySafair. (Mango only flew one international route---to Tanzania, although FlySafair has announced service to ZNZ.)

qantas330 wrote:
What became of the Air Namibia 747-400?

`

Dubai Air Wing, A6-HMM.
 
contractdog
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:57 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
9252fly wrote:
grjplanes wrote:
SAA's LCC subsidiary Mango is set to suspend flights from 1 May...all flights have been zero'd out. Not looking good.


Seems Mango has been arrears with creditors for several months and aircraft lessors have given them an ultimatum, pay up, or park our aircraft effective 1 May.

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/ ... s-20210422


With the BCF market picking up, I could see GECAS lining up pilots to fly the planes out of South Africa for freighter conversion. The fleet is all leased (6 from Macquarie Bank, 4 from the Carlyle Group, and 4 from GECAS). It would be best to let Mango go belly-up. The real question is if Airlink would be interested in adding larger planes to replace Mango's capacity, as you have only two other 6-abreast carriers in South Africa flying: Comair, and FlySafair. (Mango only flew one international route---to Tanzania, although FlySafair has announced service to ZNZ.)

qantas330 wrote:
What became of the Air Namibia 747-400?

`

Dubai Air Wing, A6-HMM.


3 of the 4 Carlyle aircraft have already been handed to Safair.
Also don't forget (although it's only operating JHB-CPT at the moment) about Lift.
 
9252fly
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:30 pm

South Africa currently has enough privately owned capacity in the market. full service Comair and its LCC subsidiary Kulula operating B738's, LCC Lift with A320's, LCC Safair with various B737 types and full service carrier Airlink with E190's, E170's and ERJ's. Putting Mango under administration would be doing the country and private sector a favor.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:35 am

contractdog wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
9252fly wrote:

Seems Mango has been arrears with creditors for several months and aircraft lessors have given them an ultimatum, pay up, or park our aircraft effective 1 May.

https://www.news24.com/fin24/companies/ ... s-20210422


With the BCF market picking up, I could see GECAS lining up pilots to fly the planes out of South Africa for freighter conversion. The fleet is all leased (6 from Macquarie Bank, 4 from the Carlyle Group, and 4 from GECAS). It would be best to let Mango go belly-up. The real question is if Airlink would be interested in adding larger planes to replace Mango's capacity, as you have only two other 6-abreast carriers in South Africa flying: Comair, and FlySafair. (Mango only flew one international route---to Tanzania, although FlySafair has announced service to ZNZ.)

qantas330 wrote:
What became of the Air Namibia 747-400?

`

Dubai Air Wing, A6-HMM.


3 of the 4 Carlyle aircraft have already been handed to Safair.
Also don't forget (although it's only operating JHB-CPT at the moment) about Lift.


Lift is operating some of the oldest A320s in the world (31-32 years old). Cheap aircraft but old aircraft (Pan Am orders transferred to Braniff II). They will need to get newer planes really soon. (Their planes are the 53rd, 64th, and 67th A320s built.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the planes being transferred from Mango to Safair are replacements for Safair B734s.
 
contractdog
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:48 pm

ZS-ZWO ex Kulula also shortly starting at FlySafair. Indeed seems the plan is to replace the 734's with NG's over time.
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: Southern African & Indian Ocean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 pm

SAA daughter Mango temporarily suspends operations.

source in Dutch

Official airline tweets
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos