Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WN732

Re: San Diego Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:22 am

SANFan wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
Korean Air’s BBJ HL8222 flew GMP-SFO-SAN today. Could be a coincidence, but the timing does seem suspicious. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KAL9 ... /KSFO/KSAN

Can someone track the tail number and see what happens next with the a/c? Is it gone already or staying the night here?

Inquiring minds need answers!

bb

The same thing happened at AUS a few months back and it was Samsung execs looking at their new plant. Hyundai however has a large presence in San Diego.

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:28 am

WN732 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
San Diego is teasing a “Major air service announcement” on their Twitter profile.

https://twitter.com/sandiegoairport/sta ... 21504?s=21

Are their any airlines that extend their schedules tomorrow? Or any other airports that have teased announcements?

WN has an upcoming schedule extension this Thursday.

Top destinations not currently served nonstop from SAN include CVG, CLE, CMH, IND, JAX, MKE, OMA, PIT, and RDU.

If the teaser is regarding an upcoming WN announcement, I probably would expect WN to be announcing some new nonstop routes out of SAN.

I just don't think so. I don't think WN adding service anywhere else would be a major announcement since anything else they would add is served already by someone else or close by. Europe though, and perhaps a resumption of former service would constitute a major announcement.

I'm going to be rather disappointed if it's a new domestic route, or the likes of Contour or Avelo showing up! It would be too much hype.

Wneast

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:33 am

Breeze I highly doubt I imagine it’s got to be a big INT route unless it’s being over hyped

SANFan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 am

All I can offer is that this is showing at BA.com:
Flight Details
San Diego To London
19:00 San Diego San Diego
Airline: British Airways
Aircraft: BA0272 (Boeing 777 jet)
Depart San Diego: Terminal 2, Wed, 13 Oct 2021, 19:00
Arrive London: Terminal 5, Thu, 14 Oct 2021, 13:25
Duration: 10 hr(s) 25 min(s)
Economy Selling Class: S
Premium Economy Selling Class: W
Business Selling Class: I
13:25 London Heathrow+

I've been watching this for a few weeks now and the first date has moved a bit but this IS showing on the BA Booking Engine.

Oct 13 is just about a month out so I can see SAN finally allowing themselves to get excited that it's actually happening finally! (BTW, flight 273 also shows as arriving SAN at 16:55 on 10/13.)

Fingers crossed that it's at least this, if not something even more spectacular..... However, i will take anything optimistic coming to SAN!

bb

SANFan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:43 am

What say you all that we get back to the T1 replacement discussion once we get this urgent and exciting whatever-it-is taken care of?

bb

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:43 am

Wneast wrote:
Breeze I highly doubt I imagine it’s got to be a big INT route unless it’s being over hyped

I'm leaning on something int'l, I'll be happy if BA and LH announces the resumption of service. The KE737BBJ showing up today is really intriguing!

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:51 am

SANFan wrote:
What say you all that we get back to the T1 replacement discussion once we get this urgent and exciting whatever-it-is taken care of?

bb

Certainly! As I was saying earlier, I saw the rendering for the new T-1, and I'm really intrigued by the people-mover system connecting both terminals.

SANFan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:06 am

A couple of things. The BA flights showing on the booking engine have the flight op'ing 3-5-7 for starters anyway; I would be thrilled and frankly amazed if they will be starting SAN off with a T7 even if only 3X a week to begin!

WS is apparently re-starting SAN service on 10/3 (to YYC) but I can't imagine this fuss for that. But you never know.

Can anyone explain what a KE 737 is doing in the US? What am I missing here? I'm happy to see her visit SAN but I have no idea why. It certainly doesn't mean KE is basing the 737 at SFO to fly tag-ons to SAN to/from their SEL flights does it? Some kind of good-will tour?

I have seen no encouragement or heard any chatter that LH is anywhere near resuming flights at SAN anytime this year.

Man, are we really going to have to wait 'til sometime tomorrow to see what is happening?????

bb

Scooter

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 am

As much as I'd LOVE to see KE announcing service to SAN, it's hard to imagine that they'd do it now with such low demand for international travel. Can't wait to see what this is! And like a few others have said, I'm going to be disappointed if it's just a WN or AS announcement.

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:18 am

SANFan wrote:

I have seen no encouragement or heard any chatter that LH is anywhere near resuming flights at SAN anytime this year.

bb

The only thing I saw about LH is on Wikipedia, where it says LH resumes service to SAN on 10/31/2021 (Halloween??)

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 am

SANFan wrote:

WS is apparently re-starting SAN service on 10/3 (to YYC) but I can't imagine this fuss for that. But you never know.

bb

It's not Swoop, that announcement is already on SAN's website.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:36 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

It's not Swoop, that announcement is already on SAN's website.

If it's a Canadian carrier, I can only think of Flair or Air Transat.

WN732

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 am

SAN's Twitter announcement shows a tea pot and crown emoji as hints regarding tomorrow's announcement. Take that as you will but unless VS is coming with a huge surprise, I think BA is making their formal return.

I'm using my phone but this is the link: https://mobile.twitter.com/SanDiegoAirp ... gr%5Etweet

Jshank83

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:13 am

Very random off topic question. Someone asked me if there is any plan to replace SAN with an airport with more than one runway. I was under the impression no, but I figured someone in here would know.

Side follow up question. Is there any concern about hitting capacity limits with just one runway and the curfews? This obviously would be once things get back to pre covid levels. Just want sure if it was close at all.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Very random off topic question. Someone asked me if there is any plan to replace SAN with an airport with more than one runway. I was under the impression no, but I figured someone in here would know.

Side follow up question. Is there any concern about hitting capacity limits with just one runway and the curfews? This obviously would be once things get back to pre covid levels. Just want sure if it was close at all.

Yeah...what would happen if the USN closed NAS North Island or the Marines closed MCAS Miramar?

hawaiian717

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 pm

SANFan wrote:
Can someone track the tail number and see what happens next with the a/c? Is it gone already or staying the night here?

Looks like it left about 9pm last night and went to Denver.

SANFan wrote:
Can anyone explain what a KE 737 is doing in the US? What am I missing here? I'm happy to see her visit SAN but I have no idea why. It certainly doesn't mean KE is basing the 737 at SFO to fly tag-ons to SAN to/from their SEL flights does it? Some kind of good-will tour?

It's not an ordinary 737; it's a Boeing Business Jet.

WN732 wrote:
SAN's Twitter announcement shows a tea pot and crown emoji as hints regarding tomorrow's announcement. Take that as you will but unless VS is coming with a huge surprise, I think BA is making their formal return.

Good catch; I didn't notice that before. The teapot and crown do suggest London.

Jshank83 wrote:

Lots of ideas but nothing is likely to go anywhere. The city apparently had the option to acquire Miramar when the Navy left, but they declined and the Marines took over. People talk about putting an airport in the bay or ocean, or in the far east county, but I don't think that's likely to happen. I think capacity concerns will be dealt with by larger aircraft. From the short hops up to LAX which went from 30 seat turboprops to mostly E-175s, and most airlines now favoring larger narrowbodies (more A321s than A319s, more 737-800s and -900s than -700s), and even the ability to handle large widebodies up to and including the 747-400 and 777-300ER for long haul flights. I think the bigger concern is passenger capacity limits of the terminals, mainly terminal 1 which regularly exceeds it intended capacity, and that is now being addressed.

wedgetail737 wrote:
Yeah...what would happen if the USN closed NAS North Island or the Marines closed MCAS Miramar?

Setting aside the unlikeliness of this happening, I don't really see either of these taking over. Miramar would be viable, with a central location and situated between the 805, 15, 163, and 52 freeways. Mountain terrain to the east might be a concern. Opposition from La Jolla and University City due to noise would be a big issue. The plaines wouldn't be as loud as the fighters operating there now, but would be more regular throughout the day.

North Island seems like a worse idea, since that will mean a lot of extra traffic coming through Coronado, and they only access is via the bridge or the Silver Strand. Coronado residents would have the same complaints about noise as we'd have at Miramar, and they'd also complain about the extra traffic.

hawaiian717

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Press release is up on SAN’s website. BA returns Oct 13 with 3x/weekly service.

https://www.san.org/news/news-detail/br ... al-airport

SANFan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:05 pm

YAHOO! Cherio, Mind The Gap and all that are back!!!!! Welcome back BA! We missed you and are thrilled to have you back in America's Finest City!

Now I feel like things may actually return toward normal after all!

bb

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Hopefully we will also hear from Lufthansa soon.They are currently ordering the 787-9, that would be the right-sized aircraft for SAN.

SANFan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Next big unknown is the Lufthansa Group. LH hopefully back before the end of the year and WK... who knows if or when next year?

Perhaps BA's return will signal to the Germans but the Covid restrictions are probably still different for different countries? I've lost track. I believe LH shows SAN service on their booking engine for sometime in October but unfortunately that doesn't mean much anymore. BA has shown return to SAN for months now, but kept changing the start date. That's why I've been waiting for the official signal from our airport folks that it is happening. (Although I can't explain why no airport announcement of WS's return in early October, just a couple of weeks away now.)

I'm glad to see an international arrival in the late afternoon/evening now (BA) which means that FIS will be open for business during more hours going forward. I'm guessing that BA will gradually head back toward daily service here which will further open the FIS staffing for other opportunities for other cx arrivals at night. In fact AS currently shows their PVR flight will be arriving at 10:40pm during the late December schedule...

Maybe we can now return to discussions about the new T1!

bb

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:40 pm

SANFan wrote:
Next big unknown is the Lufthansa Group. LH hopefully back before the end of the year and WK... who knows if or when next year?

Perhaps BA's return will signal to the Germans but the Covid restrictions are probably still different for different countries? I've lost track. I believe LH shows SAN service on their booking engine for sometime in October but unfortunately that doesn't mean much anymore.

bb

The only thing listed I've seen is LH resuming service to SAN on 10/31/2021 (Wikipedia), WS is listed on the same day (Halloween)! I know Wikipedia is unreliable, but that's the only thing that's out there until we hear an announcement from SAN.

SANMAN66

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:59 pm

SANFan wrote:

Maybe we can now return to discussions about the new T1!

bb

I like the rendering of the new T-1, but the front looks really plain compared to T-2, (like a box). The earlier rendering looks better, with wavy roof. I especially like the people-mover system. I was wondering if the people-mover will eliminate the shuttle buses to and from the rental car center. I know it will go to and from the "Grand Central station" proposed for Old Town.

SANFan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:58 pm

I asked elsewhere (on A.net) if anyone knew what flavor of T7 BA will be assigning to SAN. Crosswind answered and I appreciate his reply:

It will vary. First planned flight is a RR powered 3-class with Club Suites. I see some rotations are operated by a 787-9 but with the First cabin sold as Club.

Short answer. Expect it to change.

What it won’t be is a GE-powered 777-200 or 787-10 as they don’t have crew rest facilities sufficient for that route. Could be anything else currently in service.

So it looks like we'll see here in SAN whatever BA pulled out of the Heathrow hanger next, or perhaps more likely what the bookings look like, especially how many are booked up front.

Fine with me -- Speedbird is Speedbird and it might actually be nice to see a variety, including the 789!

bb

SANMAN66

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 am

SANFan wrote:

Fine with me -- Speedbird is Speedbird and it might actually be nice to see a variety, including the 789!

bb

The plane I'm gonna miss the most is the 747-400 (Queen of the skies), but I'm still happy that BA will be back to grace our skies again! I would love to see an A350 in person, but I'll take whatever BA sends our way!

hawaiian717

Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 am

SANFan wrote:
I asked elsewhere (on A.net) if anyone knew what flavor of T7 BA will be assigning to SAN. Crosswind answered and I appreciate his reply:

It will vary. First planned flight is a RR powered 3-class with Club Suites. I see some rotations are operated by a 787-9 but with the First cabin sold as Club.

What it won’t be is a GE-powered 777-200 or 787-10 as they don’t have crew rest facilities sufficient for that route. Could be anything else currently in service.

So it looks like we'll see here in SAN whatever BA pulled out of the Heathrow hanger next, or perhaps more likely what the bookings look like, especially how many are booked up front.

bb

I can’t tell from the quote you excerpt, but when he talked about RR-powered 3-class, is that referring to a -200ER or -300ER? I don’t know BA’s fleet that well.

I took the flight on two trips in 2019, first time was on the 747-400 and the second on the 777-300ER. It’s looking like there’s a chance I’ll be going to the UK sometime in the first few months of 2022, and I’m hoping for the A350-900 since I’ve been on the 787 (though not with BA), but never been on on A350.

itripreport

Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:07 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I can’t tell from the quote you excerpt, but when he talked about RR-powered 3-class, is that referring to a -200ER or -300ER? I don’t know BA’s fleet that well.

I took the flight on two trips in 2019, first time was on the 747-400 and the second on the 777-300ER. It’s looking like there’s a chance I’ll be going to the UK sometime in the first few months of 2022, and I’m hoping for the A350-900 since I’ve been on the 787 (though not with BA), but never been on on A350.

RR powered translates to their 777-200ER fleet, as the 300ERs are all GE90 powered. However, BA beats the american carriers in types of configurations found on their 777 fleet. So its gonna be slightly tricky to know what exact configuration they will be sending us, as the 200ER fleet has over 8 configurations, including a 4 class (old CW and CWS version), a 3 class (low CW, high CW, and CWS). My hope is that we'll get to see either configuration with CWS installed. The 300ER in the other hand as 2 configurations, the standard old CW configuration, and a high J CWS configuration

SANFan

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 am

I notice that today on SAN.org, the "official" announcement of WestJet's return has finally appeared (on the home page promo panel.) It joins the new panel for BA's return plus the existing ones for AC and Swoop! Pretty nice to see nothing but new and returning intl carriers in the spotlight! Link: https://www.san.org/

Now we wait to see what the Germans do... and when.

(WS flights to YYC commence on Oct 3 and their YVR-service is apparently due to come back next Spring/Summer, its usual seasonal return.)

bb

mxguy

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:29 am

Does anyone know how many birds RON in SAN with DL during the week?

jplatts

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of SAN in June 2021:
ATL-SAN - 8646 passengers, 9636 seats, 89.73% load factor
AUS-SAN - 16321 passengers, 18162 seats, 89.86% load factor
BNA-SAN - 14486 passengers, 17678 seats, 81.94% load factor
BOI-SAN - 6779 passengers, 8646 seats, 78.41% load factor
BWI-SAN - 16547 passengers, 17494 seats, 94.59% load factor
DAL-SAN - 27073 passengers, 29717 seats, 91.10% load factor
DEN-SAN - 52877 passengers, 57801 seats, 91.48% load factor
HNL-SAN - 15280 passengers, 19250 seats, 79.38% load factor
HOU-SAN - 17509 passengers, 19383 seats, 90.33% load factor
KOA-SAN - 386 passengers, 1050 seats, 36.76% load factor
LAS-SAN - 54568 passengers, 64299 seats, 84.87% load factor
LIH-SAN - 98 passengers, 350 seats, 28.00% load factor
MCI-SAN - 6817 passengers, 7647 seats, 89.15% load factor
MDW-SAN - 29394 passengers, 32758 seats, 89.73% load factor
OAK-SAN - 39786 passengers, 47672 seats, 83.46% load factor
OGG-SAN - 3391 passengers, 9975 seats, 33.99% load factor
ORF-SAN - 3230 passengers, 3500 seats, 92.29% load factor
PHX-SAN - 49342 passengers, 55703 seats, 88.58% load factor
RNO-SAN - 12282 passengers, 15200 seats, 80.80% load factor
SAN-SAT - 2109 passengers, 2322 seats, 90.83% load factor
SAN-SFO - 25270 passengers, 30458 seats, 82.97% load factor
SAN-SJC - 47079 passengers, 55467 seats, 84.88% load factor
SAN-SLC - 8498 passengers, 10020 seats, 84.81% load factor
SAN-SMF - 55458 passengers, 62434 seats, 88.83% load factor
SAN-STL - 9373 passengers, 9747 seats, 96.16% load factor
SAN-TPA - 3619 passengers, 3861 seats, 93.73% load factor
SAN-TUS - 6198 passengers, 6804 seats, 91.09% load factor

blacksoviet

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:10 am

The old UA hangar next to the Commuter Terminal is gone. It was either demolished or moved by the Airport Authority.

If the Navy ever sells North Island to the Airport Authority, they can start a car ferry between Harbor Dr and North Island.

The last car ferry left Coronado in 1969. The passenger ferry still runs to Coronado. The same company used to run a commuter ferry to North Island until the Navy kicked them out due to security concerns several years ago. The Navy had to open up the security barrier to allow the ferry to access the dock at North Island.

I could see a situation where North Island becomes the main domestic airport and all international flights continue to use Lindbergh, similar to how international flights were required to use Montreal Mirabel for decades.

SANFan

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am

blacksoviet wrote:
The old UA hangar next to the Commuter Terminal is gone. It was either demolished or moved by the Airport Authority.

As part of the airport improvements tied in with the T1 rebuild, the hanger was to be moved to the north side of the field. I assume that has now been done as the airport starts prep work (including clearing existing buildings from the building site) for the commencement of building Phase l -- the 19-gate eastern portion of the new Terminal 1.

bb

blacksoviet

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 am

SANFan wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

As part of the airport improvements tied in with the T1 rebuild, the hanger was to be moved to the north side of the field. I assume that has now been done as the airport starts prep work (including clearing existing buildings from the building site) for the commencement of building Phase l -- the 19-gate eastern portion of the new Terminal 1.

bb

Interesting. It must have been very expensive for them to move that old building. I wonder if it is big enough to hold a A319.

Where will the Administrative Office move to before they demolish the Commuter Terminal? That is quite a large building. There are probably lots of offices and conference rooms in there. I wonder if they kept any of the old gate counters or baggage claims.
Last edited by blacksoviet on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

blacksoviet

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:00 am

PSA727 wrote:
If that official at TIJ ever finds himself in need of new employment, he definitely could land a job at a consulting firm. Cause he has mastered the art of BS. Let's see....

If the officials at TIJ spent millions of pesos on improving their facilities in the hopes that it will spur a massive uptick in transborder passengers, then they wasted their money. The CBX serves one main purpose, to serve the VFR San Diego County-Mexico traffic. It guarantees that there will never again be a nonstop flight from SAN to GDL or MEX. And it gives Mexican airlines the opportunity to add more point-to-point flights from TIJ to other destinations in Mexico. That's it.

What was the last airline to fly to MEX or GDL?

blacksoviet

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 pm

There are still several buildings that need to be demolished and replaced before construction can begin on the new terminal. These include three Airport operations buildings on Winship Ln., the old cargo buildings on Airlane Rd., and the AA warehouse at 2330 Stillwater Rd. I assume these facilities are all being replaced by the new compound being built on the site of the old parking lot on the north side of the airport along Admiral Boland Way.

Gates 1 & 1A also need to be demolished along with their baggage claim.

SANFan

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:01 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

AS's rather short-lived attempt at serving SAN-MEX ran from November 2017 until May 2018.

bb

SonomaFlyer

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:51 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

If the Navy ever sells North Island to the Airport Authority, they can start a car ferry between Harbor Dr and North Island.

The last car ferry left Coronado in 1969. The passenger ferry still runs to Coronado. The same company used to run a commuter ferry to North Island until the Navy kicked them out due to security concerns several years ago. The Navy had to open up the security barrier to allow the ferry to access the dock at North Island.

I could see a situation where North Island becomes the main domestic airport and all international flights continue to use Lindbergh, similar to how international flights were required to use Montreal Mirabel for decades.

San Diego is one of the U.S. Navy's largest bases. NAS North Island is crucial to that mission and I don't see North Island ever being sold to anyone so long as the Navy has a major presence in San Diego.

The city and county made their bed over decades in stalling out the idea of relocating this airport. The windows on relocation given costs and NIMBY are closed. The current property is it and SANDAG etc will need to make do with what they have.

SANFan

Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:35 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
The current property is it and SANDAG etc will need to make do with what they have.

Agreed! And I for one think the SDCRAA is making the most of their options at 663-acre Lindbergh Field and is turning SAN into a facility San Diego can be proud of! (Especially once T1 gets replaced!)

bb

washingtonflyer

Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:36 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

I see this happening in about 1,000,000,000 years. The North Island is the Navy's premier helo base on the west coast and a major base for transport squadrons. Not to mention that the piers on the north side are the home for at least two - and sometimes three - aircraft carriers. There is NOWHERE else in the San Diego area for those carriers to go.

Its. simply. not. going. to happen. Ever.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:24 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

It's been tried, it's been voted "NO!" by the populace, and it is most probably never going to happen.

No. SAN really only loses out on red-eyes to MSP, DFW, and IAH, and those flights would need to depart around 1 AM. Even our Chicago red-eyes, which depart at 11 PM, arrive at around 4:30 in the morning. I have flown them on both UA and AA, and it is fascinating to arrive before anyone else at all!

All the Eastern Time Zone red-eyes (DTW, ATL, MIA, IAD, PHL, JFK, EWR, BOS) all depart well before the curfew.

Interestingly enough, I have been the first arrival of the morning flying into DTW, ATL, EWR, and BOS, as somehow the SAN flights get the VIP treatment.

And my apologies for asking this, but could someone please provide another link to the renderings of the new T1? I can't find them in this ever-growing list. I would very much appreciate it!!

SANFan

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
could someone please provide another link to the renderings of the new T1? I can't find them in this ever-growing list. I would very much appreciate it!!

I'll refer you to my post #342 (on p. 7 of this thread) for what I believe to be the latest renderings/video of plans for the new T1. This is for the video that was presented at the last SDCRAA board meeting earlier this month. The whole presentation by Dennis Probst at that meeting is worth watching IMO.

A lot of other stuff regarding the T1 rebuild is available at SAN.org, linked on the home page near the top. Some of this is from a bit ago, but most new stuff eventually shows up there.

Due to the important events and approvals that have already occurred this month -- and talked about up-thread -- I see no reason why actual construction won't be starting on or around November 1, as planned! THAT is exciting!!!

There have been a couple of questions raised recently up-thread about the T1 replacement. I don't know if those folks have found their answers on SAN.org but I wanted to throw a thought or two out there. (Keep in mind these points below are my interpretation of what I've seen and read.)

Regarding the couple of gates at the new T1 that I mentioned would be capable of handling Stage 5 aircraft (up to 747s), they are being included in the design just in case at some point, a carrier that might use a 747, A350, etc., might end up living in or using T1. Overflow would be another reason, but of course there will be no FIS in T1 so these gates would only be for domestic wide-body service. It was mentioned that any such use by a wide-body would require use of an adjacent gates; i.e., 2 gates would be needed to fit a Stage 5 airplane in at T1. (There was certainly no hinting that SAN expects WN to buy 747s next year! LOL!)

Regarding the people-mover that appears in the renderings (generally showing the red SD trolley) the latest I remember is that nothing has yet been decided about if or when any such service would be initiated. While designing T1, the airport is simply allowing right-of-way for future people-mover presence. SANDAG is a big part of deciding any such decisions and that has not happened yet; the airport design team is simply allowing and planning for the future. That way, the people-mover could easily be built in space 'reserved' for it as construction proceeds. I don't think there is any plan for a "local" people-mover to simply operate between T1 and T2, or even between the terminals and the car rental building on the north side, but I'm not totally clear on that. Eventually I would expect there would be.

Regarding the new "A" taxiway to be built south of "B", I think the plan is for it to flow eastward beginning at around T2E but this can not be completed until the current T1 is demolished in the 2nd phase of the T1 project. Also, part of the project is to move "B" ~38' south of its present location to increase the separation from the active runway. In a future phase of airport improvements, T2E is to be demolished and I believe at that time, taxiway "A" will extend all the way to T2W. (It seems to me that "A" already exists north of T2W.)

The way I see it, "A" will be done in sections and will be kind of piecemeal. That being said, any additional taxiway presence at SAN will be a big help in getting airplanes where they need to go! There's info on this question and most others in the EIR found here: https://www.san.org/Airport-Projects/En ... -draft-eir

Hope this helps and please feel free to correct any errors I've made.

bb

blacksoviet

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:15 pm

I doubt that construction will begin on November 1st. They haven’t even begun demolishing the Commuter Terminal and that will probably take months if there is asbestos that needs to be removed first.

blacksoviet

Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:24 am

SANFan wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
could someone please provide another link to the renderings of the new T1? I can't find them in this ever-growing list. I would very much appreciate it!!

I'll refer you to my post #342 (on p. 7 of this thread) for what I believe to be the latest renderings/video of plans for the new T1. This is for the video that was presented at the last SDCRAA board meeting earlier this month. The whole presentation by Dennis Probst at that meeting is worth watching IMO.

A lot of other stuff regarding the T1 rebuild is available at SAN.org, linked on the home page near the top. Some of this is from a bit ago, but most new stuff eventually shows up there.

Due to the important events and approvals that have already occurred this month -- and talked about up-thread -- I see no reason why actual construction won't be starting on or around November 1, as planned! THAT is exciting!!!

There have been a couple of questions raised recently up-thread about the T1 replacement. I don't know if those folks have found their answers on SAN.org but I wanted to throw a thought or two out there. (Keep in mind these points below are my interpretation of what I've seen and read.)

Regarding the couple of gates at the new T1 that I mentioned would be capable of handling Stage 5 aircraft (up to 747s), they are being included in the design just in case at some point, a carrier that might use a 747, A350, etc., might end up living in or using T1. Overflow would be another reason, but of course there will be no FIS in T1 so these gates would only be for domestic wide-body service. It was mentioned that any such use by a wide-body would require use of an adjacent gates; i.e., 2 gates would be needed to fit a Stage 5 airplane in at T1. (There was certainly no hinting that SAN expects WN to buy 747s next year! LOL!)

Regarding the people-mover that appears in the renderings (generally showing the red SD trolley) the latest I remember is that nothing has yet been decided about if or when any such service would be initiated. While designing T1, the airport is simply allowing right-of-way for future people-mover presence. SANDAG is a big part of deciding any such decisions and that has not happened yet; the airport design team is simply allowing and planning for the future. That way, the people-mover could easily be built in space 'reserved' for it as construction proceeds. I don't think there is any plan for a "local" people-mover to simply operate between T1 and T2, or even between the terminals and the car rental building on the north side, but I'm not totally clear on that. Eventually I would expect there would be.

Regarding the new "A" taxiway to be built south of "B", I think the plan is for it to flow eastward beginning at around T2E but this can not be completed until the current T1 is demolished in the 2nd phase of the T1 project. Also, part of the project is to move "B" ~38' south of its present location to increase the separation from the active runway. In a future phase of airport improvements, T2E is to be demolished and I believe at that time, taxiway "A" will extend all the way to T2W. (It seems to me that "A" already exists north of T2W.)

The way I see it, "A" will be done in sections and will be kind of piecemeal. That being said, any additional taxiway presence at SAN will be a big help in getting airplanes where they need to go! There's info on this question and most others in the EIR found here: https://www.san.org/Airport-Projects/En ... -draft-eir

bb

I think it is silly to make room for Stage 5 aircraft in Terminal 1. No domestic airline is ever going to use 777s or 747-400s on a domestic flight. The only airlines that will use those types of aircraft are international airlines that use the FIS in Terminal 2 West. They should build more gates for Stage 5 aircraft when they expand Terminal 2 West and the FIS.

itripreport

Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 am

SANFan wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

AS's rather short-lived attempt at serving SAN-MEX ran from November 2017 until May 2018.

bb

I remember at one point well over 10 years ago we had Aeromexico running MEX-SJD-SAN

blacksoviet

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:18 am

itripreport wrote:
SANFan wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

bb

I remember at one point well over 10 years ago we had Aeromexico running MEX-SJD-SAN

I think that was between 2003 and 2012. Aeromexico had a ticketing office at 222 Broadway. The office closed in early 2012.

Was that with a 73G or a MD-87? Both offer excellent high altitude performance as well as good short runway performance.

hawaiian717

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:00 am

blacksoviet wrote:
SANFan wrote:

I think it is silly to make room for Stage 5 aircraft in Terminal 1. No domestic airline is ever going to use 777s or 747-400s on a domestic flight. The only airlines that will use those types of aircraft are international airlines that use the FIS in Terminal 2 West. They should build more gates for Stage 5 aircraft when they expand Terminal 2 West and the FIS.

Read SANFan’s post closer. They’re designing gates to accommodate Group V aircraft, but it will still block a second gate to do it. This is a reasonable compromise to provide future flexibility, and to say no airline will ever use such an aircraft at SAN for a domestic flight is not only a bit of a stretch, it’s simply untrue. The A330 is Group V, and not only does Hawaiian fly one in every day (at least until they decide to downgrade us to the A321neo), but Delta has had multiple daily A330s on the schedule in recent months.

blacksoviet wrote:
Was that with a 73G or a MD-87? Both offer excellent high altitude performance as well as good short runway performance.

Both. I don’t know the destinations of the flights, but I’ve photographed Aeromexico MD-87s at SAN in Dec 2001 and Dec 2005, an Aeromexico MD-88 at SAN in Feb 2006, and an Aeromexico 737-700 at SAN in Jan 2007.

blacksoviet

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
SANFan wrote:

Read SANFan’s post closer. They’re designing gates to accommodate Group V aircraft, but it will still block a second gate to do it. This is a reasonable compromise to provide future flexibility, and to say no airline will ever use such an aircraft at SAN for a domestic flight is not only a bit of a stretch, it’s simply untrue. The A330 is Group V, and not only does Hawaiian fly one in every day (at least until they decide to downgrade us to the A321neo), but Delta has had multiple daily A330s on the schedule in recent months.

blacksoviet wrote:

Both. I don’t know the destinations of the flights, but I’ve photographed Aeromexico MD-87s at SAN in Dec 2001 and Dec 2005, an Aeromexico MD-88 at SAN in Feb 2006, and an Aeromexico 737-700 at SAN in Jan 2007.

Does Delta prefer the A330-200 or the A330-300?

Norcalnc

Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of SAN in June 2021:
ATL-SAN - 8646 passengers, 9636 seats, 89.73% load factor
AUS-SAN - 16321 passengers, 18162 seats, 89.86% load factor
BNA-SAN - 14486 passengers, 17678 seats, 81.94% load factor
BOI-SAN - 6779 passengers, 8646 seats, 78.41% load factor
BWI-SAN - 16547 passengers, 17494 seats, 94.59% load factor
DAL-SAN - 27073 passengers, 29717 seats, 91.10% load factor
DEN-SAN - 52877 passengers, 57801 seats, 91.48% load factor
HNL-SAN - 15280 passengers, 19250 seats, 79.38% load factor
HOU-SAN - 17509 passengers, 19383 seats, 90.33% load factor
KOA-SAN - 386 passengers, 1050 seats, 36.76% load factor
LAS-SAN - 54568 passengers, 64299 seats, 84.87% load factor
LIH-SAN - 98 passengers, 350 seats, 28.00% load factor
MCI-SAN - 6817 passengers, 7647 seats, 89.15% load factor
MDW-SAN - 29394 passengers, 32758 seats, 89.73% load factor
OAK-SAN - 39786 passengers, 47672 seats, 83.46% load factor
OGG-SAN - 3391 passengers, 9975 seats, 33.99% load factor
ORF-SAN - 3230 passengers, 3500 seats, 92.29% load factor
PHX-SAN - 49342 passengers, 55703 seats, 88.58% load factor
RNO-SAN - 12282 passengers, 15200 seats, 80.80% load factor
SAN-SAT - 2109 passengers, 2322 seats, 90.83% load factor
SAN-SFO - 25270 passengers, 30458 seats, 82.97% load factor
SAN-SJC - 47079 passengers, 55467 seats, 84.88% load factor
SAN-SLC - 8498 passengers, 10020 seats, 84.81% load factor
SAN-SMF - 55458 passengers, 62434 seats, 88.83% load factor
SAN-STL - 9373 passengers, 9747 seats, 96.16% load factor
SAN-TPA - 3619 passengers, 3861 seats, 93.73% load factor
SAN-TUS - 6198 passengers, 6804 seats, 91.09% load factor

Hi! How did you pull this data? Link would be appreciated. Sorry about newbie question. Thanks

itripreport

Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
itripreport wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I think that was between 2003 and 2012. Aeromexico had a ticketing office at 222 Broadway. The office closed in early 2012.

Oh I remember that being on their 73G, cuz I took that route quite a few times, they'd even offer a meal in economy on SJD-SAN. Not sure how accurate this may be, but didn't volaris attempt to fly to San Diego In like 2015?

hawaiian717

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 am

itripreport wrote:
Not sure how accurate this may be, but didn't volaris attempt to fly to San Diego In like 2015?

I have photos of Volaris at SAN in May 2012 and Dec 2013. I don’t know when they left, but I think it was around when CBX opened.

wedgetail737

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:40 am

I remember AM and Aero California at SAN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos