Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZYYT

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 pm

m1m2 wrote:
I don't know how often their site is updated, but https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... html#/na-1 shows Halifax to Gander being reduced to 4 flights per week and St. John's to Toronto being reduced to one per day. It also shows Halifax to Goose Bay at three flights per week.

Not sure who is right, the news or what I found on the AC site.

There are definitely mixed signals... CBC continues to report that St. John's Toronto direct flights are ending, even while AC shows 1 daily through February. Does anybody out there know which is correct?

Aresxerexade

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/quebec-businessman-peladeau-calls-on-federal-government-to-block-sale-of-beleaguered-air-transat-1.5262179

Pierre Karl Péladeau is calling on Ottawa to block the sale of Air Transat to Air Canada.

This investor is ludicrous to think that they can over take Air Canada’s proposal. For one he has never run an airline. His only association with the transportation sector remains his recent purchase of a bankrupt Montreal electric taxi venture that had tried and failed to take on Uber.

Earlier, it was reported that Mr Peladeau was offering $6 per share for the company, yet it was debunked by Air Transat . He was only offering the same no better than Air Canada at $5 per share. Mr Peladeau’s offer lacks binding, fully committed financing or evidence of sufficient cash on hand for the purpose of making the acquisition.

In a statement from Air Transat:

“This offer, without demonstrated committed financing, appears designed to attempt to adversely influence the regulatory approval process by suggesting that an alternative exists, should the regulatory authorities choose to reject the arrangement between Transat and Air Canada,” stated Jean-Yves Leblanc, president of the special committee of Transat’s board of directors.

Yes regulatory approval rubber stamping is not 100% certain for this transaction. What is certain is this rival bid from the Quebecor Mr Peladeau, seems to serve as nothing more than a distraction to the relevant approving authorities , and I hope they see right through it.

There is no doubt in my mind that Transport Canada will not see the smokes and mirrors of this attempt. The overall picture should always be who has the resources and will truly save jobs. AC the clear winner here.

m1m2

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 pm

"There are definitely mixed signals... CBC continues to report that St. John's Toronto direct flights are ending, even while AC shows 1 daily through February. Does anybody out there know which is correct?"

I agree. I tried a mock booking on AC website and you can book flights from Gander three days a week, I think it was Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Of course, this is a reduction from the current daily flight, which was already a reduction from the twice daily flight. As for YYT, it looks like they are at one direct per day to YYZ, which is way down from the approx. 6 per day that it was.

9252fly

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:44 am

AC just updated their domestic schedule thru to the end of March.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... html#/na-1

m1m2

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 am

Looks like the news is right then, I was hoping they were wrong. Thank you for the update.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:42 am

danipawa wrote:
Airbus A319 -114 546 C-GBIP Air Canada ferried 11jan21 YYZ-MCI prior part-out & scrap (+ 736 C-GAQX) ex D-AVYV
Airbus A320 -211 341 C-FPDN Air Canada ferried 05jan21 YYZ-MCI prior part-out & scrap (+ 330 C-FKOJ 11jan21 YYC-MCI) ex F-WWBR

https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4

C-GBIP is the first A319 prototype to roll out of the Airbus factories.

https://www.airfleets.net/listing/a319-1.htm

billsalton92 wrote:
Appears the Trans Canada retro A319 C-FZUH has flown to Kansas as well

Yes. If flew YYC-MCI on January 5

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFZUH

codyul wrote:
They're going fast now ;(

By my count, that's 5 A319s and 5 A320s that were scrapped this month.

A319

C-GBIP, C-FZUH, C-FZUJ, C-GAQX, C-GAQL

A320

C-FPWD, C-FPDN, C-FKPT, C-FKOJ, C-FNVV

WildcatYXU

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 pm

jmt18325 wrote:

People shouldn't have been on vacation. Good for them.

Why exactly people shouldn't have been on vacation?

HJM

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 pm

"Vacation travel" is presently discouraged (restricted?) by the Government. Only "essential travel" is supposed to take place.

yyztpa2

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 pm

9252fly wrote:
AC just updated their domestic schedule thru to the end of March.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... html#/na-1

Final schedule seems to be a 'work-in-progress'. A search this morning for YYZ-YSB on Feb 22nd offered 6 flight choices. It's as if all pre-COVID options are open until they begin to cancel and consolidate.

codyul

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
codyul wrote:
They're going fast now ;(

By my count, that's 5 A319s and 5 A320s that were scrapped this month.

A319

C-GBIP, C-FZUH, C-FZUJ, C-GAQX, C-GAQL

A320

C-FPWD, C-FPDN, C-FKPT, C-FKOJ, C-FNVV

AC2328 today another 320 (fmsx) to MCI

codyul

Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 pm

So all the 1992-3 have been sent to MCI the last week to be retired presumably. But there are a bunch of 2002-3 builds, maybe they will stick around...
(8 of them)
Last edited by codyul on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skywatcher

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
PWA732 wrote:
There is an awful witch-hunt going on in Canada right now. It certainly hurts Air Canada and it's very precarious position.

Governments from the Federal level down through the Provincial level and on to the Municipal level are berating, publicly humiliating, punishing and actually terminating the employment of those in the public eye who have travelled abroad over the past few months. It's absolutely sickening.

Either close the borders for personal travel, or don't. According to the government, immediate 14 days quarantine upon arrival home was working fine, and those in public service were fully compliant with this requirement before this "witch-hunt" began.

Many Canadians, including those in public service, have property abroad, or simply need to escape the "frozen north" to maintain some semblance of sanity over the winter. These persecuted public servants are following travel rules and restrictions that all Canadian travelers must follow. Apparently the rules are "not good enough" for public servants. I feel so bad for them to be terminated or persecuted for political "public optics". I hope they gather together and sue their respective government employers for wrongful dismissal when they fully intended to follow quarantine guidelines just like every other Canadian. These are very dark days.

Pete.

I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s absolutely shocking / disheartening to watch what’s going on in Canada these days. The casual acceptance of loss of freedom defies belief.

It’s mid January and even with all that tax payer funded federal / provincial bureaucracy, not a single coherent mass vax rollout plan has been announced in any province.

Meanwhile, in Arizona, they’re opening up vaccinations to any and all over the age of 65 as of next Tues, (it’s currently 80+), with on-line registrations and multiple 24/7 facilities that will soon be handling 12,000 vax a day, each, double current levels. Then are using mass sites such as NFL stadium parking lots to get the job done.

I’m not in that cohort, but likely in the next one or perhaps 2, and at this rate, that will be by the end of Feb.

Once they vax the 40% of the total population, ( the over 50 cohort), cases will continue, but it should eliminate roughly 75% of hospitalizations, 80% of ICU visits and 98% of fatalities.

At that point, hospital capacity is not at threat, and travel, jobs, economic activity and life can quickly get back to normal.

If that’s the goal, (and can there be any other possible goal??!), Canada is moving towards it at something less a snails pace with very little sense of urgency.

Scandalous.

I couldn't agree more. The black hole that is the Canadian public sector is failing miserably during the one time we really needed them to step up to the plate.
How many of the public workers are currently on vacation/burn-out/long term disability/sick days/leave of absence/awaiting re-assignment on full pay etc.? I would venture a guess of 1/3.

As much as we see the actual healthcare heros working the front line they represent only a very small portion of the total healthcare workforce alone.

I trust that the general public is waking up to this unfortunate reality and that some pushback can finally begin.

How hard would it have been to set up proper airport testing/entrance procedures by the Federal government like they have in Korea, Taiwan, Japan and so on?

Airlinerdude

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:57 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
Once they vax the 40% of the total population, ( the over 50 cohort), cases will continue, but it should eliminate roughly 75% of hospitalizations, 80% of ICU visits and 98% of fatalities.

At that point, hospital capacity is not at threat, and travel, jobs, economic activity and life can quickly get back to normal.

If that’s the goal, (and can there be any other possible goal??!), Canada is moving towards it at something less a snails pace with very little sense of urgency.

Scandalous.

This is exactly what I've been trying to explain to work colleagues, family, and friends for quite some time now. It's incredible how little people seem to grasp this concept.

Infections will still continue, but once hospitalizations, ICU rates, and deaths start to decline, the media won't have the same ammunition, be it justifiably or unjustifiably, to scaremonger. The narrative will shift to discussing the huge vaccination programs and little attention will be put on new infections. Like you say, normal life will return quicker than I think most people imagine.

m1m2

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 pm

I hope you guys are right about life returning to normal....I'm getting tired of life being this way.

codyul

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:15 pm

"Air Canada to expand cargo business through 767 sale, leaseback | News | Flight Global" https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/air ... 64.article
They mention only 2 conversions.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:38 am

jimbo737 wrote:

I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s absolutely shocking / disheartening to watch what’s going on in Canada these days. The casual acceptance of loss of freedom defies belief.

It’s mid January and even with all that tax payer funded federal / provincial bureaucracy, not a single coherent mass vax rollout plan has been announced in any province.

Meanwhile, in Arizona, they’re opening up vaccinations to any and all over the age of 65 as of next Tues, (it’s currently 80+), with on-line registrations and multiple 24/7 facilities that will soon be handling 12,000 vax a day, each, double current levels. Then are using mass sites such as NFL stadium parking lots to get the job done.

I’m not in that cohort, but likely in the next one or perhaps 2, and at this rate, that will be by the end of Feb.

Scandalous.

While I share some of your viewpoints, you're making it sound like Canada's vaccination efforts are 3rd world. They're not. On a per capita basis, were not doing that bad. We are 13th in the world and in fact are doing better than countries like Germany, France, Russia and China.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

The US is getting a lot more vaccines than Canada, so it's only normal that they need to start mass vaccination quicker, in order for the majority of their population to get vaccinated in a timeline similar to other countries. Canada's ramp up is coming. We have to be patient. Quebec was saying last week that they could vaccinate a quarter million people a week. They just need the vaccines, which aren't arriving quickly enough. And it's not because Trudeau hasn't secured the doses.

If anything, Canada and the US can learn from Israel. They're the ones leading the vaccination effort across the globe.

codyul wrote:
"Air Canada to expand cargo business through 767 sale, leaseback | News | Flight Global" https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/air ... 64.article
They mention only 2 conversions.

The only bit of news here is the sale and leaseback. We already knew last month that they were planning on converting 2 763s to freighters.

danipawa

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:06 am

Airbus A319 -114 719 C-FZUJ Air Canada ferried 13jan21 YUL-MCI prior part-out & scrap (+ 732 C-GAQL YVR-MCI) ex D-AVYW

Airbus A320 -211 231 C-FPWD Air Canada ferried 13jan21 YYZ-MCI prior part-out & scrap (+ 324 C-FKPT, + 404 C-FNVV 12jan21) ex F-WWDV

Airbus A320 -211 378 C-FMSX Air Canada ferried 14jan21 YVR-MCI prior part-out & scrap ex F-WWIY

https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4

alexdelzotto

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Fin 945 ex TAP A330 is in operation since January 13th.

Fully in dream cabin and new livery. Currently operating AC301 YUL-YVR

Also just a side note, new route YUL-BOG first flight this morning.
AC098

codyul

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:57 pm

RV2367 19jan2021 YYZ-MCI 320 (GFCP)
Rouge 320s were just brought in. Could this be being retired/ returned to lessor already...
It's a 2007 build so newer than the 2002-3s that are now the only ones left at mainline.

codyul

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:40 pm

I'm probably just jumping the gun. Of course with the added international restrictions and the workforce reductions, there is effectively almost no Rouge, for now.
But when I see MCI, I think retirement and scrapping. Do they have storage there as well?

codyul

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 am

Yesterday (19th) a mainline 321 was ferried to MCI. Hmmmmmm

777luver

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:37 pm

If this isn't a slap in the face once again to the major carriers I'm not sure what isn't

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress. ... mmunities/

alexdelzotto

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Air Canada has quietly loaded some interesting new routes into the system.

AC050 YUL-DEL 3/week effective Apr 18 (B789)
AC074 YUL-CAI 3/week effective Jun 17 (B789)

AC has quite a hub going on @ YUL. Several key routes additions over the last couple of years, some unique to the AC network.

Source:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... dules.html

Search destinations and dates mentioned above.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Going after VFR demand seems to be the gold standard for long haul flying nowadays.

CAI doesn’t surprise me. Decent sized O&D, and let’s not forget MS used to serve YUL a while back. RJ won’t be happy, as I’m sure they used to carry a decent amount of CAI traffic through AMM.

YUL-DEL, on the other hand, is a bit surprising. Didn’t think the market was large enough to support its own non stop. They must be going after QR to India, now that they will be upping DOH-YUL to daily service.

Skywatcher

Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:53 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Going after VFR demand seems to be the gold standard for long haul flying nowadays.

CAI doesn’t surprise me. Decent sized O&D, and let’s not forget MS used to serve YUL a while back. RJ won’t be happy, as I’m sure they used to carry a decent amount of CAI traffic through AMM.

YUL-DEL, on the other hand, is a bit surprising. Didn’t think the market was large enough to support its own non stop. They must be going after QR to India, now that they will be upping DOH-YUL to daily service.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't cheaper to operate flights like this and funnel "surplus" connecting passengers via YUL rather than YYZ.
There's less back-tracking for YOW and Maritime originating passengers as well as certain American/Latin American ones as well.

runway23

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 am

Wonder what could be next KBP, MOW, MNL - these seem like possibilities seeing the expat communities in Canada (KBP perhaps from YUL because of PS already serving YYZ). Large communities but pretty much impossible/unlikely to be served due to US influence: IKA and BEY.

alexdelzotto

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:19 am

runway23 wrote:
Wonder what could be next KBP, MOW, MNL - these seem like possibilities seeing the expat communities in Canada (KBP perhaps from YUL because of PS already serving YYZ). Large communities but pretty much impossible/unlikely to be served due to US influence: IKA and BEY.

As huge as the YUL-BEY market is, the non stop is still further then ever.

runway23

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:00 am

alexdelzotto wrote:
runway23 wrote:

As huge as the YUL-BEY market is, the non stop is still further then ever.

Of course and that's why I said it was impossible. AC has a solid agreement with ME via LHR/GVA and it probably won't change.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 am

Skywatcher wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't cheaper to operate flights like this and funnel "surplus" connecting passengers via YUL rather than YYZ.
There's less back-tracking for YOW and Maritime originating passengers as well as certain American/Latin American ones as well.

I think YUL-DEL makes sense in a travel bubble context.

Right now, India has suspended all international flights until January 31, 2021. They have travel bubble agreements in place with 21 countries, including Canada. Chances are they will extend the ban and continue with these travel bubbles. AC is probably counting on that to happen. This provides an edge to AC and AI, as only they are allowed to sell Canada-India traffic. Ex. right now, until Jan 31, QR cannot sell YUL-DOH-DEL. Neither can any European carrier. This gives AC an edge and helps increase yields on any non stop they launch to DEL.

If India lifts the ban on international flights before next April, chances are this route won't start.

https://www.india-briefing.com/news/ind ... 0683.html/

Nileblue

Air Canada Launch Flights To Egypt

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:26 pm

This comes as quite a surprise but Air Canada have loaded a thrice weekly Montreal - Cairo service from 17th June 2021.

Schedule is as follows:
AC074 YUL CAI 18:20 10:25+1 -2-4-6- B789 10hr05min
AC075 CAI YUL 12:00 17:00 --3-5-7 B789 11hr00min

Source: Air Canada booking engine

Star Alliance partner, EgyptAir operate a CAI-YYZ service - currently a twice weekly B789 service increasing to a 4pw B77W service this summer (pre-Covid it operated a 6pw B77W service in S19). EgyptAir used to operate a CAI-YUL service until 2009 (was operated as a twice weekly A342 service).

andrew1996

Re: Air Canada Launch Flights To Egypt

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Does this have anything to do with COVID-19 flight disruptions from other airlines that Air Canada is now seeing a market opportunity?

I am also surprised they chose the 789 out of YUL for this route instead of the A333. I am not sure what yields would be like on this flight as I can't imagine it being particularly high and probably geared towards VFR

Its exicitng AC is still launching routes unexpected like the DOH route, albeit DOH offers a range of connections on QR. For example, even booking YYZ-SIN between two massive star alliance hubs AC is now selling at a reasonable pro rate price on QR to fly the DOH-SIN sector as opposed to the more traditional code share partners of NH and SQ. I am not sure how much parthernship AC is getting, if any, from EgyptAir out of this or if it is meant to help serve other points in Africa, albeit I feel like Ethopian may have been a more natural partner, which also serves YYZ.

SurfandSnow

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 pm

Wow! AC's expansion in the Arab World continues! Are they still thinking about trying YUL-BEY?

Ishrion

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm

The aircraft seems to be unclear. On aircanada.com, YUL-CAI is showing up as a 787-8. On external booking sites, it's showing up as the 787-9.

FCOTSTW

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:41 pm

From a very rough standpoint, it might make sense. All of the main North African airlines have (or had, due to COVID) flights to North America:

- TU: YUL / JFK;
- AT: YUL / JFK / IAD;
- AH: YUL;
- MS: YUL / LAX / JFK / IAD

On the other hand, AA and UA do not fly to North Africa at all, while DL only goes to CAI.

A good opportunity to carve a niche market. Libya it out of this picture.

FCOTSTW

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:44 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Wow! AC's expansion in the Arab World continues! Are they still thinking about trying YUL-BEY?

I might really think not. Lebanon is going through a major economic collapse, where banks froze customer deposits and where WHO was foreseeing famine in 2021. In addition, the big August explosion has destroyed most of the city center. That might strongly be a no-go.

phatfarmlines

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:46 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
On the other hand, AA and UA do not fly to North Africa at all, while DL only goes to CAI.

DL stopped flying to CAI resulting from the Arab Spring uprising in 2011.

FCOTSTW

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:47 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
FCOTSTW wrote:

DL stopped flying to CAI resulting from the Arab Spring uprising in 2011.

WOW. Thank you for your comments. That highlights more the lack of attention of major airlines to these markets.

rukundo

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Can you delete my post, sorry.

yulexpansion

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 pm

FCOTSTW wrote:
From a very rough standpoint, it might make sense. All of the main North African airlines have (or had, due to COVID) flights to North America:

- TU: YUL / JFK;
- AT: YUL / JFK / IAD;
- AH: YUL;
- MS: YUL / LAX / JFK / IAD

A good opportunity to carve a niche market. Libya it out of this picture.

MS flies to YYZ, they used to fly to YUL until 2009.

behramjee

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:05 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:

YUL-CAI is mainly a summer seasonal market and in 2019, the full year p2p demand was 29,000 pax versus YYZ-CAI being 81,000 round trip.

YUL-DEL on the other hand is a bigger p2p market and yes in the current travel bubble context makes sense to operate using a fuel efficient B788. P2P demand in 2019 here was 42,000 pax and this flight will be used to also take pax onwads to YOW, YYC and YEG not only from DEL but also from all across India as pax would be buying a seperate domestic ticket to DEL and then fly AC.

All in all, both these routes in the current operating climate make commercial sense !

HJM

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:43 am

It does appear to me that Canada-India traffic has remained strong in-spite of current virus protocols.

yulexpansion

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:03 am

behramjee wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

YUL-CAI is mainly a summer seasonal market and in 2019, the full year p2p demand was 29,000 pax versus YYZ-CAI being 81,000 round trip.

YUL-DEL on the other hand is a bigger p2p market and yes in the current travel bubble context makes sense to operate using a fuel efficient B788. P2P demand in 2019 here was 42,000 pax and this flight will be used to also take pax onwads to YOW, YYC and YEG not only from DEL but also from all across India as pax would be buying a seperate domestic ticket to DEL and then fly AC.

All in all, both these routes in the current operating climate make commercial sense !

Thanks for the solid analysis Behramjee. Just to clarify CAI will be on 788 and DEL on 789. Regarding connectivity beyond DEL, don't forget AC has two partners: AI, and more recently UK.

Thenoflyzone

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:34 pm

behramjee wrote:

Thanks for sharing those O&D numbers. Never thought YUL-DEL would be 40K+, and certainly didn’t think it was larger than CAI.

Then again, the Egyptian Canadian population has shifted from being 75% based in Quebec during the 60s/70s to mostly being in Ontario nowadays. The split is around 60/30 now in favour of the heartland province, the rest being out west. Explaining MS dropping YUL in 2009 and starting YYZ a few years later. Still, the fact AC is going after YUL-CAI demonstrates that demand is still there. The non stop should stimulate the market somewhat as well.

alexdelzotto

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:56 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
behramjee wrote:

Thanks for sharing those O&D numbers. Never thought YUL-DEL would be 40K+, and certainly didn’t think it was larger than CAI.

Then again, the Egyptian Canadian population has shifted from being 75% based in Quebec during the 60s/70s to mostly being in Ontario nowadays. The split is around 60/30 now in favour of the heartland province, the rest being out west. Explaining MS dropping YUL in 2009 and starting YYZ a few years later. Still, the fact AC is going after YUL-CAI demonstrates that demand is still there. The non stop should stimulate the market somewhat as well.

Makes for easy connections with MS onward to BEY.
A few flights a day between CAI and BEY and much better alternative to GVA.
If the flight was to take a delay in YUL, pax don't have to worry about having a schengen.

runway23

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:25 am

alexdelzotto wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
behramjee wrote:

If the flight was to take a delay in YUL, pax don't have to worry about having a schengen.

Right now connections to BEY in CAI are 6+ hours and/or overnight. It’s hardly convenient. Besides in GVA if someone misconnects but doesn’t have a schengen visa they aren’t abandoned in the terminal and there is a procedure that exists. That said, I’d expect most passengers to hold a Canadian passport.

alexdelzotto

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:09 am

runway23 wrote:
alexdelzotto wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Right now connections to BEY in CAI are 6+ hours and/or overnight. It’s hardly convenient. Besides in GVA if someone misconnects but doesn’t have a schengen visa they aren’t abandoned in the terminal and there is a procedure that exists. That said, I’d expect most passengers to hold a Canadian passport.

You'd be surprised how many don't.

EdmFlyBoi

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:29 am

andrew1996 wrote:
I am also surprised they chose the 789 out of YUL for this route instead of the A333. I am not sure what yields would be like on this flight as I can't imagine it being particularly high and probably geared towards VFR.

AC has 8 older A330’s that might not be as efficient on Middle East routes. The A330’s will continue to do YUL and some YYZ to Europe. India, Asia, Oceania, and the Middle East are well suited to the 787 fleet.

350Ops

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:26 pm

There is also the opportunity to connect to central Africa via MS for YUL CAI traffic. Francophone African diaspora in Quebec will have more options beyond CDG, LHR, FRA

Skywatcher

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:49 pm

350Ops wrote:
There is also the opportunity to connect to central Africa via MS for YUL CAI traffic. Francophone African diaspora in Quebec will have more options beyond CDG, LHR, FRA

I flew YUL-GVA a couple of years ago. After deplaning, there was a separate line with a kiosk that was labeled "connection to Beirut". I believe that it was before we left the secure zone which would eliminate any customs issues.

runway23

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 pm

350Ops wrote:

Two things going against that: MS only serves ABJ, DLA, KGL as Francophone African countries. ABJ doesn't seem loaded in the schedules right now.

Geography aside (i.e. the fact that CAI is far far away from 95% of African Francophone countries), ABJ, DLA, KGL already connect efficiently through BRU.

CAI-DLA operates on Tuesday and Friday but leaves an hour before the AC flight arrives. KGL operates on Thursday and Saturday nights = 36 hour connections.

Pretty much the only thing YUL-CAI connects well to is domestic Egyptian flights and Saudi Arabia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos