Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Vio
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:23 pm

Maybe this is a silly question, but none the less:

I'm curious, given the recent environment (small load factors), wouldn't it make more sense to fly narrow body aircraft to Europe with a "technical fuel stop" in Iceland?

This would be a temporary solution, so larger planes don't fly empty. I understand that sometimes cargo plays a role in this and that alone makes the trip worth while.

You can fly a 737MAX from Toronto to Prague or Budapest, with a stopover in Reykjavik.
 
User avatar
AC_B777
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 5:15 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Looks like a financial package is on the way for AC. Not sure about other airlines.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/air-ca ... -1.5984543
 
User avatar
AC_B777
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 5:15 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:35 pm

Vio wrote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but none the less:

I'm curious, given the recent environment (small load factors), wouldn't it make more sense to fly narrow body aircraft to Europe with a "technical fuel stop" in Iceland?

I'm wondering why you would think they would have to do a tech stop Iceland? All the newer narrowbody a/c could easily do TATL from any station east of and including YYZ. AC could easily do some narrowbody TATL routes from both YHZ and YYT where we have our own staffing, including ticket agents, ramp and maintenance. To me, that would make more sense.
 
User avatar
Vio
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:38 pm

AC_B777 wrote:
Vio wrote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but none the less:

I'm curious, given the recent environment (small load factors), wouldn't it make more sense to fly narrow body aircraft to Europe with a "technical fuel stop" in Iceland?

I'm wondering why you would think they would have to do a tech stop Iceland? All the newer narrowbody a/c could easily do TATL from any station east of and including YYZ. AC could easily do some narrowbody TATL routes from both YHZ and YYT where we have our own staffing, including ticket agents, ramp and maintenance. To me, that would make more sense.



I don't think a 737 MAX can do YYZ to BUD non stop. Yes, maybe UK, but I mean for smaller seasonal markets...
 
North3270
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Looks like AC has quietly loaded this as well to compete with WS YYZ-YQQ.

YYZ-YCD 2x via 223 eff. 03JULY.
 
User avatar
Vio
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 pm

Vio wrote:
AC_B777 wrote:
Vio wrote:
Maybe this is a silly question, but none the less:

I'm curious, given the recent environment (small load factors), wouldn't it make more sense to fly narrow body aircraft to Europe with a "technical fuel stop" in Iceland?

I'm wondering why you would think they would have to do a tech stop Iceland? All the newer narrowbody a/c could easily do TATL from any station east of and including YYZ. AC could easily do some narrowbody TATL routes from both YHZ and YYT where we have our own staffing, including ticket agents, ramp and maintenance. To me, that would make more sense.



I don't think a 737 MAX can do YYZ to BUD non stop. Yes, maybe UK, but I mean for smaller seasonal markets, especially destinations that were served by Rouge (Prague, Budapest, Bucharest)...
 
User avatar
Vio
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 pm

Vio wrote:
Vio wrote:
AC_B777 wrote:
I'm wondering why you would think they would have to do a tech stop Iceland? All the newer narrowbody a/c could easily do TATL from any station east of and including YYZ. AC could easily do some narrowbody TATL routes from both YHZ and YYT where we have our own staffing, including ticket agents, ramp and maintenance. To me, that would make more sense.



I don't think a 737 MAX can do YYZ to BUD non stop. Yes they can do TATL to Ireland, UK and maybe a bit further, but I mean for smaller seasonal markets, especially destinations that were served by Rouge in Eastern Europe (Prague, Budapest, Bucharest)...
 
Opus99
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:05 pm

https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/13 ... 57858?s=21

Air Canada to complete its 40 MAX orders and 33 A220 order
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Excellent news. Aid package announced . https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1884415555596

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland and Transport Minister Omar Alghabra provide details on a federal aid package for Air Canada that includes refunds for customers who had flights cancelled because of COVID-19 travel restrictions.

The “multibillion-dollar” aid package, which is expected to involve other parts of the industry, will not include equity stakes. The aid is expected to be built around low-cost loans and wage subsidies.
 
User avatar
YQBexYHZBGM
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am

Great news. I'd prefer to see sector-wide aid in the near future, to include all Canadian carriers. This would actually benefit AC as well, as accusations of favoritism that I'm certain will arise could then be dismissed.
 
wjv04
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2001 12:18 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:32 am

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Great news. I'd prefer to see sector-wide aid in the near future, to include all Canadian carriers. This would actually benefit AC as well, as accusations of favoritism that I'm certain will arise could then be dismissed.


Is it? Sure being spun by the Feds as such. Reading the terms even for face value eludes to the opposite.

As per the other parties, perhaps others were not interested in % ownership stakes, restrictions on fleet orders, CEO compensation capped at a very low rate, or need the money... Speaking about ONEX specifically.

AC accepted a deal that was offered to them. WJ's move now.. I have sneaking suspicions this eventually shines a light on who really was on the ropes vs others.
 
777luver
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:48 am

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Great news. I'd prefer to see sector-wide aid in the near future, to include all Canadian carriers. This would actually benefit AC as well, as accusations of favoritism that I'm certain will arise could then be dismissed.


Transat is in final talks for aid
 
samuelx88
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Are there any chances that AC adds YVR-YQB this summer to compete with Air Transat on this new route? It would be a good route for a 2 weekly A220
 
Dominion301
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 pm

wjv04 wrote:
YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Great news. I'd prefer to see sector-wide aid in the near future, to include all Canadian carriers. This would actually benefit AC as well, as accusations of favoritism that I'm certain will arise could then be dismissed.


Is it? Sure being spun by the Feds as such. Reading the terms even for face value eludes to the opposite.

As per the other parties, perhaps others were not interested in % ownership stakes, restrictions on fleet orders, CEO compensation capped at a very low rate, or need the money... Speaking about ONEX specifically.

AC accepted a deal that was offered to them. WJ's move now.. I have sneaking suspicions this eventually shines a light on who really was on the ropes vs others.


While WS’ financials are now private, parent Onex is full public disclosure and they haven’t stopped making money.
 
wjv04
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2001 12:18 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 am

Dominion301 wrote:
wjv04 wrote:
YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Great news. I'd prefer to see sector-wide aid in the near future, to include all Canadian carriers. This would actually benefit AC as well, as accusations of favoritism that I'm certain will arise could then be dismissed.


Is it? Sure being spun by the Feds as such. Reading the terms even for face value eludes to the opposite.

As per the other parties, perhaps others were not interested in % ownership stakes, restrictions on fleet orders, CEO compensation capped at a very low rate, or need the money... Speaking about ONEX specifically.

AC accepted a deal that was offered to them. WJ's move now.. I have sneaking suspicions this eventually shines a light on who really was on the ropes vs others.


While WS’ financials are now private, parent Onex is full public disclosure and they haven’t stopped making money.


Correct... :)
 
346fetish
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(
 
alexdelzotto
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:18 pm

346fetish wrote:
Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(


The second daily YUL-CDG that runs from June to October will be taking the 874/875.

I believe it was just to do a clean up and save the 800 series for Europe, but maybe someone can better explain.

I know YUL-CMN is switching from 808/809 to AC70/71
YUL-ALG also from 810/811, to AC72/73

Funny however YUL-KEF which is Europe and briefly used AC812/813 will be using AC1172/1173 this summer.
 
yulexpansion
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:26 pm

alexdelzotto wrote:
346fetish wrote:
Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(


The second daily YUL-CDG that runs from June to October will be taking the 874/875.

I believe it was just to do a clean up and save the 800 series for Europe, but maybe someone can better explain.

I know YUL-CMN is switching from 808/809 to AC70/71
YUL-ALG also from 810/811, to AC72/73

Funny however YUL-KEF which is Europe and briefly used AC812/813 will be using AC1172/1173 this summer.



Notice that YYZLHR are now sequential by departure time: 852/854/856/858
Africa is now in the AC07X range to allow for Europe in the AC8XX range.

Notice that geographies are now together - LHR flights together. Germany flights together, etc.
 
hollywoodcory
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 pm

346fetish wrote:
Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(


844/845 has been YYC-FRA as long as I can remember and is now 848/849. I guess it puts both YYC-Europe flights are side by side as LHR kept 850/851.
 
nname
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:04 am

alexdelzotto wrote:
346fetish wrote:
Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(


The second daily YUL-CDG that runs from June to October will be taking the 874/875.

I believe it was just to do a clean up and save the 800 series for Europe, but maybe someone can better explain.

I know YUL-CMN is switching from 808/809 to AC70/71
YUL-ALG also from 810/811, to AC72/73

Funny however YUL-KEF which is Europe and briefly used AC812/813 will be using AC1172/1173 this summer.


AC change most of the international and transborder mainline flight numbers to make them sequential this summer, before removing them due to the pandemic. Another case is YYZ/YUL-LAX/SFO in the 700s are all sequential, although I'm not sure if they'll run any of them this summer...

YUL-KEF is now gone, and YYZ-KEF now uses AC814/815 this summer.

Here is a full list for S21 before all the cancellation/addition/shuffling occurred:
AC70   YUL-CMN
AC72   YUL-ALG
AC74   YUL-CAI
AC76
AC78
AC80   YYZ-TLV
AC82   YUL-TLV
AC84
AC86
AC88
AC88   YYZ-LIM
AC90   YYZ-GRU
AC92   YYZ-SCL-EZE
AC94   YYZ-BOG
AC96   YUL-GRU
AC98   YUL-BOG

AC800   YYZ-DUB
AC802   YUL-DUB
AC804   YVR-DUB
AC806   YYZ-EDI
AC808   YYZ-MAN
AC810   YYZ-LIS
AC812   YUL-LIS
AC814   YUL-TLS
AC816   YHZ-LHR
AC818   YYT-LHR
AC820   YYZ-BCN
AC822   YUL-BCN
AC824   YYZ-MAD
AC826   YYZ-AMS
AC828   YYZ-CPH
AC830   
AC832   YUL-BRU
AC834   YYZ-BRU
AC836   YYZ-MUC
AC838   YVR-CDG
AC840   YYZ-FRA
AC842   YYZ-FRA
AC844   YUL-FRA
AC846   YVR-FRA
AC848   YYC-FRA
AC850   YYC-LHR
AC852   YYZ-LHR
AC854   YYZ-LHR
AC856   YYZ-LHR
AC858   YYZ-LHR
AC860   YVR-LHR
AC862
AC864   YUL-LHR
AC866   
AC868   YOW-LHR
AC870   YUL-CDG
AC872   YYZ-CDG
AC874   YUL-CDG
AC876   YUL-LYS
AC878   YUL-NCE
AC880   YYZ-ZRH
AC882   YVR-ZRH
AC884   YUL-GVA
AC886   YYZ-VIE
AC888
AC890   YYZ-FCO
AC892   YUL-FCO
AC894   YYZ-MXP
AC896   YYZ-ATH
AC898   YUL-ATH


samuelx88 wrote:
Are there any chances that AC adds YVR-YQB this summer to compete with Air Transat on this new route? It would be a good route for a 2 weekly A220


AC does not currently plan to have any A220 based in YVR or YQB this summer... They don't even have a single A220 scheduled to either airport in the summer.
 
SwissCanuck
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 am

No more YYZ tag-on for GVA?
 
ZRHYYZ773ER
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 2:14 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am

346fetish wrote:
Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(



Zurich also changed from AC878/879 to 880/881 which used to be the YYZ-CDG-YYZ flight. the numbers 878/879 were used for Zurich for ages, was surprised to see the change.
 
Thomaas
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:10 pm

I do wonder what is AC's plan for the secondary European destinations they used to serve through Rouge. I can see them purchasing some second-hand A330s which they would configure in PY/Y at either mainline or rouge. Venice, Budapest, Warsaw and Glasgow certainly still have a place in the network absent of 767s.
 
alexdelzotto
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:58 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
No more YYZ tag-on for GVA?


That had stopped right before Covid hit, March 2020.

Anyway most pax originated in YUL.
 
samuelx88
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:35 pm

nname wrote:

samuelx88 wrote:
Are there any chances that AC adds YVR-YQB this summer to compete with Air Transat on this new route? It would be a good route for a 2 weekly A220


AC does not currently plan to have any A220 based in YVR or YQB this summer... They don't even have a single A220 scheduled to either airport in the summer.


So why does AC use a A220 to fly YOW-YYJ this summer? Do they have any A220 scheduled to either of these two airports? Maybe YYZ-YQB will be operated by A220 instead of Rouge A319 this summer?
 
alexdelzotto
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 pm

samuelx88 wrote:
nname wrote:

samuelx88 wrote:
Are there any chances that AC adds YVR-YQB this summer to compete with Air Transat on this new route? It would be a good route for a 2 weekly A220


AC does not currently plan to have any A220 based in YVR or YQB this summer... They don't even have a single A220 scheduled to either airport in the summer.


So why does AC use a A220 to fly YOW-YYJ this summer? Do they have any A220 scheduled to either of these two airports? Maybe YYZ-YQB will be operated by A220 instead of Rouge A319 this summer?


YOW-YYJ will operate because AC will rotate A220's on Rapidair flights like YYZ-YOW, so the plane and crew will be available.

With the way things are going right now, you wont see anything bigger then a Q400 on YYZ-YQB.
I'm sorry, I know you don't want to hear this but, its just simpler for AC to funnel pax via YUL/YYZ then start flights from YQB, especially that it's not a base for any planes or crew.
But who's knows.
Last edited by alexdelzotto on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
alexdelzotto
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 pm

Double post
 
samuelx88
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 pm

alexdelzotto wrote:
samuelx88 wrote:
nname wrote:



AC does not currently plan to have any A220 based in YVR or YQB this summer... They don't even have a single A220 scheduled to either airport in the summer.


So why does AC use a A220 to fly YOW-YYJ this summer? Do they have any A220 scheduled to either of these two airports? Maybe YYZ-YQB will be operated by A220 instead of Rouge A319 this summer?


YOW-YYJ will operate because AC will rotate A220's on Rapidair flights like YYZ-YOW, so the plane and crew will be available.

With the way things are going right now, you wont see anything bigger then a Q400 on YYZ-YQB.
I'm sorry, I know you don't want to hear this but, its just simpler for AC to funnel pax via YUL/YYZ then start flights from YQB, especially that it's not a base for any planes or crew.
But who's knows.

You're probably right and thank you for the explanations
 
krisyyz
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:04 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:08 am

nname wrote:
alexdelzotto wrote:
346fetish wrote:
Why did AC change international flight numbers? Noticed YULFRA is now 844/845... Looks like long gone are the 874/875 days :(


The second daily YUL-CDG that runs from June to October will be taking the 874/875.

I believe it was just to do a clean up and save the 800 series for Europe, but maybe someone can better explain.

I know YUL-CMN is switching from 808/809 to AC70/71
YUL-ALG also from 810/811, to AC72/73

Funny however YUL-KEF which is Europe and briefly used AC812/813 will be using AC1172/1173 this summer.


AC change most of the international and transborder mainline flight numbers to make them sequential this summer, before removing them due to the pandemic. Another case is YYZ/YUL-LAX/SFO in the 700s are all sequential, although I'm not sure if they'll run any of them this summer...

YUL-KEF is now gone, and YYZ-KEF now uses AC814/815 this summer.

Here is a full list for S21 before all the cancellation/addition/shuffling occurred:
AC70   YUL-CMN
AC72   YUL-ALG
AC74   YUL-CAI
AC76
AC78
AC80   YYZ-TLV
AC82   YUL-TLV
AC84
AC86
AC88
AC88   YYZ-LIM
AC90   YYZ-GRU
AC92   YYZ-SCL-EZE
AC94   YYZ-BOG
AC96   YUL-GRU
AC98   YUL-BOG

AC800   YYZ-DUB
AC802   YUL-DUB
AC804   YVR-DUB
AC806   YYZ-EDI
AC808   YYZ-MAN
AC810   YYZ-LIS
AC812   YUL-LIS
AC814   YUL-TLS
AC816   YHZ-LHR
AC818   YYT-LHR
AC820   YYZ-BCN
AC822   YUL-BCN
AC824   YYZ-MAD
AC826   YYZ-AMS
AC828   YYZ-CPH
AC830   
AC832   YUL-BRU
AC834   YYZ-BRU
AC836   YYZ-MUC
AC838   YVR-CDG
AC840   YYZ-FRA
AC842   YYZ-FRA
AC844   YUL-FRA
AC846   YVR-FRA
AC848   YYC-FRA
AC850   YYC-LHR
AC852   YYZ-LHR
AC854   YYZ-LHR
AC856   YYZ-LHR
AC858   YYZ-LHR
AC860   YVR-LHR
AC862
AC864   YUL-LHR
AC866   
AC868   YOW-LHR
AC870   YUL-CDG
AC872   YYZ-CDG
AC874   YUL-CDG
AC876   YUL-LYS
AC878   YUL-NCE
AC880   YYZ-ZRH
AC882   YVR-ZRH
AC884   YUL-GVA
AC886   YYZ-VIE
AC888
AC890   YYZ-FCO
AC892   YUL-FCO
AC894   YYZ-MXP
AC896   YYZ-ATH
AC898   YUL-ATH


samuelx88 wrote:
Are there any chances that AC adds YVR-YQB this summer to compete with Air Transat on this new route? It would be a good route for a 2 weekly A220


AC does not currently plan to have any A220 based in YVR or YQB this summer... They don't even have a single A220 scheduled to either airport in the summer.


Thanks for this! 872 is no longer YYZ-FRA, that flight number has been used on the route for ages! I guess no plans to move any of the former Rouge European destinations to the mainline. With TS's A321LRs out of the picture, and the 78Ms not having the legs for most of them, we'll have to wait till 2022 to see what happens to BUD, ZAG, PRG, and others.

KrisYYZ
 
EdmFlyBoi
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Thomaas wrote:
I do wonder what is AC's plan for the secondary European destinations they used to serve through Rouge. I can see them purchasing some second-hand A330s which they would configure in PY/Y at either mainline or rouge. Venice, Budapest, Warsaw and Glasgow certainly still have a place in the network absent of 767s.


That question depends entirely on what happens with traffic to Europe when vaccinations are widely distributed. Vienna can likely support mainline as it was a 789 most recently. Glasgow can be flown by a Max. Budapest and Warsaw would be questionable at mainline and may not return until summer 2023 at the earliest.

AC has added 8 A330's (now 16 total) that will all be refurbished prior to introduction, and it would be anticipated that they be put on a number of former Rouge routes in combination with the 8 788's. It would be surprising if AC looked to add further to the fleet at this time.

Neither Canada or Europe are doing especially well with the pace of vaccinations, although Canada is improving. Canada Europe travel may be a while before it is anywhere close to pre-COVID levels.
 
jmt18325
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:12 am

Canada will be done vaccinating adults by mid July. That means things should improve by the early fall.
 
jumbojettony
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 am

jmt18325 wrote:
Canada will be done vaccinating adults by mid July. That means things should improve by the early fall.


Highly doubt that considering still a lot of adults to do in quebec and we are forced to wait 4 months between the first and second dose compared to other provinces.
 
ramprat320
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:11 am

Canadian adults are forecast to all (all that want it) have their “first” dose by end of July. The last second doses will be 2-4 months after that.
 
ExMilitaryEng
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:42 pm

jumbojettony wrote:
Highly doubt that considering still a lot of adults to do in quebec and we are forced to wait 4 months between the first and second dose compared to other provinces.

Interresting you name Quebec here, as it's the leading province in Canada in terms of % of residents having received it's first vaccin. (Something like 33% versus 30% for the next "best" one, Ontario as of yesterday).

About the spread between the first and the second dose, we're pretty much in the same boat accross Canada. Quebec was very smart to be the first one to delay the second dose in order to vaccin as many residents as possible.
 
jumbojettony
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:22 pm

ExMilitaryEng wrote:
jumbojettony wrote:
Highly doubt that considering still a lot of adults to do in quebec and we are forced to wait 4 months between the first and second dose compared to other provinces.

Interresting you name Quebec here, as it's the leading province in Canada in terms of % of residents having received it's first vaccin. (Something like 33% versus 30% for the next "best" one, Ontario as of yesterday).

About the spread between the first and the second dose, we're pretty much in the same boat accross Canada. Quebec was very smart to be the first one to delay the second dose in order to vaccin as many residents as possible.


Ah ok didn't know if all the other provinces were doing the same. I personally don't see air travel picking up before the second dose is given to a majority of the population but that is just my opinion. So depending on other countries, I can see it picking up more towards the end of the year but would be nice to be wrong
 
777luver
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:55 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
Canadian adults are forecast to all (all that want it) have their “first” dose by end of July. The last second doses will be 2-4 months after that.


Trudeau is still pushing that September date but he says it could be earlier, the vaccine deliveries are set to really ramp up but I'm super skeptical.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Until the government axes the mandatory hotel quarantine, travel is not coming back, at all. A two week quarantine is difficult enough for many people to manage. But, a per person extra cost of $1000-2000 kills all possibility of a comeback.

I thought it was mostly to prevent spring break travel, but now with the new variants, it’s become very popular with voters, and I expect it to continue for quite some time. So, popular with voters, but fatal for the aviation industry.

Maybe, after all those who want their full vaccination have it, the government will drop it. And yeah… I don’t expect that until September, at the soonest.
 
LC1002368
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:36 pm

What's going on with the mainline 319s? AC's FY2020 report shows the fleet going from 16 to 6 fins over the course of 2021. I thought mainline 319s were retired by now. I see they're all parked/stored for now.
 
777luver
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:56 pm

LC1002368 wrote:
What's going on with the mainline 319s? AC's FY2020 report shows the fleet going from 16 to 6 fins over the course of 2021. I thought mainline 319s were retired by now. I see they're all parked/stored for now.


They are all retired. They have just 2 remaining for Jetz if I'm not mistaken
 
YYZYYT
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:19 pm

alexdelzotto wrote:
SwissCanuck wrote:
No more YYZ tag-on for GVA?


That had stopped right before Covid hit, March 2020.

Anyway most pax originated in YUL.


awwwwww, that was my favourite flight when doing YYZ-YUL day trips for work - it was well timed and always a widebody
 
LJ35
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:08 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 pm

Air Canada has 4 A-319's in service with Jetz up from 3 a year ago and they're not going anywhere soon. I've worked all 4 birds this hockey season.
 
alexdelzotto
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 12:05 am

YYZYYT wrote:
alexdelzotto wrote:
SwissCanuck wrote:
No more YYZ tag-on for GVA?


That had stopped right before Covid hit, March 2020.

Anyway most pax originated in YUL.


awwwwww, that was my favourite flight when doing YYZ-YUL day trips for work - it was well timed and always a widebody


AC834 YYZ-YUL will operate as AC422 A333. AC loves to rotate the 330's on the Rapidairs.
 
runway23
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 am

AC has dumped a few more routes this summer from YUL: ALG, KEF, LYS, BCN, NRT. Reduced frequencies on all other routes and pushed restarting many of them to beginning of July instead of mid-June.
 
Aircellist
Posts: 1682
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm

Where can we find infos on that recent cutback?
 
Dominion301
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun May 02, 2021 3:21 am

North3270 wrote:
Looks like AC has quietly loaded this as well to compete with WS YYZ-YQQ.

YYZ-YCD 2x via 223 eff. 03JULY.


That’ll be the first ever mainline service to YCD. Pre-pandemic the route ran in summer 2018 I think 3-4 weekly with Rouge 319s. I think it was only weekly in summer 2019 due to the MAX grounding causing fleet shortages.

Everyone seems to want BC transcons this summer in the hopes of stimulating leisure, including all the new low frequency routes, not just AC, but WS & F8 too.
 
jmt18325
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 03, 2021 2:13 am

ramprat320 wrote:
Canadian adults are forecast to all (all that want it) have their “first” dose by end of July. The last second doses will be 2-4 months after that.



Sorry, but that's just not correct based on current supply. https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1388 ... 72292?s=20
 
Cessnapimp
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 11:46 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 am

Aircellist wrote:
Where can we find infos on that recent cutback?


I am not sure how often this section is kept up to date but here is the "where we fly" section of the website with current routes in May and plans for June and July:

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/hom ... our_routes
 
CJMAviation
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 am

Dominion301 wrote:
North3270 wrote:
Looks like AC has quietly loaded this as well to compete with WS YYZ-YQQ.

YYZ-YCD 2x via 223 eff. 03JULY.


That’ll be the first ever mainline service to YCD. Pre-pandemic the route ran in summer 2018 I think 3-4 weekly with Rouge 319s. I think it was only weekly in summer 2019 due to the MAX grounding causing fleet shortages.

Everyone seems to want BC transcons this summer in the hopes of stimulating leisure, including all the new low frequency routes, not just AC, but WS & F8 too.


This will be the second time mainline has been at YCD. For a very brief stint in June 2020, the A319 fleet operated YVR-YCD on a morning turn. This was due to the onboard social distancing and the Q400 being a tad too small to meet the demand. And the A319s also operated the YVR-YCD-YXJ charter for a brief stint at the tail end of summer into the fall. Rouge A319s operated YYZ-YCD 4 Weekly in Summer 2018, 5 Weekly in Summer 2019 and were slated to go daily for 2020.

Also looks as though YYZ-YCD has been increased to 5*Weekly at peak summer season. Great to see all the expansion (or resumptions) from BC's Secondary/Tertiary airports with direct links to the eastern provinces slated for start this summer.
 
User avatar
Citrus1492
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 2:35 am

Anybody know if AC Transit is still going to be a thing going forward?
Without feed to YYZ from small/medium/large US markets, I dont see AC being a player in international travel from the USA.
 
777luver
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 2:37 am

Citrus1492 wrote:
Anybody know if AC Transit is still going to be a thing going forward?
Without feed to YYZ from small/medium/large US markets, I dont see AC being a player in international travel from the USA.


I don't see why it wouldn't be built back up

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos