Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
 
User avatar
Citrus1492
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 2:45 am

777luver wrote:
Citrus1492 wrote:
Anybody know if AC Transit is still going to be a thing going forward?
Without feed to YYZ from small/medium/large US markets, I dont see AC being a player in international travel from the USA.


I don't see why it wouldn't be built back up

Air Georgian ruled that roost. Now what?
Be the best
 
9252fly
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 3:22 am

Citrus1492 wrote:
777luver wrote:
Citrus1492 wrote:
Anybody know if AC Transit is still going to be a thing going forward?
Without feed to YYZ from small/medium/large US markets, I dont see AC being a player in international travel from the USA.


I don't see why it wouldn't be built back up

Air Georgian ruled that roost. Now what?

Jazz is now AC sole CPA provider with 35 CR9s, 25 E75s, 44 DH4s and 15 CRJs, I'll leave it out the 20 DH3s which are planned to be removed later this year. Somehow I think they will figure it out.
 
User avatar
Citrus1492
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 am

9252fly wrote:
Citrus1492 wrote:
777luver wrote:

I don't see why it wouldn't be built back up

Air Georgian ruled that roost. Now what?

Jazz is now AC sole CPA provider with 35 CR9s, 25 E75s, 44 DH4s and 15 CRJs, I'll leave it out the 20 DH3s which are planned to be removed later this year. Somehow I think they will figure it out.

Not enough frames to serve domestic Canada and replace the Air Georgian feed from the USA to restart AC Transit.
Be the best
 
777luver
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 am

Citrus1492 wrote:
9252fly wrote:
Citrus1492 wrote:
Air Georgian ruled that roost. Now what?

Jazz is now AC sole CPA provider with 35 CR9s, 25 E75s, 44 DH4s and 15 CRJs, I'll leave it out the 20 DH3s which are planned to be removed later this year. Somehow I think they will figure it out.

Not enough frames to serve domestic Canada and replace the Air Georgian feed from the USA to restart AC Transit.


Not enough according to who? As the above poster said, they'll figure it out. The airline has a plan. There's a reduction in fleet, but they still have the planes from Air Georgian and Skyregional, just under the Jazz brand. So they still have a large number of airplanes, how is that not enough? Lol
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 21983
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm

Keep political comments to nonAv
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.
 
346fetish
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 2:43 pm

AC is now mulling the A321LR as per their release on Friday. Do you guys see the airline getting the LR or waiting for the XLR? How fast can one get an LR/XLR now? I believe there was quite the lineup for those pre-COVID.
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."
 
Airontario
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Citrus1492 wrote:
9252fly wrote:
Citrus1492 wrote:
Air Georgian ruled that roost. Now what?

Jazz is now AC sole CPA provider with 35 CR9s, 25 E75s, 44 DH4s and 15 CRJs, I'll leave it out the 20 DH3s which are planned to be removed later this year. Somehow I think they will figure it out.

Not enough frames to serve domestic Canada and replace the Air Georgian feed from the USA to restart AC Transit.


Just to note, in the few months between the transfer of Georgian flying to Jazz and the Covid-19 related travel cuts, there was barely, if any reduction in trans-border flying. Almost all the ex-Georgian planes (and pilots for that matter) are now at Jazz. The same goes for the transfer of Sky Regional flying that is underway currently. Once border restrictions are lifted, there's no reason that AC won't restart their full US network.

A quick look at the publicly available schedule AC has posted on their website shows ATL, BOS, CLE, CMH, DEN, DTW, IAD, IAH, LGA, PHL and PIT returning as AC Express/Jazz flights, plus LAX and SFO on mainline AC. All these flights are returning between June 1st and July 1st. Considering the Canadian border is still closed to non-essential and non-resident travel, it's safe to say AC is targeting the US to Europe market that is sure to be opening up this summer.
 
beechnut
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 3:28 pm

346fetish wrote:
AC is now mulling the A321LR as per their release on Friday. Do you guys see the airline getting the LR or waiting for the XLR? How fast can one get an LR/XLR now? I believe there was quite the lineup for those pre-COVID.


I don’t see them getting anything until we’re out of this crisis, beyond filling the remaining A220 and MAX 8 orders.

By then the XLR might be available. It could potentially be a mix of LR/XLR depending on cost vs needs. Does the XLR’s extra fuel tank cut cargo capacity? If so the LR may be adequate for thinner Eastern Canada to Western Europe routes as well as northern South America.

Either way I’d say either one version or the other is likely to enter the fleet eventually. Time will tell.

Beech
 
hollywoodcory
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 1:27 pm

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021-05 ... -Vancouver

AC expanding their Hawaii presence this coming winter with several new routes, all starting in December:

YYZ-OGG
YUL-HNL
YYC-HNL

I like how the MAX is listed in the release as a "Boeing 737".
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Also YYZ - HNL
 
hollywoodcory
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm

YYZ-HNL isn't new. They've been flying it in the winter for a while. I think it was flown on a 789 in Winter 2019/2020?
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 3:58 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
I like how the MAX is listed in the release as a "Boeing 737".


Likely because internally in Air Canada, that’s what it is .... a Boeing 737.

They are not publicly shying away from the MAX name. It’s still on the side of the aircraft, in fleet lists, on safety cards, etc.

But, it’s been more than 20 years since Air Canada has flown any other version of the 737 so there is no need to use the MAX name to differentiate it from other 737 versions.
If you respond with a two page answer, obviously pre-prepared, I’m not going to bother reading it. Odds are, no one else is either!
 
hollywoodcory
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 4:07 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
I like how the MAX is listed in the release as a "Boeing 737".


Likely because internally in Air Canada, that’s what it is .... a Boeing 737.

They are not publicly shying away from the MAX name. It’s still on the side of the aircraft, in fleet lists, on safety cards, etc.

But, it’s been more than 20 years since Air Canada has flown any other version of the 737 so there is no need to use the MAX name to differentiate it from other 737 versions.


I meant that as they wrote out "Boeing 787 Dreamliner" in full but only wrote "Boeing 737" for the MAX, but that does make sense as they don't fly any other types of 737.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
YYZ-HNL isn't new. They've been flying it in the winter for a while. I think it was flown on a 789 in Winter 2019/2020?


YYZ-HNL started using a Rouge 763 in 2014. I think at some point it switched to an AC 789.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 am

Sad, all of this, when the best AC can do with a B787 is send it on an 11h30 flight from YUL to a sun destination.

I (and I'm sure AC as well), would rather they resume YUL-NRT/GRU instead of starting a route like this.

Don't expect this route to stick around once travel to Asia/South America bounces back again.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
casperCA
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu May 13, 2021 7:36 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Sad, all of this, when the best AC can do with a B787 is send it on an 11h30 flight from YUL to a sun destination.

I (and I'm sure AC as well), would rather they resume YUL-NRT/GRU instead of starting a route like this.

Don't expect this route to stick around once travel to Asia/South America bounces back again.


Well in their press release they are listing Brussels and Frankfurt as having good connections to the flight. For this twice a week a week service does anyone expect there to be any market at all for Belgium-Hawaii or Germany-Hawaii.

Perhaps there is an air cargo market they is helping pay the bills on this flight?
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri May 14, 2021 12:46 pm

Obviously the route targets local and regional O&D before European connections. That much is obvious. I guess it can't hurt having some tiny bit of European connections tagging onto the flight. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Every bit helps.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
hollywoodcory
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri May 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Also looks like they've moved a wack of Rouge routes over to mainline for the winter. YYC-LAS is now on a 7M8, YVR-LAS a CR9. There are days when YYZ-CUN shows a 77W.

Mainline widebodies are currently scheduled on CUN, MBJ, PUJ, BGI, FLL, MCO, SJO (at least from YYZ) and in some cases several times a day.
 
346fetish
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Also looks like they've moved a wack of Rouge routes over to mainline for the winter. YYC-LAS is now on a 7M8, YVR-LAS a CR9. There are days when YYZ-CUN shows a 77W.

Mainline widebodies are currently scheduled on CUN, MBJ, PUJ, BGI, FLL, MCO, SJO (at least from YYZ) and in some cases several times a day.


Yeah I see AC using those mainline wides to backfill the Rouge capacity loss from 763 retirement for this winter. I don't see markets like YVR-MEL/BNE/AKL/TPE, YUL-PVG/GRU/LYS, YYZ-BOM coming back this winter. They have more than enough wides to fly to SUN.
"BA have got waterfalls in their head office. The only time we have waterfalls in the Ryanair office is when the toilet leaks."
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 pm

asuflyer wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
YYZ-HNL isn't new. They've been flying it in the winter for a while. I think it was flown on a 789 in Winter 2019/2020?


YYZ-HNL started using a Rouge 763 in 2014. I think at some point it switched to an AC 789.


The B789 was started winter 2019 season.
 
avi8
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu May 27, 2021 3:35 pm

I have a quick question: what's the status of the Canadian aviation industry? Is travel between provinces in Canada still restricted? On a side note, I have not seen a significant amount of MAX flying, maybe 2 or 3 in the air at the same time, and many doing just one roundtrip per day. I've also seen A320s in the air, I thought those were supposed to be gone by now.


Hope the aviation industry in Canada rebounds like the one in the US!
avi8
 
dr1980
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:55 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu May 27, 2021 4:06 pm

It varies from Province to Province. In most (all?) cases non-essential travel is not recommended, in some cases non-essential is prohibited (denied entry).

Generally speaking the Canadian airline industry is still in tatters compared to the early US recovery. As provinces release re-opening plans though the restrictions should start to ease over the summer and some airline recovery will start to happen.
Dave/CYHZ
 
airnorth
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri May 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Travel restrictions are mostly lifted to travel to the Yukon for Canadian residents as long as they can prove that they are vaccinated.
The radio reports that Air North has seen a 30% increase in bookings since that announcement, though I cannot find a link to verify that right now.....
https://yukon.ca/en/handout-information ... ring-yukon
 
billsalton92
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 pm

avi8 wrote:
I have a quick question: what's the status of the Canadian aviation industry? Is travel between provinces in Canada still restricted? On a side note, I have not seen a significant amount of MAX flying, maybe 2 or 3 in the air at the same time, and many doing just one roundtrip per day. I've also seen A320s in the air, I thought those were supposed to be gone by now.


Hope the aviation industry in Canada rebounds like the one in the US!


The Airbus narrowbody fleet is assisting the MAX and A220 flying, but that will pick up. The 320s are gradually coming back out of temporary storage in preparation for return to service. Fins 232 and up are remaining in the fleet for a long time still, plus the 4 JETZ A319s. As for the 321s, I was told they are very well liked and most, if not all, will remain for many more years. Rumor was a few were return to lessor including the Star Alliance livery A321, but there hasn't been any official word of those particular aircraft.
 
krisyyz
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:04 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat May 29, 2021 3:34 pm

According to a Hungarian aviation blog, AC will restart the former RV YYZ-BUD flights starting in May of 2022 with A333s. Quite the upgrade from the RV B763s!

https://budflyer.blog.hu/2021/05/09/vis ... air_canada

KrisYYZ
 
crosscheckyyz
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:50 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat May 29, 2021 4:31 pm

Quite the premium upgrade for sure! 282 (RV 763) vs 297 (AC 333). Hopefully the J demand will be slightly better than when WAW was switched over to mainline 763. But an upgrade for the pax experience which is great to see.

krisyyz wrote:
According to a Hungarian aviation blog, AC will restart the former RV YYZ-BUD flights starting in May of 2022 with A333s. Quite the upgrade from the RV B763s!

https://budflyer.blog.hu/2021/05/09/vis ... air_canada

KrisYYZ
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:32 am

Canadian Crown vested Air Canada is to begin flying to Rome . Air Canada says it will begin operating COVID-19-tested flights to Rome, Italy, next month as the first Canadian carrier allowing travel to the country without the need for quarantine on arrival.


According to an update on the airline’s website, the flights will begin on July 2 and will be government-approved.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7919671/air- ... taly-rome/

Some good news in Canadian aviation.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:46 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
Canadian Crown vested Air Canada is to begin flying to Rome . Air Canada says it will begin operating COVID-19-tested flights to Rome, Italy, next month as the first Canadian carrier allowing travel to the country without the need for quarantine on arrival.


According to an update on the airline’s website, the flights will begin on July 2 and will be government-approved.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7919671/air- ... taly-rome/

Some good news in Canadian aviation.

So, Italy gives AC permission to do this. That's nice. It's a baby step in a positive direction.

We'll see if the Canadian hotel quarantine has been lifted by July. One can always hope. If not, returning to spend thousands of dollars on GAA hotels, plus a minimum two weeks quarantine, is rather a disincentive to leaving Canada.
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:05 am

It would appear employees are raising a strife with executives and their glut . It appears several executives have been flouting pandemic restrictions .https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1904812611786

In addition to the already controversial executive bonuses while negotiating a COVID-19 support package with the Canadian federal government, refusing to honour customer refunds and laying off thousands of staff. https://globalnews.ca/news/7918875/air- ... -pandemic/

Lets hope this is just a wrinkle in time .
 
airman99o
Posts: 919
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 1999 4:15 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Greed at the top. Mind blowing they have all those employees in layoff. Shuttered skyregional and put 1000+ people out of work. FAs got the boot. The Pilots were fortunate enough to get on with Jazz. They saved a bit of money there...... to beg for money from the government and then to say the higher ups needed this money for their tiring work during covid. What about the front line employees that have been dealing with the covid crap first hand?????? ... what a crock of S+×÷. They should be ordered to pay every dime of that back. Or donate to charity. Then shown the door.
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.
 
Thomaas
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Not great optics to have executives paid bonuses when you had major losses, got low-interest government loans, and laid off half your staff instead of keeping them on payroll with government support like other Canadian airlines have.
 
ramprat320
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm

The optics are very bad publicly. However while I’m not defending it one must keep in mind that executives are like any other employee in that they have employment contracts that must be honoured. My employee group has a contract which includes various remuneration components including profit sharing etc. I don’t think any employee would be too pleased if a contractual payment/bonus/etc. was arbitrarily not paid because some members of the public didn’t think it was fair. Kudos to the executives for negotiating such a contract for themselves. One can easily argue that had certain decisions not been made by the executive team that the required lay-offs would have been far greater than they have been and the future of the company even more bleak. Not withstanding the salaries that they voluntarily forwent I agree that receiving a large bonus such as this looks bad during a time like this but...
 
Skywatcher
Posts: 956
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm surprised that there wasn't a section in the government loan agreement that prevented something like this. I suspect there is more to this story than some simplistic media release covered. We all know what an easy story the "bash Air Canada" story always is. I'd love to see one of these media guys try to run an airline.
 
Thomaas
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:36 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
The optics are very bad publicly. However while I’m not defending it one must keep in mind that executives are like any other employee in that they have employment contracts that must be honoured. My employee group has a contract which includes various remuneration components including profit sharing etc. I don’t think any employee would be too pleased if a contractual payment/bonus/etc. was arbitrarily not paid because some members of the public didn’t think it was fair. Kudos to the executives for negotiating such a contract for themselves. One can easily argue that had certain decisions not been made by the executive team that the required lay-offs would have been far greater than they have been and the future of the company even more bleak. Not withstanding the salaries that they voluntarily forwent I agree that receiving a large bonus such as this looks bad during a time like this but...


Except OTP, there's no realistic current metric that would have warranted executive compensation. And if executive compensation was tied to OTP at AC, pre-pandemic they would've had empty pockets given that Air Canada is one of the most chronically delayed airlines in North America.
 
hollywoodcory
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:29 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:45 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I'm surprised that there wasn't a section in the government loan agreement that prevented something like this. I suspect there is more to this story than some simplistic media release covered. We all know what an easy story the "bash Air Canada" story always is. I'd love to see one of these media guys try to run an airline.


I think there was, something like limiting executive pay to a max of $1 million until a few months after the loans have been repaid. (I could be wrong though).

The bonuses in question were paid in late 2020 while the airline was still negotiating the government aid.
 
777luver
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I'm surprised that there wasn't a section in the government loan agreement that prevented something like this. I suspect there is more to this story than some simplistic media release covered. We all know what an easy story the "bash Air Canada" story always is. I'd love to see one of these media guys try to run an airline.


I agree 1000%. Of course the media will never present true facs when it comes to AC which is proven time and time again even when they are told otherwise
 
ramprat320
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Yes there is more to the story as always. Apparently 9 of the 10 million were paid out to 900 Management level Employees to recognize their extraordinary efforts, leadership and overtime hours during the crisis.
 
Thomaas
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:14 pm

777luver wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
I'm surprised that there wasn't a section in the government loan agreement that prevented something like this. I suspect there is more to this story than some simplistic media release covered. We all know what an easy story the "bash Air Canada" story always is. I'd love to see one of these media guys try to run an airline.


I agree 1000%. Of course the media will never present true facs when it comes to AC which is proven time and time again even when they are told otherwise


Which alternative facts would you like to present to justify those bonuses while half the staff was laid off while other airlines used available government funding to keep employees on payroll ?
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:06 am

and just like that…

Air Canada’s senior executives to return 2020 bonuses over ‘public disappointment’

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... er-public/

Well played.
 
casperCA
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
and just like that…

Air Canada’s senior executives to return 2020 bonuses over ‘public disappointment’

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... er-public/

Well played.


Damage control. They should have know better. It is good to see that they did recognize the problem and ended up taking action especially given it occurred over a weekend.
 
777luver
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:33 pm

Thomaas wrote:
777luver wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
I'm surprised that there wasn't a section in the government loan agreement that prevented something like this. I suspect there is more to this story than some simplistic media release covered. We all know what an easy story the "bash Air Canada" story always is. I'd love to see one of these media guys try to run an airline.


I agree 1000%. Of course the media will never present true facs when it comes to AC which is proven time and time again even when they are told otherwise


Which alternative facts would you like to present to justify those bonuses while half the staff was laid off while other airlines used available government funding to keep employees on payroll ?


Read one post above your last post.........
 
777luver
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
Yes there is more to the story as always. Apparently 9 of the 10 million were paid out to 900 Management level Employees to recognize their extraordinary efforts, leadership and overtime hours during the crisis.


Which isn't widely reported of course
 
777luver
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:58 pm

Thomaas wrote:
777luver wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
I'm surprised that there wasn't a section in the government loan agreement that prevented something like this. I suspect there is more to this story than some simplistic media release covered. We all know what an easy story the "bash Air Canada" story always is. I'd love to see one of these media guys try to run an airline.


I agree 1000%. Of course the media will never present true facs when it comes to AC which is proven time and time again even when they are told otherwise


Which alternative facts would you like to present to justify those bonuses while half the staff was laid off while other airlines used available government funding to keep employees on payroll ?


Do you really think an airline would survive with ZERO govt aid for a year while employing 37000 people? Come on get real. I rest my case
 
777luver
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm

casperCA wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:
and just like that…

Air Canada’s senior executives to return 2020 bonuses over ‘public disappointment’

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... er-public/

Well played.


Damage control. They should have know better. It is good to see that they did recognize the problem and ended up taking action especially given it occurred over a weekend.


It's bad optics but considering 900 managers got $9 million it's not as bad as "execs get a $10 million bonus". The media is spinning it in a different way of course
 
runway23
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:11 pm

The media need to calm down and be put back into place.

Most of the bonus was intended for middle managers (which it seems they are still getting, but the media has only focused on top management). I don't work for AC but I do think it's a good idea to give something back in an attempt to try to keep your employees happy and keep your best talent.

This weekend CBC also had a news story on 3 senior AC execs traveling abroad on their vacation time. I really wonder what those types of stories add - people were never banned from going abroad (especially 2 of those execs got vaccinations in the US). It seems as though any way to bash AC is perfectly acceptable now, especially when you attack what people do during their time off.
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:44 pm

runway23 wrote:
The media need to calm down and be put back into place.

Most of the bonus was intended for middle managers (which it seems they are still getting, but the media has only focused on top management). I don't work for AC but I do think it's a good idea to give something back in an attempt to try to keep your employees happy and keep your best talent.

This weekend CBC also had a news story on 3 senior AC execs traveling abroad on their vacation time. I really wonder what those types of stories add - people were never banned from going abroad (especially 2 of those execs got vaccinations in the US). It seems as though any way to bash AC is perfectly acceptable now, especially when you attack what people do during their time off.


Couple things for thought.

This is a first-class chutzpah.This deed is basically a master class in either misreading or not caring how such pocket-stuffing would look to average Canadians who have endured a year of death, sickness, job loss and heartache.

The two thoughts that stick to my mind :1) The oft-repeated notion that “we’re all in this together” during the COVID-19 crisis is one of the larger lies of contemporary times.

2) It is not for nothing that pride and greed usually head the list of humanity’s seven deadly sins.

The payouts were made even as they laid off tens of thousands and successfully lobbied the federal government for $5.9 billion in aid, all the while also tapping into the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program to the tune of about $656 million.

Also, Canada’s health authority made it perfectly clear non essential travel is to be avoided in order to help contain the virus in Canada, anyone in any role of authority should and ought to lead by example. Period.
 
runway23
Posts: 2387
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:03 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:

This is a first-class chutzpah.This deed is basically a master class in either misreading or not caring how such pocket-stuffing would look to average Canadians who have endured a year of death, sickness, job loss and heartache.


Is it too hard to write in English rather than use foreign slang ? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here - if it's against what I wrote or AC's greed.

The average Canadian has been through a lot, no question about it. However, thanks to outlandish spending (CERB), the "average Canadian" is probably just as well off as before. Many didn't have to work for months or were paid more than when they were employed. Others have found a new path and career.

cirrusdragoon wrote:
Also, Canada’s health authority made it perfectly clear non essential travel is to be avoided in order to help contain the virus in Canada, anyone in any role of authority should and ought to lead by example. Period.


It still wasn't illegal though. The same was requested in that people not travel from one province to another. Many did and they aren't been pointed by the media.

I'm pretty sure if you go to most of the major Canadian corporations you'll find that many senior managers have traveled outside the country since March last year. That 3 AC managers traveled abroad (of which 2 are American) is hardly worthy of a 2-3 minute news broadcast.

Besides, those who travelled abroad have had to quarantine for at least two weeks, that in itself reduces the risk of bringing in infection and is indeed confirmed by the very low % of positive travellers entering the country. Community spread is the main vector yet the press turns a blind eye to it.

cirrusdragoon wrote:
The payouts were made even as they laid off tens of thousands and successfully lobbied the federal government for $5.9 billion in aid, all the while also tapping into the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program to the tune of about $656 million.


Most of those were in fact given out after AC had laid off thousands. I don't think you can blame AC for using the Emergency Wage Subsidy at the beginning of Covid when most people thought it would be gone by Summer/Fall. Certainly the industry wasn't prepared or expecting snowbird travel to be close to zero.
 
User avatar
Aresxerexade
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:42 am

runway23 wrote:
Besides, those who travelled abroad have had to quarantine for at least two weeks, that in itself reduces the risk of bringing in infection and is indeed confirmed by the very low % of positive travellers entering the country. Community spread is the main vector yet the press turns a blind eye to it.


According to the Lancet UK study, having stringent travel prohibitions would have helped prevent exponential case loads as what was seen in Canada earlier on.

“ Stringent travel restrictions might have [had an] impact on epidemic dynamics…in countries with low COVID-19 incidence and large numbers of arrivals from other countries, or where epidemics are close to tipping points for exponential growth.”

Every factor counts, every human doing their part. The spread of the variants around the world would have certainly been mitigated better had people adhered to travel restrictions more uniformly. It is pure arrogance by these Air Canada executives to go and take vaccines for themselves in other countries where these doses were for their own local population , not vaccine tourists. No excuses , rubbish and pure selfishness. When one works in an executive role for any organization, ethics is always at play and scrutiny is to be expected from the public.
 
OlympicATH
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 8:43 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Just noticed that ATH has gone year-round from both YYZ and YUL with 3 and 2 weekly respectively (both 789). Not sure if this was discussed before.
Was this expected? I find this quite surprising given BCN and TLV (from YUL) are still seasonal.
I suppose AC has good visibility on demand from the Lufthansa JV.
 
idjim319
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:52 am

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:05 pm

Moving past the executive pay issue, I have some questions. What is AC going to realistically fly this summer? There are two networks at play -- Air Canada Mainline and Rouge. Given Rouge was allowing AC to grow hugely into secondary markets, what does AC plan to do without the 767s. For example, Berlin, Prague, and Budepest seem essential destinations for an airline like AC trying to be another global airline, drawing from US customers.

Is there any chance of those 767s being brought back for awhile. There must be more A333 or even A332 available at attractive prices. The fleet commonality is there.

AC needs a plane to serve routes that don't require the signature cabin. I flew Rouge NCE-YUL and it was exactly right for my vacation. I don't see may people paying full J on that same route.

Thoughts??
  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos