Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WildcatYXU

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:34 pm

777luver wrote:
So do you expect any major airline to rebuild their entire domestic network within a month and a half? if so, it doesn't work that way in the real world

Well, agreed. It doesn't. Then why did you say that AC has already rebuilt it's domestic network?

Airlinerdude wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
Well, if the growth in traffic caught AC off guard, they didn't rebuild their domestic network yet.

Besides a handful of small recalls that happened during the spring, the bulk of cabin crew recalls only began on July 4th. They're now at full capacity getting cabin crew trained back up. Having watched the explosive rebound of the neighbours to south, it shocked me how terrible AC management were at planning summer manpower.

Let's hope they can speed up the process a bit. Also, let's hope there won't be another wave of Covid stopping travel (life) again.

AWNP

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 am

Airlinerdude wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
Well, if the growth in traffic caught AC off guard, they didn't rebuild their domestic network yet.

Besides a handful of small recalls that happened during the spring, the bulk of cabin crew recalls only began on July 4th. They're now at full capacity getting cabin crew trained back up. Having watched the explosive rebound of the neighbours to south, it shocked me how terrible AC management were at planning summer manpower.

I don't know if you can blame management, while the US recovered rapidly the Canadian government continually put constraints in place, and Canadians were much less willing to travel. There have been numerous false starts and this is the first time it's really improved. That being said it's not looking good for the fall with the 4th wave starting, and I think AC has way too much Transborder capacity. Having to shrink again is very painful and costly, hence why management has been very nervous about growing back too quickly. I hope I'm wrong.

777luver

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:01 pm

AWNP wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

I don't know if you can blame management, while the US recovered rapidly the Canadian government continually put constraints in place, and Canadians were much less willing to travel. There have been numerous false starts and this is the first time it's really improved. That being said it's not looking good for the fall with the 4th wave starting, and I think AC has way too much Transborder capacity. Having to shrink again is very painful and costly, hence why management has been very nervous about growing back too quickly. I hope I'm wrong.

Bingo.

777luver

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:

How could they possibly be expected to plan summer manpower if the govt kept extending restrictions? Cmon lets get real here. If you cant plan and prepare you cant do much at all, its a fine act that quite frankly no airline has gotten right.

Airlinerdude

Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:15 pm

AWNP wrote:
I don't know if you can blame management, while the US recovered rapidly the Canadian government continually put constraints in place, and Canadians were much less willing to travel. There have been numerous false starts and this is the first time it's really improved.

It is just my opinion, but it sure looks like AC management was acting far too conservatively with manpower prospects. Sometime around the beginning of June, it became very apparent that Canada would surpass the US/UK with vaccine uptake in the not too distant future. Both of those countries had experienced remarkable passenger growth as soon as restrictions eased. Yes - I understand that the unknown variable was when Canada would reopen its borders, but I'm doubtful that AC wasn't given advance notice ahead of the formal public announcement on July 19th. In any event, the trend was clear, and it just would have been good business sense to start readying manpower for the eventual influx of demand.

Bear in mind that while the first recall only happened on July 4th, training for these individuals only began on July 18th. From recall to flying is about a three week (or slightly longer) lead time. If they had begun recalls in early June, I think they'd be in a far more advantageous spot than they are currently.

Congrats to the 500+ recalled this morning.

ramprat320

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:00 pm

The Government of Canada continues to lag behind and handcuff the Canadian travel and tourism industry. Period.

QB737

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:21 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
The Government of Canada continues to lag behind and handcuff the Canadian travel and tourism industry. Period.

How so?

AWNP

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:43 pm

QB737 wrote:
ramprat320 wrote:

How so?

Will require all airline employees and passengers to be fully vaccinated by the end of October.

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said the government will require workers in federally regulated industries to be vaccinated no later than the end of October.

Travellers on commercial airlines, interprovincial trains and cruise ships will also be required to be vaccinated by that date.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... /#comments

IceCream

Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:51 pm

I really hope another wave doesn't slow travel down again. Hopefully, the vaccine passport will be a thing and actually allow travel to rebound.

9252fly

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 pm

ramprat320 wrote:

AC publicly announced they were supportive of the measures in respect to vaccination requirements.

codyul

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
Congrats to the 500+ recalled this morning.

Thx :D

ramprat320

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:52 pm

9252fly wrote:
ramprat320 wrote:

AC publicly announced they were supportive of the measures in respect to vaccination requirements.

Vaccination of everyone is a given necessity and long over due including in the transportation sector. Virtually every employee I now is already vaccinated. This announcement like so many others is long over due and in this case is little more than political posturing given the imminent election call.

Mandatory testing for unvaccinated passengers? ...this was being called for over a year ago.

cirrusdragoon

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:10 am

finally

yyztpa2

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:30 pm

ramprat320 wrote:
9252fly wrote:
ramprat320 wrote:

Vaccination of everyone is a given necessity and long over due including in the transportation sector. Virtually every employee I now is already vaccinated. This announcement like so many others is long over due and in this case is little more than political posturing given the imminent election call.

Mandatory testing for unvaccinated passengers? ...this was being called for over a year ago.

A year ago, there were no vaccinated passengers. A lot has changed.

tax1k

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:22 am

I’m hearing horror stories about connecting YUL passengers being subject to quarantine. That makes no sense to me but is anyone else hearing that?

crosscheckyyz

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:08 am

What kind of horror stories are you hearing?

GLANKG

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:47 am

AWNP wrote:
QB737 wrote:
ramprat320 wrote:

How so?

Will require all airline employees and passengers to be fully vaccinated by the end of October.

Surely that’s what the tourism industry has been calling for? And in Canada vaccine uptake is rather high.

tax1k

Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:05 pm

crosscheckyyz wrote:

That they are being told they have to quarantine before any connecting flight. Again, I think this is likely a myth but I need to travel from US to YYC and don’t want to take a risk. Connected in YYZ last week with no issue but YUL is sometimes it’s own set of considerations.

chrisa330

Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:10 pm

tax1k wrote:
I’m hearing horror stories about connecting YUL passengers being subject to quarantine. That makes no sense to me but is anyone else hearing that?

You need more information than that to determine the story. Before August 9, unvaccinated travelers needed to complete the hotel quarantine before taking their connecting domestic flight.

Transiting Canada between 2 different countries has always been allowed without requirements for quarantine/vaccines.

resting08

Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:43 pm

tax1k wrote:

Please don’t scare me like that. I have a connection at YUL in two weeks from LGA. I’m full vaxxed and I will sure to have a negative pcr test within 72 hours. I’m not doing all this so I’ll be force to quarantine.

flyyul

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:01 pm

tax1k wrote:
crosscheckyyz wrote:

That they are being told they have to quarantine before any connecting flight. Again, I think this is likely a myth but I need to travel from US to YYC and don’t want to take a risk. Connected in YYZ last week with no issue but YUL is sometimes it’s own set of considerations.

There are no quarantine provisions for transit via YUL. Not sure where you came up with this.

aerolimani

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:57 pm

flyyul wrote:
tax1k wrote:
crosscheckyyz wrote:

There are no quarantine provisions for transit via YUL. Not sure where you came up with this.

Everyone, including vaccinated travellers, is still required to have a quarantine plan in place when you arrive in Canada. Even vaccinated travellers must quarantine until they receive a negative result of their arrival test. Because positive results are still possible for vaccinated travellers, they must be prepared for a 14-day quarantine.

If a border officer decides that your quarantine plan isn't suitable, and you can't come up with a suitable one on the spot, they could force you into government quarantine facility at your point of arrival in Canada.

So, it is possible that one could be prevented from boarding a connecting flight.

Edit: to be clear, I'm speaking of passengers who wish to enter Canada, and not people transiting directly to a destination outside Canada.
Last edited by aerolimani on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DUSZRH

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm

tax1k wrote:
crosscheckyyz wrote:

If you’re required to quarantine in Canada this might happen on the entry already. If you’re vaccinated you’re exempt from the quarantine. (If you don’t test positive).

flyyul

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:11 pm

aerolimani wrote:
flyyul wrote:
tax1k wrote:

Everyone, including vaccinated travellers, is still required to have a quarantine plan in place when you arrive in Canada. Even vaccinated travellers must quarantine until they receive a negative result of their arrival test. Because positive results are still possible for vaccinated travellers, they must be prepared for a 14-day quarantine.

If a border officer decides that your quarantine plan isn't suitable, and you can't come up with a suitable one on the spot, they could force you into government quarantine facility at your point of arrival in Canada.

So, it is possible that one could be prevented from boarding a connecting flight.

Edit: to be clear, I'm speaking of passengers who wish to enter Canada, and not people transiting directly to a destination outside Canada.

That is incorrect. There is random testing upon arrival. There are no quarantine provisions for fully vaxxed Canadians and AMericans.

aerolimani

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:16 pm

flyyul wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
flyyul wrote:

That is incorrect. There is random testing upon arrival. There are no quarantine provisions for fully vaxxed Canadians and AMericans.

Ugh. The government sites! One says everyone gets tested (including vaxxed), and another one says random testing for vaxxed folk. But, I believe you are correct, that it is randomized testing for fully vaxxed travellers. So then, I wonder. If you are selected for testing, do they expect you to have a quarantine plan in place, in case you test positive?

In any case, all the above (which I posted) would still apply to non-vaxxed travellers. It is possible they could be prevented from connecting to their final destination inside Canada, if a border officer doesn't approve their quarantine plan.

EWR777

AC 789 in EWR today (8.19.2021)

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Saw an AC 789 from YYZ to EWR and return back to YYZ today. Any idea why? Charter?

Pinto

Re: AC 789 in EWR today (8.19.2021)

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:24 pm

AC7313.
Most likely a cargo flight

EWR777

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:46 pm

Pinto wrote:
AC7313.

Went to Term B though

Polot

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:56 pm

EWR777 wrote:
Pinto wrote:
AC7313.

Went to Term B though

Covid cargo flights from passenger airlines still generally go to terminal. Makes it easier for crew and need somewhere with enough space to park the plane.

EWR777

Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:29 am

Polot wrote:
EWR777 wrote:
Pinto wrote:
AC7313.

Went to Term B though

Covid cargo flights from passenger airlines still generally go to terminal. Makes it easier for crew and need somewhere with enough space to park the plane.

Interesting thank you

asuflyer

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:09 am

Pre-Pandemic AC 789's were a common sight at EWR operating the flight to YVR. In fact the morning flight to YVR had also been upgauged to a 788 from a 319. I believe when the flight returns it will be on the 737MAX8.

jerseyewr777

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:57 am

It was a welcome sight today seeing an AC 789! Arrived in it's old livery! My son will post the arrival on his Instagram Saturday!! ewr_spotter_17

aemoreira1981

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:22 am

It could be for training. Pre-pandemic, the B788/B789 had replaced the A319 on YVR-EWR in a huge up-gauge. Now I expect either a MAX 8 or an A321.

jerseyewr777

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:39 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
It could be for training. Pre-pandemic, the B788/B789 had replaced the A319 on YVR-EWR in a huge up-gauge. Now I expect either a MAX 8 or an A321.

I believe AC was resuming YVR-EWR with the MAX 8 but recently pulled it down for September.

casperCA

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:34 am

jerseyewr777 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I believe AC was resuming YVR-EWR with the MAX 8 but recently pulled it down for September.

The few times I have been on the evening EWR-YVR there was always a good number of people connecting on to Australia. Not likely with the current COVID situation.

jerseyewr777

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:04 am

casperCA wrote:
jerseyewr777 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

The few times I have been on the evening EWR-YVR there was always a good number of people connecting on to Australia. Not likely with the current COVID situation.

EWR-YVR was performing so well PRE-COVID that they were planning double daily with a mix of 788/789 & the MAX 8!

positiverate

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:48 am

Are they coming back to Terminal A by JetBlue? Or moving over to co-locate closer to Star partners in B?

jerseyewr777

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:11 am

positiverate wrote:
Are they coming back to Terminal A by JetBlue? Or moving over to co-locate closer to Star partners in B?

They are moving to the new Terminal A when it opens.

casperCA

Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:32 am

positiverate wrote:

Air Canada has its own Maple Leaf lounge A. Not certain if it has opened up again. Other than being in an odd location it is actually a nice lounge.

Thomaas

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:14 pm

Routesonline is reporting that AC is switching its direct YYZ-MXP to YYZ-YUL-MXP. Makes little sense to me given that YYZ is much higher O&D, unlike the previous YYZ-YUL-GVA flight which relied on the ties between both cities to fill the flight.

Thenoflyzone

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:35 pm

Thomaas wrote:
Routesonline is reporting that AC is switching its direct YYZ-MXP to YYZ-YUL-MXP. Makes little sense to me given that YYZ is much higher O&D, unlike the previous YYZ-YUL-GVA flight which relied on the ties between both cities to fill the flight.

This one got me shaking my head as well, but if you dig deeper, with all the press releases and other tidbits available online, the answer is there.

When YYZ-MXP was launched back in 2014, AC intended to operate the route year round,as the press release from back then states.

Clearly, they were struggling on the route in winter, since the route operated mostly as a summer seasonal flight between 2015 and 2018. They tried reinstating winter service in 2018, based on the following link, but it probably had mixed results. Plus there was still no service for most of January and February.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... nd-in-w18/

Soon after COVID happened. So clearly AC struggled with YYZ-MXP on a year round basis. This might be their attempt at making the route work year round. After all, AC knows the numbers. There probably is a decent O&D (business or otherwise) from YUL to MXP, but the backtrack wasn't helping draw that crowd. YYZ-YUL-MXP might help in that regard.

rivervisual

Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:47 am

aerolimani wrote:
flyyul wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

Ugh. The government sites! One says everyone gets tested (including vaxxed), and another one says random testing for vaxxed folk. But, I believe you are correct, that it is randomized testing for fully vaxxed travellers. So then, I wonder. If you are selected for testing, do they expect you to have a quarantine plan in place, in case you test positive?

In any case, all the above (which I posted) would still apply to non-vaxxed travellers. It is possible they could be prevented from connecting to their final destination inside Canada, if a border officer doesn't approve their quarantine plan.

It is definitely confusing to understand but based on what happened to me I'm pretty comfortable traveling to Canada or through Canada as a fully vaccinated traveler.

We were selected for a random test on arrival and were asked to create an account with Switch Health and swabbed. They said to wait for results and if it was positive we would be contacted for quarantine. We had to provide a quarantine plan which consisted of telling them a hotel where we would stay if required.

That was it and we were free to go. We received the results 3 days later when we landed back in DC ....

danipawa

Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 am

Air Canada to fly Toronto-Santo Domingo route, pending gov approval. A321 two weekly starting December this year

777luver

Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:59 pm

AC to require all employees and new hires to be vaccinated by Oct 31st

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews ... id-19/amp/

aristoenigma

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:27 am

In the eighties up to 1986 was there a time that Air Canada 747s competed directly with CP Air 747s and DC-10s on Vancouver to/from Toronto domestic service? Sorry if dumb question. Also I recall in those same days stories of Wardair deadheading empty 747s from Vancouver to Toronto. Incredible that four engines would be used in that way. Times have changed.

krisyyz

Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:20 am

Is there any movement on re-activating the 77L fleet? I think the winter schedule has some 77L’s on LHR, HKG and SYD routes, but they are still at VCV with no movement that I could see on FR24. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t ever come back, especially if there is cargo conversation program launched for the LRs. With one 77W leaving the fleet, the increased A333 fleet, and the recent comments from AC about the flexibility of the 787s doing ULH routes, does AC even need the 77Ls? Perhaps they could be sold back to Boeing for some more 787s?

KrisYYZ

VCVSpotter

Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:44 am

krisyyz wrote:
Is there any movement on re-activating the 77L fleet? I think the winter schedule has some 77L’s on LHR, HKG and SYD routes, but they are still at VCV with no movement that I could see on FR24. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t ever come back, especially if there is cargo conversation program launched for the LRs. With one 77W leaving the fleet, the increased A333 fleet, and the recent comments from AC about the flexibility of the 787s doing ULH routes, does AC even need the 77Ls? Perhaps they could be sold back to Boeing for some more 787s?

KrisYYZ

Last time I went to VCV, they were all stored with no activity going on. Engines covered up, cockpit windows/instruments covered. Note, photos are from mid-July 2021.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSpEIGAlKaZ ... =copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTC3jNcF1US ... =copy_link

777luver

Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 am

krisyyz wrote:

KrisYYZ

AC is restarting YVR-SYD in Dec, obviously may not happen but point is its loaded with the 77L so I do think they will come back

777luver

Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:14 am

krisyyz wrote:

KrisYYZ

The A333s are for Europe

mach86

Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:25 am

krisyyz wrote:

KrisYYZ

Can you elaborate on the single 77W leaving the fleet? Hadn't heard this tidbit....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos