Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:32 pm

Welcome to the Air Canada News and Discussion Thread 2021. Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2020

codyul

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 pm

Just to piggy back off the last posts in the 2020 thread, I'm quietly confident that CalRov is working extremely hard.
I get the feeling that he has a big list that he wants to accomplish to strengthen his (already strong) legacy before Feb 16 (?), retirement. Transat, govt loans, refunds. I would bet that he is working hard, leveraging every bit of his influence to end his leadership with even more accomplishment.

Skywatcher

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:32 pm

codyul wrote:
Just to piggy back off the last posts in the 2020 thread, I'm quietly confident that CalRov is working extremely hard.
I get the feeling that he has a big list that he wants to accomplish to strengthen his (already strong) legacy before Feb 16 (?), retirement. Transat, govt loans, refunds. I would bet that he is working hard, leveraging every bit of his influence to end his leadership with even more accomplishment.

I agree. He seems to me to be one of the few epic business leaders in Canada right now. So many people harp on about how the 1%ers are self-indulgent bastards. That may be largely true but not many people have what it takes to be true leaders and would be crushed after one extremely stressful day in a position like Calvin's.

He earned every dime of his ridiculously high remuneration.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
codyul wrote:

I agree. He seems to me to be one of the few epic business leaders in Canada right now. So many people harp on about how the 1%ers are self-indulgent bastards. That may be largely true but not many people have what it takes to be true leaders and would be crushed after one extremely stressful day in a position like Calvin's.

I agree 100% with what you guys say. The naysayers who say CEOs don't deserve that kind of money and blah blah are ignorant of what it takes to be a CEO not only with business smarts, but also personality wise and mentally. Its not just a 9-5 job its a 24/7 365 and quite frankly, the CEOs and top executives run the company. The naysayers don't. They chose a different path. I believe also that some airline CEOs are under compensated in some ways especially with how volatile this business is. But hey, the naysayers know it all so they are right when they get mad at how much a CEO gets paid while ignoring everything else

He earned every dime of his ridiculously high remuneration.

He has. He's done an amazing job at AC and deserves his retirement rightfully so. He's extremely humble and in his videos updating the world on AC through the pandemic, you can see the decisions he's had to make weren't light and weighed heavily on him.

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Whoops I accidentally wrote a reply that got intertwined with someone else's quotes mods please delete both of my replies to the above posts

andrew1996

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:08 pm

I may be a little late but was the CEO's retirement planned before COVID-19? My impression when the news first broke out during COVID was that it was unexpected/unplanned until during COVID-19. I recall watching a Youtube video of himself on AC's official channel where he described the challenges and then said he will describe more in his next video and the week right after it was on the news he was retiring

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2020-133
See link above^ Was AC planing on flying regular services to SIN? It seems like they got approval during the pandemic to launch flights to SIN after applying to fly to SIN. I do know AC flies its 777 and A330 to SIN for maintenance etc and that's why once in a while on FiightRadar24 you see AC flying YVR-SIN or in the past it was also like HND-SIN etc. Intially I thought this application was to launch cargo services during SIN during COVID-19 but I don't think cargo flights to SIN were ever launched on AC metal either?

Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 pm

andrew1996 wrote:
I may be a little late but was the CEO's retirement planned before COVID-19? My impression when the news first broke out during COVID was that it was unexpected/unplanned until during COVID-19. I recall watching a Youtube video of himself on AC's official channel where he described the challenges and then said he will describe more in his next video and the week right after it was on the news he was retiring

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2020-133
See link above^ Was AC planing on flying regular services to SIN? It seems like they got approval during the pandemic to launch flights to SIN after applying to fly to SIN. I do know AC flies its 777 and A330 to SIN for maintenance etc and that's why once in a while on FiightRadar24 you see AC flying YVR-SIN or in the past it was also like HND-SIN etc. Intially I thought this application was to launch cargo services during SIN during COVID-19 but I don't think cargo flights to SIN were ever launched on AC metal either?

His retirement was planned for February of this year, it was until covid hit then he postponed his retirement to see AC through to "the other side" and make sure that it was set up for his predecessor to come in. He wanted to be be sure that he left AC in good shape for recovery. Michael Rousseau has been Deputy CEO for awhile, it'll be interesting. Esepcially with a new CEO and COO.

As for SIN, my thoughts are they might have taken a swing at it before covid hit as a part of their expansion but while it may have been a thought, it hasn't come to fruition yet. Would compliment UAs service

cirrusdragoon

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:22 pm

Air Canada has an amazing board of directors. The ceo is merely a puppet.

Vio

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:34 pm

I can't wait to see Air Canada (and the rest of the airlines) back on their feet. I may be biased, but I love my job and this industry. I've worked way too hard to get where I am. I'm sure the short term will have some pains, but we'll get back to some sort of normality soon. *Keeping fingers crossed*. As far as Mr. Rovinescu is concerned: I personally have nothing but admiration for him. I think he's built AC into a leading world carrier. It's also pretty cool that he's Romanian (born), just like me.

YULACYYZ

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:04 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:

Quite the puppet, Hey!

Before joining Air Canada, Rovinescu was the managing partner of Montreal law firm Stikeman Elliott LLP, and for over 20 years practiced in the areas of corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. While a lawyer at Stikeman Elliott LLP, Rovinescu served as lead external counsel on Air Canada's privatization and public offering in 1988 and continued advising the airline on significant transactions and events thereafter. He is a member of the Quebec and Ontario Bar Associations.

Rovinescu first joined Air Canada in 2000 as its Executive Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy and served as its Chief Restructuring Officer during its 2003–2004 restructuring. Between 2004 and returning to Air Canada in 2009, Rovinescu was a co-founder and principal of independent investment bank Genuity Capital Markets, which subsequently merged with Canaccord Capital to form Canaccord Genuity Group.

Rovinescu was elected chairman of the Star Alliance chief executive board, the controlling body of Star Alliance, the world's largest global airline alliance, and served in that role from 2012 to 2016. He has also been a member of the board of governors of the International Air Transport Association, a global trade association representing some 240 airlines since 2010. He served as chairman of IATA from June 2014 to June 2015.

He also serves on the board of directors of BCE Inc., Canada's largest telecom and media company as well as on the board of directors of the Business Council of Canada (BCC), an organization composed of the CEOs of Canada's largest enterprises, representing all sectors of the Canadian economy.

Rovinescu is broadly credited with having saved Air Canada from bankruptcy and having set it on a course for sustainable profitability, better labour relations and continued success. In the ten years following his appointment, Air Canada's shares had appreciated more than 4,000% and the airline had achieved record revenues, record profitability and carried a record number of passengers. Its common shares had the greatest share price appreciation of all companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange over the decade ended December 31, 2019. It has expanded dramatically and serves 220 destinations on all six inhabited continents. During his tenure, Air Canada was recognized by Skytrax as the Best Airline in North America in eight out of ten years, and as the only four star network carrier in North America. In addition, it won numerous other awards including Air Transport World's 2018 Eco Airline of the Year and is one of Canada's Top Employers.

The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine named Rovinescu Canada's best CEO of 2013 and again in 2019, the only two-time winner of this award. In addition, in 2016, he was named Canada's Outstanding CEO of the Year by Financial Post Magazine, the country's preeminent award for chief executives, founded in 1990 to identify and recognize exemplary leadership and achievement in business.

In 2018, Flight Global presented Rovinescu with the Global Executive Leadership Award at the 2018 Airline Strategy Awards in London, England, the airline industry’s leading recognition for CEOs of global carriers. He was recognized for his "strong and unwavering leadership of Air Canada."

Also in 2018, Rovinescu was recognized with the CEO lifetime achievement Award at the Airline Passenger Experience Association (APEX) expo in Boston, and named the first CEO from the Americas to be presented with the Award by APEX.

In 2019, Tourisme Montreal presented Rovinescu with their highest honour, the Tribute Award, for his contribution to the development of Montreal and the Conseil du Patronat inducted him into its Entrepreneurs’ Club, amongst the significant leaders of Quebec business. Also in December 2019, it was announced that he would be inducted as a Companion into the Canadian Business Hall of Fame.

On October 3, 2019, together with his wife Elaine, he announced the creation of the Rovinescu Admission Scholarships for new Canadians, to benefit students at both the University of Ottawa and Université de Montréal through a gift of $2M, to be divided equally between the two institutions. The Rovinescu Scholarships will provide first-generation Canadians or children of immigrants, with the opportunity to pursue a bachelor’s or professional degree designation at either university.

Since November 9, 2015, he was named 14th Chancellor of the University of Ottawa, replacing former Governor General Michaëlle Jean.

Rovinescu was appointed a member of the Order of Canada[29] for promoting the associated charitable causes and organizations of Canada's largest airline, and for his leadership in spearheading humanitarian relief following several natural disasters.

Happy retirement Mr. Rovinescu!

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:16 pm

YULACYYZ wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Quite the puppet, Hey!

Before joining Air Canada, Rovinescu was the managing partner of Montreal law firm Stikeman Elliott LLP, and for over 20 years practiced in the areas of corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. While a lawyer at Stikeman Elliott LLP, Rovinescu served as lead external counsel on Air Canada's privatization and public offering in 1988 and continued advising the airline on significant transactions and events thereafter. He is a member of the Quebec and Ontario Bar Associations.

Rovinescu first joined Air Canada in 2000 as its Executive Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy and served as its Chief Restructuring Officer during its 2003–2004 restructuring. Between 2004 and returning to Air Canada in 2009, Rovinescu was a co-founder and principal of independent investment bank Genuity Capital Markets, which subsequently merged with Canaccord Capital to form Canaccord Genuity Group.

Rovinescu was elected chairman of the Star Alliance chief executive board, the controlling body of Star Alliance, the world's largest global airline alliance, and served in that role from 2012 to 2016. He has also been a member of the board of governors of the International Air Transport Association, a global trade association representing some 240 airlines since 2010. He served as chairman of IATA from June 2014 to June 2015.

He also serves on the board of directors of BCE Inc., Canada's largest telecom and media company as well as on the board of directors of the Business Council of Canada (BCC), an organization composed of the CEOs of Canada's largest enterprises, representing all sectors of the Canadian economy.

Rovinescu is broadly credited with having saved Air Canada from bankruptcy and having set it on a course for sustainable profitability, better labour relations and continued success. In the ten years following his appointment, Air Canada's shares had appreciated more than 4,000% and the airline had achieved record revenues, record profitability and carried a record number of passengers. Its common shares had the greatest share price appreciation of all companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange over the decade ended December 31, 2019. It has expanded dramatically and serves 220 destinations on all six inhabited continents. During his tenure, Air Canada was recognized by Skytrax as the Best Airline in North America in eight out of ten years, and as the only four star network carrier in North America. In addition, it won numerous other awards including Air Transport World's 2018 Eco Airline of the Year and is one of Canada's Top Employers.

The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine named Rovinescu Canada's best CEO of 2013 and again in 2019, the only two-time winner of this award. In addition, in 2016, he was named Canada's Outstanding CEO of the Year by Financial Post Magazine, the country's preeminent award for chief executives, founded in 1990 to identify and recognize exemplary leadership and achievement in business.

In 2018, Flight Global presented Rovinescu with the Global Executive Leadership Award at the 2018 Airline Strategy Awards in London, England, the airline industry’s leading recognition for CEOs of global carriers. He was recognized for his "strong and unwavering leadership of Air Canada."

Also in 2018, Rovinescu was recognized with the CEO lifetime achievement Award at the Airline Passenger Experience Association (APEX) expo in Boston, and named the first CEO from the Americas to be presented with the Award by APEX.

In 2019, Tourisme Montreal presented Rovinescu with their highest honour, the Tribute Award, for his contribution to the development of Montreal and the Conseil du Patronat inducted him into its Entrepreneurs’ Club, amongst the significant leaders of Quebec business. Also in December 2019, it was announced that he would be inducted as a Companion into the Canadian Business Hall of Fame.

On October 3, 2019, together with his wife Elaine, he announced the creation of the Rovinescu Admission Scholarships for new Canadians, to benefit students at both the University of Ottawa and Université de Montréal through a gift of $2M, to be divided equally between the two institutions. The Rovinescu Scholarships will provide first-generation Canadians or children of immigrants, with the opportunity to pursue a bachelor’s or professional degree designation at either university.

Since November 9, 2015, he was named 14th Chancellor of the University of Ottawa, replacing former Governor General Michaëlle Jean.

Rovinescu was appointed a member of the Order of Canada[29] for promoting the associated charitable causes and organizations of Canada's largest airline, and for his leadership in spearheading humanitarian relief following several natural disasters.

*claps hands, thanks for writing this. Sad that a person has to resort to calling someone a puppet lol

Vio

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm

YULACYYZ wrote:
Quite the puppet, Hey!

Quite pathetic. I didn't read the rest. I couldn't be bothered.

HJM

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 pm

I think most would agree that Calin has done a fantastic job at AC. Regarding SIN, I think there was a plan to fly there but then both UA and SQ expanded schedules from California so the plan did not go forward.

YYZORD

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:14 am

SQ's SIN-SEA flight was the reason AC stopped with the idea of launching YVR-SIN, pax would prefer flying SQ over AC anyday and SEA is just right next to YVR, easy connections thru AS and AC Express.

HJM wrote:
I think most would agree that Calin has done a fantastic job at AC. Regarding SIN, I think there was a plan to fly there but then both UA and SQ expanded schedules from California so the plan did not go forward.

flyyul

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:36 pm

YYZORD wrote:
SQ's SIN-SEA flight was the reason AC stopped with the idea of launching YVR-SIN, pax would prefer flying SQ over AC anyday and SEA is just right next to YVR, easy connections thru AS and AC Express.

HJM wrote:

No it absolutely was not.

x1234

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:52 pm

There is definetly more J traffic to SIN from LAX/SFO/SEA/JFK/EWR than YVR or YYZ. SIN is Asia Pac HQ for many American multinationals like Google. Also Singapore/Taiwan and South Korea/Japan are the most westernized Asian countries in the US VISA Waiver Program unlike Mainland China/Hong Kong. Although there is some J traffic to PEK/PVG/CAN/HKG from Canada the majority is VFR. This is way SQ launched SEA instead of YVR. There's also more VFR to SIN/TPE from the USA instead of Canada.

jumbojettony

Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:04 pm

Was wondering, I know it takes up money but is there a reason they aren't using the down turn due to covid to re-paint the 78s 77s and A330s into the new livery?

Whiteguy

Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:37 pm

jumbojettony wrote:
Was wondering, I know it takes up money but is there a reason they aren't using the down turn due to covid to re-paint the 78s 77s and A330s into the new livery?

The answer is in your question....

Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:53 pm

jumbojettony wrote:

Can't paint planes if you're losing $1 billion dollars rvery quarter and are about to go into your 4th quarter with zero govt aid provided, its not good

spinotter

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:34 am

YULACYYZ wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Quite the puppet, Hey!

Thanks for posting, Mr. Rovinescu!

CFWAD

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Calin has been the steady, firm and consistent hand that Air Canada desperately needed after the painful decade from 1999-2009.

Apart from Clive in the West, hard to mention a reasonably recent airline CEO in Canada who will retire with such admiration from their employee group, shareholders and general flying public.

Whenever I am out of country and see that rondelle on the tarmac, I most definitely still get a sense of Canadian pride. Thanks Calin, for leading a team you setup to succeed for years to come.

Just wish Ben had stuck around and taken the left seat...

codyul

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:36 pm

Same, I think Ben is the one lost asset. Lucky AFKLM

TObound

Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:07 pm

CFWAD wrote:
Apart from Clive in the West, hard to mention a reasonably recent airline CEO in Canada who will retire with such admiration from their employee group, shareholders and general flying public.

Agree with employees and shareholders. Not so sure about the general flying public. He's been fantastic for AC's frequent flyers. But that's not "the general flying public".

Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:12 pm

TObound wrote:
CFWAD wrote:

Agree with employees and shareholders. Not so sure about the general flying public. He's been fantastic for AC's frequent flyers. But that's not "the general flying public".

What is the grudge? Honestly. AC carried record amounts of passengers, so if the general flying public disagreed, that wouldn't be the case. Can't handle the truth maybe?

WildcatYXU

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:20 pm

777luver wrote:
TObound wrote:
CFWAD wrote:

What is the grudge? Honestly. AC carried record amounts of passengers, so if the general flying public disagreed, that wouldn't be the case. Can't handle the truth maybe?

From a POW of a low level FF (I was E50K for 10 years, halfway to MM status before my travel hiatus caused by sickness) who's relegated to the back cabin by his employer's travel policy it is simple: The changes implemented by AC work as designed. They cost me money. I can expense the checked luggage, but I can't expense the seat selection - especially not the "upgrade" to seats that have decent legroom, or, god forbid, upgrade to J. Considering that the Y cabins are now badly cramped, a preferred seat is now a must. Since the purpose of work is earning money, not spending it, I don't like it. Also, I'd mention the fact that the FF program was massively de-valuated as well. The mess called branded fares doesn't help either. What else? Oh, to make my personal travel more expensive they created Rouge. They fly 319's to my favourite vacation spots, so I only book J now.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:34 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
777luver wrote:
TObound wrote:

From a POW of a low level FF (I was E50K for 10 years, halfway to MM status before my travel hiatus caused by sickness) who's relegated to the back cabin by his employer's travel policy it is simple: The changes implemented by AC work as designed. They cost me money. I can expense the checked luggage, but I can't expense the seat selection - especially not the "upgrade" to seats that have decent legroom, or, god forbid, upgrade to J. Considering that the Y cabins are now badly cramped, a preferred seat is now a must. Since the purpose of work is earning money, not spending it, I don't like it. Also, I'd mention the fact that the FF program was massively de-valuated as well. The mess called branded fares doesn't help either. What else? Oh, to make my personal travel more expensive they created Rouge. They fly 319's to my favourite vacation spots, so I only book J now.

Hmmm so no other airline changed their business model to reflect what customers wanted? Those changes reflect what customers wanted and where the business is or was going. And Rouge was a success albeit controversial. Isnt there a new aeroplan? Oh yeah

TObound

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:51 pm

777luver wrote:
TObound wrote:
CFWAD wrote:

Carrying more passengers means the CEO of a carrier in a duopoly has won the admiration of "the general flying public"?

There's somebody here who can't handle the truth. But it ain't me. I'll leave you to your circle jerk.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm

777luver wrote:

Hmmm so no other airline changed their business model to reflect what customers wanted? Those changes reflect what customers wanted and where the business is or was going. And Rouge was a success albeit controversial. Isnt there a new aeroplan? Oh yeah

So customers wanted 17/30 seats in 777's? I don't think so. Did they really want complete unbundling? Perhaps. They definitely wanted lower fares. They actually received them on routes where was some meaningful competition. However, the routes I used to fly were anything but cheap.
And yeah, the new aeroplan is fabulous. The amount of points required to get a reward ticket on routes I'm interested in was increased by 75%. However, the point accumulation didn't follow suit. We'll see how will the situation pan out once they implement the announced value based point accumulation. That may be actually good for customers flying expensive North American routes.

TObound

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:57 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
777luver wrote:
TObound wrote:

In the world of folks who get air travel mostly paid for on the company dime, get lots of upgrades and status, I'm sure the changes were well received. They are now so out of touch with the plebes that they think regular Canadians are going to applaud the CEO for such changes.

Like I said. Great for shareholders. And from what I hear great for employees. But from where I sit as one of the unwashed masses, not so much.

TObound

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
And yeah, the new aeroplan is fabulous. The amount of points required to get a reward ticket on routes I'm interested in was increased by 75%. However, the point accumulation didn't follow suit. We'll see how will the situation pan out once they implement the announced value based point accumulation. That may be actually good for customers flying expensive North American routes.

I think the new aeroplan is great. It finally convinced me of the utter uselessness of Aeroplan for anybody who isn't flying every week with AC. Might as well rely on the lounge perks of my credit card and move to flying the carrier that offers the best combination of price, comfort and schedule I want on a given trip. At least before I made some effort to support the hometown team....

WildcatYXU

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:09 pm

TObound wrote:

In the world of folks who get air travel mostly paid for on the company dime, get lots of upgrades and status, I'm sure the changes were well received. They are now so out of touch with the plebes that they think regular Canadians are going to applaud the CEO for such changes.

Like I said. Great for shareholders. And from what I hear great for employees. But from where I sit as one of the unwashed masses, not so much.

You shouldn't believe everything you hear. Most of the folks traveling on company dime travel on low fare buckets with limited point accumulation, so the e-upgrades are scarce too. Paid upgrades aren't anything to write home about either. They are quite expensive compared to the airlines south of the border. Last year I was able to buy an upgrade on DEN-IAD segment with UA for 130USD. I also paid 113USD for upgrading the STX-CLT segment on AA. One can only dream about similar value on AC.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 pm

TObound wrote:
I think the new aeroplan is great. It finally convinced me of the utter uselessness of Aeroplan for anybody who isn't flying every week with AC. Might as well rely on the lounge perks of my credit card and move to flying the carrier that offers the best combination of price, comfort and schedule I want on a given trip. At least before I made some effort to support the hometown team....

The problem is that there is currently no meaningful competitor one could switch to. At least if you don't live in some of the big cities. And even then you may have a problem if you need to travel somewhere outside the big cities.

TObound

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:43 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
TObound wrote:

The problem is that there is currently no meaningful competitor one could switch to. At least if you don't live in some of the big cities. And even then you may have a problem if you need to travel somewhere outside the big cities.

As someone who lives in Ottawa, believe me I understand. Pre-Covid was really hoping that the 321/LR/XLR would bring some competition to YOW. Now, the best hope is that VIA gets the rumoured funding for their HFR plan which will make self-transfers to Dorval easier and accessing more choices there.

I really WestJet would bite the bullet and join an alliance. Preferably SkyTeam. That would make them more competitive to AC.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:08 pm

TObound wrote:

As someone who lives in Ottawa, believe me I understand. Pre-Covid was really hoping that the 321/LR/XLR would bring some competition to YOW. Now, the best hope is that VIA gets the rumoured funding for their HFR plan which will make self-transfers to Dorval easier and accessing more choices there.

I really WestJet would bite the bullet and join an alliance. Preferably SkyTeam. That would make them more competitive to AC.

I would only take intermodal connections if there would be an AC code on the train and I could check in my luggage at the railway station. I'm not interested in hauling it between the station and the airport at the connection point.

Agreed on WestJet.

yzfElite

Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:31 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
TObound wrote:

I would only take intermodal connections if there would be an AC code on the train and I could check in my luggage at the railway station. I'm not interested in hauling it between the station and the airport at the connection point.

Agreed on WestJet.

Of course here in Ottawa, WS had essentially relegated us to a Q400 station even pre-covid unless we're traveling to a small handful of destinations at certain times (e.g. timing never works for my YOW-YVR/YEG frequent trips).

The main benefit to AC's growth over the past 20 years has been the abundance of flights and destinations on AC metal. Attracting so many US and other external passengers to fill flights has resulted in far more options for us. I accept that I need to fly to YUL/YYZ/IAD/EWR for a connection to get many places, but at least that tends to be simple and as described above I am a 15 year Elite member with at least some benefits/perks. Hopefully this doesn't take another 20 years to rebuild.

I was anti rouge for a long time, though after a long flight to LIM last year, I am ready to accept that it actually isn't all that bad and perhaps better than the 773HD and certainly better than the TS332 for space IMO. Now that the Rouge 767s are gone, we won't have to worry about long haul on Rouge again at least in the near term.

YMX4ever

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:55 pm

Hey Guys

Saw this A330 fly over my area this AM from YUL to YMX and couldn't help wonder if it was going into storage? :( Would anyone have some info?

Thanks!
Last edited by YMX4ever on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cardude100000

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:57 pm

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2021-01-02/

What is this government trying to do with this industry?

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:18 pm

Cardude100000 wrote:

Kill it

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:24 pm

Cardude100000 wrote:

They don't want people travelling so this is how they make people stay at home without actually banning people from leaving . Their actions speaks volumes and gives you all the info, you need to know...they don't care. But hey "we are following best science practices and rules to keep Canadians safe while killing the airlines" LOL utterly appalling and disgusting of a govt

Skywatcher

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 pm

Cardude100000 wrote:

More Federal government bungling. They've had 10 months to set up rapid testing at the 4 Canadian airports that still offer international flights and instead they come up with this half assed solution! They have gutshot the airlines yet again.

What if you're in Cuba or somewhere like that and they don't have tests?

I asked this in another thread-what are all the former CBSA agents doing now that international travel is down 90%? Can't they all be re-purposed to monitor simple, rapid covid tests?

It is grotesque incompetence plain and simple. Maybe Ms. Tam can do another ad telling us all for the thousandth time to lock ourselves up so that her government can continue to respond ineffectively and drag this thing out even longer.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Cardude100000 wrote:

More Federal government bungling. They've had 10 months to set up rapid testing at the 4 Canadian airports that still offer international flights and instead they come up with this half assed solution! They have gutshot the airlines yet again.

What if you're in Cuba or somewhere like that and they don't have tests?

I asked this in another thread-what are all the former CBSA agents doing now that international travel is down 90%? Can't they all be re-purposed to monitor simple, rapid covid tests?

It is grotesque incompetence plain and simple. Maybe Ms. Tam can do another ad telling us all for the thousandth time to lock ourselves up so that her government can continue to respond ineffectively and drag this thing out even longer.

This is the same govt that 2 weeks ago said travel was non-issue

WildcatYXU

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:04 pm

777luver wrote:

It most likely still is. However, the numbers are going up, so they have to look for someone to blame. Those to travel are a good target. It will be interesting to look for a testing site just to get home. Well, at least I can say I didn't vote for them.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:35 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
777luver wrote:

It most likely still is. However, the numbers are going up, so they have to look for someone to blame. Those to travel are a good target. It will be interesting to look for a testing site just to get home. Well, at least I can say I didn't vote for them.

I agree with your opinion, they keep making knee jerk reactions as if its a sensible approach to governing. They don't deserve to be a govt

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:39 pm

TObound wrote:
777luver wrote:
TObound wrote:

Carrying more passengers means the CEO of a carrier in a duopoly has won the admiration of "the general flying public"?

There's somebody here who can't handle the truth. But it ain't me. I'll leave you to your circle jerk.

LOL I never said that the airline carrying more passengers means the CEO has won the admiration , I just said what he and his team has done has worked. But it doesn't matter because you clearly have a grudge against AC, hence calling the CEO a puppet. And circle jerk? How old are you? 5?

wr911

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:47 pm

AGREE, this government decision just reinforces my belief that as much as we look to rely on governments for governance and standards, they literally can screw up almost everything. My hope was the approach done by Alberta in regards to Covid testing on arriving passengers would become the norm, but alas why not reinvent the wheel, one of governments favourite approach to problem solving.

TObound

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:24 am

777luver wrote:
hence calling the CEO a puppet.

Please quote the exact post where I said that.

777luver wrote:

How old are you? 5?

Old enough to know that CEOs have the interests of shareholders at heart, not "the general flying public".

Orcair

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:42 am

Skywatcher wrote:
Cardude100000 wrote:

Many BSOs have been transferred to mail centres/air cargo operations.

Skywatcher

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Orcair wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
Cardude100000 wrote:

90%? I highly doubt it.

What about all the boarding security staff as well? Although domestic flying isn't as hard hit as international at least 2/3's of them must be in need of employment. What's happening with them? Couldn't they take a simple course for rapid covid testing? It's just a saliva sample and a machine.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Airlines slamming Ottawa for a lack of consultation and clarity..doubt it'll change anything though

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress. ... -19-tests/

Orcair

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Orcair wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

90%? I highly doubt it.

What about all the boarding security staff as well? Although domestic flying isn't as hard hit as international at least 2/3's of them must be in need of employment. What's happening with them? Couldn't they take a simple course for rapid covid testing? It's just a saliva sample and a machine.

Well your original 90% was re: travel numbers. BSOs require more time to interview passengers now and go through quarantine plan/steps. Air Cargo/Mail are also dramatically up. You could always file an Access to Information request with CBSA and CATSA to see how staffing has changed, as I can't get more specific.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos