Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Zidane
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 pm

British Airways to resume LHR - ANU and UVF on 10th July. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/s ... blic/en_gb
 
maverick4002
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:47 pm

Whats the word on Belize? I just saw an affordable flight on UA (and I have a UA credit to use) and I want to go for a week. Split my time between the jungle and the beach. Anyone has and tips / recommendations?
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:52 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
UA will expand its Caribbean network from 13 May with more flights than it did before in 2019.

From ORD
Aruba (AUA) Weekly
Montego Bay (MBJ) Weekly
Nassau (NAS) 2x weekly
Punta Cana (PUJ) Daily
San Juan (SJU) Daily
St. Thomas (STT) 2x weekly
Cancun (CUN) 2x daily
Cozumel (CZM) Weekly

From DEN
Nassau Weekly
Cancun 3x Daily

From IAH
Aruba Weekly
Montego Bay 4x Weekly
Nassau 10x Weekly
Turks and Caicos (PLS) Weekly
Punta Cana 2x Weekly
San Juan 18x Weekly
St Thomas Daily
Belize 2x Daily
Roatan (RTB) 5x Weekly
Cancun 5x Daily

From EWR
Aruba 2x daily
Aguadilla (BQN) Daily
Montego Bay 10x Weekly
Nassau Daily
Turks and Caicos Daily
Puerto Plata 3x Weekly
Punta Cana 11x Weekly
Santo Domingo (SDQ) 3x daily
Santiago (STI) 3x daily
St Thomas 2x daily
St Maarten Daily
Cancun 3x daily
Belize (BZE) 2x weekly


No ANU from EWR? Did B6 run them off even before they began?

UA dropped ANU prior to B6 announcing it was starting the route. They dropped it shortly after the testing requirement to re-enter the US was implemented.


Naturally, I figured that was a temporary measure. I fully expected them to return.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 pm

Air Belgium (KF) will restart its Caribbean routes from Brussels South Charleroi Airport (CRL) to FDF on 3 July (twice-weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays) and to PTP on 2 July (flights on Tuesdays and Fridays). The FDF flights will continue to CUR, and new destination for KF, with return flights via FDF.
 
wadadli
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:22 pm

Zidane wrote:
British Airways to resume LHR - ANU and UVF on 10th July. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/s ... blic/en_gb


2x weekly terminator flights:

LHR - UVF - Tue, Sat
LHR - ANU - Wed, Sat

BA has also reshaped the LGW summer (July - early Sep) operations with all terminator flights to UVF 4x weekly Sun/Mon/Wed/ Fri

BA will also fly daily LGW/ANU with shuttle flights to SKB/POS/TAB/GND. PLS appears to temporarily move to LHR shared with NAS

LGW/ANU/POS - Mon, Tue, Thu
LGW/ANU/SKB - Sun
LGW/ANU/GND - Wed, Sat
LGW/ANU/TAB - Fri

ANU will have significant capacity for the summer as in addition to the 9 weekly BA LGW/LHR flights, VS is scheduled to go daily year round from LHR/ANU effective 23rd June, 2021 after a tentative return on May 17th with 4x weekly (to coincide with the tentative opening of UK international travel)

If the VS schedule holds, which is a big IF in these uncertain times, it will be as follows from 23rd June onwards:

LHR/ANU - Tue, Sat terminator
LHR/ANU/SVD - Sun, Wed
LHR/ANU/GND - Mon, Fri
LHR/ANU/TAB - Thu
Last edited by wadadli on Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
wadadli
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:31 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:

No ANU from EWR? Did B6 run them off even before they began?

UA dropped ANU prior to B6 announcing it was starting the route. They dropped it shortly after the testing requirement to re-enter the US was implemented.


Naturally, I figured that was a temporary measure. I fully expected them to return.


UA are scheduled to return 6th November, 2021 1x weekly before daily flights for the busy Christmas period.

We will see how they hold up against B6 but UA has done fairly well over the years EWR/ANU going back to Continental days so should easily be able to maintain at least 1x weekly in peak

Though NYC/ANU is a bloodbath with B6/AA/DL/UA so with B6 adding EWR in addition to JFK.... we have to wait and see how it plays out.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:10 pm

BA's flights from LGW to UVF on Fridays will go to 6x weekly from 19 May (no flights on Tuesdays).

LGW-UVF-GND is scheduled to resume on 26 May on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

There is no official word about the reopening of TnT's borders, but BA has scheduled a resumption of LGW-UVF-POS on 3 June on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, so down from 5x weekly pre-pandemic.

The Friday flights will continue to terminate at UVF.

All flights operated at LGW S as the North terminal is still closed.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:17 pm

wadadli wrote:
Zidane wrote:
British Airways to resume LHR - ANU and UVF on 10th July. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/s ... blic/en_gb
PLS appears to temporarily move to LHR shared with NAS

BA is scheduled to resume its Sunday LGW-ANU-PLS flights on 23 May.
 
wadadli
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:58 pm

gunnerman wrote:
wadadli wrote:
Zidane wrote:
British Airways to resume LHR - ANU and UVF on 10th July. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/s ... blic/en_gb
PLS appears to temporarily move to LHR shared with NAS

BA is scheduled to resume its Sunday LGW-ANU-PLS flights on 23 May.


Correct but from June 6th, 2021 it changes to LHR/NAS/PLS through 10th October, 2021. It reverts to LGW rotations through ANU from 17th October, 2021 as of now.
 
wadadli
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:01 pm

gunnerman wrote:
BA's flights from LGW to UVF on Fridays will go to 6x weekly from 19 May (no flights on Tuesdays).

LGW-UVF-GND is scheduled to resume on 26 May on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

There is no official word about the reopening of TnT's borders, but BA has scheduled a resumption of LGW-UVF-POS on 3 June on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, so down from 5x weekly pre-pandemic.

The Friday flights will continue to terminate at UVF.

All flights operated at LGW S as the North terminal is still closed.


The above is correct for May/June but there are significant changes in the rotations from July 10th through early September, 2021 as of now.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:05 pm

wadadli wrote:
Zidane wrote:
British Airways to resume LHR - ANU and UVF on 10th July. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/s ... blic/en_gb


2x weekly terminator flights:

LHR - UVF - Tue, Sat
LHR - ANU - Wed, Sat

BA has also reshaped the LGW summer (July - early Sep) operations with all terminator flights to UVF 4x weekly Sun/Mon/Wed/ Fri

BA will also fly daily LGW/ANU with shuttle flights to SKB/POS/TAB/GND. PLS appears to temporarily move to LHR shared with NAS

LGW/ANU/POS - Mon, Tue, Thu
LGW/ANU/SKB - Sun
LGW/ANU/GND - Wed, Sat
LGW/ANU/TAB - Fri

ANU will have significant capacity for the summer as in addition to the 9 weekly BA LGW/LHR flights, VS is scheduled to go daily year round from LHR/ANU effective 23rd June, 2021 after a tentative return on May 17th with 4x weekly (to coincide with the tentative opening of UK international travel)

If the VS schedule holds, which is a big IF in these uncertain times, it will be as follows from 23rd June onwards:

LHR/ANU - Tue, Sat terminator
LHR/ANU/SVD - Sun, Wed
LHR/ANU/GND - Mon, Fri
LHR/ANU/TAB - Thu


gunnerman wrote:
BA's flights from LGW to UVF on Fridays will go to 6x weekly from 19 May (no flights on Tuesdays).

LGW-UVF-GND is scheduled to resume on 26 May on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

There is no official word about the reopening of TnT's borders, but BA has scheduled a resumption of LGW-UVF-POS on 3 June on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, so down from 5x weekly pre-pandemic.

The Friday flights will continue to terminate at UVF.

All flights operated at LGW S as the North terminal is still closed.

So BA is restarting in May with its regular connector schedule to ANU/UVF and then completely switching up the schedule come July and moving all connector flights to ANU?
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Yes, examples are LGW-GND and LGW-POS switching from ANU back to UVF on 8 September and 9 September respectively.

Flights to UVF will remain 6x weekly regardless of whether from LGW or LHR (although Tuesday non-flying will move to Thursday on 15 July), and UVF will be back to daily for the winter schedule on 2 November when the Tuesday flights will be reinstated (LGW-UVF and onto POS).

Incidentally BA no longer has First class cabins on its UVF flights (meaning none as well for POS and GND), so it's just BGI from LHR in the Caribbean that gets First, and when LGW-BGI returns on 31 October on a 4x weekly schedule there won't be First on those flights either - and First will remain year-round on the daily LHR-BGI.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Yes, examples are LGW-GND and LGW-POS switching from ANU back to UVF on 8 September and 9 September respectively.

Flights to UVF will remain 6x weekly regardless of whether from LGW or LHR (although Tuesday non-flying will move to Thursday on 15 July), and UVF will be back to daily for the winter schedule on 2 November when the Tuesday flights will be reinstated (LGW-UVF and onto POS).

Incidentally BA no longer has First class cabins on its UVF flights (meaning none as well for POS and GND), so it's just BGI from LHR in the Caribbean that gets First, and when LGW-BGI returns on 31 October on a 4x weekly schedule there won't be First on those flights either - and First will remain year-round on the daily LHR-BGI.

I'm guessing the September schedule is still tentative? IMO as they no longer have competition into UVF, it makes sense to make their flights there terminators and move all the connectors to ANU on a long term basis especially as VS will now be doing all of its connectors via ANU.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:55 pm

One benefit of having just terminators at UVF is that UVF is unpopular with the crew for shuttle flights (as crew call them) because the crew hotel is in the north of the island, thus causing tedious transfers between the hotel and airport. Here's what a typical set of transfers used to be for cabin crew (pilot rosters are a bit different).

Monday: arrive at UVF from LGW, travel to hotel.
Tuesday: hotel to airport return for POS shuttle.
Wednesday: hotel to airport for flight back to LGW.

So, four transfers which can each take 1h 30m or a lot longer.

Let's wait and see what BA does after evaluating the ANU shuttles this summer.
 
ryby92
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:51 pm

gunnerman wrote:
One benefit of having just terminators at UVF is that UVF is unpopular with the crew for shuttle flights (as crew call them) because the crew hotel is in the north of the island, thus causing tedious transfers between the hotel and airport. Here's what a typical set of transfers used to be for cabin crew (pilot rosters are a bit different).

Monday: arrive at UVF from LGW, travel to hotel.
Tuesday: hotel to airport return for POS shuttle.
Wednesday: hotel to airport for flight back to LGW.

So, four transfers which can each take 1h 30m or a lot longer.

Let's wait and see what BA does after evaluating the ANU shuttles this summer.


Antigua on the other hand can be as little as 15 minutes airport transfer.
 
windian425
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Can we get some BGI shuttles please.. These turnarounds are boring... BGI had the TAB and POS shuttles from BA.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:52 pm

It's been years since there were shuttles from BGI. It's a premium destination which doesn't need seats being filled with low-yield passengers. There's only 235 seats from LHR, more than the 226 from LGW, but still not a lot. For information here's the cabin configuration.

First 8
Club World 49
World Traveller Plus 40
World Traveller 138
 
windian425
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:22 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Wishful thinking on my part purely from a spotter point of view.
 
caribny
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:54 am

windian425 wrote:
Wishful thinking on my part purely from a spotter point of view.


The flights via ANU get 336 seats so more urgency for the shuttles. They help justify daily ANU service. With UVF now only BA it will not surprise me if even after Sept they keep the terminators. With LON ANU going to 2x daily (BA/VS each daily) I think they will need shuttles.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:03 pm

caribny wrote:
windian425 wrote:
Wishful thinking on my part purely from a spotter point of view.


The flights via ANU get 336 seats so more urgency for the shuttles. They help justify daily ANU service. With UVF now only BA it will not surprise me if even after Sept they keep the terminators. With LON ANU going to 2x daily (BA/VS each daily) I think they will need shuttles.

I agree. The only complication I see with leaving all the connectors at ANU is that the secondary destinations may eventually rebound to the point where they require more frequency (POS may need to go back to 5x weekly, SKB 2x weekly). Other than that, I think it makes sense to leave the connectors entirely at ANU going forward.
 
BW985
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:54 pm

BA have also added flights from LGW to MBJ 2x a week for the Summer and a 4th weekly KIN flight.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:28 pm

Can someone who knows about ANU comment on its ability to handle the BA and VS flights in the summer peak? BA will be daily from LGW, arriving at 1400, with shuttles departing at 1500. Then from 10 July there will be LHR-ANU arriving at 1600 on Wednesdays and Saturdays until 4 September.

During this period VS will also be daily. The Tuesday and Saturday terminators arrive at 1550, the other five flights between 1250 and 1330 and onto GND, SVD and TAN between 1400 and 1445.

In summary, there will be two flights arriving each day between 1330 and 1550 from LHR and LGW and two daily shuttle departures (except on Tuesday and Saturdays when there will be one). Those 12 shuttles will come back early evening and two flights a day will return to LHR and LGW. Does ANU have the ground handling to cope?
 
richard757
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 pm

British Airways website shows four flights a week from LGW to POS via UVF effective June 3rd. Flights operate on Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. BA 2159, departs LGW at 10.00 arrival into POS at 15.55. Northbound flights are BA 2158 departs POS at 17.40 arrival into LGW at 9.00. But, I am not sure when POS will be open for international flights.
 
ryby92
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:29 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Can someone who knows about ANU comment on its ability to handle the BA and VS flights in the summer peak? BA will be daily from LGW, arriving at 1400, with shuttles departing at 1500. Then from 10 July there will be LHR-ANU arriving at 1600 on Wednesdays and Saturdays until 4 September.

During this period VS will also be daily. The Tuesday and Saturday terminators arrive at 1550, the other five flights between 1250 and 1330 and onto GND, SVD and TAN between 1400 and 1445.

In summary, there will be two flights arriving each day between 1330 and 1550 from LHR and LGW and two daily shuttle departures (except on Tuesday and Saturdays when there will be one). Those 12 shuttles will come back early evening and two flights a day will return to LHR and LGW. Does ANU have the ground handling to cope?


They should be fine to handle both VS and BA. Only other regular daily flights are AA. DL is weekend and B6 less than daily. LI is a shell of its former self
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:09 am

gunnerman wrote:
Can someone who knows about ANU comment on its ability to handle the BA and VS flights in the summer peak? BA will be daily from LGW, arriving at 1400, with shuttles departing at 1500. Then from 10 July there will be LHR-ANU arriving at 1600 on Wednesdays and Saturdays until 4 September.

During this period VS will also be daily. The Tuesday and Saturday terminators arrive at 1550, the other five flights between 1250 and 1330 and onto GND, SVD and TAN between 1400 and 1445.

In summary, there will be two flights arriving each day between 1330 and 1550 from LHR and LGW and two daily shuttle departures (except on Tuesday and Saturdays when there will be one). Those 12 shuttles will come back early evening and two flights a day will return to LHR and LGW. Does ANU have the ground handling to cope?


ANU will be fine. The winter peak during periods of strong tourism usually saw multiple flights from AA, UA, DL, BA, VS, LI, etc. all arriving around the same time. This summer season will see less flights than that peak. The only potential issue I see is if the BA/VS flights experience delays and all arrive at the same time. The issue wouldn’t be ground handling but a crush of people at immigration and baggage claim. ANU is an airport with a long history and the staff there have the requisite experience. I’d be more worried if this were an airport not accustomed to this like say, SVD.
 
baje427
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 am

I'm being cautiously optimistic but we all saw what happened after the last winter season with Covid numbers. Its going to be a tough balancing act going forward we need the tourist but consistent enforcement of science based protocols will be required.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 am

baje427 wrote:
I'm being cautiously optimistic but we all saw what happened after the last winter season with Covid numbers. Its going to be a tough balancing act going forward we need the tourist but consistent enforcement of science based protocols will be required.

The US and the UK (the English speaking Caribbean’s largest source markets) have been relatively good on getting their citizens vaccinated. I think that will help significantly. I also feel that people will still be seeking “relaxing”, “outdoorsy” destinations. That IMO bodes well for the Caribbean. The massive tourism influx seen in Florida suggests to me that people are ready to get out again and once restrictions are lifted, the Caribbean is as good a place as any to go. The bigger issues might be the ability of the islands to reopen hotels, activities, etc quickly enough to handle the influx of tourists and potential weather issues at that time of year.
 
wadadli
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:09 am

gunnerman wrote:
Can someone who knows about ANU comment on its ability to handle the BA and VS flights in the summer peak? BA will be daily from LGW, arriving at 1400, with shuttles departing at 1500. Then from 10 July there will be LHR-ANU arriving at 1600 on Wednesdays and Saturdays until 4 September.

During this period VS will also be daily. The Tuesday and Saturday terminators arrive at 1550, the other five flights between 1250 and 1330 and onto GND, SVD and TAN between 1400 and 1445.

In summary, there will be two flights arriving each day between 1330 and 1550 from LHR and LGW and two daily shuttle departures (except on Tuesday and Saturdays when there will be one). Those 12 shuttles will come back early evening and two flights a day will return to LHR and LGW. Does ANU have the ground handling to cope?


Non-issue. Besides the four jet bridges which are all capable of handling wide bodies (I attempted to attach two pictures above), there at least 5-6 other parking stands for wide and narrow bodies which are utilized in front of the adjacent old terminal to the south. This is in addition to space utilized to the north of the new terminal where the grounded LIAT planes are presently parked and additional parking space to the far south towards the partial parallel taxiway.

It's not unusual on a weekend in season for 10 wide and narrow bodies to be parked on the tarmac in addition LIAT and other turbo props. Even in Covid, a Saturday now often finds on the ground at the same time 3 AA's, 2 DL's, B6, BA...and up to recent times BW, UA and VS...

There are more than enough ground handling companies and services to cover all in addition to any return of usual carriers like United, Sunwing, Westjet etc. ANU has modern facilities (new terminal, new tower cab, parking etc)...certainly more terminal capacity and infrastructure than it can utilize for the next many many years factoring in moderate year on year traffic growth.
 
baje427
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:42 am

Brickell305 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
I'm being cautiously optimistic but we all saw what happened after the last winter season with Covid numbers. Its going to be a tough balancing act going forward we need the tourist but consistent enforcement of science based protocols will be required.

The US and the UK (the English speaking Caribbean’s largest source markets) have been relatively good on getting their citizens vaccinated. I think that will help significantly. I also feel that people will still be seeking “relaxing”, “outdoorsy” destinations. That IMO bodes well for the Caribbean. The massive tourism influx seen in Florida suggests to me that people are ready to get out again and once restrictions are lifted, the Caribbean is as good a place as any to go. The bigger issues might be the ability of the islands to reopen hotels, activities, etc quickly enough to handle the influx of tourists and potential weather issues at that time of year.

The issue isn't demand the issue is how to manage restrictions. The last outbreak has taken over 4 months to come under some control in BGI. The Caribbean's health systems cannot handle mass tourism at the moment.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:53 am

Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
Can someone who knows about ANU comment on its ability to handle the BA and VS flights in the summer peak? BA will be daily from LGW, arriving at 1400, with shuttles departing at 1500. Then from 10 July there will be LHR-ANU arriving at 1600 on Wednesdays and Saturdays until 4 September.

During this period VS will also be daily. The Tuesday and Saturday terminators arrive at 1550, the other five flights between 1250 and 1330 and onto GND, SVD and TAN between 1400 and 1445.

In summary, there will be two flights arriving each day between 1330 and 1550 from LHR and LGW and two daily shuttle departures (except on Tuesday and Saturdays when there will be one). Those 12 shuttles will come back early evening and two flights a day will return to LHR and LGW. Does ANU have the ground handling to cope?

The only potential issue I see is if the BA/VS flights experience delays and all arrive at the same time. The issue wouldn’t be ground handling but a crush of people at immigration and baggage claim. ANU is an airport with a long history and the staff there have the requisite experience. I’d be more worried if this were an airport not accustomed to this like say, SVD.

This is one of the things I was concerned about. I recall an occasion some years ago when I arrived at BGI in a BA 772 at around 1500 on a Saturday and was surprised when we had to wait for a stand as all stands were occupied with a variety of planes from VS, AA, DL, B6, BW, LI and others. And on entering the Immigation hall we were immediately in a massive queue which took ages to clear. It was a reminder of what can happen at peak periods.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm

European flights to GND in 2021 are scheduled to recommence as follows.
17 May VS 333 LHR-ANU-GND on Mondays and Fridays
26 May BA 772 LGW-UVF-GND on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
05 Nov DE 763 FRA-GND-BGI-FRA on Fridays.
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1513
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:08 pm

BahamasAir working on a ticketing deal with Royal Caribbean cruises for their upcoming cruises out of NAS

https://thenassauguardian.com/bahamasai ... n-airlift/
 
BW985
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:28 pm

How will the volcano in St Vincent affect aviation in the Caribbean?

VS have cancelled their LHR-BGI flight today. The website states “due to live volcanic activity in the Caribbean”.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:52 pm

This kind of thing has happened. Some years ago the Montserrat volcano blew again, not as serious as the big one in 1997 but with enough ash thrown into the air to cause cancelled flights in the Eastern Caribbean for a few days at several airports including ANU. BA passengers at places like GND (and, I think VS passengers at TAB) who were returning home were rerouted on LIAT to BGI for flights back to LGW.
 
aa1818
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:03 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:16 pm

BW985 wrote:
How will the volcano in St Vincent affect aviation in the Caribbean?

VS have cancelled their LHR-BGI flight today. The website states “due to live volcanic activity in the Caribbean”.


Based on videos and photos or massive plumes of smoke and videos showing debris falling on roofs in the red zone, it is unsurprising that flights would be affected.

I am not sure whether that will occur again, but last time there was a volcanic event in St. Vincent, Barbados was seriously affected. Admittedly (I'm in BGI at the moment) the sky is very hazy and grey but hard to tell if that is ash (doubtful already) or if it is Sahara dust combined with a very overcast day.

Thoughts and prayers are with the people of St. Vincent.

On another note; are there any other routes that CAL is running from BGI besides:
JFK (738)
SVD/GND Triangle/ Reverse ATR72
OGL ATR72
DOM ATR72

Are the KIN (via ANU/ SXM) flights still operating?
Do they run the ATR72 to ANU, SLU, SXM from BGI?

Yet another note;
Saw on FB someone stated: "Heads up. CAL's first MAX (9Y-CAL) should be rolling out of the paint shop in Seattle in the coming days".
Not sure if its true?
Cheers,
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)
 
A388
Posts: 8058
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 pm

I told my friends about this yesterday. As per the 737MAX production thread the first CAL 737MAX should have rolled out the factory on April 6th either fully painted or parked on the ramp (partially painted). Registration indeed should be 9Y-CAL.

A388
 
baje427
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:50 pm

aa1818 wrote:
BW985 wrote:
How will the volcano in St Vincent affect aviation in the Caribbean?

VS have cancelled their LHR-BGI flight today. The website states “due to live volcanic activity in the Caribbean”.


Based on videos and photos or massive plumes of smoke and videos showing debris falling on roofs in the red zone, it is unsurprising that flights would be affected.

I am not sure whether that will occur again, but last time there was a volcanic event in St. Vincent, Barbados was seriously affected. Admittedly (I'm in BGI at the moment) the sky is very hazy and grey but hard to tell if that is ash (doubtful already) or if it is Sahara dust combined with a very overcast day.

Thoughts and prayers are with the people of St. Vincent.

On another note; are there any other routes that CAL is running from BGI besides:
JFK (738)
SVD/GND Triangle/ Reverse ATR72
OGL ATR72
DOM ATR72

Are the KIN (via ANU/ SXM) flights still operating?
Do they run the ATR72 to ANU, SLU, SXM from BGI?

Yet another note;
Saw on FB someone stated: "Heads up. CAL's first MAX (9Y-CAL) should be rolling out of the paint shop in Seattle in the coming days".
Not sure if its true?
Cheers,
AA1818

There has been a third eruption in St.Vincent I suspect GAIA will be affected for a bit. Interesting info on CAL if true.
 
maverick4002
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:18 pm

A388 wrote:
I told my friends about this yesterday. As per the 737MAX production thread the first CAL 737MAX should have rolled out the factory on April 6th either fully painted or parked on the ramp (partially painted). Registration indeed should be 9Y-CAL.

A388


So they are still taking MAXs...factory fresh at that? I though the last statement didnt indicate this? Will this new aircraft have a new interior as well?
 
A388
Posts: 8058
Joined: Mon May 21, 2001 3:48 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
A388 wrote:
I told my friends about this yesterday. As per the 737MAX production thread the first CAL 737MAX should have rolled out the factory on April 6th either fully painted or parked on the ramp (partially painted). Registration indeed should be 9Y-CAL.

A388


So they are still taking MAXs...factory fresh at that? I though the last statement didnt indicate this? Will this new aircraft have a new interior as well?


I don't know. I'm just hearing their first MAX should be out. I don't know when it will be taken. Due to the huge backlog the MAX's are popping out the factory like hot bread out of an oven :lol:

A388
 
TriniA340
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:57 pm

gunnerman wrote:
To my knowledge Aer Lingus has never flown to the Caribbean. This will be a new base at MAN which EI is setting up. I believe that BA will be codesharing on the routes.


Not sure if this counts but Novair did a service to Tobago for one winter back in 2013-2014, using Aer Lingus A330s.
· longer · larger · farther · faster · higher · quieter · smoother ·
 
caribbean484
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 am

A388 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
A388 wrote:
I told my friends about this yesterday. As per the 737MAX production thread the first CAL 737MAX should have rolled out the factory on April 6th either fully painted or parked on the ramp (partially painted). Registration indeed should be 9Y-CAL.

A388


So they are still taking MAXs...factory fresh at that? I though the last statement didnt indicate this? Will this new aircraft have a new interior as well?


I don't know. I'm just hearing their first MAX should be out. I don't know when it will be taken. Due to the huge backlog the MAX's are popping out the factory like hot bread out of an oven :lol:

A388


Yes CAL is getting factory-fresh 737-8MAX from Boeing. 9Y-CAL is expected to arrive in POS in early June should everything go well which means we will be seeing her outside soon. They are supposed to get 4 this year and finish the re-fleeting exercise in early 2023.
They are also negotiating with the leaser to convert 2 738 to cargo a/cs.
All ah we is one family
 
caribbean484
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:02 am

TriniA340 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
To my knowledge Aer Lingus has never flown to the Caribbean. This will be a new base at MAN which EI is setting up. I believe that BA will be codesharing on the routes.


Not sure if this counts but Novair did a service to Tobago for one winter back in 2013-2014, using Aer Lingus A330s.


I forgot about that service when that particular a/c was used to sun destinations and TAB was a part of the package.

baje427 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
BW985 wrote:
How will the volcano in St Vincent affect aviation in the Caribbean?

VS have cancelled their LHR-BGI flight today. The website states “due to live volcanic activity in the Caribbean”.


Based on videos and photos or massive plumes of smoke and videos showing debris falling on roofs in the red zone, it is unsurprising that flights would be affected.

I am not sure whether that will occur again, but last time there was a volcanic event in St. Vincent, Barbados was seriously affected. Admittedly (I'm in BGI at the moment) the sky is very hazy and grey but hard to tell if that is ash (doubtful already) or if it is Sahara dust combined with a very overcast day.

Thoughts and prayers are with the people of St. Vincent.

On another note; are there any other routes that CAL is running from BGI besides:
JFK (738)
SVD/GND Triangle/ Reverse ATR72
OGL ATR72
DOM ATR72

Are the KIN (via ANU/ SXM) flights still operating?
Do they run the ATR72 to ANU, SLU, SXM from BGI?

Yet another note;
Saw on FB someone stated: "Heads up. CAL's first MAX (9Y-CAL) should be rolling out of the paint shop in Seattle in the coming days".
Not sure if its true?
Cheers,
AA1818

There has been a third eruption in St.Vincent I suspect GAIA will be affected for a bit. Interesting info on CAL if true.


I believe they announced the cancellation of all flights to the eastern Caribbean. On FlightAware you can actually see the plume. Hopefully, there are no deaths in St Vincent from this and the people can do well when its over.
All ah we is one family
 
baje427
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:26 am

caribbean484 wrote:
A388 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

So they are still taking MAXs...factory fresh at that? I though the last statement didnt indicate this? Will this new aircraft have a new interior as well?


I don't know. I'm just hearing their first MAX should be out. I don't know when it will be taken. Due to the huge backlog the MAX's are popping out the factory like hot bread out of an oven :lol:

A388


Yes CAL is getting factory-fresh 737-8MAX from Boeing. 9Y-CAL is expected to arrive in POS in early June should everything go well which means we will be seeing her outside soon. They are supposed to get 4 this year and finish the re-fleeting exercise in early 2023.
They are also negotiating with the leaser to convert 2 738 to cargo a/cs.

Any word on seating configuration or IFE?
 
maverick4002
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:11 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
A388 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

So they are still taking MAXs...factory fresh at that? I though the last statement didnt indicate this? Will this new aircraft have a new interior as well?


I don't know. I'm just hearing their first MAX should be out. I don't know when it will be taken. Due to the huge backlog the MAX's are popping out the factory like hot bread out of an oven :lol:

A388


Yes CAL is getting factory-fresh 737-8MAX from Boeing. 9Y-CAL is expected to arrive in POS in early June should everything go well which means we will be seeing her outside soon. They are supposed to get 4 this year and finish the re-fleeting exercise in early 2023.
They are also negotiating with the leaser to convert 2 738 to cargo a/cs.


Will these new Max's have new interiors and all that? New service? Also they want to run dedicated cargo services now? I suppose they ran the numbers and it makes sense. COVID probably opened up that door. Good for them! I want them to do well
 
caribbean484
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:48 pm

baje427 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
A388 wrote:

I don't know. I'm just hearing their first MAX should be out. I don't know when it will be taken. Due to the huge backlog the MAX's are popping out the factory like hot bread out of an oven :lol:

A388


Yes CAL is getting factory-fresh 737-8MAX from Boeing. 9Y-CAL is expected to arrive in POS in early June should everything go well which means we will be seeing her outside soon. They are supposed to get 4 this year and finish the re-fleeting exercise in early 2023.
They are also negotiating with the leaser to convert 2 738 to cargo a/cs.

Any word on seating configuration or IFE?


maverick4002 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
A388 wrote:

I don't know. I'm just hearing their first MAX should be out. I don't know when it will be taken. Due to the huge backlog the MAX's are popping out the factory like hot bread out of an oven :lol:

A388


Yes CAL is getting factory-fresh 737-8MAX from Boeing. 9Y-CAL is expected to arrive in POS in early June should everything go well which means we will be seeing her outside soon. They are supposed to get 4 this year and finish the re-fleeting exercise in early 2023.
They are also negotiating with the leaser to convert 2 738 to cargo a/cs.


Will these new Max's have new interiors and all that? New service? Also they want to run dedicated cargo services now? I suppose they ran the numbers and it makes sense. COVID probably opened up that door. Good for them! I want them to do well


I'm not 100% sure but the last thing I heard from my source was that they are going to add 2-3 more rows in economy, which means that we may be looking at 162-168 seats with new slim-lined seats.
All MAXs come with the Boeing sky interior. I am not sure on IFE, I think they are dedicated to the BYOD and streaming service. I have not heard anything on PTVs service but will try to get more info in the coming weeks.
All ah we is one family
 
9YCAL
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Any time frame for the Cargo Aircraft for CAL? When I first heard about them the talk was they were coming in January. I guess Corvid delayed the whole process. CAL is set to do well with these aircraft and I wish them all the best.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1194
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:32 pm

After the La Soufrière volcano blew on Friday causing flight cancellations, it looks as if things will start to get back to normal for nearby airports at least. For example, AA's MIA-BGI and MIA-UVF are both scheduled to restart tomorrow (12 April). I've no information on when SVD will reopen.
 
baje427
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:04 pm

gunnerman wrote:
After the La Soufrière volcano blew on Friday causing flight cancellations, it looks as if things will start to get back to normal for nearby airports at least. For example, AA's MIA-BGI and MIA-UVF are both scheduled to restart tomorrow (12 April). I've no information on when SVD will reopen.

The amount of ash falling here in BGI it is unlikely ,the airport is currently covered in ash.
 
DaveMetroD
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:36 pm

The latest satellite image loop shows the brown plume heading for BGI
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=car&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24
 
User avatar
YQBexYHZBGM
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 am

DaveMetroD wrote:
The latest satellite image loop shows the brown plume heading for BGI
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=car&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

Dominica Meteorological Service is reporting the possibility that ash currently being carried toward Barbados on upper level air currents (I would interpret that to mean > 15,000 ft) may descend and be transported northwestward by low level air currents as early as tomorrow. So, that would mean potential impacts for DOM and DCF, and by extension I'd guess potential impacts for PTP and secondary airports in Guadeloupe. No guesses on potential impacts for FDF, if I find any French language reports on the matter I'll post an update.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos