Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
GUYAIR707
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:27 am

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
How likely is reopening of borders in July in view of the imposition a state of emergency and a curfew three weeks ago to contain an increase of COVID-19 cases and related deaths, and with the slow vaccination rollout with under 8% of the population having had at least on dose?

I wondered that myself. But that is what the PM announced. I think they are realizing that the current situation is untenable. It will probably be like it is in some other islands where the borders are open but curfews remain in effect and activity severely limited. I wonder how Trinidad will do traffic wise post reopening. Trinidad is a VFR and business market. And VFR markets in the English speaking Caribbean have been especially weak. As has business travel.



The JFK GEO market is strong. AA and B6 are now daily and BW is up to 4x. This is actually more than in 2019. MIA will be the route which will increase based on oil business so this increase must be VFR. Likely lower fares will generate higher travel.


JetBlue ran 2 flights back to back GEO-JFK Saturday night with AA doing MIA- GEO-JFK and the other flight doing JFK-GEO-MIA. That makes both JFK-GEO and GEO-JFK red eye flights and criss crossing each other. GEO-MIA is an early morning flight so pax can connect to onward flights and the MIA -GEO an evening flights allowing connections in MIA from earlier flights.
 
GUYAIR707
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 am

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
How likely is reopening of borders in July in view of the imposition a state of emergency and a curfew three weeks ago to contain an increase of COVID-19 cases and related deaths, and with the slow vaccination rollout with under 8% of the population having had at least on dose?

I wondered that myself. But that is what the PM announced. I think they are realizing that the current situation is untenable. It will probably be like it is in some other islands where the borders are open but curfews remain in effect and activity severely limited. I wonder how Trinidad will do traffic wise post reopening. Trinidad is a VFR and business market. And VFR markets in the English speaking Caribbean have been especially weak. As has business travel.



The JFK GEO market is strong. AA and B6 are now daily and BW is up to 4x. This is actually more than in 2019. MIA will be the route which will increase based on oil business so this increase must be VFR. Likely lower fares will generate higher travel.


JetBlue ran 2 flights back to back GEO-JFK Saturday night with AA doing MIA- GEO-JFK and the other flight doing JFK-GEO-MIA. That makes both JFK-GEO and GEO-JFK red eye flights and criss crossing each other. GEO-MIA is an early morning flight so pax can connect to onward flights and the MIA -GEO an evening flights allowing connections in MIA from earlier flights.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
I believe TT has secured 800,000 doses of the JJ one shot vaccine, This 800,000 with the already ~100,000 that should be fully vaxxed shortly is enough of the population to achieve herd immunity. This is likely the trigger for the re-opening of borders.

Vaccines are in short supply and the one from Johnson & Johnson is no exception. There will not be a single delivery of 800,000 doses, instead there will be multiple smaller deliveries over a period of time starting in August and I won't expect the final delivery to be made until some time in 2022. On the plus side this is the only single dose vaccine to be approved by the major western regulators.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
JetBlue ran 2 flights back to back GEO-JFK Saturday night with AA doing MIA- GEO-JFK and the other flight doing JFK-GEO-MIA. That makes both JFK-GEO and GEO-JFK red eye flights and criss crossing each other. GEO-MIA is an early morning flight so pax can connect to onward flights and the MIA -GEO an evening flights allowing connections in MIA from earlier flights.


That was because the previous day's flight was cancelled.
 
GUYAIR707
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:03 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
JetBlue ran 2 flights back to back GEO-JFK Saturday night with AA doing MIA- GEO-JFK and the other flight doing JFK-GEO-MIA. That makes both JFK-GEO and GEO-JFK red eye flights and criss crossing each other. GEO-MIA is an early morning flight so pax can connect to onward flights and the MIA -GEO an evening flights allowing connections in MIA from earlier flights.


That was because the previous day's flight was cancelled.


Thank you. I guess they were full flights as they couldn’t cover with one flight.
 
danipawa
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:57 am

RedAir Dominicana just received their AOC..
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:31 pm

danipawa wrote:
RedAir Dominicana just received their AOC..


Will anyone of these Dominican carriers grow to become a major force in Caribbean aviation? Or will they remain bit players running marginal routes. As an example JFK/EWR to STI/SDQ are among the biggest markets in the Caribbean.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Here's a bit of information on flight resumptions from the UK.

Following the UK government's move of T & T from the amber list to the red list on 8 June, here are the scheduled flights from the UK.

12 Jul BA LGW-ANU-POS (weekly) - unchanged
16 Jul BA LGW-ANU-TAB (weekly) - changed from 9 Jul
07 Oct VS LHR-ANU-TAB (weekly) - changed from 1 Jul


Grenada failed in its appeal to get moved from the amber list to the green list, here are the scheduled flights from the UK.

14 Jul BA LGW-ANU-GND on Wednesdays and Saturdays - changed from 23 Jun
16 Jul VS LHR-ANU-GND on Tuesdays and Fridays - changed from 2 Jul
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:45 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Here's a bit of information on flight resumptions from the UK.

Following the UK government's move of T & T from the amber list to the red list on 8 June, here are the scheduled flights from the UK.

12 Jul BA LGW-ANU-POS (weekly) - unchanged
16 Jul BA LGW-ANU-TAB (weekly) - changed from 9 Jul
07 Oct VS LHR-ANU-TAB (weekly) - changed from 1 Jul


Grenada failed in its appeal to get moved from the amber list to the green list, here are the scheduled flights from the UK.

14 Jul BA LGW-ANU-GND on Wednesdays and Saturdays - changed from 23 Jun
16 Jul VS LHR-ANU-GND on Tuesdays and Fridays - changed from 2 Jul


GND will be back to pre pandemic levels if this works out.
 
danipawa
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 am

Skycana is adding a 2nd A321:

Airbus A321 -231 2234 9H-AME Avion Express Malta at VNO 10jun21, basic Thomas Cook cs, Sky Cana billboard titl prior wet-lease ops ex LY-VEA

started flights MIA-PUJ 2 week charter basis.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:07 am

Second CAL 737MAX rolled out today
Image

9Y-CAL made its first test flight today
Image
 
maverick4002
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:44 am

caribbean484 wrote:
Second CAL 737MAX rolled out today
Image

9Y-CAL made its first test flight today
Image


Gosh, why is the livery so basic?? I really hope they add the words Caribbean to the bottom but more importantly the cheat line / wavy line along the fuselage. You can see this in their cartoon ads. The aircraft as is looks a complete embarassment
 
User avatar
YQBexYHZBGM
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Contracts signed for development of the new Dominica International Airport, scheduled to open in 2025:

https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/aviation/billion-dollar-contract-signed-for-international-airport-first-flight-expected-in-2025/
Photos: https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/homepage/news/in-pictures-contract-signing-for-international-airport/

I did not realize that the Woodford Hill area would be affected. I hope my favourite beach doesn't end up on the side of the runway, or within the secure zone.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Caribbean Airlines has reported an operating loss of US$109.2m on revenues of US$118.6m for the year ending 31 December 2020 compared with a profit of US$11.2m on revenues of US$440m in 2019. Passengers carried were a mere 741,676 compared with 2,595,526. As T & T's borders are still closed since March 2020 and the revival of the world's economy being sluggish, 2021 will be another difficult year for the airline.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Yesterday (12 June) a Trinidad and Tobago Air Guard Fixed Wing Squadron aircraft transported 8,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from Grenada and 5,500 AstraZeneca vaccines from St Vincent and the Grenadines to Trinidad despite these countries having fully vaccinated under 9% and 7% respectively of their adult populations. It seems as if these governments failed to vaccinate enough of their citizens and gifted the surplus vaccines before their expiry dates.
 
baje427
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:43 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Yesterday (12 June) a Trinidad and Tobago Air Guard Fixed Wing Squadron aircraft transported 8,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from Grenada and 5,500 AstraZeneca vaccines from St Vincent and the Grenadines to Trinidad despite these countries having fully vaccinated under 9% and 7% respectively of their adult populations. It seems as if these governments failed to vaccinate enough of their citizens and gifted the surplus vaccines before their expiry dates.

No surprise there a lot of people are hesitant taking these vaccines.
 
DaveMetroD
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:53 pm

Dominica is going to build an airport with a southeast orientation on the northeast coast?
Hope they don't use the same people that built the St Helena airport or Cane Field.
It sure seems to be a setup where the crosswinds are going to be a factor.
 
9YCAL
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:55 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
Second CAL 737MAX rolled out today
Image

9Y-CAL made its first test flight today
Image


Gosh, why is the livery so basic?? I really hope they add the words Caribbean to the bottom but more importantly the cheat line / wavy line along the fuselage. You can see this in their cartoon ads. The aircraft as is looks a complete embarassment


What would the registration be for this aircraft?
 
caribbean484
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:35 am

9YCAL wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
Second CAL 737MAX rolled out today
Image

9Y-CAL made its first test flight today
Image


Gosh, why is the livery so basic?? I really hope they add the words Caribbean to the bottom but more importantly the cheat line / wavy line along the fuselage. You can see this in their cartoon ads. The aircraft as is looks a complete embarassment


What would the registration be for this aircraft?


It's reportedly 9Y-GUY

DaveMetroD wrote:
Dominica is going to build an airport with a southeast orientation on the northeast coast?
Hope they don't use the same people that built the St Helena airport or Cane Field.
It sure seems to be a setup where the crosswinds are going to be a factor.


I ready about that and I saw news of it last week that they signed a contract

https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/avi ... d-in-2025/

CAPA has a good analysis of the situation and where it will be located, it seems that they will locate the airport north of DOM where there is enough flat lands.
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ort-542317
 
DaveMetroD
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:52 am

caribbean484 wrote:

CAPA has a good analysis of the situation and where it will be located, it seems that they will locate the airport north of DOM where there is enough flat lands.
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ort-542317


Except their was absolutely no discussion regarding those tall volcanic peaks and what they do to the wind currents.
You would expect the experts to know about those things but yet the St. Helena Airport was built and quickly discovered to have windshear issues.
And Dominica already has experience along those lines after Canefield Airport was built.

You want to build the runway into the prevailing wind.
On Dominica, the prevailing wind is northeasterly/easterly with the trade winds, not southeast, therefore the potential goes up for not being able to land due to crosswinds.
https://weatherspark.com/y/28691/Average-Weather-in-Roseau-Dominica-Year-Round#Sections-Wind
 
BW985
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:29 pm

BW will restart GEO-MIA flights on Wednesday:
https://www.caribbean-airlines.com/#/ca ... leases/409
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:40 am

BW985 wrote:
BW will restart GEO-MIA flights on Wednesday:
https://www.caribbean-airlines.com/#/ca ... leases/409

Best of luck to them with this. I don’t see a once weekly flight as particularly appealing when AA is on the route daily and has more seamless connections on the MIA end. However, who knows? Maybe AA has pissed off enough people with its customer service or lack thereof that there is a market for that anti-AA crowd.
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:11 am

Brickell305 wrote:
BW985 wrote:
BW will restart GEO-MIA flights on Wednesday:
https://www.caribbean-airlines.com/#/ca ... leases/409

Best of luck to them with this. I don’t see a once weekly flight as particularly appealing when AA is on the route daily and has more seamless connections on the MIA end. However, who knows? Maybe AA has pissed off enough people with its customer service or lack thereof that there is a market for that anti-AA crowd.


As a 1x weekly this will be aimed at the VFR market who spend at least a week so can deal with this low frequency. I do not know if PY is still on the route (they have been having some issues with their planes, so maybe BW will replace them.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:24 am

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
BW985 wrote:
BW will restart GEO-MIA flights on Wednesday:
https://www.caribbean-airlines.com/#/ca ... leases/409

Best of luck to them with this. I don’t see a once weekly flight as particularly appealing when AA is on the route daily and has more seamless connections on the MIA end. However, who knows? Maybe AA has pissed off enough people with its customer service or lack thereof that there is a market for that anti-AA crowd.


As a 1x weekly this will be aimed at the VFR market who spend at least a week so can deal with this low frequency. I do not know if PY is still on the route (they have been having some issues with their planes, so maybe BW will replace them.


Not sure what's up with PY, but I saw somewhere that their lone 737-700 got repossessed recently. That certainly can't be good news. Hope it all works out for them soon.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:50 am

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
BW985 wrote:
BW will restart GEO-MIA flights on Wednesday:
https://www.caribbean-airlines.com/#/ca ... leases/409

Best of luck to them with this. I don’t see a once weekly flight as particularly appealing when AA is on the route daily and has more seamless connections on the MIA end. However, who knows? Maybe AA has pissed off enough people with its customer service or lack thereof that there is a market for that anti-AA crowd.


As a 1x weekly this will be aimed at the VFR market who spend at least a week so can deal with this low frequency. I do not know if PY is still on the route (they have been having some issues with their planes, so maybe BW will replace them.

I definitely get that there are VFR pax who will be traveling for a week plus. However, at 1x weekly, you still have to wait around for that specific day to do so whereas on AA, I can choose to fly Monday to Monday, Saturday to Saturday, etc. and still have the Wednesday to Wednesday option. That leads me to believe that the only way they fill that plane is by undercutting on price to make up for the lack of convenience. That play seems strangely timed to me as I could understand adding a flight like this if POS borders had no reopening in sight and you were looking to generate revenue somewhere. However, it’s already been announced that POS will be reopening. Presumably, their focus should be there. Why try this now? Six months ago, maybe. Now, this just seems like a strange add.
 
BW985
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:15 pm

I also found it very odd that a new routing (BW GEO to MIA) would start at such short notice, but then I read this on Suriname Airlines Facebook page:

Een bekendmaking speciaal gericht naar de reizigers van vlucht PY421/422.

De geplande vlucht, PBM-GEO-MIA v.v. van heden 15 juni 2021 zal nu op 16 juni 2021 worden uitgevoerd in samenwerking met Caribbean Airlines.
Vliegschema:
➡️ PBM- GEO - MIA
(Vertrek PBM 9.00 uur - aankomst MIA 15.00 uur)
⬅️ MIA-GEO-PBM
(Vertrek MIA 17.00 uur- aankomst PBM 17 juni 01:05 uur)

Wij zijn te bereiken via [email protected]

Onze verontschuldiging voor het ongerief!

Team Surinam Airways

Online translation:

A publication specifically aimed at travellers of flight PY 42aster/ 422.

The scheduled flight, PBM-GEO-MIA v.v. From today 15 June 2021 will now be implemented on 16 June 2021 in collaboration with Caribbean Airlines.
Flight schedule:
➡️ PBM-GEO - MIA
(Departure PBM 9.00 h - arrival MIA 15.00 h)
⬅️ MIA-GEO-PBM
(Departure MIA 17.00 hr arrival PBM 17 june 01:05 hr)

We can be reached via [email protected]

Our apologies for the inconvenience!

Team Surinam Airways
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:48 pm

BW985 wrote:
I also found it very odd that a new routing (BW GEO to MIA) would start at such short notice, but then I read this on Suriname Airlines Facebook page:

Een bekendmaking speciaal gericht naar de reizigers van vlucht PY421/422.

De geplande vlucht, PBM-GEO-MIA v.v. van heden 15 juni 2021 zal nu op 16 juni 2021 worden uitgevoerd in samenwerking met Caribbean Airlines.
Vliegschema:
➡️ PBM- GEO - MIA
(Vertrek PBM 9.00 uur - aankomst MIA 15.00 uur)
⬅️ MIA-GEO-PBM
(Vertrek MIA 17.00 uur- aankomst PBM 17 juni 01:05 uur)

Wij zijn te bereiken via [email protected]

Onze verontschuldiging voor het ongerief!

Team Surinam Airways

Online translation:

A publication specifically aimed at travellers of flight PY 42aster/ 422.

The scheduled flight, PBM-GEO-MIA v.v. From today 15 June 2021 will now be implemented on 16 June 2021 in collaboration with Caribbean Airlines.
Flight schedule:
➡️ PBM-GEO - MIA
(Departure PBM 9.00 h - arrival MIA 15.00 h)
⬅️ MIA-GEO-PBM
(Departure MIA 17.00 hr arrival PBM 17 june 01:05 hr)

We can be reached via [email protected]

Our apologies for the inconvenience!

Team Surinam Airways

Makes more sense now.
 
caribbean484
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Best of luck to them with this. I don’t see a once weekly flight as particularly appealing when AA is on the route daily and has more seamless connections on the MIA end. However, who knows? Maybe AA has pissed off enough people with its customer service or lack thereof that there is a market for that anti-AA crowd.


As a 1x weekly this will be aimed at the VFR market who spend at least a week so can deal with this low frequency. I do not know if PY is still on the route (they have been having some issues with their planes, so maybe BW will replace them.


Not sure what's up with PY, but I saw somewhere that their lone 737-700 got repossessed recently. That certainly can't be good news. Hope it all works out for them soon.


Brickell305 wrote:
BW985 wrote:
I also found it very odd that a new routing (BW GEO to MIA) would start at such short notice, but then I read this on Suriname Airlines Facebook page:

Een bekendmaking speciaal gericht naar de reizigers van vlucht PY421/422.

De geplande vlucht, PBM-GEO-MIA v.v. van heden 15 juni 2021 zal nu op 16 juni 2021 worden uitgevoerd in samenwerking met Caribbean Airlines.
Vliegschema:
➡️ PBM- GEO - MIA
(Vertrek PBM 9.00 uur - aankomst MIA 15.00 uur)
⬅️ MIA-GEO-PBM
(Vertrek MIA 17.00 uur- aankomst PBM 17 juni 01:05 uur)

Wij zijn te bereiken via [email protected]

Onze verontschuldiging voor het ongerief!

Team Surinam Airways

Online translation:

A publication specifically aimed at travellers of flight PY 42aster/ 422.

The scheduled flight, PBM-GEO-MIA v.v. From today 15 June 2021 will now be implemented on 16 June 2021 in collaboration with Caribbean Airlines.
Flight schedule:
➡️ PBM-GEO - MIA
(Departure PBM 9.00 h - arrival MIA 15.00 h)
⬅️ MIA-GEO-PBM
(Departure MIA 17.00 hr arrival PBM 17 june 01:05 hr)

We can be reached via [email protected]

Our apologies for the inconvenience!

Team Surinam Airways

Makes more sense now.


When I saw the quick date I was wonder if there was some event coming up to have the demand, because there is no way to get good loads in two days. But it makes sense now that if PY is having issues that CAL will take up the slack since this is only running for one month.
It seems that after 14th July when the POS boarders are expected to be reopened they will continue their daily GEO-POS-MIA flights
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:58 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Best of luck to them with this. I don’t see a once weekly flight as particularly appealing when AA is on the route daily and has more seamless connections on the MIA end. However, who knows? Maybe AA has pissed off enough people with its customer service or lack thereof that there is a market for that anti-AA crowd.


As a 1x weekly this will be aimed at the VFR market who spend at least a week so can deal with this low frequency. I do not know if PY is still on the route (they have been having some issues with their planes, so maybe BW will replace them.


Not sure what's up with PY, but I saw somewhere that their lone 737-700 got repossessed recently. That certainly can't be good news. Hope it all works out for them soon.


Given that Suriname has semi closed borders and PY have had plane problems on their key AMS PBM route, so must have lost market share to KL, they must be in dire financial shape. The gov't of Suriname is already indebted so cannot support them in the way that BW has been helped by the T&T gpv't

I have always wondered why BW and PY didnt work together on PYs CARICOM and MIA routes. That will leave PY to focus on solving its Trans Atlantic problems and Fly Allways can handle the other routes out of PBM.

If PYs route to Belem is profitable then maybe BW can take that over too using the same arrangement. There does seem to be more Latin American involvement in the English speaking Caribbean these days, both as immigrants and as investors. Banks beer Barbados is now owned by a company out of the DR. Some T&T companies do business with Latin Americans.
 
danipawa
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:40 am

Sky High is adding Guadaluope and Martinica from SDQ starting July 4 and 5 with ERJ145

Skycana added a 2nd A321, landed at SDQ yesterday

RedAir added a 4th MD82 from Laser Venezuela
 
baje427
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:08 am

danipawa wrote:
Sky High is adding Guadaluope and Martinica from SDQ starting July 4 and 5 with ERJ145

Skycana added a 2nd A321, landed at SDQ yesterday

RedAir added a 4th MD82 from Laser Venezuela

Interesting is RedAir purchasing these aircraft or leasing them ?
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 pm

https://www.nationnews.com/2021/06/16/g ... covid-era/

CAL will have to make changes. No more from T&T. With GEO routes generating less revenue pre COVID where will they go? To what degree will competitors re-enter POS?
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:52 pm

There's more than a hint that CAL is not as efficient as it should be, and this is crunch time as further big bailouts will not be available, and payments will need to be made to the lessors of the 737-800s and eventually the 12 737 MAX 8s. The main problem is that little Caribbean carriers struggle to compete with the north American giants who operate from their huge hubs which enable both traffic feed and efficient usage of aircraft and crews. The situation with Europe is also bleak as there is no prospect of going against BA (which plans to operate this winter its usual 5x weekly LGW-UVF-POS and 2x weekly LGW-ANU-TAB), VS (LHR-ANU-TAB weekly and LHR-BGI-TAB weekly) or DE (FRA-TAB weekly). Remember that CAL had to axe its loss-making POS-LGW flights and its predecessor BWIA failed to make money on POS-LHR via BGI, ANU and UVF despite backing from tour operators such as Kuoni.

I think CAL will be able to keep a few POS routes going especially where the VFR traffic prefers using its local airline and some will buy a Flex, Biz or Biz Flex ticket and get a second bag at no additional cost. I've said it before and I'll say it again: in a sensible world CAL and LIAT should combine their fleets and operations as quite clearly there would be operational and other efficiencies to be made, but Caribbean politics can rarely be seen as sensible
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:21 pm

LI will stay as is and that is a carrier connecting the northeast Caribbean with the southeast. BW will likely replace them within the southeast Caribbean. They already have out of OGL/GEO. What will be interesting will be what BW does with its KIN base. They can no longer afford the losses. BW is being squeezed out of GEO, as I said a few weeks ago. JFK is being carved up between AA and B6 with BW confined to a few loyal passengers. I really do not see how JFK BGI can work and with POS reopening I suspect they will abandon that project.

Hopefully POS will be enough to keep a smaller BW viable. Also its cargo operations seem to be doing OK so maybe some of the 737s can be converted to freighters instead of using the chartered 767s.
 
trini81
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:42 pm

CARIBBEAN AIRLINES announces its strategic restructure

"These steps include major cost reductions in all areas of the airline's operations, specifically its human resource complement, its fleet and other assets, and its route network.
As part of the streamlining strategy, the number of jets in the fleet will be reduced, for the time being, over the course of 2021. Its route network will also be adjusted to reflect the changing market.
In terms of employees, the airline has determined that 25% of its workforce or about 450 positions throughout its network is surplus to its current needs. The Company will embark on consultation with the employees and other stakeholders, with respect to treating with this surplus labour situation."

https://www.facebook.com/caribbeanairli ... 0802200651

Link to media release only available on facebook for now.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:19 pm

trini81 wrote:
CARIBBEAN AIRLINES announces its strategic restructure

"These steps include major cost reductions in all areas of the airline's operations, specifically its human resource complement, its fleet and other assets, and its route network.
As part of the streamlining strategy, the number of jets in the fleet will be reduced, for the time being, over the course of 2021. Its route network will also be adjusted to reflect the changing market.
In terms of employees, the airline has determined that 25% of its workforce or about 450 positions throughout its network is surplus to its current needs. The Company will embark on consultation with the employees and other stakeholders, with respect to treating with this surplus labour situation."

https://www.facebook.com/caribbeanairli ... 0802200651

Link to media release only available on facebook for now.

Not surprising. I’m certain the bulk of this will be felt in Jamaica as they have effectively been pigeonholed there.
 
maverick4002
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:21 pm

trini81 wrote:
CARIBBEAN AIRLINES announces its strategic restructure

"These steps include major cost reductions in all areas of the airline's operations, specifically its human resource complement, its fleet and other assets, and its route network.
As part of the streamlining strategy, the number of jets in the fleet will be reduced, for the time being, over the course of 2021. Its route network will also be adjusted to reflect the changing market.
In terms of employees, the airline has determined that 25% of its workforce or about 450 positions throughout its network is surplus to its current needs. The Company will embark on consultation with the employees and other stakeholders, with respect to treating with this surplus labour situation."

https://www.facebook.com/caribbeanairli ... 0802200651

Link to media release only available on facebook for now.


Tough for those affected but it needs to be done as the passengers and volume just isnt there at the moment. Like the other poster said, this may be Jamaica focus. ~waits for complaints about being a trini airline
 
fowlr29
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:43 pm

WM relaunches EIS flights and other updates:

EIS: Today marked the first scheduled flight from SXM to EIS for Winair since March last year. Flights will run with the DHC6 on MThFSSun, 2x per day. Flights will connect to the majority of the rest of the network, including ANU and DOM.

DOM/SJU: WM will also be restarting, in conjunction with 3S, PPR - DOM - SXM- SJU with the ATR42. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from July. The DHC6 will be removed from DOM and DOM-ANU has also been stopped. Passengers must transit SXM (which I'm sure they will just take LI instead)

CUR/BON/AUA: Curacao and Aruba flights with the ATR42 currently are operating 2x per week. Mondays and Fridays. From August flights will increase to four times a week, with the addition of Bonaire on Wednesdays. This will also mark the first scheduled return to Bonaire for the company since March 2020. Routings on MFSun are SXM - CUR - AUA return. Wednesdays are SXM - CUR - BON.

PAP: Haiti flights are also increasing from September. Flights will run weekly on Thursdays until September, with 2x weekly from then; Tuesdays and Saturdays with the ATR42.

SDQ: Flights to Santo Domingo return from July, 2x a week Tuesdays and Sundays with the ATR42. Flights on Sundays will also connect to Antigua.

SBH: St. Barths flights seem to be increasing constantly. Some days have 8x, some 13x with the DHC6.

EUX/SAB: Flights to Saba and St Eustatius return to daily from July, some days 2x in the day with the DHC6.



Safe to say that WM is adding back capacity, not at 100% from pre-covid levels, but it's definitely up there. All destinations served pre-covid will be operating from July. Wouldn't be surprised to see another aircraft addition by November for the region's high season. SXM had 60K arrivals in May, more than May 2019, and which is also typically a slow month.
 
danipawa
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:08 am

Sky High Dominicana is launching SDQ-PTP/FDF starting Jul4 and 5, 2 weekly ERJ145
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:59 am

fowlr29 wrote:
WM relaunches EIS flights and other updates:

EIS: Today marked the first scheduled flight from SXM to EIS for Winair since March last year. Flights will run with the DHC6 on MThFSSun, 2x per day. Flights will connect to the majority of the rest of the network, including ANU and DOM.

DOM/SJU: WM will also be restarting, in conjunction with 3S, PPR - DOM - SXM- SJU with the ATR42. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from July. The DHC6 will be removed from DOM and DOM-ANU has also been stopped. Passengers must transit SXM (which I'm sure they will just take LI instead)

CUR/BON/AUA: Curacao and Aruba flights with the ATR42 currently are operating 2x per week. Mondays and Fridays. From August flights will increase to four times a week, with the addition of Bonaire on Wednesdays. This will also mark the first scheduled return to Bonaire for the company since March 2020. Routings on MFSun are SXM - CUR - AUA return. Wednesdays are SXM - CUR - BON.

PAP: Haiti flights are also increasing from September. Flights will run weekly on Thursdays until September, with 2x weekly from then; Tuesdays and Saturdays with the ATR42.

SDQ: Flights to Santo Domingo return from July, 2x a week Tuesdays and Sundays with the ATR42. Flights on Sundays will also connect to Antigua.

SBH: St. Barths flights seem to be increasing constantly. Some days have 8x, some 13x with the DHC6.

EUX/SAB: Flights to Saba and St Eustatius return to daily from July, some days 2x in the day with the DHC6.



Safe to say that WM is adding back capacity, not at 100% from pre-covid levels, but it's definitely up there. All destinations served pre-covid will be operating from July. Wouldn't be surprised to see another aircraft addition by November for the region's high season. SXM had 60K arrivals in May, more than May 2019, and which is also typically a slow month.



No SKB and no surprise given their strict quarantine combined with the recent community spread on that island. They clearly have one of the recent variants.
 
fowlr29
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:11 am

caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:
WM relaunches EIS flights and other updates:

EIS: Today marked the first scheduled flight from SXM to EIS for Winair since March last year. Flights will run with the DHC6 on MThFSSun, 2x per day. Flights will connect to the majority of the rest of the network, including ANU and DOM.

DOM/SJU: WM will also be restarting, in conjunction with 3S, PPR - DOM - SXM- SJU with the ATR42. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from July. The DHC6 will be removed from DOM and DOM-ANU has also been stopped. Passengers must transit SXM (which I'm sure they will just take LI instead)

CUR/BON/AUA: Curacao and Aruba flights with the ATR42 currently are operating 2x per week. Mondays and Fridays. From August flights will increase to four times a week, with the addition of Bonaire on Wednesdays. This will also mark the first scheduled return to Bonaire for the company since March 2020. Routings on MFSun are SXM - CUR - AUA return. Wednesdays are SXM - CUR - BON.

PAP: Haiti flights are also increasing from September. Flights will run weekly on Thursdays until September, with 2x weekly from then; Tuesdays and Saturdays with the ATR42.

SDQ: Flights to Santo Domingo return from July, 2x a week Tuesdays and Sundays with the ATR42. Flights on Sundays will also connect to Antigua.

SBH: St. Barths flights seem to be increasing constantly. Some days have 8x, some 13x with the DHC6.

EUX/SAB: Flights to Saba and St Eustatius return to daily from July, some days 2x in the day with the DHC6.



Safe to say that WM is adding back capacity, not at 100% from pre-covid levels, but it's definitely up there. All destinations served pre-covid will be operating from July. Wouldn't be surprised to see another aircraft addition by November for the region's high season. SXM had 60K arrivals in May, more than May 2019, and which is also typically a slow month.



No SKB and no surprise given their strict quarantine combined with the recent community spread on that island. They clearly have one of the recent variants.



They definitely do. Travel from SKB to SXM is also not allowed currently. SXM added them to the banned list recently.

WM won't return until quarantine is removed.
 
caribny
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:47 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:09 am

fowlr29 wrote:
caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:
WM relaunches EIS flights and other updates:

EIS: Today marked the first scheduled flight from SXM to EIS for Winair since March last year. Flights will run with the DHC6 on MThFSSun, 2x per day. Flights will connect to the majority of the rest of the network, including ANU and DOM.

DOM/SJU: WM will also be restarting, in conjunction with 3S, PPR - DOM - SXM- SJU with the ATR42. Flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from July. The DHC6 will be removed from DOM and DOM-ANU has also been stopped. Passengers must transit SXM (which I'm sure they will just take LI instead)

CUR/BON/AUA: Curacao and Aruba flights with the ATR42 currently are operating 2x per week. Mondays and Fridays. From August flights will increase to four times a week, with the addition of Bonaire on Wednesdays. This will also mark the first scheduled return to Bonaire for the company since March 2020. Routings on MFSun are SXM - CUR - AUA return. Wednesdays are SXM - CUR - BON.

PAP: Haiti flights are also increasing from September. Flights will run weekly on Thursdays until September, with 2x weekly from then; Tuesdays and Saturdays with the ATR42.

SDQ: Flights to Santo Domingo return from July, 2x a week Tuesdays and Sundays with the ATR42. Flights on Sundays will also connect to Antigua.

SBH: St. Barths flights seem to be increasing constantly. Some days have 8x, some 13x with the DHC6.

EUX/SAB: Flights to Saba and St Eustatius return to daily from July, some days 2x in the day with the DHC6.



Safe to say that WM is adding back capacity, not at 100% from pre-covid levels, but it's definitely up there. All destinations served pre-covid will be operating from July. Wouldn't be surprised to see another aircraft addition by November for the region's high season. SXM had 60K arrivals in May, more than May 2019, and which is also typically a slow month.



No SKB and no surprise given their strict quarantine combined with the recent community spread on that island. They clearly have one of the recent variants.



They definitely do. Travel from SKB to SXM is also not allowed currently. SXM added them to the banned list recently.

WM won't return until quarantine is removed.



Life is interesting. SKB used to use SXM as a test case for Covid pandemic gone wrong.
 
baje427
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:23 pm

Hopefully SKB can get the situation under control it took BGI nearly six months to get the situation sorted. I was playing around with a few travel dates in October and noticed CAL is showing up a bit with connections through POS . I would be sceptical booking with them but they are coming up cheaper than AA on some flights.
 
baje427
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:58 pm

AA operated a proving flight into DOM using the E175 I don't think it will be much longer before DOM is served from MIA.
 
Zidane
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Envoy Air performed a proving flight to DOM on the E175 today.

Arrival
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /MDSD/TDPD

Departure
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /TDPD/KMIA
 
GUYAIR707
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:55 pm

Flew AA to MIA yesterday. Just from observation, so not scientific, there were about 20% Spanish speaking pax and another 20% white expats. The rest were Guyanese. It was a full flight.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:56 pm

baje427 wrote:
AA operated a proving flight into DOM using the E175 I don't think it will be much longer before DOM is served from MIA.
Zidane wrote:
Envoy Air performed a proving flight to DOM on the E175 today.

Arrival
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /MDSD/TDPD

Departure
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /TDPD/KMIA

If they can get flights from MIA at the current airport, it kinda makes the new airport project seem like a waste. DOM doesn't need a lot of airlift and is unlikely to ever attract much even with an international airport.
 
LimaFoxTango
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
AA operated a proving flight into DOM using the E175 I don't think it will be much longer before DOM is served from MIA.
Zidane wrote:
Envoy Air performed a proving flight to DOM on the E175 today.

Arrival
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /MDSD/TDPD

Departure
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ENY ... /TDPD/KMIA

If they can get flights from MIA at the current airport, it kinda makes the new airport project seem like a waste. DOM doesn't need a lot of airlift and is unlikely to ever attract much even with an international airport.


Clearly they're looking long term. Classic "build it and they will come" situation a la SVD. Im sure they'll love to see something better than an E175 from MIA.
 
User avatar
YQBexYHZBGM
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
If they can get flights from MIA at the current airport, it kinda makes the new airport project seem like a waste. DOM doesn't need a lot of airlift and is unlikely to ever attract much even with an international airport.

Agreed. I'm not sure DOM really needs nonstop flights to the UK or other European destinations, or even US destinations further afield than MIA, but MIA is a no-brainer and I'm sure it will be a success. Sure, foreign inbound traffic will still be needed to ensure profitable loads, but I'm sure Dominicans will welcome the opportunities for VFR and, perhaps more importantly, retail purchases to bring home.
 
Zidane
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 am

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:24 pm

YQBexYHZBGM wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
If they can get flights from MIA at the current airport, it kinda makes the new airport project seem like a waste. DOM doesn't need a lot of airlift and is unlikely to ever attract much even with an international airport.

Agreed. I'm not sure DOM really needs nonstop flights to the UK or other European destinations, or even US destinations further afield than MIA, but MIA is a no-brainer and I'm sure it will be a success. Sure, foreign inbound traffic will still be needed to ensure profitable loads, but I'm sure Dominicans will welcome the opportunities for VFR and, perhaps more importantly, retail purchases to bring home.


Such a flight would likely be upped to an A319 soon enough, people in that part of the world don't pack lightly. The LAA units are very capable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos