Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Caymanair

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:51 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Caymanair wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from but as explained many times already, the schedule is what the GORTT is thinks it can handle from the airlines; so if BW is getting 4w rest assure B6 and AA will also have to present 4w flights from JFK and MIA.

As I mentioned it's either the borders are opened or closed, the Government should not be in the business of dictating demand for airlines at any time, however we have a group of people that like the idea of heavy fisted control.

On a better footing hearing that the cuts at BW is significantly reduced from the 450 put out as demand is looking up sooner, so we will see how this will play out.

In this case it is not a matter of government economic control. This is a health matter. So it is sensible to allow inbound arrival capacity based on the capacity of health authorities to test, trace, and treat. Throwing the doors open would be reckless.

Ok, but how do you devise a system that is fair an equitable to all, given not all airlines are equal? Whatever system is put in place may give an unfair advantage to one airline over the next. For example, limiting flights say to JFK to 1x daily, will advantage BW over say B6. I agree with caribbean484, the borders are either opened or they're not.

It's not an economic decision. If you can handle X number of arrivals per week, then you can divide up between interested carriers that meet your standards. That could be airlines willing to limit capacity, airlines not requiring staff to ON (or to quarantine before leaving), those willing to accept additional screening etc. If that means just BW then so be it. And you also have to be realistic... BW is the most important carrier to TT from both a commercial and a strategic point of view, so it should get some level of preference. The few services a week won't make the carrier profitable and it won't disadvantage B6 or AA, who will do well as things recover regardless.

You also need to ensure broad airlift, and not just airlift which private interests profit most from.... and I imagine that means limiting routes with lots of demand (like JFK) in order to make sure that at least some airlift is provided elsewhere.

In 'normal' times this wouldn't be the way to go, but this is an experimental reopening process and careful regulation in the national best interest is more important that a free market for people looking for jaunts overseas, I think.

aa1818

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:32 pm

Barbados has just created a list of countries for arriving passengers requiring mandatory 7 day quarantine with additional testing; Trinidad & Tobago has been added to that list.
I am sure that is going to be a thorn for BW to deal with now as I understand that POS-BGI was looking quite strong.
A major set-back just as T&T's borders are set to open.

AA1818

maverick4002

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:33 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Caymanair wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from but as explained many times already, the schedule is what the GORTT is thinks it can handle from the airlines; so if BW is getting 4w rest assure B6 and AA will also have to present 4w flights from JFK and MIA.

As I mentioned it's either the borders are opened or closed, the Government should not be in the business of dictating demand for airlines at any time, however we have a group of people that like the idea of heavy fisted control.

On a better footing hearing that the cuts at BW is significantly reduced from the 450 put out as demand is looking up sooner, so we will see how this will play out.

In this case it is not a matter of government economic control. This is a health matter. So it is sensible to allow inbound arrival capacity based on the capacity of health authorities to test, trace, and treat. Throwing the doors open would be reckless.

Ok, but how do you devise a system that is fair an equitable to all, given not all airlines are equal? Whatever system is put in place may give an unfair advantage to one airline over the next. For example, limiting flights say to JFK to 1x daily, will advantage BW over say B6. I agree with caribbean484, the borders are either opened or they're not.

Huh? Firstly, to be frank, BW is a TT airline so no one gives a crap if the schedule favors BW over B6. B6 got a gajillion dollars from the US govt, why isnt anyone mentioning that advantage? Secondly, and more generally speaking. The borders are open. It may not be open to your liking (which is fair) but its open and based on reports, or lack thereof so far, its open the same to everyone. So BW could do 4w per JFK, so can B6 and maybe UA or whoever. Its open for all intents and purposes

baje427

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:34 pm

aa1818 wrote:
Barbados has just created a list of countries for arriving passengers requiring mandatory 7 day quarantine with additional testing; Trinidad & Tobago has been added to that list.
I am sure that is going to be a thorn for BW to deal with now as I understand that POS-BGI was looking quite strong.

AA1818

I'd be interested in the type of traffic driving sales on this route in this new environment. BGI's tourism sector isn't like it was pre Covid there is little to no night life and I'm sure most business is being done virtually.

Brickell305

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:50 pm

baje427 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:

AA1818

I'd be interested in the type of traffic driving sales on this route in this new environment. BGI's tourism sector isn't like it was pre Covid there is little to no night life and I'm sure most business is being done virtually.

My guess:

- VFR who haven’t been able to visit family since the lockdown started.
- university students

I doubt there’s much if any business or pure leisure due to the Barbados curfew, lack of events and other restrictions.

I don’t see the quarantine stopping the VFR or student crowd from traveling. The initial post reopen rush should continue.

caribny

Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:43 am

aa1818 wrote:

Rest assured, your dislike of BW will not hinder it from returning to it's normal schedule in the future, but for now, just accept that T&T's 'border reopening" is clearly not a free for all, there are restrictions (which is the big unknown).

AA1818

You or someone else contested my comments about BW losing ground on the GEO market. Well here we are. The usual nonsense that Guyanese are "die hard fans of BW and would never leave them, unlike those traitorous Jamaicans". JFK GEO is running at levels HIGHER than pre pandemic and BW has a scant 15-20% market share on a route that they used to thoroughly dominate. It is running a distant 3rd, so where will they be when the market goes into the usual Sept-Nov hiatus? Where are all of those "loyal" Guyanese travelers now that both B6 and AA are at daily

I say what I say out of my analysis. Long ago I said that they would be blasted out of Jamaica. I was called anti T&T. I then said the same would happen to them at GEO. I was called a BW hater. All BW has left is their VFR markets into TT. Will that be squandered too because BW cannot show the TT gov't that they cannot be viable if they do not service these markets?

Every VFR market out of the NY area to the English speaking Caribbean is now almost back to normal. Do you suggest that Trinis in NY hate TT and are the only Caribbean people who do not want to travel home? It seems to me as if protecting the crucial JFK POS market is MORE important than letting rich kids travel to MCO.

I would have thought that a daily JFK POS aimed at the crucial TT VFR market would be more important than rich kids wanting to do Disney rides. If TT govt thinks that travel from the USA is so dangerous what about those kids returning from Disney located in a state where its governor cares little about pandemic protocols. Wouldnt these returning TT folks not bring in as much disease as would the kids of NY area TT folks who havent seen their grandmothers for more than a year?

I maintain that the TT VFR market is disrespected by the govt of TT, because they feel that "TT rich so they dont need them". Every response to my comments deepens this and I especially love the little wealthy darlings who must NOT be deprived of Mickey Mouse!

caribny

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:05 am

Brickell305 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:

AA1818

My guess:

- university students

I doubt there’s much if any business or pure leisure due to the Barbados curfew, lack of events and other restrictions.

I don’t see the quarantine stopping the VFR or student crowd from traveling. The initial post reopen rush should continue.

Leisure travel, at least from the USA to the Caribbean, is focused on the islands which are opened. DR is doing well as are PR and the USVI. Jamaica reports that they are 80% back.

So any island which isnt an all inclusive place and/or with no nightlife will be given a pass. I only wonder how many UK visitors will travel to BGI under those conditions, as they in particular have been bedeviled by heavy lock downs and will be extremely unhappy if all they can do at night is watch TV.

I also suggest that people in the Caribbean stop thinking that the foreigner is to blame. That ship sailed since last year. The pandemic is now mainly due to community spread, made worse by those who refuse to reduce risk by vaccinating. The pandemic is in these islands, and as someone mentioned church allowed more spread than the flights landing at BGI. In order to enter BGI one must adhere to protocols. Do protocols exist to go to church on an island where Covid is now entrenched? Anti vaxxers are a bigger threat.
Last edited by caribny on Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

baje427

Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:17 am

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

My guess:

- university students

Leisure travel, at least from the USA to the Caribbean, is focused on the islands which are opened. DR is doing well as are PR and the USVI. Jamaica reports that they are 80% back.

So any island which isnt an all inclusive place and/or with no nightlife will be given a pass. I only wonder how many UK visitors will travel to BGI under those conditions, as they in particular have been bedeviled by heavy lock downs and will be extremely unhappy of all they can do at night is watch TV.

There is currently no "legitimate " night life in BGI given the curfew. Covid cases on the island are once again on the rise coupled with the Delta variant it's unlikely there will be nightlife in BGI for a while.

aa1818

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:54 am

baje427 wrote:
There is currently no "legitimate " night life in BGI given the curfew. Covid cases on the island are once again on the rise coupled with the Delta variant it's unlikely there will be nightlife in BGI for a while.

Not sure where in Barbados you are based- or what experience you are speaking from. Living in Holetown, for the past few months, nightlife in full swing. This curfew is two weeks and Friday and Saturday crowds still out and leaving in time for curfew.
Proprietors in Second Street and up and down the west coast are still seeing solid numbers for dinner, drinks etc.
Perhaps it's slower on the South Coast, if that's where you're based.

AA1818

caribbean484

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:23 pm

As mentioned above VS will be increasing flights to the Caribbean with the UK giving new green color to some destinations GND, ANU and BGI, with BGI getting daily A350-1000 from July 25th. Its pretty Impressive.

Virgin Atlantic increases capacity to the Caribbean
Virgin Atlantic’s Caribbean operations are as follows;

London Heathrow-Antigua will increase from 1x weekly (now) to 3x weekly from 15 July. Return fares start from £315 per person.

London Heathrow-Barbados will increase from 2x weekly (now) to 4x weekly from 15 July and daily (7x weekly) from 25 July. It will also switch to an Airbus A350 from a Boeing 787 five times weekly from August Return fares start from £335 per person.

London Heathrow – Grenada (via Barbados) will operate twice weekly from the 16 July. Return fares start from £453 per person.

Manchester- Barbados will return three times weekly from 7 August.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2021/07/vi ... an-by-300/

its good to see the growth from Covid since Panama opened last year, COPA is even flying 9 daily flights to Miami due to restrictions in other South American Countries

COPA Airlines recovered more than 70% of its destination
As demand recovers and sanitary restrictions were relaxed, the Panamanian company recovered several destinations between June and July.

It still remains far from pre-pandemic levels, although at this stage of the year it saw hope to recover part of its operations, driven by vaccine tourism in the United States, the summer season in the northern hemisphere and the relaxation of sanitary measures in the countries with the highest traffic, managing to recover 73% of its network of usual destinations.

In June it flew again to Bucaramanga (BGA) in Colombia; Boston (BOS), Chicago / O’hare (ORD) and Tampa (TPA) in the United States; Belize City (BZE); Curaçao (CUR); Monterrey (MTY) in Mexico; Nassau (NAS) in the Bahamas; and Montego Bay (MBJ) in Jamaica; while in July it restarted its flights to San Andrés (ADZ) in Colombia.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2021/07/co ... tinations/

Brickell305

Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:43 pm

Barbados has also decided to reduce taxes for intra-regional travel:

https://tt.loopnews.com/content/barbado ... jZqhxszFfg

As I stated above, I figured they might choose to go this route as they also have airlines with regional bases domiciled on island just as Antigua does. I could see Trinidad following suit once they are ready to reopen more broadly.

gunnerman

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:53 pm

TUI Airways (BY) will be resuming flights from the UK to MBJ from this Thursday using the 300-seat 788s and 345-seat 789s as follows.
From LGW 3x weekly on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays
From MAN 2x weekly on Thursdays and Sundays
From BHX 1x weekly on Saturdays

AECM

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm

At this moment there is a TAP Air Portugal A339, TAP9301, inbound SXM.

https://fr24.com/TAP9301/287fbe40

baje427

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

As I stated above, I figured they might choose to go this route as they also have airlines with regional bases domiciled on island just as Antigua does. I could see Trinidad following suit once they are ready to reopen more broadly.

Imagine if this was done pre pandemic inter regional traffic probably would have grown to sustainable levels.

caribbean484

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

It's a step in the right direction on reducing the cost of regional travel and hopefully will boost the intra regional travel to early 2000's levels. The arguments remains that the increase in travel can have a knock on effect on economic improvements to the tourism sector for short ranged travel. If decreasing the price of airfare leads to increases in visitor arrivals and occupancies as various studies have shown, the income and employment derived from guest night taxes and indirect taxes will should give governments good tax increases and more employment for citizens post covid.

As for Trinidad apparently they are in no hurry to reduce taxes
https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/no-rush ... 65b4bfc073

gunnerman wrote:
TUI Airways (BY) will be resuming flights from the UK to MBJ from this Thursday using the 300-seat 788s and 345-seat 789s as follows.
From LGW 3x weekly on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays
From MAN 2x weekly on Thursdays and Sundays
From BHX 1x weekly on Saturdays

It would be good to see the numbers eventually but it look like tourist travel is bouncing back quickly from the UK.

I saw that BW will increase GEO-JFK to 5w next Month, KIN-JFK will go 6w in September

caribny

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:31 pm

BW increase on the GEO JFK to 5w is a back door way to increase flights on the POS JFK. No way that BW is carrying more people on this route than out of POS when AA and B6 each have daily service, and the only nonstop service from POS is 4x weekly. BW is also significantly more expensive than the competition out of GEO because of all of this POS boarding passengers.

Interesting with KIN JFK. JulyAugust is the peak for travel and Sept one of the worst and yet BW increases service then. This because their MBJ JFK experiment comes to an end for the summer. I wonder what is the goal of this JFK MBJ route when the competition is well entrenched with multiple daily flights (7 for the summer) and are year round when BW only randomly pops up a few weeks of the year? JFK KIN travelers are well aware of BW. JFK MBJ travelers probably do not even know that they exist, given that they ended year round service more than a year ago.

wadadli

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:59 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
As mentioned above VS will be increasing flights to the Caribbean with the UK giving new green color to some destinations GND, ANU and BGI, with BGI getting daily A350-1000 from July 25th. Its pretty Impressive.

Virgin Atlantic increases capacity to the Caribbean
Virgin Atlantic’s Caribbean operations are as follows;

London Heathrow-Antigua will increase from 1x weekly (now) to 3x weekly from 15 July. Return fares start from £315 per person.

London Heathrow-Barbados will increase from 2x weekly (now) to 4x weekly from 15 July and daily (7x weekly) from 25 July. It will also switch to an Airbus A350 from a Boeing 787 five times weekly from August Return fares start from £335 per person.

London Heathrow – Grenada (via Barbados) will operate twice weekly from the 16 July. Return fares start from £453 per person.

Manchester- Barbados will return three times weekly from 7 August.

British Airways also ramped up flights to both Barbados and Antigua with ANU now enjoying non-stop flights from both London's Gatwick and Heathrow airports a total of 9x weekly.

https://antiguaobserver.com/ab-welcomes ... -30-years/

ANU flights through 4th September are as follows with 777-200

LGW/ANU/LGW - Mon, Fri, Sun
LGW/ANU/PLS/ANU/LGW - Tue, Thur
LGW/ANU/GND/ANU/LGW - Wed, Sat
LHR/ANU/LHR - Wed, Sat

ANU currently has 13 weekly BA rotations including the shuttle flights making it the busiest BA Caribbean station at the moment. This continues to be volatile times and with many hotels reporting record summer occupancies in ANU along with the Delta variant being dominant in the source markets, cases will increase but hopefully will be managed. Any shift in CDC level 1 rating or UK green traffic light status could quickly shift demand and as a result alter flight schedules suddenly.....

jmdc861

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:38 pm

caribny wrote:
JFK MBJ travelers probably do not even know that they exist, given that they ended year round service more than a year ago.

Beg to differ on the above mentioned. Travel JFKMBJ regularly and I go out of my way to us BW#010 even when it requires a change of dates. Same with their services when they were at FLL and MBJ was on or it was off. BW might have inferior in-flight entertainment and interiors that are surely worn but their cabin crews are ten times better than the same on Jet Blue. Jet Blue surely has better in flight entertainment but that's where their superiority ends. The B6 cabin crews always seem to have "attitude" for whatever reason. I see many people on BW #010/011 regularly whom I recognize and feel very much the same as I do. They just don't want the very "generic" Jet Blue experience.

Brickell305

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:48 pm

AA is launching MIA-AXA and MIA-DOM starting Dec 11 and Dec 8 respectively. Both routes will be flown with the Embraer 75 and will be twice weekly.

MIA-DOM 11:00-15:21 (We,Sa)
DOM-MIA 16:24-18:55 (We, Sa)

MIA-AXA 10:50-14:49 (We, Sa)
AXA-MIA 15:40-17:53 (We,Sa)

danipawa

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:05 am

Skycana is adding an A330 to fly SDQ/STI-JFK this coming Winter..

baje427

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:09 am

Brickell305 wrote:
AA is launching MIA-AXA and MIA-DOM starting Dec 11 and Dec 8 respectively. Both routes will be flown with the Embraer 75 and will be twice weekly.

Nice adds the E175 makes these destinations possible I imagine when B6 ramps up it's A220 services we will see some interesting adds.

GUYAIR707

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:13 pm

According to this article CAL’s 2nd Max has registration 9Y-GUY.

https://www.aviationnepal.com/caribbean ... ts-choice/

maverick4002

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am

GUYAIR707 wrote:

Yes, pictures were posted a few weeks back in the Boeing Max Delivery Thread

AEROFAN

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:46 am

aa1818 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

Not sure where in Barbados you are based- or what experience you are speaking from. Living in Holetown, for the past few months, nightlife in full swing. This curfew is two weeks and Friday and Saturday crowds still out and leaving in time for curfew.
Proprietors in Second Street and up and down the west coast are still seeing solid numbers for dinner, drinks etc.

AA1818

I do not understand the purpose of the nightly curfew in Barbados. Can someone please explain it. Is there a variant that's only spread during the night, hence the need for the nightly curfew? And wouldn't flights to Europe have departed before the curfew time?

LimaFoxTango

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:18 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

AA1818

I do not understand the purpose of the nightly curfew in Barbados. Can someone please explain it. Is there a variant that's only spread during the night, hence the need for the nightly curfew? And wouldn't flights to Europe have departed before the curfew time?

The idea is to prohibit the gathering of people whether at homes, bars and/or other places of entertainment which normally occurs during the nighttime hours. One may wish to question the effectiveness of it, but that's the intent.

GUYAIR707

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:27 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

Thank you. Nice, I checked it out.

maverick4002

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:13 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

Its ugly isnt it? I hate it so much.

caribny

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 pm

jmdc861 wrote:
caribny wrote:
JFK MBJ travelers probably do not even know that they exist, given that they ended year round service more than a year ago.

Beg to differ on the above mentioned. Travel JFKMBJ regularly and I go out of my way to us BW#010 even when it requires a change of dates. Same with their services when they were at FLL and MBJ was on or it was off. BW might have inferior in-flight entertainment and interiors that are surely worn but their cabin crews are ten times better than the same on Jet Blue. Jet Blue surely has better in flight entertainment but that's where their superiority ends. The B6 cabin crews always seem to have "attitude" for whatever reason. I see many people on BW #010/011 regularly whom I recognize and feel very much the same as I do. They just don't want the very "generic" Jet Blue experience.

My question was why REDUCE JFK KIN service in July/August when this is a peak period for VFR travel? Isnt this giving B6 more space even among those on the JFK KIN who prefer BW? I think that more than 600 people weekly want to travel JFK KIN on BW during the summer so what happens when BW is full because they now offer only 4w? Their loads on the JFK KIN in peak periods are generally very good, so by reducing JFK KIN to offer JFK MBJ seems strange as this means that as many as 300-400 weekly passengers are being forced to use B6 when BW is their preference.

JFK MBJ does NOT operate regularly so you cannot be seeing people regularly. Obviously the JFK MBJ market is not consistent enough for them to run regularly even though, pre pandemic their Jamaica based jets were under utilized. Of all the Jamaica USA route the JFK KIN is clearly the strongest as it is now really the only one left, except in the short periods when the MBJ JFK experiment operates. Now if they want to keep their options on this route until such time that they can return in force that might be worthy but now with AA entering that NYC MBJ market is actually well served.

caribny

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:46 pm

danipawa wrote:
Skycana is adding an A330 to fly SDQ/STI-JFK this coming Winter..

That should be good for the Dominican VFR in the NY area.

GUYAIR707

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

I really don’t like the new livery. I think something more Caribbean, yellow, green, blue, and such. Purple is so depressing.

caribny

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

This should be hugely beneficial for both islands. I expect that AXA will expand once we enter post pandemic.

jmdc861

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:50 pm

caribny wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:
caribny wrote:

JFK MBJ does NOT operate regularly so you cannot be seeing people regularly.

You are dead wrong, Yes I do see the same people regularly who travel at the same times (mostly holiday and some summer dates). Yes there is no argument that Jet Blue has its 3 flights a day JFK-MBJ and AA and DL each have their own. Bottom line if CAL can go in their at certain times of the year for a limited period of time and run a 100% or near 100% load factor, all the better for them!

LimaFoxTango

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:07 am

caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

This should be hugely beneficial for both islands. I expect that AXA will expand once we enter post pandemic.

I know it's early days still, but the fares on these flights are beyond rediculous! DOM-MIA is quoting about $1600usd rt, while AXA-MIA is quoting $1400usd return. Dates are in Dec for one week.

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:10 am

GUYAIR707 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

I really don’t like the new livery. I think something more Caribbean, yellow, green, blue, and such. Purple is so depressing.

It is ugly. I thought it was Philippine Airlines from a distance.

Brickell305

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:46 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

I know it's early days still, but the fares on these flights are beyond rediculous! DOM-MIA is quoting about $1600usd rt, while AXA-MIA is quoting $1400usd return. Dates are in Dec for one week.

I saw that too. I don’t think AA has loaded its discount fare buckets yet and what it’s showing is full fare Y.

DaveMetroD

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:43 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
caribny wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

Just checked on ITA with a sample trip Wednesday January 5, 2022 DTW-MIA-DOM and return Wednesday January 12, 2022 DOM-MIA-DTW. Currently $572 in economy. $990 setting up front(that's me :D ) on the same flights.

LimaFoxTango

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Frontier Airlines to start MCO-ANU in December

Antigua and Barbuda will welcome the start of year-round service by Frontier Airlines for the upcoming Winter season.

The US based, low-cost carrier known for its attractive rates will make its inaugural flight to Antigua on December 4. The service will operate once weekly on Saturdays with flights to Antigua’s V.C. Bird International Airport from its base at the Orlando International Airport in Florida.

https://antiguanewsroom.com/new-airline ... -december/

gunnerman

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Here is some news on BA's flights to UVF. Until recently it's been Fridays only from LGW but Mondays were added on 26 July and we'll see Sundays from 1 August, Wednesdays from 8 September, Saturdays from 16 October and Thursdays from 21 October. And there are the Saturday-only flights from LHR from 24 July to 11 September to boost capacity this summer, this being the first time time BA has operated LHR-UVF for over 30 years.

The above flights are indicative of the recovery of St Lucia from the pandemic.

The five weekly flights from LGW will no longer be terminators just before the winter schedule as they will continue to POS and GND as in pre-pandemic years:
LGW-UVF-POS From 17 October on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays
LGW-UVF-GND From 20 October on Wednesdays and Saturdays

All the above flights will be operated with 3-cabin 777-200ERs, so UVF has lost First class. The current cabin configuration of the 772s from LGW is as follows.
Club World 32 seats
World Traveller Plus 52 seats
World Traveller 252 seats in 10-across 3-4-3 configuration
Total seats 336

Brickell305

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 pm

Frontier (F9) is launching MCO-ANU on Dec 4, 2021. Saturdays only.

They are launching other Caribbean/Bahamian routes from MCO as well such as BZE, MBJ, NAS, PLS. I highlight ANU as I believe that is both the first F9 route to ANU and the first nonstop MCO-ANU route.

Brickell305

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Here is some news on BA's flights to UVF. Until recently it's been Fridays only from LGW but Mondays were added on 26 July and we'll see Sundays from 1 August, Wednesdays from 8 September, Saturdays from 16 October and Thursdays from 21 October. And there are the Saturday-only flights from LHR from 24 July to 11 September to boost capacity this summer, this being the first time time BA has operated LHR-UVF for over 30 years.

The above flights are indicative of the recovery of St Lucia from the pandemic.

The five weekly flights from LGW will no longer be terminators just before the winter schedule as they will continue to POS and GND as in pre-pandemic years:
LGW-UVF-POS From 17 October on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays
LGW-UVF-GND From 20 October on Wednesdays and Saturdays

All the above flights will be operated with 3-cabin 777-200ERs, so UVF has lost First class. The current cabin configuration of the 772s from LGW is as follows.
Club World 32 seats
World Traveller Plus 52 seats
World Traveller 252 seats in 10-across 3-4-3 configuration
Total seats 336

Are those GND flights in addition to the ANU connector flights?

gunnerman

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:27 pm

The GND and POS flights will be routed via ANU this summer and autumn but will revert to UVF on the dates above. The heavy use of ANU by BA is not something I expect to see repeated.

caribbean484

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:13 pm

An update so far from BW
YYZ-POS go from 1w to 2w from Aug1
JFK-POS go from 4w to 5w from Aug 1st
MIA-POS go from 4w to 6w from Aug 1st
BGI-POS go from 3w to 6w from Aug 1st
OGL-POS go from 2w to 3w from Aug 1st
DOM-POS go from 1w to 2w from Aug 1st
KIN-POS to go to 3w instead of 2w when start Aug 16th
New POS-ANU 1w from Aug 6th

My thinking is that soon JFK-GEO/POS/KIN will be going daily at least, MIA will be increase more beyond their pre-covid daily and more regional routes would be added.

Brickell305

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
An update so far from BW

My thinking is that soon JFK-GEO/POS/KIN will be going daily at least, MIA will be increase more beyond their pre-covid daily and more regional routes would be added.

Interesting to see the DOM increase. I guess with LI no longer serving POS, they have found success in that market. Also of note is that MIA is getting more frequency/capacity than JFK. Not that surprising with the way outbound travel from the Caribbean has been trending but somewhat so with the way JFK inbound VFR travel has rebounded.

caribbean484

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 am

Brickell305 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
An update so far from BW

Interesting to see the DOM increase. I guess with LI no longer serving POS, they have found success in that market. Also of note is that MIA is getting more frequency/capacity than JFK. Not that surprising with the way outbound travel from the Caribbean has been trending but somewhat so with the way JFK inbound VFR travel has rebounded.

Yes DOM has a very good diaspora in POS and it was a market that was ignored for years by BW. With LI in no position to add much consolidating more into the market is the better strategy for CAL. MIA is no surprise compared to JFK at this time.
Another issue also is with PY out for the time being I wonder what the PBM and CUR schedules would look like when they decide to restart. the GEO-MIA flights seem to be doing well as it is extended well into the fall.

GUYAIR707

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:46 am

AA has changed to the MAX from Sept 7/8 out of GEO. I tried to buy a ticket this week from JFK to GEO and BWs fare was higher than both B6 and AA and flights were sold out afterwards. BW seems to be holding its own against the two US based airlines. Maybe someone can tell us of the loads.

caribbean484

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:55 am

GUYAIR707 wrote:
AA has changed to the MAX from Sept 7/8 out of GEO. I tried to buy a ticket this week from JFK to GEO and BWs fare was higher than both B6 and AA and flights were sold out afterwards. BW seems to be holding its own against the two US based airlines. Maybe someone can tell us of the loads.

The loads for August are very high, its the reason they added the extra weekly flight. Most availability is in late August and those seats are Y+, and some J remaining.

Brickell305 wrote:

They are launching other Caribbean/Bahamian routes from MCO as well such as BZE, MBJ, NAS, PLS. I highlight ANU as I believe that is both the first F9 route to ANU and the first nonstop MCO-ANU route.

I think this is the first direct MCO-ANU flight? Maybe the ANU guys can confirm, but its a positive for ANU. The only though I have is are all these quick order expansion going to stick long term.

BW600

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Noticed BW’s first Max, originally 9Y-CAL has had the registration replaced with N60668. Hoping this is just temporary for testing etc and not a sign that BW isn’t taking delivery of her.

baje427

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
An update so far from BW

Interesting to see the POS to BGI increase even with the quarantine requirements. Surprised they didn't just go daily on MIA to POS unless they are restrictions.

LimaFoxTango

Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:35 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

The loads for August are very high, its the reason they added the extra weekly flight. Most availability is in late August and those seats are Y+, and some J remaining.

Brickell305 wrote:

I think this is the first direct MCO-ANU flight? Maybe the ANU guys can confirm, but its a positive for ANU. The only though I have is are all these quick order expansion going to stick long term.

Yes it would be ANU's first flight to MCO. This flight although not intended for the Antiguan cliente, will be attractive to many locals as it makes access to Disney and other theme parks very easy.

aa1818

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:59 pm

baje427 wrote:
Interesting to see the POS to BGI increase even with the quarantine requirements. Surprised they didn't just go daily on MIA to POS unless they are restrictions.

There are no quarantine requirements for POS/ BGI- the change where T&T was added on the 15th July was changed on the 17th July. I returned to BGI from POS on July 24th and spent 11 hours in "quarantine" awaiting results.

Wednesday's flight from POS to BGI was quite full with most coming over for vacations here in Barbados.

AA1818