Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GUYAIR707

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:23 pm

BW600 wrote:
Noticed BW’s first Max, originally 9Y-CAL has had the registration replaced with N60668. Hoping this is just temporary for testing etc and not a sign that BW isn’t taking delivery of her.

I read somewhere that airlines/owners make progress payments before painting. If true, depending on when that payment was made it would be unusual for them to opt out now. With covid, however, anything is possible. BW needs those a/c with their ramp up ongoing.

I was wondering why CAL doesn’t register an airline in Guyana. I am not sure how they operate in Jamaica. Maybe with the Jamaican government owning shares in the airline they can originate and terminate flights in Jamaica. With Guyana on the upswing maybe they can begin and end flights in Guyana, and have them serviced in Trinidad as required.

baje427

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:27 pm

aa1818 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
Interesting to see the POS to BGI increase even with the quarantine requirements. Surprised they didn't just go daily on MIA to POS unless they are restrictions.

There are no quarantine requirements for POS/ BGI- the change where T&T was added on the 15th July was changed on the 17th July. I returned to BGI from POS on July 24th and spent 11 hours in "quarantine" awaiting results.

Wednesday's flight from POS to BGI was quite full with most coming over for vacations here in Barbados.

AA1818

Nice I didn't know the change was made thanks for the information.

caribny

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:37 am

jmdc861 wrote:
caribny wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:

JFK MBJ does NOT operate regularly so you cannot be seeing people regularly.

You are dead wrong, Yes I do see the same people regularly who travel at the same times (mostly holiday and some summer dates). Yes there is no argument that Jet Blue has its 3 flights a day JFK-MBJ and AA and DL each have their own. Bottom line if CAL can go in their at certain times of the year for a limited period of time and run a 100% or near 100% load factor, all the better for them!

Except when BW cuts service to JFK KIN by 33% at a time when their loads are in the high 90s, and these people are forced to use B6 and incentivize DL to re-enter that route, does that make sense? Does it make sense to risk market share on the JFK KIN which is BWs ONLY Jamaica USA route that has viability on a year round basis? BW probably would have had no difficulty carrying 900 people on the JFK KIN, but they left 300 of them for B6.

BW has limited resources so cannot serve MBJ without cutting capacity into KIN. Does it make sense for BW to cut its presence in KIN just at the very time of the year when it is most needed? 4 flights in July a peak month, and 6 in Sept one of the worst!

As is if the TT gov't makes good its threats to provide only minimal support for BW as it attempts to recover, and BW is forced to reduce its fleet which routes are they going to cut? Not POS, as it recovers, except maybe FLL.

caribny

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:55 am

GUYAIR707 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

Thank you. Nice, I checked it out.

Its ugly isnt it? I hate it so much.

I really don’t like the new livery. I think something more Caribbean, yellow, green, blue, and such. Purple is so depressing.

I am glad that someone agrees with me. Caribbean Airlines is "Caribbean". Look at our flags (well most of them). Lots of green gold and/or blue. They should have replaced the purple with the blue/green colors that BWIA used to have. What is this obsession with purple? Look at the French Antillean carriers.

caribny

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:06 am

caribbean484 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
AA has changed to the MAX from Sept 7/8 out of GEO. I tried to buy a ticket this week from JFK to GEO and BWs fare was higher than both B6 and AA and flights were sold out afterwards. BW seems to be holding its own against the two US based airlines. Maybe someone can tell us of the loads.

The loads for August are very high, its the reason they added the extra weekly flight. Most availability is in late August and those seats are Y+, and some J remaining.

Brickell305 wrote:
Frontier (F9) is launching MCO-ANU on Dec 4, 2021. Saturdays only.

They are launching other Caribbean/Bahamian routes from MCO as well such as BZE, MBJ, NAS, PLS. I highlight ANU as I believe that is both the first F9 route to ANU and the first nonstop MCO-ANU route.

I think this is the first direct MCO-ANU flight? Maybe the ANU guys can confirm, but its a positive for ANU. The only though I have is are all these quick order expansion going to stick long term.

Any way the good news is that BWs cuts are not going to be as big as it was feared. 280 employees gone instead of 450. A big chunk of the JFK GEO are people continuing on to POS. After all GEO enjoys 19w nonstop from JFK whereas POS will get a scant 5w. I doubt that the JFK GEO market is 4x karger than JFL POS, especially when one considers that GEO has been open now for 9 months and never completely closed. Dynamic was running 1-2w charters when GEO was closed to scheduled flights.

ANU and UVF are actually getting better service post Covid. I hope these islands arent overly subsidizing these new routes at a time when their budgets are slim.

maverick4002

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10 pm

caribny wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
AA has changed to the MAX from Sept 7/8 out of GEO. I tried to buy a ticket this week from JFK to GEO and BWs fare was higher than both B6 and AA and flights were sold out afterwards. BW seems to be holding its own against the two US based airlines. Maybe someone can tell us of the loads.

The loads for August are very high, its the reason they added the extra weekly flight. Most availability is in late August and those seats are Y+, and some J remaining.

Brickell305 wrote:
Frontier (F9) is launching MCO-ANU on Dec 4, 2021. Saturdays only.

They are launching other Caribbean/Bahamian routes from MCO as well such as BZE, MBJ, NAS, PLS. I highlight ANU as I believe that is both the first F9 route to ANU and the first nonstop MCO-ANU route.

I think this is the first direct MCO-ANU flight? Maybe the ANU guys can confirm, but its a positive for ANU. The only though I have is are all these quick order expansion going to stick long term.

Any way the good news is that BWs cuts are not going to be as big as it was feared. 280 employees gone instead of 450. A big chunk of the JFK GEO are people continuing on to POS. After all GEO enjoys 19w nonstop from JFK whereas POS will get a scant 5w. I doubt that the JFK GEO market is 4x karger than JFL POS, especially when one considers that GEO has been open now for 9 months and never completely closed. Dynamic was running 1-2w charters when GEO was closed to scheduled flights.

ANU and UVF are actually getting better service post Covid. I hope these islands arent overly subsidizing these new routes at a time when their budgets are slim.

I get that GEO isnt 4x as big as POS but as you say, GEO has been open for 9 months, POS has been open for two weeks today. Ofcourse POS will take some time to ramp up.. They are already increaseing schedules in a few days. Give it a break

dominicl316

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:38 am

It looks as if Air Antilles (3S) is changing their recently reinstated PTP-DOM-SXM-SJU-SXM-DOM-PTP 2x weekly run to FDF-PTP-SJU-PTP-FDF starting this November...also 2x weekly.

I wonder what precipitated this last-minute change? Too much anticipated competition on BB SJU-SXM and SJU-DOM?

airfrancejfk

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Anyone know what’s going on with GUY arrivals. Saw AA diverted last night to BGI and B6 to POS and then SJU. Just saw this morning the CAL flight from BGI to OGL also diverting to POS.

Weather radar seemed ok last night and today so not sure what’s up.

gunnerman

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:11 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
I was wondering why CAL doesn’t register an airline in Guyana. I am not sure how they operate in Jamaica. Maybe with the Jamaican government owning shares in the airline they can originate and terminate flights in Jamaica. With Guyana on the upswing maybe they can begin and end flights in Guyana, and have them serviced in Trinidad as required.

I'm not sure why you are thinking of this as surely the Guyana CAA will allow CAL to base some aircraft in Guyana without needing a Guyana registration. Furthermore a Guyana-registered airline cannot fly to the US as the Guyana CAA does not have US FAA cat 1 status (or any status for that matter).

fowlr29

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:28 pm

dominicl316 wrote:
It looks as if Air Antilles (3S) is changing their recently reinstated PTP-DOM-SXM-SJU-SXM-DOM-PTP 2x weekly run to FDF-PTP-SJU-PTP-FDF starting this November...also 2x weekly.

I wonder what precipitated this last-minute change? Too much anticipated competition on BB SJU-SXM and SJU-DOM?

If I had to guess? Too much demand on DOM - SXM taking up all of the seats between PTP-SJU. I'm certain DOM - SXM will be put back into the schedule somewhere. DOM - SXM is usually full as both WM and 3S sell the seats. Will check back within a couple of days to see what is happening with this.

Brickell305

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:33 am

AA will be restarting:

GCM (Oct 7)
POS (Nov 2)
PTP (Nov 6)

GUYAIR707

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:56 am

gunnerman wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

I'm not sure why you are thinking of this as surely the Guyana CAA will allow CAL to base some aircraft in Guyana without needing a Guyana registration. Furthermore a Guyana-registered airline cannot fly to the US as the Guyana CAA does not have US FAA cat 1 status (or any status for that matter).

Right cat 1 is in the works according to the government. Obviously I mean after that. The reason I am suggesting this is because the US does not allow CAL to originate in Guyana even after they would have acquired cat 1. So, rather than operating POS-GEO empty, they could just fly GEO-JFK, etc. I guess the faa grades it either cat 1 or no status. Have no fear all puppy does turn dog.

gunnerman

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:24 pm

This is my understanding of the process for getting Cat 1. A credible Guyana-registered airline applies to the US Department of Transportation for a Foreign Air Carrier Permit, and it's that application which triggers the FAA process for granting the Guyana CAA the cat 1 status which is needed to operate to the US. So far no such credible airline exists but obviously CAL would be credible. However, it's all a slow process.

Brickell305

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:54 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

Right cat 1 is in the works according to the government. Obviously I mean after that. The reason I am suggesting this is because the US does not allow CAL to originate in Guyana even after they would have acquired cat 1. So, rather than operating POS-GEO empty, they could just fly GEO-JFK, etc. I guess the faa grades it either cat 1 or no status. Have no fear all puppy does turn dog.

gunnerman wrote:
This is my understanding of the process for getting Cat 1. A credible Guyana-registered airline applies to the US Department of Transportation for a Foreign Air Carrier Permit, and it's that application which triggers the FAA process for granting the Guyana CAA the cat 1 status which is needed to operate to the US. So far no such credible airline exists but obviously CAL would be credible. However, it's all a slow process.

Wouldn't BW have to be at least partly Guyanese owned for this to occur? At a minimum, wouldn't they have to set up a holding company based in Guyana to assume some of the shares of the airline? Also, for flights to originate in GEO, wouldn't they still be using the same Trinidad based crews rotated at JFK or otherwise have to establish a GEO base? Either way, it does not seem like much of a cost-saving over the current situation where they can just originate the flight in POS and pick up a little revenue on the POS-GEO leg to offset the cost of that.

caribbean484

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

gunnerman wrote:

From what I can remember years ago when T&T was downgraded to CAT2, there were a number of issues that needed to be fixed. I had a conversation with one of the persons that was involved in the process and some of the things he said was:
1) There had to be laws so that the country's CAA is not a "puppet" of any regime and that it's director is chosen with the some minimum knowledge set for by ICAO.
2) The CAA had to show it had the ability to finance itself and conduct independent incident/accident reports
3) The CAA has to have adequate Flight Operations Oversight, which would require Flight Operations Oversight Officers to support the work of the Caribbean Aviation Safety and Security Oversight System and laisse with FAA/ICAO.

Guyana has been in Category 2 from 2009 I believe and still has not gotten the necessary final approvals. It is also the reason why FlyJamaica owners did not have a FlyGuyana and were flying between KIN-GEO.

caribbean484

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 pm

airfrancejfk wrote:
Anyone know what’s going on with GUY arrivals. Saw AA diverted last night to BGI and B6 to POS and then SJU. Just saw this morning the CAL flight from BGI to OGL also diverting to POS.

Not sure what happened in GEO for those diversions, as there are no weather related issues.

gunnerman

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:23 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
Guyana has been in Category 2 from 2009 I believe and still has not gotten the necessary final approvals. It is also the reason why FlyJamaica owners did not have a FlyGuyana and were flying between KIN-GEO.

If you stop operating flights to the US you lose your cat status (after four years I think). The Guyana CAA lost its cat 2 status years ago.

It's far from clear how it makes sense for an airline and the CAA to spend a lot of money and time to obtain the cat 1 status when there are already flights to GEO from JFK (by BW, AA and B6) and from MIA (by AA).

aa1818

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:52 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
Not sure what happened in GEO for those diversions, as there are no weather related issues.

Seems to be fog.
This morning BW486 (POS-GEO) took 3 hours today August 4th. And the POS-OGL also circled before landing.

Cheers,
AA1818

GUYAIR707

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
airfrancejfk wrote:

AA from Miami descended as low as 500 ft on approach then just flew on the BGI without circling. B6 circled a while then proceeded to POS. AA from JFK landed a few hours later.

caribbean484

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm

aa1818 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

Seems to be fog.
This morning BW486 (POS-GEO) took 3 hours today August 4th. And the POS-OGL also circled before landing.

Cheers,
AA1818

GUYAIR707 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
airfrancejfk wrote:

AA from Miami descended as low as 500 ft on approach then just flew on the BGI without circling. B6 circled a while then proceeded to POS. AA from JFK landed a few hours later.

Saw that BW527 was diverted to POS after circling for 1hr at GEO.
Looking at GEO chart they are using RNAV approach in Rwy 24 with the minimum 460' DA.

Brickell305

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:44 pm

AF is launching:

PTP-YUL on 11/23
PTP-JFK on 11/24

Both flights are to operate 2x weekly.

aa1818

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
AF is launching:

PTP-YUL on 11/23
PTP-JFK on 11/24

Have they ever flown these routes?

Cheers,
AA1818

Brickell305

Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:36 pm

aa1818 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
AF is launching:

PTP-YUL on 11/23
PTP-JFK on 11/24

Have they ever flown these routes?

Cheers,
AA1818

As far as I’m aware, this is the first time AF is flying either. B6 flies JFK-PTP. It was also previously flown by DY. AC and Air Transat fly YUL-PTP.

fowlr29

Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:57 pm

Not sure what other routes have been changed/added/removed for BW however:

POS-CUR has been added starting Monday 8th November. 2x a week Mondays and Fridays with the 738.

PY also restarts on the 4th of November, 3x a week. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays with the 737. Naturally this also means Suriname to/from POS also restarting on those days.

9YCAL

Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Good news about BW resuming flights to CUR. Nice choice of days, Mondays and Fridays and the flight schedule is perfect. I hope they reinstate SXM soon. I read here that DOM/SXM route is doing good, so maybe BW can look at POS/BGI/DOM/SXM flight.

Brickell305

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:47 pm

9YCAL wrote:
Good news about BW resuming flights to CUR. Nice choice of days, Mondays and Fridays and the flight schedule is perfect. I hope they reinstate SXM soon. I read here that DOM/SXM route is doing good, so maybe BW can look at POS/BGI/DOM/SXM flight.

I think a big chunk of that DOM-SXM traffic is people connecting beyond SXM into the US. With AA starting flights to MIA later in the year, demand for that flight is likely to be reduced to some extent. On top of that, Trinidad remains on the list of "banned" countries for Sint Maarten. I believe that means only vaccinated people are allowed in and they also have to apply for an exemption, so that would likely be a hindrance in BW's return to SXM as well. On the other hand, POS-DOM has been operating nonstop though and by all accounts has been doing well. Maybe they might add some stops to increase frequency if it makes sense for them to so do.

caribbean484

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:49 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
Not sure what other routes have been changed/added/removed for BW however:

POS-CUR has been added starting Monday 8th November. 2x a week Mondays and Fridays with the 738.

PY also restarts on the 4th of November, 3x a week. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays with the 737. Naturally this also means Suriname to/from POS also restarting on those days.

I also saw on Friday that they loaded from Nov 1st daily POS-YYZ and 5w POS-KIN with KIN-NAS increasing to 3w. As a result, SXM 2w service is not added yet, HAV and PBM are not yet planned it too seemed. It seems they are trying to load a late fall schedule leading into Christmas. So in the coming weeks, we will have an idea of what they see the demand

On another note, anyone has any idea of what is going on with Suriname Airways? I saw they have chartered an A321 to do some flights to MIA and AUA, and have chartered an Air Belgium A340 to do AMS-PBM-AMS.

gunnerman

Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:17 pm

BW has made redundant 42 of its Jamaican employees, comprising 34 of 84 cabin crew and eight of 23 maintenance workers, on 31 July. As most are entitled to six weeks' notice their redundancy takes effect from 10 September.

The government of Jamaica owns 16 per cent of BW and the Government of T & T 84 per cent.

maverick4002

Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pm

gunnerman wrote:
BW has made redundant 42 of its Jamaican employees, comprising 34 of 84 cabin crew and eight of 23 maintenance workers, on 31 July. As most are entitled to six weeks' notice their redundancy takes effect from 10 September.

The government of Jamaica owns 16 per cent of BW and the Government of T & T 84 per cent.

Unfortunate to lose your jobs but we knew it was coming.

Brickell305

Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:40 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Sad for the employees affected. That is actually a much milder cut than I was expecting from the Jamaica operations.

Caymanair

Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:17 am

Quick Updates from this side of the puddle:

Cayman Airways added 2 additional flights this summer to Miami. There was demand for additional flights and to other destinations, especially London, but authorities cracked down on persons not travelling strictly on a needs basis.

https://caymannewsservice.com/2021/07/two-miami-summer-repatriation-flights-added/

The government has finally released an opening plan for Cayman, heavily dependent on reaching an 80% vaccination target. we're at something like 71% and the numbers have been inching up incredibly slowly after a very strong start, despite a 100,000 KYD cash prize and other prizes including land and cars. Several business have begun requiring new employees and work permit holders to be vaccinated, and government is in the process of mandating vaccination for all eligible work permit holders.

https://www.caribjournal.com/2021/07/14/cayman-islands-tourism-reopening-plan/

AA is ready to restart services, and KX would love to increase their existing ones! BA would like to resume their regular LHR services asap.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20210731/british-airways-resume-regular-flights-cayman-islands

Cayman Airways appears to have done pretty well, all things considered, during the shut down. They will need $7mil KYD in support through the end of this year, but have done well with the MAX payments and the sale of the remaining 737-300s. 3 of 4 MAX 8s are here now, so they can definitely do without the -300s, which will be gone by October.

[url]caymancompass.com/2021/07/20/cayman-airways-to-receive-additional-7-million/[/url]

caribbean484

Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:53 am

Caymanair wrote:

Cayman Airways added 2 additional flights this summer to Miami. There was demand for additional flights and to other destinations, especially London, but authorities cracked down on persons not travelling strictly on a needs basis.

https://caymannewsservice.com/2021/07/two-miami-summer-repatriation-flights-added/

The government has finally released an opening plan for Cayman, heavily dependent on reaching an 80% vaccination target. we're at something like 71% and the numbers have been inching up incredibly slowly after a very strong start, despite a 100,000 KYD cash prize and other prizes including land and cars. Several business have begun requiring new employees and work permit holders to be vaccinated, and government is in the process of mandating vaccination for all eligible work permit holders.

AA is ready to restart services, and KX would love to increase their existing ones! BA would like to resume their regular LHR services asap.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20210731/british-airways-resume-regular-flights-cayman-islands

Cayman Airways appears to have done pretty well, all things considered, during the shut down. They will need $7mil KYD in support through the end of this year, but have done well with the MAX payments and the sale of the remaining 737-300s. 3 of 4 MAX 8s are here now, so they can definitely do without the -300s, which will be gone by October.

[url]caymancompass.com/2021/07/20/cayman-airways-to-receive-additional-7-million/[/url]

That's good news and hopefully, things improve for KX, but 80% vaccination? I mean we are seeing countries still experiencing high levels of infections even though they have high vaccination rates.
BTW when is the 4th MAX expected?

baje427

Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Caymanair wrote:

The Cayman government is quite right to be conservative with their reopening plans especially as it becomes clear that the vaccines are not as effective against the new variants.

Breathe

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:34 pm

A bit out of the blue. VS is to launch Edinburgh to Barbados and Orlando in December.

https://corporate.edinburghairport.com/ ... nd-orlando

Virgin Atlantic, one of the world’s premier carriers, will set up home in Edinburgh later this year, offering direct flights to Barbados and Orlando.

The flight to Barbados will be Scotland’s only direct service to the Caribbean and will launch on 5 December 2021. Flights to Orlando, the theme park capital of the world, will launch on 30 March 2022.

It’s the first time Virgin Atlantic has flown international flights from the Scottish capital in its 37-year history, and the new Caribbean flights will operate twice weekly on an Airbus A330. The Orlando flights will also be twice weekly, operating on an Airbus A330-200.

The new routes offer travellers from Scotland to chance to holiday in the Caribbean, with seamless onward connections from Barbados to Grenada, St Vincent and Tobago thanks to Virgin Atlantic’s connecting flights, alongside flights with Virgin Atlantic’s interline partner, Caribbean Airlines.

The flights to Orlando will also be a huge draw for families looking to experience the world-famous theme parks, stunning beaches and various sporting events in the city and wider Florida.

Virgin Atlantic’s cargo offering will also be an advantage to firms looking to export goods from Scotland to the Caribbean and the USA. It comes as Edinburgh Airport continues to focus on growing its cargo operation to help meet the Scottish Government’s exports targets and contribute to its plan for a more sustainable future for aviation in Scotland.

Gordon Dewar, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Airport said:

“A premier city like Edinburgh deserves premier airlines and we are extremely excited to welcome our newest partner Virgin Atlantic to Scotland’s capital city.

“To be able to deliver flights to Barbados, Scotland’s only direct route to the Caribbean, and Orlando is a fantastic boost to us as we prepare for the post-Covid recovery, and it is a huge show of confidence in Edinburgh Airport’s ability to deliver for passengers across the country.

“We look forward to the new routes launching and watching passengers head off on the holiday of a lifetime from Edinburgh Airport with Virgin Atlantic.”

Juha Jarvinen, Chief Commercial Officer at Virgin Atlantic, commented;

“Commencing international flights from Edinburgh marks an exciting new chapter for Virgin Atlantic and we couldn’t be happier to be flying from a new home in Scotland. I know our teams are itching to show Edinburgh the Virgin Atlantic spirit and flair we’re famous for.

“Our two new routes provide an array of holiday options to suit everyone. From family fun and the thrills of Orlando’s theme parks to the stunning beaches and chilled out vibes in Barbados, we’re confident there’s something to love for all of our Scottish customers.”

Minister for Transport Graeme Dey said:

“I welcome this news of Virgin Atlantic’s commitment to Scotland, and the launch of their new service to Barbados from Edinburgh. It is encouraging to see airlines develop their connectivity to Scotland at this time and I am sure this news will be welcomed by passengers.”

Phil Brown, Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, said:

“Safely returning to transatlantic international flights is our continuing goal and today’s announcement by our longtime partner Virgin Atlantic, offering service to Edinburgh, Scotland is a step in that direction.

“From visiting historic castles to world-class golf and seafood Edinburgh offers countless opportunities for business and leisure travel.”

Background

Fares start from as little as £419 and customers on the Barbados route will be able to choose to fly in one of three cabins on the A330, including the luxurious Upper Class, which offers an exclusive bar area and fully flat beds, or Premium, where customers can enjoy a 38” seat pitch, welcome drinks and fine dining.

Virgin Atlantic will be joining its joint venture partner, Delta Air Lines, at its new home in Scotland. Delta currently flies to both New York and Boston from the Scottish capital, with additional partners Air France KLM operating services to both Paris and Amsterdam.

BW985

Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:34 pm

Virgin have announced many new / extra Caribbean services for the upcoming Winter season today, in addition to the EDI - BGI flights.

Here’s what I can remember:
-Seasonal return from LHR to UVF 3x weekly (I wonder if the St Lucian government has agreed to pay them for the flights now… and if yes, how much.)
-3x weekly from MAN to MBJ
-LHR-MBJ increase from 3x weekly to daily
-LHR-BGI increase from daily to 11x weekly
-MAN-BGI increase from 2x to 5x weekly

-2x weekly LHR-NAS flights were announced last week.

Hope these flights will actually happen!

gunnerman

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Breathe wrote:
A bit out of the blue. VS is to launch Edinburgh to Barbados and Orlando in December.

https://corporate.edinburghairport.com/ ... nd-orlando

Virgin Atlantic, one of the world’s premier carriers, will set up home in Edinburgh later this year, offering direct flights to Barbados and Orlando.

The flight to Barbados will be Scotland’s only direct service to the Caribbean and will launch on 5 December 2021. Flights to Orlando, the theme park capital of the world, will launch on 30 March 2022.

It’s the first time Virgin Atlantic has flown international flights from the Scottish capital in its 37-year history, and the new Caribbean flights will operate twice weekly on an Airbus A330. The Orlando flights will also be twice weekly, operating on an Airbus A330-200.

The new routes offer travellers from Scotland to chance to holiday in the Caribbean, with seamless onward connections from Barbados to Grenada, St Vincent and Tobago thanks to Virgin Atlantic’s connecting flights, alongside flights with Virgin Atlantic’s interline partner, Caribbean Airlines.

The flights to Orlando will also be a huge draw for families looking to experience the world-famous theme parks, stunning beaches and various sporting events in the city and wider Florida.

Virgin Atlantic’s cargo offering will also be an advantage to firms looking to export goods from Scotland to the Caribbean and the USA. It comes as Edinburgh Airport continues to focus on growing its cargo operation to help meet the Scottish Government’s exports targets and contribute to its plan for a more sustainable future for aviation in Scotland.

Gordon Dewar, Chief Executive of Edinburgh Airport said:

“A premier city like Edinburgh deserves premier airlines and we are extremely excited to welcome our newest partner Virgin Atlantic to Scotland’s capital city.

“To be able to deliver flights to Barbados, Scotland’s only direct route to the Caribbean, and Orlando is a fantastic boost to us as we prepare for the post-Covid recovery, and it is a huge show of confidence in Edinburgh Airport’s ability to deliver for passengers across the country.

“We look forward to the new routes launching and watching passengers head off on the holiday of a lifetime from Edinburgh Airport with Virgin Atlantic.”

Juha Jarvinen, Chief Commercial Officer at Virgin Atlantic, commented;

“Commencing international flights from Edinburgh marks an exciting new chapter for Virgin Atlantic and we couldn’t be happier to be flying from a new home in Scotland. I know our teams are itching to show Edinburgh the Virgin Atlantic spirit and flair we’re famous for.

“Our two new routes provide an array of holiday options to suit everyone. From family fun and the thrills of Orlando’s theme parks to the stunning beaches and chilled out vibes in Barbados, we’re confident there’s something to love for all of our Scottish customers.”

Minister for Transport Graeme Dey said:

“I welcome this news of Virgin Atlantic’s commitment to Scotland, and the launch of their new service to Barbados from Edinburgh. It is encouraging to see airlines develop their connectivity to Scotland at this time and I am sure this news will be welcomed by passengers.”

Phil Brown, Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, said:

“Safely returning to transatlantic international flights is our continuing goal and today’s announcement by our longtime partner Virgin Atlantic, offering service to Edinburgh, Scotland is a step in that direction.

“From visiting historic castles to world-class golf and seafood Edinburgh offers countless opportunities for business and leisure travel.”

Background

Fares start from as little as £419 and customers on the Barbados route will be able to choose to fly in one of three cabins on the A330, including the luxurious Upper Class, which offers an exclusive bar area and fully flat beds, or Premium, where customers can enjoy a 38” seat pitch, welcome drinks and fine dining.

Virgin Atlantic will be joining its joint venture partner, Delta Air Lines, at its new home in Scotland. Delta currently flies to both New York and Boston from the Scottish capital, with additional partners Air France KLM operating services to both Paris and Amsterdam.

This isn't the first time that there's been scheduled flights from Scotland to Barbados as BW did have a short-lived Prestwick service in 2005 as follows.
POS-BGI-MAN-PIK* (departing Fridays)
PIK-BGI-POS (departing Saturdays)

At the same time BW flew to Belfast as follows.
POS-BGI-MAN-BFS* (departing Saturdays)
BFS-BGI-POS (departing Sundays)

* arriving next day

In both cases flights were operated with the 343 such as 9Y-JIL in a 2-cabin configuration.

aa1818

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:07 pm

BW today announced the resumption of
POS-MCO-POS (Mondays and Fridays) and POS-SLU-POS (Mondays and Fridays) both beginning this Monday 16th August. Very short notice it seems.

Cheers,
AA1818

2travel2know2

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:24 pm

aa1818 wrote:
POS-MCO-POS (Mondays and Fridays) and POS-SLU-POS (Mondays and Fridays) both beginning this Monday 16th August. Very short notice it seems.

Cheers,
AA1818
Trinis wishing to travel to Orlando for the weekend?
That might be highly likely.
Early morning departure POS-MCO Fridays and late evening MCO-POS arrival Mondays?

caribny

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:07 am

maverick4002 wrote:

I get that GEO isnt 4x as big as POS but as you say, GEO has been open for 9 months, POS has been open for two weeks today. Ofcourse POS will take some time to ramp up.. They are already increaseing schedules in a few days. Give it a break

The fact that POS just reopened means that there is more pent up demand. GEO will now have stabilized around those who will want to travel at this time. TT is restricting traffic and picking favorite routes.

caribny

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:35 am

Brickell305 wrote:

Wouldn't BW have to be at least partly Guyanese owned for this to occur? At a minimum, wouldn't they have to set up a holding company based in Guyana to assume some of the shares of the airline? Also, for flights to originate in GEO, wouldn't they still be using the same Trinidad based crews rotated at JFK or otherwise have to establish a GEO base? Either way, it does not seem like much of a cost-saving over the current situation where they can just originate the flight in POS and pick up a little revenue on the POS-GEO leg to offset the cost of that.

BW can only operate GEO is an intermediate stop between POS and the USA or as a tag on to flights into POS from the USA. BWIA used to be able to operate ANU and BGI flights without a POS sector. Not sure if BW (Caribbean Airlines) was able to grandfather these routes as their BGI JFK route originates in KIN.

Guyana doesnt need Cat 1 as it doesnt have an airline. With the lucrative JFK GEO market crowded with 3 carriers there is really no room for a Guyanese carrier. No other route is strong enough to support one. I also bet that US aviation interests will challenge any attempt by BW to use a Guyana affiliate to get around US route right issues. Given that BW doesnt have a history of profitability, when debt service is included, I do not see private capital being attracted. The Guyana gov't will wonder why they need to buy a cow when they can get the milk free. So there will likely not be enough Guyanese investment into BW to offset objections that AA/B6 will pose.

LimaFoxTango

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:54 pm

aa1818 wrote:

Cheers,
AA1818

Well with BW being the only airline operating into/out POS, I'm sure they can add these flights short notice and still eek out a decent load. Seems awfully strange that a month plus (maybe even two) after opening, BW is still the only carrier operating POS to anywhere. The have the entire market to themselves and I'm sure they're trying to maximize as much revenue as they can.

maverick4002

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:20 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
aa1818 wrote:

Cheers,
AA1818

Well with BW being the only airline operating into/out POS, I'm sure they can add these flights short notice and still eek out a decent load. Seems awfully strange that a month plus (maybe even two) after opening, BW is still the only carrier operating POS to anywhere. The have the entire market to themselves and I'm sure they're trying to maximize as much revenue as they can.

jetblue has flights loaded early september

aa1818

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:35 pm

maverick4002 wrote:

I believe so do PY, AA and BA. I'm not sure if UA has loaded flights for POS yet.

Anyone knows if/ when CM will return to POS. Did they fly into BGI pre-pandemic?

Cheers,
AA1818

gunnerman

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:38 pm

As the GoRTT makes it impossible or difficult for many to visit the country it's no surprise that airlines aren't rushing to resume flights. I see that BA won't serve POS and TAB from LGW until 28 September and 1 October respectively, and only with weekly flights.

Brickell305

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:41 pm

aa1818 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

I believe so do PY, AA and BA. I'm not sure if UA has loaded flights for POS yet.

Anyone knows if/ when CM will return to POS. Did they fly into BGI pre-pandemic?

Cheers,
AA1818

CM did fly to BGI pre-pandemic.

aa1818

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:46 pm

gunnerman wrote:
As the GoRTT makes it impossible or difficult for many to visit the country it's no surprise that airlines aren't rushing to resume flights. I see that BA won't serve POS and TAB from LGW until 28 September and 1 October respectively, and only with weekly flights.

I don't think that's true at all.
Effective July 17th 2021, the GORTT opened the borders to
(1) Vaccinated Non-nationals- with a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival, easy arrival, no quarantine and no further testing
(2) Vaccinated Nationals- with a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival, no quarantine and no further testing
(3) Unvaccinated non-Nationals- who have to quarantine after providing a negative PCR test prior to arrival and completing a second negative test after 7 days on island.

I would argue that those rules are even more lax than Barbados which has largely remained open through the pandemic.

Cheers,
AA1818

Brickell305

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:47 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
aa1818 wrote:

Cheers,
AA1818

AA plans to return in November. As for the foreign airlines more broadly, it’s not that surprising that they took/are taking a while to restart ops to T&T. For BW, POS is the epicenter of their operations and they had to restart as soon as possible. For everyone else (and I’m including LI here too), POS & TAB are not the be all, end all of their operations. They are just spokes of a larger network. If they already pledged their resources (crews and planes) elsewhere, they will wait until it’s feasible to make those resources available for service to POS & TAB. It’s not like AA, for example, is at risk of collapse if they don’t restart POS tomorrow.

Brickell305

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:02 pm

aa1818 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

I don't think that's true at all.
Effective July 17th 2021, the GORTT opened the borders to
(1) Vaccinated Non-nationals- with a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival, easy arrival, no quarantine and no further testing
(2) Vaccinated Nationals- with a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to arrival, no quarantine and no further testing
(3) Unvaccinated non-Nationals- who have to quarantine after providing a negative PCR test prior to arrival and completing a second negative test after 7 days on island.

I would argue that those rules are even more lax than Barbados which has largely remained open through the pandemic.

Cheers,
AA1818

Just one point, I think number 3 should be unvaccinated nationals. AFAIK, unvaccinated non-nationals are still banned from entry. I agree with your larger point. It’s fairly easy to enter T&T at this time. You just have to be vaccinated.

embraer175e2

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:26 pm

Can easy air make enough profit to survive with the saab340? I heard they had problem paying back customers of covid cancellings.

embraer175e2

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:27 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
Can easy air of Curacao make enough profit to survive with their new saab340 additions? I heard they had problem paying back customers of covid cancellings.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos