Re: Emirates adds MIA from July 21st, 2021

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm

perfect, will hopefully book the inaugural

B752OS

Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:04 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Great to see it official.

Perhaps not a coincidence, but Qatar immediately has increased MIADOH to 3w this week and will go to 5w in July (original plan was 2w through June, then 3w July through end of a October).

Miami’s recovery post COVID has been unreal. It lost very few non-stop connections, gained a significant number of new domestic routes (especially smaller cities on AA), gained fairly good sized operations from JetBlue and Southwest, on top of a major expansion by Frontier, and now finally Emirates moves down from FLL. Miami finished May 2021 at over 90% of May 2019 traffic levels and will likely exceed 2019 monthly traffic levels within the next two months. And that’s with many travel restrictions to key long haul travel markets like Brazil, Argentina and Europe, still in place.

No really all that shocking. People simply did not want to fly to Central America, or the Caribbean as they normally would the past 14-15 months. South Florida is about as good as it gets in the lower 48 for Americans wanting a tropical vacation, even if Miami is not really "tropical". Key West fits the bill better, but is a lot smaller, and requires a more expensive flight, or a decent drive from Miami. Throw in dirt cheap fares, like what AA was running on LAX-MIA for example, and it's no wonder the region has done pretty well.

kindolfaret

Re: Emirates Network & Fleet Discussion - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:21 pm

Emirates resuming Lyon and Nice beginning of July. Initially 4 weekly. B77W.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... ee-travel/

DUSZRH

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:37 pm

DLHAM wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
An official entourage from Berlin has meet with Emirates at the Arabian Tavel Market today.

Fingers crossed for an official announcement.

The situation of traffic rights for UAE Airlines to Germany has not changed, a EU-UAE open skies failed a couple of years ago. Honestly I dont think we will ever see them at Berlin before, one day, there might be a Open Skies. I absolutely do not see them ditch MUC, FRA, DUS or HAM for BER.

There was an offer once from Germany, to introduce a limit on frequency in exchange for dropping the limit on airports. Maybe now, with the reduced travel demand, it could be more interesting for EK.

AirIndia

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:00 am

DUSZRH wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
An official entourage from Berlin has meet with Emirates at the Arabian Tavel Market today.

Fingers crossed for an official announcement.

The situation of traffic rights for UAE Airlines to Germany has not changed, a EU-UAE open skies failed a couple of years ago. Honestly I dont think we will ever see them at Berlin before, one day, there might be a Open Skies. I absolutely do not see them ditch MUC, FRA, DUS or HAM for BER.

There was an offer once from Germany, to introduce a limit on frequency in exchange for dropping the limit on airports. Maybe now, with the reduced travel demand, it could be more interesting for EK.

Yes IIRC it was 7 daily flights max to any where in Germany.

Fuling

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:20 am

AirIndia wrote:
DUSZRH wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

It's actually any frequency (IIRC) to any four points in Germany. Pre-COVID EK had 10x daily flights to Germany.

Tedjamvor

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:55 am

Fuling wrote:
AirIndia wrote:
DUSZRH wrote:

It's actually any frequency (IIRC) to any four points in Germany. Pre-COVID EK had 10x daily flights to Germany.

Yes, and Germany said if you want unlimited ports then you get 7 daily flights instead as above?

Fuling

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am

Tedjamvor wrote:
Fuling wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

Yes, and Germany said if you want unlimited ports then you get 7 daily flights instead as above?

Oh, whoops! Missed that somehow sorry. Nevermind me!

Western727

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Any guesses or insight on EK211/212 to IAH possibly upgauging from the current 77L? It was a 380 pre-pandemic, including the trip my family of 4 was booked on in March 2020 before we cancelled. We plan to go in November to visit my expat sister and her family and I'm hoping for a resumption of 380 service.

behramjee

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Tedjamvor wrote:
Fuling wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

7 daily even in pre-Covid times would have meant

2 daily A380s each to MUC FRA + daily A380 to HAM DUS and TXL which should have sufficed as for TXL the high density 2 class version could have been used.

ThomasCook

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:26 pm

behramjee wrote:
Tedjamvor wrote:
Fuling wrote:

2 daily A380s each to MUC FRA + daily A380 to HAM DUS and TXL which should have sufficed as for TXL the high density 2 class version could have been used.

Emirates have never operated to Berlin.

Western727

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:47 pm

ThomasCook wrote:
behramjee wrote:
Tedjamvor wrote:

Why not, out of curiosity?

Eiszeit

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Western727 wrote:
ThomasCook wrote:
behramjee wrote:

Because they are allowed unlimited flights but only to 4 airports and Berlin showing less financial potential than FRA, MUC, DUS, HAM.

DLHAM

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:56 pm

Eiszeit wrote:
Western727 wrote:
ThomasCook wrote:

Because they are allowed unlimited flights but only to 4 airports and Berlin showing less financial potential than FRA, MUC, DUS, HAM.

True, originally it was even just 3 airports. In 2004 they got permission for a fourth airport, they choose to serve Hamburg. They tried to get further access, they want to fly to Berlin and Stuttgart but there seems to be no way so far.

Avgeek21

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 am

DLHAM wrote:
Eiszeit wrote:
Western727 wrote:

True, originally it was even just 3 airports. In 2004 they got permission for a fourth airport, they choose to serve Hamburg. They tried to get further access, they want to fly to Berlin and Stuttgart but there seems to be no way so far.

Could they use flydubai to further explore Germany?

AirIndia

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 am

DLHAM wrote:
Eiszeit wrote:
Western727 wrote:

HAM was also used for one stop to JFK on the 345s.

AirIndia

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:32 am

Avgeek21 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
Eiszeit wrote:

Could they use flydubai to further explore Germany?

FZ and EK fall under the same bilaterals. So simple answer would be 'no'.

jmdc861

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm

So the million dollar question is when Emirates arrives at MIA on July 22 will they do a one-time substitution of the A380 for the 77W as they did for the first flight to Orlando a few years back ? No doubt there are unused A380 gates at MIA available so that if this were done they wouldn't be "Delta'd" as was done to QR at Atlanta when they brought their A380 in on inaugural day at a few years back.

kindolfaret

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:18 pm

Western727 wrote:
Any guesses or insight on EK211/212 to IAH possibly upgauging from the current 77L? It was a 380 pre-pandemic, including the trip my family of 4 was booked on in March 2020 before we cancelled. We plan to go in November to visit my expat sister and her family and I'm hoping for a resumption of 380 service.

Best case scenario it’ll be a 77W. Looking at forward schedules, EK is planning on flying about 60-70 A380 frames in Winter 2021 season - but it is obviously not going to happen.

The catch is that they actually only got pilots for about 15. Even if they reinstate all the furloughed pilots by then they will only be able to effectively fly around 40 frames. Those aircraft will probably be deployed on routes where is guarranteed they can fill them. IAH very unlikely to be one of them.

Western727

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 pm

kindolfaret wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Best case scenario it’ll be a 77W. Looking at forward schedules, EK is planning on flying about 60-70 A380 frames in Winter 2021 season - but it is obviously not going to happen.

The catch is that they actually only got pilots for about 15. Even if they reinstate all the furloughed pilots by then they will only be able to effectively fly around 40 frames. Those aircraft will probably be deployed on routes where is guarranteed they can fill them. IAH very unlikely to be one of them.

Sensible, and appreciated.

rubberdogdo

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:36 am

Not EK flight crew , but rumours abound that layoffs were arbitrary , not based on fairness , seniority or logic , but by other more subjective measurements. If this is true , how can EK hope to recruit “ the best “ from around the world to crew these aircraft, other than those merely desperate for employment , while having mismanaged the critical human resource so necessary for future success ? One would expect absolutely ZERO LOYALTY towards Emirates post COVID. Survival is critical , but the way downsizing was carried out should haunt the HR department at EK for years and years.

Western727

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:13 pm

rubberdogdo wrote:
Not EK flight crew , but rumours abound that layoffs were arbitrary , not based on fairness , seniority or logic , but by other more subjective measurements. If this is true , how can EK hope to recruit “ the best “ from around the world to crew these aircraft, other than those merely desperate for employment , while having mismanaged the critical human resource so necessary for future success ? One would expect absolutely ZERO LOYALTY towards Emirates post COVID. Survival is critical , but the way downsizing was carried out should haunt the HR department at EK for years and years.

I'm not EK anything other than a pax myself, but I've read as much here and elsewhere. It makes sense that EK might find itself in a hiring quagmire in the coming years, so this might be interesting to watch in the coming years.

dfwking

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:50 pm

rubberdogdo wrote:

I have a lot of friends at EK. Apparently at first they laid off folks who had some major and minor mistakes on their record, e.g. calling in sick too much, customer complaints, etc. But once they went through that group, they had to cut folks who were in good standing (not sure what criteria was used here).

Lets be honest, there will be honest, there will be plenty of folks from all over the world who would still try and work for Emirates. Being able to travel the world, have a tax-free competitive salary, and free housing is a compelling pull for many people in their 20s from across the world.

kaitak

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm

I've heard that too; I believe there is a general feeling that too many crews were got rid of. The manner in which this was done has left a very bitter taste and it didn't help that TIm Clarke was reported/recorded as saying that there are no other jobs available and therefore crews would come back because they had nowhere else to go. I know a former A380 captain who is now an A330F captain with a small cargo outfit; not where he'd see himself long term, but it keeps him current and he can look for something else in due course - but no way would he go back to EK.

I'm also hearing that many 777 crews are flying c.90h a month, an indication that too many were let go.

The net effect is likely to be that EK has created a bad reputation in the pilot community and that will affect its ability to recruit, which will in turn affect its ability to return to pre-Covid crewing levels.

On the 787 subject, what is the current position? Is EK's 787 order now firm, with 30 on order, as has been reported?
Is the A350 now out of the picture?

worldranger

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:57 pm

There will always be young up and coming pilots who will take a job at EK. Back in 2016 when the shortage became an issue, EK had their HR team go back over archived applications - and cold called to elicit renewed interest. Once that was exhausted they went after (successfully) turbo -prop non jet pilots - bringing a large influx of Oz/Kiwi young guns. At one point they lowered their minimums to 1500 commercial turboprop, raising it to 2000hrs after six months - due good numbers. Next they headed to India with HR roadshows - targeting the Indigo/Spice jet pilots - successfully.

Tax free, big jets & sun - all help dim memories of the abhorrent methods EK used to dismiss/furlough - 2000+ pilots in 2020.

The older generation will never forget - unfortunately it probably wont matter.

Karma, though - works in weird ways.

Airlinerdude

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm

dfwking wrote:
rubberdogdo wrote:

I have a lot of friends at EK. Apparently at first they laid off folks who had some major and minor mistakes on their record, e.g. calling in sick too much, customer complaints, etc. But once they went through that group, they had to cut folks who were in good standing (not sure what criteria was used here).

The 'first round' of terminations were those that were still in their probationary period of employment at EK. Anyone who had only been on the property for 6 months or less (regardless of fleet) was terminated.

The 'second round' was mostly those with a disciplinary record of some sort, those with large amounts of sick leave on their record, and those with poor training records. Both 777 and 380 fleets were impacted.

The 'third round' was mostly based on seniority, axing both Capts and FOs lower on the seniority list on the 380 fleet. The last of the third round culling was in October 2020. Unpaid leave was then forced upon the majority of the remaining 380 pilots with effect from November 2020.

Bearing in mind that there were exceptions to the above, the most significant being that no Emirati pilots were laid off consistent with labour law in the UAE. But by and large, there were metrics used to terminate people. It was certainly not communicated by HR to the pilot group which is what upset relations the most because it gave the impression that anyone was vulnerable. I'm not trying to defend EK whatsoever in this instance, but I am merely pointing out that it wasn't as random as some thought it out to be. I fully believe EK could have done a better job in keeping people around by offering extended unpaid leave before terminations had to occur.

kaitak wrote:
I'm also hearing that many 777 crews are flying c.90h a month, an indication that too many were let go.

The Boeing fleet is certainly at their productivity limits, and has been since about December 2020. The largest problem has been that current pairings eat up a large amount of crew that would otherwise not. For example, some European and Asian segments that would traditionally be layovers were being operated as turnarounds. This practice was eating up a significant number of crew due to duty time limitations requiring deadheading of pilots and rest times between flights. As more 380s return to service, the Boeing fleet should see some slack.

Right now, EK has returned 25 380s to service with low utilization. They are being returned to service at a rate of about 1 a week now.

chrisnh

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Western727 wrote:

I might be wrong about this, but my inference on some of these A380s coming back to the U.S. (your Houston and our Boston) is a function of INDIA coming back. Until it does, the demand for such a large plane isn't really there. We need the India market to open up, and once it does I think a more wholesale deployment of A380s to the U.S. will happen.

Western727

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:19 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Western727 wrote:

I might be wrong about this, but my inference on some of these A380s coming back to the U.S. (your Houston and our Boston) is a function of INDIA coming back. Until it does, the demand for such a large plane isn't really there. We need the India market to open up, and once it does I think a more wholesale deployment of A380s to the U.S. will happen.

I hadn't thought about that, and I think you raise a great point. I keep letting my family-in-the-UAE bias influence my thinking about the markets that EK serves to/from the US.

xwb777
Topic Author

Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:56 pm

Emirates A380 will be back at MAD starting from 02JUL and at Zurich starting from 01JUL.

msoderstrom

Re: Emirates unveils new Premium Economy Class

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:46 am

IADFan wrote:
The wood paneling looks like a Griswold station wagon.

Hahaha! Yes, indeed. But overall, looks nice.

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:53 pm

Emirates to resume MCO with four weekly flights starting from 05JUL21.

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:55 pm

Starting from 02JUL21, Emirates will resume DXB-BCN-MEX with four weekly flights.

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:59 pm

Emirates will resume Venice from 01JUL21 with three weekly flights.

Emirates will resume Phuket starting from 02JUL21 with four weekly flights.

Emirates will resume Nice starting from 02JUL21, with four weekly flights.

Emirates will resume Lyon, starting from 09JUL21 with four weekly flights.

Emirates will resume Dubai-Larnaca-Malta, starting from 14JUL21 with three weekly flights.

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:03 pm

Emirates will resume A380 operations to the following cities:

-Madrid (EK141/142) = 02JUL21
-Washington (EK231/232) = 01JUL21
-Munich (EK49/50) = 01JUL21
-Zurich (EK87/88) = 01JUL21
-Los Angeles (EK215/216) = 01JUL21
-Toronto (EK241/242) = 01JUL21

Galwayman

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Looks fantastic, probably going be the best PE in the market

MileHFL400

Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:40 pm

Will they start retro fitting this on the T7?

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:47 pm

The PE will be installed on all future deliveries, A350, B789 and B777X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwb777
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Emirates will operate a one-off A380 flight to Tokyo Narita on 09AUG21.

myki

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:08 am

xwb777 wrote:

It's a shame that EK don't have anything smaller (the 777s are already being used) and have to resort to flying half-empty A380s around just so they can increase their network presence.

iadadd

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:36 am

EK is back to serving IAD with A380, albeit continuing with 4x weekly service compared to Daily A380 pre-covid.

If the demand still isn't there for daily a380, wouldn't it be more attractive for EK to operate a Daily 77W instead ?

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:25 am

myki wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

It's a shame that EK don't have anything smaller (the 777s are already being used) and have to resort to flying half-empty A380s around just so they can increase their network presence.

They used to have the A332, A343 and B772ER fleet before but they quickly retireed them so that they could aligned their fleet to A380/B777 for cost saving.

They have signed/ placed order for A330-300/ B787/ A330neo/ A350 way back in 2007 at earliest, however due to their "fickle minded" management (and host of other reasons), they missed the boat to bring in mid sized aircraft many times. Now bearing its brunt.

ZK-NBT

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:36 am

iadadd wrote:
EK is back to serving IAD with A380, albeit continuing with 4x weekly service compared to Daily A380 pre-covid.

If the demand still isn't there for daily a380, wouldn't it be more attractive for EK to operate a Daily 77W instead ?

They probably don’t have any spare 77W?

crownvic

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:08 am

xwb777
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:52 am

Emirates will restart services to MRU from 15JUL21, with two weekly B777 flights. The route will be operated by the A380 from 01AUG21.

Source: https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... -tourists/

Western727

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:40 pm

EK211/212 to IAH remains a 77L for my family's November trip. This is down from a 380 up to March 2020 when I cancelled my reservation due to COVID. Rebooked for a trip in late November 2020 which was supposed to be a 77W before we cancelled again. I've been watching our reservation close, in order to be able to book desirable Y seats in case they upgauge to the 77W or even the 380 down the road.

TUGMASTER

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:10 pm

77L is quite a rare beast, and didn’t EK refit the cabin of those aircraft just before Covid happened..?

TUGMASTER

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:12 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
77L is quite a rare beast, and didn’t EK refit the cabin of those aircraft just before Covid happened..?

Edit: found this

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... 7-aircraft

Western727

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:31 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

Edit: found this

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... 7-aircraft

Good to know, thank you for this. A rare beast, indeed...I've only been on the 77A and 77E, so I won't mind too much if 211/212 remains a 77L.

Airlinerdude

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:12 pm

EK is operating a one-off A380 flight as EK2561 to ATH on July 16th due to high demand. Hopefully we'll see the A380 back as a permanent fixture on ATH, BCN, MXP/JFK soon as all of these routes are operating with high LFs, particularly in the premium cabins.

As of this week, EK has 30 A380s back in service operating routes requiring about 20 aircraft.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:28 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
EK is operating a one-off A380 flight as EK2561 to ATH on July 16th due to high demand. Hopefully we'll see the A380 back as a permanent fixture on ATH, BCN, MXP/JFK soon as all of these routes are operating with high LFs, particularly in the premium cabins.

As of this week, EK has 30 A380s back in service operating routes requiring about 20 aircraft.

How is the EWR-ATH leg doing?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos