Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:13 pm

But I thought they said they would focus on the south east unless they plan on offering W flights which include PIT.

NolaMD88fan

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
msycajun wrote:
CHS-MSY always struck me as a route crying out for an Allegiant-type service. Unlike a lot of leisure routes, there would be traffic in both directions. I know a lot of people who have driven it, despite the distance. With fares routinely 2-3x those of nonstops to Florida, there's a lot of room for stimulation, especially if Breeze can do more than 2 weekly. PIT-MSY is another one that could use more service. G4 serves it for very short seasons 2 weekly - simply not frequent enough to attract more than the cheapest fares.

Didn't WN serve PIT-MSY in the past? I can't remember the details on how frequent, if they did

WN operated the route as Saturday only service on a seasonal basis for a couple of years (2018-2019) if I recall correctly

airlinepeanuts

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 pm

When are they actually starting up? Avelo jumped the gun with the announcement of routes and start up. I think if Breeze wants to capitalize on this post-Covid booking momentum, they'd want to announce something soon no?

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:11 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
When are they actually starting up? Avelo jumped the gun with the announcement of routes and start up. I think if Breeze wants to capitalize on this post-Covid booking momentum, they'd want to announce something soon no?

Announcement looks like it could come as soon as this week

Jshank83

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:15 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

I feel like people have been saying this for the last 8 weeks. haha

Wneast

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

True at this point Idk what is really holding them back from releasing the routes and details they probably were ready weeks before avelo even announced

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:22 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

True, but based of their social media, it sounds and looks imminent, whereas 3-4 weeks ago it did not.

NJFlyer27

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 pm

According to Breeze's official instagram, they are following city and state tourism sites: Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Nashville, Charleston, North Carolina, Califorina and Florida. This should be a good indication of where to expect routes.

Jshank83

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:07 pm

@PaulByrne66
David Neeleman, CEO says airline hope to fly by Summer point-to-point between small and mid-sized unserved and underserved cities #AviationFest

They better get with it if they want to fly by summer.

Jerseyguy

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 pm

80% of Breeze routes will have no direct competition. Also almost no overlap with JetBlue
https://simpleflying.com/breeze-summer-no-competition/

Sales in Mid April flights by end of May
https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/d ... 33.article

lightsaber

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:44 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:

From your (2nd) link:
By the end of 2021, the carrier plans to operate 15 aircraft on a network of 15 “rustbelt-to-sunbelt” routes.

Like ultra-low-cost peer Allegiant Air, Breeze will focus most of its flying on days of the week when leisure demand is highest – Thursday through Monday.

It makes sense to fly less on low demand days (Tuesday/Wednesday). The used E-jets are perfect for that.

“What I learned from Azul is that you need to focus on trip costs,” Neeleman says. “And we can do all this with much lower trip costs. Our planes are virtually free. We can get parts for pennies on the dollar, so our maintenance costs are low. You’ll be able to interact with us on our app, and do everything you need to do with your booking.”

I imagine cost control will be obsessive at Breeze. I can only imagine the E-jet lease terms as well as A220 purchase price.

This could be interesting... will the A220s fly more or were they cheap enough to park 2 or so days per week? :scratchchin:

Sadly, an easy time to hire.

Lightsaber

JoseSalazar

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:

From your (2nd) link:
By the end of 2021, the carrier plans to operate 15 aircraft on a network of 15 “rustbelt-to-sunbelt” routes.

Like ultra-low-cost peer Allegiant Air, Breeze will focus most of its flying on days of the week when leisure demand is highest – Thursday through Monday.

It makes sense to fly less on low demand days (Tuesday/Wednesday). The used E-jets are perfect for that.

“What I learned from Azul is that you need to focus on trip costs,” Neeleman says. “And we can do all this with much lower trip costs. Our planes are virtually free. We can get parts for pennies on the dollar, so our maintenance costs are low. You’ll be able to interact with us on our app, and do everything you need to do with your booking.”

I imagine cost control will be obsessive at Breeze. I can only imagine the E-jet lease terms as well as A220 purchase price.

This could be interesting... will the A220s fly more or were they cheap enough to park 2 or so days per week? :scratchchin:

Sadly, an easy time to hire.

Lightsaber

I did hear their network guy say they will need to fly the A220 a lot more than the 190/195s from a cost standpoint (bc the A220 will have much higher fixed costs) and were planning on high utilization with them. So, I don’t think they “stole” the 220s (or “got them for free”) like they did the 190/195 leases.

Jerseyguy

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 pm

lightsaber wrote:

There has been talk about PIT service which this info makes more likely. A bit of a shot in the dark but would Breeze be willing to take a chance on Youngstown (YNG), given its proximity to both PIT and CLE and the fact they have a smaller aircraft with lower costs than Allegiant did. I'm sure they would get terrific terms at the airport and no direct competition.

gdavis003

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

There has been talk about PIT service which this info makes more likely. A bit of a shot in the dark but would Breeze be willing to take a chance on Youngstown (YNG), given its proximity to both PIT and CLE and the fact they have a smaller aircraft with lower costs than Allegiant did. I'm sure they would get terrific terms at the airport and no direct competition.

Fingers crossed for PIT-BHM. VIA never got off the ground, and there is certainly an existing market.

lesfalls

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 pm

Other interesting points he covered from his presentation at WAF today:

-A220 to have streaming service
-“It’s more of a tech company then an airline”. Basically a lot of tech people working on the app as the game changer for the company.
-“I think we can operate the A220s from Orlando to Secondary state capitals in Brazil that Azul doesn’t handle. We’ll do some things too with the Europeans, TAP”
-“E190/E185 flights to operate mainly very short flights 15-20 minutes, maximum 2 hours. Less time in the air, less fuel burn”. In total only 4 hours a day for times with most travel.
-“A220s have 25-30% lower operating cost then the A321LR. Seat mile cost similar to a widebody but a trip cost 70% less”.

dabpit

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 pm

Flaps wrote:
A handling company that does not currently serve PIT has been interviewing for positions, "supposedly" related to Breeze. I'm struggling to remember the company name but I think it might be GAT.

Yes GAT is the one hiring an entire team at PIT and from what I gather it isn’t for the existing airlines.
gdavis003 wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Fingers crossed for PIT-BHM. VIA never got off the ground, and there is certainly an existing market.

Do not count on BHM

Over the years PIT had spent a lot of time trying to get DN (when he was with B6) to offer more than just BOS and JFK. So if PIT is one of the launch cities then Breeze got some really good deals out of them.

Guessing that we may see some combination of routes between PIT, CHS, BNA, and MSY to start with. We all know that at least one or two Florida airports will be a part of the service offering to start with. The real question is which one? PNS, ECP, DAB, SFB, MCO, LAL, TPA, or PIE? Most folks seem to think MCO or TPA. Without a question MCO will be served at some point but don’t think it will be a starting point. As crazy as it may seem, think I’m going to have to swing and say DAB. I know for certain that PIT had been trying to get G4 to start service to DAB (didn’t realize there was demand but guess there is enough for at least 2 weekly flights).

Wneast

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:40 pm

I’m guessing it might be further down the line but I wonder if we see them exercise more of the 60 options they have or do something if this works out because I don’t think one plane per month for the next ten years would will work out I’m guessing they are just starting with 60 airbus a220s to see how it goes ?

redzeppelin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:54 pm

lesfalls wrote:
“E190/E185 flights to operate mainly very short flights 15-20 minutes, maximum 2 hours. Less time in the air, less fuel burn”. In total only 4 hours a day for times with most travel.

I had three thoughts as I read this:
1. E185!?!?!?!
2. Lots of very short flights must mean they are doing milk runs!
3. Realized that 1&2 are both fantasies. :cry:

JoseSalazar

Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:59 pm

Wneast wrote:
I’m guessing it might be further down the line but I wonder if we see them exercise more of the 60 options they have or do something if this works out because I don’t think one plane per month for the next ten years would will work out I’m guessing they are just starting with 60 airbus a220s to see how it goes ?

Well, they’ll also have ~30 E190/195s, with more coming available (likely cheap) if they want them. One A220 a month for 10 years is 120 planes...so that statement by DN implies they will exercise all 60 options. For reference, 150 planes is almost 50% more than F9 and G4 have in their current fleets and is roughly the same as B6 had at their 10 year mark. Seems like a safe, achievable growth goal, with flexibility built in to it if they decide not to exercise the other 60.

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:12 pm

I'm surprised at the number of suggestions of LAL as a potential destination for a startup airline, unless said airline also plans on flying to MCO and/or TPA. It seems an incredibly risky proposition.

Flaps

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:18 pm

dabpit wrote:
Flaps wrote:
A handling company that does not currently serve PIT has been interviewing for positions, "supposedly" related to Breeze. I'm struggling to remember the company name but I think it might be GAT.

Yes GAT is the one hiring an entire team at PIT and from what I gather it isn’t for the existing airlines.
gdavis003 wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:

Do not count on BHM

Over the years PIT had spent a lot of time trying to get DN (when he was with B6) to offer more than just BOS and JFK. So if PIT is one of the launch cities then Breeze got some really good deals out of them.

Guessing that we may see some combination of routes between PIT, CHS, BNA, and MSY to start with. We all know that at least one or two Florida airports will be a part of the service offering to start with. The real question is which one? PNS, ECP, DAB, SFB, MCO, LAL, TPA, or PIE? Most folks seem to think MCO or TPA. Without a question MCO will be served at some point but don’t think it will be a starting point. As crazy as it may seem, think I’m going to have to swing and say DAB. I know for certain that PIT had been trying to get G4 to start service to DAB (didn’t realize there was demand but guess there is enough for at least 2 weekly flights).

A fair chunk of G4's SFB pax are going to DAB. There is a seasonal market but I'm not sure if it's enough to support both SFB and DAB service. It hasn't been enough to entice G4 to do it (although it has been considered and isn't out of the question) I think covid killed that possibility for now.

lesfalls

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 am

redzeppelin wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
“E190/E185 flights to operate mainly very short flights 15-20 minutes, maximum 2 hours. Less time in the air, less fuel burn”. In total only 4 hours a day for times with most travel.

I had three thoughts as I read this:
1. E185!?!?!?!
2. Lots of very short flights must mean they are doing milk runs!
3. Realized that 1&2 are both fantasies. :cry:

My apologies! The Milk runs he did say but think about it if aircraft at most will only be flying 4-5 hours.

Runway765

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:18 am

Why would they start Nashville first? There is a ton of overlap with WN.

lightsaber

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:27 am

This link goes into the lease rates of aircraft and noted reduced cost leases are benefitting startups:
https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/c ... 34.article
It estimates that market lease rates for E190s of the same age as those in Breeze’s fleet are now $88,000-$100,000 monthly, with rates for E195s of that vintage at $93,000-$105,000 monthly.

For comparison, the market lease rate for an eight-year-old E190 was $125,000 in January 2020, Cirium figures show.

In other words, an E190 lease rate dropped some where between $25 to $37k (or about 20% to 30 % lower cost). That helps the bottom line.

lesfalls wrote:
Other interesting points he covered from his presentation at WAF today:

-A220 to have streaming service
-“It’s more of a tech company then an airline”. Basically a lot of tech people working on the app as the game changer for the company.
-“I think we can operate the A220s from Orlando to Secondary state capitals in Brazil that Azul doesn’t handle. We’ll do some things too with the Europeans, TAP”
-“E190/E185 flights to operate mainly very short flights 15-20 minutes, maximum 2 hours. Less time in the air, less fuel burn”. In total only 4 hours a day for times with most travel.
-“A220s have 25-30% lower operating cost then the A321LR. Seat mile cost similar to a widebody but a trip cost 70% less”.

Everything points to cost control. "Tech company" is a translation that they will depend upon the App.
They are definitely going for only flying when customers pay a premium if 4 hours a day utilization is the goal. :faint:
That implies one crew per aircraft per day. We are looking at tight cost control.

Flying 15 to 20 minute flights on E-jets, that seems odd. I'll suspend disbelief until I see the first routes announced.

Lightsaber

Runway765

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:56 pm

So when are we going to see an announcement regarding the first routes?

ChrisNH38

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Runway765 wrote:

Imagine if airlines planned announcements like Apple does.

RL757PVD

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:24 pm

If we learned one thing will all the recent announcements is that no one will respond competitively at PVD.... The only route someone might respond on would be PVD-BNA with WN. No one would respond on like likes of PVD-PIT/CHS/ORF/JAX which are perfect for the E-jet

ZazuPIT

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Runway765 wrote:
Why would they start Nashville first? There is a ton of overlap with WN.

This is my question. Not only WN, but the ULCC's as well. If Breeze stated objective is under or unserved markets, there aren't all that many destinations that someone doesn't already offer (in the pre-COVID world, hard to keep track these days). The Nashville thread yesterday was abuzz about the Breeze 190 at BNA yesterday, apparently not parked at the Embraer facility. I'd be pleasantly surprised if BNA is an early city.

airlinepeanuts

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:59 pm

I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong at Breeze, maybe hiring? People are booking tickets for future travel at an astonishing pace right now because the Covid lockdowns are easing. It would be madness for Breeze not to get in on it.

JoseSalazar

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:56 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong at Breeze, maybe hiring? People are booking tickets for future travel at an astonishing pace right now because the Covid lockdowns are easing. It would be madness for Breeze not to get in on it.

Proving runs will hopefully be done this week or maybe next. I am guessing their launch will be announced/tickets put on sale around the time they are done (or know they will be done) with said proving runs. While advanced bookings are picking up, there are a ton of close in bookings happening as well, as the covid tides seem to turn frequently, so I don’t think they will miss out on much. Especially with their supposedly rock bottom fares. Also, most airlines have pretty lenient change policies right now, so people can adjust their schedules if they end up wanting to change things around to accommodate a new trip on Breeze. And it’s not like they have a bunch of tickets to sell anyway with 4 low frequency 190/195s, with little overlap and competition. I think they will be as ok as any startup.

Polot

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Launch announcement won’t be until they get final FAA approvals (they have DOT approvals now). No use in launching now when they still can’t technically fly commercial flights, there is a risk of launch being delayed if FAA certificate is slower than expected, and it would just give competitors more time to respond.

FLYBY72

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
80% of Breeze routes will have no direct competition. Also almost no overlap with JetBlue
https://simpleflying.com/breeze-summer-no-competition/

Mid April? Well today is the 20th.....

LotsaRunway

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:04 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:

They aren't worried! They know the first several flight will be filled with A-Netters! :spin:

airlineworker

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Runway765 wrote:

HVN first new city airport.

N292UX

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Well it appears we should hear about some of the first routes soon, so I may as well take some guess as to what they might be...
CHS-PIT/BNA/BDL
PIT-MSY
PVD-BNA

jplatts

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 pm

N292UX wrote:
Well it appears we should hear about some of the first routes soon, so I may as well take some guess as to what they might be...
CHS-PIT/BNA/BDL
PVD-BNA

WN already serves BNA nonstop from CHS, and WN adding CHS-PIT nonstop service might be a possibility with the recent adds WN made out of PIT to leisure destinations such as MYR and SRQ.

WN re-adding PVD-BNA nonstop service is a possibility with BNA being one of the top destinations that isn't currently served nonstop from PVD.

Jshank83

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:23 pm

jplatts wrote:
N292UX wrote:
CHS-PIT/BNA/BDL
PVD-BNA

WN already serves BNA nonstop from CHS, and WN adding CHS-PIT nonstop service might be a possibility with the recent adds WN made out of PIT to leisure destinations such as MYR and SRQ.

WN re-adding PVD-BNA nonstop service is a possibility with BNA being one of the top destinations that isn't currently served nonstop from PVD.

This is a Breeze thread not a WN guessing thread.

jplatts

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that some of the possible Breeze adds might also possibly be made by a competitor already serving both of the markets in question such as in the case of CHS-PIT, where a competitor already serving both CHS and PIT such as WN or G4 could add CHS-PIT nonstop service.

Jshank83

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:46 pm

jplatts wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that some of the possible Breeze adds might also possibly be made by a competitor already serving both of the markets in question such as in the case of CHS-PIT, where a competitor already serving both CHS and PIT such as WN or G4 could add CHS-PIT nonstop service.

How about we see what they actual add before we go down that rabbit hole. It is enough to speculate on Breeze routes we have no clue about, we don't need to already be moving to what other airlines might do when we don't even know the routes(or cities for that matter) yet. Save that for later or in the WN thread.

RL757PVD

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:09 pm

Considering AS is adding STS-BUR in response to Avelo, markets like PIT and even BDL will likely see notable competitive response. I cant see anyone responding at PVD outside of WN-BNA. I cant imagine anyone would respond in a meaningful way at HVN if they went there. CHS could see some response too, but curious as to who would.

hurricane4ish

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:13 pm

I spotted a Breeze E190 at Airside F in TPA yesterday afternoon when I was heading to the rental car center. It looks like it's been back and forth between ISP and Florida airports this month.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY8004/history/20210419/1200Z/KISP/KTPA

gdavis003

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 pm

One of the proving runs did make its way to BNA today, not sure if that's any indication of anything: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N19 ... /KTPA/KBNA

airlineworker

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:11 am

RL757PVD wrote:
Considering AS is adding STS-BUR in response to Avelo, markets like PIT and even BDL will likely see notable competitive response. I cant see anyone responding at PVD outside of WN-BNA. I cant imagine anyone would respond in a meaningful way at HVN if they went there. CHS could see some response too, but curious as to who would.

HVN has a large catchment area minutes away from I-95 and I-91. Years back UA had N/S 737's to ORD and they did quite well. Problem was runway 20 takeoffs were severely weight restricted due to obstructions to the north. One flight had to deplane 40 passengers. The flights I took from ORD to HVN were heavily booked and even asking for volunteers to give up their seats. That went on for almost 5 years before UA pulled out. Since then many trees were cut, overruns were added and AA has shown the E-175 and CRJ-700 work well off the runway. The displaced threshold is due to be moved backed for runway 20 landings. I don't see HVN becoming a large operation, but with 2-4 major carriers and G4 which has shown interest in HVN, it can be the airport of choice for many in the area and end the dependence and the trek to BDL.

DeltaRules

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:12 am

Flaps wrote:

How in the world is PIT "unserved" or "underserved"?

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:23 am

airlineworker wrote:

HVN has a large catchment area minutes away from I-95 and I-91. Years back UA had N/S 737's to ORD and they did quite well.

Wow. When was that?

Jerseyguy

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

HVN has a large catchment area minutes away from I-95 and I-91. Years back UA had N/S 737's to ORD and they did quite well.

Wow. When was that?

According to Wikipedia, from 1991 to 1996, United Airlines Boeing 737-300s and 737-500s flew non-stop to O'Hare

flyPIT

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 am

DeltaRules wrote:
Flaps wrote:

How in the world is PIT "unserved" or "underserved"?

PIT-BDL/IND/CVG/MKE/AUS/MSY/SAT/SAN/LAX are all un-served or under served. You can add PIT-SFO/SLC to the list the way UA and DL keep pushing back those flights.

KFTG

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:59 am

INT anyone? Or GSO?

lesfalls

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Source told me that David Neelman was supposedly sighted flying MCO-PHX-SLC yesterday.

Things must be ramping up very soon.

Polot

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Source told me that David Neelman was supposedly sighted flying MCO-PHX-SLC yesterday.

Things must be ramping up very soon.

Considering his ties to Utah that can mean anything.