Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
"I think Breeze will compete with the ULCCS as far as leisure destinations are concerned....Breeze will also be competing against the Legacy + WN for business passengers who only had hub/focus city options to now have nonstop/thru options to their destination on Breeze. 190/195 routes like SDF-MKE/CLE/PIT/STL/RIC/GSO/BHM/BOS/AUS or A220 routes like SDF-SEA/SFO/SLC/SAN. There are hundreds of routes like these in the USA"

Business travelers like non-stops but they also like frequency. I can't imagine that something like SDF-MKE can sustain any frequency, not even 2x M-F + 1x Sa-Su. Hubs allow destination sets and frequency that P2P can't touch. Even WN acknowledged the benefits of hubbing early in COVID.

I agree with your point regarding the needs of business travelers (at least on shorter-distance routes), and SDF also already has 1-stop connecting service on at least 1 US3 carrier to AUS, CLE, GSO, MKE, PIT, and RIC.

Most of the top domestic destinations traveled to from SDF that don't currently have nonstop service from SDF such as BOS, RDU, SFO, and SEA could be served nonstop by a US3 carrier.

There are also some markets in the Northeast and Southeast that might be able to support seasonal nonstop service to SEA on DL on an A220-100 but might not be able to support AS service or year-round nonstop service to SEA.
Last edited by jplatts on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunking737

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:42 pm

One thing about these guys..It was a BREEZE to order jets, they thought getting their approvals was going to be a BREEZE...Guess its not. Amazing that Avelo kept a low profile and should start flying today. Breeze had all this hype, and still waiting.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

Polot

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:54 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Amazing that Avelo kept a low profile and should start flying today. Breeze had all this hype, and still waiting.

Avelo went for the quick and easy buy an existing air certificate (Xtra Airways’ in their case) route.

Babyshark

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:54 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Business travelers like non-stops but they also like frequency. I can't imagine that something like SDF-MKE can sustain any frequency, not even 2x M-F + 1x Sa-Su. Hubs allow destination sets and frequency that P2P can't touch. Even WN acknowledged the benefits of hubbing early in COVID.

Business travelers like not traveling now.

lesfalls

Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:55 pm

lightsaber wrote:
This link goes into the lease rates of aircraft and noted reduced cost leases are benefitting startups:
https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/c ... 34.article
It estimates that market lease rates for E190s of the same age as those in Breeze’s fleet are now $88,000-$100,000 monthly, with rates for E195s of that vintage at $93,000-$105,000 monthly.

For comparison, the market lease rate for an eight-year-old E190 was $125,000 in January 2020, Cirium figures show.

In other words, an E190 lease rate dropped some where between $25 to $37k (or about 20% to 30 % lower cost). That helps the bottom line.

lesfalls wrote:
Other interesting points he covered from his presentation at WAF today:

-A220 to have streaming service
-“It’s more of a tech company then an airline”. Basically a lot of tech people working on the app as the game changer for the company.
-“I think we can operate the A220s from Orlando to Secondary state capitals in Brazil that Azul doesn’t handle. We’ll do some things too with the Europeans, TAP”
-“E190/E185 flights to operate mainly very short flights 15-20 minutes, maximum 2 hours. Less time in the air, less fuel burn”. In total only 4 hours a day for times with most travel.
-“A220s have 25-30% lower operating cost then the A321LR. Seat mile cost similar to a widebody but a trip cost 70% less”.

Everything points to cost control. "Tech company" is a translation that they will depend upon the App.
They are definitely going for only flying when customers pay a premium if 4 hours a day utilization is the goal. :faint:
That implies one crew per aircraft per day. We are looking at tight cost control.

Flying 15 to 20 minute flights on E-jets, that seems odd. I'll suspend disbelief until I see the first routes announced.

Lightsaber

Not that odd as it’s confirmed by Forbes:

“Breeze’s launch map is a network of short, sub-2-hour routes that will expand to 15 cities by July.”

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... there/amp/
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

DLASFlyer

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm

lesfalls wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
This link goes into the lease rates of aircraft and noted reduced cost leases are benefitting startups:
It estimates that market lease rates for E190s of the same age as those in Breeze’s fleet are now $88,000-$100,000 monthly, with rates for E195s of that vintage at $93,000-$105,000 monthly.

For comparison, the market lease rate for an eight-year-old E190 was $125,000 in January 2020, Cirium figures show.

In other words, an E190 lease rate dropped some where between $25 to $37k (or about 20% to 30 % lower cost). That helps the bottom line.

lesfalls wrote:

-“It’s more of a tech company then an airline”. Basically a lot of tech people working on the app as the game changer for the company.
-“I think we can operate the A220s from Orlando to Secondary state capitals in Brazil that Azul doesn’t handle. We’ll do some things too with the Europeans, TAP”
-“E190/E185 flights to operate mainly very short flights 15-20 minutes, maximum 2 hours. Less time in the air, less fuel burn”. In total only 4 hours a day for times with most travel.
-“A220s have 25-30% lower operating cost then the A321LR. Seat mile cost similar to a widebody but a trip cost 70% less”.

Everything points to cost control. "Tech company" is a translation that they will depend upon the App.
They are definitely going for only flying when customers pay a premium if 4 hours a day utilization is the goal. :faint:
That implies one crew per aircraft per day. We are looking at tight cost control.

Flying 15 to 20 minute flights on E-jets, that seems odd. I'll suspend disbelief until I see the first routes announced.

Lightsaber

“Breeze’s launch map is a network of short, sub-2-hour routes that will expand to 15 cities by July.”

Holy cow Neeleman is a loose cannon.

"“[We’ll] flash someone a message, ‘Hey, we see you're flying today. Would you like to buy a filet mignon sandwich that we can hand deliver to you in your seat?’ Just add all these fun little add-ons where you can just click ‘yes, yes, yes.’ And we can just keep dinging the credit card.”

On board, travelers will be greeted cheerfully — and controversially — by Utah college students Breeze has recruited to work as part-time flight attendants, a job Neeleman describes as essentially an internship. Underlying the program is a conviction that flight attendants don’t improve much with years of experience, and that they can get trapped in a dead-end job by the benefits of seniority.

“Humans are meant to socialize,” says Neeleman, who over the past year has publicly argued that the pandemic wasn’t dangerous enough to justify broad lockdown measures. “They’re not meant to be cooped up in their houses and walking around with masks on.”

FLYBY72

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:13 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Holy cow Neeleman is a loose cannon.

"“[We’ll] flash someone a message, ‘Hey, we see you're flying today. Would you like to buy a filet mignon sandwich that we can hand deliver to you in your seat?’ Just add all these fun little add-ons where you can just click ‘yes, yes, yes.’ And we can just keep dinging the credit card.”

On board, travelers will be greeted cheerfully — and controversially — by Utah college students Breeze has recruited to work as part-time flight attendants, a job Neeleman describes as essentially an internship. Underlying the program is a conviction that flight attendants don’t improve much with years of experience, and that they can get trapped in a dead-end job by the benefits of seniority.

“Humans are meant to socialize,” says Neeleman, who over the past year has publicly argued that the pandemic wasn’t dangerous enough to justify broad lockdown measures. “They’re not meant to be cooped up in their houses and walking around with masks on.”

Is he really going to be able to find enough part time Utah College students to staff an airline? Especially when you say it is a dead end job....

"Neeleman demurs on whether the program will save Breeze money but clearly cycling flight attendants out after they earn a four-year degree will avoid pay raises that come with seniority. After 13 years, flight attendants can make upward of $70,000 a year at Delta, United and American. Breeze, on the other hand, will pay a fixed monthly wage of $1,200 for 15 days of work, provide company housing and cover $6,000 in tuition for online coursework.

The largest U.S. flight attendants union says it looks like an attempt to abuse federal work-study subsidies to hold down labor costs. “We’re going to work hard to make sure this doesn’t get off the ground,” says Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA. "

FLYBY72

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:51 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
DN calls it like it is....refreshing to hear blunt honesty...he is obviously an entrepreneur with street smarts. All due respect but the Breeze FA gig could sound appealing to a college student not sure what to do for a career with a sense of adventure (and keep them from piling on student loan debt that can take forever to repay (unless Pocohantas has her way) ...bet they are way friendlier than many of those senior FA's of the L3+WN. Let's see....Breeze wants you to use an app for communications; fly nonstop to somewhere you want to go (vs a hub or focus city to connect) for a great fare with friendly FA's.....sign me up!

Yeah, but will they get enough takers to staff the airline? What if they don't?

Bluegrass60

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 pm

Let's see....what type job could I get with a 2 yr degree that pays me to work 15 days per month...pays for my housing and pays my tuition....and I get to FLY to various small/midsize/beach destinations in the East for free.....dagumit just look at the line I have to wait to just get my application....:)

dabpit

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 pm

To add some more context to the FAs just being college students.... Breeze is also hiring part-time FAs that are not college students and a number of corporate (non IT jobs) are required to maintain a FA license. This means that some full-time corporate staff will fill the gaps for flights.
Carpe Diem

airplaneboy

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:07 pm

dabpit wrote:
To add some more context to the FAs just being college students.... Breeze is also hiring part-time FAs that are not college students and a number of corporate (non IT jobs) are required to maintain a FA license. This means that some full-time corporate staff will fill the gaps for flights.

America West and JetBlue had similar types of setups with regards to FA staffing and as both airlines grew, they did away with these. I imagine as Breeze grows, this type of FA staffing will become logistically challenging. But it’s a good way to save on costs while they’re new.

sldispatcher

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:29 pm

Here is an airline trying to provide that often needed ‘experience’ check mark and another organization rising up to thwart it.

Who would not find the general energetic and enthusiastic nature of well selected college students to be a nice interaction on a flight?

travaz

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:09 am

If an FA works for 8 hours on each day that works out to $10.00 an hour. :(

nine4nine

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:15 am

travaz wrote:
If an FA works for 8 hours on each day that works out to $10.00 an hour. :(

Nobody’s putting a gun to anyone’s head to take the position. If a younger person wants to travel and get an free education and not be a lifelong career flight attendant then the position is perfect and I doubt they’ll have issues filling positions.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

lightsaber

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:13 am

Either the FA scheme works or it doesn't. I think there will be enough demand for jobs.

Now for that AOC...

lesfalls wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

lesfalls wrote:

Lightsaber

Sub 2 hour, sure! It is the 15 to 20 minutes flight duration that seems odd. With TSA delays, I drive that length of flights, excluding island hoping, of course.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Wingtips56

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:20 am

Just wondering if Breeze would have trouble crewing flights during Finals Week every semester/quarter. :?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

mjgbtv

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Just wondering if Breeze would have trouble crewing flights during Finals Week every semester/quarter. :?

I can't remember if this is a partnership with a particular college, but if so it is probably a high enough profile that they would work that out. Otherwise there is probably enough staggering of school schedules so that everyone's finals don't fall on the same weeks.

redzeppelin

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm

From what I've seen, the FA program is built around online courses, so final exams and the traditional academic calendar are less of an issue.

iAvgeek737

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:45 pm

So should we expect an announcement today or does "The coming days" continue to mean the coming weeks.

BA744PHX

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:
So should we expect an announcement today or does "The coming days" continue to mean the coming weeks.

Why would you expect today? If referring to the website I believe that was updated 2 weeks ago.

airlineworker

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:22 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:

I am sure they already know what cities they will serve, but airlines like to keep peoples interest on hold. I don't know why, I find it annoying and it's not in the airlines best interest.
I was told 4-5 weeks ago by airport management that in a couple of weeks an exciting announcement will be made. Still no announcement.

LotsaRunway

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:40 pm

airlineworker wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

I am sure they already know what cities they will serve, but airlines like to keep peoples interest on hold. I don't know why, I find it annoying and it's not in the airlines best interest.
I was told 4-5 weeks ago by airport management that in a couple of weeks an exciting announcement will be made. Still no announcement.

Why would it be in the airline's best interest to tell competitors what your plans are before you can begin your own sales? The timeline is not being manipulated to keep people in suspense. I'm certain that they would rather be selling tickets right now, if they could.

ChrisPBacon

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:11 pm

airlineworker wrote:
I am sure they already know what cities they will serve, but airlines like to keep peoples interest on hold. I don't know why, I find it annoying and it's not in the airlines best interest. I was told 4-5 weeks ago by airport management that in a couple of weeks an exciting announcement will be made. Still no announcement.

If they announce their markets before they are certified, other carriers could use it to jump into the markets. That's why carriers don't announce service until they are ready to sell tickets. Yes, they know what markets they plan to serve, and they've already selected at least one ground service provider. From an insider at GAT, they've got contracts for 5 cities. Couldn't get the 5 cities out of my source.

dabpit

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:33 pm

ChrisPBacon wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
I am sure they already know what cities they will serve, but airlines like to keep peoples interest on hold. I don't know why, I find it annoying and it's not in the airlines best interest. I was told 4-5 weeks ago by airport management that in a couple of weeks an exciting announcement will be made. Still no announcement.

If they announce their markets before they are certified, other carriers could use it to jump into the markets. That's why carriers don't announce service until they are ready to sell tickets. Yes, they know what markets they plan to serve, and they've already selected at least one ground service provider. From an insider at GAT, they've got contracts for 5 cities. Couldn't get the 5 cities out of my source.

Take a look at some of the places GAT is hiring.
One city that no airline currently uses GAT is PIT.
Other key places thy are hiring is CHS and RIC (hiring all same positions as PIT.
Some I can’t tell because they currently serve airlines are MSY, JAN (Jackson, MS), ECP, JAX, SDF, and Mobile.
Carpe Diem

airlineworker

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

Why would it be in the airline's best interest to tell competitors what your plans are before you can begin your own sales? The timeline is not being manipulated to keep people in suspense. I'm certain that they would rather be selling tickets right now, if they could.

Another airline could not just jump right in quickly, it takes time to get counter space, hire ground personnel, check local hotels for overnighting crews, etc. I would think an advance announcement would build up anticipation and start the ticket selling process. Sort of like a new building going up and no sign saying what the store will be.
For years airlines have kept the starting date under wraps and I don't see any advantage to doing so. Word of mouth is some of the best advertising but airlines seem to want to make a grand announcement at the airport.

FlyingElvii

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:37 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Let's see....what type job could I get with a 2 yr degree that pays me to work 15 days per month...pays for my housing and pays my tuition....and I get to FLY to various small/midsize/beach destinations in the East for free.....dagumit just look at the line I have to wait to just get my application....:)

Exactly...
The unions are going to cry havoc about it to protect their own, of course. Get ready to hear the word “PARITY!” over and over in regard to it.

Let’s look at the logic of this.
Most FA’s last two years or less, especially at non-big4 airlines. It is a high turnover position, even in bad economic times.
Of those that do stay, most drop out to raise a family or better paying opportunities within 6 years. Very few stick with FA as a career job, unless they move into management.
Some of those return later in life, and it becomes a high-paid hobby job, with travel benefits.

For a young person, this is likely an exciting opportunity that many will try to go for. There was a time, not all that long ago, when you had to send a check for $75-$100 ( much more than that in today’s dollars) to even get an FA application reviewed.

I am sure they will have no issues getting applicants. When they get bigger, it may be a different story, but for now, why not?

N292UX

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:46 pm

I still think the markets that Breeze will almost certainly include in their launch will be CHS and PIT. Outside of that I think there are a lot of possibilities. Cities like DAY, AVP, MLI, ROC, and MHT all come to mind for the "colder weather" destinations. On the flip side, places like MSY, SRQ, TPA, PBI, SFB, and ECP come to mind as possible "sun destinations." Meanwhile, I could also see cities like RIC, GSP, SDF, and CMH come to mind as other markets that may have potential with Breeze.

But regardless, I think CHS and PIT are virtual locks to be included as part of Breeze's opening routes. I would be shocked if they were not included in the opening announcement. Outside of that, I still think it's wide open.

FlyingElvii

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:02 pm

N292UX wrote:
I still think the markets that Breeze will almost certainly include in their launch will be CHS and PIT. Outside of that I think there are a lot of possibilities. Cities like DAY, AVP, MLI, ROC, and MHT all come to mind for the "colder weather" destinations. On the flip side, places like MSY, SRQ, TPA, PBI, SFB, and ECP come to mind as possible "sun destinations." Meanwhile, I could also see cities like RIC, GSP, SDF, and CMH come to mind as other markets that may have potential with Breeze.

But regardless, I think CHS and PIT are virtual locks to be included as part of Breeze's opening routes. I would be shocked if they were not included in the opening announcement. Outside of that, I still think it's wide open.

I think that a “for sure” bet is Orlando, since we have seen Breeze birds doing proving runs there. It is probably the best choice for the current environment.

If I had to guess, I would agree with CHS, I think ISP, DAY, are sure bets, and similar central and southeast cities like TYS or HSV as possibilities. Going to MCO instead of SFB makes a difference as well.

Strictly RumInt, but don’t be shocked to hear some surprises in round two like GYY, PTK, SWF, etc. Been hearing rumors about GYY becoming a base for “Someone” for several months.

dabpit

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I think that a “for sure” bet is Orlando, since we have seen Breeze birds doing proving runs there. It is probably the best choice for the current environment.

If I had to guess, I would agree with CHS, I think ISP, DAY, are sure bets, and similar central and southeast cities like TYS or HSV as possibilities. Going to MCO instead of SFB makes a difference as well.

Strictly RumInt, but don’t be shocked to hear some surprises in round two like GYY, PTK, SWF, etc. Been hearing rumors about GYY becoming a base for “Someone” for several months.

CHS and PIT aside, it is looking like a possibility that RIC, JAX, and MSY are on the short list for first destinations. As much as I’d love for a Central Florida airport in that first round, don’t think it is going to happen...maybe round two our three. Per the Forbes article they hope to be in 15 cities by July... The airports used for proving runs does not mean they will fly there.

PIT-CHS/RIC/MSY/JAX?
CHS-RIC/MSY/BNA/BUF/JAN/BTV?
JAX-RIC/MSY/BNA/BUF/JAN/BTV?
RIC-MSY/BNA/BUF/JAN/BTV?

Not saying all of those will happen but definitely some type of combination. My guess is based on an OAG article published in regards to Breeze and previous comments made by DN.
Carpe Diem

SkyVoice

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:39 pm

It has been, and continues to be, fun following Breeze's startup here on A*Net & elsewhere. But, in all of the posts & articles about Breeze's destinations, I have seen very little about CVG. Does anyone have a handle on what future CVG may have as a Breeze destination?

And, as always, thank you in advance for your responses. - SkyVoice
Addicted to opiate painkillers for 25 years; sober since 3 April, 2012

dabpit

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:53 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
It has been, and continues to be, fun following Breeze's startup here on A*Net & elsewhere. But, in all of the posts & articles about Breeze's destinations, I have seen very little about CVG. Does anyone have a handle on what future CVG may have as a Breeze destination?

CVG seems to fall outside of Breeze’s profile (i.e. it is not an underserved city) so that is why for the time being CVG probably will not have service from Breeze. Having said that, if Breeze sticks to what is publicly know with regards to the A220 do long and international routes, we could potentially see Breeze in CVG to cover those type of routes. Nothing is given until they layout where and when they will fly.
Carpe Diem

FlyingElvii

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:55 pm

SkyVoice wrote:

Very little chance of CVG, I think, given the already existing Florida coverage.

FlyingElvii

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 pm

mjgbtv wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

I can't remember if this is a partnership with a particular college, but if so it is probably a high enough profile that they would work that out. Otherwise there is probably enough staggering of school schedules so that everyone's finals don't fall on the same weeks.

A bunch of clean-cut, morally upstanding Mormon young women (and men) just back from Mission as Flight Attendants. Cool idea, but how long until the Culture Vultures try to cancel Breeze for it?

Wneast

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 pm

I could see BOI getting some long thin routes later on but it seems that they are getting a lot of attention and idk how the feel about Alaska there but they would be great

RicFlyer

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 am

dabpit wrote:
ChrisPBacon wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

Other key places thy are hiring is CHS and RIC (hiring all same positions as PIT.
Some I can’t tell because they currently serve airlines are MSY, JAN (Jackson, MS), ECP, JAX, SDF, and Mobile.

If you go to https://www.gatags.com/careers/ and look at the open positions it defiantly looks like some new airline is coming to RIC and PIT based on the positions they are recruiting. I hope we know soon where Breeze will fly.

SkyVoice

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 am

SkyVoice wrote:

dabpit wrote:
CVG seems to fall outside of Breeze’s profile (i.e. it is not an underserved city) so that is why for the time being CVG probably will not have service from Breeze. Having said that, if Breeze sticks to what is publicly know with regards to the A220 do long and international routes, we could potentially see Breeze in CVG to cover those type of routes. Nothing is given until they layout where and when they will fly.

FlyingElvii wrote:
Very little chance of CVG, I think, given the already existing Florida coverage.

O.K., I see that. I very much like the idea of Breeze serving Dayton, Ohio (DAY). Another airport in this region which deserves a look from Breeze is Lexington, Kentucky (LEX).
Addicted to opiate painkillers for 25 years; sober since 3 April, 2012

airlineworker

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:03 am

What are the New England airports that are under consideration? Underserved, MHT, ORH and HVN come to mind.

ChrisPBacon

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:36 am

airlineworker wrote:
Another airline could not just jump right in quickly, it takes time to get counter space, hire ground personnel, check local hotels for overnighting crews, etc. I would think an advance announcement would build up anticipation and start the ticket selling process. Sort of like a new building going up and no sign saying what the store will be.

For years airlines have kept the starting date under wraps and I don't see any advantage to doing so. Word of mouth is some of the best advertising but airlines seem to want to make a grand announcement at the airport.

If they already have a presence in the market (IE 2 spokes connected by a hub) then its easy. And that's part of the model Breeze is focused on. You may not see any advantage of keeping things under wraps, but if the airlines keep doing they must know it works.

FlyingElvii

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:15 am

RicFlyer wrote:
dabpit wrote:
ChrisPBacon wrote:

If you go to https://www.gatags.com/careers/ and look at the open positions it defiantly looks like some new airline is coming to RIC and PIT based on the positions they are recruiting. I hope we know soon where Breeze will fly.

I was considering this tonight, and what Neelman said about “Secondary cities to secondary cities” came back to me.

What airport has direct beach access, fairly easy access to Disney and Orlando, as well as being very near a cruise port, and is considered to be “Underserved?”.

Melbourne...
Or more precisely, Melbourne Orlando International, which recently landed TUI flights from Europe. A little research shows several recruiting ads for airport support personnel “hiring urgently”, and Menzies looking for fuelers. Definitely underutilized, with six jetways, and a couple of ground boarding gates, plus an International gate. And much less expensive to operate from than MCO, or even SFB. And an Embraer Corporate Maint Base on the other side of the field.

They announced a $61 million dollar terminal Reno and expansion in September.

No head’s up competition to anywhere, and a known quantity to northeast travelers. With the Disney Magical Express buses to MCO ending, but the buses to the cruise port continuing, it ads even more intrigue in my mind.

And then I remembered this:
“The Walt Disney Company is about to enter the domestic aviation travel industry! Starting in 2021, The Disney Company will acquire smaller regional airlines to focus it’s operations on offering flights out of Orlando to and from major airport hubs including Detroit, Chicago, LaGuardia, and LAX. ...

The airlines will be “wrapped” with famous Marvel and princess themes to help celebrate your big trip. Disney is to stay competitive with rates that are just as affordable as South West Airlines and United. One perk that passengers can look forward to is if your staying at an onsite Disney resort within 48 hours of your flight, your first bag is checked free of charge for every passenger.” Remember hoe Eastern used to do it, on the “ Official” Disney flights?

Airports such as ISP, PHF, GYY, PTK, SWF, TTN, ENW, etc would fit in very well with this concept, with access to both the park, and the cruises.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc ... in-orlando

The more I consider this, especially considering the Brightline expansion to Disney in the works, the more sense it makes....

Now would be great time to start up, with little profit pressure expectation for the next two years, getting the systems and procedures in place to make it all work.

BOSman

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:42 am

airlineworker wrote:
What are the New England airports that are under consideration? Underserved, MHT, ORH and HVN come to mind.

Personally I hope they end up in PVD. It's had better success in recent years than the other airports in the region, but I think it needs an airline to give it a little love.

Delta350

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 am

Y'all are forgetting BHM and keep skipping over it.
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)

hooforce

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:27 am

RicFlyer wrote:
dabpit wrote:
ChrisPBacon wrote:

Good call RicFlyer! I hope RIC lands Breeze - this would be spectacular! Hoping to hear something official soon!

ChrisNH38

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 am

airlineworker wrote:

It could well be that no New England airport gets picked. This is the first list, and based on only a handful of aircraft. So the two have to match (meaning a short list at first).
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

Bluegrass60

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 am

Some of the GAT hiring is for Spirit operations. SDF is one. I do also think SDF is on some list for Breeze. SDF-ECP comes to mind.

nkops

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 pm

I am a little confused why everyone keeps saying MCO when it was said "secondary" cities. I would think SFB,MLB or DAB would more fit that category.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

RL757PVD

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm

These secondary cities need to be able to support point to point flying that’s not to places like MCO/FLL, so my guess is they will be more on the medium size cities that would likely never have a chance of being linked.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

airlineworker

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:23 pm

BOSman wrote:
airlineworker wrote:

Personally I hope they end up in PVD. It's had better success in recent years than the other airports in the region, but I think it needs an airline to give it a little love.

I don't see PVD as being underserved, the level of service is quite good.

DeltaRules

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:06 pm

RicFlyer wrote:
dabpit wrote:
ChrisPBacon wrote:

What specific career fields are we searching? They're looking for cargo agents at CMH, for example, but I don't know if that's for below-wing work for existing airlines or a harbinger of things to come (and doesn't indicate if CSR positions already exist and have been filled, aren't being sought, etc.).
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

seat1a

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:14 pm

Does Wilmington fit into Breeze's criteria? Curious if ILG-LAX/SFO/LAS would be viable. Just a thought.

FLYBY72

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:24 pm

Well, guess we can cross an April start off the list....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos