Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Jerseyguy
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:24 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Sort of related to Breeze expansion, but I wonder when the U.S. Census releases city population numbers later this year if airlines such as Breeze and Allegiant will look at more expansion into growing metros.


Well the suburbs between Austin and San Antonio are among the fastest growing areas in the nation. G4 is expanding Austin and MX (Breeze) has San Antonio. Here's something no one is likely looking at (maybe because its not worth it I don't know) but Round Rock/Georgetown area in the North Austin Suburbs is also expanding greatly. Especially for Georgetown, Killeen (GRK) is just as easy to get to as AUS and if developers start moving north when all the good sites are taken it would be even more convenient. Breeze would do well to see if they can find some city pairs to start there and get into GRK's good graces as the area continues to expand there is more opportunities.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22707
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Crankyflier has what I consider a balanced article on Breeze (more than I quote, for copywrite reasons):
https://crankyflier.com/2021/07/27/bree ... -fortunes/

The new schedule has it down from scheduling 11 airplanes down to 10. One aircraft now has canceled the morning roundtrip to Richmond (cxl #1), creating a morning spare in Charleston. It then also canceled the evening roundtrip from Charleston to Columbus (cxl #2) so that it could absorb the Pittsburgh – Hartford roundtrip that used to operate off a Norfolk-based airplane. That Norfolk-based airplane will no longer fly to Pittsburgh (cxl #3), and in fact, it’s no longer in the schedule at all.

There’s a New Orleans-based airplane that used to start the day flying to Tulsa, on to San Antonio, and then back before doing a Norfolk turn. Now it will still go to Tulsa but it now sits around for hours waiting to just come back to New Orleans instead of flying to San Antonio (cxl #4). It also has a longer sit in New Orleans before going to Norfolk.

Finally on Thursday/Sunday, one Charleston-based aircraft will not fly the morning roundtrip to Louisville (cxl #5). It will remain a spare in the morning until it flies in the afternoon.


There are good charts that basically show Breeze realizes they need more spare aircraft (one more, to be specific).
But also:
… it’s also been a challenging summer with weather and delays and, as you recall, we had a very short sales window so while the flights are doing well, they are not full. The decision was made to reduce the 4x frequencies to 2x to have a full time spare aircraft for those occurrences and give the airline more time to build sales.

So it does seem they over-reached commercially. Not a big deal overall, but it looks like demand wasn't quite high enough for 4x/week on some routes and operationally, the E-19x need one more spare aircraft. So this leaves me wondering, is this all late introduction into service of E190 or is Breeze slowing intentionally to get the name out (lack of the window to advertise I hypothesize).

Lightsaber
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:15 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
Sort of related to Breeze expansion, but I wonder when the U.S. Census releases city population numbers later this year if airlines such as Breeze and Allegiant will look at more expansion into growing metros.


Well the suburbs between Austin and San Antonio are among the fastest growing areas in the nation. G4 is expanding Austin and MX (Breeze) has San Antonio. Here's something no one is likely looking at (maybe because its not worth it I don't know) but Round Rock/Georgetown area in the North Austin Suburbs is also expanding greatly. Especially for Georgetown, Killeen (GRK) is just as easy to get to as AUS and if developers start moving north when all the good sites are taken it would be even more convenient. Breeze would do well to see if they can find some city pairs to start there and get into GRK's good graces as the area continues to expand there is more opportunities.


So is Northwest Arkansas.

If they can hold out, there's a boon for Ark/Texas match ups going forward as well as Texas is going to the SEC
.
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:24 am

lightsaber wrote:

So it does seem they over-reached commercially. Not a big deal overall, but it looks like demand wasn't quite high enough for 4x/week on some routes and operationally, the E-19x need one more spare aircraft. So this leaves me wondering, is this all late introduction into service of E190 or is Breeze slowing intentionally to get the name out (lack of the window to advertise I hypothesize).

Lightsaber
While which routes were pulled back on frequency was likely commercially based, it simply came down to an Aircraft issue. Had the aircraft issue not been there, everything would still be operating as planned
 
Jetport
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 pm

flightsimer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

So it does seem they over-reached commercially. Not a big deal overall, but it looks like demand wasn't quite high enough for 4x/week on some routes and operationally, the E-19x need one more spare aircraft. So this leaves me wondering, is this all late introduction into service of E190 or is Breeze slowing intentionally to get the name out (lack of the window to advertise I hypothesize).

Lightsaber
While which routes were pulled back on frequency was likely commercially based, it simply came down to an Aircraft issue. Had the aircraft issue not been there, everything would still be operating as planned


How do you know this, the spokesman admitted aircraft were not full? You may see the glass half full, I have always thought Breeze was a huge risk. I think they are trying to find a tiny niche in a saturated market. They only reason for the hype is that anything Neeleman does seems to get lots of fawning from the press with very little skepticism and analysis.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 2341
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:58 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
Sort of related to Breeze expansion, but I wonder when the U.S. Census releases city population numbers later this year if airlines such as Breeze and Allegiant will look at more expansion into growing metros.


Well the suburbs between Austin and San Antonio are among the fastest growing areas in the nation. G4 is expanding Austin and MX (Breeze) has San Antonio. Here's something no one is likely looking at (maybe because its not worth it I don't know) but Round Rock/Georgetown area in the North Austin Suburbs is also expanding greatly. Especially for Georgetown, Killeen (GRK) is just as easy to get to as AUS and if developers start moving north when all the good sites are taken it would be even more convenient. Breeze would do well to see if they can find some city pairs to start there and get into GRK's good graces as the area continues to expand there is more opportunities.


Plus Breeze could draw from Fort Hood if they could find out the bases demographics as far as hometowns etc. They could also connect the large army military bases cities such as GRK to FAY or RDU (Fort Bragg) GRK to BNA (Fort Campbell) GRK to SAV (Fort Stewart).
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22707
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:21 pm

Jetport wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

So it does seem they over-reached commercially. Not a big deal overall, but it looks like demand wasn't quite high enough for 4x/week on some routes and operationally, the E-19x need one more spare aircraft. So this leaves me wondering, is this all late introduction into service of E190 or is Breeze slowing intentionally to get the name out (lack of the window to advertise I hypothesize).

Lightsaber
While which routes were pulled back on frequency was likely commercially based, it simply came down to an Aircraft issue. Had the aircraft issue not been there, everything would still be operating as planned


How do you know this, the spokesman admitted aircraft were not full? You may see the glass half full, I have always thought Breeze was a huge risk. I think they are trying to find a tiny niche in a saturated market. They only reason for the hype is that anything Neeleman does seems to get lots of fawning from the press with very little skepticism and analysis.

In my opinion, the partial weekly frequency market is hugely underserved. No one bats a thousand, Breeze needs to adjust frequency to market demand.

If I could, I personally would invest in Breeze because it has great potential. There is tons of skepticism; Neeleman just has a proven track record of identifying underserved niches; he doesn't repeat priir strategies, he goes after the next niche.

I am sad there is a little stumbling early on, but overall, Breeze is getting established. The first year is the hardest to shake down hiring, training, aircraft acquisition, and initial routes. Growth from positive word of mouth is Neeleman's strategy (saves on advertising). I posted early in this thread the abismal customer satisfaction ratings of the competing airlines in the less than daily frequency range. That leaves a niche wide open if done well.

Lightsaber
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Jetport wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
While which routes were pulled back on frequency was likely commercially based, it simply came down to an Aircraft issue. Had the aircraft issue not been there, everything would still be operating as planned


How do you know this, the spokesman admitted aircraft were not full? You may see the glass half full, I have always thought Breeze was a huge risk. I think they are trying to find a tiny niche in a saturated market. They only reason for the hype is that anything Neeleman does seems to get lots of fawning from the press with very little skepticism and analysis.

In my opinion, the partial weekly frequency market is hugely underserved. No one bats a thousand, Breeze needs to adjust frequency to market demand.

If I could, I personally would invest in Breeze because it has great potential. There is tons of skepticism; Neeleman just has a proven track record of identifying underserved niches; he doesn't repeat priir strategies, he goes after the next niche.

I am sad there is a little stumbling early on, but overall, Breeze is getting established. The first year is the hardest to shake down hiring, training, aircraft acquisition, and initial routes. Growth from positive word of mouth is Neeleman's strategy (saves on advertising). I posted early in this thread the abismal customer satisfaction ratings of the competing airlines in the less than daily frequency range. That leaves a niche wide open if done well.

Lightsaber


"Agree. Please also note that AA and WN have had their own summer melt downs that impact way more people/perceptions. The Breeze model has huge potential and am confident Breeze will overcome these challenges and be the better for them. "
 
luv2cattlecall
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:25 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am

Jetport wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

So it does seem they over-reached commercially. Not a big deal overall, but it looks like demand wasn't quite high enough for 4x/week on some routes and operationally, the E-19x need one more spare aircraft. So this leaves me wondering, is this all late introduction into service of E190 or is Breeze slowing intentionally to get the name out (lack of the window to advertise I hypothesize).

Lightsaber
While which routes were pulled back on frequency was likely commercially based, it simply came down to an Aircraft issue. Had the aircraft issue not been there, everything would still be operating as planned


How do you know this, the spokesman admitted aircraft were not full? You may see the glass half full, I have always thought Breeze was a huge risk. I think they are trying to find a tiny niche in a saturated market. They only reason for the hype is that anything Neeleman does seems to get lots of fawning from the press with very little skepticism and analysis.


I seem to remember quite a bit of skepticism with B6, especially once Song came into the picture. But then, and as far as I can remember, every time since then, Neeleman has very consistently lived up to the "hype".

Having flown a few flights on Breeze, and having flown NK/FL quite a bit, I would gladly pay a premium to be on Breeze. I would actually pay more to get a nonstop on Breeze vs any other carrier - the crew really are "Nice", very consistently.
 
HeartofFlorida
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
The supposed Breeze crew bases?
MSY, TPA, CHS and ORF.

https://www.airlinepilotcareers.com/bre ... rAOsxn6vuY


After all the talk about underserved cities, I can't wait for them to launch a bunch of routes to those four from cities which already have service from some combination of G4/NK/F9/WN/maybe one legacy already.


They will probably add a few routes with Frontier/Spirit/Allegiant on it, but overall those cities have loads of unserved opportunities from them.

I think a lot of people took Breeze saying underserved wayyy too seriously. They gotta fill E190s and get revenue flowing in. Can’t be making a bunch of risky gambles. Like flying to Lakeland or Macon for example.

Direct Air already proved the Lakeland market could sustain charter (limited) flights which ran circles around the smaller airports with regular service in terms of ridership back in 2011. All the flights were booked to capacity with flights to Myrtle Beach SC, Hagerstown MD, Springfield IL and Niagara Falls NY. The company had plans to make Lakeland a focus destination and had announced additional flights from Columbus OH, Plattsburgh NY and San Juan before going under. Null and void now, LOL. Lakeland's biggest problem is and will always be proximity to Tampa/Orlando. Unless a carrier sees the untapped potential of the now approaching 1 million Lakeland metro market, Lakeland will continue to be the largest population center in the state without air service.
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:28 am

Closed on 200 million in additional funding… https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... leman/amp/
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22707
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:47 pm

flightsimer wrote:
Closed on 200 million in additional funding… https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... leman/amp/

From your link:
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.
...
“We’re seeing decent bookings in the fall, too, because when we started selling, people wanted to go in the summer but hotel rooms were either gone or expensive, and rental cars were hard to come by,” he said. “But now in the fall, things are more reasonable, and people are saying ‘let’s do it.'”


It looks like they have found a nice, just that more money is needed to ride out the variants.

From:
https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... ases-rise/
A day earlier, Utah-based Breeze Airways said it raised $200 million in funding from sources including investment manager BlackRock on top of $135 million in earlier funding.
...
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.

“It depends on the routes, they’re in the 60s and 70s,” Neeleman said, referring to load factors. “Considering we started out late, we’re really happy with it.”


This is an extensive war chest. Investors wouldn't invest unless they see a business case. While 60% to 70% load factors aren't outstanding, they can be explained by the late start. The Breeze business model appeals to me, I just live out in California where it isn't likely I'll get to try them soon.

Lightsaber
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:41 pm

lightsaber wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
Closed on 200 million in additional funding… https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... leman/amp/

From your link:
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.
...
“We’re seeing decent bookings in the fall, too, because when we started selling, people wanted to go in the summer but hotel rooms were either gone or expensive, and rental cars were hard to come by,” he said. “But now in the fall, things are more reasonable, and people are saying ‘let’s do it.'”


It looks like they have found a nice, just that more money is needed to ride out the variants.

From:
https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... ases-rise/
A day earlier, Utah-based Breeze Airways said it raised $200 million in funding from sources including investment manager BlackRock on top of $135 million in earlier funding.
...
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.

“It depends on the routes, they’re in the 60s and 70s,” Neeleman said, referring to load factors. “Considering we started out late, we’re really happy with it.”


This is an extensive war chest. Investors wouldn't invest unless they see a business case. While 60% to 70% load factors aren't outstanding, they can be explained by the late start. The Breeze business model appeals to me, I just live out in California where it isn't likely I'll get to try them soon.

Lightsaber
The investment doesn’t have anything to do with Covid really, it’s mostly earmarked for expansion and other programs.

It will be Sooner than you think!
 
KCaviator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm

flightsimer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
Closed on 200 million in additional funding… https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... leman/amp/

From your link:
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.
...
“We’re seeing decent bookings in the fall, too, because when we started selling, people wanted to go in the summer but hotel rooms were either gone or expensive, and rental cars were hard to come by,” he said. “But now in the fall, things are more reasonable, and people are saying ‘let’s do it.'”


It looks like they have found a nice, just that more money is needed to ride out the variants.

From:
https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... ases-rise/
A day earlier, Utah-based Breeze Airways said it raised $200 million in funding from sources including investment manager BlackRock on top of $135 million in earlier funding.
...
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.

“It depends on the routes, they’re in the 60s and 70s,” Neeleman said, referring to load factors. “Considering we started out late, we’re really happy with it.”


This is an extensive war chest. Investors wouldn't invest unless they see a business case. While 60% to 70% load factors aren't outstanding, they can be explained by the late start. The Breeze business model appeals to me, I just live out in California where it isn't likely I'll get to try them soon.

Lightsaber
The investment doesn’t have anything to do with Covid really, it’s mostly earmarked for expansion and other programs.

It will be Sooner than you think!


Are you low-key hinting at an Oklahoma expansion?
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:46 pm

KCaviator wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
From your link:
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.
...
“We’re seeing decent bookings in the fall, too, because when we started selling, people wanted to go in the summer but hotel rooms were either gone or expensive, and rental cars were hard to come by,” he said. “But now in the fall, things are more reasonable, and people are saying ‘let’s do it.'”


It looks like they have found a nice, just that more money is needed to ride out the variants.

From:
https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... ases-rise/
A day earlier, Utah-based Breeze Airways said it raised $200 million in funding from sources including investment manager BlackRock on top of $135 million in earlier funding.
...
Demand for the flights — which Neeleman says Breeze stimulates by bringing nonstops to unserviced routes — should be high enough for the airline to succeed, based on the load factors it’s currently seeing.

“It depends on the routes, they’re in the 60s and 70s,” Neeleman said, referring to load factors. “Considering we started out late, we’re really happy with it.”


This is an extensive war chest. Investors wouldn't invest unless they see a business case. While 60% to 70% load factors aren't outstanding, they can be explained by the late start. The Breeze business model appeals to me, I just live out in California where it isn't likely I'll get to try them soon.

Lightsaber
The investment doesn’t have anything to do with Covid really, it’s mostly earmarked for expansion and other programs.

It will be Sooner than you think!


Are you low-key hinting at an Oklahoma expansion?

Haha well technically they did say that next bases will likely be build ups of cities already served… I guess we will just have to wait to find out
 
NolaMD88fan
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:43 pm

Looking forward to spotting the Breeze livery on the A220 at MSY soon! Curious to see what routes will be added.
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:23 am

A220s arrive beginners big October. MX says will be Q2 22 before they are scheduled.
 
CFWAD
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:47 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
A220s arrive beginners big October. MX says will be Q2 22 before they are scheduled.


Where you hear that? That is an incredible amount of downtime before entering service. Makes zero sense especially given the the holiday season they will clearly want to profit off of.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:55 am

CFWAD wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
A220s arrive beginners big October. MX says will be Q2 22 before they are scheduled.


Where you hear that? That is an incredible amount of downtime before entering service. Makes zero sense especially given the the holiday season they will clearly want to profit off of.


Maybe break them in on charter work?
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:14 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
A220s arrive beginners big October. MX says will be Q2 22 before they are scheduled.

This is incorrect, at least partly.

First one is to be delivered in second half of October. They likely will be flying sometime in Q1, but no official date is set.

The down time will be because we will have to do a whole new set of proving runs, evacuation trials, manual revisions, Aircraft inspections/conformity, etc before the FAA will add them to the certificate. That takes time and as we saw with Initial certification, the FAA can take longer to do things than were planned for.
 
CFWAD
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:35 am

flightsimer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
A220s arrive beginners big October. MX says will be Q2 22 before they are scheduled.

This is incorrect, at least partly.

First one is to be delivered in second half of October. They likely will be flying sometime in Q1, but no official date is set.

The down time will be because we will have to do a whole new set of proving runs, evacuation trials, manual revisions, Aircraft inspections/conformity, etc before the FAA will add them to the certificate. That takes time and as we saw with Initial certification, the FAA can take longer to do things than were planned for.


This timeline and explanation makes a little more sense. Still seems an incredibly long window with the financial backing and technical expertise behind this operation. Not like the A220 is new to the FAA. And the commercial side would love to have it running by December, I am sure.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 12099
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:29 am

CFWAD wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
A220s arrive beginners big October. MX says will be Q2 22 before they are scheduled.

This is incorrect, at least partly.

First one is to be delivered in second half of October. They likely will be flying sometime in Q1, but no official date is set.

The down time will be because we will have to do a whole new set of proving runs, evacuation trials, manual revisions, Aircraft inspections/conformity, etc before the FAA will add them to the certificate. That takes time and as we saw with Initial certification, the FAA can take longer to do things than were planned for.


This timeline and explanation makes a little more sense. Still seems an incredibly long window with the financial backing and technical expertise behind this operation. Not like the A220 is new to the FAA. And the commercial side would love to have it running by December, I am sure.

Look at the delay Breeze has experienced just getting the E190 in service- and that is just a shortened version of the aircraft they were already operating. Financial backing has little to do with it, and Breeze while having a lot of technical experts is still a new airline with people still new with working with each other, and working internally and externally with the FAA.

Things can run slow with the FAA, and covid has made things run slower. And to add to that the planes are being first delivered at a bad time of the year. Starting in late November we are entering the holiday season where things always slow down because more people are taking off to enjoy holidays and burn excess PTO that they might lose.

Look at JetBlue. They received their first A220 on Dec 31 but it did not enter service until April 26. Delta received their first A220 in late October 2018 and the plane did not entered service until February 2019.
 
BBDFlyer
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:00 pm

There are a lot of hurdles to operating a new aircraft type. One is that at least one of the pilots needs to have at least 100 hours in the type, so when an airline receives a new airplane, captains will fly the plane together with no passengers until there are enough pilots with 100 hours on property. This is to avoid a”green on green” situation.
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:13 pm

BBDFlyer wrote:
There are a lot of hurdles to operating a new aircraft type. One is that at least one of the pilots needs to have at least 100 hours in the type, so when an airline receives a new airplane, captains will fly the plane together with no passengers until there are enough pilots with 100 hours on property. This is to avoid a”green on green” situation.
That not exactly true…
In general Green on Green is to be avoided, but a Airline can apply for deviations from the regs to allow it and if the first people are Check pilots it doesn’t matter anyways. Breeze did not fly any empty legs for people to build hours.
 
BBDFlyer
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:52 am

flightsimer wrote:
BBDFlyer wrote:
There are a lot of hurdles to operating a new aircraft type. One is that at least one of the pilots needs to have at least 100 hours in the type, so when an airline receives a new airplane, captains will fly the plane together with no passengers until there are enough pilots with 100 hours on property. This is to avoid a”green on green” situation.
That not exactly true…
In general Green on Green is to be avoided, but a Airline can apply for deviations from the regs to allow it and if the first people are Check pilots it doesn’t matter anyways. Breeze did not fly any empty legs for people to build hours.

Breeze hired quite a few pilots with time on type already.
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:24 pm

BBDFlyer wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
BBDFlyer wrote:
There are a lot of hurdles to operating a new aircraft type. One is that at least one of the pilots needs to have at least 100 hours in the type, so when an airline receives a new airplane, captains will fly the plane together with no passengers until there are enough pilots with 100 hours on property. This is to avoid a”green on green” situation.
That not exactly true…
In general Green on Green is to be avoided, but a Airline can apply for deviations from the regs to allow it and if the first people are Check pilots it doesn’t matter anyways. Breeze did not fly any empty legs for people to build hours.

Breeze hired quite a few pilots with time on type already.

Everyone hired to date has time on type, however the FAA would not accept E170/175 time as time on the E190/195 even though it’s the same type rating… so everyone has been required to consolidate to 100hrs.
 
PeopleMover
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:50 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Any info on this MXY07
A320 out of FLL

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY7
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:26 am

PeopleMover wrote:
Any info on this MXY07
A320 out of FLL

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY7

Probably just a flightaware screw up.
 
gdavis003
Posts: 989
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:04 am

PeopleMover wrote:
Any info on this MXY07
A320 out of FLL

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY7


Could also be a screw up from using MX as the callsign for maintenance in order to perform a taxi test or something of the nature
 
BTVB6Flyer
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Probably nothing at all, but found it interesting Breeze is newly leasing cargo building space at TPA. Could be just storage space they need for whatever, but find it interesting nonetheless.

https://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defa ... Breeze.pdf
 
docmtl
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Any feedback on the E190/195 fleet with Breeze ? They have 13 E-Jets flying out there, and even though passengers like these planes, are they getting a decent ROI out of them ?

Previous posts in this forum have suggested that the A220 will not be available for quite some time, hence my question...

docmtl
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:57 pm

Anecdotally Breeze had reported "many routes were profitable on a variable cost basis and they closed on $200M of added financing

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-08-18/
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4607
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:17 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Anecdotally Breeze had reported "many routes were profitable on a variable cost basis and they closed on $200M of added financing

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-08-18/


Neeleman is going down in history as an airline startup wizard. I really wish he would make a go at getting an old lost legacy carrier back to flying again! I mean, something like the Pan Am name would have been pretty amazing. Yeah, trust me, I know all about the 15 other reincarnated Pan Am startups that failed. But if Neeleman named the new airline Pan Am for example, it would flourish under his plan.

Before anyone flames me, again I know the name deserves to rest. But the nostalgia in me would love to see that airline fly and be successful again. Neeleman? Are you listening?
 
flightsimer
Posts: 1173
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:04 am

docmtl wrote:
Any feedback on the E190/195 fleet with Breeze ? They have 13 E-Jets flying out there, and even though passengers like these planes, are they getting a decent ROI out of them ?

Previous posts in this forum have suggested that the A220 will not be available for quite some time, hence my question...

docmtl

13 in fleet, only 11 flying. One is a spare and the 13th is still being readied for service.

Is Breeze getting a decent ROI? Absolutely.

The A220 will be in the Breeze fleet in 7 weeks. EIS won’t be until sometime in Q1 2022 though.
 
User avatar
diverdave
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:00 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 pm

Looks like HSV-MSY is gone from the Breeze schedule. :(

HSV-TPA and HSV-CHS continue at 2x per week.
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:22 pm

MSY was hit with a hurricane. Airport is closed I would guess
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm

sunking737 wrote:
MSY was hit with a hurricane. Airport is closed I would guess


No, flights were cut before hurricane and not bookable to the end of the current booking window.

OKC/TUL/XNA were cut to twice weekly. A frequency they should have likely started with.
 
luv2cattlecall
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:25 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:50 pm

Polot wrote:
CFWAD wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
This is incorrect, at least partly.

First one is to be delivered in second half of October. They likely will be flying sometime in Q1, but no official date is set.

The down time will be because we will have to do a whole new set of proving runs, evacuation trials, manual revisions, Aircraft inspections/conformity, etc before the FAA will add them to the certificate. That takes time and as we saw with Initial certification, the FAA can take longer to do things than were planned for.
Financial backing has little to do with it, and Breeze while having a lot of technical experts is still a new airline with people still new with working with each other, and working internally and externally with the FAA.


You have some great points, but based on the team members I had a chance to chat with on the inaugural flight, it definitely felt like Breeze has a warchest of folks from other Neeleman airlines (and other very successful carriers as well, especially G4) with tons of experience, including working together and with the FAA.

More than the ability to raise an extra $200 million, the fact that he was able to get so many people to leave very senior/secure positions at other airlines and uproot and move to Utah tells me that they're absolutely on a very successful trajectory.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25486
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:55 pm

Interview with Neeleman looking ahead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christophe ... e-to-stay/

Lets see how the added $200mil in the bank and counterculture views such as not having a reservations number customers can call play out in the longer term.
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:50 pm

I do not see a problem in re lack of 800 number. My own experience this summer with WN and DL (am Platinum on DL) resulted in long waits for basic help. As long as the app works....who needs an 800 number?

Ads covering content on this site...now that is REALLY Annoying
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 22707
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:35 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Interview with Neeleman looking ahead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christophe ... e-to-stay/

Lets see how the added $200mil in the bank and counterculture views such as not having a reservations number customers can call play out in the longer term.

Your link notes the average busy period response time is under 20 minutes for Breeze. Much better than waiting hours for a phone call

Since they must use the app, they will perfect the app. I use the example of other airline apps pre-pandemic. They were a waste of my time, more marketing with enough functionality I could travel. Now slick, but the buying a flight is less sleek than Breeze.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Having no phone fallback will force further app improvements. So far, seems good.

Lightsaber
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9883
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:02 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Necessity is the mother of invention. Having no phone fallback will force further app improvements.


That's an interesting tautology you present. It's possible they'll just continue to have lousy customer interface options.

Did WN's shortage of planes and staff make them run a more on-time operation in July, with more ASMs per aircraft? It emphatically did not.
 
User avatar
9lflyguy
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:06 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
I do not see a problem in re lack of 800 number. My own experience this summer with WN and DL (am Platinum on DL) resulted in long waits for basic help. As long as the app works....who needs an 800 number?

Ads covering content on this site...now that is REALLY Annoying


A 800 number these days is basically worthless. Most younger people in my generation and below, which I believe is a good portion of Breeze's target audience would rather text than call for support. I'm a little old-fashioned, I'd rather talk to a person but as time progresses, live telephone support will all but disappear.

Also, its 2021. Get an ad blocker. Solves that second problem really quick.
 
Bluegrass60
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:22 pm

I fail to see any possible way of comparing 13 aircraft Breeze to 700+ plane Southwest
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 742
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 pm

Imo not having the ability to call someone is a recipe for disaster. Not everyone has a smartphone (for instance my wife)

Skybus tried the same concept using online self-service options, but let me tell you it all went to hell when a planeload of folks just got cancelled or, you are stuck in some small station without help when the ground handler has merely a couple staff members on duty who themselves are left helpless.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:36 pm

UPlog wrote:
Imo not having the ability to call someone is a recipe for disaster. Not everyone has a smartphone (for instance my wife)

Skybus tried the same concept using online self-service options, but let me tell you it all went to hell when a planeload of folks just got cancelled or, you are stuck in some small station without help when the ground handler has merely a couple staff members on duty who themselves are left helpless.


This is not a fair comparison. The percentage of people who used, and were proficient enough in the usage of, smartphones when SkyBus was around was much lower than today. This forced people to need a computer. Also, many mobile websites were completely non functional then.

Now, a huge majority of people have, use, and are good at using smartphones. The small percentage of people who aren’t are unlikely to be booking themselves onto Breeze.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25486
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Obviously, Neeleman free to shape his company the way he wants, but not everyone has smartphone nor likes self-service tools such an app.

And as far as smartphones, yes the majority of the U.S population has them especially in the under 50 urban crowd, but usage drops off among older and rural Americans.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:32 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Obviously, Neeleman free to shape his company the way he wants, but not everyone has smartphone nor likes self-service tools such an app.

And as far as smartphones, yes the majority of the U.S population has them especially in the under 50 urban crowd, but usage drops off among older and rural Americans.


Yes but that seems to not be their target audience; hence the lack of support tools for that demographic.

They are going for the market that is tech savvy enough to use Uber or Lyft. If they can’t handle those apps then they aren’t even in Breeze’s target demographic. Why worry about them?
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25486
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:20 pm

I am not sure Breeze's target consumer is the young tech-savvy urbanite.

Having built a route map around heartland city, low-frequency leisure flying seems more akin to Allegiant's* customer base than the once Virgin America.

(* per Allegiant investor presentation their biggest demographic customer is a Gen X or older Gen Y "budget traveler" that would have been most likely to fly Southwest prior or drive for their trip.)
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:04 pm

My aunts are both in their 70’s and have no problem working iPhones. Just 10 years ago they needed my help turning on their printer. I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is. Tech savvy does not mean a 22 year old in San Francisco working for a tech firm. The vast majority of Americans can work an iPhone.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos