Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:40 pm

UPlog wrote:
Imo not having the ability to call someone is a recipe for disaster. Not everyone has a smartphone (for instance my wife)

Skybus tried the same concept using online self-service options, but let me tell you it all went to hell when a planeload of folks just got cancelled or, you are stuck in some small station without help when the ground handler has merely a couple staff members on duty who themselves are left helpless.

One example: In some stores I haven't stopped at a register in over a year. At first the apps were clunky and I had to decide if I waited in a line or skipped buying some items. Now, the app works and the self help is so intuitive. The app feedback was sufficient.
By forcing customers onto the app, the software improved fast to keep customers, I would guess 95% use the app. Considering that store now has 8 fewer employees per shift, the app has a positive ROI in my opinion.

I imagine that will be similar for Breeze. They'll need to go through a few irops to iron everything out, but they will. Even better, support is centralized so you don't have idle employees at outstations. The app should prevent needing several employees per flight.

Lightsaber

rj777

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:56 am

Wonder if Breeze will eventually serve OMA?

Metrocard

Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:30 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Yes but that seems to not be their target audience; hence the lack of support tools for that demographic.

They are going for the market that is tech savvy enough to use Uber or Lyft. If they can’t handle those apps then they aren’t even in Breeze’s target demographic. Why worry about them?

I definitely would not be comparing the current iteration of the Breeze app to Uber or Lyft in terms of functionality or usability. Also, you can find a large number of complaints posted online and on various platforms from Breeze customers who were upset about the lack of a phone number or a physical person to talk to after things failed to go as planned. It's easy to keep talking about this "younger tech savvy target audience" but that's not exactly who you see sitting in the departure lounges at Breeze gates or filling the planes. What I've seen so far are crowds of people who appear to be in their 30s-40s and families who found "cheap" nonstop tickets to somewhere like New Orleans or Charleston for the weekend or those who've discovered an easier way to get from one small, arguably undersized, market to another. It's not as if the average person boarding a plane are avgeeks or the type of people interested enough in the subject to post on this forum. Most of these people couldn't care less about David Neeleman or his concept. People see relatively cheap airfare to a place they need/want to go and they book it. Having flown them myself I see nothing at all that would appeal to the "tech savvy, young adult", at least not one who resides in a major market. That's not to say that things won't be different 10 years from now but as of today this app is nothing worth praising and there is a consistent enough demand for a phone number from the people who are actually utilizing their services.

There's also that part where the app was virtually useless during the beginning of their summer operations.

flightsimer

Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Metrocard wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
Yes but that seems to not be their target audience; hence the lack of support tools for that demographic.

They are going for the market that is tech savvy enough to use Uber or Lyft. If they can’t handle those apps then they aren’t even in Breeze’s target demographic. Why worry about them?

I definitely would not be comparing the current iteration of the Breeze app to Uber or Lyft in terms of functionality or usability. Also, you can find a large number of complaints posted online and on various platforms from Breeze customers who were upset about the lack of a phone number or a physical person to talk to after things failed to go as planned. It's easy to keep talking about this "younger tech savvy target audience" but that's not exactly who you see sitting in the departure lounges at Breeze gates or filling the planes. What I've seen so far are crowds of people who appear to be in their 30s-40s and families who found "cheap" nonstop tickets to somewhere like New Orleans or Charleston for the weekend or those who've discovered an easier way to get from one small, arguably undersized, market to another. It's not as if the average person boarding a plane are avgeeks or the type of people interested enough in the subject to post on this forum. Most of these people couldn't care less about David Neeleman or his concept. People see relatively cheap airfare to a place they need/want to go and they book it. Having flown them myself I see nothing at all that would appeal to the "tech savvy, young adult", at least not one who resides in a major market. That's not to say that things won't be different 10 years from now but as of today this app is nothing worth praising and there is a consistent enough demand for a phone number from the people who are actually utilizing their services.

There's also that part where the app was virtually useless during the beginning of their summer operations.

Breeze knows the exact number of support requests and the exact number of telephone calls Made.

This is an non-issue. 99.9995% of of all support requests were made strictly through the messaging interface or the individual solved themselves before the company replied to their message.

N292UX

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:29 pm

With the A220s nearing delivery, I can't help but wonder if Breeze will actually launch MSY-Central/South America routes like Neeleman said recently. MSY-SAP/PTY are already served but MSY-SJO/SAL a couple times weekly seems possible for Central America. MSY-BOG seems like the only logical starter route for South America IMO.

I also think there is potential for several other Central/South American routes outside of MSY. Routes like TPA-SJO/SAL/BOG, along with maybe 1-2 routes out of SAT. Winter Saturday-only flights to places like SJO from PIT seems like a possibility too.

b777900

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm

We new a new carrier at SBY come on Breeze >>.. MHT is a good one and what about BGR?

lightsaber

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:53 pm

N292UX wrote:
With the A220s nearing delivery, I can't help but wonder if Breeze will actually launch MSY-Central/South America routes like Neeleman said recently. MSY-SAP/PTY are already served but MSY-SJO/SAL a couple times weekly seems possible for Central America. MSY-BOG seems like the only logical starter route for South America IMO.

I also think there is potential for several other Central/South American routes outside of MSY. Routes like TPA-SJO/SAL/BOG, along with maybe 1-2 routes out of SAT. Winter Saturday-only flights to places like SJO from PIT seems like a possibility too.

I believe the A220 will be used on longer routes.

https://www.airway1.com/neeleman-says-a ... 20s-range/
Airbus is developing an ultra-long range variant of the A220, according to David Neeleman. The founder of Breeze Airways revealed the information on Friday during the launch of the new airline in the U.S.

“It is under way, so we are… kind of arguing about when. But it is not a matter of ‘if,’ it is just a matter of ‘when’,” Neeleman

It is a question of when. I see Breeze picking new cities that can be served by multiple existing destinations. I envision Breeze first going out further domestically. However, experience at JetBlue and Azul will lead to an early international launch. The A220 will take time to induct, but it really changes Breeze's operations due to range and lower unit costs.

On another topic, has anyone tracked Breeze's aircraft utilization? I'm curious.

Lightsaber

KCaviator

Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:11 pm

Breeze is going to wreck havoc on mid-size coast-to-coast routes. This is going to open up a lot of markets.

RL757PVD

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:57 am

KCaviator wrote:
Breeze is going to wreck havoc on mid-size coast-to-coast routes. This is going to open up a lot of markets.

PVD/ORF/CHS/RIC-LA/SF/PHX/SAN all at 4x weekly

BDL/CMH will be interesting as they have some existing western US markets. 50/50 chance AA would respond in BDL-PHX since they have every other hub covered. But markets like SAN to BDL/CMH should have safe from competition.

I'm more curious on what their western US portfolio will look like airport wise

Wneast

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:02 am

RL757PVD wrote:
KCaviator wrote:

BDL/CMH will be interesting as they have some existing western US markets. 50/50 chance AA would respond in BDL-PHX since they have every other hub covered. But markets like SAN to BDL/CMH should have safe from competition.

I hope we see BOI have a good amount to breeze

RWA380

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:26 am

Wneast wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
KCaviator wrote:

What destinations can you see, that'll fit the Breeze business model out of BOI, they are looking for unserved or under-served.

Wneast

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:29 am

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

What destinations can you see, that'll fit the Breeze business model out of BOI, they are looking for unserved or under-served.

BWI,ANC,MCO,HNL or OGG others but those are some I could see

RWA380

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:41 am

Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

How about markets consistent with the E-190/195 under 2 hour flights, they currently fly. If Breeze is flying BOI-HNL, it'll be about a year after they start their ETOPS program with the FAA with their A-220's.

People complain about the 737 to Hawaii, it's expensive to fly there, I'd think BWI or MCO may be good, I think Breeze should tailor XNA to Walmart needs & build up as big as is feasible.

Bluegrass60

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm

SDF will get A220s going west/northwest...and would not be surprised if SDF is a stop on the way to/from East/West...offering direct/one-stop service....maybe even a cx or 2. RIC/ORF-SDF-SEA/SFO as example

ATLgaUSA

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:07 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
SDF will get A220s going west/northwest...and would not be surprised if SDF is a stop on the way to/from East/West...offering direct/one-stop service....maybe even a cx or 2. RIC/ORF-SDF-SEA/SFO as example

At that point, the flights aren’t really any more competitive than connecting through a hub and those connections will offer a much better selection of departure times/days.

flightsimer

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:31 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

How about markets consistent with the E-190/195 under 2 hour flights, they currently fly. If Breeze is flying BOI-HNL, it'll be about a year after they start their ETOPS program with the FAA with their A-220's.

People complain about the 737 to Hawaii, it's expensive to fly there, I'd think BWI or MCO may be good, I think Breeze should tailor XNA to Walmart needs & build up as big as is feasible.

What Breeze is attempting when it comes to timelines does not coincide with what other airlines have done in the past.

The A220 will also offer a very good product to Hawaii. Will the A220 be flying ETOPS routes right out of the gate? No, not in the first few months. Will they be flying ETOPS by the end second half of 2022? I absolutely expect them to be.

luv2cattlecall

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:37 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
KCaviator wrote:

AA might be able to respond in the sense that they could also provide a transportation product, but absolutely no way they'll be able to match the overall experience. Mainline inflight has been decent, but the Envoy ground staff and AA's phone support have been consitently underwhelming lately. DL and to an lesser extent UA have had a good reputation with folks I know who travel a significant amount, but definitely not the case with AA.

Everyone I know whose tried Breeze has been very happy, with comments along the lines of "it makes me actually look forward to a trip", and I think that vibe will be a huge advantage when opening up new markets. There have been a few delays and cancellation, but the handling of those situations has been praised.

flightsimer

Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:37 pm

lightsaber wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I believe the A220 will be used on longer routes.

On another topic, has anyone tracked Breeze's aircraft utilization? I'm curious.

Lightsaber

It will, now that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t find itself on shorter routes that make sense for utilization or product offering on the route.

TPA planes are probably in the 10-14Hrs a day range during the week. Saturdays, the planes maybe do 6-8 or so hours. Not sure of the other bases.

RWA380

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 pm

flightsimer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

What Breeze is attempting when it comes to timelines does not coincide with what other airlines have done in the past.

The A220 will also offer a very good product to Hawaii. Will the A220 be flying ETOPS routes right out of the gate? No, not in the first few months. Will they be flying ETOPS by the end second half of 2022? I absolutely expect them to be.
r themselves that must

Even WN, who has decades of familiarity with their chosen 737-800's took over a year to gain ETOPS 180 approval for their Hawaii flights, they also paid a kings ransom in fees, filings & the actual ETOPS proving flights, flew one leg WN likely won't fly soon, HNL-DAL.

SO honestly, for a newbie carrier, with a brand new type of aircraft 2 years likely. Even if the aircraft comes ETOPS it's the carrier themselves that will need to be approved. Maybe they should start with overwater flights up to Alaska first.

F9Animal

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:43 am

flightsimer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Hawaii? I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon. I don't know if they are getting the A220 ETOPS certified, but that would be pretty interesting if they did. Very good investment if that's the case.

Wneast

Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:46 am

F9Animal wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Hawaii? I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon. I don't know if they are getting the A220 ETOPS certified, but that would be pretty interesting if they did. Very good investment if that's the case.

They said they would also they mentioned Western Europe so they have to have etops

ASFlyer

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:59 am

Wneast wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

They said they would also they mentioned Western Europe so they have to have etops

so wait. You're trying to say they're going to use an all coach A220 to Europe? :roll:

Bluegrass60

Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:53 pm

A220 LR to 4,000 nautical miles is what Breeze has asked for.....current range is 3,400 nautical miles.

Initial A220 routes will be in continental USA to existing stations in the East and to/from to be named station(s) in the West

WaywardMemphian

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:30 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

As someone that lives in NWA, please describe Walmart needs to me.

NWA needs as it's population continues to grow is more and more well priced leasure options. The business options were well covered pre covid with nonstops to LAX, MSP, ORD, DWF, IAH, DCA, LGA/EWR, PHI, MIA, CLT, SFO, DEN, ATL. I suppose BOS and SLC from DL would be nice. There's a chance they could stand on their own as a leasure route at 2x weeklies as well.

Since Breeze has entered the market with MSY, SAT and TPA, others(G4 and F9)have added MCO, HOU, AUS, PIE, FLL, LAS

What's missing is more affordable west coast destinations as lots of newbies from there have moved here. The A220 suits that but that doesn't mean anything from a Walmart POV.

Population growth trends show a near doubling of the region from a bit over 500k now to 1 million around 2040. It is a growth market for sure and a long term play.

razorbackfan

Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:41 pm

I have checked Breeze website for flights in Spring, and the furthest out I see booking is the 2nd week of February. Its been this way for awhile, and appears to be all markets. That is only 5 months out from now, while most carriers are 11 months or so out. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Will there be major route changes as of the 2nd week of February? I'd think 5 months out you should be able to book flights.

flightsimer

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:15 pm

razorbackfan wrote:
I have checked Breeze website for flights in Spring, and the furthest out I see booking is the 2nd week of February. Its been this way for awhile, and appears to be all markets. That is only 5 months out from now, while most carriers are 11 months or so out. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Will there be major route changes as of the 2nd week of February? I'd think 5 months out you should be able to book flights.

Your not going to see routes until they are closer to launch, just like the Airline’s EIS.

The difference is that the Airline starting was delayed causing the 6 day window of sales… I would expect 1-2 months of presales for routes going forward.

flightsimer

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:16 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

so wait. You're trying to say they're going to use an all coach A220 to Europe? :roll:

The A220’s are not all coach, NOT EVEN CLOSE actually!

ASFlyer

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:31 pm

flightsimer wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Breeze is going to offer a First Class cabin? Will it have lie flats?

Wneast

Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:32 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

Breeze is going to offer a First Class cabin? Will it have lie flats?

Yeah they mentioned a possibility for some lie flat configured cabins but they will offer a domestic type first class

RWA380

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:58 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

NWA needs as it's population continues to grow is more and more well priced leasure options. The business options were well covered pre covid with nonstops to LAX, MSP, ORD, DWF, IAH, DCA, LGA/EWR, PHI, MIA, CLT, SFO, DEN, ATL. I suppose BOS and SLC from DL would be nice. There's a chance they could stand on their own as a leasure route at 2x weeklies as well.

Since Breeze has entered the market with MSY, SAT and TPA, others(G4 and F9)have added MCO, HOU, AUS, PIE, FLL, LAS

What's missing is more affordable west coast destinations as lots of newbies from there have moved here. The A220 suits that but that doesn't mean anything from a Walmart POV.

Population growth trends show a near doubling of the region from a bit over 500k now to 1 million around 2040. It is a growth market for sure and a long term play.

To clarify my muddy comment, I was poorly referring to the destinations Walmart Employees & their families would want to go, but of course I also mean the destinations Walmart sales & executives travel to & from business destinations.

I had one of my favorite people move to NWA from PDX & the photos are pretty. the temptation is too much, I expect I will visit Arkansas via XNA in the next 6 months. I would love to have our RDM-DFW n/s in place only requiring 1 en-route change.

I was thinking XNA should be a "focus city" for Breeze & hopefully locking in a long term strategy that cements Breeze as the XNA airline as this area grows over the years, It's going to expand as you say.

I've been on Zillow. What I can sell this modest 3br/2ba home, with 1.75 acres & a full size working barn with fenced paddock, we could buy a nice 2.000 sq foot 3br/3ba with full garage & a lake or river view, not front. Just a thought for what happens once our time here comes to an end.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:11 am

RWA380 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

To clarify my muddy comment, I was poorly referring to the destinations Walmart Employees & their families would want to go, but of course I also mean the destinations Walmart sales & executives travel to & from business destinations.

I had one of my favorite people move to NWA from PDX & the photos are pretty. the temptation is too much, I expect I will visit Arkansas via XNA in the next 6 months. I would love to have our RDM-DFW n/s in place only requiring 1 en-route change.

I was thinking XNA should be a "focus city" for Breeze & hopefully locking in a long term strategy that cements Breeze as the XNA airline as this area grows over the years, It's going to expand as you say.

I've been on Zillow. What I can sell this modest 3br/2ba home, with 1.75 acres & a full size working barn with fenced paddock, we could buy a nice 2.000 sq foot 3br/3ba with full garage & a lake or river view, not front. Just a thought for what happens once our time here comes to an end.

Maybe it will.

The increase in housing prices the past year is insane. $250 a sq. ft. In Fayetteville for new builds isn't unheard of. I paid $79 21 years ago and it's paid for, lol. It's tripled in value according to recent sales in the hood. Only moving we'll be doing is retiring to Newton Co in a cabin overlooking the Buffalo River in the Ozarks and traveling.

As for Walmart, the corporation itself has a sizable private operation . It isn't even at XNA, it's at the Rogers Muni Airport. It is where the CBP has an office, lol.

It is funny seeing General Mills and Kelloggs each now having their name slapped on a new midrise next to each other in Rogers overlooking Top Golf and the Walmart Amp. All kinds of vendors have stuff set up in Fayetteville for the Ark/Texas game tommorrow.

razorbackfan

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:26 am

flightsimer wrote:
razorbackfan wrote:

Your not going to see routes until they are closer to launch, just like the Airline’s EIS.

The difference is that the Airline starting was delayed causing the 6 day window of sales… I would expect 1-2 months of presales for routes going forward.

I’m referring to routes that already exists and not new routes. Being able to book only 5 months out makes me think we could see some major route changes coming soon.

razorbackfan

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:28 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Maybe it will.

The increase in housing prices the past year is insane. $250 a sq. ft. In Fayetteville for new builds isn't unheard of. I paid $79 21 years ago and it's paid for, lol. It's tripled in value according to recent sales in the hood. Only moving we'll be doing is retiring to Newton Co in a cabin overlooking the Buffalo River in the Ozarks and traveling.

As for Walmart, the corporation itself has a sizable private operation . It isn't even at XNA, it's at the Rogers Muni Airport. It is where the CBP has an office, lol.

It is funny seeing General Mills and Kelloggs each now having their name slapped on a new midrise next to each other in Rogers overlooking Top Golf and the Walmart Amp. All kinds of vendors have stuff set up in Fayetteville for the Ark/Texas game tommorrow.

NWA isn’t cheap anymore guys. Yeah it’s not as expensive as say Austin, but where new builds used to be $110 sq ft is no more. We just finished building in Bville this summer and it’s about $200 sq ft. Yeah it’s still cheaper then other places, but not like it used to be.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Will be a good one I hope.

Bluegrass60

Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 pm

razorbackfan wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
razorbackfan wrote:

I’m referring to routes that already exists and not new routes. Being able to book only 5 months out makes me think we could see some major route changes coming soon.

"Breeze prides itself on being nimble. Booking to 5 months out supports that "nimbleness". I suspect 1-2 new stations could happen beginning in March/April....just in time for Spring Break. The A220s might be flying by then as well"

RWA380

Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Maybe it will.

We'll be watching from up here if we can, Yes, like Intel Walmart has a select jets at their disposal. I'm not contending that others can't be Walmart, I'm saying Breeze would be wise to see how much they can offer the XNA market.

We are experiencing all the same pricing issues, plus since our area has about 150k in population, over 3 counties, huge labor shortages, which means, highest payer gets the workers. Your home sounds awesome man & what an advantage to getting into the area before the boon.

We did that in Lake Oswego OR, buying a home in 1972 that ended up, allowing us to divide the lot & resell at over 1mil. We have a cottage on Kauai as well.

flightsimer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:47 pm

First A220 has finally rolled out of the paint booth! The airline has officially confirmed an additional 20 A220-300’s making us the second largest user for the time being.

https://fb.watch/7-7hL--VFU/

Painting time lapse and rollout.

cledaybuck

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:21 pm

razorbackfan wrote:

WN only has flights available through 1/5 right now (granted, this changes in a couple of days) and NK thorough 3/8. It is not unusual for LCC's to only have 6 months or so of flights available.

fireman0174

Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:48 pm

F9Animal wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Does any U.S. carrier that is currently flying the A-220 have ETOPS authority? Or any carrier outside of the U.S?

flightsimer

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:35 pm

fireman0174 wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

Does any U.S. carrier that is currently flying the A-220 have ETOPS authority? Or any carrier outside of the U.S?

I don’t believe any US carrier does.

It may be possible some of the European carriers do as I know a few of them run their’s on some pretty long flights.

Blerg

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:35 pm

That's one nice looking A220. Anyone know where it will be based or will they move them around depending on demand? I wonder what parameters and criteria they will take consideration of when deciding where to schedule the A220 and where the Embraer.

Bluegrass60

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/breeze-ai ... ery-order/

"Neeleman previously said that Breeze’s low operating and capital cost structure means that the airline could break even with just 50 or 60 passengers aboard each flight. The Embraer 195 aircraft the airline is currently flying can seat 118 passengers, so load factors in the 60s and 70s means about 70 to 95 passengers per flight — far above that metric.

Although Breeze declined to share details on expected first routes for the A220, it did say that service with the new aircraft is expected to begin in the second quarter of next year."

FLYKTPA

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Blerg wrote:
That's one nice looking A220. Anyone know where it will be based or will they move them around depending on demand? I wonder what parameters and criteria they will take consideration of when deciding where to schedule the A220 and where the Embraer.

Breeze mentioned it’ll be anything over 2 hours. So
TPA-XNA or TUL are examples. Along with new routes of course.

Blerg

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:04 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Breeze mentioned it’ll be anything over 2 hours. So
TPA-XNA or TUL are examples. Along with new routes of course.

Interesting. So it will be E95 under 2 hours and A220 anything above it. Will be interesting to see what happens once they start getting more of them.

MIflyer12

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:43 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/breeze-airways-a220-livery-order/

"Neeleman previously said that Breeze’s low operating and capital cost structure means that the airline could break even with just 50 or 60 passengers aboard each flight. The Embraer 195 aircraft the airline is currently flying can seat 118 passengers, so load factors in the 60s and 70s means about 70 to 95 passengers per flight — far above that metric.

There's a yield forecast implicit in that assertion. Yield is, in part, a function of competition.

marcogr12

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Instead of flying the E195, why don't they order the smaller member of the A220 family, the A221 for thinner routes and long thin ones? The A221 can seat 125 pax comfortably

lightsaber

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Instead of flying the E195, why don't they order the smaller member of the A220 family, the A221 for thinner routes and long thin ones? The A221 can seat 125 pax comfortably

Because the E190/195 were acquired cheap.
https://crankyflier.com/2020/02/07/davi ... the-aisle/
On Flying Embraer 195s Short-Haul With Low Utilization
David: I’ve got a bunch of guys on the team that were at Allegiant. And this plane has a 15 to 20 percent lower trip cost than Allegiant’s [A]320. We think we can fly a lot of markets that couldn’t be flown by a 180-seat airplane without planning to have 122 seats on it. So we think between the 74-seat regional planes and 150 to 180 seats, this is a niche that we can fill, and we can serve a lot of markets.

We got the planes for a really great price and if you look at what Azul is paying for them versus what we’re paying for them, and then we negotiated some other things on the maintenance side…

Whenever you have a plane that is starting to get parted out, parts are a lot cheaper and they’ll be seven-, eight-year old airplanes. These are ones that came along late in the thing and then the E2s came along so they got obsoleted, but they’re kind of new in a sense. We’ll have an advantage on maintenance, advantage on capital costs. It just works good for low-utilization, four hours a day, five hours a day.[/i]

There is a huge amount more in the link. Quick answer is the E-jets are for low utilization duty. That link notes executives by name who came from Allegiant who really know the "only fly when customers pay more" model of airline. That requires really low purchase costs (so the airline isn't paying much when they sit).

The A220s will, in my opinion, fly a lot more hours per week. They'll fly red-eyes, they will park at distant airports with crew in the hotel instead of the E19x model of you always sleep in your own bed. While the model doesn't really depend on the plane type, it does depend on the purchase price. The A220s are just too expensive (in monthly payments) to be flown as the E19xs are right now.

Now, when the A220s age out, say 12+years after first delivery, they could be put into lower utilization duty. There is a reason Allegiant always buys used (excluding end of the line orders they received a good deal on, I assume), if the aircraft doesn't fly a lot of hours, fixed costs (cost to purchase) matters more than variable costs (cost in maintenance and fuel per flight hour).

Lightsaber

T4thH

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:51 am

flightsimer wrote:
fireman0174 wrote:
F9Animal wrote:

It may be possible some of the European carriers do as I know a few of them run their’s on some pretty long flights.

Air Austral. The delivery of the 3x A220-300 to Air Austral was late, because they were waiting for the ETOPS 180 certification. And as they have been delivered, these three must have the ETOS 180 certificate.

INFINITI329

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 am

First Breeze A220 is out of the paint shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyJqm0gtvRo

Polot

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 am

T4thH wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
fireman0174 wrote:

Air Austral. The delivery of the 3x A220-300 to Air Austral was late, because they were waiting for the ETOPS 180 certification. And as they have been delivered, these three must have the ETOS 180 certificate.

I was under the impression Air Austral’s A220s were late more due to UU’s financial troubles, not ETOPS. ETOPS is not actually needed for many of its routes, and the A220 has been ETOPS180 approved since January 2019. Although obviously each individual airline needs to get their own certificate, I don’t think that is actually possible until they have the planes in hand as UU has to demonstrate their readiness- not Airbus Canada on behalf of UU.

T4thH

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 am

Polot wrote:
T4thH wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

I was under the impression Air Austral’s A220s were late more due to UU’s financial troubles, not ETOPS. ETOPS is not actually needed for many of its routes, and the A220 has been ETOPS180 approved since January 2019. Although obviously each individual airline needs to get their own certificate, I don’t think that is actually possible until they have the planes in hand as UU has to demonstrate their readiness- not Airbus Canada on behalf of UU.

Yes, I have also heard both. It seems not officially, the reason was regarding financial issues (a bank has had guaranteed the financing of the new build A220 and has then withdrawn), but the "officially" stated reason shall have been the pending/late A220 ETOPS 180 certification.
So perhaps both or the second reason (pending certification) was just used by the airline to take up the planes later.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos