Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AZORMP

Re: Breeze - News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:43 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
N292UX wrote:
I could see GRR for sure. Maybe TVC during the summer. Maybe.

GRR isn’t a secondary city for air travel.

Sure it is. It ranked 74th for arrival and departing domestic passengers in 2019, 1/9th the traffic of DTW, according to RITA BTS data.

And it also has service from Allegiant, Frontier, and Southwest in addition to the three legacies. For an airline that is looking to fly unserved routes from secondary cities, GRR is not the place to be especially if the routes are to the US Southeast.

BA744PHX

Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:08 pm

AZORMP wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
AZORMP wrote:

GRR isn’t a secondary city for air travel.

Sure it is. It ranked 74th for arrival and departing domestic passengers in 2019, 1/9th the traffic of DTW, according to RITA BTS data.

And it also has service from Allegiant, Frontier, and Southwest in addition to the three legacies. For an airline that is looking to fly unserved routes from secondary cities, GRR is not the place to be especially if the routes are to the US Southeast.

From the FAA they have 4 classifications of airports, Large, Medium, Small and None, GRR falls into the 3rd category of Small. Accounting for between 0.05% and 0.25% of total U.S. passenger enplanements.

So yes GRR is a a secondary city/airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... ted_States

F9Animal

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:50 pm

ejl01 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
Any insight on the cabin arrangement, seat selection and style? Are they using Azul’s existing cabin or doing a complete overhaul? All I know is that the Embraers will be all economy. When are we going to see some interior pics?

Safran's Z110i seats for Economy and Z600 for Business: https://www.safran-seats.com/media/safran-seats-deliver-z110i-and-z600-sfe-seats-airbus-a220-20210323

Those seats look nice! Especially the all white ones. Doubt Breeze would go with the all white ones though. One glass of red wine would create a mess.

AZORMP

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:14 am

BA744PHX wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

From the FAA they have 4 classifications of airports, Large, Medium, Small and None, GRR falls into the 3rd category of Small. Accounting for between 0.05% and 0.25% of total U.S. passenger enplanements.

That’s nice, but I’m not talking about what the FAA says it is.

Breeze’s mission is to provide point to point service between secondary cities in underserved markets. GRR is by no means underserved with DL, AA, UA, G4, F9, and WN all fighting for market share in a facility that is already overcrowded (the TSA checkpoint alone is an absolute mess).

The FAA may say GRR is a “secondary facility”. That doesn’t mean the market is.

Polot

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:48 pm

AZORMP wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
AZORMP wrote:

Breeze’s mission is to provide point to point service between secondary cities in underserved markets. GRR is by no means underserved with DL, AA, UA, G4, F9, and WN all fighting for market share in a facility that is already overcrowded (the TSA checkpoint alone is an absolute mess).

To be frank I think you are reading too much into Breeze’s marketing. They are going to be serving plenty of major markets (not necessarily from the main airport though). It won’t all be underserved city-underserved city. They want to fly to places people want to go.

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:40 pm

Moxy headed down to TPA again from ISP for another proving run

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MXY8004

BA744PHX

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 pm

AZORMP wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
AZORMP wrote:

You can choose to believe what you want (you don't appear to be correct for obvious reasons) but facts are facts. Unless your a "fake news" type of person.

There are many other airports with the same type of service you are referring to that are also secondary. I'm not sure what your fascination with GRR being considered otherwise.

freakyrat

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
SBN-EWR did very well on UA before UA dropped most RJ flying out of EWR. ISP and HPN are to far from Manhattan but maybe one of them would work.

Can you provide a source backing up SBN-EWR “did very well for UA.” I’m curious as to why if it did so well why didn’t AA or DL jump on SBN-LGA/JFK when UA exited SBN-EWR. Or why didn’t UA simply shift the flight to SBN-IAD to keep an east coast option for SBN travelers?

The local UA folks have asked for a SBN-IAD flight. UA also was running the EWR flight twice daily when Notre Dame was in session. UA does run the SBN-EWR flights however on a seasonable basis. The Pandemic didn't allow them to do it last year. It will probably come back this fall. The closing of Expressjet was another factor. Another problem in UA running the SBN-EWR flight was the on time performance of evening return flight which would cause a crew delay on the following morning flight to EWR. Same for FWA-EWR although FWA could not generate enough passengers.

AA is doing well connecting NYC bound passengers through CLT and prior to the pandemic was planning a SBN-PHL flight.

Local Delta people have been asked and have answered an RFP from Delta to run a SBN-JFK flight. This was prior to the pandemic. It may still happen.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

freakyrat wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
SBN-EWR did very well on UA before UA dropped most RJ flying out of EWR. ISP and HPN are to far from Manhattan but maybe one of them would work.

Can you provide a source backing up SBN-EWR “did very well for UA.” I’m curious as to why if it did so well why didn’t AA or DL jump on SBN-LGA/JFK when UA exited SBN-EWR. Or why didn’t UA simply shift the flight to SBN-IAD to keep an east coast option for SBN travelers?

The local UA folks have asked for a SBN-IAD flight. UA also was running the EWR flight twice daily when Notre Dame was in session. UA does run the SBN-EWR flights however on a seasonable basis. The Pandemic didn't allow them to do it last year. It will probably come back this fall. The closing of Expressjet was another factor. Another problem in UA running the SBN-EWR flight was the on time performance of evening return flight which would cause a crew delay on the following morning flight to EWR. Same for FWA-EWR although FWA could not generate enough passengers.

AA is doing well connecting NYC bound passengers through CLT and prior to the pandemic was planning a SBN-PHL flight.

Local Delta people have been asked and have answered an RFP from Delta to run a SBN-JFK flight. This was prior to the pandemic. It may still happen.

So instead of simply saying “no, I don’t have a source” you say the “UA folks have asked for a IAD flight.” Are you a “UA folk at SBN” or do you just hang out there every day trying to drum up misinformation?! This is such irresponsible rumor mongering it shouldn’t be allowed. There’s zero data to support “the SBN-EWR UA flight did very well.”

Mods - why do you allow this?

freakyrat

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

So instead of simply saying “no, I don’t have a source” you say the “UA folks have asked for a IAD flight.” Are you a “UA folk at SBN” or do you just hang out there every day trying to drum up misinformation?! This is such irresponsible rumor mongering it shouldn’t be allowed. There’s zero data to support “the SBN-EWR UA flight did very well.”

Mods - why do you allow this?

I grew up in South Bend and have contacts in management at the the airport who have the data. In fact I learned to fly in SBN.

Local UA mgrs have asked for a replacement flight to IAD and have asked for two daily flights to DEN. The UA EWR flight was established for the local business community and the NYC area became the top business destination from SBN. The flight also according to the DOT stimulated traffic into the BOS area. The reason local United Express Management at SBN are asking for the Denver flights is to provide an alternate to ORD for Westbound connections due to weather delays and cancellations that tend to plague ORD.

SBN-EWR has a long history with the airport. EWR was the first jet destination from SBN when United Airlines Caravelle jet service was established at the airport. The flight had to make a stop in Ft. Wayne because SBN didn't have the Runway length at the time to allow a nonstop flight.

According to SBN Airport Management and Prior to American returning to SBN the top business markets from SBN were 1. NYC 2. DFW 3. AUS and 4. Houston. So there is no irresponsible rumor mongering anywhere. The airport has the passenger and economic data to back everything up.
I also realize that traffic trends do change and I wouldn't be surprised if the Texas area is now the top business market from SBN.

Cboyle

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:49 am

Any word on when initial routes will be announced?

amcnd

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:03 am

I know crews know what the base choices are..

Cboyle

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:05 am

amcnd wrote:

What will the bases be? I’m assuming CHS, ECP, and TPA, correct?

flightsimer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:19 am

amcnd wrote:

No they don’t.

flightsimer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 am

Cboyle wrote:
Any word on when initial routes will be announced?

Very soon!

sfojvjets

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:32 am

We know the rough details of Breeze's plans on the east coast, but does anyone have an idea/estimate of when they could expand to flying transcons, or even intra-west coast routes? I was just wondering about this, given that Avelo's CEO noted that they may be looking at a second base, on the east coast, within 6 months or so (source linked below). After all, the east coast was Avelo's first choice for starting up, but cuts in the west prompted them to choose BUR while they had an opening. Any insight is appreciated.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/avelo-air ... alifornia/

amcnd

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:21 am

flightsimer wrote:
amcnd wrote:

No they don’t.

Ya. They do. It’s not my place to say... but they sure do.

TTailedTiger

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:22 am

The E190/195 seems like a good fit for initial operations. Why take on the high debt of new aircraft so soon? Some of the most successful airlines started with a few used airplanes.

b777900

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:23 am

We need new service at PHF Newport News is a huge airport with lots of empty gates... COME ON BREEZE WE NEED YOU......

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:
Don't know how official it is but someone noticed the following airports are following Breeze Airways on Twitter: Syracuse (Upstate NY), Manchester (NH), and Savannah (GA).

Unfortunately it really doesn't mean much considering:

- SAV also follows Aer Lingus, Wizz Air, Copa Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Air China, Air India, Qatar Airways, Swiss, Hawaiian, Malaysia Airlines, and more

- SYR also follows Korean Air, KLM, and more

- MHT also follows Korean Air, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Icelandair, and more.

But these airports are fairly sensible candidates for Breeze service.

Figures, I didn't think it was that official. But I do agree that they are candidates for Breeze!

sxf24

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:29 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
The E190/195 seems like a good fit for initial operations. Why take on the high debt of new aircraft so soon? Some of the most successful airlines started with a few used airplanes.

Ownership costs are very low, but maintenance costs are high. There will need to be a big RASM premium to compete with other ULCCs.

Cboyle

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:00 pm

amcnd wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
amcnd wrote:

No they don’t.

Is one of the bases in the MCO area?

flightsimer

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:25 pm

amcnd wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
amcnd wrote:

No they don’t.

The only crew members that MAY know are the first six. The rest are in the dark just like the general public.

lightsaber

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:13 pm

sxf24 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Ownership costs are very low, but maintenance costs are high. There will need to be a big RASM premium to compete with other ULCCs.

I see Breeze mixing the strategies of Spirit and Allegiant, pursuing a higher end clientele that is attracted by the phone app. (I tell you right now, all the apps for all the airlines I fly need help, they all have weaknesses, so I can only hope Breeze does better.)

Slide 7 shows how Spirit reduces costs by high utilization (over 12 hours vs. 8 hours drives down costs by over 11%):
https://ir.allegiantair.com/static-file ... 63ca7ef082

Now, it is buried in this presentation, but Allegiant matches supply and demand (way down at slide 62), but the reality is slide 59 to 86 go into how Allegiant flies more when revenue is higher while trying to fly enough to keep costs in control. What does this have to do with Breeze and the E190/195? I speculate that Breeze will fly the E190/195 as Allegiant did the MD-80 (back when they had them, just far more reliable):
https://ir.allegiantair.com/static-file ... f510573ad7

By this, and this is just purely my speculation and opinion, I expect, just like Allegiant, the E190/E195 not to fly a lot in September and October. For most of the year, I expect reduced flying on reduced demand days where Breeze works to find out what the seasonal demand is and what the demand profile is during the week (e.g., Allegiant notes poor revenue on Tuesdays and Saturday can be good or bad).

I expect the A220 to be flown intensely a la Spirit, on popular routes (it is the larger aircaft) often with higher frequency. I would expect 12 or more hours of utilization per day (on average).

The E190/E195, with its low fixed costs, will only be flown when demand is higher. For example, I expect TPA and FLL to be served on popular days cruise ships depart (once that industry restarts), fly to and from popular events (college football and basketball crowd), and certain markets identified as 2x to 5x/week service. (e.g., do not fly on the least popular days). I personally have been fascinated by how Alleginat, for example, flies Los Angeles to Grand Junction Colorado (one of my common routes) but only on Monday and Friday (Which happens to work for me...). They'll fly the aircraft to another city Tuesday and Saturday and use the aircraft to surge on Sunday (it is regional when people don't fly). So I expect the E-jets to see about 8 hours per day, averaged over a year, of use. But certain days to be intense and certain days to have the bulk of the fleet parked. Or a mix of the Spirit and Allegiant models. :spin:

They have two aircraft for two missions. Now personally, I prefer how Allegiant has switched to one fleet type. For Breeze, that will take until a heck of a lot more A220 are on the secondary market. So for now, they are using used E190s for the lower utilization duty.

Efficiency is relative. We have high fixed costs (A220 due to new purchase/lease) and low fixed costs (discounted used E-jets) vs. variable costs (low on the A220 as in the maintenance holiday and outstanding fuel burn) vs. the E-jets (more maintenance needed on used aircraft, CFM-34 engines have a high maintenance cost reputation per cycle, and a higher fuel burn than the larger A220).

We have few numbers. JetBlue noted the E190s were 11% of seat miles, but 20% of costs:
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/07/1 ... ht-battle/

JetBlue also said that “next generation aircraft are able to deliver 25-30% lower direct operating cost per seat mile” when compared with the E190, where such costs include ownership and flight operating costs (fuel, labour, airport fees, etc) but not overhead.
Now that lower operating cost per seat is for high utilization (the JetBlue model, this is just my opinion). So the A220 for JetBlue, in high utilization, basically has the same cost per flight as the E190. :wideeyed: But that isn't an apples to apples comparison:
1. JetBlue has pretty high lease costs, per my understanding, on the E190. Breeze should have far lower ownership (fixed) costs
2. JetBlue was flying every day of the week (I hypothesize Breeze will only fly E190s when yield is elevated).
3. JetBlue pays better for E190 pilots, a lot better. $55 for copilots with a monthly guarantee of only 55 hours vs. JetBlue's $89/hour with a guarantee of 70 hours per month. Breeze pilots $117 vs. $192. Ummm... Advantage Breeze to the tune of $109/hour and not having to pay as many minimum hours (more flexibility in reduced frequency operations).
https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/art ... %20company

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/air ... ue_airways

Huge advantage to Breeze on the low utilization as I note above. A savings of $109/hour plus savings in reduced pilot minimums means a huge amount more flexibility than JetBlue could have with the exact same aircraft. This is a temporary artifact of so many regional pilots scrambling for work that breeze is hiring on the E190s/E195s.

This doesn't bode a really long life at Breeze for the E-jets. However, I see the business case of bringing them onboard to start service
1. Pilot recruiting. So many E170/E175 pilots need work that the E190/E195 is an easy and lost cost transition.
2. Career path: The pilots will, in my opinion, like the A220 allowing Breeze to retain pilots
3. The F/A hiring is odd... I personally think it would have been marginal in the prior economy. However, this economy will have people scrambling for work. So everyone part time getting a college degree:
https://www.aerotime.aero/26568-breeze- ... attendants That will provide flexibility as well as control costs.
4. As noted, flying a mixture of high utilization (A220, very low variable costs) and low utilization (E190/E195 with low fixed costs) and pursuing high revenue (only fly when passengers pay a premium).

Breeze is unintentionally lucky. They will start flying when vaccines are rather available (so their staff may be protected) which should restart demand.

I'm very excited for Breeze. Alas, I understand, except for maybe SLC, they will be very East of the Mississippi for a few years. Cest la vie (I'm in California). I see a huge untapped market for 2x to 5x per week (so much I speculate the big US airlines will drop a third or so of regional flying and go to the 2x to 5x per week model).

Lightsaber

MIflyer12

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:21 pm

lightsaber wrote:
By this, and this is just purely my speculation and opinion, I expect, just like Allegiant, the E190/E195 not to fly a lot in September and October. For most of the year, I expect reduced flying on reduced demand days where Breeze works to find out what the seasonal demand is and what the demand profile is during the week (e.g., Allegiant notes poor revenue on Tuesdays and Saturday can be good or bad).

Day of week reductions are fine. Remember when Alaska had its epiphany about a decade ago? 'Hey, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays are slow. We're going to fly less on those days!' That actually came out in an investor update, like they had discovered fire.

The problem with slow months is that pilots still expect to get paid. Airlines have a lot of other fixed costs, too. DL could get away with low seasonal utilization of MD-88s because they were only 1/9th of the mainline fleet by seats in 2017.

Cboyle

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:47 am

Breeze updated their page...

travaz

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:42 am

Cboyle wrote:

What did they update. I can't tell.

Ishrion

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:43 am

travaz wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

The entire homepage has changed. It now displays an A220 rendering instead of the E190/195. Some text has changed and the layout has changed entirely.

Wneast

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 am

Ishrion wrote:
travaz wrote:
Cboyle wrote:

The entire homepage has changed. It now displays an A220 rendering instead of the E190/195. Some text has changed and the layout has changed entirely.

I’m guessing it’s gearing up for a possible launch maybe as soon as tomorrow

Jshank83

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:06 am

flightsimer wrote:
amcnd wrote:
flightsimer wrote:
No they don’t.

The only crew members that MAY know are the first six. The rest are in the dark just like the general public.

Didn’t they already basically about 3 of them. Pie/chs/ and somewhere else. I thought an article came out with that.

Edit:

The training will be done in Utah, Neeleman said, and then students will be stationed in Charleston, South Carolina, and possibly other cities like Panama City and Tampa, Florida.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50124806/pa ... nt-program

lightsaber

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 am

I missed this link on Breeze opperation:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... NewsSearch

Pilots assigned to the Embraer fleet will return to their base every night instead of spending nights on the road. It's a concept that saves Breeze on hotel expenses but also allows pilots to spend more time at home.

But those seeking the typical pilot lifestyle of multi-day trips out on the road will find it on the Airbus fleet. More traditional flying consisting of two to three-day trips will be common on the A220, and pilots preferring that lifestyle should hold off on applying.

The two different models make sense for aircraft utilization. The higher utilization aircraft are less likely to make it home.

Once a pilot is assigned to one aircraft, though, they're locked in for at least three years before a switch can be made.

That is a long lock...

The article notes, 4,400 pilots applied for 85 positions, they will have no trouble filling slots.

Lightsaber

flightsimer

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 am

lightsaber wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I see Breeze mixing the strategies of Spirit and Allegiant, pursuing a higher end clientele that is attracted by the phone app. (I tell you right now, all the apps for all the airlines I fly need help, they all have weaknesses, so I can only hope Breeze does better.)

Slide 7 shows how Spirit reduces costs by high utilization (over 12 hours vs. 8 hours drives down costs by over 11%):

Now, it is buried in this presentation, but Allegiant matches supply and demand (way down at slide 62), but the reality is slide 59 to 86 go into how Allegiant flies more when revenue is higher while trying to fly enough to keep costs in control. What does this have to do with Breeze and the E190/195? I speculate that Breeze will fly the E190/195 as Allegiant did the MD-80 (back when they had them, just far more reliable):

I expect the A220 to be flown intensely a la Spirit, on popular routes (it is the larger aircaft) often with higher frequency. I would expect 12 or more hours of utilization per day (on average).

The E190/E195, with its low fixed costs, will only be flown when demand is higher. For example, I expect TPA and FLL to be served on popular days cruise ships depart (once that industry restarts), fly to and from popular events (college football and basketball crowd), and certain markets identified as 2x to 5x/week service. (e.g., do not fly on the least popular days). I personally have been fascinated by how Alleginat, for example, flies Los Angeles to Grand Junction Colorado (one of my common routes) but only on Monday and Friday (Which happens to work for me...). They'll fly the aircraft to another city Tuesday and Saturday and use the aircraft to surge on Sunday (it is regional when people don't fly). So I expect the E-jets to see about 8 hours per day, averaged over a year, of use. But certain days to be intense and certain days to have the bulk of the fleet parked. Or a mix of the Spirit and Allegiant models. :spin:

They have two aircraft for two missions. Now personally, I prefer how Allegiant has switched to one fleet type. For Breeze, that will take until a heck of a lot more A220 are on the secondary market. So for now, they are using used E190s for the lower utilization duty.

Efficiency is relative. We have high fixed costs (A220 due to new purchase/lease) and low fixed costs (discounted used E-jets) vs. variable costs (low on the A220 as in the maintenance holiday and outstanding fuel burn) vs. the E-jets (more maintenance needed on used aircraft, CFM-34 engines have a high maintenance cost reputation per cycle, and a higher fuel burn than the larger A220).

We have few numbers. JetBlue noted the E190s were 11% of seat miles, but 20% of costs:

JetBlue also said that “next generation aircraft are able to deliver 25-30% lower direct operating cost per seat mile” when compared with the E190, where such costs include ownership and flight operating costs (fuel, labour, airport fees, etc) but not overhead.
Now that lower operating cost per seat is for high utilization (the JetBlue model, this is just my opinion). So the A220 for JetBlue, in high utilization, basically has the same cost per flight as the E190. :wideeyed: But that isn't an apples to apples comparison:
1. JetBlue has pretty high lease costs, per my understanding, on the E190. Breeze should have far lower ownership (fixed) costs
2. JetBlue was flying every day of the week (I hypothesize Breeze will only fly E190s when yield is elevated).
3. JetBlue pays better for E190 pilots, a lot better. $55 for copilots with a monthly guarantee of only 55 hours vs. JetBlue's $89/hour with a guarantee of 70 hours per month. Breeze pilots $117 vs. $192. Ummm... Advantage Breeze to the tune of $109/hour and not having to pay as many minimum hours (more flexibility in reduced frequency operations).

Huge advantage to Breeze on the low utilization as I note above. A savings of $109/hour plus savings in reduced pilot minimums means a huge amount more flexibility than JetBlue could have with the exact same aircraft. This is a temporary artifact of so many regional pilots scrambling for work that breeze is hiring on the E190s/E195s.

This doesn't bode a really long life at Breeze for the E-jets. However, I see the business case of bringing them onboard to start service
1. Pilot recruiting. So many E170/E175 pilots need work that the E190/E195 is an easy and lost cost transition.
2. Career path: The pilots will, in my opinion, like the A220 allowing Breeze to retain pilots
3. The F/A hiring is odd... I personally think it would have been marginal in the prior economy. However, this economy will have people scrambling for work. So everyone part time getting a college degree:
https://www.aerotime.aero/26568-breeze- ... attendants That will provide flexibility as well as control costs.
4. As noted, flying a mixture of high utilization (A220, very low variable costs) and low utilization (E190/E195 with low fixed costs) and pursuing high revenue (only fly when passengers pay a premium).

Breeze is unintentionally lucky. They will start flying when vaccines are rather available (so their staff may be protected) which should restart demand.

I'm very excited for Breeze. Alas, I understand, except for maybe SLC, they will be very East of the Mississippi for a few years. Cest la vie (I'm in California). I see a huge untapped market for 2x to 5x per week (so much I speculate the big US airlines will drop a third or so of regional flying and go to the 2x to 5x per week model).

Lightsaber

Your analysis is spot on for the most part. While the A220 will be the main workhorse of the fleet, the Ejet family will still have an integral role within the company and I expect it to be around a lot longer than anyone here would have imagined, myself included.

I don’t think you will be waiting to long for west coast service, which I myself am looking forward to serving.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 am

flightsimer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Lightsaber

Your analysis is spot on for the most part. While the A220 will be the main workhorse of the fleet, the Ejet family will still have an integral role within the company and I expect it to be around a lot longer than anyone here would have imagined, myself included.

I don’t think you will be waiting to long for west coast service, which I myself am looking forward to serving.

JAX would be a prime candidate for west coast flights. I think Delta tried LAX or SLC around 15 years ago and hasn't had any service since.

sfojvjets

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:09 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

JAX would be a prime candidate for west coast flights. I think Delta tried LAX or SLC around 15 years ago and hasn't had any service since.

B6 now flies JAX-LAX... I guess the next best thing for Breeze would be JAX-SFO metro?? Assuming B6 doesn't hop on that either...

I really think B6 and their A220 fleet could be a big threat to Breeze's plans, especially in the transcon market. We've already seen B6 move into transcon service from mid-sized cities that could have been perfect for Breeze such as BDL/BUF/JAX/PBI/CHS/etc...

lightsaber

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

B6 now flies JAX-LAX... I guess the next best thing for Breeze would be JAX-SFO metro?? Assuming B6 doesn't hop on that either...

I really think B6 and their A220 fleet could be a big threat to Breeze's plans, especially in the transcon market. We've already seen B6 move into transcon service from mid-sized cities that could have been perfect for Breeze such as BDL/BUF/JAX/PBI/CHS/etc...

JetBlue is why I think Breeze will avoid transcons for a bit. They will need a fair number of A220 before sending some out on longer missions.

I also see hints of an ancillary sales model with Breeze. Ancillary sales rely on the quantity if passengers more than anything else. So quick turns are important to increase the number of passengers who might buy ancillary sales.

I'm going to be highly curious all the partners for ancillary sales for Breeze.

Lightsaber

alohashirts

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:53 pm

lightsaber wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

JetBlue is why I think Breeze will avoid transcons for a bit. They will need a fair number of A220 before sending some out on longer missions.

I also see hints of an ancillary sales model with Breeze. Ancillary sales rely on the quantity if passengers more than anything else. So quick turns are important to increase the number of passengers who might buy ancillary sales.

Lightsaber

I could see Breeze try some transcon flights early on such as CHS-SLC, TPA-OAK, SAV-LAX, etc.

lightsaber

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 pm

alohashirts wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

Lightsaber

I could see Breeze try some transcon flights early on such as CHS-SLC, TPA-OAK, SAV-LAX, etc.

Do not get me wrong, for my personal needs, the TCON would be great. I look at this strategically. My opinion is RASM improves if a customer has a large choice of their preferred destinations from their home airport.

Let us assume TPA is one of the early cities. Breeze has an option to serve OAK or two closer in cities. Since they will have relatively few flight to OAK, their revenue would be better connecting the dots first East of the Mississippi.

Now SLC, as a prime office, will probably be the exception. I just do not see Breeze having enough aircraft in the first 3 to 4 years to dilute the offerings that much by going TCON. Eventually, they must. Later on it will boost customer loyalty and thus RASM (again, just my opinion).

I also think the A220s need to be available to upgrade E-jet routes. I see route seeding with E-jets and perhaps two thirds "maturing" into A223 markets with the E-jets moving on to try new city pairs.

I look forward to initial sales soon.

Lightsaber

flightsimer

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:10 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

The issue with that is that B6 is buying the 220 to replace 190’s, which predominately fly “regional” type routes. So while yes the 220 could be used that way, I doubt their 220’s will be too much of a factor until they have the 190’s squared away.

JoseSalazar

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 pm

flightsimer wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

The issue with that is that B6 is buying the 220 to replace 190’s, which predominately fly “regional” type routes. So while yes the 220 could be used that way, I doubt their 220’s will be too much of a factor until they have the 190’s squared away.

I don’t think we will see any/many B6 190s actually get replaced until there are a decent number of 220s in the fleet. Similarly, I think 190s will be/stay the mainstay on the “regional” routes (up to 2ish hour flights/800nm or so) until at least 2023-2024, probably longer, even as 220s are added to the fleet, and the 220s will be doing mostly 2.5-6 hour routes. They will (imo) take over the longer 190 routes (northeast to FL/IAH/AUS type stuff) and add in some thinner transcons. I also think they will have an LAX 220 base probably in 2023-2024, and the 220 will operate some short routes out of there as well as some long/thin routes. Bottom line, I don’t see the 220 as replacing much of the B6 190 flying for the next several years, and likely not the short regional stuff much stuff all. And when it does, there will be more total 220s than 190s (17% more airframes plus whatever other options are exercised, and which will have higher utilization).

So, in short, I don’t see the 220 being relegated to short regional flying at B6 anytime soon, nor do I see its advertised “190 replacement” title as limiting its usage to current 190 routes for the near term. Scott Laurence will use as much of the 220’s capabilities as he can. As it relates to potentially competing with Breeze...who knows. I think the Breeze network is a giant question mark for people right now.

iAvgeek737

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:43 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqbbTZBkEK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Not big news but according to Breeze Airways Instagram, they plan to offer no change or cancellation fees and you can receive 24 months of re-useable credit. I think this is pretty interesting. No other ULCC does this right?

Jshank83

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 am

iAvgeek737 wrote:

Not big news but according to Breeze Airways Instagram, they plan to offer no change or cancellation fees and you can receive 24 months of re-useable credit. I think this is pretty interesting. No other ULCC does this right?

Do we know Breeze is ULCC?

stl07

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:31 am

iAvgeek737 wrote:

They sure as hell followed a lot of accounts from PIT

iAvgeek737

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:29 am

Jshank83 wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

Now that I think about it they aren't really a true ULCC. They have a similar model but don't really fall directly in line with Spirit or Southwest or even Allegiant.

gdavis003

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 am

iAvgeek737 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

Now that I think about it they aren't really a true ULCC. They have a similar model but don't really fall directly in line with Spirit or Southwest or even Allegiant.

Southwest is not a ULCC. The only true ULCCs in the US are Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier, and Sun Country. Breeze is not positioned to be a ULCC at all based on the planned business model that they have released.

FLYBY72

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

Wow, lots of press and promises but no routes.... Any chance they will actually announce they are selling tickets?

FLYBY72

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Wneast wrote:
I’m guessing it’s gearing up for a possible launch maybe as soon as tomorrow

Maybe tomorrow's tomorrow, tomorrow... or the next day after that.

dabpit

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:14 pm

stl07 wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

I wouldn’t read to much into it as they are not following any airports. They are following a number of airlines, bloggers, journalists, and publications. It is worth noting that they currently only follow four cities Pittsburgh, Nashville, New Orleans, and Charleston. They also follow Visit California, Visit North Carolina, and Visit Florida.

It is looking like CHS is a possible base. Will be interesting to see what the other one is and if PIT, BNA, and MSY will a part of the initial service.

Jshank83

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 pm

dabpit wrote:
stl07 wrote:
iAvgeek737 wrote:

I wouldn’t read to much into it as they are not following any airports. They are following a number of airlines, bloggers, journalists, and publications. It is worth noting that they currently only follow four cities Pittsburgh, Nashville, New Orleans, and Charleston. They also follow Visit California, Visit North Carolina, and Visit Florida.

It is looking like CHS is a possible base. Will be interesting to see what the other one is and if PIT, BNA, and MSY will a part of the initial service.

Not sure how they could go to BNA. According to the BNA thread WN is getting any and all gate space available and won't allow competitors to have any...… ;)

msycajun

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:59 pm

CHS-MSY always struck me as a route crying out for an Allegiant-type service. Unlike a lot of leisure routes, there would be traffic in both directions. I know a lot of people who have driven it, despite the distance. With fares routinely 2-3x those of nonstops to Florida, there's a lot of room for stimulation, especially if Breeze can do more than 2 weekly. PIT-MSY is another one that could use more service. G4 serves it for very short seasons 2 weekly - simply not frequent enough to attract more than the cheapest fares.

Boiler905

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 pm

msycajun wrote:
CHS-MSY always struck me as a route crying out for an Allegiant-type service. Unlike a lot of leisure routes, there would be traffic in both directions. I know a lot of people who have driven it, despite the distance. With fares routinely 2-3x those of nonstops to Florida, there's a lot of room for stimulation, especially if Breeze can do more than 2 weekly. PIT-MSY is another one that could use more service. G4 serves it for very short seasons 2 weekly - simply not frequent enough to attract more than the cheapest fares.

Didn't WN serve PIT-MSY in the past? I can't remember the details on how frequent, if they did

Flaps

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 pm

A handling company that does not currently serve PIT has been interviewing for positions, "supposedly" related to Breeze. I'm struggling to remember the company name but I think it might be GAT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos