Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Spaceship
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 31, 2021 11:47 am

This estimated saving of HK$2 billion is attributable to weight savings from removing “Pacific” from the aircraft sides, paint cost savings, and ink use reduction on other printed materials.
meanwhile, a bonus of HK$4billion will be paid to Directors and Board Members in recognition of the cost cuts achieved in these difficult times.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 31, 2021 1:05 pm

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point frankly.

AA sometimes uses a variant of their current logo without the "Airlines" next to it. Likewise, UA has two different logo variants; the more prominent one that's used without "Airlines" and then they have another variant that has "Airlines" written out.

They could just be introducing a new logo subtype that doesn't have the "Pacific".
 
AABB777
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 31, 2021 3:49 pm

USAirALB wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into it at this point frankly.

AA sometimes uses a variant of their current logo without the "Airlines" next to it. Likewise, UA has two different logo variants; the more prominent one that's used without "Airlines" and then they have another variant that has "Airlines" written out.

They could just be introducing a new logo subtype that doesn't have the "Pacific".


Add EK to the list. Most of the time it’s just “Emirates”. But sometimes, like at the US Open for example, the logo says “Emirates Airline”.
 
User avatar
CCA
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:29 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 31, 2021 6:09 pm

Searched Cathay trademark and you’ll see Cathay has trademarked the word itself. Scroll down

https://uspto.report/company/Cathay-Pac ... ways-L-T-D
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25489
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon May 31, 2021 8:24 pm

Received following email today.

Image
 
vikalpaul8
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:16 am

AA sometimes uses a variant of their current logo without the "Airlines" next to it. Likewise, UA has two different logo variants; the more prominent one that's used without "Airlines" and then they have another variant that has "Airlines" written out.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 12102
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:48 am

Many airlines have logo variants with and without “airline” for use in markets where the brand is not as familiar and people may not know it is an airline.

This is a little different, because adding “Pacific” to Cathay doesn’t automatically make people know it is an airline unless they are already familiar with the brand. It suggests the long term intention is to make people think of the brand as Cathay not Cathay Pacific, opening up a name change dropping the “Pacific” sometime in the future (might not be near future). This also aligns with renaming Dragonair Cathay Dragon (before killing the airline in the pandemic) which placed more emphasis on the Cathay name and logo.
 
Captaincurious
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:32 pm

Will Cathay add more freighters or convert some 77ws to frieghters (Although the conversion slots are difficult to get)
 
RoyalBrunei757
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Captaincurious wrote:
Will Cathay add more freighters or convert some 77ws to frieghters (Although the conversion slots are difficult to get)

Before they can do so, the first converted B77W BDSF needs to fly first and get certified, thus far there isn't one completely converted and certified. As for adding more freighters, I don't think so they will as they have retired B744F/SCD freighters back in 2015 and did not pick up additional B748F before the program shuts down.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25489
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Cathay Pacific has confirmed it will shut its Australian pilot base

https://australianaviation.com.au/2021/ ... lian-base/
 
AA100
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:57 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:19 am

As part of the Vaccination Lucky Draw scheme being offered by various private companies and the HK government, CX will be offering millions of Asia Miles as well as a grand prize of a private party in their new A321 Neo. Cool idea, though wasn't sure if this would be a flight up around HK or more like a hangar party...

On the topic of vaccinations - HK has eased some requirements now for vaccinated travelers - heck UK has gone from being completely banned to just 2 week quarantine if vaccinated. From an operational standpoint I think this is making things easier for CX to schedule flights - there is a bigger June schedule then in prior months.

Unfortunately hotel capacity is another issue though, as lots of students are returning and there aren't enough quarantine rooms.

It would be great if the HK GOV would offer quarantine free travel to select "safe" destinations for vaccinated residents... that would be preferable to the prizes!
 
DanielsBrawley
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 am

Spaceship wrote:
This estimated saving of HK$2 billion is attributable to weight savings from removing “Pacific” from the aircraft sides, paint cost savings, and ink use reduction on other printed materials.
meanwhile, a bonus of HK$4billion will be paid to Directors and Board Members in recognition of the cost cuts achieved in these difficult times.


That's brilliant mate! Unfortunately it's believable considering the track record of management. Well done!
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:36 pm

DanielsBrawley wrote:
Spaceship wrote:
This estimated saving of HK$2 billion is attributable to weight savings from removing “Pacific” from the aircraft sides, paint cost savings, and ink use reduction on other printed materials.
meanwhile, a bonus of HK$4billion will be paid to Directors and Board Members in recognition of the cost cuts achieved in these difficult times.


That's brilliant mate! Unfortunately it's believable considering the track record of management. Well done!


So typical! Achieve cost cuts, usually out of the hides of the employees, and then turn around and give it to the Fat Cats at the top! So in the end, they saved...how much? All they do, in effect, is change the payee. Great morale booster for the troops.
 
Captaincurious
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:15 am

Cathay only carried 774 passengers in May https://simpleflying.com/cathay-pacific ... r-figures/
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:40 pm

Captaincurious wrote:
Cathay only carried 774 passengers in May https://simpleflying.com/cathay-pacific ... r-figures/


Holy Traffic Disaster, Batman!

My God.
 
Captaincurious
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Cathay trialing the Amazon concept to sell everything under the Cathay brand. https://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hon ... -customers

Cathay also plans to increase its flight schedule from October
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 888
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:48 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Captaincurious wrote:
Cathay only carried 774 passengers in May https://simpleflying.com/cathay-pacific ... r-figures/


You neglect to specify that the article states that it was 774 passengers PER DAY. I know, still a disastrously low number.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5217
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Cathay Pacific launches “Cathay” premium lifestyle brand.
A new overarching ‘Cathay’ brand has been launched which the group says will bring together Cathay Pacific and its Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles schemes.
Simply known as ‘Cathay’, the new offering is being touted as “a premium travel lifestyle brand”, with offers set to be rolled out on spending, dining, shopping, hotels and wellness.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... yle-brand/
 
User avatar
CCA
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:29 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:52 am

Seems the news with regards to the 777-9 negotiations have gone quiet. Last news was Mar/Apr. They might be lucky with the delays to the 777X and may just ride it out.

From the March financial report:

We reached agreement with Airbus to defer delivery of our A350-900 and A350-1000 aircraft from 2020-21 to 2020-23, and to defer delivery of A321neo aircraft from 2020-23 to 2020-25. Advanced negotiations are taking place with Boeing for the deferral of the delivery of our 777-9 aircraft. 10 aircraft were delivered in 2020 (including our first A321neo, in November). These aircraft will modernise our fleets and improve efficiency.
 
User avatar
eurotrader85
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:02 pm

According to Simple Flying, CX is potentially looking to close their London pilot base with the potential loss of up to 100 jobs.

This would be truly shocking to me. Sure I understand CX is under A LOT of pressure and has been closing foreign bases across the globe, but we are talking about probably their most lucrative route in HKG-LON, which was 5 a day on the LHR stretch, with an additional LGW flight 5 times a week. Given how lucrative this route was, between two major OW hubs, and the historical connections between the two cities, one would like to assume this will again become a very lucrative route once we get back to 'normal'. Of all the overseas pilot bases, I would see London to be the major one to keep from a CX perspective.

I realise we need to forget about guessing when things will get back to normal from an aviation perspective, and HK govt is hanging on Beijing for any meaningful opening up of borders (and who knows when that will be), but one would like to presume the worst is behind us. Isn't losing all that high talent in terms of pilots a bit of a short-sighted move at the moment?

https://simpleflying.com/cathay-london-base-closure/
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1997
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
According to Simple Flying, CX is potentially looking to close their London pilot base with the potential loss of up to 100 jobs.

This would be truly shocking to me. Sure I understand CX is under A LOT of pressure and has been closing foreign bases across the globe, but we are talking about probably their most lucrative route in HKG-LON, which was 5 a day on the LHR stretch, with an additional LGW flight 5 times a week. Given how lucrative this route was, between two major OW hubs, and the historical connections between the two cities, one would like to assume this will again become a very lucrative route once we get back to 'normal'. Of all the overseas pilot bases, I would see London to be the major one to keep from a CX perspective.

I realise we need to forget about guessing when things will get back to normal from an aviation perspective, and HK govt is hanging on Beijing for any meaningful opening up of borders (and who knows when that will be), but one would like to presume the worst is behind us. Isn't losing all that high talent in terms of pilots a bit of a short-sighted move at the moment?

https://simpleflying.com/cathay-london-base-closure/


It does seem to be heading to an ending of sorts. Closing SYD was pretty dramatic already, being a three to four flights a day port (currently 1xA35K) , but LON is just wow.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 pm

Isn't the main problem with the Cathay pilot base at LHR that they're all B777 crew whereas the single daily HKG-LHR flight is on the A350? I suspect with 5 slots to hold onto they'll be keeping the A35K/A359 on the route?
 
Prost
Posts: 2657
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 12102
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 pm

Prost wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?

Save costs not having to hotel crews in expensive cities.
 
BHRN
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:32 am

From a PR point of view, making redundancies at a foreign location would create less noise than making yet another cut at its home city. Not to mention it has received public money from HK govt in the hope to preserve jobs locally.
 
User avatar
eurotrader85
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:06 am

skipness1E wrote:
Isn't the main problem with the Cathay pilot base at LHR that they're all B777 crew whereas the single daily HKG-LHR flight is on the A350? I suspect with 5 slots to hold onto they'll be keeping the A35K/A359 on the route?


In normal times, believe only the LGW route was on a 359? On the LHR route, it is probably safe to say the 777 will be making a return with its larger B and F class on board. Sure maybe the odd schedule will be interchanged with a 35K but where would CX prefer to deploy its 777 fleet instead across its network? Unless things are soo bad now we are soon going to see a cutback in its overall 777 fleet? Of course, I am assuming here that we will get back to normal at some point and 5 a day LHR + 1 LGW will be back.
 
DUSZRH
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:50 am

Polot wrote:
Prost wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?

Save costs not having to hotel crews in expensive cities.


But on longhaul it is pretty irrelevant if they go to hotel in HK instead of LON. In times of 5th freedom it makes sense though. Probably a leftover (if you fly LON-SIN-SYD, it saves crew costs having either a SIN or SYD base next to LON; if you only fly HKG-LON the LON crew will stay in a hotel in HKG, while the HKG crew stays in a hotel in LON)
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 12102
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am

DUSZRH wrote:
Polot wrote:
Prost wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?

Save costs not having to hotel crews in expensive cities.


But on longhaul it is pretty irrelevant if they go to hotel in HK instead of LON. In times of 5th freedom it makes sense though. Probably a leftover (if you fly LON-SIN-SYD, it saves crew costs having either a SIN or SYD base next to LON; if you only fly HKG-LON the LON crew will stay in a hotel in HKG, while the HKG crew stays in a hotel in LON)

In HKG they might be able to get some local home team discounts (hell they can own their own hotel for all I know) and can get greater volume discounts. Instead of having a bunch of crews split hoteling in LON, SYD etc you have them all holed in one place (in HKG).
 
User avatar
SN476
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:39 am

Prost wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?


I can imagine that they had also a crew on standby in LON in case a crewmember got sick during a layover in Europe. For example, if a pilot had to call in sick for his flight FRA HKG, it was quicker to get a pilot from LON to FRA in order to perform the flight FRA HKG
 
User avatar
eurotrader85
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 am

DUSZRH wrote:
Polot wrote:
Prost wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?

Save costs not having to hotel crews in expensive cities.


But on longhaul it is pretty irrelevant if they go to hotel in HK instead of LON. In times of 5th freedom it makes sense though. Probably a leftover (if you fly LON-SIN-SYD, it saves crew costs having either a SIN or SYD base next to LON; if you only fly HKG-LON the LON crew will stay in a hotel in HKG, while the HKG crew stays in a hotel in LON)


When you do as many flights to a destination as CX are in this case (in normal times), having a foreign base streamlines operations to a greater deal if crew get sick, problems on the ground etc etc. It makes operational sense. Further people underestimate the cost of hiring in expat crew in HK. CX used to have to pay big packages to hire in pilots from other airlines. That's nothing against any CX pilots, good for them, and there is good reason in HK why the packages need to be high.
 
DanielsBrawley
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:56 am

Not sure why anyone with knowledge of CX happenings would be surprised by this. Hong Kong has been "cutting the cord" with England for some time. Even before COVId it was moving in that direction due to the external noise associated with the mainland. I'm a little dumbfounded how a discussion board like this isn't more tuned in to what's going on in Hong Kong and in particular CX. I just left the city after 18 years and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I once considered CX and the City as the epicenter of my world but I'll never go back. Great memories from the early years but horrible experiences from the final years. CX is an airline in despair. The entire company, especially flight crews, are filled with cynicism and doom.
 
Captaincurious
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:28 am

DanielsBrawley wrote:
Not sure why anyone with knowledge of CX happenings would be surprised by this. Hong Kong has been "cutting the cord" with England for some time. Even before COVId it was moving in that direction due to the external noise associated with the mainland. I'm a little dumbfounded how a discussion board like this isn't more tuned in to what's going on in Hong Kong and in particular CX. I just left the city after 18 years and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I once considered CX and the City as the epicenter of my world but I'll never go back. Great memories from the early years but horrible experiences from the final years. CX is an airline in despair. The entire company, especially flight crews, are filled with cynicism and doom.


Know lots of friends escaping from.the City and some has a wait and see attitude (Like leave after securing job opportunities elsewhere), so CX won't look very good. I guess those people may come back to visit their families though, so it could bring traffic.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 16329
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:16 am

Prost wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what was the advantage to CX to have foreign bases when their flying is over and back to HKG?


The crew bases for both cabin crew and pilots were setup a long time ago, and at the beginning they were essentially a HKG contract without the expat benefits. These crew were essentially cheaper to employ than HKG due to the high cost to attract people to pack up their lives and move half way around the world. Everything in HKG is very expensive, for example some schools require parents to pay a HKG$4 million non refundable debenture just to enrol a child. Daily staples like groceries are very expensive as everything is just about imported.

From an operational point of view having based crew gave the company a lot more flexibility if there was unforeseen sickness, mechanical disruption, or weather. It also gave advantages for fatigue mitigation as based crew body clocks where often different to HKG crew, so a flight that was in the window of circadian low (WOCL) HKG crew were “daytime” for local crew in Asia. For example a midnight departure from HKG to LHR would be an “afternoon” departure for LON based crew, and a lunchtime arrival for HKG based crew.

Move along a few decades and governments around the world changed their labour laws, and instead of these crew essentially being employed in HKG they were required to be employed locally under local employment laws. It became a nightmare to manage the tax, employee benefits, retirement schemes, national insurance etc under all the different jurisdictions. CX had pilots based in USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Netherlands, Germany, France, and the UK.

During COVID this was complicated further as the HKG government treated foreign based crew different to locally based crew, regardless of who they work for. As a result most of the based crew had been stood down, many on no pay during this period. It has been a very stressful time for these families as they had no idea what the future would entail.

12 months ago I think many experts had anticipated COVID would have started to recover by last December, looking forward to this December I doubt international passenger travel will even recover to 30% of its pre-COVID levels. Governments around the world seem more concerned over the political implications of their decisions rather than the actual health issues. For example the annual death rate in Hong Kong is around 7%, around 8 million people, so an average of around 1500 people per day. The total number of COVID deaths in Hong Kong stands at 212, an average of around 0.5 deaths per day. More people die from the common flu.

There comes a point where these bases had to be closed and those employees given the opportunity to return to HKG, I am very sad to see so many of my friends deciding not to return to HKG. I can fully understand their decisions, for example someone with a young family would probably not find it very attractive to move the family home at such short notice, and the possibility of commuting is impossible with various government quarantine requirements.

They closed the bases in Manchester, Amsterdam and Paris some years ago, and in the last few months Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and UK due COVID.

Polot wrote:
In HKG they might be able to get some local home team discounts (hell they can own their own hotel for all I know) and can get greater volume discounts.


CX does have its own hotel that is part of the head office complex at HKIA, the hotel is called the Headland Hotel, it is not available to the public.

https://www.headland.com.hk/
 
Western727
Posts: 2011
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:44 pm

Forgive me for broaching a potentially sensitive topic, but after meeting a close friend last night for dinner, I'm left wondering what will become of CX. My friend was born in HKG (he was raised in SFO after moving there at age 5) and is unhappy with current events in HKG. His family owns a posh restaurant in HKG's Times Square that's been there for decades; I've been there, even. And they're getting ready to sell it, because the family wants to cut their losses, lest they risk the restaurant's value tanking in the coming years. They anticipate selling it for less than if they had sold it a few years ago.

This has me a bit worried about CX and its identity. I say this having flown them to HKG (and beyond) and enjoying each experience. Thoughts?

EDIT: clarification
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 16329
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Western727 wrote:
His family owns a posh restaurant in HKG's Times Square that's been there for decades; I've been there, even. And they're getting ready to sell it, because the family wants to cut their losses, lest they risk the restaurant's value tanking in the coming years. They anticipate selling it for less than if they had sold it a few years ago.

This has me a bit worried about CX and its identity. I say this having flown them to HKG (and beyond) and enjoying each experience. Thoughts?


Hospitality and tourism are the hardest sectors hit by COVID in HKG, there is the double impact of restricting inbound travel to HKG residents and restrictions on dining out. The government at different stages had restrictions from only take away orders, no dine in after 6 pm, limitations on the number of people in an area, to limitations on the number of people per table. Many, many, many restaurants have closed their doors.

I don't however see the property value in TImes Square to have changed much.
 
Western727
Posts: 2011
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:31 pm

zeke wrote:
Western727 wrote:
His family owns a posh restaurant in HKG's Times Square that's been there for decades; I've been there, even. And they're getting ready to sell it, because the family wants to cut their losses, lest they risk the restaurant's value tanking in the coming years. They anticipate selling it for less than if they had sold it a few years ago.

This has me a bit worried about CX and its identity. I say this having flown them to HKG (and beyond) and enjoying each experience. Thoughts?


Hospitality and tourism are the hardest sectors hit by COVID in HKG, there is the double impact of restricting inbound travel to HKG residents and restrictions on dining out. The government at different stages had restrictions from only take away orders, no dine in after 6 pm, limitations on the number of people in an area, to limitations on the number of people per table. Many, many, many restaurants have closed their doors.

I don't however see the property value in TImes Square to have changed much.


Indeed on COVID, Zeke. I realize I failed to make my inquiry clear: I was referring to HKG-specific changes over the last few years other than COVID.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 16329
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Western727 wrote:
Indeed on COVID, Zeke. I realize I failed to make my inquiry clear: I was referring to HKG-specific changes over the last few years other than COVID.


That also would not be impacting property prices in Times Square, land does not grown on trees in Times Square, whatever is there is finite.

I'm guessing your friends parents went to the US around 1997, we saw a large outflow of people then which actually was good for the airline in the long term as it increased traffic of people returning to HKG to visit extended family, and also many young people returned to work as they had sought after western education and the right to live and work in HKG.

Also a lot of trade out of HKG had links to people who left HKG and setup businesses elsewhere, they had the advantage in their new local markets as then knew were to source items.
 
Western727
Posts: 2011
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 pm

zeke wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Indeed on COVID, Zeke. I realize I failed to make my inquiry clear: I was referring to HKG-specific changes over the last few years other than COVID.


That also would not be impacting property prices in Times Square, land does not grown on trees in Times Square, whatever is there is finite.

I'm guessing your friends parents went to the US around 1997, we saw a large outflow of people then which actually was good for the airline in the long term as it increased traffic of people returning to HKG to visit extended family, and also many young people returned to work as they had sought after western education and the right to live and work in HKG.

Also a lot of trade out of HKG had links to people who left HKG and setup businesses elsewhere, they had the advantage in their new local markets as then knew were to source items.


1997 is a logical guess, but alas it happened back in 1980 because my friend, like me, is deaf. It's common knowledge in deaf education that the US is the world leader producing the most self-sufficient deaf people, hence my friend's nuclear family's move to SFO well before the handover in 1997. Because the rest of his family is hearing, my friend's much-older brother, among other relatives, remained in HKG to run the family's restaurants, and my friend (and his parents) has flown SFO-HKG on CX dozens of times over the decades to visit family there and to check on the restaurants they've owned and operated in HKG. My friend's parents opened a restaurant of the same name in downtown SF and operated it until they retired in roughly 2005 and sold it.

Anyway, the family has general sentiments of concern watching the HKG economy evolve in a way they believe is detrimental to the future value of their remaining restaurant in Times Square; they sold the Kowloon restaurant of the same name about 15 years ago, IIRC, as well as another posh restaurant of a different name and culinary type on HKG island shortly thereafter, mainly because some of the family had reached retirement age then. My friend's brother is in his early 60s and hadn't planned on retiring for another 10 or so years...but has decided to retire early due to what the family sees as a degrading political climate there and the perceived negative impact on the remaining restaurant's value.
 
VRHNM
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am

The outlook doesn't look particularly bright at the moment given the HK government's staunch stance on trying to keep COVID completely contained (0 cases) - definitely wont help the aviation sector compared to the more 'managing risk' approach taken by SG recently...
 
MSMinHKG
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:21 am

I'm a longtime HK resident who moved to the UK last year just before the current exodus started. I've flown CX more times than I can recall, and my husband has hovered between the upper tiers of Marco Polo membership over the years. We were there through the protests in 2014 and 2019. Although I think that from a rational perspective, people could see that CX was in a politically impossible position, the company lost favor by sacking employees who communicated views that could even marginally be seen as supporting the protests. I'm thinking specifically of the pilot who said "Hang gong yan ga yau" on a descent -- this translates as "Hong Kong people, add oil" -- and the flight crew who were found to have participated in them. (Without going too far off topic and into politics, characterizations of the protests as riots are not of interest and I will not engage.) Anecdotally at least, people we knew started choosing other carriers after that unless they had to fly CX for business reasons, as my husband did. I chose BA for the flights to LHR for the job interview that brought me here and my one-way departure last year. If I return for any reason (I'm not sure this will be possible in light of present circumstances), it won't be on CX.

Looking ahead, I think CX's fate will play out in parallel with HK's: hollowed out because of the political situation. As businesses move to Singapore and elsewhere, as the exodus continues (BA has been flying empty planes to HK because of the travel ban on incoming UK passengers and they go out full), and as the HK government continues its unsustainable policies toward Covid containment, inbound demand is not likely to bounce back. Given the recent arrests of journalists, the purge going on in higher education, and the other things I have witnessed and believe are still going on behind the scenes, it's hard to see HK returning to its former status as a thriving business and finance center. After Covid (whatever that looks like), there will be very little tourism from neighboring Asian countries. Tourism from China dropped off a cliff during the protests as well -- mainlanders didn't feel safe and sensibly stayed away -- and I don't expect it to rebound either. HK will still be a large, affluent city, and its role as a financial gateway between China and the rest of the world will continue in some diminished capacity, concomitant with the fallout from China's "wolf warrior diplomacy." There will still be a need for CX. But people there do take the "yellow economic circle" (businesses known to be pro-democracy) seriously, and CX unfortunately ruined its relationship with the public by capitulating. The rest of the world may not realize how bad things there actually got in 2019, nor how sinister they are now, but CX's passenger base know and have other choices.
 
CX Flyboy
Posts: 6192
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:10 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:22 pm

MSMinHKG wrote:
I'm a longtime HK resident who moved to the UK last year just before the current exodus started. I've flown CX more times than I can recall, and my husband has hovered between the upper tiers of Marco Polo membership over the years. We were there through the protests in 2014 and 2019. Although I think that from a rational perspective, people could see that CX was in a politically impossible position, the company lost favor by sacking employees who communicated views that could even marginally be seen as supporting the protests. I'm thinking specifically of the pilot who said "Hang gong yan ga yau" on a descent -- this translates as "Hong Kong people, add oil" -- and the flight crew who were found to have participated in them. (Without going too far off topic and into politics, characterizations of the protests as riots are not of interest and I will not engage.) Anecdotally at least, people we knew started choosing other carriers after that unless they had to fly CX for business reasons, as my husband did. I chose BA for the flights to LHR for the job interview that brought me here and my one-way departure last year. If I return for any reason (I'm not sure this will be possible in light of present circumstances), it won't be on CX.

Looking ahead, I think CX's fate will play out in parallel with HK's: hollowed out because of the political situation. As businesses move to Singapore and elsewhere, as the exodus continues (BA has been flying empty planes to HK because of the travel ban on incoming UK passengers and they go out full), and as the HK government continues its unsustainable policies toward Covid containment, inbound demand is not likely to bounce back. Given the recent arrests of journalists, the purge going on in higher education, and the other things I have witnessed and believe are still going on behind the scenes, it's hard to see HK returning to its former status as a thriving business and finance center. After Covid (whatever that looks like), there will be very little tourism from neighboring Asian countries. Tourism from China dropped off a cliff during the protests as well -- mainlanders didn't feel safe and sensibly stayed away -- and I don't expect it to rebound either. HK will still be a large, affluent city, and its role as a financial gateway between China and the rest of the world will continue in some diminished capacity, concomitant with the fallout from China's "wolf warrior diplomacy." There will still be a need for CX. But people there do take the "yellow economic circle" (businesses known to be pro-democracy) seriously, and CX unfortunately ruined its relationship with the public by capitulating. The rest of the world may not realize how bad things there actually got in 2019, nor how sinister they are now, but CX's passenger base know and have other choices.



A very pessimistic view not shared by all people. I'll leave it at that.
 
Niloko
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:43 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:43 pm

spinotter wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Captaincurious wrote:
Cathay only carried 774 passengers in May https://simpleflying.com/cathay-pacific ... r-figures/


You neglect to specify that the article states that it was 774 passengers PER DAY. I know, still a disastrously low number.

Wow why is Cathay doing so ridiculously bad? Qatar Airways sometimes gets more passengers from Kathmandu nowadays in a single day than what Cathay does from all their routes.
 
avier
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 pm

VRHNM wrote:
The outlook doesn't look particularly bright at the moment given the HK government's staunch stance on trying to keep COVID completely contained (0 cases) - definitely wont help the aviation sector compared to the more 'managing risk' approach taken by SG recently...

That's the case with Australia too. Having lockdowns to ensure zero covid cases means such countries will forever be in a state of lockdown and have borders shut. Aviation and tourism industry in these places will be completely dead then.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 16329
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:55 pm

Niloko wrote:
Wow why is Cathay doing so ridiculously bad? Qatar Airways sometimes gets more passengers from Kathmandu nowadays in a single day than what Cathay does from all their routes.


Suggest you have a search on the COVID entry conditions for HKG put in place by the government and it will answer your question. It is not for a lack of demand.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 888
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:48 pm

avier wrote:
VRHNM wrote:
The outlook doesn't look particularly bright at the moment given the HK government's staunch stance on trying to keep COVID completely contained (0 cases) - definitely wont help the aviation sector compared to the more 'managing risk' approach taken by SG recently...

That's the case with Australia too. Having lockdowns to ensure zero covid cases means such countries will forever be in a state of lockdown and have borders shut. Aviation and tourism industry in these places will be completely dead then.


But comparing the response of Australia to that of the USA, I would rather be in Australia up until now. I don't know how the eventual outcomes will compare - too bad Australia's vaccination strategy has been such a disaster.
 
VRHNM
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:23 am

spinotter wrote:
avier wrote:
VRHNM wrote:
The outlook doesn't look particularly bright at the moment given the HK government's staunch stance on trying to keep COVID completely contained (0 cases) - definitely wont help the aviation sector compared to the more 'managing risk' approach taken by SG recently...

That's the case with Australia too. Having lockdowns to ensure zero covid cases means such countries will forever be in a state of lockdown and have borders shut. Aviation and tourism industry in these places will be completely dead then.


But comparing the response of Australia to that of the USA, I would rather be in Australia up until now. I don't know how the eventual outcomes will compare - too bad Australia's vaccination strategy has been such a disaster.


With no home base to rely on I think continuing this rather unsustainable practice would hurt CX pretty hard (of course for the city's health it is a good practice, but definitely not in the interests of the airline industry)

Hopefully remaining restrictions on transit etc would be able to be worked out to at least carry some of that traffic..
 
itisi
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am

Niloko wrote:
spinotter wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Captaincurious wrote:
Cathay only carried 774 passengers in May https://simpleflying.com/cathay-pacific ... r-figures/


You neglect to specify that the article states that it was 774 passengers PER DAY. I know, still a disastrously low number.

Wow why is Cathay doing so ridiculously bad? Qatar Airways sometimes gets more passengers from Kathmandu nowadays in a single day than what Cathay does from all their routes.


Because here in HKG the government is doing its very best to keep Covid out. Other countries just operate as normal and hope for the best....
 
Captaincurious
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am

I mean I'm fine with Covid in. People who want to be vaccinated have already done so, so we should live with covid
 
blandy62
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:53 am

Captaincurious wrote:
I mean I'm fine with Covid in. People who want to be vaccinated have already done so, so we should live with covid


excpet the fat that people here are afraid of their own shaddow....
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:37 am

Latest image for A21N interior
https://facebook.com/412896745390552/po ... 31784/?d=n
https://www.facebook.com/19267842412211 ... 60968/?d=n


Key point:
12C+190Y
Business class: recliner seat for max 40deg, 15.6” 4K screen
Economic class: 11.6 inch 4k screen with bluetooth and type-c charge button can be a flat bad when all handles are uprisen
Overhead lockers: +40% volume

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos