Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:54 am

chunhimlai wrote:
Latest image for A21N interior
https://facebook.com/412896745390552/po ... 31784/?d=n
https://www.facebook.com/19267842412211 ... 60968/?d=n

Key point:
12C+190Y
Business class: recliner seat for max 40deg, 15.6” 4K screen
Economic class: 11.6 inch 4k screen with bluetooth and type-c charge button can be a flat bad when all handles are uprisen
Overhead lockers: +40% volume

Oh dear they selected the cabin flex option and three washrooms at the back. Good luck to all cabin crew working with it. Seat map is now uploaded in CX website.

Here are various airlines seat map for their respective A321:
CX: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_ZA/ ... 21neo.html
JX: https://www.starlux-airlines.com/en-US/ ... e/Ourfleet
BR: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/fly-pr ... /A321-200/
DL: https://www.delta.com/us/en/aircraft/airbus/a321

zakuivcustom

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:21 pm

To nobody's surprise, the loss continue...

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/08/11/hong- ... yILbxfrX2M

157k pax TOTAL in the entire 1H2021...ouch.

While CX is somewhat optimistic about upcoming quarters, as long as HK basically shut down travel and imposed almost idiotic restrictions, the number will not change. Even Singapore gave up on the so-call "zero tolerance" policy!

chrisnh

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:02 am

Boston just restarted on the A350-1000. Great to see! BOS is slowly rebuilding its Asia service.

Western727

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:14 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
To nobody's surprise, the loss continue...

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/08/11/hong- ... yILbxfrX2M

157k pax TOTAL in the entire 1H2021...ouch.

While CX is somewhat optimistic about upcoming quarters, as long as HK basically shut down travel and imposed almost idiotic restrictions, the number will not change. Even Singapore gave up on the so-call "zero tolerance" policy!

That's just sad. Not even 1/4 million over SIX months.

LAXintl

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:45 pm

CX created a page detailing the A321NEO. Surprised it has such a tiny business class section (only 12 seats)

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... 21neo.html

mercure1

Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:44 pm

HKG airport held a ceremony marking the completion of the third 3800m runway pavement work. Runway will be operational starting 2022.

Too bad hardly needed with traffic down more than 90%

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/medi ... 21/pr_1560

AngMoh

Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:08 am

Cathay to close their London pilot base and considering closing the US pilot bases.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busines ... es-2166196

factsonly

Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Recently Cathay has combined LHR with other European cities on circle routings, does anyone have an explanation for this?
Is it traffic volumes ex-Europe, or lack of demand ex-UK?

- 11 and 12 September CX237 HKG-LHR-AMS
- 19 and 20 September CX237 HKG-LHR-FRA
- 15, 16 + 17 September CX253 HKG-LHR-CDG
- daily September CX255 HKG-LHR-FRA

This is in addition to direct non-stop scheduled services to LHR, AMS, CDG and FRA.

Captaincurious

Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:20 pm

factsonly wrote:
Recently Cathay has combined LHR with other European cities on circle routings, does anyone have an explanation for this?

This is in addition to direct non-stop scheduled services to LHR, AMS, CDG and FRA.

All flights to LHR are full. But there are very few people going to other destinations. Not sure about the demand of LHR ti HKG but LHR passengers have to be fully vaccinated before they are allowed on board.

AA100

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:17 am

factsonly wrote:

This may have something to do with crew and avoiding crew resting over in LHR?

yonahleung

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 am

factsonly wrote:

Due to inbound travel restrictions into Hong Kong from FR,NL,UK (21 day of quarantine for the fully vaccinated) (and a bunch of other reasons that the world is fully aware of which we are not free to discuss in Hong Kong), flights to Hong Kong are very empty while they are full outbound from Hong Kong (esp. to the UK and Canada).
Restrictions inbound from Germany are less restrictive (14 days for the vaccinated) but I guess demand is similarly weak. Guess CX is capitalising on the HK->UK demand and pick up some cargo for the European ports on the way back.

CX Flyboy

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:39 pm

AA100 wrote:
factsonly wrote:

This may have something to do with crew and avoiding crew resting over in LHR?

Exactly. Quarantine is required in HKG for all crew who have had a layover in the UK, so the flights are being rerouted so crew can avoid UK layovers.

avier

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:59 pm

yonahleung wrote:
factsonly wrote:

Due to inbound travel restrictions into Hong Kong from FR,NL,UK (21 day of quarantine for the fully vaccinated) (and a bunch of other reasons that the world is fully aware of which we are not free to discuss in Hong Kong), flights to Hong Kong are very empty while they are full outbound from Hong Kong (esp. to the UK and Canada).

The mass exodus from Hong Kong is only to UK and Canada or elsewhere too? And what are the figures for it, if any?

I wonder what CX and its traffic pattern would be like in a post pandemic world. Most other countries will return to some level of normalcy but HKG and CX will be something very interesting to see.

Western727

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:34 pm

avier wrote:
yonahleung wrote:
factsonly wrote:

Most other countries will return to some level of normalcy but HKG and CX will be something very interesting to see.

Totally agree. While I try to remain optimistic, it will be very interesting to watch.

yonahleung

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm

avier wrote:
yonahleung wrote:
factsonly wrote:

The mass exodus from Hong Kong is only to UK and Canada or elsewhere too? And what are the figures for it, if any?

I wonder what CX and its traffic pattern would be like in a post pandemic world. Most other countries will return to some level of normalcy but HKG and CX will be something very interesting to see.

The exodus raw figures are here: https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/message_from_us/stat21.html Basically you just subtract the inbound travelers from the outbound travelers.
The processed figures are here: https://webb-site.com/dbpub/hkpax.asp?t=1&p=1
The figure is usually somewhere between 300 to 1000 per day and accumulatively it's about 108,000 out of a population of 7 sth million in the past year.

Western727

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:04 pm

yonahleung wrote:
avier wrote:
yonahleung wrote:

The exodus raw figures are here: https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/message_from_us/stat21.html Basically you just subtract the inbound travelers from the outbound travelers.
The processed figures are here: https://webb-site.com/dbpub/hkpax.asp?t=1&p=1
The figure is usually somewhere between 300 to 1000 per day and accumulatively it's about 108,000 out of a population of 7 sth million in the past year.

Thank you, kindly, yonahleung. The data is quite an eye-opener. Sure, we've all had a sense of this from the media and anecdotes but seeing that data is powerful.

mercure1

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Unfortunately, winter 2021 not shaping up to be good for Cathay as global travel restrictions hamper any growth. They originally planned to operate about 30% of 2019 capacity in Q4, but now have trimmed that back to a mere 13%!

Only good news is strong cargo demand, and the carrier is switching two additional 777-300ER passenger aircraft for cargo services.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... city-goal/

LAXintl

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 pm

September 24 marks 75th anniversary of the founding of Cathay Pacific.

DanielsBrawley

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:07 am

LAXintl wrote:

Glad I'm not THAT OLD! LOL

Seriously though, it's heartbreaking what CX has become. I escaped several months ago and thankfully I didn't have a family to worry about. I was $hit house lucky to get a right seat on a corporate falcon and should be left seat soon. I'm resigned to the fact I'll probably never fly the big jets again but I'll always look back on my time in Hong Kong with great joy. The last few years at CX not so much though. The friends I left behind are stressed to the max about their future which doesn't look good. CX will never be the airline it was unless something extraordinary happens. Just don't see it in the current environment. Really tough situation there. :(

DanielsBrawley

Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:07 am

LAXintl wrote:

Glad I'm not THAT OLD! LOL

Seriously though, it's heartbreaking what CX has become. I escaped several months ago and thankfully I didn't have a family to worry about. I was $hit house lucky to get a right seat on a corporate falcon and should be left seat soon. I'm resigned to the fact I'll probably never fly the big jets again but I'll always look back on my time in Hong Kong with great joy. The last few years at CX not so much though. The friends I left behind are stressed to the max about their future which doesn't look good. CX will never be the airline it was unless something extraordinary happens. Just don't see it in the current environment. Really tough situation there. :(

DanielsBrawley

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:13 am

Im surprised there are not more CX people here. Many of us huddled at PPRUNE but with the recent CX news on base closings and visa issues I would have thought a site this big had more CX peeps. I know they have a lot to add but it's a painful subject. Now that I'm free I'm invigorated but I still hurt for my friends and miss the city.

For those not familiar, CX is probably having the most COVId difficulties of any major airline in the world. I wish there was an answer to solve it. I HATED leaving Hong Kong. It's such an incredibly vibrant city offering a fantastic lifestyle experience. I'll probably never live in Hong Kong again but I can't wait to visit when time allows and the situation with COVId stabilizes. Anyone with a chance to visit Hong Kong in the future would be well served to stop over. It's a great city.

Captaincurious

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:35 am

Still in the city and the border is not reopening. Super depressing and really can't see the point of zero cases when Mianland China is not opening its borders. This is only a political exercise and if China is not opening its border asap, I advocate for opening the border to the world and just shut the border to China. If the border ropens to non Chinese destinations, Cathay must be able to get a lot of leisure traffic.

kaitak

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:35 am

CX closed its oversees bases and most if not all of the pilots in those bases were denied visas to live in HK, which effectively means that these pilots lose their jobs. They will be entitled to redundancy payments, but it is a bitter way to lose one's career. I can't help wondering if CX knew (or even had an understanding with) the HK authorities would deny these pilots visas to return.

The counter argument is that there are hundreds of unemployed HK resident pilots without jobs, but even still, it must be an extremely stressful situaiton for those pilots who have lost their careers due to no fault of their own.

zeke

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am

kaitak wrote:
CX closed its oversees bases and most if not all of the pilots in those bases were denied visas to live in HK, which effectively means that these pilots lose their jobs. They will be entitled to redundancy payments, but it is a bitter way to lose one's career. I can't help wondering if CX knew (or even had an understanding with) the HK authorities would deny these pilots visas to return.

The counter argument is that there are hundreds of unemployed HK resident pilots without jobs, but even still, it must be an extremely stressful situaiton for those pilots who have lost their careers due to no fault of their own.

Many of the pilots who had been around a long time had permanent residency in HKG and therefore the right to return (they had already spent a significant amount of time in HKG), many of those who were denied new visas had never actually worked in HKG before, they were always on the base. Many of those who had permanent residency actually decided not to come back, more of those with lesser experience were in the demographic of those wanting to return.

I can understand them being denied new initial work visas when there are already qualified unemployed pilots in HKG. I cannot understand the logic in denying work visa renewals for those who were based in HKG.

Employers should still have the right to employ who they want, they may not want to employ some of those unemployed pilots.

eurotrader85

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:52 am

DanielsBrawley wrote:
Im surprised there are not more CX people here. Many of us huddled at PPRUNE but with the recent CX news on base closings and visa issues I would have thought a site this big had more CX peeps. I know they have a lot to add but it's a painful subject. Now that I'm free I'm invigorated but I still hurt for my friends and miss the city.

For those not familiar, CX is probably having the most COVId difficulties of any major airline in the world. I wish there was an answer to solve it. I HATED leaving Hong Kong. It's such an incredibly vibrant city offering a fantastic lifestyle experience. I'll probably never live in Hong Kong again but I can't wait to visit when time allows and the situation with COVId stabilizes. Anyone with a chance to visit Hong Kong in the future would be well served to stop over. It's a great city.

There is an answer to solve it. The border needs to open in a controlled manner to vaccinated Pax from countries with good vaccination rates without quarantine. Having also been one of those expats living in HK during the pandemic, who subsequently had to leave, I get the bubble mentality inside the territory to keep the virus out, but as Europe and North America are showing, people can cross borders and it's not 'Apocolypse Now'. You can get on a plane, fly somewhere, do what you need, and funny enough, it's ok. The incoming uplift in slot usage by the EU to 50%, which has been received of wails of protectionism by HK amongst others in Asia, sums up the bubble mentality. One of endless isolation, compared to one of taking the necessary steps forward to push people to normality. I get it's political, but the longer the border closure continues, the worse it will get for CX. Given the pathetically slow movement forwards, I start to wonder how the ownership structure of CX will change, especially as pax pick up in other jurisdictions.

Western727

Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:42 pm

Captaincurious wrote:
Still in the city and the border is not reopening. Super depressing and really can't see the point of zero cases when Mianland China is not opening its borders. This is only a political exercise and if China is not opening its border asap, I advocate for opening the border to the world and just shut the border to China. If the border ropens to non Chinese destinations, Cathay must be able to get a lot of leisure traffic.

Hang in there. I'm sorry it's been extremely tough, and I agree with the argument that CX is the hardest hit of the world's major airlines.

I don't see China allowing HK to open its border to non-Chinese destinations, even if I agree with you that it's the right thing to do. My gut tells me Beijing won't open HK until Beijing itself opens China. :irked:

DanielsBrawley

Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:32 pm

I would disagree that many base pilots returned to Hong Kong. Even those who resided in HK for years and moved to bases did not get return visas. The vast majority of base pilots were cut loose with no regard of seniority or longevity with the company. CX has treated the pilot group like riff raff. Every new policy or contact has squeezed the ever loving crap out of us. The message they are putting out is expats don't belong no matter how long you've been with the company. CX is toxic and it appears they're in cahoots with the ChiComm to exterminate expats regardless of their seniority. PR status is the only thing saving some but even they've been squeezed with garbage contracts and work conditions. Love Hong Kong, hate CX. Here's a big middle finger for you upper crust CX management and ChiComm puppet masters. Thank god I'm not under your thumb any more.

DanielsBrawley

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:31 am

More heart breaking news for my friends still on the ground. Not sure how this ends with the current quarantine policy. The airline has to be bleeding unrecoverable amounts of money. 90% of pax loss going on 2 years is unsustainable. When do they pull the plug and give up?

https://www.aerotime.aero/29230-cathay- ... ember-2021

The figures for September 2021 show that Cathay Pacific carried a total of 131,774 passengers, a slight decrease compared to August 2021, when the airline carried 135,353 passengers.

During the month, passenger load factor increased to 45.8% compared to September 2020, Meanwhile capacity increased by 40.4% from 2020, but remained 87.4% down against the pre-pandemic levels of September 2019.

AeroAndy

Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:44 am

DanielsBrawley wrote:
I would disagree that many base pilots returned to Hong Kong. Even those who resided in HK for years and moved to bases did not get return visas. The vast majority of base pilots were cut loose with no regard of seniority or longevity with the company. CX has treated the pilot group like riff raff. Every new policy or contact has squeezed the ever loving crap out of us. The message they are putting out is expats don't belong no matter how long you've been with the company. CX is toxic and it appears they're in cahoots with the ChiComm to exterminate expats regardless of their seniority. PR status is the only thing saving some but even they've been squeezed with garbage contracts and work conditions. Love Hong Kong, hate CX. Here's a big middle finger for you upper crust CX management and ChiComm puppet masters. Thank god I'm not under your thumb any more.

And here I thought of having a flying career with them.

I feel that the end of CX is soon to be upon us; but only because mainland China wants it that way; by destroying anything with a Hong Kong Identity....

VRHNM

Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm

AeroAndy wrote:
DanielsBrawley wrote:

And here I thought of having a flying career with them.

I feel that the end of CX is soon to be upon us; but only because mainland China wants it that way; by destroying anything with a Hong Kong Identity....

Doubt it- financially CX has gradually improved its position over time (since the beginning of the pandemic) and liquidity is currently at a high point
But yes, challenges and concerns from the North will likely to continue to interfere with normal business decisions

Kiwings

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:08 pm

What is the current status of the CX widebody fleet. They still seem to be taking delivery of 350's. Based on HKG's strict border controls and political issues impacting on HK's future as a leading business centre, is CX going to have to reduce their w/b fleet in any way. There must be a limit on how long they can keep aircraft parked up before they decide to despise of them.

CX Flyboy

Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:31 am

Kiwings wrote:
What is the current status of the CX widebody fleet. They still seem to be taking delivery of 350's. Based on HKG's strict border controls and political issues impacting on HK's future as a leading business centre, is CX going to have to reduce their w/b fleet in any way. There must be a limit on how long they can keep aircraft parked up before they decide to despise of them.

There are still around 70 pax planes stored in HKG and ASP. They are taking the A321Neo slowly as well as a few more A350s (eventually). In the meantime they have returned a couple of 77Ws and another one left today to join the Qatar fleet. Another 3 will go in the next couple of months to Qatar.

chonetsao

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:00 am

I recently came across this article:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... -passenger

For non-subscribers there is a free version here;
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... -infection

What I found fascinating is that how China is in total control on when and how Hong Kong would open to who:

David Hui Shu-cheong, a government pandemic adviser, said the airport's plan was a good way to reduce cross-infections.

"[Mainland officials] expressed concern about Hong Kong's border control. So Hong Kong has to do something to tighten the measures to make the mainland feel more confident about the border reopening," he said.

Although this article is not directly linked to CX and its future. But it does provides some insight on when CX could get out of the crisis and how.

I think the writing is clear, Hong Kong won't open up very soon. Maybe another year as minimum. The local progressive tries to segregate arrivals by region in order to open up slowly and to please mainland regulators, yet its total dependence on mainland control could also spell trouble for future and also CX's survival. The outlook for CX's next 3-4 quarters will be very bleak. Things could change by March when mainland visitors can visit without quarantine like what Macau did, and some traffic can be picked up between Hong Kong and mainland. However, one has to bear in mind that CX will have to share traffic with several mainland carriers (and HSR) and the revenue may not be able to provide any significant improvement.

Should mainland opening is possible by March/April, the next phase may not start until 1st July 2022 logically, when mainland regulators decides it is time to reward Hong Kong for its loyalty and relax muscle a bit. If that failed, then 1st October 2022 might be the next target.

Will CX be able to last until then? What does CX have in plan to be hibernating that long? I personally feel that CX needs a plan B, like set up new airlines in Taiwan or Canada by Swire group of companies, and starts to move assets like airplanes to the new company and slowly reduce its exposure to the uncertainties in Hong Kong for years to come. CX left Shanghai for Hong Kong in last century. Maybe it is the time to think unthinkable that to leave Hong Kong for another liberal business friendly territory?

RoyalBrunei757

Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:03 pm

Kiwings wrote:

Here is what I have gathered:
A330-300
Total in fleet: 39
In storage: ASP: 9, HK: 12
In operation: 18

A350-900/1000
Total in fleet: 43 (15 -1000s, 28 -900s)
In storage: HK: 1
In operation: 42
On order: 3 -1000s, 2- 900s (order will be completed once these are delivered)

B777-300ER
Total in fleet: 45
In storage: ASP: 23, HK: 2
In operation: 20
Leaving to QR (excluded from the total# above): B-KPL, B-KPM, B-KPN and one more unidentified

B777-300
Total in fleet: 17
In storage: ASP: 15
In operation: 2

Boeing 777-9
On order: 21

CX Flyboy

Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:52 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
Kiwings wrote:
Leaving to QR (excluded from the total# above): B-KPL, B-KPM, B-KPN and one more unidentified

B-KPP

DanielsBrawley

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:24 pm

I’m so grateful to be out of this mess. Now you have the privilege of staying in their “hotel” (more like a jail) if you happen to find yourself in the unfortunate position these poor sods did. My heart aches for the friends and families I left behind. HK’s zero tolerance covid policy is not sustainable. Nothing will improve with CX and many other aspects of life in HK until this policy is abandoned. UGH…

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/cath ... _campaign=

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59301409

DanielsBrawley

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:44 pm

And yet, even with a 97% pax loss compared to pre-pandemic, they are apparently close to breaking even. Cargo is keeping them alive.

I can’t link the Danny Lee’s article with the SCMP as it’s paywalled but I found similar info in this one:

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/c ... 66.article

If CX had any stones they’d fully staff and reopen all bases! Move all pilots to the bases and never get off the aircraft in HK! Yes I know…not happening but it would be one way to give the “up yours” to the north.

ramprat320

Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:03 pm

Hong Kong’s dependency on China is growing. By design I’m sure.

RoyalBrunei757

Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:33 am

The current tougher COVID19 rules was imposed after some of the flight crew were caught breaking isolation rules while they were in Germany:

Cathay Pacific sacks three pilots for catching Covid on layover: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... on-layover

Unless this story is cooked up, the crew has no one to blame but themselves, knowingly the tough rules when they reach their homebase. They did say: “As a result of these findings, we have requested the government to review the decision to place certain groups into government quarantine,” Cathay said.
Last edited by RoyalBrunei757 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

zkojq

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:05 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
The current tougher COVID19 rules was imposed after some of the flight crew were caught breaking isolation rules while they were in Germany:

Cathay Pacific sacks three pilots for catching Covid on layover: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... on-layover

Unless this story is cooked up, the crew has no one to blame but themselves, knowingly the tough rules when they reach their homebase. They did say: “As a result of these findings, we have requested the government to review the decision to place certain groups into government quarantine,” Cathay said.

This smacks of them throwing three crew members under the bus inorder to try and get the dozens and dozens of cargo pilots out of enforced quarantine. Saving face and all that.

ramprat320

Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 am

I’m curious how long a layover would they have had? It’s highly unlikely they would’ve tested positive 24 hours later when arriving in HKG even if they had been exposed.

eurotrader85

Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am

Plot thickens, seems the pilots have admitted to breaching, but it does all seem to be a crazy over the top publicity stunt, especially when taking into consideration the school in Discovery Bay.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3156799/coronavirus-hong-kong-more-100-cathay-pacific?utm_content=article&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1tXAkyB2oRCUrtwpyChXSiSoem6E7okoV15VyqjaadF0ajv3iTiPzacs4#Echobox=1637403453

DanielsBrawley

Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:21 pm

I couldn't find a news source but got an email from friend in the city saying the rumor is restrictions might be eased. Anyone else in the city confirm or have a news source?

classicjets

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:19 am

DanielsBrawley wrote:
I couldn't find a news source but got an email from friend in the city saying the rumor is restrictions might be eased. Anyone else in the city confirm or have a news source?

The restrictions that are expected to be eased are for travel between Hong Kong and the mainland, probably first only with Guangdong province and limited quotas, expanding if it goes smoothly. This is expected to happen late December or January and applies to land crossings only. To make it happen other restrictions need to be tightened, especially at the airport, to bring the city in line with mainland covid prevention practices so the border can be normalized. Mainland inspectors have been visiting the airport, quarantine hotels, contact tracing and testing centres, etc. this week to give further suggestions for improvement. All of this means that should the mainland flow of travel fully resume, HK will need to maintain very similar policies to the mainland with regard to travel to and from other regions.

Latest headline: "Tighten airport measures, Beijing delegation urges Hong Kong in inspection visit over border reopening"
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... ng-efforts

CX Flyboy

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:20 am

DanielsBrawley wrote:

Many of the pilots who stayed in FRA have now been let out of quarantine early and have gone home. The ones were remaining were the ones who directly contacted the 3 pilots who tested positive.

chrisnh

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pm

I hope this airline is coming back to BOS. They did so well, and demand for BOS-HKG warrants some sort of service…if not to HKG itself, to the general region.

DanielsBrawley

Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 am

classicjets wrote:
DanielsBrawley wrote:

The restrictions that are expected to be eased are for travel between Hong Kong and the mainland, probably first only with Guangdong province and limited quotas, expanding if it goes smoothly. This is expected to happen late December or January and applies to land crossings only. To make it happen other restrictions need to be tightened, especially at the airport, to bring the city in line with mainland covid prevention practices so the border can be normalized. Mainland inspectors have been visiting the airport, quarantine hotels, contact tracing and testing centres, etc. this week to give further suggestions for improvement. All of this means that should the mainland flow of travel fully resume, HK will need to maintain very similar policies to the mainland with regard to travel to and from other regions.

Latest headline: "Tighten airport measures, Beijing delegation urges Hong Kong in inspection visit over border reopening"
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... ng-efforts

It was a personal email but at the end he said “hey, might be some restrictions easing”. Didnt want to ask and discussing with friends who are stressed is not good conversation. At least it’s giving some hope to those on the ground. Not great though. :(

CX Flyboy wrote:
DanielsBrawley wrote:

Many of the pilots who stayed in FRA have now been let out of quarantine early and have gone home. The ones were remaining were the ones who directly contacted the 3 pilots who tested positive.

Thanks mate. Can only hope those in charge get their act together. It’s beyond stressful for those at CX.

CX Flyboy

Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:08 pm

DanielsBrawley wrote:
It’s beyond stressful for those at CX.

Yeah, hence why at the current rate we won't have any pilots left!

RoyalBrunei757

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Hong Kong's Strict COVID-19 Rules Are Mentally Burdening, Cathay Pacific Pilot: I Can't Continue This

https://voi.id/en/news/108218/hong-kong ... tinue-this

JAKARTA - One of Asia's largest airlines, Cathay Pacific, is facing opposition from pilots, saying Hong Kong's strict quarantine rules under its zero-COVID policy are endangering their mental health, leading to increased stress and resignations.

Several current and recently departed Cathay pilots told Reuters morale was low and resignations were rising a year after many had their salaries permanently cut by up to 58 percent.

... Pilots, for example, were asked to avoid 'unnecessary social contact' for three weeks, after returning to Hong Kong, but they were not given any time off as compensation.

Cathay said on Thursday that some inbound flights during the peak December demand season would be cancelled, indicating a lack of volunteers.

The airline said it was aware of the strain on its pilots and had bi-weekly dial-in sessions to share issues, as well as programs such as a peer-based pilot assistance network and offering extended leave.

Pilots who spoke to Reuters said they expect more resignations next year, when the transitional housing and school allowance ends.

Cathay said it would hire "several hundred" new pilots and restart its cadet program in the coming year.

Oh dear, sounds like a mental roller coaster ride at CX, God speed for everyone there............

Kent350787

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I hope this airline is coming back to BOS. They did so well, and demand for BOS-HKG warrants some sort of service…if not to HKG itself, to the general region.

My last flights pre-Covid were BOS-HKG-SYD with CX, and I was a actually a little surprised at the load given the nasty departure time. I suppose I was a little surprised that it was a 4 class product.

CX hasn't stopped to SYD, but it will be very interesting to see how demand goes once borders are more open. Will it move back to 3x daily, and will it be 3 class or 4 class?