Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
 
MCTSET
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 am

They have already been operating the 321neo for a year I’m confused?
 
emre787
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:18 am

MCTSET wrote:
They have already been operating the 321neo for a year I’m confused?

Same confusion here. According to Wikipedia, they're already operating 43 A321neos... 35 HA, 4 UK and 4 UAE registered
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 pm

MCTSET wrote:
They have already been operating the 321neo for a year I’m confused?


In 2017 they ordered a total of 146 A321neo aircraft. Five days ago the first was delivered to them from Hamburg.
 
MCTSET
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:24 pm

Then when are the other A321neo’s ordered.
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:28 pm

MCTSET wrote:
Then when are the other A321neo’s ordered.


No idea but the one that was delivered a few days ago is part of the following order:

https://www.ft.com/content/72f40313-bfd ... 49ad680496

I guess the remaining ones were ordered a year or two before.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:19 pm

myki wrote:
I'm a novice when it comes to aircraft ... will the A321neo allow them to fly further? is it just a larger aircraft travelling the current distances? can it carry more AND travel further?


On the paper the A321neo has 20% less fuel burn and a 500nautical mile additional range compared to the A321ceo. Wizz puts 9 more seats inside (+3,9%), which reduces the additional range.

But ULCCs fly with the same flight crew from a base to a destination and back. The maximum allowed working hours for pilots allow the ULCCs flights for up to 6 hours.

So in the end an extended range of the A321neo has no effect for Wizz, unless they want to accommodate a flight crew in a hotel.

Maybe sometime in the future they gonna have a flight with the A321neo with slightly more than 6 hours with another flight crew on the way back. Would be suitable for a route with a high demand. (e.g. Rome<>AUH or Milan<>AUH)

With the 7-8 hour flights of the XLR, Wizz needs to accommodate the flight crew in a hotel.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:49 am

MCTSET wrote:
Then when are the other A321neo’s ordered.


in June 2015. That delivery started in March 2019.

Their A321neo also being called a gamechanger ^^

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... -aircraft-

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... r-for-wizz
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:55 am

Meanwhile Wizz Air decides against flying to SPU this winter, all planned flights are cancelled.
They are also discontinuing BEG-Sandefjord, they couldn't compete with JU and DY which fly to/from OSL.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:09 am

alright. the more I think about it, the more could a merger/take-over with Easyjet make sense. Wizz being strong between Eastern and Western Europe. Easyjet having a quite big presence intra Central and Western Europe. Wizz wants to grow inside Western Europe anyway.

And they want to have 500 planes. Together with Easyjet they'd almost have them :) Both of them with an Airbus fleet. And the founder of Easyjet is unhappy about the future strategy anyway.

I mean Easyjet carries business travellers flying from Amsterdam, CDG, Geneva and so on. The amount of business travellers will recover more slowly. Easyjet is somewhere between a legacy and a low cost carrier. Providing protected transfers with cooperating long-haul airlines. Is 'Worldwide by Easyjet' really successful?

I don't see much space for Easyjet while Vueling, Eurowings and Transavia are growing. Those airlines can be much better connected with long haul operations of the legacy carriers. Eurowings started going into markets outside of Germany. BA starts a new LCC in Easyjet's home base.

Wizz and Easyjet being together gonna become a question of the cost base. Wizz wants to operate from more busy/expensive airports like LGW and Orly anyway. But can Wizz continue to deny unions then?
 
MCTSET
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 am

airlinenavigato wrote:
alright. the more I think about it, the more could a merger/take-over with Easyjet make sense. Wizz being strong between Eastern and Western Europe. Easyjet having a quite big presence intra Central and Western Europe. Wizz wants to grow inside Western Europe anyway.

And they want to have 500 planes. Together with Easyjet they'd almost have them :) Both of them with an Airbus fleet. And the founder of Easyjet is unhappy about the future strategy anyway.

I mean Easyjet carries business travellers flying from Amsterdam, CDG, Geneva and so on. The amount of business travellers will recover more slowly. Easyjet is somewhere between a legacy and a low cost carrier. Providing protected transfers with cooperating long-haul airlines. Is 'Worldwide by Easyjet' really successful?

I don't see much space for Easyjet while Vueling, Eurowings and Transavia are growing. Those airlines can be much better connected with long haul operations of the legacy carriers. Eurowings started going into markets outside of Germany. BA starts a new LCC in Easyjet's home base.

Wizz and Easyjet being together gonna become a question of the cost base. Wizz wants to operate from more busy/expensive airports like LGW and Orly anyway. But can Wizz continue to deny unions then?



That’s the problem does wizz drag down the easy cost base, which will be extremely difficult as easy is unionised workforce from many of its bases, or does wizz try to match them and push its cost base up, which is the very competitive advantage it holds over the market.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:55 pm

It was hard for Ryanair to lower the cost base of Laudamotion. MOL said he cannot imagine overtaking an airline with a higher costs than Ryanair again ^^

For MOL Easyjet is already "history".

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... ynkrP1Oacv
 
xwb777
Posts: 1264
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Wizz Air is looking at launching flights to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Will increase frequencies to TLV once the flights are resumed.

Source: https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/ ... 1.82250106
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:58 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Wizz Air is looking at launching flights to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Will increase frequencies to TLV once the flights are resumed.

Source: https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/ ... 1.82250106


the load factor of 84% is quite impressive. while having in August 2021 around 100% of the August 2019 capacity.

TLV is scheduled once daily and might then go to twice daily (on certain days of the week)

"the airline’s newly-launched routes initially see fewer passengers. “These routes have to attract new clientele and people have to get to know that we are operating – any new route sees very low numbers"

I wonder if they made enough advertising for the 5W routes or if they gonna do it soon.

"Sharjah-based Air Arabia has announced two new ventures – Fly Arna in Armenia and Fly Jinnah in Pakistan – as it hastens its expansion in new geographies. When asked whether Wizz Air would consider launching in a new market such as South Asia, Schaick said: “We are looking around to see what Wizz Air Abu Dhabi can do and what Wizz Air as a group can do”"

Image

An AOC in Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Bangladesh being the most likely. Or a JV with an Indian company. Bangladesh or Sri Lanka would be nice. They could cover a big area with their 6 hour flights. Just not far enough for Bali ^^

Image

In 2019 DAC had 13 million passengers and CMB 10 million. Bangladesh with 168 million inhabitants, Sri Lanka 22 million
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4725
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:38 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
In 2019 DAC had 13 million passengers and CMB 10 million. Bangladesh with 168 million inhabitants, Sri Lanka 22 million


That's because by far most people in Bangladesh live in poverty, it's one of the poorest countries in the region. Sri Lanka, while not the most wealthy either, is a whole lot wealthier than Bangladesh. For many people in Bangladesh even the dirt cheap tickets that Wizzair sells cost a fortune, likely these people will never fly in their entire life. Keep in mind the average monthly wage in Bangladesh is around €147, on such a wage €10 for a flight ticket is a lot of money.

Also keep in mind that Dhaka isn't the only airport in Bangladesh. Dhaka might be the capital however as a city Chittagong is slightly wealthier than Dhaka. A fair share of passengers bound for Bangladesh pass through Chittagong Airport, which is the second-busiest airport in the country.

If Wizz were to serve Bangladesh, I can just imagine them preferring Chittagong over Dhaka.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4725
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:43 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
[Just not far enough for Bali ^^


Which is not really a problem because they can serve plenty of places from where Bali can be reached for cheap.

However from Sri Lanka they might be able to serve Mauritius and Reunion. Of course only if their aircraft would be ETOPS certified because the entire trip goes over the Indian Ocean with not many diversion opportunities.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
airlinenavigato wrote:
In 2019 DAC had 13 million passengers and CMB 10 million. Bangladesh with 168 million inhabitants, Sri Lanka 22 million


That's because by far most people in Bangladesh live in poverty, it's one of the poorest countries in the region. Sri Lanka, while not the most wealthy either, is a whole lot wealthier than Bangladesh. For many people in Bangladesh even the dirt cheap tickets that Wizzair sells cost a fortune, likely these people will never fly in their entire life. Keep in mind the average monthly wage in Bangladesh is around €147, on such a wage €10 for a flight ticket is a lot of money.

Also keep in mind that Dhaka isn't the only airport in Bangladesh. Dhaka might be the capital however as a city Chittagong is slightly wealthier than Dhaka. A fair share of passengers bound for Bangladesh pass through Chittagong Airport, which is the second-busiest airport in the country.

If Wizz were to serve Bangladesh, I can just imagine them preferring Chittagong over Dhaka.


ahh, the top 10% of the Bangladesh population can surely afford a flight. The top 10% are still 17 million people.

The poor world population can afford more every decade. A Boeing manager said that millions of Asian people more can afford flying every year.

The average income of Bangladesh is higher than in India and in India there are LCC international flights.

Flights in Bangladesh are mostly outbound. There were only 320.000 tourists in 2019. So the 13 million passengers where mostly Bangladesh people. A good part of them people who work in countries with a higher income - Wizz' specialty ^^

The number of passengers in the Dhaka airport gonna increase from 13 million to 22 million in 2035. gonna be more with the Wizz 10€ (1,000 Taka) tickets ;)

From Bangladesh Wizz could connect some airports they already serve like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Nur-Sultan, Almaty, Salalah, Muscat, Bahrain and then Doha and Saudi Arabia. Possibly India if the regulations allow it.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ST ... cations=BD

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newind ... 304942.amp

https://www.airport-technology.com/proj ... ion-dhaka/
 
A330Inter
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:06 am

Please investigate a little context on the numbers.
Bangladesh travelers are either going to:
- Jeddah for pilgrimmage --> ticketa are bought via agencies who organize the whole pilgrimage tour, heavy baggage required
- Gulf countries for work --> tickets are bought via agencies who organize the visa process and book one-way fares. These workers are allowed in general a return ticket every year or two years to visit their family back home, again ticket is paid by the employer who is obliged to provide this ticket
- US --> this is for the wealthy who indeed can afford the trip, either students, tourists or VFR, but in any case not what Wizz is after

Bottom line, there will be no Wizz Air in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc,,, these are not markets like Europe.
And it's been said many times above in the thread, no need to fantasize about 6hrs flight range of the 321Neo, these flights are costly and they only work if passengers are willing to pay the price for it, not the 5 pax on board who got the deal of a lifetime at 10 quid without luggage and meal
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 pm

The destinations that most airlines serve from Dhaka are Kolkata and Kuala Lumpur. And both destinations are not covered in the groups of travellers you mentioned.

Wizz has many 5-6 hour flights between the UAE and Eastern Europe / Italy. Inside a 6 hour range are also destinations that are just 1 hour away and more likely for ultra low fares. Anyway Wizz makes more than 50 % of its revenue by ancillary sales.

Image
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 am

Wizz and Ryanair have currently a price war on Gdansk-Oslo Torp.

Ryanair having it for 19 PLN.

Wizz sets the bar higher (lower) with 4 PLN. That is 0,87€!

Unfortunately no 30% discount on that price!

Image


Image
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:23 pm

myki wrote:
I'm a novice when it comes to aircraft ... will the A321neo allow them to fly further? is it just a larger aircraft travelling the current distances? can it carry more AND travel further?


The A321neo is basically the same as the former A321ceo. Just some improvements to make it more efficient and environmentally friendly. The dimensions are the same. Airbus introduced Airbus Cabin Flex, which can reduce the size of the board kitchen and rearrange the lavatories in order to get more seats inside. The maximum amount of seats in the A321neo is 244. Wizz puts 239 inside



The Wizz airport DTM has now a self hubbing cooperation.

The new benefit is the included fast lane when going through the security check. According to the airport more benefits are going to come.

https://www.dortmund-airport.com/stopover-via-dortmund
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Some days ago the Bali government wanted to forbid backpackers on the island. Stating a focus on "quality tourism". Cannot understand: A lot of hostels have a high quality.

Now the government announced that everybody gonna be welcomed.

Unfortunately it's unlikely to fly from Abu Dhabi to Bali with two 6-hour Wizz flights:

Image

The Wizz base would have to be inside that triangle in Myanmar. But in that triangle is no suitable airport. Or in the south east of Sri Lanka. There is only the so called world's emptiest airport ^^

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepar ... 4416047cea

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bali ... -fhplxnsfp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... s-ban/amp/
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:50 am

Wizz Air to suspend 7 ex-YU routes this winter season:

SKP-Bremen
SKP-HAJ
SKP-Vaxjo (for a month in October)

BEG-LCA (competed against JU)
BEG-Sandefjord (competed indirectly against JU and DY)

TZL-NYO
TZL-Vaxjo

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2021/09/wi ... outes.html
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1666
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:22 am

airlinenavigato wrote:
Some days ago the Bali government wanted to forbid backpackers on the island. Stating a focus on "quality tourism". Cannot understand: A lot of hostels have a high quality.


When a Govt minister talks about "quality tourism" they mean they don't want people who spend small amounts of money on accommodation or food, and they also don't want people who just want to get drunk. Google "overtourism" for more on this

In effect "Either spend $100 per person per day and stay sober... or go away"
See Bhutan for an example of this type of Govt policy
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:29 pm

From winter season, Wizz Air will be resuming three routes from Budapest: Gatwick, Odessa and Oslo.

https://airportal.hu/budapestrol-harom- ... inalataba/
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:14 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
airlinenavigato wrote:
Some days ago the Bali government wanted to forbid backpackers on the island. Stating a focus on "quality tourism". Cannot understand: A lot of hostels have a high quality.


When a Govt minister talks about "quality tourism" they mean they don't want people who spend small amounts of money on accommodation or food, and they also don't want people who just want to get drunk. Google "overtourism" for more on this

In effect "Either spend $100 per person per day and stay sober... or go away"
See Bhutan for an example of this type of Govt policy


I answered it in
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1464983

Blerg wrote:
From winter season, Wizz Air will be resuming three routes from Budapest: Gatwick, Odessa and Oslo.

https://airportal.hu/budapestrol-harom- ... inalataba/



hm I was in Odessa in summer time and it was nice. But in winter the avg daily high is 2⁰C. Okay Odessa has almost 1 million inhabitants. could be some VFR traffic.



Wizz postponed the start of AUH routes from early November to the middle of December. According the schedule the 8 based planes are needed then ;)

CTA, KTW, ODS, SJJ and CLJ are still in the running for a start in 2 weeks
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Wizz Air is after passengers going from Odessa to Budapest for tourism. I doubt there are many business ties between the two markets.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:44 pm

The former W6 planes LYU, LWF, LWC and LPQ found new airlines this summer: Smartlynx and Avion Express Malta.

All of them have been photographed totally white:

Image
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:01 am

The Wizz competitor Bees announced the route Kyiv - Sharjah. The lowest fare is 123€ one-way, while Wizz has it to Abu Dhabi for 44€ on some days.
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:09 am

For next summer, Wizz Air has loaded into the system flights from Luton and Rome to Antalya as well as Rome Bodrum flights.

They are already bookable on their website.

If I am not mistaken, this is Wizz Air's second attempt at serving Turkey after they failed miserably on BUD-SAW about a decade ago?
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:13 am

In other news, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi is boosting AUH-BEG from 3 to 4 weekly starting from 19.12.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:23 am

cool. The destinations with the highest weekly frequencies from AUH in October are Bucharest (4) and Budapest (5). BUD gonna be increased to 6 weekly.



Wizz announced BUD-Hurghada. That's great having a nice price flight to a nice price country. Furthermore Wizz connects Europe and Egypt from Naples, Rome and Milan.

The green ones are nice price countries:

Image

https://www.iexpats.com/global-cost-of- ... or-expats/
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:55 am

Blerg wrote:
For next summer, Wizz Air has loaded into the system flights from Luton and Rome to Antalya as well as Rome Bodrum flights.

They are already bookable on their website.

If I am not mistaken, this is Wizz Air's second attempt at serving Turkey after they failed miserably on BUD-SAW about a decade ago?


I flew that route :D
Still don't know why it didn't work for Wizz. And I wonder Wizz and Ryanair don't operate way more routes to Turkey. Especially from Germany with a lot of Turkish migrants and German tourists. Because Turkish airport charges are too high for Wizz and Ryanair?

In December last year Wizz announced flights to Dalaman. I didn't find other Turkish Wizz routes in the news section of their website since BUD-SAW.

airlinenavigato wrote:
The destinations with the highest weekly frequencies from AUH in October are Bucharest (4) and Budapest (5).


from the UAE*

airlinenavigato wrote:
Image


of course it's only a nice-price country if you don't book an all-inclusive package holiday to there. Instead booking accommodations individually and eating in simplified restaurants where the meal is served by the owners.
 
holczakker
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:02 pm

The reason for the suspension of BUD-SAW was security issues (like occasional mortar fire laid on SAW with aiport staff dying etc). There were Antalya flights operated from BUD and IEV as well.
 
xwb777
Posts: 1264
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Wizz air announces new routes from Aqaba, Jordan: Rome, vienna, Budapest Bucharest.

Image
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Wizz air announces new routes from Aqaba, Jordan: Rome, vienna, Budapest Bucharest.

Image


nice!

Flights to Aqaba are subsidized by the Jordan government. Arriving and departing from AQJ, you get a free visa for Jordan and save the 48€ visa fee. The nearby Wadi Rum is nice. A/C intercity buses go from Aqaba to Amman. Laying in the Dead Sea is amazing! Going there is way better priced than from the Israeli side. It's possible to stay in Amman and go from there to Amman beach at the Dead Sea.

Wizz gonna serve FCO and Ryanair CIA. When looking one-way from Aqaba to Rome, both don't show the flights in the Jordan currency. Instead Ryanair shows it in Euro, Wizz in USD.

Currently vaccinated people still need to have a PCR test before arrival...
 
xwb777
Posts: 1264
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:47 pm

New Wizz Air flights to four destinations from Amman.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:44 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Image


All of these routes are direct or indirect competition for Ryanair.

To Vienna Wizz operates even the same flying days! Could be the Wizz answer after MOL predicted, that Wizz will close its base in Vienna ^^
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:25 am

Wizz Air moved the start of some destinations from AUH to the end of March 2022. Including Tel Aviv. The gulfbusiness article says that Wizz only gonna use 3 aircraft from AUH this year.

I think Wizz would ramp up its service when Abu Dhabi dismisses the PCR test for vaccinated travellers.

https://gulfbusiness.com/wizz-air-abu-d ... ew-routes/
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Wizz connects Vienna with Sharm El Sheikh.

Egypt seems to have got hostels lately. Very good ones from 4€ are available in Cairo, Luxor, Hurghada and for somewhat more in Aswan and Dahab.
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:25 pm

Wizz Air is opening its base in Venice, it will become the airline's 7th hub in Italy.

They will base there 2 A321s and will introduce 4 domestic routes and 12 international ones.

Wizz Air currently has bases in Milan Malpensa, Catania, Palermo, Bari, Naples and Rome Fiumicino.

From Venice they will fly to Cagliari, Naples, Lamezia Terme, Lampedusa, Casablanca, Reykjavik, Mykonos, Santorini, Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Palma de Mallorca, Tallinn, London Luton, Tel Aviv, Prague, Sharm el-Sheikh.

Source: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/wizz ... in-venice/
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:33 pm

yep. also from Venice to Sharm. The Egypt flights are a competition for Easyjet. If Ryanair gonna fly to Egypt in the near term?



Algeria wants to become a tourist destination. But there is a high visa fee. An e-visa is planned but no visa on arrival. That's not the way to grow tourism!



Josef Varadi gonna get an £100 million bonus. But only if he grows Wizz by 20% annually in the upcoming 5 years. If he only grows it by 10%, then he gets nothing. That are incentives I like :) And I'm totally willing to pay those a few cents in the ticket fare to contribute for the £100 mio and to support the Wizz growth.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... o-12236054
 
MCTSET
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:54 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
yep. also from Venice to Sharm. The Egypt flights are a competition for Easyjet. If Ryanair gonna fly to Egypt in the near term?



Algeria wants to become a tourist destination. But there is a high visa fee. An e-visa is planned but no visa on arrival. That's not the way to grow tourism!



Josef Varadi gonna get an £100 million bonus. But only if he grows Wizz by 20% annually in the upcoming 5 years. If he only grows it by 10%, then he gets nothing. That are incentives I like :) And I'm totally willing to pay those a few cents in the ticket fare to contribute for the £100 mio and to support the Wizz growth.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... o-12236054


20% annually means he needs to double the size of the airline in 4 years so yes aggressive expansion required meaning more adventurous business decisions like the Abu Dhabi one to be expected. I can quite easily see a Wizz air Russia being launched a country with a huge and growing domestic market, a big migrant population in Central Asia which is Wizz bread and butter and a population that likes to travel abroad for holidays. Just need to get an AOC approved.
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:59 pm

MCTSET wrote:
airlinenavigato wrote:
yep. also from Venice to Sharm. The Egypt flights are a competition for Easyjet. If Ryanair gonna fly to Egypt in the near term?



Algeria wants to become a tourist destination. But there is a high visa fee. An e-visa is planned but no visa on arrival. That's not the way to grow tourism!



Josef Varadi gonna get an £100 million bonus. But only if he grows Wizz by 20% annually in the upcoming 5 years. If he only grows it by 10%, then he gets nothing. That are incentives I like :) And I'm totally willing to pay those a few cents in the ticket fare to contribute for the £100 mio and to support the Wizz growth.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... o-12236054


20% annually means he needs to double the size of the airline in 4 years so yes aggressive expansion required meaning more adventurous business decisions like the Abu Dhabi one to be expected. I can quite easily see a Wizz air Russia being launched a country with a huge and growing domestic market, a big migrant population in Central Asia which is Wizz bread and butter and a population that likes to travel abroad for holidays. Just need to get an AOC approved.


Actually, growing 20% might not be such a difficult task if they are truly doing well in Italy. That right there is a massive market where there is so much room for expansion. Alitalia is on its knees and can't fight back so basically it's up to them and Ryanair to divide it. They just announced their seventh base there and each one of those can be doubled next year. From that alone they can get quite a lot of growth.

I don't think Russians will give them the permits because their own aviation market has developed quite nicely and they have their own LCCs. Given their recent expansion in Turkey, I could see them enter that market more and more
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:25 pm

i'm also not sure about a Russian AOC. Wizz may not want to get between the tensions between the EU and Russia and stay away from introducing sanctions against each other. With the new Russian e-visa I see more flights into Russia. Especially to and from the base in St. Petersburg.

I see Wizz grow with more leisure routes inside and between Western and Southern Europe. Getting an AOC in at least one ex Soviet country in the near term. And growing more in UK and Italy. Ukraine and Armenia could get a boost once the Open Skies with the EU is in effect. MOL already said he wants to put more capacity into Ukraine with 12 airports being interesting to him.

Abu Dhabi has still to prove that it's successful. But Wizz has by far the lowest fares in that region. Maybe they need to work together with agencies bringing workers into the UAE.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ryanai ... 41395.html
 
fly2moon
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 pm

Wizz Air growing by at least 20% annually in the next five years has a side effect other than 100 million bonus for a CEO. It also means at least doubling overall CO2 emissions of Wizz as an airline, even when transition to NEO is taken into account.

Back in the eighties tobacco CEOs enjoyed handsome financial rewards. At that time it was inconceivable that tobacco manufacturers would be prosecuted and then settle $200+ billion tobacco agreement in the next decade, but I digress.

Fortunately it is beyond belief to imagine titans of the airline industry or key airline shareholders being treated the same way in the next 5 or 10 years for doubling emissions or other eco related behaviour. Wizz and airline industry as a whole should be safe.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:41 pm

Do you own an electric car or no car?
Do you get 100% renewable energy in your flat or house?
Do you never fly?
Don't you use streaming like Youtube, Netflix or online TV?
Are you a vegan?

As CO2 emmissions are so important to you, that should be your lifestyle.
 
EIBPI
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:30 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
Do you own an electric car or no car?
Do you get 100% renewable energy in your flat or house?
Do you never fly?
Don't you use streaming like Youtube, Netflix or online TV?
Are you a vegan?

As CO2 emmissions are so important to you, that should be your lifestyle.


Not sure what point you are making?

It certainly makes sense for CEO bonus payments to be linked to growth. At the same time, given the current post-Paris Agreement context, the huge pressures on aviation, and Wizz Air’s repeated claims about green credentials, it would make sense to also see an environmental metric in CEO bonus payments.
 
815253
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm

that's already included by ordering neos and phasing out ceos. In contrast to Lufthansa which still operates A340 and 747.
 
Blerg
Posts: 5222
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:40 pm

EIBPI wrote:
airlinenavigato wrote:
Do you own an electric car or no car?
Do you get 100% renewable energy in your flat or house?
Do you never fly?
Don't you use streaming like Youtube, Netflix or online TV?
Are you a vegan?

As CO2 emmissions are so important to you, that should be your lifestyle.


Not sure what point you are making?

It certainly makes sense for CEO bonus payments to be linked to growth. At the same time, given the current post-Paris Agreement context, the huge pressures on aviation, and Wizz Air’s repeated claims about green credentials, it would make sense to also see an environmental metric in CEO bonus payments.


Wizz Air is a private business meaning its shareholdes should have the right to pay bonuses as they see fit. Don't see why any government should get involved and introduce ecological taxes on bonuses or whatnot. Seems like many who advocate for more green policies have lost their compass.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1666
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Wizz Air News and Discussion Thread - 2021

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Companies are ultimately free to do whatever they like as long as they do not break the law
BUT
Companies that consistently go against the mood of public policy, tend to find laws are changed which make life difficult for them. Companies which are seen to be responsible and trying to move in the right direction tend to be given much more freedom by regulators. Who is to say that in 2 years time, the EU decides to set up some CO2 emissions regulatory body with the capacity to audit large companies ? Furthermore, ESG is becoming a bigger thing for investors - plenty of pension funds simply won't buy the stock of a company that is deemed to be evil.

Wizz is not some plucky little startup - it is a major airline in Europe. It is probably a good idea for Wizz to make some meaningful change to demonstrate it's trying to reduce CO2 emissions in a way that is not just greenwash. Not only will it help with their investors, but it will avoid risking the attention of lawmakers and politicians. The board setting some financial payout goal for Varadi on this topic will go some way to achieving this
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos