Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwking

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - Q1 2021

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:19 am

hohd wrote:
The pandemic has a good side effect, the increase in nonstops from India to US/Canada. With limited competition, nonstops from Air India, United, Air Canada are thriving and I hope it stays that way, the less reliance on connections the better.

Isn't this primarily because the Indian government has restricted 6th freedom traffic during the pandemic? I guess this goes to show the impact that Middle Eastern and European carriers have on traffic flows between India and North America.

I completely expect these non-stops (especially by AI) to be cancelled once 6th freedom is allowed again. It seems like the Indian government has extended this ban until Feb 28th..

hohd

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:55 pm

dfwking wrote:
hohd wrote:
The pandemic has a good side effect, the increase in nonstops from India to US/Canada. With limited competition, nonstops from Air India, United, Air Canada are thriving and I hope it stays that way, the less reliance on connections the better.

Isn't this primarily because the Indian government has restricted 6th freedom traffic during the pandemic? I guess this goes to show the impact that Middle Eastern and European carriers have on traffic flows between India and North America.

I completely expect these non-stops (especially by AI) to be cancelled once 6th freedom is allowed again. It seems like the Indian government has extended this ban until Feb 28th..

I don't think so regarding AI cancelling non stops. The only new routes that AI is flying now is BLR-SFO and the weekly HYD-ORD. BLR-SFO might stay long term, not sure about the single weekly flight from HYD. For that to work the flight has to be at least 3 times week. May be AI should try HYD-SFO now and see how the loads/yields are.

hohd

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:02 pm

highvoltageeee wrote:
hohd wrote:

Wont be surprised if UA launches Washington IAD to Delhi and Air India to LAX or even DFW/IAH. United is copying Air India's routes, wherever AI has started flying (apart from NY area markets) United is following them after watching the flight loads. Only surprising fact is that not any new nonstops from BOM.

Folks, thats good to know. What other hubs does united have which need to be connected to Delhi. I see houston there but not sure if their dreamliners 789 have the range to fly that far. Hopefully uniteds luggage policy is the same as air india as right now people have to pay for the second check in baggage. I heard from some folks that uniteds flights are going fully occupied atleast in the economy not sure about the business class though.

Recently flew on United from EWR to DEL and DEL to ORD, economy was not full, premium economy was full and I came on business on the return was nearly full. But the fares were very low even for business. Yes, on economy only 1 free checked bag is allowed still on United. Regarding IAH, United will look at Washington IAD first, however if AI starts DFW or IAH then United may look into IAH.

highvoltageeee

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:10 pm

hohd wrote:
highvoltageeee wrote:
hohd wrote:

Wont be surprised if UA launches Washington IAD to Delhi and Air India to LAX or even DFW/IAH. United is copying Air India's routes, wherever AI has started flying (apart from NY area markets) United is following them after watching the flight loads. Only surprising fact is that not any new nonstops from BOM.

Folks, thats good to know. What other hubs does united have which need to be connected to Delhi. I see houston there but not sure if their dreamliners 789 have the range to fly that far. Hopefully uniteds luggage policy is the same as air india as right now people have to pay for the second check in baggage. I heard from some folks that uniteds flights are going fully occupied atleast in the economy not sure about the business class though.

Recently flew on United from EWR to DEL and DEL to ORD, economy was not full, premium economy was full and I came on business on the return was nearly full. But the fares were very low even for business. Yes, on economy only 1 free checked bag is allowed still on United. Regarding IAH, United will look at Washington IAD first, however if AI starts DFW or IAH then United may look into IAH.

Thanks a ton for correcting me, somehow i feel like that EWR flights are not always full. How many bags were allowed on the premium economy? Do you think AI will start dallas or houston first? Can their dreamliners fly that far?

highvoltageeee

Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 am

Hi All,
Has anyone recently travelled from SFO to India. Which airlines are available to fly from SFO to india for a nUS citizen? In between i had seen somewhere online that we cannot travel through some of the airlines like british airways and qatar airways and emirates, is it true that we have to travel directly from USA to india and layovers in between?

hohd

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:51 pm

highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi All,
Has anyone recently travelled from SFO to India. Which airlines are available to fly from SFO to india for a nUS citizen? In between i had seen somewhere online that we cannot travel through some of the airlines like british airways and qatar airways and emirates, is it true that we have to travel directly from USA to india and layovers in between?

You can fly Air India or United non stop from SFO to DEL (Daily) or SFO to BLR (twice weekly - Air India). Better to go nonstop and avoid layovers or connections for now. There are restrictions for travel from/to Middle East or Europe and it keeps changing. However you need to get a negative RT PCR Covid test within 72 hours of departure for travel to India. And India is not allowing anyone who intend to visit India on tourism purposes for now.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:32 pm

highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi All,

Are you OCI? If you are OCI you can take any available route, though connecting options are very limited to none. Indian testing and quarantine rules can change any time, even en route.
All posts are just opinions.

VTORD

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:48 pm

highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi All,

I think by nUS you mean "non-US citizen"? Check out www.newdelhiairport.in/covid19 for all the rules based on your final destination state. I used it for my M-in-L and she was fine. But she is an Indian citizen who was returning to as pointed out earlier tourism might not cut it.

highvoltageeee

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:46 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi All,

Are you OCI? If you are OCI you can take any available route, though connecting options are very limited to none. Indian testing and quarantine rules can change any time, even en route.

No sir, i am not. I have to take an emergency visa. Understood better to take a direct connection.

SQ22
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:48 pm

May I kindly ask you to continue personal travel related topics in a dedicated thread in Travel, Polls & Preferences Forum thanks.

highvoltageeee

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:05 pm

hohd wrote:
highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi All,

You can fly Air India or United non stop from SFO to DEL (Daily) or SFO to BLR (twice weekly - Air India). Better to go nonstop and avoid layovers or connections for now. There are restrictions for travel from/to Middle East or Europe and it keeps changing. However you need to get a negative RT PCR Covid test within 72 hours of departure for travel to India. And India is not allowing anyone who intend to visit India on tourism purposes for now.

Understood, thanks a ton for the information. Yes looks like non stop is the best option. I have to apply for an emergency visa in order to get in.

highvoltageeee

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi Folks,
Does anyone about this airline?

https://twitter.com/_flyPOP/status/1357 ... 70528?s=20

Is this some kind of ponzi scheme? I dont see any fleet owned by them.

FligtReporter

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:25 am

Hello fellow Avgeeks,

I hope all of you are doing well and are in the best of your health.So nice to be back after long time.Actually Im here to share my recent CAT IIIB experience at my own home base LKO.

I was flying from Mumbai to Lucknow on IndiGo Airbus A321NX and luckily it were CAT IIIB conditions at LKO.I have to say it was all foggy below as we hovered at 11,000 FT because we were put on 4 holding patterns before we could finally land in and during the circuits I could see a few building tops poping out of thick fog cover and as we approached the airport I felt the fog dispersed however,as we got really close to the airport I noticed a sudden thick blanket of fog engulfed the aircraft so thick that I couldnt even see the sharklet of the birdie for sometime but I have to say the auto pilot made a smooth landing. Also on this flight the Captain was Niharika Bhasin whose brother,Father and Mother are all Aviators.

I asked the crew after landing to ask the captain if it was a CAT IIIB landing and she was nice to confirm it to me that indeed it was.

My home base had gotten the CAT IIIB back in 2015 I believe and since then It was my dream to once land using such facility and serendipitously I got to experience this year.I have to say it was such a wonderful experience and so unique one where after talking to a pilot I know and people who work at the Airport, I found the answers of the special taxing procedures that this flight carried out.

I now know that it requires pilots to follow special SOPs to land during the CAT IIIB and my home base has, ( As of Feb 2021), just one taxiway equipped with CAT IIIB lighting system and Parking bays 11 - 14 with the same thats why I was a little unmoored with the fact that pilots used the whole runway just to turn 180º at the turnpad and exit through C where they could have exited through C even at the initial landing run as the AC had slowed down enough for them to comfortably vacate the RWY...which ofcorse later I learnt the reasons for why they did what they did.

Lastly,I just wanna mention it is by far the best experience for me in my many years of flying..I will forever remember this flight,The Crew,The Aircraft and my Seat No...Now Im planning to book a leisure flights every December or Jan between Lko - del - lko just to experience the Magic of CAT IIIB and I would strongly recommend all of you to,at least once in your lifetime,experience this wonder of aviation to feel how magical and surreal it is.

Love you all !
Take care.

sand26391

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:19 am

highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi Folks,

Could be. Have never heard of them until now, heard about them back in 2015 or so. No idea if they plan to lease A330s or some similar Aircraft. Not sure if the airline will ever take-off though....

AirIndia

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:37 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Hello fellow Avgeeks,

I hope all of you are doing well and are in the best of your health.So nice to be back after long time.Actually Im here to share my recent CAT IIIB experience at my own home base LKO.

I was flying from Mumbai to Lucknow on IndiGo Airbus A321NX and luckily it were CAT IIIB conditions at LKO.I have to say it was all foggy below as we hovered at 11,000 FT because we were put on 4 holding patterns before we could finally land in and during the circuits I could see a few building tops poping out of thick fog cover and as we approached the airport I felt the fog dispersed however,as we got really close to the airport I noticed a sudden thick blanket of fog engulfed the aircraft so thick that I couldnt even see the sharklet of the birdie for sometime but I have to say the auto pilot made a smooth landing. Also on this flight the Captain was Niharika Bhasin whose brother,Father and Mother are all Aviators.

I asked the crew after landing to ask the captain if it was a CAT IIIB landing and she was nice to confirm it to me that indeed it was.

My home base had gotten the CAT IIIB back in 2015 I believe and since then It was my dream to once land using such facility and serendipitously I got to experience this year.I have to say it was such a wonderful experience and so unique one where after talking to a pilot I know and people who work at the Airport, I found the answers of the special taxing procedures that this flight carried out.

I now know that it requires pilots to follow special SOPs to land during the CAT IIIB and my home base has, ( As of Feb 2021), just one taxiway equipped with CAT IIIB lighting system and Parking bays 11 - 14 with the same thats why I was a little unmoored with the fact that pilots used the whole runway just to turn 180º at the turnpad and exit through C where they could have exited through C even at the initial landing run as the AC had slowed down enough for them to comfortably vacate the RWY...which ofcorse later I learnt the reasons for why they did what they did.

Lastly,I just wanna mention it is by far the best experience for me in my many years of flying..I will forever remember this flight,The Crew,The Aircraft and my Seat No...Now Im planning to book a leisure flights every December or Jan between Lko - del - lko just to experience the Magic of CAT IIIB and I would strongly recommend all of you to,at least once in your lifetime,experience this wonder of aviation to feel how magical and surreal it is.

Love you all !
Take care.

Thanks for sharing. I agree CAT IIIB landings are thrilling for us avgeeks (not very exciting for most others on board). I have experienced it in DEL and DXB multiple times, additionaly CAT II in SEA. As a matter of fact today DXB visibility was down to 150m.

FligtReporter

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:53 am

AirIndia wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Hello fellow Avgeeks,

Love you all !
Take care.

Thanks for sharing. I agree CAT IIIB landings are thrilling for us avgeeks (not very exciting for most others on board). I have experienced it in DEL and DXB multiple times, additionaly CAT II in SEA. As a matter of fact today DXB visibility was down to 150m.

Nice to know bruh..Indeed the best day of my life and It has become like an achievement to me to have experienced it hahaha..I was informed,of my CAT IIIB RVR was just 46-50 Meters I also have a video of that too and photos of it as well.
I'd love to share it with you however I don't know how to on this website..can you guide me how can share it here ?

Its something I'd love to share with fellow avgeeks also to flaint may be lolz

oldJoe

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:57 am

sand26391 wrote:
highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi Folks,

Could be. Have never heard of them until now, heard about them back in 2015 or so. No idea if they plan to lease A330s or some similar Aircraft. Not sure if the airline will ever take-off though....

According to their website they will fly with A330`s

source :
https://www.flypop.com/23/167/aircraft

Remains to be seen if Fl (yp) op will ever be succesful

AirIndia

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:25 am

FligtReporter wrote:

Nice to know bruh..Indeed the best day of my life and It has become like an achievement to me to have experienced it hahaha..I was informed,of my CAT IIIB RVR was just 46-50 Meters I also have a video of that too and photos of it as well.
I'd love to share it with you however I don't know how to on this website..can you guide me how can share it here ?

Why dont you post it as a trip report in the trip reports section. it allows you to upload images and even post YT links.

FligtReporter

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:42 am

AirIndia wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Why dont you post it as a trip report in the trip reports section. it allows you to upload images and even post YT links.

Oh really so I'd be able to Post pictures as well ? like straight from my Gallery ? or would I have to upload them on a third party platform and then get it linked with my Post ?

If I could get all my photos and videos posted in Trip Report section I'd do that.

AirIndia

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:16 am

FligtReporter wrote:
AirIndia wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Oh really so I'd be able to Post pictures as well ? like straight from my Gallery ? or would I have to upload them on a third party platform and then get it linked with my Post ?

If I could get all my photos and videos posted in Trip Report section I'd do that.

Hi. Ok ill be honest its been a while since i made a TR. @collegeaviator memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=705039 should be able to guide you. He's among the best.

FligtReporter

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:43 am

AirIndia wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

Hi. Ok ill be honest its been a while since i made a TR. @collegeaviator memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=705039 should be able to guide you. He's among the best.

I guess I should let up the idea lolz...It would be too much of work I reckon, besides I'm busy editing my videos and getting done with the projects of my job etc so I guess It's enough I shared it here thats it.Though if you ever feel like watching it I will PM you the link !

Thanks a lot for your help though bro...I appreciate it !

SQ22
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:10 am

Please keep this tjread on topic, thanks.

FligtReporter

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:32 pm

hohd wrote:
TEMPO wrote:
Indian media report Bangalore Airport as Cat IIIB compliant as of December 31st. As a passenger who has had to sit in immobile aircraft in BLR for as long as 4 hours on foggy mornings, I note my appreciation!

>>Quote
... flights can land [on 9R/27L] with a Runway Visual Range (RVR) as low as 50m and take-off at 125m. KIA is the only airport in South India and the sixth in the country to get the CAT IIIB runway ...
>>

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/south ... 33644.html

BOM is not CAT IIIB compliant ? DEL, LKO, Chandigarh, Jaipur and CCU are CAT IIIB compliant along with BLR now. I often see poor visibility in BOM due to rains and cloud cover. And they should make Kozhikode compliant too after the deadly accident last year and might as well make HYD, COK and MAA too.

First of all,Lemme make a correction that IXC aka CHANDIGARH IS NOT CAT IIIB EQUIPPED AIRPORT I think you meant ATQ so as of now,Feb 2021,its only LKO,DEL,ATQ,JAI,CCU,BLR which are equipped with ILS CAT IIIB and as someone who recently experienced the magic of CAT IIIB at my own homebase (LKO) and having researched about this amazing and most advanced landing system in use as of today..I can tell you with 100% surety that CCJ most likely will never have this ILS system unless they build a newer airport there, because for the CAT IIIB the approach lighting system itself is about 900 meters in length and CCJ has no land at neither ends of its runways.

hohd

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:04 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/i ... 49.article

Indigo is on the march again. While its rivals in India are slowing ramping up ops, Indigo is also taking over secondary city markets. With a market share of nearly 55% and climbing, Indian airline industry will be dominated by the single airline. I don't think Tata's various airlines will be able to make any dent in Indigo's market share.

I don't understand why AI is not increasing domestic ops now, they hardly have any flights, internationally AI is doing ok.

avier

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:44 pm

hohd wrote:
https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/indigo-eyes-opportunities-on-indian-regional-routes/142449.article

Indigo is on the march again. While its rivals in India are slowing ramping up ops, Indigo is also taking over secondary city markets. With a market share of nearly 55% and climbing, Indian airline industry will be dominated by the single airline. I don't think Tata's various airlines will be able to make any dent in Indigo's market share.

I don't understand why AI is not increasing domestic ops now, they hardly have any flights, internationally AI is doing ok.

Basically, even if every other Indian airline (apart from 6E) merged together, they still combined would be smaller than 6E. :D
I blame airlines like GoAir & Spice for not being formidable competitors, despite having started around the same time. Especially GoAir, they were in slumber for most of their lifetime and awoke more recently.

Also, idk what TATA's keep dreaming of when they say they'll merge their airlines along with AI to challenge 6E, like thats even going to have any major impact on the market leader.

x1234

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:48 pm

How is Indigos routes to IST and DXB going? I know people who are real cheap and take Indigo to IST/DXB and then take a EU LCC into Europe.

hohd

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:38 pm

x1234 wrote:
How is Indigos routes to IST and DXB going? I know people who are real cheap and take Indigo to IST/DXB and then take a EU LCC into Europe.

With the pandemic they have been restricted on the IST route. DXB should be doing ok given that it is mostly O&D, however with the pandemic the traffic may be reduced.

Taking a EU LCC is complicated, there are always visa issues, baggage issues and now there are Covid testing issues, don't think many would do this, may be a few European backpackers.

Regarding AI domestic ops, they had 4 to 5 flights a day for example on BOM-HYD route, while Indigo had about 10 to 12 flights pre-COVID, now during this pandemic (albiet it is now slowly ending), AI has one single flight 5 times a week while Indigo has about 8 flights a day. Due to the liberal baggage allowance on AI, I usually take AI mostly, but with this limited service it is becoming difficult.

zionite

Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:19 am

My home RAJ is getting connected to India now.

SpiceJet:
DEL - SG 643/644 - Daily - B737
BOM - SG 947/948 - Daily - B737
BLR - SG 882/883 - Daily (Starting 24 Feb 2021) - B737
HYD - Announced today starting 01 March 2021. Will be Q400

Air India:
DEL - AI 403/404 - Daily - A319
BOM - AI 655/656 - Daily now (was 3x weekly) - A319

Indigo:
Indigo had announced it will be starting 4 flights a day to BOM & DEL from 01 May 2021. Recently announced that it will start 4 flights a day from 28 March 2021 instead of 01 May 2021.

Having a short runway, there were limitations on aircraft types it could handle. Till 2020, airport had parking bay for only one jet aircraft and a smaller one suitable for a turboprop. Last year the smaller one was enlarged to now accommodate 2 jet aircraft.

It is/was not viable for Indigo, GoAir, Vistara or Air Asia to schedule their A320 with limitations. Indigo and SpiceJet did not schedule any turboprop flights also. Hence it was one of the least served and most affected airport in India post 9W collapse and then by COVID.

If everything goes well, RAJ will will have 10 flights a day this summer. At peak, we used to have 5 daily flights to BOM (4 by S2/9W on B737 and 1 by AI by A319) and 3x weekly flight to DEL (by 9I/AI on AT72).

Spicejet's BLR and HYD flights are reactions to Indigo's announcements.

Don't see much progress on ground at the new greenfield airport.

FligtReporter

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:14 pm

zionite wrote:

SpiceJet:

Air India:

Indigo:
Indigo had announced it will be starting 4 flights a day to BOM & DEL from 01 May 2021. Recently announced that it will start 4 flights a day from 28 March 2021 instead of 01 May 2021.

Having a short runway, there were limitations on aircraft types it could handle. Till 2020, airport had parking bay for only one jet aircraft and a smaller one suitable for a turboprop. Last year the smaller one was enlarged to now accommodate 2 jet aircraft.

It is/was not viable for Indigo, GoAir, Vistara or Air Asia to schedule their A320 with limitations. Indigo and SpiceJet did not schedule any turboprop flights also. Hence it was one of the least served and most affected airport in India post 9W collapse and then by COVID.

If everything goes well, RAJ will will have 10 flights a day this summer. At peak, we used to have 5 daily flights to BOM (4 by S2/9W on B737 and 1 by AI by A319) and 3x weekly flight to DEL (by 9I/AI on AT72).

First of all Congrats from LKO !

Second I just looked up at the RAJ runway length and its even shorter than PAT which is one of the other airports with really short runways that has A320s and 737s operating there...Im guessing they would operate 737-700s in boeing category but I believe its gona be hard landings for ppl coming at RAJ !

I dont see much space for RWY extension either except for the Eastern end where across the road there is a 600ish Meter long patch of ground where the RWY could be extended and it could further be around 2.5 or 2.6 KMs but dunno if it belongs to AAI or not....but yeah I did see a new tarmac under constuction so thats good development but unless they extend the RWY its not gona help much,however,Happy for RAJ !!

Greetings from LKO

zionite

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 am

FligtReporter wrote:
zionite wrote:

SpiceJet:

Air India:

Indigo:

Second I just looked up at the RAJ runway length and its even shorter than PAT which is one of the other airports with really short runways that has A320s and 737s operating there...Im guessing they would operate 737-700s in boeing category but I believe its gona be hard landings for ppl coming at RAJ !

I dont see much space for RWY extension either except for the Eastern end where across the road there is a 600ish Meter long patch of ground where the RWY could be extended and it could further be around 2.5 or 2.6 KMs but dunno if it belongs to AAI or not....but yeah I did see a new tarmac under constuction so thats good development but unless they extend the RWY its not gona help much,however,Happy for RAJ !!

Greetings from LKO

The runway is fit for A319 and B737-700. In summer, even these aircraft have limitations and have to keep few seats empty. There are limitations on cargo also which drives up the average seat prices. 9W used to send their B737-800 only when a cricket team is flying to the city for a cricket match.

On eastern end, the area is owned by Indian Railways. The highway can be diverted but then it will have to cut through IOCL Depot also. Both IR and IOCL are not willing to cooperate.

So have a new greenfield airport under construction approx 30 km of the city - but not sure if it would be ready in 3 years.

FligtReporter

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:13 am

zionite wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
zionite wrote:

SpiceJet:

Air India:

Indigo:

Greetings from LKO

The runway is fit for A319 and B737-700. In summer, even these aircraft have limitations and have to keep few seats empty. There are limitations on cargo also which drives up the average seat prices. 9W used to send their B737-800 only when a cricket team is flying to the city for a cricket match.

On eastern end, the area is owned by Indian Railways. The highway can be diverted but then it will have to cut through IOCL Depot also. Both IR and IOCL are not willing to cooperate.

So have a new greenfield airport under construction approx 30 km of the city - but not sure if it would be ready in 3 years.

Thanks for elaborating on that...I feel RAJ fellas are gonna stuck with this airport for about 3 or so years..Its a good news though that at least there are new flights commencing ops.

hohd

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/fly ... 64742.html

I don't know if this has been posted here, but here are the new rules flying to India from Feb 22 until further notice. These rules reinforce using nonstops from US/Canada to India and avoid as much as possible transiting via UK, Middle East and Europe. Transiting via UK, Middle East and Europe requires an extra step of Covid testing at Indian airports.

Atleast may be one more month of limited 1 stop competition for Air India, United and AC. Although flying via Asia appears to be allowed with the same rules as non-stops.

pune

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:32 pm

highvoltageeee wrote:
Hi Folks,

I actually came here to ask the same question -

Although did see this which does seem that it does have some funds from the UK Govt. -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiH3mpxyrQ

However, as shared in the video itself, the others funders are not clear so we don't know, have to wait, watch and see.

pune

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:34 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Hello fellow Avgeeks,

Love you all !
Take care.

Beautifully shared. If not for the pandemic, would surely have been trying to figure out to fly somewhere. I do not know but Pune-Leh if such a flight is possible in near future is possible, would be cool. It would cater to lot of the leisure market but would take time till everybody or majority doesn't get vaccinated.

pune

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:54 pm

zionite wrote:

Congratulations from Pune. Had to look up Raj on IATA to find out it's Rajkot. Gujarat. What I am confused by is your statement twice, is there land given for the greenfield airport and construction is yet to start or what. I know my own city it has been what a decade and more since we have been struggling to get land to have and also have connectivity to and fro airport as that is a big pain point for any airport. Even if we look at big airports, for e.g. IST airport, even they made sure to have a metro link so people can use it.

https://istanbeautiful.com/new-istanbul ... line-info/

So I do hope that you guys do that and have that.

FligtReporter

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:55 pm

pune wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Hello fellow Avgeeks,

Love you all !
Take care.

Beautifully shared. If not for the pandemic, would surely have been trying to figure out to fly somewhere. I do not know but Pune-Leh if such a flight is possible in near future is possible, would be cool. It would cater to lot of the leisure market but would take time till everybody or majority doesn't get vaccinated.

Thanks ! I think Pune needs to get a new airport soon..I mean my home base is literally a BASE for IndiGo lolz and at the moment we have parking for 14 aircrafts including 2 747 types and there is new tarmac area being built too which after completion would enable us to handle 22 aircrafts all together and IndiGo caters to the highest number of destination from here and I feel for PNQ to get such variety of flights they would need some good parking space where pilots and crew can be based at.

Few years from now I neeve imagined pilots and crew living In LKO but now I know many pilots who are based in LKO and fly out in the morning and come back at night..we usually have about 6 IndiGo 320s parked overnight here.

I think PNQ has huge potential but it just lacks the infrastructure.

FligtReporter

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:02 pm

pune wrote:
zionite wrote:

Congratulations from Pune. Had to look up Raj on IATA to find out it's Rajkot. Gujarat. What I am confused by is your statement twice, is there land given for the greenfield airport and construction is yet to start or what. I know my own city it has been what a decade and more since we have been struggling to get land to have and also have connectivity to and fro airport as that is a big pain point for any airport. Even if we look at big airports, for e.g. IST airport, even they made sure to have a metro link so people can use it.

https://istanbeautiful.com/new-istanbul ... line-info/

I agree Metro connectivity is a must to all airports..I'm glad my home base is connected with a metro..But I guess not all Indian airports are connected I can think of Delhi,Chennai and my base ..may be CCU don't know for sure..I'm sure BLR and HYD are not connected for sure which I think is a huge disappointment and should be connected asap !

Oh and also not sure about your base MrPNQ...any gov plans to connect it with Metro anytime soon ?

pune

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:48 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
I agree Metro connectivity is a must to all airports..I'm glad my home base is connected with a metro..But I guess not all Indian airports are connected I can think of Delhi,Chennai and my base ..may be CCU don't know for sure..I'm sure BLR and HYD are not connected for sure which I think is a huge disappointment and should be connected asap !

Oh and also not sure about your base MrPNQ...any gov plans to connect it with Metro anytime soon ?

I would like to be corrected, the last time I had been to Delhi there was no direct connectivity in the airport. The last time I went was in 2019. You have the stop at Delhi Aerocity from which you need to take the bus to the terminal. Mumbai is supposed to have one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_3_(Mumbai_Metro)

The other one which I know which has a metro right up the airport is kochi airport but I haven't had a chance to use it. The last time I was in Kochi was in 2018 and was steered around by people both on the way in and back. The Kochi Metro would probably expand and needs to expand as much as Delhi Metro if it wants to as ubiquitous as the Delhi one is. I think the Delhi metro is the gold standard which other cities having metro should pine for. Mumbai may soon though give a run for its money even though Delhi has a 20 year old headstart.

Anyways, enough of rambling for now. Almost all new and old airport do need these metros to make travel easier, lighter etc.

As far as the question of Pune is concerned, no chance at least for next few years. The problems are mani-fold. First, the airport itself is half military and half-civilian, so nobody including air force people would want more commercialization. Also if people have looked at the PNQ airport it is located very weirdly. There had been no planning done at all but then this was not supposed to be a civilian airport. Also the recent recarpeting work had many hassles for the flying public.

That recarpeting work had started in April 2020 and till December 2020 was not completed. Why, I have no clue.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 034641.cms

So, if they can't do that, then asking them to pay for a station or two would be going overboard. There are suggestions from citizen groups to have a metro extension all the way to Pune Airport. You would want to have 24x7 services as many cheap domestic flights come at red-eye times, around 0200 or 0300 hrs.

Demands from citizens and politicians for extensions of the same -

https://www.thebridgechronicle.com/pune ... ease-46712

FligtReporter

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:58 am

pune wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

I would like to be corrected, the last time I had been to Delhi there was no direct connectivity in the airport. The last time I went was in 2019. You have the stop at Delhi Aerocity from which you need to take the bus to the terminal. Mumbai is supposed to have one.

The other one which I know which has a metro right up the airport is kochi airport but I haven't had a chance to use it. The last time I was in Kochi was in 2018 and was steered around by people both on the way in and back. The Kochi Metro would probably expand and needs to expand as much as Delhi Metro if it wants to as ubiquitous as the Delhi one is. I think the Delhi metro is the gold standard which other cities having metro should pine for. Mumbai may soon though give a run for its money even though Delhi has a 20 year old headstart.

Anyways, enough of rambling for now. Almost all new and old airport do need these metros to make travel easier, lighter etc.

As far as the question of Pune is concerned, no chance at least for next few years. The problems are mani-fold. First, the airport itself is half military and half-civilian, so nobody including air force people would want more commercialization. Also if people have looked at the PNQ airport it is located very weirdly. There had been no planning done at all but then this was not supposed to be a civilian airport. Also the recent recarpeting work had many hassles for the flying public.

That recarpeting work had started in April 2020 and till December 2020 was not completed. Why, I have no clue.

So, if they can't do that, then asking them to pay for a station or two would be going overboard. There are suggestions from citizen groups to have a metro extension all the way to Pune Airport. You would want to have 24x7 services as many cheap domestic flights come at red-eye times, around 0200 or 0300 hrs.

Yeah sad state of affairs for PNQ...I guess the only answer to all thr problems of PNQ is a new airport.

FligtReporter

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:40 am

pune wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

I was just looking at PNQ's Google earth and I guess there's some new terminal work going on right next to the old one right ?

Also the tarmac area seems to be unexpandable given its Military controlled and with this size it can never accomodate a widebody like like 330 etc let alone a 747.I also measured the RWY size and it appears to be around 2.5 KMs of it to be usable as of now and see some fresh construction work at the other end of the RWY thats towards to the terminal side.

I mean with this mess PNQ mag never be able to get a widebody or become a major airport..PNQ appears to be like the PAT of West India...in the north PAT is one of the major traffic sourced airport which is plagued with restricted RWY length and lack of space to furthering its expansion..but the difference is that at least its a Civil aerodrome whereas PNQ is a military owned one.

But one thing is common between the two and that is NEW AIRPORT IS THE ONLY ANSWER for further development...unless both these cities get new airports they will continue to be far away from the best of aviation world.My heart goes out for PNQ based avgeeks..I hope the gov pays more attention to PNQ rather than considering it a sidekick of BOM.

pune

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:24 pm

Sadly agree with your views. You shouldn't have bothered trying to figure out the runway length. There was a time when Pune has straight Lufthansa flights to Germany but didn't get either people or whatever. It is like talking to dunderheads here. God knows when the situation will improve. There have been many false starts for 'the new airport' and each time it is the politicians who made the money due to real estate rumors. There has been a new proposal making the rounds but you never know.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/ne ... r-BB1dEAY0

FligtReporter

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:38 pm

pune wrote:
Sadly agree with your views. You shouldn't have bothered trying to figure out the runway length. There was a time when Pune has straight Lufthansa flights to Germany but didn't get either people or whatever. It is like talking to dunderheads here. God knows when the situation will improve. There have been many false starts for 'the new airport' and each time it is the politicians who made the money due to real estate rumors. There has been a new proposal making the rounds but you never know.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/ne ... r-BB1dEAY0

It is indeed sad Mr Pune...I know of that 737-700 Lufthansa flight,was one of the longest on that type aircraft I believe but I guess the proximity to BOM is proving to be a curse in further development of PNQ...the politicians are paying more attention to BOM or neglecting PNQ cause there's no "URGENCY" or dire need of an airport just a few hundred KMs away from one of the biggest airports in the country.

I honestly don't see the new PNQ airport taking shape at least for the next 5-9 Years..with the kind of treatment its getting from the authorities and given they have already started building new terminal etc it means they already had plans to keep the operations in the current airport for the next 5 something years thats why all the construction...If they really had firm intentions to make a new airport they wouldn't waste their money on constructing a new terminal or tarmac at the current one...it means the new airport is gona be a distant dream for at least 5 - 9 years.

pune

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:15 pm

FligtReporter wrote:

It is indeed sad Mr Pune...I know of that 737-700 Lufthansa flight,was one of the longest on that type aircraft I believe but I guess the proximity to BOM is proving to be a curse in further development of PNQ...the politicians are paying more attention to BOM or neglecting PNQ cause there's no "URGENCY" or dire need of an airport just a few hundred KMs away from one of the biggest airports in the country.

I honestly don't see the new PNQ airport taking shape at least for the next 5-9 Years..with the kind of treatment its getting from the authorities and given they have already started building new terminal etc it means they already had plans to keep the operations in the current airport for the next 5 something years thats why all the construction...If they really had firm intentions to make a new airport they wouldn't waste their money on constructing a new terminal or tarmac at the current one...it means the new airport is gona be a distant dream for at least 5 - 9 years.

Absolutely. Even the food options especially for night are none in Airport. Every time I have been there, at the most you get coffee or/and wada pav but that's it. And this is when Pune had robust growth in passenger. So if you can have passengers without any growth of amenities, then why do it. I think that is the philosophy at work there.

FligtReporter

Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:39 pm

pune wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Absolutely. Even the food options especially for night are none in Airport. Every time I have been there, at the most you get coffee or/and wada pav but that's it. And this is when Pune had robust growth in passenger. So if you can have passengers without any growth of amenities, then why do it. I think that is the philosophy at work there.

PNQ is indeed a sad story and I don't know for some reason I don't feel optimistic about its future growth..I feel Puneites have already accepted that their home base is nothing but a sidekick to BOM and for flights to Singapore,USA,EU etc they just need to take a train or short bus to BOM and thats it...probably thats why no one is making any noise or the citizens themselves aren't taking it seriously.

Sad state of affairs...PNQ may never see a widebody touching its runway ever :(

zionite

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:52 pm

pune wrote:
Congratulations from Pune. Had to look up Raj on IATA to find out it's Rajkot. Gujarat. What I am confused by is your statement twice, is there land given for the greenfield airport and construction is yet to start or what.

Yes. The land is already marked. Majority of the land is wasteland owned by the government. Most of the balance land is already acquired.

The tender was initially awarded to Reliance Infrastructure. Later it was cancelled and awarded to Dilip Buildcon in October 2019. It is supposed to be completed in 30 months.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/markets/dilip-buildcon-adds-3-on-bagging-contract-for-rajkot-s-greenfield-airport-119110100268_1.html
https://www.financialexpress.com/infrastructure/airlines-aviation/rajkot-greenfield-airport-why-hirasar-in-gujarat-is-set-to-get-a-new-airport-details-here/1507866/

pune wrote:

We're still a small city to have a metro or even light metro. The airport will be connected to 6 lane Rajkot-Ahmedabad National Highway.

sand26391

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm

IndiGo had loaded Rajkot into its system for bookings for flights wef 28 March. Flights to DEL BOM BLR HYD.

FligtReporter

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:37 pm

sand26391 wrote:
IndiGo had loaded Rajkot into its system for bookings for flights wef 28 March. Flights to DEL BOM BLR HYD.

I presume they would use ATR 72s onthese sectors...though they can use a 320 but that would be too hot for its brakes.

pune

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:37 pm

zionite wrote:
pune wrote:
Congratulations from Pune. Had to look up Raj on IATA to find out it's Rajkot. Gujarat. What I am confused by is your statement twice, is there land given for the greenfield airport and construction is yet to start or what.

Yes. The land is already marked. Majority of the land is wasteland owned by the government. Most of the balance land is already acquired.

The tender was initially awarded to Reliance Infrastructure. Later it was cancelled and awarded to Dilip Buildcon in October 2019. It is supposed to be completed in 30 months.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/markets/dilip-buildcon-adds-3-on-bagging-contract-for-rajkot-s-greenfield-airport-119110100268_1.html
https://www.financialexpress.com/infrastructure/airlines-aviation/rajkot-greenfield-airport-why-hirasar-in-gujarat-is-set-to-get-a-new-airport-details-here/1507866/

pune wrote:

We're still a small city to have a metro or even light metro. The airport will be connected to 6 lane Rajkot-Ahmedabad National Highway.

If possible, share some pictures so we know the state of things happening there, if it is possible. Usually avgeeks get permissions easier than others, although in India, we still don't have much. I was seeing few years back, some videos on YT where they showed how in the west, there are actual viewports for avgeeks who can come and see what all flights are taking off, it is sort of non-aeroautical revenue for the airport as well as well as a source of knowledge for airports as well.

zionite

Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:22 am

FligtReporter wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

I presume they would use ATR 72s onthese sectors...though they can use a 320 but that would be too hot for its brakes.

BLR is on A320.
DEL, BOM, HYD is on ATR.72.

FligtReporter

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 am

zionite wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

BLR is on A320.
DEL, BOM, HYD is on ATR.72.

Oh I was expecting them to put 320 on DEL route but whatever floats their boat...Best of luck from LKO !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos