Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:13 am

SWADawg wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Now that WN has entered MIA and done very well, I think we will see WN make a land grab like they did in DEN. I would expect WN to grab every available gate they can in MIA and grow the operation to over 100 flights a day in the not too distant future.

No, that’s not how MIA works. It is a common use facility. Airlines don’t have gate leases whatsoever.

Interesting. I didn’t know that.

There more likely to take all of Colorado Springs over since they already said they would do that but Miami will grow for sure

MAH4546

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am

SWADawg wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Now that WN has entered MIA and done very well, I think we will see WN make a land grab like they did in DEN. I would expect WN to grab every available gate they can in MIA and grow the operation to over 100 flights a day in the not too distant future.

No, that’s not how MIA works. It is a common use facility. Airlines don’t have gate leases whatsoever.

Interesting. I didn’t know that.

Not even AA has gate leases at MIA. While of course airlines tend to use the same gates, and there is a hierarchy for usage, it's impossible for an airline to hog gates.
a.

alpine1989

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:52 am

barney captain wrote:
alpine1989 wrote:
The ETOPS qualified flight crews are based in LAS, LAX and OAK as previously discussed. It’s not likely WN would create an ETOPS base in BWI just to support a few flights to KEF. There would need to be more growth opportunities to support an east coast ETOPS base.

Alpine

As stated above, etops isn't required for KEF.

Class II Nav is required. Another qualification that only ETOPS pilots have at SWA.

barney captain

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:23 am

alpine1989 wrote:
barney captain wrote:
alpine1989 wrote:
The ETOPS qualified flight crews are based in LAS, LAX and OAK as previously discussed. It’s not likely WN would create an ETOPS base in BWI just to support a few flights to KEF. There would need to be more growth opportunities to support an east coast ETOPS base.

Alpine

Class II Nav is required. Another qualification that only ETOPS pilots have at SWA.

Incorrect. Class II ops have been trained system wide.
Southeast Of Disorder

Atlwarrior

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:28 am

How about some love for Myrtle Beach. Southwest announces 6 nonstop flights from Myrtle Beach. The flights are long overdue, and expect some of them to become more than seasonal, which the area explosive growth.

https://www.wbtw.com/news/grand-strand/ ... -7-cities/

OAHU747

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 am

DEN-RIC was announced and no response from jplatts?
My posts and opinions are mine only and are not from or representative of Southwest Airlines.

AC4500

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm

OAHU747 wrote:

Lol. :lol:

tomaheath

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

AC4500 wrote:
OAHU747 wrote:

Lol. :lol:

What happened to them? Haven’t noticed a post in a while.

wnflyguy

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Well the Iceland Rumbling is sounding like it's more of JetBlue than WN this morning.
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

krod031

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well the Iceland Rumbling is sounding like it's more of JetBlue than WN this morning.
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

The reliable sources have struck again!

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:19 pm

OAHU747 wrote:

OMG.... Where did he go? DEN-RIC was his route!
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

wnflyguy

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:38 pm

krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

But April 1 schedule release for summer time flying speculation has a few more predictions.
COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Jshank83

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

But April 1 schedule release for summer time flying speculation has a few more predictions.
COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

Didn’t BNa-RIC run (or was schedule to run) last summer?
Last edited by Jshank83 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AC4500

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:20 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

ROC-MDW, ISP-MIA, FAT-PHX, and SJU-MIA are the only ones that I can see being announced. There's just no way that all of those Hawaii routes are getting announced. Maybe LGB-KOA and HNL-ONT, but that's probably it IMO.

Those on the Nashville thread have predicted BNA-PDX on April 1 (which was supposed to fly in summer 2020) along with an announcement to DAB.

ericm2031

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:37 pm

WN is hiring in both HNL and OGG, I’m guessing this is for some additional flying that has been said to be coming.

alpine1989

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:43 pm

barney captain wrote:
alpine1989 wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Incorrect. Class II ops have been trained system wide.

Maybe we are mincing words here. All pilots were trained during/after the AirTran merger. They stopped training it around 2017/18 and the qualification expired. Only ETOPS qualified pilots are Class II Nav qualified at Southwest.

Alpine

Wneast

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:48 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

ROC-MDW, ISP-MIA, FAT-PHX, and SJU-MIA are the only ones that I can see being announced. There's just no way that all of those Hawaii routes are getting announced. Maybe LGB-KOA and HNL-ONT, but that's probably it IMO.

Those on the Nashville thread have predicted BNA-PDX on April 1 (which was supposed to fly in summer 2020) along with an announcement to DAB.

I think it’s a big if they have enough planes to fly to Hawaii and there etops certification on how much they announce to Hawaii

evank516

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

WN doing BWI/BNA-DAB would probably do well. Both would feed DAB rather adequately. Only issue I’m hearing from DAB is gate space now. Yeah, I never thought I’d see the day either.

Have to wonder if ISP-MDW is also set for a comeback. They just announced a resurrection of ISP-BNA.

FlyPNS1

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:01 pm

evank516 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

WN doing BWI/BNA-DAB would probably do well. Both would feed DAB rather adequately. Only issue I’m hearing from DAB is gate space now. Yeah, I never thought I’d see the day either.

Have to wonder if ISP-MDW is also set for a comeback. They just announced a resurrection of ISP-BNA.

How could DAB have a gate issue? Don’t they have six gates and even now at Spring Break they only peak around 12 departures.

FLLspotter747

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:35 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

How could DAB have a gate issue? Don’t they have six gates and even now at Spring Break they only peak around 12 departures.

As a DAB spotter, I can confirm that gate space is NOT an issue. We joke around 24/7 that its a good day when you have 2 gates occupied at the same time.

But yes I definitely see WN giving a crack at DAB, especially with their latest trend on opening service at smaller/secondary airports.

WNflyer1523

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:56 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

I'd love to see those routes from ISP! Just curious, are those routes you could see added or are you hearing somewhere that they're likely? (You don't have to give specifics)

BMAirbusFan320

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:24 pm

FLLspotter747 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

As a DAB spotter, I can confirm that gate space is NOT an issue. We joke around 24/7 that its a good day when you have 2 gates occupied at the same time.

But yes I definitely see WN giving a crack at DAB, especially with their latest trend on opening service at smaller/secondary airports.

As another DAB spotter, there are no issues with gate space. There is some space where they can use a remote gate, and if they were intersted they could renovate the international terminal. However, there is a run-up area used by some of the flight schools that is relatively close to terminal which could potentially cause some issues.

evank516

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:41 pm

BMAirbusFan320 wrote:
FLLspotter747 wrote:
FlyPNS1 wrote:

As another DAB spotter, there are no issues with gate space. There is some space where they can use a remote gate, and if they were intersted they could renovate the international terminal. However, there is a run-up area used by some of the flight schools that is relatively close to terminal which could potentially cause some issues.

I didn’t think so either, it’s just what I heard.

4&6 are DL, 3&5 are AA, 2 is CUTE and I guess 1 is totally free. My theory would be WN taking 1 and using 2 for any extra RON overflow.

9lflyguy

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:48 pm

I really wish we could get them at XNA. That's a big business center they have yet to serve. I keep getting my hopes up every time I see them post a new city.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

Wneast

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

Is it possible for them to add that much Hawaii unless they get etops on the max 8 by the schedule release and does anyone see them adding the other islands from SAN haven’t heard about there in awhile ?

southwest1675

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:19 pm

9lflyguy wrote:
I really wish we could get them at XNA. That's a big business center they have yet to serve. I keep getting my hopes up every time I see them post a new city.

XNA-DAL/MDW/MCO/BNA sounds nice.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

OKCDCA

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

Four more stations for COS would certainly be interesting. Fits what WN has said about a quick expansion though. Gates at COS will certainly be at a premium unless the east concourse gets reopened. I’d think WN will want gate 10 which AA currently uses. Not sure AA will give it up unless they get a sweet deal because gate 6 is basically a closet with a jet bridge...

Wneast

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

Four more stations for COS would certainly be interesting. Fits what WN has said about a quick expansion though. Gates at COS will certainly be at a premium unless the east concourse gets reopened. I’d think WN will want gate 10 which AA currently uses. Not sure AA will give it up unless they get a sweet deal because gate 6 is basically a closet with a jet bridge...

I think they said they could get up to six gates before they reopen the east concourse with five gates but southwest did say they could take all the gates at the airport which would mean room for tons of more adds

WaywardMemphian

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:34 am

southwest1675 wrote:
9lflyguy wrote:

XNA-DAL/MDW/MCO/BNA sounds nice.

DEN before MCO, both would be great if only MCO on Saturday only for a start

TUL, ICT and LIT all fly to STL over MDW. MDW would be unique to the market.

Before Covid XNA/BNA was up to 3x in the summer. So there's some demand there. Locals would be happy if Southwest offered BNA and G4 moved .on to XNA /TYS. Just food for thought.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:55 am

wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Whomp whomp.

Flyguy

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

How strong are the rumors of them adding those Hawaii destinations and routes on Thursday?

Jshank83

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 am

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
krod031 wrote:

Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

How strong are the rumors of them adding those Hawaii destinations and routes on Thursday?

Probably about 2% higher than the chances of them adding Iceland.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Sadly true hahaha.

COS-LAX/BWI/BNA/HOU
LGB-KOA/BWI
RIC-BNA/MCO
ROC-MDW
ISP-MIA/DEN
FAT-PHX
HNL-ONT/LAS/PHX
OGG-LAS/PHX
KOA-LGB/LAS/PHX
SJU-MIA
MJT-LAS
HDN-LAS

Flyguy

So low well I don’t think the can add Las Vegas and PHX without the etops max 8 and I don’t think certification is coming by Thursday they would wait tell it’s certified right to announce ?

Jshank83

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:38 am

Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

So low well I don’t think the can add Las Vegas and PHX without the etops max 8 and I don’t think certification is coming by Thursday they would wait tell it’s certified right to announce ?

Guess it depends on how close it is. If they have a good idea on date they could announce before.

That said the amount of people who have any real insight besides rumors on here as to what will be added is about zero. Most people who actually know anything aren’t going to be putting it on here. So I would take a my route speculation with a grain of salt. Some may be right, most will be wrong.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:41 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Guess it depends on how close it is. If they have a good idea on date they could announce before.

That said the amount of people who have any real insight besides rumors on here as to what will be added is about zero. Most people who actually know anything aren’t going to be putting it on here. So I would take a my route speculation with a grain of salt. Some may be right, most will be wrong.

We shall see on Thursday and your right the people that know for sure about the Hawaii adds would not confirm it on here

Flflyer83

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:48 am

Application for HAV-MIA authorities returned/abandoned by other carriers over the last year.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:48 am

Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

We shall see on Thursday and your right the people that know for sure about the Hawaii adds would not confirm it on here
I think it at least has to be close even if it’s not Thursday because they are hiring more people in HNL and OGG so that might single to them adding those flights very soon

wnflyguy

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 am

It's definitely been a rumor filled weekend on what could be coming with the April 1 summer schedule release.
Lots of speculation about MAX8 Etops certification being a quicker process than the original certification since WN is currently operating daily 737 ETOPS flights. It just a matter of adding a different 737 model to the certification. So many industry people think WN has a lot of confidence that there will not be any problem with getting certification on the MAX8 Etops before June 1. So to help celebrate its 50th birthday anniversary month it will be announcing a huge expansion of Hawaii flying starting not all at once but over June,July and Aug.

EUG started date and schedule will be released.

With the increase of competition across the entire system WN going to unground all it's remaining stored aircraft and add a lot of point to point flying back for the summer schedule.
So sounds like No more additional unannounced new cities for 2021.
In addition it also sounds like they may call back a majority of employees on long term covid relief leave programs
Returning to work by June 1.

Hopefully it's the end of the Covid Roller coaster.

Flyguy

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:57 am

wnflyguy wrote:
It's definitely been a rumor filled weekend on what could be coming with the April 1 summer schedule release.
Lots of speculation about MAX8 Etops certification being a quicker process than the original certification since WN is currently operating daily 737 ETOPS flights. It just a matter of adding a different 737 model to the certification. So many industry people think WN has a lot of confidence that there will not be any problem with getting certification on the MAX8 Etops before June 1. So to help celebrate its 50th birthday anniversary month it will be announcing a huge expansion of Hawaii flying starting not all at once but over June,July and Aug.

With the increase of competition across the entire system WN going to unground all it's remaining stored aircraft and add a lot of point to point flying back for the summer schedule.
In addition it also sounds like they may call back a majority of employees on long term covid relief leave programs

Flyguy

So instead we will start to see more flights added to the new cities and to existing flights after EUG and Bellingham get added ?

MAH4546

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:14 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
Application for HAV-MIA authorities returned/abandoned by other carriers over the last year.

Has this been filed? It makes sense but WN itself abandoned FLLHAV, so I assume just moving those frequencies to Miami (which it does need to apply to do).
a.

airplaneboy

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

If the increase in bookings continues to trend in the right direction, WN stands to benefit greatly. As the pioneer of the original point to point model post-deregulation — as well as having the greatest brand recognition nationwide (and being the number 1 or number 2 carrier in the majority of the top 60 O&D markets), WN tends to have the most success in point to point services. According to Planespotters, they have just over 100 jets that are parked — not including a large number of MAX 8 jets due for delivery in the coming years. They are well positioned for “growth” and a quick realignment of their network in terms of capacity and existing airport real estate/gates.

Having a point to point network versus a true hub and spoke model has served them well during the pandemic. Despite having to eliminate some point to point services dragged down by the decline in business travel, they’ve been successful at being nimble and rerouting demand via their larger focus cities that favor connections (or “ICOs” as they call it — also known as intentional connection opportunities). And with the recent spike in travel demand, it looks like some of the discontinued pre-Covid point to point markets (and potentially new ones) might materialize this year.

av8tiongeek

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:30 am

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... -737-max-7

Southwest Airlines Adds 100 Firm Orders For The Boeing 737 MAX 7

737max8

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pm

I definitely think more Hawaii makes sense this Summer. Once again Hawaii flights are killing it. Especially now that I am back in service!

Still LOLing at the Iceland comments
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:37 pm

How many max 8 are they etops certification airplanes will there be for Hawaii flying ?

wnflyguy

Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm

So my Hawaii source sent me this and said said an announcement could be coming this afternoon 15:00 Herb 10:00 Hawaiian.

Good morning, everybody, and thanks for calling the Employee Newsline. This is Gary Kelly, on Monday, March 29. Well, as we continue to mark significant dates from our history throughout our 50th year, I’ve got a few to call out today. Fifty years ago today, our name changed from Air Southwest Co. to Southwest Airlines Co. And, our original Ops Leaders were hired—Dick Elliot, Jack Vidal, Donald Ogden, and Bill Franklin. They were affectionately known as the “Over the Hill Gang” based on the many years of experience that they brought with them from careers at other airlines.

And last but not least, 50 years ago today, we reached an agreement with Boeing for our first three airplanes, which we used to commence operations. So, March 29, 1971, was a big day in our history, and certainly in our relationship with Boeing. It’s only fitting, then, that today, 50 years later, we’ve got exciting news to share. You know we relaunched the MAX 8 on March 11. And following that positive news, you’ll be very pleased to know we have now completed our discussions with Boeing regarding our long-term order book. We’re extending our order book out through 2031. But, perhaps most exciting, we have completed our multi-year evaluation of the successor aircraft to the great 737-700. I’m very pleased to share that we have affirmed our selection of the MAX 7 aircraft with the addition of 100 firm orders, along with the first 30 scheduled to be delivered in 2022. So, the MAX 7 will be a cost-effective aircraft for us with 150 seats. It will be key for modernizing the fleet and replacing the 737-700s, and also for growth opportunities, as they arise. So, for 2021 through 2031, we now have 200 firm orders for the MAX 7; 149 firm orders for the MAX 8; and 270 options for either one. So, we reinforce our commitment to the MAX and our all-Boeing fleet, and this was our preference all along. But, as the MAX 8 is the best aircraft in the 175-seat class, we needed to make sure the MAX 7 is the best aircraft in its 150 seat class. We are very comfortable that it is. We’ll preserve the cost advantages of our single aircraft operation. The MAX is also more fuel-efficient and more climate-friendly, so all-around a great deal for Southwest, for you all, and for the next decade in terms of this new order book. If you haven’t seen Chief Operating Officer Mike Van de Ven’s SWALife post, be sure to take a look at that and our press release for all the details.

So, this in and of itself is big news. But in addition to this news on our fleet, be sure to keep an eye on SWALife this afternoon for another fun announcement on this significant day in our history. You won’t want to miss it!

So I hope you all saw our Myrtle Beach announcement, which came with some exciting new service details for Austin this summer. It’s always fun to reiterate our commitment to a city, and especially in the heart of our home state of Texas. And we’re doing just that with nonstop service from Austin to a record 37 cities. That’s more than double the offering of any other carrier in Austin, and it’s a great way to continue to build on our nearly 45 years of service to our Customers there.

Now next, I want to applaud the Teams that have given our Customers departing our California gateways bound nonstop for both Honolulu and Kahului an opportunity to ‘Pre-Clear’ arrival into the State of Hawaii. This is under the state’s safe travels program. In the past couple of weeks of testing and rolling out the program, Ground Ops Employees have pre-cleared nearly 4,000 Customers whose test results and travel profiles were correctly completed before their flight. That allows a quicker exit from the airport on arrival in Hawaii. We’re now emailing Customers whose trips are eligible for this extra service and, overall, Southwest Airlines now offers more than 50 flights a day that touch Hawaii!

Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:04 pm

** March 29, 1971 Air Southwest changed its name to Southwest Airlines Co.

I wouldn't get too excited yet.

AC4500

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:05 pm

Wneast wrote:
So instead we will start to see more flights added to the new cities and to existing flights after EUG and Bellingham get added ?

Here are my predictions for BLI/EUG:

BLI:
- 1x daily LAS
- 1x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX

EUG:
- 2x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX
- 1x daily LAS

This may be over the top, especially for EUG, as I'm a bit biased as an Oregonian myself. Maybe some of those routes will end up being Saturday-only. Hopefully we'll see what they have planned on April 1st.

AC4500

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:07 pm

737max8 wrote:
I definitely think more Hawaii makes sense this Summer. Once again Hawaii flights are killing it. Especially now that I am back in service!

Still LOLing at the Iceland comments

I wonder if Hawaii routes will be launched from locations that aren't necessarily focus cities. Still waiting on PDX-Hawaii from WN.

wnflyguy

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:51 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Here are my predictions for BLI/EUG:

BLI:
- 1x daily LAS
- 1x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX

EUG:
- 2x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX
- 1x daily LAS

This may be over the top, especially for EUG, as I'm a bit biased as an Oregonian myself. Maybe some of those routes will end up being Saturday-only. Hopefully we'll see what they have planned on April 1st.

I think BLI will be 2 LAS, 1 DEN and 1 OAK.
Because there focuses on Vancouver passengers I wouldn't be surprised if 1 HNL would be in the future plans.

EUG I see 2 OAK, 2 LAS and 1 DEN.

Flyguy

Cboyle

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:08 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
So my Hawaii source sent me this and said said an announcement could be coming this afternoon 15:00 Herb 10:00 Hawaiian.

Good morning, everybody, and thanks for calling the Employee Newsline. This is Gary Kelly, on Monday, March 29. Well, as we continue to mark significant dates from our history throughout our 50th year, I’ve got a few to call out today. Fifty years ago today, our name changed from Air Southwest Co. to Southwest Airlines Co. And, our original Ops Leaders were hired—Dick Elliot, Jack Vidal, Donald Ogden, and Bill Franklin. They were affectionately known as the “Over the Hill Gang” based on the many years of experience that they brought with them from careers at other airlines.

And last but not least, 50 years ago today, we reached an agreement with Boeing for our first three airplanes, which we used to commence operations. So, March 29, 1971, was a big day in our history, and certainly in our relationship with Boeing. It’s only fitting, then, that today, 50 years later, we’ve got exciting news to share. You know we relaunched the MAX 8 on March 11. And following that positive news, you’ll be very pleased to know we have now completed our discussions with Boeing regarding our long-term order book. We’re extending our order book out through 2031. But, perhaps most exciting, we have completed our multi-year evaluation of the successor aircraft to the great 737-700. I’m very pleased to share that we have affirmed our selection of the MAX 7 aircraft with the addition of 100 firm orders, along with the first 30 scheduled to be delivered in 2022. So, the MAX 7 will be a cost-effective aircraft for us with 150 seats. It will be key for modernizing the fleet and replacing the 737-700s, and also for growth opportunities, as they arise. So, for 2021 through 2031, we now have 200 firm orders for the MAX 7; 149 firm orders for the MAX 8; and 270 options for either one. So, we reinforce our commitment to the MAX and our all-Boeing fleet, and this was our preference all along. But, as the MAX 8 is the best aircraft in the 175-seat class, we needed to make sure the MAX 7 is the best aircraft in its 150 seat class. We are very comfortable that it is. We’ll preserve the cost advantages of our single aircraft operation. The MAX is also more fuel-efficient and more climate-friendly, so all-around a great deal for Southwest, for you all, and for the next decade in terms of this new order book. If you haven’t seen Chief Operating Officer Mike Van de Ven’s SWALife post, be sure to take a look at that and our press release for all the details.

So, this in and of itself is big news. But in addition to this news on our fleet, be sure to keep an eye on SWALife this afternoon for another fun announcement on this significant day in our history. You won’t want to miss it!

So I hope you all saw our Myrtle Beach announcement, which came with some exciting new service details for Austin this summer. It’s always fun to reiterate our commitment to a city, and especially in the heart of our home state of Texas. And we’re doing just that with nonstop service from Austin to a record 37 cities. That’s more than double the offering of any other carrier in Austin, and it’s a great way to continue to build on our nearly 45 years of service to our Customers there.

Now next, I want to applaud the Teams that have given our Customers departing our California gateways bound nonstop for both Honolulu and Kahului an opportunity to ‘Pre-Clear’ arrival into the State of Hawaii. This is under the state’s safe travels program. In the past couple of weeks of testing and rolling out the program, Ground Ops Employees have pre-cleared nearly 4,000 Customers whose test results and travel profiles were correctly completed before their flight. That allows a quicker exit from the airport on arrival in Hawaii. We’re now emailing Customers whose trips are eligible for this extra service and, overall, Southwest Airlines now offers more than 50 flights a day that touch Hawaii!

Flyguy

what is the announcement?

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:12 pm

Cboyle wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

what is the announcement?

I think that is three Texas time

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos