Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Where do you find the extension most of the time?

Just wait for them to load on their site. I don’t know what flyguy is looking at because southwest.com isn’t updated yet.

av8tiongeek

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 pm

thanks

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Where do you find the extension most of the time?

My OAG subscription works great 98% of the time allowing me to quickly piece together a daily flight schedule. I will back reference with Google flights and Southwest.com(when it works).
Flyguy

SteveXC500

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:17 pm

Now open on southwest.com. However, as wnflyguy said, it's literally a regurgitation of what was already open through mid August.

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:18 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Now open on southwest.com. However, as wnflyguy said, it's literally a regurgitation of what was already open through mid August.

So are we not going to see anything or we should or there’s some pending releases ?

SteveXC500

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

So are we not going to see anything or we should or there’s some pending releases ?

It means they basically did a copy/paste of what was already available through August and just pushed the same to Nov 5. Same flight numbers, same flight times. Now, that may not be true in 100% of the cases, but that's what I've found on a few I have checked so far.

Release?? No idea. WN usually does that later in the day.

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:28 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

It means they basically did a copy/paste of what was already available through August and just pushed the same to Nov 5. Same flight numbers, same flight times. Now, that may not be true in 100% of the cases, but that's what I've found on a few I have checked so far.

Hopefully there is something coming because I feel like they wouldn’t leave us hanging with nothing ? Maybe a press release will be later if see anything

SWADawg

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Hopefully there is something coming because I feel like they wouldn’t leave us hanging with nothing ? Maybe a press release will be later if see anything

Calm down man, you’re going to have a nervous breakdown. They will publish something when there’s something to publish. They may be waiting until later today to make a really big release of routes or it may be a big nothing burger. Either is a possibility. Go read a good book and check back later today. There will either be something new to report or there won’t be.
Last edited by SWADawg on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jshank83

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:41 pm

well that was a big let down. lol. No wonder they moved it up 2 weeks if they were just extending the current one.

Ishrion

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:45 pm

Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

They just announced 30 routes a week ago. No need to immediately add more even with a schedule extension.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Well they have left us hanging before so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Maybe they are waiting on the MAX8 Etops certification. Also the CDC new advisory urging people to go back to essential travel only with a up tick in new covid cases could have caused WN to hold off potential additional capacity for another month. AW has said it's easier to add capacity VS last minute schedule reduction and customer rebooking.

House wins this round of What will Covid schedules bring this week in the world of What next.

Flyguy

dbo861

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm

This is the fall extension which is a pretty slow travel season. And like @ishrion, they just announced a bunch of new routes. Why do people always assume these schedule extensions are going to be cosmic?

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:00 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Maybe they are waiting on the MAX8 Etops certification. Also the CDC new advisory urging people to go back to essential travel only with a up tick in new covid cases could have caused WN to hold off potential additional capacity for another month. AW has said it's easier to add capacity VS last minute schedule reduction and customer rebooking.

House wins this round of What will Covid schedules bring this week in the world of What next.

Flyguy

What’s interesting is they moved it from April 22 to today which if they were waiting for etops by that date they could have just kept that schedule extension we shall wait and see

Midwestindy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:12 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Flyguy

CDC hasn't changed its stance at all, and besides that wouldn't impact their schedule/capacity 6 months from now

As long as you are releasing schedules well in advance (like this would be), it's makes more sense to add capacity, and it can be removed 1-2 months ahead of time if it is underperforming. This is what every other airline does, since it is much more risky to add capacity last minute since you don't have much of a booking window to fill the flight.

dbo861 wrote:
This is the fall extension which is a pretty slow travel season. And like @ishrion, they just announced a bunch of new routes. Why do people always assume these schedule extensions are going to be cosmic?

October is not slow season, but yes sometimes schedule extensions have few, if any routes.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:14 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Flyguy

What’s interesting is they moved it from April 22 to today which if they were waiting for etops by that date they could have just kept that schedule extension we shall wait and see

As Ishrion stated above they did announce 30 new flights a week ago. With the future leisure bookings trending back up to Pre Pandemic levels maybe WN sees the value of releasing more inventory since leisure passengers tend to book farther in advance when deciding to heading on vacations or special events. The Old WN was very gun shy afraid of competition retaliation on hit business flights so it kept inventory close in.

But I've gone back all the way to the May additions several cities daily flight schedules don't match up with schedule arrival and departure times.

RIC is one good example of a lot of wasted aircraft time. Gives me a lot of thought that more is to come for the city.

Or it's a good April fools joke on the industry speculation nerds like myself.

Flyguy

SteveXC500

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

As Ishrion stated above they did announce 30 new flights a week ago. With the future leisure bookings trending back up to Pre Pandemic levels maybe WN sees the value of releasing more inventory since leisure passengers tend to book farther in advance when deciding to heading on vacations or special events. The Old WN was very gun shy afraid of competition retaliation on hit business flights so it kept inventory close in.

But I've gone back all the way to the May additions several cities daily flight schedules don't match up with schedule arrival and departure times.

RIC is one good example of a lot of wasted aircraft time. Gives me a lot of thought that more is to come for the city.

Flyguy

Could you share some specifics on the gaps in RIC?

Jshank83

Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:47 pm

dbo861 wrote:

Because schedule extensions is when new routes normally are added for WN. This adding them in between has been a new thing. I am not sure I ever remember one that didn't have new routes before today.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Flyguy

Well I don't know if something is happening or what but I can't pull up any inventory on WN via multiple web pages??

Flyguy

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:19 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Well I don't know if something is happening or what but I can't pull up any inventory on WN via multiple web pages??

Flyguy

Maybe that’s good news, but we probably aren’t getting anything today but all the weird stuff going is for sure interesting what they might be doing

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Flyguy

Do you think it could do with not wanting to announce things on April’s fools it’s stretch but they haven’t announced EUG schedule and they are planning to start that late summer ?

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:59 pm

I reached out to WN NP and got a quick response.
"Southwest Tech Ops is transitioning to their new "Maintenix" system this month.
With that tasks forthcoming and Future booking trends surpassing pre pandemic levels the decision was made move up and open the available inventory from April 1 to November 6. This will lessen the work load for Southwest's IT department.
We're fighting for every dollar and Americans are ready to travel again. With this being a heavy leisure travel environment customers are booking vacations well in advance than ever before.
So As you are aware one of GK main goals for 2021 it to stop the daily cash burn and achieve break even and or profitability.
As Tech Ops goes through their transition the schedules and aircraft will be adjusted accordingly.
We have some exciting plans plus more opportunities for the MAX8 and Southwest's 50th anniversary so stay tuned.
Aloha NP. "

Flyguy

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:05 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
"Southwest Tech Ops is transitioning to their new "Maintenix" system this month.
With that tasks forthcoming and Future booking trends surpassing pre pandemic levels the decision was made move up and open the available inventory from April 1 to November 6. This will lessen the work load for Southwest's IT department.
We're fighting for every dollar and Americans are ready to travel again. With this being a heavy leisure travel environment customers are booking vacations well in advance than ever before.
So As you are aware one of GK main goals for 2021 it to stop the daily cash burn and achieve break even and or profitability.
As Tech Ops goes through their transition the schedules and aircraft will be adjusted accordingly.
We have some exciting plans plus more opportunities for the MAX8 and Southwest's 50th anniversary so stay tuned.
Aloha NP. "

Flyguy

So you think they rumored date of April 22 for Hawaii expansion is happening because that sounds like they plan to share expansion soon on Hawaii ?

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:26 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Flyguy

So I asked WN NP about the schedule gaps in places like RIC.
Their response was "An aircraft sitting around in a outstation being used in a working schedule is better than sitting mothballed not producing any revenue. Also these few idle aircraft times like situations like RIC give us ample opportunity to add extra flying should our new RIC service become profitable."

Flyguy

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Aloha NP. "

Flyguy

Also another source said the transition scheduled got revised with the MAX8 switching systems first instead of being scheduled last.

Flyguy

AC4500

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks for the insight, wnflyguy.

It's still a bit odd to see no routes announced in a schedule update, but nonetheless it sounds like WN has some interesting plans in store for the future...
Personally, I'm hoping to see more Hawaii adds and an announcement to Alaska in the near future. Fingers crossed, as they say... :spin:

sprxUSA

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:22 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Flyguy

Do you think it could do with not wanting to announce things on April’s fools it’s stretch but they haven’t announced EUG schedule and they are planning to start that late summer ?

EUG is stated to start "2nd half of 2021". So they could put that off until Christmas time if they want.

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Thanks for the insight, wnflyguy.

It's still a bit odd to see no routes announced in a schedule update, but nonetheless it sounds like WN has some interesting plans in store for the future...
Personally, I'm hoping to see more Hawaii adds and an announcement to Alaska in the near future. Fingers crossed, as they say... :spin:

It’s sounds like what they told wnflyguy could be happening this month the way they make sound fingers crossed for a big Hawaii expansion and entrance into Alaska, I know it’s just guessing but what could we see in that announcement about the Hawaii opportunities bigger amount of routes and cities then the initial launch ?

av8tiongeek

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm

Since WN announced service to Hawaii during a spirit party in 2017, we can only hope they have bigger news for their 50th.

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 pm

Wnflyguy you got any thoughts on the Hawaii expansion, I know you keep saying for there 50th isn’t that through the rest of the year

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:02 pm

[quote="av8tiongeek"]Since WN announced service to Hawaii during a spirit party in 2017, we can only hope they have bigger news for their 50th.

[/Upcoming Events
DATE Thursday, April 22, 2021 12:30pm ET
TITLE
Q1 2021 Southwest Airlines Financial Results Conference Call.

Hopefully this will produce additional announcements of new service, destinations or even better return to profitability.

Also taking with other WN nerds sounds like the MAX8 ETOPS proving flights are tentatively planned for the 2nd week of April.

Flyguy

TerminalD

Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Since WN announced service to Hawaii during a spirit party in 2017, we can only hope they have bigger news for their 50th.

[/Upcoming Events
TITLE

Hopefully this will produce additional announcements of new service, destinations or even better return to profitability.

Also taking with other WN nerds sounds like the MAX8 ETOPS proving flights are tentatively planned for the 2nd week of April.

Flyguy

I don't think earnings call usually have new station announcements.

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:02 pm

TerminalD wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

[/Upcoming Events
TITLE

Flyguy

I don't think earnings call usually have new station announcements.

I know that last one in January did

Silver1SWA

Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 pm

Why is it assumed announcing expanded Hawaii service will coincide with some special date or occasion? I think we can all agree there’s probably more to come but there’s a few details that need to be in order first.

Wneast

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
Why is it assumed announcing expanded Hawaii service will coincide with some special date or occasion? I think we can all agree there’s probably more to come but there’s a few details that need to be in order first.

Yeah that date people think because that day they are supposed get etops which is what there waiting for on the max 8 and according to wnflyguy they won’t wait to announce once they get etops, it’s coming they are hiring tons of people for the expanded routes

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 pm

So apparently yesterday WN NOC posted on Instagram 2 pictures of dispatched MAX8 ETOPS flights that were supposed to be proving Runs from BWI to KEF and DUB as a April fools joke.
The leaked proposed flight schedule was apparently part of NP joining in on the prank.

Touché
Flyguy

DaCubbyBearBar

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:14 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well this is out of left field but sources saying WN is currently reviewing it's first outdoor adventurous new international destination in this post Covid environment from BWI.
ICE ICE Baby! ICELAND.
737MAX8
BWI-KEF
11:30-22:30
KEF-BWI
12:00-15:00.

While I don't see this happening at all.
Iceland air was WN first international codeshare partners many many years ago.
Would WN use this environment to rekindle the codeshare and would these speculated flight times connect to Iceland Airs lucrative European markets?

Seeing what WN has added so far I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was actually true.
Iceland has successfully launched on opening up with well planned post Covid international protocols making it a ideal vacation destination.
I know some will say they haven't returned to many international destinations they currently have Like SJO and LIR which it true.
But Iceland also isn't a 3ed world type Leisure destinations struggled with covid problems and protocols. So I guess never say never?
Thoughts?

Flyguy

So did they steal your idea for a hoax.... you were 5 days ahead of April Fools when you called KEF as a destination

Jshank83

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:56 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Well this is out of left field but sources saying WN is currently reviewing it's first outdoor adventurous new international destination in this post Covid environment from BWI.
ICE ICE Baby! ICELAND.
737MAX8
BWI-KEF
11:30-22:30
KEF-BWI
12:00-15:00.

While I don't see this happening at all.
Iceland air was WN first international codeshare partners many many years ago.
Would WN use this environment to rekindle the codeshare and would these speculated flight times connect to Iceland Airs lucrative European markets?

Seeing what WN has added so far I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was actually true.
Iceland has successfully launched on opening up with well planned post Covid international protocols making it a ideal vacation destination.
I know some will say they haven't returned to many international destinations they currently have Like SJO and LIR which it true.
But Iceland also isn't a 3ed world type Leisure destinations struggled with covid problems and protocols. So I guess never say never?
Thoughts?

Flyguy

So did they steal your idea for a hoax.... you were 5 days ahead of April Fools when you called KEF as a destination

The details for the April fools came out early. And he got got prior to the actual prank.

NJFlyer27

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:06 am

Does anyone know if the LGA-BWI flights have been axed?

I know it’s a short flight, but the connection possibilities in BWI are great

tphuang

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:10 am

NJFlyer27 wrote:

How many new yorkers are looking to connect at bwi when they can get anywhere from its own airports. Flights like that are doomed to fail.

NJFlyer27

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:19 am

tphuang wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

How many new yorkers are looking to connect at bwi when they can get anywhere from its own airports. Flights like that are doomed to fail.

Yes, I’m sure there is a portion of New Yorkers that will not want to connect. However, LGA is also a big inbound destination across its networks. LGA is simply not used just for New Yorkers flying Southwest.

If Southwest can successfully operate smaller connecting routes like GRR to MDW, GSP to ATL, ISP to BWI, than I’m sure LGA would work as well.

pmanni1

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 am

NJFlyer27 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

Yes, I’m sure there is a portion of New Yorkers that will not want to connect. However, LGA is also a big inbound destination across its networks. LGA is simply not used just for New Yorkers flying Southwest.

If Southwest can successfully operate smaller connecting routes like GRR to MDW, GSP to ATL, ISP to BWI, than I’m sure LGA would work as well.

Looks like BWI is coming back in June. WN only has a limited number of slots at LGA so they're only flying to other WN hubs where they can maximize connections.

wnflyguy

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:39 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Looks like BWI is coming back in June. WN only has a limited number of slots at LGA so they're only flying to other WN hubs where they can maximize connections.

The latest schedule extension has 3 daily LGA-BWI flights until November 6.

Flyguy

MIflyer12

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm

NJFlyer27 wrote:

You missed tphuang's point: people don't need to connect to get to LGA (or more broadly NYC). The NYC airports typically have n/s service to 200+ destinations. LGA isn't GRR or ISP!

NYC to Baltimore O&D would just take one of the ~20 Amtrak trains a day.

evank516

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Looks like the resumption of LGA-MCI was delayed. Was supposed to come back in May now I see it in June.

NJFlyer27

Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:17 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

The latest schedule extension has 3 daily LGA-BWI flights until November 6.

Flyguy

Good to know, thanks! Looks like flights start on June 6.

jplatts

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-boosts-florida-utah-rotues/?utm_content=131F3C80-7AE0-11EB-8813-70CA96E8478F&utm_campaign=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=Editorial&fbclid=IwAR35naNBE28ccFFWu7AMATMt7GQgjV52HRUZTLnVO5y-JYlTwX3SsfDP6yA

Finally MDW-RIC Flyguy

hooforce wrote:
Finally, SWA is expanding in Richmond (RIC)! Great News!

WN should have added MDW-RIC nonstop service 8 years ago as RIC had stronger demand from Chicago in Q2 2012 than some of the cities that gained WN nonstop service out of MDW in 2012 and 2013 such as DSM, MEM, ROC, TUL, and ICT. WN had dropped MDW-DSM/ROC/TUL/ICT nonstop service 5 years ago, but still has nonstop service to MEM from MDW.

I had also previously mentioned RIC also had stronger demand from Chicago in 2019 than some other cities such as ALB, ABQ, BHM, SDF, OKC, and TUS that already have nonstop service out of MDW on WN.

There are also connecting opportunities at MDW to some destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from ATL.

jplatts

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:28 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

You missed tphuang's point: people don't need to connect to get to LGA (or more broadly NYC). The NYC airports typically have n/s service to 200+ destinations. LGA isn't GRR or ISP!

NYC to Baltimore O&D would just take one of the ~20 Amtrak trains a day.

I have previously mentioned that WN had some O&D traffic on its BWI-LGA nonstop flights back in 2012. There are also more connecting opportunities at BWI on WN than was the case in 2012 with WN having added BWI-CLT/ORD/CVG/VPS/GRR/MEM/MIA/MSP/MYR/ECP/PNS/SMF/SRQ/SAV.

ytib

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

Anyone who wants to travel beyond perimeter and depart from LGA needs to connect.

tphuang

Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 pm

ytib wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
NJFlyer27 wrote:

Anyone who wants to travel beyond perimeter and depart from LGA needs to connect.

those people can easily fly out of EWR or JFK. People aren't going to connect unless WN undercuts in pricing. WN has little loyalty in NY area. People will pick DL/UA connection options out of NYC ahead of WN connection options.

LGA-BWI is a slot squatting tactic until demand out of LGA comes back.

Jshank83

Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:11 pm

tphuang wrote:
ytib wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

WN has little loyalty in NY area. .

I’d argue a majority of WN traffic in NYC isn’t for New Yorkers it’s for all the WN loyalists everywhere else going to NYC.