Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:49 pm

Does anyone think southwest will add more from BUR in defense of the new airline Avelo entering or do they even have room to grow that much more there ?

Ishrion

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:07 pm

Wneast wrote:
Does anyone think southwest will add more from BUR in defense of the new airline Avelo entering or do they even have room to grow that much more there ?

They could, but is it really necessary?

Of the 11 destinations Avelo announced from Burbank today, Southwest only serves (will serve) two, which is Bozeman and Eugene. There's technically Phoenix as well, but Avelo has chosen Mesa instead of Sky Harbor.

Avelo is currently focused on targeting unserved routes so they won't compete head-on with Southwest. We may see Southwest increase their PHX-BUR flights but not open stations just to target Avelo. I'd be surprised of Southwest added BUR-EUG/BZN in response. For now, Avelo isn't exactly an immediate threat to Southwest.

WN732

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:53 am

BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before in this thread -- if so please point me to the answer.

WN has been retrofitting scimitars to their 700 fleet quite rapidly lately based on my observations of aircraft imagery on FlightRadar24. Has there been a formal plan around this decision? Is WN planning on retrofitting all aircraft? I have noticed however that they are opting out of updating the strobes on the winglets. Would love to know more about what WN's strategy is with these retrofits. Thanks!

Strobes seem to be hit or miss because I've noticed many blended winglets with the pulsing lights as well. I don't know what the deal is with that.

Chemist

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:08 am

Would like to see WN add BUR-HNL and/or OGG.

Wneast

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:13 am

Chemist wrote:

I’m sure those will be added Idk though can they do it with max 8 or do they have to wait for the seven because of the runway at BUR ?

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:13 am

Chemist wrote:

According to MAX8 performance statistics it shouldn't have a problem operating ETOPS flights without any payload restrictions to Hawaii from BUR.
SNA on the other hand is about 800 feet too short but could easily do an Etops mission but would take sizable payload restrictions.
The MAX7 Etops will eliminate that restriction.

According to sources once ETOPS certification flights wrap up next week. We will see the announcement of additional cities like BUR-HNL/OGG, ONT-HNL/OGG,PHX-HNL/OGG and LAS-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA/ITO.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

ibthebigd

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:44 am

I just hope if/when PHX and LAS get added Southwest can find a way to time Connections for Cities like IND SDF BNA CVG ect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:54 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Chemist wrote:

According to MAX8 performance statistics it shouldn't have a problem operating ETOPS flights without any payload restrictions to Hawaii from BUR.
SNA on the other hand is about 800 feet too short but could easily do an Etops mission but would take sizable payload restrictions.

According to sources once ETOPS certification flights wrap up next week. We will see the announcement of additional cities like BUR-HNL/OGG, ONT-HNL/OGG,PHX-HNL/OGG and LAS-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA/ITO.

Flyguy

But you just said the MAX7 has to do BUR and they are not coming until 2022. Why would they announce flights so early? Look at poor SAN who had their nonstop to HNL delayed by MONTHS and their OGG flat out cancelled. Is WN getting additional gates in OGG and HNL? Have the LGB-LIH/KOA been delayed?
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

av8tiongeek

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:02 pm

SWA has removed 30 of their 58 737 Max 8 due to this issue.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL4N2M22R6

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:50 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Flyguy

But you just said the MAX7 has to do BUR and they are not coming until 2022. Why would they announce flights so early? Look at poor SAN who had their nonstop to HNL delayed by MONTHS and their OGG flat out cancelled. Is WN getting additional gates in OGG and HNL? Have the LGB-LIH/KOA been delayed?

I thought the MAX8 couldn't do BUR-Hawaii but have since otherwise been informed that It isn't a problem.
SNA unfortunately has limitations.
SAN-LIH/OGG/KOA were put on hold because of the Pandemic and the travel restrictions varied between each Island. During this depressed environment it just made more since to service HNL and offer connections from their to the other islands until everything turns around.
You will most definitely see SAN add KOA,LIH and OGG once the MAX8 Etops certification is approved.
Right now the NG8 Etops takes a 15 to 20 seat weight restriction hit going westbound. The MAX8 eliminates those restrictions plus makes it possible for WN to And lucrative cargo in that market also.

OGG is also like HNL thanks to the pandemic fallout it too has gate space available to increase flights.
WN uses around 2 gates for most of the day before the pandemic anyway.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
I just hope if/when PHX and LAS get added Southwest can find a way to time Connections for Cities like IND SDF BNA CVG ect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unfortunately unless WN finally decides to launch Red Eyes from Hawaii I don't think you will see many connections east of the Mississippi from LAS or PHX because of the arrival times into both cities with WN focusing on day time flights only.

But honestly unless you have a ton of rapid rewards to use and or WN offers a huge discount on connections via LAS or PHX to Hawaii. DL,AA and UA offer a much better convenient schedule to Hawaii from their mega Hubs.
Once and IF WN starts MAX7 Etops to DEN will it give it much better connections East of the Rockies assuming their finally doing Red Eyes by then.
Flyguy

OAHU747

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:14 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Right now the NG8 Etops takes a 15 to 20 seat weight restriction hit going westbound Flyguy

Not true. They have been departing westbound with full loads both recently and before the pandemic, with freight too.
My posts and opinions are mine only and are not from or representative of Southwest Airlines.

OAHU747

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:23 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
OGG is also like HNL thanks to the pandemic fallout it too has gate space available to increase flights.

Flyguy

What additional gates are currently available for WN to add flights in HNL?
My posts and opinions are mine only and are not from or representative of Southwest Airlines.

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm

OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Right now the NG8 Etops takes a 15 to 20 seat weight restriction hit going westbound Flyguy

Not true. They have been departing westbound with full loads both recently and before the pandemic, with freight too.

I did not know this that is Good to hear. Original they said the NG8 was going to have a seat capacity cap for weight going westbound. I bought tickets the first week WN started OAK-HNL service and they capped the load at 160 for the flight because of weight restrictions.

Flyguy

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:49 pm

OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

From what I've been told from my HNL station peeps. In the short term thanks to covid causing a lack of international flights WN has successfully secured mid morning and mid afternoon time slots for additional flights on other gates. Once Hawaiian airlines new terminal opens up WN will be able to increase its daily gate capacity to 6 total. 4 hard stand and 2 Jetway gates.

Flyguy

Silver1SWA

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:09 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
OAHU747 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

From what I've been told from my HNL station peeps. In the short term thanks to covid causing a lack of international flights WN has successfully secured mid morning and mid afternoon time slots for additional flights on other gates. Once Hawaiian airlines new terminal opens up WN will be able to increase its daily gate capacity to 6 total. 4 hard stand and 2 Jetway gates.

Flyguy

At least 3 “HNL peeps” are active in this thread, all scratching their heads whenever you post info provided by your sources.

And regarding the caps on loads, flights were initially capped so they could gather real world data. It’s also a seasonal issue.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

barney captain

Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:38 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
OAHU747 wrote:

Flyguy

At least 3 “HNL peeps” are active in this thread, all scratching their heads whenever you post info provided by your sources.

And regarding the caps on loads, flights were initially capped so they could gather real world data. It’s also a seasonal issue.

True. I've not seen nor heard of any weight restrictions.
Southeast Of Disorder

Flflyer83

Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
OAHU747 wrote:

Flyguy

It’s not just “HNL peeps”... it’s pretty much everyone that gives a “huh” and an eye roll.

Wneast

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:27 am

Does WN plan to fly double daily to OGG and HNL from LAS and PHX to compete against the other airlines offerings to start ?

Jshank83

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:44 am

Wneast wrote:
Does WN plan to fly double daily to OGG and HNL from LAS and PHX to compete against the other airlines offerings to start ?

How would anyone on here know this? And if they did why would they risk saying it when it hasn’t even been announced they are flying from those cities to Hawaii at all?

jplatts

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:38 am

WN adding service to YYC, YEG, and YUL in Canada might be possibilities once U.S. to Canada demand recovers with YYC, YEG, and YUL being far enough from any U.S. airport served by WN.

FCA, which is the closest U.S. commercial airport to YYC and YEG, is more than 250 miles driving distance from Downtown Calgary and more than 400 miles driving distance from Downtown Edmonton. Both YYC and YEG are obviously markets that WN could not serve from an U.S. airport with both of these cities being far from any commercial airports in the U.S.

While PBG on the U.S. side of the U.S.-Canada border is marketed as Montreal's U.S. Airport, PBG is approximately 69 miles from Downtown Montreal. BTV, which is further from Montreal than PBG is, carried significantly more passengers than PBG did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. It might make sense for WN to serve YUL instead of PBG with limited demand to the U.S.-side of the Plattsburgh, NY area and most of the demand near Montreal being on the Canadian side of the border. AA and DL also serve YUL but not PBG.

YUL-WAS also currently has limited competition as the two airlines serving YUL nonstop from WAS (UA and AC) are joint venture partners that are both in Star Alliance instead of ordinary competitors (as would be the case on a route such as YYZ-DTW that is served nonstop by DL and AC). WN might be able to charge lower fares than UA/AC on YUL-BWI route, even with the higher costs of operating out of YUL, due to the limited competition that is currently there on YUL-WAS. WN also has a significant FF base in the Baltimore/Washington region and other U.S. markets along with significant connecting feed on the BWI end to support possible nonstop service to YUL from BWI once demand to Canada from the U.S. recovers.

While there was some leakage to BUF from the Toronto area prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the city of Toronto is probably far enough driving distance-wise from BUF to support possible WN service out of YYZ with the driving distance to Downtown Toronto being 109 miles from BUF airport.

WN has recently announced plans to serve BLI near the Vancouver metro area, but BLI is closer to Downtown Vancouver than PBG is to Downtown Montreal or BUF is to Downtown Toronto with Downtown Vancouver being 51 miles from BLI airport. BLI is also only 20 miles from the U.S.-Canada border, and some of the southeastern suburbs of Vancouver are close enough to BLI for BLI to be a viable alternative for those traveling to the U.S. from the southeastern suburbs of Vancouver.

Despite the higher costs of operating out of Canadian airports, it probably makes sense for WN to add service to a few Canadian airports such as YYC, YEG, YUL, and YYZ once demand for U.S. to Canada travel recovers as WN already has a significant FF base in many contiguous U.S. markets where AA, DL, or UA don't have hubs to support WN service to a few Canadian airports. WN had also previously considered adding service to a few Canadian airports.

IceCream

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:58 am

jplatts wrote:
WN adding service to YYC, YEG, and YUL in Canada might be possibilities once U.S. to Canada demand recovers with YYC, YEG, and YUL being far enough from any U.S. airport served by WN.

FCA, which is the closest U.S. commercial airport to YYC and YEG, is more than 250 miles driving distance from Downtown Calgary and more than 400 miles driving distance from Downtown Edmonton. Both YYC and YEG are obviously markets that WN could not serve from an U.S. airport with both of these cities being far from any commercial airports in the U.S.

While PBG on the U.S. side of the U.S.-Canada border is marketed as Montreal's U.S. Airport, PBG is approximately 69 miles from Downtown Montreal. BTV, which is further from Montreal than PBG is, carried significantly more passengers than PBG did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. It might make sense for WN to serve YUL instead of PBG with limited demand to the U.S.-side of the Plattsburgh, NY area and most of the demand near Montreal being on the Canadian side of the border. AA and DL also serve YUL but not PBG.

YUL-WAS also currently has limited competition as the two airlines serving YUL nonstop from WAS (UA and AC) are joint venture partners that are both in Star Alliance instead of ordinary competitors (as would be the case on a route such as YYZ-DTW that is served nonstop by DL and AC). WN might be able to charge lower fares than UA/AC on YUL-BWI route, even with the higher costs of operating out of YUL, due to the limited competition that is currently there on YUL-WAS. WN also has a significant FF base in the Baltimore/Washington region and other U.S. markets along with significant connecting feed on the BWI end to support possible nonstop service to YUL from BWI once demand to Canada from the U.S. recovers.

While there was some leakage to BUF from the Toronto area prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the city of Toronto is probably far enough driving distance-wise from BUF to support possible WN service out of YYZ with the driving distance to Downtown Toronto being 109 miles from BUF airport.

WN has recently announced plans to serve BLI near the Vancouver metro area, but BLI is closer to Downtown Vancouver than PBG is to Downtown Montreal or BUF is to Downtown Toronto with Downtown Vancouver being 51 miles from BLI airport. BLI is also only 20 miles from the U.S.-Canada border, and some of the southeastern suburbs of Vancouver are close enough to BLI for BLI to be a viable alternative for those traveling to the U.S. from the southeastern suburbs of Vancouver.

Despite the higher costs of operating out of Canadian airports, it probably makes sense for WN to add service to a few Canadian airports such as YYC, YEG, YUL, and YYZ once demand for U.S. to Canada travel recovers as WN already has a significant FF base in many contiguous U.S. markets where AA, DL, or UA don't have hubs to support WN service to a few Canadian airports. WN had also previously considered adding service to a few Canadian airports.

I don't disagree with you but at the same time, most Canadians would probably prefer to fly with a Canadian carrier or with the US carriers already serving their city. Frontier tried DEN/LAS-YYC and didn't do very well. I could most definitely be wrong though.

AC4500

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:40 am

WN does not have a good customer reach outside of the U.S. I believe there was a thread on here a few years ago about WN's website not being accessible at all outside of the U.S. but I could be way off base there. The only way that Canada would be remotely successful for them is if they finally start selling their flights on third-party websites, like Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, etc.

With that being said, WN would not be able to compete against Canada's LCCs on heavy leisure markets like Canada-MCO/TPA on the east coast or Canada-LAS/PHX/SAN on the west coast since those markets are almost all reliant on Canada point of sale traffic.

I could maybe see BWI-YYZ/YUL being added in the long-term future, followed by MDW-YYZ/YUL after that. That's about it though, IMO. Western Canada markets like YVR/YYC/YEG/YYJ would be too low-yielding, as WN focus cities like LAS, PHX and SAN are all heavy leisure markets from Canada point of sale traffic and DEN is a star alliance hub (DEN-Canada markets are dominated by AC/UA).

Also.... IAD (close to BWI) and ORD (close to MDW) are also star alliance hubs, which would make the proposed routes that I mentioned even more difficult to be profitable.
Next:
AS: PDX-DEN-PDX
FI: PDX-KEF-PDX

bomber996

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:27 pm

How have the loads at MIA been recently? I booked a flight MIA-HOU-MSP for a week from now a few days ago and since then the price has dropped $65 for the one-way. Would this have anything to do with loads? I've never seen price drops like that so close in.

Peace :box:
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

AC4500

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:49 pm

bomber996 wrote:
How have the loads at MIA been recently? I booked a flight MIA-HOU-MSP for a week from now a few days ago and since then the price has dropped $65 for the one-way. Would this have anything to do with loads? I've never seen price drops like that so close in.

From what I can recall, people on this thread have said that MIA loads have exceeded expectations, but I don't have any inside knowledge. But I agree that it's certainly weird to see such a price drop that close in. Perhaps they're trying to take advantage of last-minute ticket buyers, like the ULCC airlines regularly do.
Next:

jplatts

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:06 pm

AC4500 wrote:
bomber996 wrote:

From what I can recall, people on this thread have said that MIA loads have exceeded expectations, but I don't have any inside knowledge. But I agree that it's certainly weird to see such a price drop that close in. Perhaps they're trying to take advantage of last-minute ticket buyers, like the ULCC airlines regularly do.

Here were the load factors for WN flights out of MIA in the November 2020 - December 2020 time period:
BWI-MIA - 48.89%
HOU-MIA - 56.09%
MDW-MIA - 59.90%
MIA-TPA - 32.98%

Here were the load factors for FLL-BWI/HOU/MDW/MIA on WN in the November 2020 - December 2020 time period:
BWI-FLL - 45.81%
FLL-HOU - 57.68%
FLL-MDW - 52.05%
FLL-TPA - 42.37%

Station load factors for MIA and FLL on WN in the November 2020 - December 2020 time period:
FLL - 52.72%
MIA - 48.96%

alggag

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 pm

bomber996 wrote:

Make sure to update your reservation to get credit for the price difference if you haven't already. :twocents:

bomber996

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:57 pm

alggag wrote:
bomber996 wrote:

Make sure to update your reservation to get credit for the price difference if you haven't already. :twocents:

I now have 3 separate credits totaling $65. It's dropped multiple times.

"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

wnflyguy

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:41 pm

Welcome back for the 3ed time IAH.
And congratulations to SBA joining the family!
I saw a screenshot this morning of WN Otis page on a FB group. The First day Loads for SBA look good. IAH not so much.
Hopefully 3ed times a charm for IAH.
Because I know everyone loves my information so much on A.Net sounds like EUG and BLI will start in July and Aug.

Flyguy

ikolkyo

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:11 pm

Looks like MAX aircraft are now flying under "normal flight numbers". Before today I had noticed MAX aircraft flying revenue flights under 6xxx flight numbers only

tomaheath

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:15 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Looks like MAX aircraft are now flying under "normal flight numbers". Before today I had noticed MAX aircraft flying revenue flights under 6xxx flight numbers only

I was on flight number 1559 this morning and it’s been scheduled as a MAX for months.

ikolkyo

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 am

tomaheath wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

I was on flight number 1559 this morning and it’s been scheduled as a MAX for months.

Right, they switched flight numbers this week. See https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/wn1559/ before it was all B738 for this flight

ikolkyo

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:21 am

tomaheath wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Right, they switched flight numbers this week. Pretty sure it was a planned schedule swap because if you look at any previous flights for the MAX aircraft before this week its all 6xxx flight numbers

smokeybandit

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 pm

WN732 wrote:
bobd6 wrote:
Are WN flying the Max aircraft all with 6XXX callsigns to make it easy to know which flights are max?

Yep, I'm not sure for how long that is, but for now all Max flights are 6000's.

WN4205 just flew over my house en route to DEN, shows up as a MAX. It may be old news by now though

wnflyguy

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:54 pm

barney captain wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Awesome.
With the MAX8 ETOPS certification flights has the wiring grounding halted everything?
Thanks
Flyguy

Wneast

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

Awesome.
With the MAX8 ETOPS certification flights has the wiring grounding halted everything?
Thanks
Flyguy
I would hope that it’s doesn’t delay there plans wasn’t the HNL to PHX round trip certification flights supposed to be soon ?

Ishrion

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am

Eugene begins August 29.

1x daily LAS
2x daily OAK

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:54 am

Ishrion wrote:
Eugene begins August 29.

1x daily LAS
2x daily OAK

Wow 3 flights.
I honestly didn't see OAK being the wining house out of that race.

Flyguy

BA744PHX

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Eugene begins August 29.

1x daily LAS
2x daily OAK

Surprised DEN/PHX aren't listed, I assume these will be added later.

pmanni1

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:09 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Eugene begins August 29.

1x daily LAS
2x daily OAK

I would be skeptical to see any additional flights added. Eugene is a small regional city that doesn't get much traffic from outside of the PNW and west coast.

jplatts

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

I would be skeptical to see any additional flights added. Eugene is a small regional city that doesn't get much traffic from outside of the PNW and west coast.

The LAS and SFO/OAK markets had stronger demand from EUG prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but EUG-DEN had higher PDEW's than EUG-SFO/OAK/SJC in Q3 2020.

I probably would expect WN to add EUG-DEN nonstop service at some point with
(a) WN having nonstop service out of DEN to some destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from OAK or LAS,
(b) WN planning on significantly expanding at DEN prior to the COVID-19 pandemic,
(c) the connections that WN would be offering through DEN, and
(d) WN already having an FF base in the DEN market and many markets east of the Rocky Mountains to support EUG-DEN nonstop service on WN.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 pm

jplatts wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

The LAS and SFO/OAK markets had stronger demand from EUG prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but EUG-DEN had higher PDEW's than EUG-SFO/OAK/SJC in Q3 2020.

I probably would expect WN to add EUG-DEN nonstop service at some point with
(a) WN having nonstop service out of DEN to some destinations that WN doesn't serve nonstop from OAK or LAS,
(b) WN planning on significantly expanding at DEN prior to the COVID-19 pandemic,
(c) the connections that WN would be offering through DEN, and
(d) WN already having an FF base in the DEN market and many markets east of the Rocky Mountains to support EUG-DEN nonstop service on WN.

I think DEN service will definitely be added at a later date when more gates open up in the spring of 2022.
As of right now WN has successfully filled DEN daily gate space with all the increased flights. DEN is like one contestant BANK a recipe for disaster once thunderstorms season comes.

Flyguy

Wneast

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Awesome.
Thanks
Flyguy
I would hope that it’s doesn’t delay there plans wasn’t the HNL to PHX round trip certification flights supposed to be soon ?

Have you heard anymore wnflyguy if they etops is certification is still on track to finish this week or the did the 30 jets getting grounded stopped the process ?

FATFlyer

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Eugene begins August 29.

1x daily LAS
2x daily OAK

Allegiant flies both of those a few days per week so I wonder what G4's reaction will be.

At Fresno, Allegiant will compete with WN for the FAT-LAS O&D. This Fall G4 is increasing schedules on the busier days of Sun/Mon/Thurs/Fri from 2X to 3X, matching WN's frequency. The other 3 days/week Allegiant is keeping at the current 1X. Between the two, FAT-LAS will be at 6X frequency on Sun/Mon/Thurs/Fri.

We will see if G4 considers EUG a market it wants to compete for or if it will pull back on those two routes.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

AC4500

Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:50 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Eugene begins August 29.

1x daily LAS
2x daily OAK

I tend to agree with this for the most part; AA is currently flying 2x daily CRJ-700s on PHX-EUG and there's a very good chance that at least one of those flights will switch to a mainline A319 in order to reposition the aircraft for their EUG-DFW flight. With that in mind, along with G4 on EUG-AZA, there's probably not too much room for WN in that market.

However, I can see EUG-DEN being launched eventually, as DEN has become a "mega focus city" for WN which would end up opening a whole lot more connections for passengers to/from EUG than what OAK and LAS have to offer.
Next:

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Wneast wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Awesome.
Thanks
Flyguy

Have you heard anymore wnflyguy if they etops is certification is still on track to finish this week or the did the 30 jets getting grounded stopped the process ?

I haven't heard anything.
I did see SWAPA informed its pilots that almost all of it's members will be back on the flight schedule for July 1 2021.
WN peak Flights schedule was around 4700 daily flights with these staffing levels pre Pandemic.
But as of now July and August published flight schedule is about 3800 daily flights.
With all the flight attendants and pilots being called back for summertime flying I'm expecting a pending announcement for extra flights for summer time. Otherwise that's a lot of dead weight getting FULL pay vs ExTO pay.
Would make no sense for WN to increase its wage spending by millions and not use them.
Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I did see SWAPA informed its pilots that almost all of it's members will be back on the flight schedule for July 1 2021.
WN peak Flights schedule was around 4700 daily flights with these staffing levels pre Pandemic.
But as of now July and August published flight schedule is about 3800 daily flights.
With all the flight attendants and pilots being called back for summertime flying I'm expecting a pending announcement for extra flights for summer time. Otherwise that's a lot of dead weight getting FULL pay vs ExTO pay and not getting used.
Flyguy

Next week is there 1st quarter earnings call right maybe we see a announcement for extra summer time flying ?

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

With all the flight attendants and pilots being called back for summertime flying I'm expecting a pending announcement for extra flights for summer time. Otherwise that's a lot of dead weight getting FULL pay vs ExTO pay and not getting used.
Flyguy

Next week is there 1st quarter earnings call right maybe we see a announcement for extra summer time flying ?

Just 100% me guessing I think you will see them on some retaliation against others that have added point to point flying in typical WN markets in which WN halted during the pandemic by shifting to a HUB heavy schedule. ( like SAN,BUR, RDU ect ect.)
International destinations returning. Like CUN could easily increase to last years peak summer schedule.
TPA,MCO and FLL could all easily see Daily increases SUN-Friday to mirror the heavy Saturday only schedule.
LAS hotels have seen a sharp increase in summer booking so they could easily add more flights to and from their also.
And Hawaii will definitely see some additional flying.

The speculation and rumors are running crazy.
While I usually post the ones I think have value or I like.
It's taken as not wanted anymore by the mods as flame/click bait.
But hey if if I want to post Stats with invalid numbers and no way to back the numbers up and swear Airline X is driving WN out of the market because I'm anti WN its given all thumbs up.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Flyguy

Just 100% me guessing I think you will see them on some retaliation against others that have added point to point flying in typical WN markets in which WN halted during the pandemic by shifting to a HUB heavy schedule. ( like SAN,BUR, RDU ect ect.)
International destinations returning. Like CUN could easily increase to last years peak summer schedule.
TPA,MCO and FLL could all easily see Daily increases SUN-Friday to mirror the heavy Saturday only schedule.
LAS hotels have seen a sharp increase in summer booking so they could easily add more flights to and from their also.
And Hawaii will definitely see some additional flying.

I would think they would finally start adding more at SAN, BUR and RDU with all the competition they seem to really be fighting American and United right now but I see them increasing California and Hawaii flights to fight Alaska and other airlines going to Hawaii

alpine1989

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:23 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Wneast wrote:

With all the flight attendants and pilots being called back for summertime flying I'm expecting a pending announcement for extra flights for summer time. Otherwise that's a lot of dead weight getting FULL pay vs ExTO pay.
Would make no sense for WN to increase its wage spending by millions and not use them.
Flyguy

Southwest never operated 4700 daily flights. The pre-COVID peak was approximately 4250.