Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
avi8 wrote:
Interesting to see that WN is barely operating TPA-LGA and TPA-PHL. I wonder what’s going on there.

WN is irrelevant North and East of BWI.

WN still has significant market share at many of the Northeastern airports served by WN outside of BOS, LGA, PHL, and PWM, but demand for WN service out of the Northeastern U.S. is much lower than it was prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

WN is also still bigger at LGA (by number of passengers in 2020) than it is at any of the Upstate New York or New England airports that are served by WN. Unlike most of the other WN domestic nonstop routes to Florida that are primarily targeting leisure traffic going to Florida from other parts of the contiguous U.S., WN TPA-LGA nonstop flights were primarily targeting Tampa Bay area-originating travelers going to NYC.

WN still continued to serve Florida nonstop from PHL after downsizing PHL from its peak of 70 daily departures in 2009. WN also likely still had a FF base in the PHL market due to the much bigger presence that WN had in the PHL market, similar to the FF bases that AA, DL, and UA have in some of their former hub or focus city markets. Demand to Florida from PHL on WN was still strong until the COVID-19 pandemic, even with nonstop competition from AA, F9, and NK on PHL to Florida nonstop routes.
Last edited by jplatts on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wnflyguy

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 pm

barney captain wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Well the Etops certification question answered today with 2 flights flying today from PHX with 2 separate aircraft conducting certification flights. #8725 # 8726.

Enjoy or don't
Flyguy

It looks like another set of com validation flights PHX-PHX. Anxious for the first MAX to enter etops airspace.

According to WN sources the Flight Attended FAST team are on Standby all this week in PHX for HNL validation flights.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

airplaneboy

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
avi8 wrote:
Interesting to see that WN is barely operating TPA-LGA and TPA-PHL. I wonder what’s going on there.

But not in TPA.

BigPlaneGuy13

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
BigPlaneGuy13 wrote:
Anyone notice how WN flew out Lonestar One and California One for the inuagural flights at IAH and SBA? I thought that was thoughtful. As a current resident in Chicago, in hindsight I'm a bit disappointed that ORD service didn't get the same fanfare. Anyone know if there were any plans for Illinois One that got changed?

Illinois One (my favorite of our liveries) no longer exists. She was returned to the lessor and due to the pandemic another frame hasn’t taken its place. I don’t think painting birds is at the top of our priority list right now because one side of Tennessee One is looking ROUGH to say the least.

Aw, that's a shame. Would be nice if she becomes the first special livery for WN to be painted on a MAX!

Thanks for the update.

ericm2031

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 am

STT757 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:
Yes, original IL One went back to its lessor.

Does that mean it’s going To United?

I think only the ex-AirTran birds are going to UA. This would have been from before the merger.

AC4500

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:16 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
avi8 wrote:

But not in TPA.

But probably only 10% of passengers who fly TPA-LGA/PHL are from Tampa. These are heavy leisure markets with the vast majority of point of sale in the greater NYC/PHL areas.

wnflyguy

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm

I honestly don't think anything worthwhile will now be announced tomorrow.
Finger crossed I'm wrong but the usual circles are not being that optimistic.
With the excitement of the resumption of ETOPS certification flights yesterday Im told the Pending Hawaii expansion announcement has been pushed to the May shareholders meeting and service increase from Mid June to early July. This is because the MAX8 wiring issues stalled the ETOPS certification process by 2 weeks.

New city buzz is the BLI start up is now on hold until Winter time since Canada extending its boarder closures.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

jplatts

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:50 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I honestly don't think anything worthwhile will now be announced tomorrow.
Finger crossed I'm wrong but the usual circles are not being that optimistic.
With the excitement of the resumption of ETOPS certification flights yesterday Im told the Pending Hawaii expansion announcement has been pushed to the May shareholders meeting and service increase from Mid June to early July. This is because the MAX8 wiring issues stalled the ETOPS certification process by 2 weeks.

New city buzz is the BLI start up is now on hold until Winter time since Canada extending its boarder closures.

I could see WN possibly announcing a few more new nonstop routes out of LAS such as LAS-CVG/MEM with LAS being one of the biggest WN hubs and other recent adds that WN has made at LAS such as LAS-BZN/ORD/COS/EUG/FAT/IAH/PSP/SBA.

WN re-adding daily nonstop service to CLE and DTW from LAS is also a possibility once demand recovers with
(a) the high load factors that WN was getting on both LAS-CLE and LAS-DTW prior to reducing LAS-CLE/DTW nonstop service to Saturday-only and
(b) the additional connecting opportunities that are now there at LAS on WN with the recent LAS-FAT/PSP/SBA adds.

The return of WN LAS-ORF nonstop service might also be a possibility with
(a) B6 or NK not currently serving ORF, whereas B6 and NK have added nonstop service to LAS from other East Coast markets served by B6 and NK,
(b) ORF being one of the top contiguous U.S. markets without nonstop service to LAS, even though WN and F9 have previously served LAS nonstop from ORF, and
(c) the connecting opportunities that are there at LAS to California destinations on WN.

airplaneboy

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:25 pm

AC4500 wrote:
airplaneboy wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

But not in TPA.

But probably only 10% of passengers who fly TPA-LGA/PHL are from Tampa. These are heavy leisure markets with the vast majority of point of sale in the greater NYC/PHL areas.

True that, I had a brain fart and misread Avi8’s post. And it makes sense that WN would be barely operating any Florida-NE market considering their poor brand recognition/market loyalty north of BWI (as Nicknuzzii mentioned).

Midwestindy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:10 pm

"We believe there is significant pent-up demand for leisure travel and are optimistic about summer 2021. In response, we are in the process of adding flights in June 2021, and we currently expect June available seat miles (ASMs, or capacity) to be only slightly less than June 2019 pre-pandemic levels."

"The Company continues to experience an increase in bookings farther out on the booking curve, with approximately 35 percent and 20 percent of anticipated bookings currently in place for June and July, respectively."

https://www.southwestairlinesinvestorre ... -114541457
ORD & IND

AA & DL

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:57 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
"We believe there is significant pent-up demand for leisure travel and are optimistic about summer 2021. In response, we are in the process of adding flights in June 2021, and we currently expect June available seat miles (ASMs, or capacity) to be only slightly less than June 2019 pre-pandemic levels."

"The Company continues to experience an increase in bookings farther out on the booking curve, with approximately 35 percent and 20 percent of anticipated bookings currently in place for June and July, respectively."

https://www.southwestairlinesinvestorre ... -114541457

They're adding 59 parked 737-700 back to the schedule in June. Sounds like the remaining 9 will be retired after summer time flying. That's gonna be a Huge increase in flying roughly around 230 daily flights.
I don't think they will announce anything new today and or until everyone else announces their Quarterly financial statements and summer schedules.
WN will definitely be using the returning aircraft to defend its strongholds.

I believe the shareholders meeting is the 2nd week of May this year so probably nothing getting announced until then.

Flyguy

bobd6

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:21 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I believe the shareholders meeting is the 2nd week of May this year so probably nothing getting announced until then.

May 19

FlyPNS1

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:39 pm

I gotta imagine some of the June capacity will get rolled in sooner than May 19th.

I look at a route like BWI-PNS which WN is flying 5x weekly in May, but that increase hasn’t been rolled into the June schedule yet.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm

bobd6 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

May 19

Awesome thanks.
Sounds like the biggest schedule expansion including Hawaii is being planned for July and August.
So with these pandemic fare sales everyone doing
WN will definitely follow along and since its leisure destinations it will just give it's self just over a 30 day window of sale before fly sale bucket.

Also heard by May 19 all aircraft will have transferred to the new MX/NOC tracking system. For the first time in its history they will have a 24/7/365 operating system that no longer requires a daily 0300 Herb reboot allowing them the flexibility to add Red Eyes.
Opening Hawaii to most of the remaining system via LAS and PHX.

Flyguy

bobd6

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:45 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
For the first time in its history they will have a 24/7/365 operating system that no longer requires a daily 0300 Herb reboot allowing them the flexibility to add Red Eyes.

Looking forward to through fares to MDW, but as someone that does software development, a "3am herb reboot" is likely baked into so many other system, we will see what else breaks when it can't be rebooted regularly.

av8tiongeek

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:52 pm

Pilots did receive a memo on this. WN is moving closer to a full 24/7 operation. Finally!

smokeybandit

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:53 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
bobd6 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

May 19

Awesome thanks.
Sounds like the biggest schedule expansion including Hawaii is being planned for July and August.
WN will definitely follow along and since its leisure destinations it will just give it's self just over a 30 day window of sale before fly sale bucket.

Also heard by May 19 all aircraft will have transferred to the new MX/NOC tracking system. For the first time in its history they will have a 24/7/365 operating system that no longer requires a daily 0300 Herb reboot allowing them the flexibility to add Red Eyes.

Flyguy

So Southwest finally got off Windows NT servers?

trueblew

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I've always heard of there being an IT limitation to SWA being unable to fly 24/7, but what exactly is the issue? And once the issue is fixed what sort of flight operations might we see as a result? Short hops generally aren't very compatible with redeye flying.

joeblow10

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:15 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Pilots did receive a memo on this. WN is moving closer to a full 24/7 operation. Finally!

I’m sure the pilots are just thrilled that red eyes are coming... lol

SWADawg

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

I’m sure the pilots are just thrilled that red eyes are coming... lol

At least I’m senior enough not to have to fly them. I’m sure there will be some pilots here that would actually bid these types of trips however.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

av8tiongeek

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:19 pm

trueblew wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I've always heard of there being an IT limitation to SWA being unable to fly 24/7, but what exactly is the issue? And once the issue is fixed what sort of flight operations might we see as a result? Short hops generally aren't very compatible with redeye flying.

Basically, they had to upgrade their entire technology on top of what most consider an abacus. Let's see what they do when these limitations are no longer an issue. It's only been 50 years.

Wneast

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:32 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
bobd6 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

May 19

Awesome thanks.

Flyguy

Will they wait tell may 19 though if you said once the get the certification there announcing stuff like the next day to Hawaii is the certification going to cause it to be delayed a month when the wiring issue was only two weeks ?

Jshank83

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:00 pm

They can't be waiting til mid-may to update their June schedule. I would think that needs to happen by next week at the latest.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
bobd6 wrote:

May 19

Awesome thanks.

Flyguy

Will they wait tell may 19 though if you said once the get the certification there announcing stuff like the next day to Hawaii is the certification going to cause it to be delayed a month when the wiring issue was only two weeks ?

Well according to Pilot and FA sources any additional flying including the possibility of adding Red Eyes must be made available for crew planning before the June Bid period is released to its members under both the Pilots and FA CBAs.
So by this information any additional flights planned for June must be announced before the end of the month.

Flyguy

ScottB

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
So Southwest finally got off Windows NT servers?

Probably more like an IBM mainframe with code written in COBOL.

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Is that really true? They're not important at BOS, PHL, or the NYC airports, although their 10% market share at LGA in 2019 is reasonably impressive when one considers that airport is slot-controlled and WN had only begun service there ten years before in 2009.

But in 2019, they had 53% share at MHT, 38% at PVD, 32% at ALB, 29% at BUF, 22% at BDL, 14% at PWM, 16% at ROC, and 59% at ISP. They're #1 or #2 in share at most second-tier airports in the Northeast.

Wneast

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Awesome thanks.

Flyguy

Well according to Pilot and FA sources any additional flying including the possibility of adding Red Eyes must be made available for crew planning before the June Bid period is released to its members under both the Pilots and FA CBAs.
So by this information any additional flights planned for June must be announced before the end of the month.

Flyguy
is the 12:30 event today just to discuss the earnings because there was a statement and they already came out with the numbers this morning ?

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:15 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Flyguy
is the 12:30 event today just to discuss the earnings because there was a statement and they already came out with the numbers this morning ?

Well hopefully we hear something about something at 11:30 Herb.

Flyguy

SXDFC

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Saw a picture on FB, looks like N922WN has been repainted into the heart livery. Another plane will get repainted into the Tennessee One livery at another date.

Silver1SWA

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:20 pm

SXDFC wrote:
According to FR24, 922 has been in GEG since the Apr 13. I’d imagine she’s getting some new paint.

Just saw on Facebook she’s wearing the standard livery. :grumpy:
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
According to FR24, 922 has been in GEG since the Apr 13. I’d imagine she’s getting some new paint.

I've heard because of the current political and racial issues in America Tennessee one was seen as WN promoting the confederate slave owners heritage. So WN decided to remove the paint scheme from the fleet to shed away any unwanted attention towards WN.

Flyguy

southwest1675

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

I've heard because of the current political and racial issues in America Tennessee one was seen as WN promoting the confederate slave owners heritage. So WN decided to remove the paint scheme from the fleet to shed away any unwanted attention towards WN.

Flyguy

I remember when they first unveiled it, half of the comments on social media were people saying it looked like the confederate flag....

However if it’s true they felt the flag represented a state with slave owning history, then FL One might be on the chopping block...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

trueblew

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:49 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Flyguy

Oh FFS... if that's the real reason WN has zero fortitude. Shameful. It's not as if the TN flag incorporates the bars and stars. Maybe they should remove the USA flag from the paint scheme too.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Flyguy

Some one else said WN will resume the Flag fleet paint schemes to the MAX7 in 3ed quarter of 2022.
And transition all themed aircraft by 2025.

Flyguy

Silver1SWA

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:15 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Flyguy

0 for 2 on specialty schemes for that bird. lol
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Wneast

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:17 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Well hopefully we hear something about something at 11:30 Herb.

Flyguy
Do you think since they said soon on the finalized schedule In June and July including Hawaii mean it could probably happen next week ? What do you think there going to do in places like BUR, RDU and SAN to fight back against the other airlines like you said ?
Last edited by Wneast on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Only highlights worth mentioning from the call was.
Tom Nealon said they will finalize June and July schedule additions very soon and that would include finishing their Hawaii ambitions since they were delayed from onset of the MAX8 grounding.
GK in the question and answer session said the new cities could easily see a dozen or so of new destinations added from them.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Tom Nealon said they will finalize June and July schedule additions very soon and that would include finishing their Hawaii ambitions since they were delayed from onset of the MAX8 grounding.
GK in the question and answer session said the new cities could easily see a dozen of so new destinations added from them.

Flyguy

What are the cities you think could see a dozen new additions from them ? I’m thinking MIA, IAH, COS and ORD ?

av8tiongeek

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Word on the street they're calling internals that had been in the pool if they're still interested in going inflight.

jplatts

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Wneast wrote:
What are the cities you think could see a dozen new additions from them ? I’m thinking MIA, IAH, COS and ORD ?

There are some more adds that I could see WN possibly making out of MIA, IAH, and ORD such as MIA-IND/MCI, IAH-ATL/BWI/STL, and ORD-ATL/HOU.

If WN can get extra slots at LGA, WN adding ORD-LGA nonstop service might also be a possibility with (a) the significant demand that was there to NYC from MDW on WN prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and (b) LGA being one of the top destinations traveled to from MDW on WN in 2019. Approximately 67% of the passengers aboard WN's MDW-LGA nonstop flights in 2019 were O&D passengers flying nonstop between MDW and LGA, and a significant amount of the demand for MDW-LGA was on the Chicago end of the route.

WN adding COS-BWI is a possibility with WAS being one of the top markets traveled to from COS that isn't currently served nonstop from COS and with the connecting opportunities that would be there to the Northeast at BWI.

WN adding COS-HOU nonstop service is also a possibility with the connections that WN would be offering through HOU to MSY, Florida, and international destinations and with Houston being one of the top markets traveled to from COS.

There are also some more adds that WN could make at DAL such as DAL-CVG/BDL/PSP and the return of DAL-BOI/BOS/CLE/DTW/TUS nonstop service if WN makes other cuts at DAL.

southwest1675

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 pm

COS-BNA seasonal service.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:39 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
GK in the question and answer session said the new cities could easily see a dozen of so new destinations added from them.

Flyguy

FAT could easily see LAX,SAN and PHX.
PSP I don't see anything they already reduced PHX
3>2 and added a LAS 0>1.
BZN has enough coverage.
VSP hitting the ground running with enough flights.
MYR has a good amount of coverage.
SAV add ATL and a early morning BWI and MDW flight.
JAN nothing it struggled before so wait and see on that.
SRQ could easily see more seasonal dots across the Midwest and eastern US.
SBA add SAN and PHX.
EUG add DEN,PHX,LAX
IAH Add LAX,OAK,STL
ORD add OAK,HOU,FLL
MTZ add LAS
HDN add LAS
COS add BWI,MCO,HOU,OAK,LAX,SAN
MIA hands down could easily add the most dots to half the Midwest and eastern cities. WN will eventually have 5 gates at MIA so that tell you something.
BLI I'm going to guess will have OAK,LAS,DEN,PHX and LAX ( LA Vancouver BC is one of the most travelled destinations for Canadians). Seasonal HNL.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

jplatts

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:26 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SAV add ATL and a early morning BWI and MDW flight.

I agree that WN adding SAV-ATL nonstop service is a possibility, not only due to there being some O&D between ATL and SAV, but also due to the connecting feed that WN would have onto SAV-ATL flights from places such as OKC, OMA, MCI, STL, LIT, MEM, MKE, SDF, IND, and CMH.

WN adding SAV-MCI/MKE nonstop service are possibilities, even if on a less-than-daily basis, with MCI and MKE being in two of the largest Midwestern markets without nonstop service to SAV whereas most of the other major Midwestern markets already have at least less-than-daily nonstop service to SAV.

WN adding SAV-DEN nonstop service is also a possibility with SAV being one of the top remaining destinations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN. WN would also have connecting feed onto SAV-DEN from most of its destinations west of the Rocky Mountains if it adds SAV-DEN nonstop service.

Wneast

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:47 am

I’m really hoping that WN mentioning BOI as one of there top performing markets in the earnings call that they will finally add more fights ?

Wneast

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:17 am

wnflyguy wrote:
GK in the question and answer session said the new cities could easily see a dozen or so of new destinations added from them.

Flyguy
what thinking the will do now that they are planning to red eyes for Hawaii flights does that change what you think routes are going to be released besides most likely PHX and LAS ?

sldispatcher

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:40 am

Out of curiosity as a casual WN observer, their recent adds are not exactly in the mold of traditional WN. Is it me, or is there some correlation with the number of destinations/flights that G4 might have in a market that start to play into this or is that completely misguided on my part?

AC4500

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:43 am

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy
what thinking the will do now that they are planning to red eyes for Hawaii flights does that change what you think routes are going to be released besides most likely PHX and LAS ?

I would imagine that this change opens up the door for a major Hawaii expansion. Service to Alaska may also be more viable now.

Wneast

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:47 am

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I would imagine that this change opens up the door for a major Hawaii expansion. Service to Alaska may also be more viable now.

What do you see be added ? I imagine there going to put all airlines on to notice to Hawaii

barney captain

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:03 am

Fifty crews (50 CA and 50 FO's) will be added to he LAX etops base and 33 full crews to the LAS etops base for June. Something must be up.
Southeast Of Disorder

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:29 pm

[quote="sldispatcher"]Out of curiosity as a casual WN observer, their recent adds are not exactly in the mold of traditional WN. Is it me, or is there some correlation with the number of destinations/flights that G4 might have in a market that start to play into this or is that completely misguided on my part?[/Mike Linenberg

Great. That context was very helpful. Just my second question to Andrew, with the cities, 10 that have been announced, I think, out of 17, interesting, when you think back historically, Southwest was an airline that was very sort of tactical and methodical and sort of additions, maybe one, two a year, maybe some years, no cities. And now all of a sudden, the deluge of cities, and some of these are actually small markets. And if I think back to Southwest in the past, some small markets, the Company historically may have struggled. What -- it sounds like the ramp-up is going fairly well. Andrew, maybe what has changed that you feel much stronger in moving into some of these smaller markets and more quickly? Maybe it’s just the pandemic. You strike when the iron is hot, maybe it’s the density of the Southwest network, small cities can plug in and you can turn on and be successful far easier today than the Southwest of 10 years ago? Maybe I answered the question. But, if you could just give us some color because this is kind of a different mode for Southwest with respect to new city development.

Andrew Watterson

Certainly, I’ll be happy to answer, and Tom, feel free to join in. We are methodical. And so, prior to the pandemic, we have a practice every year of going through and looking at every place we could fly our aircraft and evaluating them at least in desktop, if not in-person visit. So, all these cities were ones that were known to us and evaluated prior to the pandemic. And so, when the pandemic, as Gary talked about, we’re unsure about the pace of business travel return. And so, because we have a lot of business travelers, if they were not to return in a timely manner, we would have a shortfall in revenue activity to deploy our people and assets against, and with the operating leverage model, you don’t want that. So, we want to make sure we have enough new cities to cover any potential shortfall in that return. So, that led us to go at a bigger scale than normal.

The cities we chose, we chose also to have a low-risk as far as our maturation. And we’ve been in plenty of small cities for a long time. So, our Western Texas cities and Pac Northwest cities, they’re modest, and we do quite well, Upstate New York. And the key is the small city that is relevant to a place where we have a large customer base. And so, if you look at all these small cities, they’re either in marquee destinations under themselves or they’re relevant to a nearby large Southwest city, where we have a large customer base who would be big purchasers of tickets to these small cities. And so, that’s what’s important to us. And then we want to make sure we go in with at least a level of flight activity that allows for crew efficiencies so that we have origination and terminators that make us not to have crude deadhead that would undermine inefficiency. So, all those things must come together for us to add those new cities. So, I think we’re prepared and it fits with our model, I think, is the answer.

Gary Kelly

Hey Mike. And I just want to pile on very quickly. If we kind of reconcile to 1992 when you work on our secondary offering in those states, if you remember our rule of thumb, but it’s -- we didn’t want to go into a city in the early 1990s, unless we thought we could do, let’s say, 8 departures a day. And so, I wouldn’t translate what we’re doing with these 17 cities as being a violation of even that old rule of thumb, because some of these "small cities," I think, Andrew -- I won’t name names because we may not want to telegraph yet, but there are a handful that I can think of that you might think are small. We’re thinking there are going to be a dozen or more daily departures, into a number of nonstop destinations. So, if you think, the fact that we now have such a large U.S. presence, it makes a lot of these “smaller markets” much more viable today in terms of flight activity than it did 30 years ago.

But, the other thing I would point out is that Miami isn’t small. Bush isn’t small. Colorado Springs isn’t small. O’Haire is not small. So, we do have a few cities that have three or four daily departures on the route map. And I would -- Mike would call those small. And we have experience with them, and we know that they can work. I don’t think that that means that every city like that would work. But, anyway, it’s -- we have been delighted that we could actually have the capacity to put them on the route network here. I got asked earlier today about whether we’ll continue this. And I think Andrew is going to need -- assuming that we continue on our recovery path, he’s going to need to take a lot of these airplanes and put them back into restoring flight activity into our existing network. So, that will challenge our ability to continue doing this play, but they’re permanent adds, and we’re delighted with the performance that we’re seeing.

Tom Nealon

I think, at least just to give a little more -- this is one question, so we’ll move on quickly. So, we’ve got about 45 aircraft or so, Andrew, I think, committed to the new states so far, about 8% of the trips. But as I talk about the business demand thawing, as it begins to thaw, we’re going to need to begin to get our network back in business travel shape. And just to give you a little view, I guess people are asking -- ask us, so what does the -- so when does the network get back to normal? Well, the network is not going to get back to what it was because we had 17 new cities on the network. But, what I can tell you is, when you think about the principles in the characteristics of the Southwest network, those will be intact. Point-to-point, you should expect to see a very similar mix of short, medium, long, a similar mix of direct and connecting traffic. And our focus, once we begin to see business on unthaw is we got to begin to put the depth back into the markets like the St. Louis and Milwaukee’s and intra-Cal [ph] business markets and such. So, it’s going to be an interesting. But that’s also why we’re getting more aircraft. So, we’re going to retire some, going to have some incrementals. So, it’s going to take time, which is fine because business traffic is not going to show up on one Sunday and all of a sudden it’s back. It’s going to take time, and we’ll begin to build our fleet back in our network depth back. You spurred a lively topic their Linenberg. So, thank you.

sprxUSA

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:15 pm

O'Haire? Nice.....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos