Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

av8tiongeek

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:42 pm

AMFA was in the midst of negotiations when chatter of a SAN base was being discussed. Their lounge was already built and crews were invited to visit it on ground time. MX would not move until they ratified their contract and then of course the MAX was grounded and then COVID hit. Any chance someone could ask the powers that be if that is still happening? Thanks.

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Deleted
Last edited by wnflyguy on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

SWADawg

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
AMFA was in the midst of negotiations when chatter of a SAN base was being discussed. Their lounge was already built and crews were invited to visit it on ground time. MX would not move until they ratified their contract and then of course the MAX was grounded and then COVID hit. Any chance someone could ask the powers that be if that is still happening? Thanks.

Nothing other than a Possible Satellite Crew base has ever been discussed by the Company to the Union. And after Several locations being evaluated by WN they picked BNA,TPA and ABQ.
The company did say SAN in the future could be a possible full crew base and would explore the possibilities once a new Terminal 1 is completed.

Flyguy

MX base (AMFA) not FA (IAM).
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

av8tiongeek

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:41 pm

FA are TWU556.

Wneast

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm

barney captain wrote:
Fifty crews (50 CA and 50 FO's) will be added to he LAX etops base and 33 full crews to the LAS etops base for June. Something must be up.

I would imagine we going see the next routes announced next week if they have to load the flights in for the schedule for June for pilots to bid on them right ?

av8tiongeek

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm

[url][/url]
wnflyguy wrote:
Deleted

Thank you.

SWADawg

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:46 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
FA are TWU556.

Yes. Thank you for the correction.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

southwest1675

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm

SWA says TN One is coming back.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:47 pm

barney captain wrote:
Fifty crews (50 CA and 50 FO's) will be added to he LAX etops base and 33 full crews to the LAS etops base for June. Something must be up.

Because the rumor mill is on over drive.
I Piecing a few sources WN and Non WN together today and they all sounds like that LAX,LAS and PHX will be the final 3 Hawaii gateway cities with flights starting soon. No other cities planned until Summer 2022 when the MAX7 Etops gets certification.
LAX,PHX,LAS are all said to each getting a 3 daily Flights each with one being a east bound Red Eye from HNL.
OAK is also said to be increasing to 3 Daily HNL flights with the addition of a daily Red Eye.
PHX and LAS will each have a daily red Eyes from OGG and KOA.
The Additional Hawaii service and red eye will connect Hawaii to 80% of the WN system.

No mainland Red Eyes flights being planned for 2021.
With the decision to pull the trigger on Red Eyes and LAX the talk of Saturday only markets have been pushed back until a later date.

Now this is all rumors And speculation.
So Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Wneast

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:56 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Because the rumor mill on over drive.
I Piecing a few sources WN and Non WN together today and they all sounds like that LAX,LAS and PHX will be the final 3 Hawaii gateway cities with flights starting soon. No other cities planned until Summer 2022 when the MAX7 Etops gets certification.
LAX,PHX,LAS are all said to each getting a 3 daily Flights each with one being a east bound Red Eye from HNL.
OAK is also said to be increasing to 3 Daily HNL flights with the addition of a daily Red Eye.
The Additional Hawaii service and red eye will connect Hawaii to 80% of the WN system.

With the decision to pull the trigger on Red Eyes and LAX the talk of Saturday only markets have been pushed back until a later date.

So Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy

Is SAN and SMF not getting anything else I thought SAN would be getting flights to the other islands ?

wnflyguy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:

So Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy

Is SAN and SMF not getting anything else I thought SAN would be getting flights to the other islands ?

It's definitely a given that SAN will be getting service to OGG,LIH and KOA it was all planned well before the MAX8 grounding and then the Pandemic.

Flyguy

Wneast

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:54 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

So Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy

It's definitely a given that SAN will be getting service to OGG,LIH and KOA it was all planned well before the MAX8 grounding and then the Pandemic.

Flyguy

Ok you are just hearing that those will be the only new cities added we shall see I’m surprise they would only be increasing Oakland to three will just have to wait to see what will happen

pmanni1

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:07 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:

So Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy

Unfortunately many people take rumors and speculation with no sources as fact and will spread this as fact. Then when none or only some of it comes to fruition people are up in arms and oh so disappointed.

Wneast

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 am

wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:

So Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy
what do you think very soon means as what they said to June and July schedule increase with the Hawaii adds on the earnings call, I thought you said they would have to add them by the end of this month to bid for them in June right and they added the etops crews to LAS In June and more elsewhere

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:33 pm

"On June 10, 2021 we will open our schedule for sale through January 5, 2022. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

Also talking about new stations (FAT):

“We’ve been working with Southwest for this day that’s coming up on Sunday for a number of years,” said Meikle. “The ticket sales have been off the charts.”

https://gvwire.com/2021/04/23/fresno-ti ... -airlines/
ORD & IND

AA & DL

wnflyguy

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
"On June 10, 2021 we will open our schedule for sale through January 5, 2022. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

“We’ve been working with Southwest for this day that’s coming up on Sunday for a number of years,” said Meikle. “The ticket sales have been off the charts.”

Thanks for the share.
I had a buddy screen shot the loads in and out of FAT tomorrow. Definitely a higher first day load factor than SBA.
He also sent me a picture of a message that there going to temporary Force base 50 OAK Etops pilots to LAX for June. His understanding on what he has heard is that LAX-Hawaii flying could start on or around June 13, 2021.
And he also doesn't expect LAS and PHX flying to start until July.
Hopefully it's true because it's great to finally have growth announcements again Vs we're cutting another 20 to 30 % off the schedule Dude to poor loads.

Enjoy or Don't!
Flyguy

sldispatcher

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Forgive me for not following the thread closely, but the planned BNA growth with additional gates...that sounds like a lot of growth and connecting/hub activity potential throughout the deep south, Florida and the Midwest.
Not just in frequency increases or adds to existing WN stations, but whole new cities that might not have been considered before.

Is that how the majority on this forum see this?

Jshank83

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:09 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
Forgive me for not following the thread closely, but the planned BNA growth with additional gates...that sounds like a lot of growth and connecting/hub activity potential throughout the deep south, Florida and the Midwest.
Not just in frequency increases or adds to existing WN stations, but whole new cities that might not have been considered before.

They did just add a bunch of new cities in that region already. MIA VPS MYR JAN SRQ SAV ORD IAH (a little bit of a stretch for the region but BNA was added). not saying there won’t be more but they already added a fair amount.

maps4ltd

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:42 pm

I'm confident about WN in FAT. Of the new adds, I'm least confident about BLI. Small area population-wise, leakage to SEA, WN isn't particularly strong in the PNW, and (this is the big one) Canadian cross-border traffic isn't there right now. There were several cities I thought they'd add before BLI (JAC, TYS, EYW, FCA). I wish them the best, but I have my doubts.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

wnflyguy

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:51 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
I'm confident about WN in FAT. Of the new adds, I'm least confident about BLI. Small area population-wise, leakage to SEA, WN isn't particularly strong in the PNW, and (this is the big one) Canadian cross-border traffic isn't there right now. There were several cities I thought they'd add before BLI (JAC, TYS, EYW, FCA). I wish them the best, but I have my doubts.

I honestly don't think you will see a BLI schedule announcement until Canada opens up its board then WN will quickly add the destinations.

Flyguy

Runway765

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:53 pm

sldispatcher wrote:

We'll see. It's not clear yet how many additional gates they will be taking at BNA. Right now, they have 16 gates between C and D (10 on C, all 6 gates on D). Before they can take the rest of Concourse C (their primary concourse), Concourse A has to be rebuilt to move AA out of C. That won't commence until 2024/2025 at the soonest. They'll probably get 2-4 more gates in the interim once the new FIS and the satellite gates open in 2023, but the larger gate gains won't happen until A is rebuilt. Given ATL can't grow much due to the competition from DL, it makes sense for WN to grow BNA into their primary SE station with 200+ flights, but because BNA is behind on improvements, it may be a while before we see it come to fruition.

joeblow10

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:25 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:

I honestly don't think you will see a BLI schedule announcement until Canada opens up its board then WN will quickly add the destinations.

Flyguy

Agreed. BLI is very clearly indicative that WN will not be chasing Canadian traffic by entering Canada. They’re targeting the Canadian vacation traffic from the transborder airports - which is why BUF-LAS/PHX seemed to work well for many years during the winter.

If BLI works out BTV seems to be an obvious add. An outdoorsy vacation spot for Americans but also a potential transborder add for YUL USA-bound traffic looking to save money

FATFlyer

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:44 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Thanks for the share.
I had a buddy screen shot the loads in and out of FAT tomorrow. Definitely a higher first day load factor than SBA.

A public alternative to those first day loads to get a snapshot of how the FAT market is responding would be to look at Fresno flights on May 1 at southwest.com.

For May 1 flights out of Fresno (the first Saturday after service starts), both the FAT-DEN and one of the FAT-LAS flights show as "Unavailable". Selling out 2 of a day's 4 flights after only one week is a quick start.

Some on here had doubts about FAT as a WN market. One day does not tell the overall story. But it may be an indication that this market is not what some thought.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

wnflyguy

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Thanks for the share.

A public alternative to those first day loads to get a snapshot of how the FAT market is responding would be to look at Fresno flights on May 1 at southwest.com.

For May 1 flights out of Fresno (the first Saturday after service starts), both the FAT-DEN and one of the FAT-LAS flights show as "Unavailable". Selling out 2 of a day's 4 flights after only one week is a quick start.

Some on here had doubts about FAT as a WN market. One day does not tell the overall story. But it may be an indication that this market is not what some thought.

So I had my CSA friend screen shot the last week of May bookable seats out of FAT. They're already 80% sold. SBA also at the same level of booking.

Win win for WN.
Flyguy

sldispatcher

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:50 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Thanks for the share.

So I had my CSA friend screen shot the last week of May bookable seats out of FAT. They're already 80% sold. SBA also at the same level of booking.

Win win for WN.
Flyguy

Win win for WN, aviation, FAT, and ‘Merica as a whole

Let’s get out there...

Wneast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Thanks for the share.
He also sent me a picture of a message that there going to temporary Force base 50 OAK Etops pilots to LAX for June. His understanding on what he has heard is that LAX-Hawaii flying could start on or around June 13, 2021.
Hopefully it's true because it's great to finally have growth announcements again Vs we're cutting another 20 to 30 % off the schedule Dude to poor loads.

Enjoy or Don't!
Flyguy
I’m thinking there’s a pending route announcement for next week if all this info is right those two flights were all they had to do for certification no flight all the way to HNL right ? They still aren’t fully etops approved yet right otherwise I see them signing off this week ? Are they starting with just LAX to HNL at least at first ?

barney captain

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:11 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Thanks for the share.

Enjoy or Don't!
Flyguy

As I posted upthread - fifty crews are being added to the etops base in LAX and 33 to OAK, so no, OAK crews are not being forced to LAX. Those 50/33 crews have to come from somewhere however. Since OAK is growing by 33, they won't be coming from there - at least not directly. This will be a system-wide shake up. I have heard nothing about LAX-HI flying.
Southeast Of Disorder

wnflyguy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:22 pm

barney captain wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Thanks for the share.

Enjoy or Don't!
Flyguy

As I posted upthread - fifty crews are being added to the etops base in LAX and 33 to OAK, so no, OAK crews are not being forced to LAX. Those 50/33 crews have to come from somewhere however. Since OAK is growing by 33, they won't be coming from there - at least not directly. This will be a system-wide shake up. I have heard nothing about LAX-HI flying.

Thanks for the update/information.
I heard yesterday that Dual PHX-HNL flights are tentatively scheduled for Monday morning departing PHX at 11:00 AM.
Both will be conducting separate situational simulation. One medical emergency and one a MX Division simulation.
Have heard anything about this ?

Flyguy

barney captain

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:48 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
barney captain wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Thanks for the share.

Enjoy or Don't!
Flyguy

Thanks for the update/information.
I heard yesterday that Dual PHX-HNL flights are tentatively scheduled for Monday morning departing PHX at 11:00 AM.
Both will be conducting separate situational simulation. One medical emergency and one a MX Division simulation.
Have heard anything about this ?

Flyguy

I haven't, and I don't see anything on the schedules of the pilots who would most likely be doing them.
Southeast Of Disorder

av8tiongeek

Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:42 pm

Huge schedule change tomorrow. Stay tuned.

AC4500

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

Are they extending the current schedule or updating the summer schedule?

Jshank83

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 pm

AC4500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Updating

av8tiongeek

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:32 pm

All I know is that reservations have been told to expect mandatory overtime. Time will tell.

SteveXC500

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
All I know is that reservations have been told to expect mandatory overtime. Time will tell.

So that’s a big reduction in flying then? Assuming they will need to rebook lots of people, hence mandatory OT.

Wneast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:34 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

Anyone think that they could update with further Hawaii routes they said that would be done really soon last week so I would say there’s a chance for that and probably more flying from the new cities

wnflyguy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:37 pm

AC4500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

June,July and Aug increase in flying.
Flyguy

Wneast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:41 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

June,July and Aug increase in flying.
Flyguy

Wnflyguy you have any ideas of what will be added the Hawaii flying ?

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:44 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

So that’s a big reduction in flying then? Assuming they will need to rebook lots of people, hence mandatory OT.

The opposite, bumping up to almost exactly 2019 levels
ORD & IND

AA & DL

wnflyguy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

The mandatory OT is to help rebook Hawaii affected passengers. Tomorrow there supposed to unveil the Revamped Hawaii expansion. According to sources All the inter island flights and mainland connections will be retimed to accommodate the increase in Mainland gateway cities. Sounds like all of the Hawaii flights are being retimed to free up gate space for new destinations And flights.

Flyguy

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 pm

New routes loaded for far:

IND/CMH-MIA
STL-SRQ/VPS
ORD & IND

AA & DL

SteveXC500

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:30 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
Midwestindy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

What time period does this cover?

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:37 pm

More:

IND-ECP

SteveXC500 wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
Midwestindy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

June
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Wneast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:39 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
More:

IND-ECP

SteveXC500 wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
Midwestindy wrote:

June

There already loading in routes ?

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:42 pm

Wneast wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
More:

IND-ECP

SteveXC500 wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]

June

There already loading in routes ?

Look at the week of June 6-12

MKE/MCI-MIA added
ORD & IND

AA & DL

AC4500

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:53 pm

SEA-BNA increased to daily (was just Sat. only before).

In fact, Seattle as a whole looks surprisingly strong for WN.

Wneast

Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 pm

BOI to DAL
MDW to GEG
SNA to GEG sounds like the Pacific Northwest is winning
BOI to MDW
BOI to SNA

Silver1SWA

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:14 am

wnflyguy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

The mandatory OT is to help rebook Hawaii affected passengers. Tomorrow there supposed to unveil the Revamped Hawaii expansion. According to sources All the inter island flights and mainland connections will be retimed to accommodate the increase in Mainland gateway cities. Sounds like all of the Hawaii flights are being retimed to free up gate space for new destinations And flights.

Flyguy

I’m curious what they’ll be able to do. The 4 gates in HNL are occupied nonstop from 700 til 1500 with arrival banks stepping on each other.
Last edited by Silver1SWA on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Wneast

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Flyguy

I’m curious what they’ll be able to do. The 4 gates in HNL are occupied nonstop from 700 til 1500 with arrival banks stepping on each other. Lord help us if they reduce turn times even more. ETOPS in ETOPS out are a real struggle with current turn times and staffing.

I heard that they have secured time on two jetways if I’m not wrong ?

ytib

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:18 am

Wneast wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I’m curious what they’ll be able to do. The 4 gates in HNL are occupied nonstop from 700 til 1500 with arrival banks stepping on each other. Lord help us if they reduce turn times even more. ETOPS in ETOPS out are a real struggle with current turn times and staffing.

Source?
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

Wneast

Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:19 am

ytib wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

Source?

I heard in this thread that’s why I said I’m not for sure, I mean they don’t really have room at there 4 handstands so I don’t know how else they would add all the flights ?