Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Has the June 20-26 routes started being loaded in yet ?


Yes

Are they be loaded now
 
timberwolf24
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2001 8:38 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:27 pm

iAvgeek737 wrote:
delta777er wrote:
Some routes I have seen added recently.
JAN - MCO
IAH - TPA
ORD - FLL
DEN - SAV



With JAN-MCO does that bring back all the original JAN destinations from WN's previous service?


No, MDW was served from JAN
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 6230
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 pm

delta777er wrote:
Some routes I have seen added recently.
JAN - MCO
IAH - TPA
ORD - FLL
DEN - SAV




I missed this one :shock: ORD-AUS
 
WN732
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:09 am

Midwestindy wrote:
delta777er wrote:
Some routes I have seen added recently.
JAN - MCO
IAH - TPA
ORD - FLL
DEN - SAV




I missed this one :shock: ORD-AUS


I had a feeling that would eventually happen. The battle of Austin continues!
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 am

tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Fly123123 wrote:

Thank you. You are right. Service has been reduced from daily to Sa and Su only.

SAT-FLL was reduced to Weekend only service with a bunch of other markets since last Fall because of the pandemic and lack of cuisine ship traffic.

But if you listen to the B6 fans they will swear WN is losing to B6 and retreating from FLL. When all WN did was scale down to meet that new demand that's now less with no Business traffic or lucrative Cruise ships traffic. FLL doubles its S/Su flight schedule vs the current slower M-F.
The Cruise ship industry is currently in the final stages with the CDC to approve Only fully vaccinated passengers for travel. Once everything is completed there hoping to resume sailing by July or Aug.
Then you will see Everyone including WN return mid week flying.

Flyguy


That's the reality. Take a look at how many flights NK and B6 are operating for June out of FLL. Keep up with the excuses.


And look at the 1st quarter results. Still losing quite a bit of cash for an airline of their size, and with the government aid. Just because you’re running the flights doesn’t mean it’s a good idea... in the case of B6, all of their eggs are in 4 baskets. JFK, BOS, MCO, and FLL.

Pre-pandemic, 4/2019 - 3/2020 market share
B6 21.33%
WN 20.62%

Pandemic 2/2020 - 1/2021 9most recent available)
B6 16.59%
WN 16.50%

Courtesy of transtats.bts.gov
 
tphuang
Posts: 6629
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:34 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
SAT-FLL was reduced to Weekend only service with a bunch of other markets since last Fall because of the pandemic and lack of cuisine ship traffic.

But if you listen to the B6 fans they will swear WN is losing to B6 and retreating from FLL. When all WN did was scale down to meet that new demand that's now less with no Business traffic or lucrative Cruise ships traffic. FLL doubles its S/Su flight schedule vs the current slower M-F.
The Cruise ship industry is currently in the final stages with the CDC to approve Only fully vaccinated passengers for travel. Once everything is completed there hoping to resume sailing by July or Aug.
Then you will see Everyone including WN return mid week flying.

Flyguy


That's the reality. Take a look at how many flights NK and B6 are operating for June out of FLL. Keep up with the excuses.


And look at the 1st quarter results. Still losing quite a bit of cash for an airline of their size, and with the government aid. Just because you’re running the flights doesn’t mean it’s a good idea... in the case of B6, all of their eggs are in 4 baskets. JFK, BOS, MCO, and FLL.

Pre-pandemic, 4/2019 - 3/2020 market share
B6 21.33%
WN 20.62%

Pandemic 2/2020 - 1/2021 9most recent available)
B6 16.59%
WN 16.50%

Courtesy of transtats.bts.gov


The big gap in the number of flights they operate won't show up until the latest month is like July/August. NK and B6 (especially NK) really started to operate more flights than WN out of FLL this year.. None of what you posted changes the fact that FLL is becoming just another Florida station for WN.

If you look at yesterday out of FLL.
NK had 84 flights
B6 had 66 flights
WN had 46 flights

The story is quite clear. NK is taking the lead at FLL and already at close to their pre-pandemic level of flying. B6 is taking their time to recover FLL, because it has more important priorities (NYC). FLL is way down in WN's list of priorities.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:36 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
SAT-FLL was reduced to Weekend only service with a bunch of other markets since last Fall because of the pandemic and lack of cuisine ship traffic.

But if you listen to the B6 fans they will swear WN is losing to B6 and retreating from FLL. When all WN did was scale down to meet that new demand that's now less with no Business traffic or lucrative Cruise ships traffic. FLL doubles its S/Su flight schedule vs the current slower M-F.
The Cruise ship industry is currently in the final stages with the CDC to approve Only fully vaccinated passengers for travel. Once everything is completed there hoping to resume sailing by July or Aug.
Then you will see Everyone including WN return mid week flying.

Flyguy


That's the reality. Take a look at how many flights NK and B6 are operating for June out of FLL. Keep up with the excuses.


And look at the 1st quarter results. Still losing quite a bit of cash for an airline of their size, and with the government aid. Just because you’re running the flights doesn’t mean it’s a good idea... in the case of B6, all of their eggs are in 4 baskets. JFK, BOS, MCO, and FLL.

Pre-pandemic, 4/2019 - 3/2020 market share
B6 21.33%
WN 20.62%

Pandemic 2/2020 - 1/2021 9most recent available)
B6 16.59%
WN 16.50%

Courtesy of transtats.bts.gov

...And Spirit continues to dominate them both with 32.17% market share. I remember it used to be pretty close between the three airlines.
 
hbernal1
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:47 am

WN732 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
delta777er wrote:
Some routes I have seen added recently.
JAN - MCO
IAH - TPA
ORD - FLL
DEN - SAV




I missed this one :shock: ORD-AUS


I had a feeling that would eventually happen. The battle of Austin continues!

AUS-ORD??? WN really didn't like AA announcing a whole slew of new routes, did they?
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 am

Midwestindy wrote:
delta777er wrote:
Some routes I have seen added recently.
JAN - MCO
IAH - TPA
ORD - FLL
DEN - SAV




I missed this one :shock: ORD-AUS

Did anyone see anything else ? Or will see more adds tomorrow?
 
phllax
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:27 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Has the June 20-26 routes started being loaded in yet ?


Yes


It looks like June 20 changes hit this afternoon.
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:29 am

phllax wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Has the June 20-26 routes started being loaded in yet ?


Yes


It looks like June 20 changes hit this afternoon.

Was there very many adds I couldn’t find any or any
 
pmanni1
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am

Wneast wrote:
phllax wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes


It looks like June 20 changes hit this afternoon.

Was there very many adds I couldn’t find any or any

SNA - MCI,STL
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Wneast wrote:
phllax wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes


It looks like June 20 changes hit this afternoon.

Was there very many adds I couldn’t find any or any


It’s the same adds as the 2 previous weeks. They just push the same schedule out another week each day.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm

WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy

I’m thinking they will do it in mostly likely before the press release Tomorrow if your talking about Hawaii flying but we don’t even know if the etops when it’s being given for the max
Last edited by Wneast on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy


I’m assuming any major June changes were made in this release. Besides maybe a few late frequency adds like they have been doing.

I also would think they don’t NEED red eyes yet until things pick up a bit more and they need red eyes to add capacity. Not sure being below 2019 captaincy still means they need to add them in.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:34 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy

That would only add that capability to the -700 fleet, not the -800/MAX8 fleet until later this year when they are also transitioned into Maintenix. So, I doubt you will see any red eyes added to the June schedule update tomorrow. I also don’t think you will see additional Hawaii flying firmed up until MAX8 ETOPS certification is complete with official approval in hand.
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:20 pm

SWADawg wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy

That would only add that capability to the -700 fleet, not the -800/MAX8 fleet until later this year when they are also transitioned into Maintenix. So, I doubt you will see any red eyes added to the June schedule update tomorrow. I also don’t think you will see additional Hawaii flying firmed up until MAX8 ETOPS certification is complete with official approval in hand.

Is WN ETOPS supposed to have certification for the MAX8 certification in hand soon I feel like we have been hearing for a couple weeks that it was going to be done soon ?
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Wneast wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy

That would only add that capability to the -700 fleet, not the -800/MAX8 fleet until later this year when they are also transitioned into Maintenix. So, I doubt you will see any red eyes added to the June schedule update tomorrow. I also don’t think you will see additional Hawaii flying firmed up until MAX8 ETOPS certification is complete with official approval in hand.

Is WN ETOPS supposed to have certification for the MAX8 certification in hand soon I feel like we have been hearing for a couple weeks that it was going to be done soon ?


Probably the same people that have been saying Breeze was going to announce a schedule this week each week for the last 8 weeks. It will come eventually but don’t be impatient.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Wneast wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
WN has successfully transferred the entire 700 fleet aircraft over to its new Maintenix tracking system. This will now give WN 24hrs operational flexibility without the dreadful daily 0300 Herb reboot. So question is will WN finally pull the trigger on this slooooooooooooow summer schedule release and add Red Eyes?

Flyguy

That would only add that capability to the -700 fleet, not the -800/MAX8 fleet until later this year when they are also transitioned into Maintenix. So, I doubt you will see any red eyes added to the June schedule update tomorrow. I also don’t think you will see additional Hawaii flying firmed up until MAX8 ETOPS certification is complete with official approval in hand.

Is WN ETOPS supposed to have certification for the MAX8 certification in hand soon I feel like we have been hearing for a couple weeks that it was going to be done soon ?


You can’t put a specific date or timeline on these things. It’s a process and they’ll obtain certification when all steps of the process are satisfied. Nobody can say when that will be which is why it’s very unlikely an announcement of new service will come until approval is obtained.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:02 am

Schedule Updated thru July 3rd now.
 
OKCDCA
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:30 am

WN averaged a 52% load factor at COS in March. I retract my earlier statement as to why there haven’t been any adds to COS yet...
https://gazette.com/business/southwest- ... W_W2-LeRTY
 
WN732
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 am

Saw a MAX8 with ETOPS painted on the nose gear door. Was informed that the future ETOPS birds are also now in the ETOPS mx rotation along with the -800 fleet. Must be getting close now to certification.
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 am

WN732 wrote:
Saw a MAX8 with ETOPS painted on the nose gear door. Was informed that the future ETOPS birds are also now in the ETOPS mx rotation along with the -800 fleet. Must be getting close now to certification.

I feel like this is pointing towards the certification did this happen on the 800s before they were handed the etops certification or after ?
 
ytib
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:25 am

Wneast wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Saw a MAX8 with ETOPS painted on the nose gear door. Was informed that the future ETOPS birds are also now in the ETOPS mx rotation along with the -800 fleet. Must be getting close now to certification.

I feel like this is pointing towards the certification did this happen on the 800s before they were handed the etops certification or after ?


No this does not mean this at all.

As part of the certification process the maintenance of the ETOPS specified aircraft is also monitored prior to approval.

You do not take an aircraft and call it ETOPS then throw it on a route the next day, it is a lengthy process for this all to take place. It is also why there are ETOPS pilot bases as well.

While this has probably been updated since 2008, it still does provide an understanding of the process.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 135-42.pdf
 
WN732
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:41 am

ytib wrote:
Wneast wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Saw a MAX8 with ETOPS painted on the nose gear door. Was informed that the future ETOPS birds are also now in the ETOPS mx rotation along with the -800 fleet. Must be getting close now to certification.

I feel like this is pointing towards the certification did this happen on the 800s before they were handed the etops certification or after ?


No this does not mean this at all.

As part of the certification process the maintenance of the ETOPS specified aircraft is also monitored prior to approval.

You do not take an aircraft and call it ETOPS then throw it on a route the next day, it is a lengthy process for this all to take place. It is also why there are ETOPS pilot bases as well.

While this has probably been updated since 2008, it still does provide an understanding of the process.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 135-42.pdf


Right, not saying that it's complete, just that we are getting close to finishing the certification. Especially since WN already has experience with ETOPS.

In other news, I haven't seen it here yet, but WN added TPA-IAH Saturday only. Forgive me if that was already brought out.
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:58 am

WN732 wrote:
ytib wrote:
Wneast wrote:
I feel like this is pointing towards the certification did this happen on the 800s before they were handed the etops certification or after ?


No this does not mean this at all.

As part of the certification process the maintenance of the ETOPS specified aircraft is also monitored prior to approval.

You do not take an aircraft and call it ETOPS then throw it on a route the next day, it is a lengthy process for this all to take place. It is also why there are ETOPS pilot bases as well.

While this has probably been updated since 2008, it still does provide an understanding of the process.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 135-42.pdf


Right, not saying that it's complete, just that we are getting close to finishing the certification. Especially since WN already has experience with ETOPS.

In other news, I haven't seen it here yet, but WN added TPA-IAH Saturday only. Forgive me if that was already brought out.


I doubt FAA is inclined to sign off on MAX ETOPS for any carrier until the electrical issue is resolved. Once those birds start flying again, certification is likely soon to follow.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
WN732 wrote:
ytib wrote:

No this does not mean this at all.

As part of the certification process the maintenance of the ETOPS specified aircraft is also monitored prior to approval.

You do not take an aircraft and call it ETOPS then throw it on a route the next day, it is a lengthy process for this all to take place. It is also why there are ETOPS pilot bases as well.

While this has probably been updated since 2008, it still does provide an understanding of the process.
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 135-42.pdf


Right, not saying that it's complete, just that we are getting close to finishing the certification. Especially since WN already has experience with ETOPS.

In other news, I haven't seen it here yet, but WN added TPA-IAH Saturday only. Forgive me if that was already brought out.


I doubt FAA is inclined to sign off on MAX ETOPS for any carrier until the electrical issue is resolved. Once those birds start flying again, certification is likely soon to follow.

I don’t think one has anything to do with the other. The electrical issue only affects a small subset of Aircraft. None of the ETOPS birds currently in service with WN are on that list. The FAA just moves at their own pace, but I highly doubt that they are waiting to approve WN ETOPS authorization because of a wiring issue on a few frames that aren’t being operated in the ETOPS operation to begin with.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 6230
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Route map tool updated, as I said on Monday, I expect the release today
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:12 pm

SWADawg wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
WN732 wrote:

Right, not saying that it's complete, just that we are getting close to finishing the certification. Especially since WN already has experience with ETOPS.

In other news, I haven't seen it here yet, but WN added TPA-IAH Saturday only. Forgive me if that was already brought out.


I doubt FAA is inclined to sign off on MAX ETOPS for any carrier until the electrical issue is resolved. Once those birds start flying again, certification is likely soon to follow.

I don’t think one has anything to do with the other. The electrical issue only affects a small subset of Aircraft. None of the ETOPS birds currently in service with WN are on that list. The FAA just moves at their own pace, but I highly doubt that they are waiting to approve WN ETOPS authorization because of a wiring issue on a few frames that aren’t being operated in the ETOPS operation to begin with.


If that is the case then I’m sure we will see proving flights resume any day now.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:35 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Route map tool updated, as I said on Monday, I expect the release today


Zilch for MSP. Oh well, good to see other growth happening.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Well while June had some interesting stuff.
It's definitely full of capacity cuts vs adds.
Original 3800 flights now 3200 flights.

Flyguy
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:43 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well while June had some interesting stuff.
It's definitely full of capacity cuts vs adds.
Original 3800 flights now 3200 flights.

Flyguy

I thought they said they would be at 2019 capacity and is there a press release happening don’t they usually do it by this time ?
 
Dtwramp
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Usually not a press conference to announce flight reductions. As far as capacity additions to be close to 2019 well the math is very fuzzy.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Dtwramp wrote:
Usually not a press conference to announce flight reductions. As far as capacity additions to be close to 2019 well the math is very fuzzy.


I could see a release to announce all the new routes. It doesn’t need to mention reductions.
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:03 pm

Dtwramp wrote:
Usually not a press conference to announce flight reductions. As far as capacity additions to be close to 2019 well the math is very fuzzy.

But would they not announce the new routes ?
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Well while June had some interesting stuff.
It's definitely full of capacity cuts vs adds.
Original 3800 flights now 3200 flights.

Flyguy

I thought they said they would be at 2019 capacity and is there a press release happening don’t they usually do it by this time ?


I honestly don't know.
We know a Hawaii expansion is coming once the MAX8 Etops certification is achieved.
But this schedule adjustment seems to be just for June.
July as of now is still showing 3800 flights scheduled.
Maybe the MAX8 wire grounding is playing more into this than they let on during the conference call.

What I'm baffled on is that there still hasn't been a press release for at least new additional non stop flights. This close out maybe there cutting advertising cost going with just word of mouth.

I've also heard some lengthy delays have been happening yesterday and this morning with Tech Ops dealing with the new Maintenix system.
Maybe the WN went with a more Reduced schedule release for June to add more Flexibility with Aircraft swaps until they work out that bugs.

Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:08 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Well while June had some interesting stuff.
It's definitely full of capacity cuts vs adds.
Original 3800 flights now 3200 flights.

Flyguy

I thought they said they would be at 2019 capacity and is there a press release happening don’t they usually do it by this time ?


I honestly don't know.
We know a Hawaii expansion is coming once MAX8 Etops certification is achieved.
But this schedule adjustment seems to be just for June.
July as of now is still showing 3800 flights scheduled.
Maybe the MAX8 wire grounding is playing more into this than they let on during the conference call.

What I'm baffled on is that there still hasn't been a press release for at least new additional non stop flights. This close out maybe there cutting advertising cost going with just word of mouth.

Flyguy

This is very weird on what ever there doing I don’t think this would be for the Hawaii expansion but maybe they don’t when they are getting the etops achieved so there just loading new flights in but then would they sell as many tickets when half the people don’t even know about the flights ?
 
Dtwramp
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 pm

There have been multiple revisions to the schedules ,lately with additional flights sometimes weekly and they aren't always accompanied by a press release.
 
Dtwramp
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:58 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:13 pm

hopefully we don't have to wait until june 10 for new announcements
 
Wneast
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:14 pm

Dtwramp wrote:
There have been multiple revisions to the schedules ,lately with additional flights sometimes weekly and they aren't always accompanied by a press release.

There is over 25 new routes though I don’t think you just pop those in the schedule and don’t say anything ?
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 pm

No airports have announced new routes either. So I assume WN has told them to wait. I’d guess if nothing comes out today still we will see something tomorrow.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 6230
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:30 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
No airports have announced new routes either. So I assume WN has told them to wait. I’d guess if nothing comes out today still we will see something tomorrow.


Interesting they didn't officially announce anything today, I assumed they would, but they've already loaded the flights so we likely won't learn anything new from a press release regardless.

Dtwramp wrote:
There have been multiple revisions to the schedules ,lately with additional flights sometimes weekly and they aren't always accompanied by a press release.


Additional flights and additional routes are two different things, one is more noteworthy than the other.

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Well while June had some interesting stuff.
It's definitely full of capacity cuts vs adds.
Original 3800 flights now 3200 flights.

Flyguy

I thought they said they would be at 2019 capacity and is there a press release happening don’t they usually do it by this time ?


a) Flights & ASMs are not the same thing, WN said their June ASMs will be at 96% of 2019
b) Not sure on the exact # of flights, but if they follow a similar pattern as the past 12 months, they hold some capacity back to add in frequencies later on routes that are performing well closer to departure date.
 
tphuang
Posts: 6629
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:59 pm

the stage lengths could be longer vs 2019, since a lot of the short haul business routes flown mostly by 737-700 are down in demand. They are probably replaced by 2 to 4 hour flights to Florida or other leisure destinations. So you could have a lot fewer flights, but about the same capacity level.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 pm

There's a lot of random adds buried in the thread for the past few days, so I'm gonna try to sum up the new adds from a couple of cities (using the route map tool):

From Miami:
AUS, CMH, HOU, MCI, MKE, MSY

From Chicago-O'Hare:
AUS, FLL, LAS, RSW, TPA

From St. Louis:
SAV, SNA, SRQ, VPS
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9880
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pm

tphuang wrote:
the stage lengths could be longer vs 2019, since a lot of the short haul business routes flown mostly by 737-700 are down in demand. They are probably replaced by 2 to 4 hour flights to Florida or other leisure destinations. So you could have a lot fewer flights, but about the same capacity level.


Stage length is reported in the earnings press release.

1Q19, 751 miles

1Q21, 772 miles
 
CMHtraveler
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
There's a lot of random adds buried in the thread for the past few days, so I'm gonna try to sum up the new adds from a couple of cities (using the route map tool):

From Miami:
AUS, CMH, HOU, MCI, MKE, MSY

From Chicago-O'Hare:
AUS, FLL, LAS, RSW, TPA

From St. Louis:
SAV, SNA, SRQ, VPS


According to the route map tool CMH/IND-ECP have been added as well.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:41 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
There's a lot of random adds buried in the thread for the past few days, so I'm gonna try to sum up the new adds from a couple of cities (using the route map tool):

From Miami:
AUS, CMH, HOU, MCI, MKE, MSY

From Chicago-O'Hare:
AUS, FLL, LAS, RSW, TPA

From St. Louis:
SAV, SNA, SRQ, VPS


Mci- Mia/VPS/SNA/SRQ
 
jplatts
Posts: 4711
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:30 pm

Here is the current breakdown of WN service out of DAL in June 2021 (as of 4/29/2021):
3x ABQ, 3x AMA, 4x ATL, 6x AUS, 2x BHM, 5x BNA, 1x BOI, 1x BUR, 4x BWI, 2x CHS, 1x CLT, 1x CMH, 3x COS, 2x DCA, 9x DEN, 2x ECP, 4x ELP, 3x FLL, 10x HOU, 1x HRL, 6x IAH, 1x IND, 7x LAS, 5x LAX, 4x LBB, 2x LGA, 1x LGB, 2x LIT, 3x MAF, 4x MCI, 7x MDW, 1x MEM, 2x MIA, 1x MKE, 1x MSP, 5x MSY, 2x OAK, 1x OMA, 1x ONT, 4x ORD, 1x PDX, 8x PHX, 2x PNS, 1x RNO, 2x RSW, 4x SAN, 6x SAT, 1x SAV, 1x SDF, 1x SEA, 2x SJC, 2x SLC, 1x SMF, 1x SNA, 4x STL, 3x TPA, 3x TUL, 1x VPS

DAL-PHL/PIT/RDU still suspended
171 daily departures in June 2021
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4458
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 am

Schedule pushed thru July 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos