Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
Sooooooo the flights aren't posted for sale yet but Southwest will be offering nonstop service to Hawaii in the last week of June....They are posted on crewmembers bid lines for June but this hasn't been announced nor posted for sale yet....STAY TUNED!!!
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

With no additional Islands served from SAN? We just get one HNL flight I guess?

Thank you WN for promises unkept..... I'll remember next time I book a flight.

bb


Next month...
2x SAN-HNL
1x SAN-OGG

I’m guessing this is pending max8 etops approval.

There also adding KOA and LIH to SAN
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7691
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Southwest's Top Ten Connecting Airports

Wed May 05, 2021 3:26 am

Italianflyer wrote:
I'm surprised STL is so down on the list. But let's get real, WN sells some pretty off the wall connections via random 'focus cities'.
Ex: a last minute SDF to LAS offered a BWI connect option. Another fun one was SDF to STL via MCO. I guess if they offer it people must be buying it.

Last minute stuff can lead to some pretty weird routings, especially if it's IROPS. When I was a WN CSA in DEN, I had people misconnect heading to IND on the last nonstop of the day. The option I resorted to for them since a STL or MDW option weren't viable was to send them to MCO for an overnight then off to IND first thing in the morning. MCO-IND was actually the first WN arrival into IND for that day around 0700 I believe. They were very cool about the offering and took me up on it.

Some not so cool customers I had for a last minute connection were some people coming from STL to get to SEA. My sup told my ops agent to pull the jetbridges and close the flight while these people were at the gate fighting with me and my sup. Fighting with me so much that they were almost yelling at me to find another seat and I told them there weren't any because the flight had closed and was as good as gone. Somehow there was an extra LAS segment that night and I managed to get the group of 9 on the flight to LAS then I had to split to a group of 4 and another of 5 to SEA. One group went nonstop and the other went via SMF. Low and behold, a couple hours later the FO of the LAS flight called fatigue and me and other CSAs had to deal with reaccomodating that flight and guess which group of people came up to me... They were insinuating it was my fault and blah blah blah and wanted compensation for a wx delay (inbound came in late) and that they were going to fly another airline blah blah blah. Upon the second try of rebooking, I found the only viable way was to send them on DEN-BWI-SEA. They were totally not happy with that. I believe they ended up flying DL via blah

Last outstanding last minute work around was when DEN had a nasty windstorm which messed everything up. A customer came up to me at the counter trying to get to LAX. His first flight cancelled and everything was oversold. I offered DEN-BNA-LAX which he gladly took and he totally understood because turns out he was a former airline employee for Arik Air.

Another stand out is when I had a girl totally flip and start crying when I offered DEN-PHX-EWR with an overnight in PHX when DEN-LGA cancelled. She waivered so long over the last remaining seat until she for some reason had to consult her parents. I had her go to the side since I had a while planes worth of pax to work with. I offered the guy after her the same thing and he gladly took that last seat.

Moral of the story is, when you have a paid ticket, the staff will bend over backwards for you provided you do your part and don't act outrageous. Be happy you're still getting there.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 am

MAX8 Etops certification flight scheduled May 5th
8725 OAK 07:30-10:15 HNL
May 6
8725 HNL 07:30-19:50 DAL

Sources saying if nothing arises from these 2 flights following a debrief table top discussion on MAY 7 Etops certification should be approved by close of business.

Fingers crossed

Enjoy joy or Don't
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
MAX8 Etops certification flight scheduled May 5th
8725 OAK 07:30-10:15 HNL
May 6
8725 HNL 07:30-19:50 DAL

Sources saying if nothing arises from these 2 flights following a debrief table top discussion on MAY 7 Etops certification should be approved by close of business.

Fingers crossed

Enjoy joy or Don't
Flyguy


Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest's Top Ten Connecting Airports

Wed May 05, 2021 12:50 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:
I'm surprised STL is so down on the list. But let's get real, WN sells some pretty off the wall connections via random 'focus cities'.
Ex: a last minute SDF to LAS offered a BWI connect option. Another fun one was SDF to STL via MCO. I guess if they offer it people must be buying it.

Last minute stuff can lead to some pretty weird routings, especially if it's IROPS. When I was a WN CSA in DEN, I had people misconnect heading to IND on the last nonstop of the day. The option I resorted to for them since a STL or MDW option weren't viable was to send them to MCO for an overnight then off to IND first thing in the morning. MCO-IND was actually the first WN arrival into IND for that day around 0700 I believe. They were very cool about the offering and took me up on it.

Some not so cool customers I had for a last minute connection were some people coming from STL to get to SEA. My sup told my ops agent to pull the jetbridges and close the flight while these people were at the gate fighting with me and my sup. Fighting with me so much that they were almost yelling at me to find another seat and I told them there weren't any because the flight had closed and was as good as gone. Somehow there was an extra LAS segment that night and I managed to get the group of 9 on the flight to LAS then I had to split to a group of 4 and another of 5 to SEA. One group went nonstop and the other went via SMF. Low and behold, a couple hours later the FO of the LAS flight called fatigue and me and other CSAs had to deal with reaccomodating that flight and guess which group of people came up to me... They were insinuating it was my fault and blah blah blah and wanted compensation for a wx delay (inbound came in late) and that they were going to fly another airline blah blah blah. Upon the second try of rebooking, I found the only viable way was to send them on DEN-BWI-SEA. They were totally not happy with that. I believe they ended up flying DL via blah

Last outstanding last minute work around was when DEN had a nasty windstorm which messed everything up. A customer came up to me at the counter trying to get to LAX. His first flight cancelled and everything was oversold. I offered DEN-BNA-LAX which he gladly took and he totally understood because turns out he was a former airline employee for Arik Air.

Another stand out is when I had a girl totally flip and start crying when I offered DEN-PHX-EWR with an overnight in PHX when DEN-LGA cancelled. She waivered so long over the last remaining seat until she for some reason had to consult her parents. I had her go to the side since I had a while planes worth of pax to work with. I offered the guy after her the same thing and he gladly took that last seat.

Moral of the story is, when you have a paid ticket, the staff will bend over backwards for you provided you do your part and don't act outrageous. Be happy you're still getting there.


Awesome shares.
When I was a WN Ops agent back in my day in Orange County during the historical LAX tracon fire.
Our last SJC and LAS flights weren't going to make the dreadful 10pm curfew that the airport wasn't willing to budge even with that ATC mess.
I noticed that between the last 4 scheduled flights including a OAK and PHX flight we had a total 244 passengers. I called Dispatch and convinced them to add 2 separate flag stops by combining flights.
They ended up flying one flight SNA-SJC-OAK and the other SNA-LAS-PHX getting all the passengers to there destinations that night. My plan allowed dispatch to cancel the 2 delayed outbound Flights allowing us to have enough scheduled RON for the night and recover operations the next morning.
Almost everyone was happy with my outside looking in problem solving plan. A few OAK and PHX passengers wrote Nasty letters to WN for the extras stops. But the good letters from the LAS and SJC passengers helped me bring to light the win win situation for my I.R. I had to complete for HDQ explaining the situation since it was obvious that WN Complaint letter department and the good letter department didn't talk to each other in HDQ.
The most upset 10 people about the situation were the flight crews from each of the cancelled flight because they both ended up with a unscheduled overnight in SNA vs ending up back in there domiciles later that night.

Unscheduled overnight Karma would later come back to haunt me many times as flight attendant being the short stick recipient to accommodate operational needs.

Can't win them all!

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:18 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
MAX8 Etops certification flight scheduled May 5th
8725 OAK 07:30-10:15 HNL
May 6
8725 HNL 07:30-19:50 DAL

Sources saying if nothing arises from these 2 flights following a debrief table top discussion on MAY 7 Etops certification should be approved by close of business.

Fingers crossed

Enjoy joy or Don't
Flyguy


Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.

Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
MAX8 Etops certification flight scheduled May 5th
8725 OAK 07:30-10:15 HNL
May 6
8725 HNL 07:30-19:50 DAL

Sources saying if nothing arises from these 2 flights following a debrief table top discussion on MAY 7 Etops certification should be approved by close of business.

Fingers crossed

Enjoy joy or Don't
Flyguy


Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.

Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


I'd get my CC out but WN won't let you book online from MSP, since there is zero way to get there or back without extra nights built in.
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
MAX8 Etops certification flight scheduled May 5th
8725 OAK 07:30-10:15 HNL
May 6
8725 HNL 07:30-19:50 DAL

Sources saying if nothing arises from these 2 flights following a debrief table top discussion on MAY 7 Etops certification should be approved by close of business.

Fingers crossed

Enjoy joy or Don't
Flyguy


Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.

Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


My money is on WN acquiring HA. This would hurt B6 since they are the codeshare from the west coast, but would be fantastic for WN. Pilots have been discussing the change from A330 to 787 as a Gary Kelly move since day one. Time will tell.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 714
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.

Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


My money is on WN acquiring HA. This would hurt B6 since they are the codeshare from the west coast, but would be fantastic for WN. Pilots have been discussing the change from A330 to 787 as a Gary Kelly move since day one. Time will tell.

I actually didn’t think WN would acquire HA. Now, I’m not so sure anymore. I think the chances are now better than 50/50 of an acquisition of HA in the next 12-18 months.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 pm

Look at the expansion by both the past few months. AUS and MCO for HA and they have JFK/BOS/SEA/PDX. WN serves ORD and IAH. Tomorrow WN runs HNL to DAL on Max 8. The question is how does SWAPA respond to the international codeshares. Red eyes are coming.
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm

HA also doesn't serve DEN. WN has been telling crew members for months that DEN will be the largest base in history with up to 3000 FA. LAX base is only 900 but would grow with the acquisition.
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:51 pm

New hangars to house from 3-6 737's...or how many A330 or 787. DEN, HOU and PHX have new hangars.
 
737max8
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.

Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


I'd get my CC out but WN won't let you book online from MSP, since there is zero way to get there or back without extra nights built in.


You can book MSP-Hawaii and Hawaii-MSP using the multi-city option with just one night on the return. You may able able to get to DEN on the return so it's one and done the next morning.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
Runway765
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:21 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


My money is on WN acquiring HA. This would hurt B6 since they are the codeshare from the west coast, but would be fantastic for WN. Pilots have been discussing the change from A330 to 787 as a Gary Kelly move since day one. Time will tell.

I actually didn’t think WN would acquire HA. Now, I’m not so sure anymore. I think the chances are now better than 50/50 of an acquisition of HA in the next 12-18 months.


Yeah, zero chance a HA acquisition is happening. Way too many integration issues. What would they do with all the airbus aircraft?
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Diversify their fleet FINALLY.
 
Runway765
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:21 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 2:19 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.


So should B6 diversify their fleet to include some MAX’s?

An HA acquisition would kill their business model.
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 2:23 pm

WN is expanding like crazy and deliveries are essentially replacing retired a/c. They need planes one way or another. 45 days and counting.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.

WN next 10yr plan has them remaining Solo.
They even shot down the MAX9 and MAX10 speculation during there last conference call point blank saying a bigger aircraft doesn't fit there business model.
Also I don't think the under a Democratic House and senate DOT wouldn't approve it since it would give WN a huge monopoly on the Hawaii market.

If anyone were to Buy Hawaiian I'd place my Bets on JetBlue down the road.

I honestly don't think WN will diversify its fleet until the 797 aircraft arrives.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Wed May 05, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 2:30 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Things are going to get very interesting over the next several weeks. My eye is on the pineapple.

Monday's 13:00 Herb/08:00 HST "Aloha"2021 battle plan update should have quite a few good announcements. Sounds like July will also see even more Pineapple adds.
Strong rumor is that the New flights will go on sale at 08:08 HST on Monday at the low low price of
$50 each way in June to celebrate WN 50th anniversary.
I will definitely have my CC ready to book a much needed post pandemic Hawaiian vacation. I have Disney points to burn so come on Cheap HNL flights the HNL Disney hotel is amazing.
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


I'd get my CC out but WN won't let you book online from MSP, since there is zero way to get there or back without extra nights built in.


Reserve your rental car now.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 3:20 pm

8725 OAK-HNL has departed!

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 4:00 pm

Runway765 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.


An HA acquisition would kill their business model.


How so? Hawaii ops is just one element of WN business model. And perhaps the WN business model is ready for evolution.

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.

WN next 10yr plan has them remaining Solo.
They even shot down the MAX9 and MAX10 speculation during there last conference call point blank saying a bigger aircraft doesn't fit there business model.
Also I don't think the under a Democratic House and senate DOT wouldn't approve it since it would give WN a huge monopoly on the Hawaii market.

If anyone were to Buy Hawaiian I'd place my Bets on JetBlue down the road.

I honestly don't think WN will diversify its fleet until the 797 aircraft arrives.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


Merger oversight is a function of DOJ and FTC. I’m sure they would propose remedies to any antitrust issues arising from an acquisition by WN, B6, AS, etc.
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 4:08 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.


An HA acquisition would kill their business model.


How so? Hawaii ops is just one element of WN business model. And perhaps the WN business model is ready for evolution.

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.

WN next 10yr plan has them remaining Solo.
They even shot down the MAX9 and MAX10 speculation during there last conference call point blank saying a bigger aircraft doesn't fit there business model.
Also I don't think the under a Democratic House and senate DOT wouldn't approve it since it would give WN a huge monopoly on the Hawaii market.

If anyone were to Buy Hawaiian I'd place my Bets on JetBlue down the road.

I honestly don't think WN will diversify its fleet until the 797 aircraft arrives.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy


Merger oversight is a function of DOJ and FTC. I’m sure they would propose remedies to any antitrust issues arising from an acquisition by WN, B6, AS, etc.



I agree on both counts.
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Runway765 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.


So should B6 diversify their fleet to include some MAX’s?

An HA acquisition would kill their business model.

I would imagine if a merger did happen they would go with the 787 and dump the airbus a330
 
SWADawg
Posts: 714
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Runway765 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

My money is on WN acquiring HA. This would hurt B6 since they are the codeshare from the west coast, but would be fantastic for WN. Pilots have been discussing the change from A330 to 787 as a Gary Kelly move since day one. Time will tell.

I actually didn’t think WN would acquire HA. Now, I’m not so sure anymore. I think the chances are now better than 50/50 of an acquisition of HA in the next 12-18 months.


Yeah, zero chance a HA acquisition is happening. Way too many integration issues. What would they do with all the airbus aircraft?

They would do what they were going to do with the F9 purchase that ultimately didn’t happen. Have Boeing remarket said Aircraft to Foreign Leasing Companies overseas and convert A321NEO’s 1 for 1 to MAX8/9/10 Aircraft. A330’s are on their way out with the eventual arrival of the 787’s. The 717’s WN knows a thing or two about. They might stay in an inter island role or they might just retire them in favor of 737’s doing that service. Nothing about a HA acquisition is anything that WN couldn’t handle. If anything, WN is better able to absorb another carrier now than they were with FL in 2010.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Wneast wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Diversify their fleet FINALLY.


So should B6 diversify their fleet to include some MAX’s?

An HA acquisition would kill their business model.

I would imagine if a merger did happen they would go with the 787 and dump the airbus a330


https://simpleflying.com/boeing-787-set ... t-in-2022/
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 4:16 pm

SWADawg wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
I actually didn’t think WN would acquire HA. Now, I’m not so sure anymore. I think the chances are now better than 50/50 of an acquisition of HA in the next 12-18 months.


Yeah, zero chance a HA acquisition is happening. Way too many integration issues. What would they do with all the airbus aircraft?

They would do what they were going to do with the F9 purchase that ultimately didn’t happen. Have Boeing remarket said Aircraft to Foreign Leasing Companies overseas and convert A321NEO’s 1 for 1 to MAX8/9/10 Aircraft. A330’s are on their way out with the eventual arrival of the 787’s. The 717’s WN knows a thing or two about. They might stay in an inter island role or they might just retire them in favor of 737’s doing that service. Nothing about a HA acquisition is anything that WN couldn’t handle. If anything, WN is better able to absorb another carrier now than they were with FL in 2010.


^this
 
AC4500
Posts: 689
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 5:30 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

There's no way that WN would go for JFK before re-entering EWR.

Also, why on earth is an HA/WN acquisition being discussed? How would that ever get passed the DOJ?
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

There's no way that WN would go for JFK before re-entering EWR.

Also, why on earth is an HA/WN acquisition being discussed? How would that ever get passed the DOJ?

I mean WN hasn’t been doing what they usually do so them going to JFK before returning to EWR wouldn’t surprise me and it could also be that there’s a opportunity to get slots there instead of waiting if they did want to enter JFK at some point
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm

I don't think WN will return to EWR until the terminal project is completed or some of the gates open early next year.
 
asteriskceo
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:42 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Outside of the Hawaii schedules I've also heard that WN has successfully negotiated the rights to buy the 7 JFK slots from the JetBlue/American deal.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

There's no way that WN would go for JFK before re-entering EWR.

Also, why on earth is an HA/WN acquisition being discussed? How would that ever get passed the DOJ?

The same way that NW/DL, CO/UA, US/AA did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Runway765
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:21 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 6:42 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

So should B6 diversify their fleet to include some MAX’s?

An HA acquisition would kill their business model.

I would imagine if a merger did happen they would go with the 787 and dump the airbus a330


https://simpleflying.com/boeing-787-set ... t-in-2022/


Are the 787's replacing the A330's or supplementing them? There aren't enough on order to replace them all.

Regardless, I don't think WN wants the complexity of widebodies.
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Runway765 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
Wneast wrote:
I would imagine if a merger did happen they would go with the 787 and dump the airbus a330


https://simpleflying.com/boeing-787-set ... t-in-2022/


Are the 787's replacing the A330's or supplementing them? There aren't enough on order to replace them all.

Regardless, I don't think WN wants the complexity of widebodies.

I think the A330s are getting replaced by the 787 eventually Hawaiian has options for ten more which would be 20 total WN could order more if they wanted, unless WN waits for the 797 which could happen we will see I don’t think any other airlines would have much better integration B6 doesn’t have widebodys so any airline that buys them will have to change things
 
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 8:01 pm

FYI - May 2, 2021, marked the 10th Anniversary of Southwest officially acquiring AirTran and the blending of the AirTran and Southwest Families.

"I think M&A is always on the table," Kelly said. "We've participated every 10 years roughly in M&A, so I think there's a time and a place for that. I think literally today, it's a non-starter, personally. All you would do is take on massive losses. The only restructuring that could be done profitably is to buy and shut down." source -
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... kelly.html
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4770
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 11:19 pm

737 MAX 8 at HNL
Image
Image
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 11:27 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
737 MAX 8 at HNL
Image
Image


Beautiful! Glad to see the current max problems didn’t slow ETOPS progress too much.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5685
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 05, 2021 11:27 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
737 MAX 8 at HNL.

Beautiful shots Silver' (of course!) Thanks for taking your camera to work today and sharing with us!

bb
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9872
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 am

orlandocfi wrote:

Merger oversight is a function of DOJ and FTC. I’m sure they would propose remedies to any antitrust issues arising from an acquisition by WN, B6, AS, etc.


Carriers, faced with DOJ resistance, may just call it off. UA+US did.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?i ... cquisition.

One could expect the State of Hawaii to join a suit and have stringent demands for inter-island service.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
737 MAX 8 at HNL
Image
Image

Amazing. Thanks for sharing !
 
WN732
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

Merger oversight is a function of DOJ and FTC. I’m sure they would propose remedies to any antitrust issues arising from an acquisition by WN, B6, AS, etc.


Carriers, faced with DOJ resistance, may just call it off. UA+US did.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?i ... cquisition.

One could expect the State of Hawaii to join a suit and have stringent demands for inter-island service.


Being that HA is the states largest employer, and that Hawaiian culture is embedded within the company - you can bet that there will be tremendous pushback from the state of Hawaii.

There is a cultural element to the airline that WN would be unable to reproduce. HA is just a little more than an airline to the state. I learned quite a bit about that during the preflight presentation in HNL for the inaugural HNL-AUS flight.

Ige would use all of his power and clout along with the state representatives to sway the DOJ as far as they could, unless certain stipulations would be met. I honestly believe that any airline buying Hawaiian would face a tremendous uphill battle.
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 2:07 am

WN732 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

Merger oversight is a function of DOJ and FTC. I’m sure they would propose remedies to any antitrust issues arising from an acquisition by WN, B6, AS, etc.


Carriers, faced with DOJ resistance, may just call it off. UA+US did.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?i ... cquisition.

One could expect the State of Hawaii to join a suit and have stringent demands for inter-island service.


Being that HA is the states largest employer, and that Hawaiian culture is embedded within the company - you can bet that there will be tremendous pushback from the state of Hawaii.

There is a cultural element to the airline that WN would be unable to reproduce. HA is just a little more than an airline to the state. I learned quite a bit about that during the preflight presentation in HNL for the inaugural HNL-AUS flight.

Ige would use all of his power and clout along with the state representatives to sway the DOJ as far as they could, unless certain stipulations would be met. I honestly believe that any airline buying Hawaiian would face a tremendous uphill battle.

I think Any airline will face a hard time uphill battle but if Hawaiian was to go in bankrupt highly don’t think that will happen but if something some how happen too them I don’t know how what the state of Hawaii would do from a buy out by another airline
 
Runway765
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:21 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 2:45 am

Considering the poor connecting opportunities for WN Hawaii flights from markets east of the Rockies, perhaps a limited codeshare between WN and HA would be feasible if HA expands further into eastern US mid-sized markets.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 4452
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 2:47 am

Summer schedule pushed thru Sept 6
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 3:08 am

I know it might not happen tell they add a new plane in years but does anyone see WN going into a business or premium class on there planes In a next step up of the airline ?
 
WNCrew
Posts: 1006
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:22 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 3:12 am

Wneast wrote:
I know it might not happen tell they add a new plane in years but does anyone see WN going into a business or premium class on there planes In a next step up of the airline ?


It would have a be a NEW plane with an entirely different galley set up. There isn't a plane, nor a current galley config that would support ANY premium... anything.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 5:36 am

Saw the First day loads for VPS.
All the inbound flights preforming well.
Outbound were low but that's normal for a first day at a primarily leisure destination.

Enjoy or Don't

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
737tanker
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 1:39 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Hears another rumor going around.
One source is saying the First Hawaii proposed expansion had Daily Red Eyes scheduled.
But SWAPA put the Brakes on the proposal since the Red Eyes study they did with the company is over 10yrs Old and they need to do a revaluation over safety precautions.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Since the last CBA between WN and SWAPA is less than 10 years old and has language how red eyes will be paid and operated I don't believe this rumor is true.
 
737tanker
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:47 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 1:44 pm

WNCrew wrote:
Wneast wrote:
I know it might not happen tell they add a new plane in years but does anyone see WN going into a business or premium class on there planes In a next step up of the airline ?


It would have a be a NEW plane with an entirely different galley set up. There isn't a plane, nor a current galley config that would support ANY premium... anything.

You wouldn't need a new plane or galley configuration to add a business class at WN. All you would need is to convert the 1st 3 rows from the current 3x3 to a business seat 2x2. Since the passengers keep their boarding passes now they would just have to show the FAs that they are A1-A12 on order to sit in those seats.
 
av8tiongeek
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 1:51 pm

737tanker wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Hears another rumor going around.
One source is saying the First Hawaii proposed expansion had Daily Red Eyes scheduled.
But SWAPA put the Brakes on the proposal since the Red Eyes study they did with the company is over 10yrs Old and they need to do a revaluation over safety precautions.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Enjoy or Don't

Flyguy

Since the last CBA between WN and SWAPA is less than 10 years old and has language how red eyes will be paid and operated I don't believe this rumor is true.



Technology has been WN's problem for years. The End.
 
orlandocfi
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm

737tanker wrote:
WNCrew wrote:
Wneast wrote:
I know it might not happen tell they add a new plane in years but does anyone see WN going into a business or premium class on there planes In a next step up of the airline ?


It would have a be a NEW plane with an entirely different galley set up. There isn't a plane, nor a current galley config that would support ANY premium... anything.

You wouldn't need a new plane or galley configuration to add a business class at WN. All you would need is to convert the 1st 3 rows from the current 3x3 to a business seat 2x2. Since the passengers keep their boarding passes now they would just have to show the FAs that they are A1-A12 on order to sit in those seats.


I don’t think WN will ever go for a full business class product, but premium economy rows up front with extra legroom could be an easy compromise.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos