Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

av8tiongeek

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Thu May 06, 2021 2:12 pm

I wish they'd add a business class and start assigning seats.

Sooner787

Thu May 06, 2021 2:34 pm

if these rumors of $50 one way fares to Hawaii are true ,
I pray folks don't crash WN's system next Monday.

We use swabiz all day everyday here at work LOL

Wneast

Thu May 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Is the max flying back from HNL today if so is it a different flight number ?

av8tiongeek

Thu May 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Wneast wrote:

8725 with a 1230 (CST) departure

av8tiongeek

Thu May 06, 2021 5:34 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
av8tiongeek wrote:
Wneast wrote:

8725 with a 1230 (CST) departure

Delayed

SWADawg

Thu May 06, 2021 6:15 pm

Just took off. In the air now.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

Wneast

Thu May 06, 2021 6:39 pm

SWADawg wrote:

Do they just do HNL to DAL to go back to there headquarters or there any reason they are doing this routing ?

orlandocfi

Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Wneast wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Do they just do HNL to DAL to go back to there headquarters or there any reason they are doing this routing ?

They did the same thing on the initial ETOPS proving flights. I imagine there are hdq personnel onboard, and possibly FAA personnel from the dallas FSDO.

Not sure why but I’m tickled by the idea of a WN 737 flying HNL-DAL.

Wneast

Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
Wneast wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

They did the same thing on the initial ETOPS proving flights. I imagine there are hdq personnel onboard, and possibly FAA personnel from the dallas FSDO.

I could see that happening but more likely with the max 7 ?

MIflyer12

Thu May 06, 2021 7:22 pm

orlandocfi wrote:

So long as you don't expect it to be bi-directional. There are plenty of diversion points in the last three hours HNL-DAL. On DAL-HNL, not so much. AS had days with problems running 738s SEA-HNL non-stop, at 30% less distance than DAL-HNL, with ~sixteen fewer seats.

Wneast

Thu May 06, 2021 7:27 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

So long as you don't expect it to be bi-directional. There are plenty of diversion points in the last three hours HNL-DAL. On DAL-HNL, not so much. AS had days with problems running 738s SEA-HNL non-stop, at 30% less distance than DAL-HNL, with ~sixteen fewer seats.

Would they try HNL to DAL one way and on the way there they use the plane to do another route ?

orlandocfi

Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

The -7 has considerably longer legs than the 738, but I seriously doubt the economic viability of running a 150-seat all-economy jet on routes like this!

SWADawg

Thu May 06, 2021 7:37 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

The -7 has considerably longer legs than the 738, but I seriously doubt the economic viability of running a 150-seat all-economy jet on routes like this!

You can’t anyway because of the Wright Amendment restrictions. No International flights and all Domestic flights have to be within the lower 48.

wnflyguy

Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
Wneast wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Same As the original NG8 Etops certification the last Flight flew HNL-DAL. The following morning The Etops team from the FAA and WN will
Conduct a detailed round table debrief evaluation. If no further flights are required from the FAA they will proceed with giving WN its certification to operate the MAX8 ETOPS.
From my Understanding WN will do a Monday morning press release about the achievement of being approved for ETOPS flying with the MAX8.
Later that Morning GK and a few other will be holding a semi private Virtual meeting at 08:00 HST / 13:00 HERB. At 08:08 HST ( 808 is the area code for Hawaii) WN will release the new flights and destinations with a huge 50 TH anniversary fare sale.
Fares are expected to be as low as $50 each way on just the new flights and only available in June.
Some reliable sources are saying they're holding off the fare sale release this time until Mid afternoon Monday after receiving a HUGE back lash from their first flights sale release which left Most Hawaiians waking up to the news of WN introductory cheap Fares. But by the time they awoke in Hawaii to the news ALL seats were sold out while everyone was sleeping still in Hawaii.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

barney captain

Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

WN732 wrote:
Being that HA is the states largest employer, and that Hawaiian culture is embedded within the company - you can bet that there will be tremendous pushback from the state of Hawaii.

6356 employees puts HA a distant fifth in the state as far as employers.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/largest-c ... in-hawaii/
Southeast Of Disorder

KMCOFlyer

Thu May 06, 2021 8:33 pm

SWADawg wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

You can’t anyway because of the Wright Amendment restrictions. No International flights and all Domestic flights have to be within the lower 48.

Interesting I never knew there was still a restriction that they can only fly within the lower 48 from DAL and thought the only restriction was no INTL flights.

SWADawg

Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

Interesting I never knew there was still a restriction that they can only fly within the lower 48 from DAL and thought the only restriction was no INTL flights.

I actually may be wrong on that. I’m pretty sure that Braniff operated a 747 to HNL out of DAL back in the day, so I may be confusing the International restrictions and lumping it in with Hawaii. If I’m mistaken, I’m sure I will be corrected.

orlandocfi

Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 pm

SWADawg wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

I actually may be wrong on that. I’m pretty sure that Braniff operated a 747 to HNL out of DAL back in the day, so I may be confusing the International restrictions and lumping it in with Hawaii. If I’m mistaken, I’m sure I will be corrected.

Wright Amendment did end in 2014 so there should be no restrictions to HNL flights, if it ever becomes an option, that is!

jplatts

Thu May 06, 2021 9:13 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Here is the text of Section 3 of the Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006:
"No person shall provide, or offer to provide, air transportation of passengers for compensation or hire between Love Field, Texas, and any point or points outside the 50 States or the District of Columbia on a nonstop basis, and no official or employee of the Federal Government may take any action to make or designate Love Field as an initial point of entry into the United States or a last point of departure from the United States."

The Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006 actually does allow nonstop flights to Hawaii from DAL since Hawaii is one of the 50 states. DAL to Hawaii nonstop flights would not fly over any foreign countries (even though such flights would fly over the Pacific Ocean in between California and Hawaii).

jplatts

Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

I had mentioned that the 737 MAX 7 might possibly have enough range for DAL-HNL with auxiliary fuel tanks, and a discussion over whether the 737 MAX 7 has enough range to reach Hawaii nonstop from AUS, DAL, HOU, and MCI can be found at viewtopic.php?p=22727033#p22726671.

orlandocfi

Thu May 06, 2021 9:54 pm

jplatts wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

I had mentioned that the 737 MAX 7 might possibly have enough range for DAL-HNL with auxiliary fuel tanks, and a discussion over whether the 737 MAX 7 has enough range to reach Hawaii nonstop from AUS, DAL, HOU, and MCI can be found at viewtopic.php?p=22727033#p22726671.

I could see WN using the -7 to serve Hawaii from smaller mainland markets...to the extent that they can operate with an unaugmented crew. I think MCI would be the perfect market for that kind of service. But Dallas, Houston, and Austin already have wide body service to HNL so why bother with those markets .

gr8slvrflt

Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 pm

Our internal fleet list, as of today, shows 59 MAX 8 and 4 MAX 8 ETOPS. So it appears the test runs yesterday were successful.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

Wneast

Thu May 06, 2021 11:01 pm

gr8slvrflt wrote:
Our internal fleet list, as of today, shows 59 MAX 8 and 4 MAX 8 ETOPS. So it appears the test runs yesterday were successful.

How many max 8s are moving over to etops all of them ?

Jshank83

Thu May 06, 2021 11:12 pm

Southwest has a booking glitch at the moment. At least for aug 15- sept 6. If you book a ticket you can immediately change it for no charge. I booked the cheapest (with a stop) then changed to the actual flight I wanted (nonstop) for no upcharge.

barney captain

Fri May 07, 2021 12:56 am

orlandocfi wrote:

Wright Amendment did end in 2014 so there should be no restrictions to HNL flights, if it ever becomes an option, that is!

While many of the restrictions were lifted, the Wright Amendment still has restrictions in place.
Southeast Of Disorder

AABB777

Fri May 07, 2021 1:03 am

jplatts wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Here is the text of Section 3 of the Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006:
"No person shall provide, or offer to provide, air transportation of passengers for compensation or hire between Love Field, Texas, and any point or points outside the 50 States or the District of Columbia on a nonstop basis, and no official or employee of the Federal Government may take any action to make or designate Love Field as an initial point of entry into the United States or a last point of departure from the United States."

The Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006 actually does allow nonstop flights to Hawaii from DAL since Hawaii is one of the 50 states. DAL to Hawaii nonstop flights would not fly over any foreign countries (even though such flights would fly over the Pacific Ocean in between California and Hawaii).

Kind of funny that the Reform Act specifically includes the District of Columbia. Both DCA and IAD are in Virginia. BWI is in Maryland. There is not an airport in the District.

ScottB

Fri May 07, 2021 2:29 am

orlandocfi wrote:

As efficient as the new crop of engines is, I don't think this is so far-fetched. The MAX 7 probably offers CASM below the 757s which have been used for routes like DEN-Hawaii, and DAL is a bit under 13% farther. The need for a third pilot westbound might be an issue -- I doubt they can manage a block time under eight hours under most conditions.

wnflyguy

Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 am

gr8slvrflt wrote:

Everything I've heard from sources this evening is the Certification process is completed pending full FAA approval sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Scheduling wise it sounds like the first 4 MAX8 ETOPS aircraft will transition into the regular Hawaii flying rotations on MAY 16th and rotate them all in the schedule by July 1.
Mid July 90% or the Hawaii flights should be completed by the MAX8E.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

AC4500

Fri May 07, 2021 5:08 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Southwest has a booking glitch at the moment. At least for aug 15- sept 6. If you book a ticket you can immediately change it for no charge. I booked the cheapest (with a stop) then changed to the actual flight I wanted (nonstop) for no upcharge.

Interesting...

Alaska had a very similar glitch about a month ago...
Next:
UA: PDX-EWR-DCA
WN: BWI-STL-PDX

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri May 07, 2021 11:19 am

jplatts wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

NOPE! Boeing is not investing is auxiliary fuel tanks for the MAX7.... so WN can put it on 15-20 planes.... NOPE! No return on investment. MAX7 range is 3850nm per Boeing and DALHNL and AUSHNL are 3300nm while MCIHNL and HOUHNL are 3400nm, so those 4 are probably out of contention on nonstop service.
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

av8tiongeek

Fri May 07, 2021 2:30 pm

WN is gearing up to start hiring flight attendants this summer.

wnflyguy

Fri May 07, 2021 3:34 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

Sounds like an additional 1000 new FAs to Grow LAX and DEN base.
Plus staff The 3 agreed satellite bases BNA,ABQ, TPA since 54+ MAX8 are returning to the schedule.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Fri May 07, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

av8tiongeek

Fri May 07, 2021 3:35 pm

They need to open those bases. :-)

av8tiongeek

Fri May 07, 2021 3:52 pm

They'll need 1000 to build DEN to the 3000 they've been promising for 2 years.

SWADawg

Fri May 07, 2021 3:55 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

Source?

Ishrion

Fri May 07, 2021 3:58 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Source?

Here: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/07/southwe ... ounds.html
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

av8tiongeek

Fri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Source?

Company memo...ask any of your FA friends.

SWADawg

Fri May 07, 2021 4:19 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Source?

Company memo...ask any of your FA friends.

I’m on leave and don’t have any to ask.

av8tiongeek

Fri May 07, 2021 4:24 pm

Are you anticipating a recall before January?

SWADawg

Fri May 07, 2021 4:41 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

I’m a pilot. I’ll be back in June.

av8tiongeek

Fri May 07, 2021 4:47 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Hope you enjoyed your time off. Looking forward to any/all announcements leading up to June 18.

SWADawg

Fri May 07, 2021 4:59 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Hope you enjoyed your time off. Looking forward to any/all announcements leading up to June 18.

Thanks. I did enjoy my time off but I’m really ready to get back at it again.

LotsaRunway

Fri May 07, 2021 6:05 pm

Does anyone know if WN is shifting resources from BWI to fund expansion at DEN, LAX, and HI? Seems like a lot is being (temporarily?) reduced at BWI. As noted earlier, a lot of routes that used to operate at high frequency are being vastly reduced in the updated and expanding summer schedule.

Flflyer83

Fri May 07, 2021 7:18 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
Does anyone know if WN is shifting resources from BWI to fund expansion at DEN, LAX, and HI? Seems like a lot is being (temporarily?) reduced at BWI. As noted earlier, a lot of routes that used to operate at high frequency are being vastly reduced in the updated and expanding summer schedule.

The high frequencies are for business travelers, which just aren't flying at big enough numbers just yet.

SXDFC

Fri May 07, 2021 9:29 pm

Updated paint list as of 05/07/2021. From what Ive seen, painting has somewhat resumed. If still interested, Ill gladly re update the list.

167 Planes are left in the "Canyon Blue" livery
563 Planes are painted in the "Heart" livery
2 Planes (711,714) are painted in the "Retro/ Original" livery

737-700
=========
280 (MISSOURI ONE)
409 (TRIPLE CROWN ONE)
417 (THE ROLLIN KING)
439 (THE DONALD OGDGEN)
443 (RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE)
781 (NEW MEXICO ONE)
922 (HEART LIVERY AS OF 04/2021)
931 (LONE STAR ONE)
938 (HEROES OF THE HEART)
943 (CALIFORNIA ONE)
945 (FLORIDA ONE)
946 (LOUISIANA ONE)
953 (SILVER ONE)
955 (ARIZONA ONE)
956 (THE JACK VIDAL)

800 (ETOPS)
==========

800 (NON ETOPS)
==============
8642 (HEART ONE)
8645 (HEART TWO)

737-7MAX (STORED/ YET TO ENTER SERVICE)
========

737-8MAX ETOPS
===============
8703 (NTU/ WONT RE ENTER SERVICE)
(FOLLOWING FRAMES WILL BE ETOPS)

737-8MAX (NON ETOPS)
===================

Wneast

Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Anyone hearing if they approved etops this afternoon ?

737MAX7

Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Wneast wrote:
Anyone hearing if they approved etops this afternoon ?

Not sure on an official announcement but 8714 is sitting at C21 here in BNA with her ETOPS on the nose gear door and above the aft entry door showing so I’m going to take a wild guess it has been or is really close to being approved. Previously all of the intended ETOPS birds had them covered.

wnflyguy

Fri May 07, 2021 11:52 pm

SXDFC wrote:
Updated paint list as of 05/07/2021. From what Ive seen, painting has somewhat resumed. If still interested, Ill gladly re update the list.

737-700
=========
280 (MISSOURI ONE)
409 (TRIPLE CROWN ONE)
417 (THE ROLLIN KING)
439 (THE DONALD OGDGEN)
781 (NEW MEXICO ONE)
931 (LONE STAR ONE)
943 (CALIFORNIA ONE)
945 (FLORIDA ONE)
946 (LOUISIANA ONE)
953 (SILVER ONE)
955 (ARIZONA ONE)
956 (THE JACK VIDAL)

800 (ETOPS)
==========

800 (NON ETOPS)
==============
8642 (HEART ONE)
8645 (HEART TWO)

========

737-8MAX ETOPS
===============

737-8MAX (NON ETOPS)
===================

Thanks for the fleet update.

Well Just in case nobody else catches it.
By June 1 WN will have 78 total ETOPS aircraft.
That's A LOT of flying to Hawaii WN can unleash on this leisure travel environment.
Hawaiian and AlaskaAir can't be to thrilled about this.
If rumors are true that July will see additional Hawaii flights on top of the first June adds it's definitely going to get ugly in the Fare wars .

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Wneast

Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 am

wnflyguy wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

737-700
=========
280 (MISSOURI ONE)
409 (TRIPLE CROWN ONE)
417 (THE ROLLIN KING)
439 (THE DONALD OGDGEN)
781 (NEW MEXICO ONE)
931 (LONE STAR ONE)
943 (CALIFORNIA ONE)
945 (FLORIDA ONE)
946 (LOUISIANA ONE)
953 (SILVER ONE)
955 (ARIZONA ONE)
956 (THE JACK VIDAL)

800 (ETOPS)
==========

800 (NON ETOPS)
==============
8642 (HEART ONE)
8645 (HEART TWO)

========

737-8MAX ETOPS
===============

737-8MAX (NON ETOPS)
===================

Thanks for the fleet update.

Well Just in case nobody else catches it.
By June 1 WN will have 78 total ETOPS aircraft.
That's A LOT of flying to Hawaii WN can unleash on this leisure travel environment.
Hawaiian and AlaskaAir can't be to thrilled about this.
If rumors are true that July will see additional Hawaii flights on top of the first June adds it's definitely going to get ugly in the Fare wars .

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

78 planes that’s insane what other Hawaii flying are they going to do ? The other airlines are in trouble for sure WN is coming for them I would imagine we will see even more destinations to Hawaii even if there less then daily ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos