Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Silver1SWA

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 am

SWADawg wrote:
airzona11 wrote:
What is Southwests plan for expanding the beverage service back to normal?

Plan? What plan? Nothing changing anytime soon from what I’ve heard unfortunately. Maybe someone else has better information though.

Some expanded service modifications are coming mid June and July for flights to/from Hawaii and flights more than 250 miles.

airzona11

Fri May 21, 2021 4:09 am

Thanks for the info. Curious in all honesty the official reasoning. Kind of reminds me of all the fuel surcharges and fees that were added when fuel spiked in the 2000s but that never went away. I know WN didn’t add those charges, but industry wide and with southwest I am not sure the reasoning for the reduced service. Serving coke and coke or coke and OJ or a beer is no different.

av8tiongeek

Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 am

I think they should drop the modified service and return to a full service. Rip the bandaid off.

tomaheath

Fri May 21, 2021 10:53 am

av8tiongeek wrote:
I think they should drop the modified service and return to a full service. Rip the bandaid off.

Well put!

wnflyguy

Fri May 21, 2021 12:58 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

That's exactly what all the flight attendants are saying. If your gonna bring back service just bring it back already. Well except the on the super short flights because let's be honest flights with less than a hour in the air like MDW-GRR as an example going east is 19 minutes in the air it doesn't need full service or any service at all for that matter.
A lot of markets To improve On time performance WN went and padded its schedules. So the ONT-LAS type of flights sold as 1hr 10mins is actually 45 flights time with 25mins of total service time doesn't need service. Post pandemic era it's time to stop the here's your drink take a quick sip I need to take it we're landing now bull crap.
WN has ALWAYS over served its customers so this is a great time to redo everything and eliminate the waste.
Permanently Eliminating Dr Pepper,Diet Dr Pepper,Coke Zero would be a good thing in my opinion just taking away those gives them enough extra product to start offering full cans to everyone VS the open and pour glass by glass. Ice cups
And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Vctony

Fri May 21, 2021 1:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

That's exactly what all the flight attendants are saying. If your gonna bring back service just bring it back already. Well except the on the super short flights because let's be honest flights with less than a hour in the air like MDW-GRR as an example going east is 19 minutes in the air it doesn't need full service or any service at all for that matter.
A lot of markets To improve On time performance WN went and padded its schedules. So the ONT-LAS type of flights sold as 1hr 10mins is actually 45 flights time with 25mins of total service time doesn't need service. Post pandemic era it's time to stop the here's your drink take a quick sip I need to take it we're landing now bull crap.
WN has over served its customers this is a great time to redo everything and eliminate the waste.
Permanently Eliminating Dr Pepper,Diet Dr Pepper,Coke Zero would be a good thing in my opinion just taking away those gives them enough extra product to start offering full cans to everyone VS the open and pour glass by glass. Ice cups
And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

The dominant airline in Texas not offering Dr. Pepper is a travesty IMHO.

wnflyguy

Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Vctony wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

WN has over served its customers this is a great time to redo everything and eliminate the waste.
And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

The dominant airline in Texas not offering Dr. Pepper is a travesty IMHO.

In my day unless your doing the a flight to SAT no body ever orders Dr Pepper let alone Diet Dr Pepper.
Now bringing on Grape Drink or Mountain Dew they would probably go over like gang busters. It my sound like I'm joking but I'm not if I had half a cent on how many times in my day I got asked for those two I'd be richer than Jeff Bezos.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

SWADawg

Fri May 21, 2021 1:25 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

WN has ALWAYS over served its customers so this is a great time to redo everything and eliminate the waste.
And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Don’t you dare touch Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero or I’m never coming back to work. Not having my Coke Zero could become a safety of flight issue. :wink2:

wnflyguy

Fri May 21, 2021 1:35 pm

SWADawg wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Don’t you dare touch Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero or I’m never coming back to work. Not having my Coke Zero could become a safety of flight issue. :wink2:

Let me guess you were that one pilot when I flew A that always wanted a Coke Zero NO ice on every leg hahahahaha! I saw the new hard alcohol selection is just Vodka and Jack Daniels NO WILD TURKEY. WTF ! Hahahahaha

Flyguy

SWADawg

Fri May 21, 2021 1:44 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Let me guess you were that one pilot when I flew A that always wanted a Coke Zero NO ice on every leg hahahahaha! I saw the new hard alcohol selection is just Vodka and Jack Daniels NO WILD TURKEY. WTF ! Hahahahaha

Flyguy

I usually want ice. I’m greedy. No Wild Turkey? That’s heresy!

av8tiongeek

Fri May 21, 2021 2:15 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

YES! I appreciate what WN is trying to do but in the end the crew looks rushed and frazzled at times. Either customers have time to enjoy the beverage w/out feeling rushed or they don't get one. I don't take issue with any other carrier when there's not enough time to provide a beverage service. I don't need to wait for the crew to ask me if I want anything else when all they had to do was give me the full can of Coke. It's a lot of unnecessary work for the crew but inconvenient for the customer. They need to do make the adjustments that provide a better experience. Share that w/your folks.

Flflyer83

Fri May 21, 2021 5:39 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

No, all of the flight attendants are not saying that. There are a vocal minority that don’t believe in COVID, or even masks, that say that. Many flight attendants are not saying that and definitely do not think alcohol should return being that there are already issues with passenger compliance without alcohol. You are 100% wrong on this one.

Also, Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero get pretty big usage, so that’s a negative as well. Far more than sprite, tonic, and various juices.

phllax

Fri May 21, 2021 6:39 pm

I understand that service on USH was already being looked at pre-pandemic.

barney captain

Fri May 21, 2021 7:19 pm

Apparently there are supply issues - hence the temporary limited service items.

wnflyguy

Fri May 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

And full cans.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

No, all of the flight attendants are not saying that. There are a vocal minority that don’t believe in COVID, or even masks, that say that. Many flight attendants are not saying that and definitely do not think alcohol should return being that there are already issues with passenger compliance without alcohol. You are 100% wrong on this one.

Also, Dr. Pepper and Coke Zero get pretty big usage, so that’s a negative as well. Far more than sprite, tonic, and various juices.

Almost NOBODY wants regular service to return because Covid is still here and we're not there yet in my personal opinion.
I'm still upset my good SAN FA friend Chris recently died from Covid he picked up flying threw this.
That said the majority of everyone thinks the half ass roll out is worse than just doing a full resumption of normal service completely when it comes to product on board.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

AC4500

Fri May 21, 2021 7:31 pm

phllax wrote:
I understand that service on USH was already being looked at pre-pandemic.

Ushuaia, you mean the city in Argentina...? :lol:

khaba

Fri May 21, 2021 10:02 pm

barney captain wrote:
Apparently there are supply issues - hence the temporary limited service items.

yes, some products are still prone to shortages, I can't imagine returning to pre-pandemic menu without having a few things become unavailable every so often.

wnflyguy

Sat May 22, 2021 4:57 am

Just Saw on the News tonight that 2 Southwest planes clipped each other today at MDW around Noon on 5/21.

Flyguy

Jshank83

Sat May 22, 2021 5:15 am

wnflyguy wrote:
Just Saw on the News tonight that 2 Southwest planes clipped each other today at MDW around Noon on 5/21.

Flyguy

WN had a plane blow a tire at STL and had one runway closed basically all day today until they could fix it.

gdavis003

Sat May 22, 2021 5:48 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Clipped the winglet with visible damage (https://twitter.com/nemoore91/status/13 ... 83465?s=21). The picture is WN654 from MDW to BHM, not sure who they collided with

av8tiongeek

Sat May 22, 2021 2:51 pm

Damn. I was hoping WN would return to EWR.
https://simpleflying.com/faa-spirit-newark-decision/

SWADawg

Sat May 22, 2021 3:02 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

Nothing in that article states that WN won’t be returning to EWR. It just said that their slots had been returned and not reissued. EWR is CURRENTLY not slot controlled. If WN wanted back in, they would be able to go back in when the new Terminal A opens. I actually still expect them to request 3-4 gates at the new Terminal in the near future if they haven’t already.

av8tiongeek

Sat May 22, 2021 3:23 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

Nothing in that article states that WN won’t be returning to EWR. It just said that their slots had been returned and not reissued. EWR is CURRENTLY not slot controlled. If WN wanted back in, they would be able to go back in when the new Terminal A opens. I actually still expect them to request 3-4 gates at the new Terminal in the near future if they haven’t already.

I know they needed planes due to the massive grounding and no doubt had no desire to move multiple times, so I hope they do return to EWR or add service at JFK.

SWADawg

Sat May 22, 2021 4:33 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

I know they needed planes due to the massive grounding and no doubt had no desire to move multiple times, so I hope they do return to EWR or add service at JFK.

They did need planes at the time and the flights specifically out of EWR ate up a lot of aircraft time. At the time I think it was the equivalent of 15 Airplanes worth of flying per day. Now that the MAX is back and WN can pretty much get as many Airplanes as they want. I would expect to see them back in EWR and possibly JFK (if slots are available) in the next 6-12 months pending a recovery in business travel demand.

wnflyguy

Sun May 23, 2021 1:45 pm

It looks like WN has increased its capacity for June by around 450 weekly flights as demand keeps increasing. No new nonstop but more turns in its core markets.

Which is great for the shareholders but it came after Schedules were awarded to Pilots and FA so a lot of extra flying available.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

wnflyguy

Sun May 23, 2021 1:59 pm

SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

They did need planes at the time and the flights specifically out of EWR ate up a lot of aircraft time. At the time I think it was the equivalent of 15 Airplanes worth of flying per day. Now that the MAX is back and WN can pretty much get as many Airplanes as they want. I would expect to see them back in EWR and possibly JFK (if slots are available) in the next 6-12 months pending a recovery in business travel demand.

Well WN has said a few more cities could be added in the Fall.
I honestly think based off everything I've heard WN will definitely be bidding on the AA/B6 slots at JFK.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went into JFK and returned to EWR with a smaller flight schedule this time around with like 7 daily flights at EWR and JFK - 2 DAL,2 DEN,3 MDW.

Enjoy or Don't.

Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Sun May 23, 2021 2:40 pm

Anything is possible. I can't imagine what they would have announced had the grounding and COVID never taken place. FA voted in S. America flying in 2012. I have no doubt we'll hear something about S.A. soon enough. Also, it's interesting that the birthday rally is being held in Houston, rather than their hometown in DAL.

737MAX7

Sun May 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Some of the grounded MAX’s are returning to service, 8814 is popping into BNA today from ECP. She had her first revenue flight on the 21st.

av8tiongeek

Sun May 23, 2021 3:37 pm

https://issuu.com/luvlines/docs/2q_2021_luvlines_final
Page 13
"We are up to 17 new airports opened or announced since the pandemic began, and we are seeing encouraging results from those already online. This is the most new cities we’ve launched in a period of time— an impressive feat and all-time Southwest record! As we’ve shared before, there are 50 to 60 markets within our reach. We have the aircraft to do it and the ability to put our People to work put our People to work now whereas we didn’t in the past. While these new markets will generate revenue in the short-term, they’re also great, long-term opportunities for Southwest."

Nicknuzzii

Sun May 23, 2021 4:40 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
https://issuu.com/luvlines/docs/2q_2021_luvlines_final
Page 13
"We are up to 17 new airports opened or announced since the pandemic began, and we are seeing encouraging results from those already online. This is the most new cities we’ve launched in a period of time— an impressive feat and all-time Southwest record! As we’ve shared before, there are 50 to 60 markets within our reach. We have the aircraft to do it and the ability to put our People to work put our People to work now whereas we didn’t in the past. While these new markets will generate revenue in the short-term, they’re also great, long-term opportunities for Southwest."

Let’s get EWR on this list now.

Wneast

Mon May 24, 2021 12:06 am

wnflyguy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

I honestly think based off everything I've heard WN will definitely be bidding on the AA/B6 slots at JFK.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went into JFK and returned to EWR with a smaller flight schedule this time around with like 7 daily flights at EWR and JFK - 2 DAL,2 DEN,3 MDW.

Enjoy or Don't.

Flyguy

What cities are you thinking could be added ?

DaCubbyBearBar

Mon May 24, 2021 12:34 am

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Enjoy or Don't.

Flyguy

What cities are you thinking could be added ?

Any city not currently served...ANC FAI JNU TYS CAK JFK EWR MGM SYR TYS MSN GSO XNA RFD HSV ABE CAE MDT FSD FAR BIL MSO SWF PAE

Wneast

Mon May 24, 2021 3:43 am

It looks like WN is using jetways at concourse E and F in addition to there hard stands at G so they must be finding more space for all the new flights they want to do

Silver1SWA

Mon May 24, 2021 4:05 am

Wneast wrote:
It looks like WN is using jetways at concourse E and F in addition to there hard stands at G so they must be finding more space for all the new flights they want to do

Right now if it’s a MAX it’s getting a jetway. G1, G6, F1, E4 and E6 have been used since they entered the rotation.

Wneast

Mon May 24, 2021 4:21 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Right now if it’s a MAX it’s getting a jetway. G1, G6, F1, E4 and E6 have been used since they entered the rotation.

Interesting I’m guessing there sharing with other airlines ? That aren’t fully using those gates

wnflyguy

Mon May 24, 2021 5:03 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
Wneast wrote:

What WN is using 5 Jetway gates that's crazy who would have ever thought that would happen in HNL?

Flyguy

Wneast

Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 am

[threeid][/threeid]
wnflyguy wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
Wneast wrote:

What WN is using 5 Jetway gates that's crazy who would have ever thought that would happen in HNL?

Flyguy

Maybe they are getting priority because of there commitment to HNL ? Or do you think they truly is that much room open ?

Silver1SWA

Mon May 24, 2021 5:48 am

Wneast wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Interesting I’m guessing there sharing with other airlines ? That aren’t fully using those gates

They aren’t being used at the same time so yes the gates are shared and the variety is a result of whatever is available. They join the rest of the airlines in the game of musical gates.

wnflyguy

Mon May 24, 2021 12:58 pm

Had a friend send me MYR loads for the first 2 days it seems that it's definitely going to be a Hit!
Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm

While we wait for WN to open the additional satellite bases (ABQ, BNA, TPA), has anyone heard if they'll be announcing additional domiciles?

SWADawg

Mon May 24, 2021 1:45 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
While we wait for WN to open the additional satellite bases (ABQ, BNA, TPA), has anyone heard if they'll be announcing additional domiciles?

They’ve had a lot of churn lately with all of the displacements to cover LAX and LAS ETOPS flying. I think they will let things stabilize before they consider another domicile since opening a new domicile also causes a lot of churn and displacements.

wnflyguy

Mon May 24, 2021 2:00 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

No as of right now LAX is supposed to be the last ever brick and mortar base.
However I'm told WN is in the final evaluation process of studying the possibility of a Flight Attendant only HNL&OGG satellite bases to reduce overnight crew cost.
This was apparently off the table until the pandemic struck.
But now in the post pandemic cost lowering environment it's back on the table.
I've been told they further plan on increasing Hawaii flying And they don't see many Mainland crew members willing to relocate. So they will most likely hire Locally to further build islander support and community loyalty that was devastated when Aloha Air went bankrupt.
Going forward this will be a bummer for crews dreaming of Hawaii overnights but a Huge win win for future revenue as WN shows Hawaii its commitment to replacing the much needed Void and competition needed in the inter island network.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Mon May 24, 2021 2:29 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

No as of right now LAX is supposed to be the last ever brick and mortar base.
However I'm told WN is in the final evaluation process of studying the possibility of a Flight Attendant only HNL&OGG satellite bases to reduce overnight crew cost.
This was apparently off the table until the pandemic struck.
But now in the post pandemic cost lowering environment it's back on the table.
I've been told they further plan on increasing Hawaii flying And they don't see many Mainland crew members willing to relocate. So they will most likely hire Locally to further build islander support and community loyalty that was devastated when Aloha Air went bankrupt.
Going forward this will be a bummer for crews dreaming of Hawaii overnights but a Huge win win for future revenue as WN shows Hawaii its commitment to replacing the much needed Void and competition needed in the inter island network.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

They've been trying to get ground support to transfer to understaffed stations by offering then $20K with a one-year commitment and that hasn't worked too well. I know quite a few flight attendants that would move to the islands if they had a similar incentive.

Wneast

Mon May 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Idk when it starts but I see BUR to RNO in the schedule that hasn’t been flown before right ?

Atlwarrior

Mon May 24, 2021 4:43 pm

WN732

Mon May 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Wneast wrote:
Idk when it starts but I see BUR to RNO in the schedule that hasn’t been flown before right ?

Looks like it starts on 7/11 - I believe it was flown in the past.

jplatts

Mon May 24, 2021 6:58 pm

AC4500 wrote:
WN couldn't make LAX-PDX work. I guarantee LAX-SEA would be even worse for them.

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for PDX-BUR/LAX/ONT on WN in 2019:
PDX-BUR - 74951 passengers, 93995 seats, 79.74% load factor
PDX-LAX - 160978 passengers, 190832 seats, 84.36% load factor
PDX-ONT - 81877 passengers, 96191 seats, 85.12% load factor

WN was likely able to make PDX-LAX/ONT nonstop service work prior to the COVID-19 pandemic with the load factors that WN had on both of these routes in 2019.

The PDEW of SEA-LAX was 2318 passengers/day in Q3 2019 (1.5x higher than PDX-LAX in Q3 2019) compared to a PDEW of 1544 passengers/day on PDX-LAX in Q3 2019.
The PDEW of SEA-LAX was 616 passengers/day in Q4 2020 (2.2x higher than PDX-LAX in Q4 2020) compared to a PDEW of 282 passengers/day on PDX-LAX in Q4 2020.

It is hard to say if LAX-SEA would perform worse than LAX-PDX for WN with LAX-SEA having stronger demand than LAX-PDX. There are also a few destinations that WN served nonstop from both PDX and SEA in 2019 such as MDW, OAK, PHX, and SMF that had stronger demand to SEA on WN than to PDX on WN in 2019.

There are a few differences between LAX-PDX and LAX-SEA such as (a) AS having more frequency on LAX-SEA than on LAX-PDX, (b) UA and B6 having nonstop service to SEA but not PDX from LAX, and (c) DL hubs on both ends of the LAX-SEA route.

psa1011

Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 pm

WN732 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Looks like it starts on 7/11 - I believe it was flown in the past.

Actually I'd be surprised if, before JSX started, it had been flown nonstop since QQ did it briefly in the early 90s. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I think WN added RNO-SAN nonstop about 15 years ago, and since then pulled out of RNO-SEA/PDX/SLC/BOI. it is only recently that it is growing RNO again.

jplatts

Tue May 25, 2021 12:18 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

If WN re-enters EWR or adds service to JFK, I probably would expect WN to re-add nonstop service to NYC from PHX with
(a) WN PHX-EWR having higher load factors than any of the other WN nonstop routes out of EWR in 2019, with WN having a load factor of 91.18% on EWR-PHX in 2019,
(b) PHX being outside of the LGA perimeter, and
(c) WN having a FF base in Greater Phoenix, Vegas, and Southern California to support the return of PHX-NYC nonstop service on WN.

I am unsure if WN really needs to add DAL-JFK nonstop service with
(a) WN already serving LGA nonstop from DAL,
(b) LGA being the preferred airport for Dallas-NYC O&D traffic, and
(c) WN having room at both DAL and LGA to increase DAL-LGA nonstop service once demand recovers with the cuts that WN has made at both DAL and LGA.

WN is currently scheduled to operate 177 daily departures out of DAL in Summer 2021, which is down from the 195 daily departures that WN was operating out of DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

There are also some other adds that could be made out of DAL on WN such as DAL-CVG/BDL/PSP nonstop service and the return of DAL-BOS/CLE/DTW/TUS/PBI nonstop service with WN having more room at DAL than it did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos