Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

orlandocfi

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue May 25, 2021 12:32 pm

Just saw on the news that Frontier is opening their TPA base today. I wonder what sort of competitive response we might see from WN. It feels like a lot of focus is the west coast and Hawaii lately. Even with less-than-daily service, F9, NK, and G4 can still erode WN market share in Tampa.

wnflyguy

Tue May 25, 2021 1:00 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
Just saw on the news that Frontier is opening their TPA base today. I wonder what sort of competitive response we might see from WN. It feels like a lot of focus is the west coast and Hawaii lately. Even with less-than-daily service, F9, NK, and G4 can still erode WN market share in Tampa.

Sweet Jesus WN still has a Huge market share at TPA. Just like MCO and FLL with the Business traffic depression from the covid fall out WN has just Shifted to a peak and off peak weekly schedule.
Most of the leisure travel flying especially in Florida ramps up Friday thru Sunday. But to A.net followers it's the sky is falling mindset.
If you actually do the some research you will find out WN has been constantly adding back Capacity in Florida markets week after week as the travel demand recovers from the pandemic.
But You see F9 adding a crew base which caters to reducing crew overnight cost and increase scheduling flexibility as WN losing market share.

WN is adding service to new cities, increased Californian flying and is expanding Hawaii because it CAN and has a plethora of Aircraft to do so!

Enjoy chicken little or Don't
Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Tue May 25, 2021 1:02 pm

orlandocfi wrote:

WN will be opening its planned satellite base in Tampa in the near future.

FLYKTPA

Tue May 25, 2021 1:04 pm

orlandocfi wrote:

I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen Southwest have a competitive response in Tampa. They don’t really seem to care what other airlines do. They did bump AUS-TPA to 2x daily after AA announced, although that’s probably more about protecting AUS.

orlandocfi

Tue May 25, 2021 1:20 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

Sweet Jesus WN still has a Huge market share at TPA. Just like MCO and FLL with the Business traffic depression from the covid fall out WN has just Shifted to a peak and off peak weekly schedule.
Most of the leisure travel flying especially in Florida ramps up Friday thru Sunday. But to A.net followers it's the sky is falling mindset.
If you actually do the some research you will find out WN has been constantly adding back Capacity in Florida markets week after week as the travel demand recovers from the pandemic.
But You see F9 adding a crew base which caters to reducing crew overnight cost and increase scheduling flexibility as WN losing market share.

WN is adding service to new cities, increased Californian flying and is expanding Hawaii because it CAN and has a plethora of Aircraft to do so!

Flyguy

Wow....you really need to chill.
Protecting market share is actually a thing in business. The fact is that WN market share in Florida has eroded over a number of years. FLL fizzled. MCO is stagnant. Or is WN just willing to cede market share in order to focus on bigger fish out west?

Jshank83

Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm

No need to respond to an airline that will cut most the adds next year anyway.

FLYKTPA

Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

I see what you’re getting at lol. But Frontier’s offering has remained fairly consistent in Tampa. Of course some come and go but it’s a lot more than just DEN, LAS, CLE and PHL. The winter/spring offering is quite good at TPA.

SWADawg

Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:

Flyguy

Protecting market share is actually a thing in business. The fact is that WN market share in Florida has eroded over a number of years. FLL fizzled. MCO is stagnant. Or is WN just willing to cede market share in order to focus on bigger fish out west?

I wouldn’t say it’s about protecting or even ceding market share in Florida. It’s more about WN going after new opportunities and market share in areas where there is available real estate (gate space) and building out the network strategically. WN already has all the real estate (excluding MIA) in Florida that they will ever need. That’s why you are not seeing WN add a lot of service to any city outside of MIA in Florida. I think once MIA is built out to where they want it to be, you will see some of the other markets like TPA and MCO be slowly built back up.

av8tiongeek

Tue May 25, 2021 1:36 pm

@SWADawg I agree

orlandocfi

Tue May 25, 2021 1:47 pm

SWADawg wrote:
orlandocfi wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I wouldn’t say it’s about protecting or even ceding market share in Florida. It’s more about WN going after new opportunities and market share in areas where there is available real estate (gate space) and building out the network strategically. WN already has all the real estate (excluding MIA) in Florida that they will ever need. That’s why you are not seeing WN add a lot of service to any city outside of MIA in Florida. I think once MIA is built out to where they want it to be, you will see some of the other markets like TPA and MCO be slowly built back up.

Thank you. It’s sometimes hard to visualize the strategy in the ever-expanding dartboard of the Southwest network!

Jshank83

Tue May 25, 2021 2:28 pm

And WN has been adding back in a lot of flights to TPA as they fill their schedule back in. I only pay close attention to STL but they got an extra daily TPA added back in for June. I assume it is happening other places also.

Western727

Tue May 25, 2021 4:09 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

That was my exact sentiment as well. WN and others adding new routes = ooh! F9 adding new routes = yeah, next airline gossip story, please.

Wneast

Wed May 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Does anybody think WN has anything special happening at there 50th birthday in a couple weeks or will it be low key? Or will we see new routes ?

SWADawg

Wed May 26, 2021 5:05 pm

Wneast wrote:
Does anybody think WN has anything special happening at there 50th birthday in a couple weeks or will it be low key? Or will we see new routes ?

You’re asking a question that nobody is going to know the answer to until June 18 comes and goes.

Flflyer83

Wed May 26, 2021 5:22 pm

Wneast wrote:

Well... it is a live event with people in attendance in Houston, so I’m sure something special will be announced, but what....no one knows. I’d venture to guess expanding to S. America from Houston. Lima, Quito, Medellin, Bogota, etc... as WN can now process foreign currency, they may be ready to venture south.

Boiler905

Wed May 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Well... it is a live event with people in attendance in Houston, so I’m sure something special will be announced, but what....no one knows. I’d venture to guess expanding to S. America from Houston. Lima, Quito, Medellin, Bogota, etc... as WN can now process foreign currency, they may be ready to venture south.

Surely some kind of semi-annual, lower-than-usual fare sale

av8tiongeek

Wed May 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Considering DAL is their home it's curious that they are holding their birthday celebration in Houston. They took over the Universal theme park in California to announce Hawaii service in 2017, so I'm expecting something on/before the 18th. We've only been waiting for S. America flying since 2012, so let's hope they announce service and more.

Jshank83

Wed May 26, 2021 6:27 pm

Wneast wrote:

Build a bears. What else do you want?

https://twitter.com/mrhibbard/status/13 ... 11987?s=21

jplatts

Wed May 26, 2021 7:03 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Considering DAL is their home it's curious that they are holding their birthday celebration in Houston. They took over the Universal theme park in California to announce Hawaii service in 2017, so I'm expecting something on/before the 18th. We've only been waiting for S. America flying since 2012, so let's hope they announce service and more.

I probably would expect WN to announce a few more new domestic nonstop routes out of both HOU and IAH such as HOU-ORD and IAH-ATL/STL.

WN was originally planning on serving NAS nonstop from HOU nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but WN had dropped those plans due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I would probably expect WN to add HOU-NAS nonstop service once demand recovers with WN having plans to return to all of the international destinations that were served by WN prior to the pandemic.

WN adding HOU-PLS nonstop service is a possibility with PLS being the only WN international destination outside of the Bahamas or Cuba served by WN prior to the COVID-19 pandemic that WN hasn't served nonstop from HOU.

WN adding afternoon departures out of HOU to its Caribbean and Central American destinations would allow WN to connect passengers to international destinations from the West Coast through HOU.

WN adding service to additional Caribbean destinations such as ANU, BGI, CUR, GND, KIN, PTP, POS, UVF, STT, SDQ, and SXM are possibilities.

Clearedfor28R

Wed May 26, 2021 8:06 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

When did WN gain the ability to start processing foreign currency?

KMCOFlyer

Wed May 26, 2021 8:44 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
Wneast wrote:
It looks like WN is using jetways at concourse E and F in addition to there hard stands at G so they must be finding more space for all the new flights they want to do

Right now if it’s a MAX it’s getting a jetway. G1, G6, F1, E4 and E6 have been used since they entered the rotation.

Does HNL have a Safe Travels checkpoint set up for the F Gates? If I recall those 2 gates come right out into the main Terminal hallway that connects you to all the concourses and is considered outside the “Safe Travels COVID zone”. At the C, E, and G Gates they have the checkpoints on the hallway from the gates to the Main Terminal?

Silver1SWA

Wed May 26, 2021 11:22 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
Wneast wrote:
It looks like WN is using jetways at concourse E and F in addition to there hard stands at G so they must be finding more space for all the new flights they want to do

Right now if it’s a MAX it’s getting a jetway. G1, G6, F1, E4 and E6 have been used since they entered the rotation.

Does HNL have a Safe Travels checkpoint set up for the F Gates? If I recall those 2 gates come right out into the main Terminal hallway that connects you to all the concourses and is considered outside the “Safe Travels COVID zone”. At the C, E, and G Gates they have the checkpoints on the hallway from the gates to the Main Terminal?

There is no checkpoint for the F gates so mainland arrivals will use E or G.

KMCOFlyer

Thu May 27, 2021 12:31 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

There is no checkpoint for the F gates so mainland arrivals will use E or G.

They should have all of WNs inter-island arrivals arrive at F since they require no screening in Oahu. It gets confusing for the screeners needing to segregate the inter-island arrivals in G from the mainland ones who need screening.

Midwestindy

Thu May 27, 2021 4:29 pm

More July flights added, flights with #6XXX

Wneast

Thu May 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I’m guessing more frequency to existing routes ?

AC4500

Thu May 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Wneast wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes. It's just an extension of the previous schedule.

Midwestindy

Thu May 27, 2021 8:28 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yes. It's just an extension of the previous schedule.

Some routes now have different frequencies, and overall there is now more capacity than June, or 97% of 2019.

Flflyer83

Thu May 27, 2021 11:14 pm

In June, WN operations are moving in HNL including check-in to Lobby 7 and additional gates. Also adding new gates in OGG and LIH. More to come, I’m sure.

Wneast

Fri May 28, 2021 12:43 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
In June, WN operations are moving in HNL including check-in to Lobby 7 and additional gates. Also adding new gates in OGG and LIH. More to come, I’m sure.

So in HNL their leaving there hard stand gates ?

sprxUSA

Fri May 28, 2021 2:09 am

More gates at OGG LIH or just relocation?

KMCOFlyer

Fri May 28, 2021 2:36 am

Flflyer83 wrote:

Hopefully they will move their baggage claim closer to the G Gates exit as well. Lobby 6 is one of the worst lobbies in HNL with the counters being so close to the curb, there’s not much room to walk around. I noticed Lobby 7 had empty counter between DL and AA so I guess this is where WN is going.

Wneast wrote:

I don’t believe so but they are starting to use more jetway gates. WN has used Gate G6 and E6 the past several days in addition to the handstand gates.
Last edited by KMCOFlyer on Fri May 28, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Fri May 28, 2021 2:39 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:

Hopefully they will move their baggage claim closer to the exit as well. Lobby 6 is one of the worst lobbies in HNL with the counters being so close to the curb, there’s not much room to walk around. I noticed Lobby 7 had empty counter between DL and AA so I guess this is where WN is going.

Wneast wrote:

I don’t believe so but they are starting to use more jetway gates. WN has used Gate G6 and E6 the past several days in addition to the handstand gates.

Seems that they might be getting two or three jetways at least for part of the day ? They seem to be getting what they want in HNL

KMCOFlyer

Fri May 28, 2021 3:29 am

Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
Flflyer83 wrote:

Hopefully they will move their baggage claim closer to the exit as well. Lobby 6 is one of the worst lobbies in HNL with the counters being so close to the curb, there’s not much room to walk around. I noticed Lobby 7 had empty counter between DL and AA so I guess this is where WN is going.

Wneast wrote:

Seems that they might be getting two or three jetways at least for part of the day ? They seem to be getting what they want in HNL

The HNL airport authority should give WN priority to use Gates F1 and F2 right now as they can’t be used for mainland arrivals now due to the lack of space to set up a Safe Travels arrival checkpoint. Since WN operates inter-island flights that don’t need screening, they can easily use F1 and F2 for inter-island arrivals and mainland departures to free up space in G for their mainland arrivals. With no other airline being able to use F for arrivals, there is no reason why WN shouldn’t be given priority for these Gates right now.

Silver1SWA

Fri May 28, 2021 10:56 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

The HNL airport authority should give WN priority to use Gates F1 and F2 right now as they can’t be used for mainland arrivals now due to the lack of space to set up a Safe Travels arrival checkpoint. Since WN operates inter-island flights that don’t need screening, they can easily use F1 and F2 for inter-island arrivals and mainland departures to free up space in G for their mainland arrivals. With no other airline being able to use F for arrivals, there is no reason why WN shouldn’t be given priority for these Gates right now.

Airlines don’t use F1 and F2 for mainland arrivals but they are used for departures. In the evening they’re often used by American and/or United. JAL and ANA use them during the day for their weekly flights.

I’ve said this many times already but HNL is a common use airport. While certain airlines have priority at certain gates/terminals, the gate schedule is basically assembled daily from scratch so yeah WN might be able to secure the use of gates/jetways but they will be plugged in whenever/wherever they fit. The airport is crowded. Everyone is trying to add flights at the same times.

As for the hardstand gates I don’t think they’ll be able to work their upcoming schedule without them but who knows. We hear lots of different things.

And yes they’re moving lobbies and getting a much needed T Point (bag room) carousel. They’ve already outgrown the straight belt.

av8tiongeek

Fri May 28, 2021 11:18 am

From a FA friend -
With our recent Hawaii service expansion, we’re moving a few of our facilities at three of our Hawaii stations.
· Honolulu, Oahu (HNL)—Our ticket counter will move from Lobby 6 to Lobby 7 and we will begin operating out of new gates in E and G. (These gate changes will occur in phases throughout the month of June.)
· Kahului, Maui (OGG)—Effective June 1, we will begin operating out of new gates.
· Lihue, Kauai (LIH)—Effective June 1, we will begin operating out of new gates.

KMCOFlyer

Fri May 28, 2021 6:21 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
From a FA friend -
With our recent Hawaii service expansion, we’re moving a few of our facilities at three of our Hawaii stations.
· Honolulu, Oahu (HNL)—Our ticket counter will move from Lobby 6 to Lobby 7 and we will begin operating out of new gates in E and G. (These gate changes will occur in phases throughout the month of June.)
· Kahului, Maui (OGG)—Effective June 1, we will begin operating out of new gates.
· Lihue, Kauai (LIH)—Effective June 1, we will begin operating out of new gates.

Interesting as WN is already using other HNL Gates in G and E right now. G1, G6, E4, and E6 have all been used by WN over the past few weeks.

delta777er

Mon May 31, 2021 1:18 am

Of Southwest's new stations do we know which are performing the best and worst? Any Guesses? Seems like MIA and SRQ may be the most popular.

wnflyguy

Mon May 31, 2021 2:48 am

delta777er wrote:
Of Southwest's new stations do we know which are performing the best and worst? Any Guesses? Seems like MIA and SRQ may be the most popular.

From everything I've seen PSP seems to be struggling. But it's still has better loads than ITO.

Flyguy

Jshank83

Mon May 31, 2021 3:16 am

wnflyguy wrote:
delta777er wrote:

From everything I've seen PSP seems to be struggling. But it's still has better loads than ITO.

Flyguy

How is ORD? I had heard some routes weren’t doing well.

Wneast

Mon May 31, 2021 3:23 am

Jshank83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
delta777er wrote:

Flyguy

I don’t know but they did increase DEN, BNA, BWI and added AUS and FLL what routes were you hearing about not doing well ?

Midwestindy

Mon May 31, 2021 3:34 am

Jshank83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
delta777er wrote:

Flyguy

Well ORD-BWI had a LF of 10% in February, and overall had the 6th lowest LF of any WN station that month, they'd be lower if not for the phoenix route being in the mid 80s.

Out of the new ones, MIA+SRQ are doing the best, MTJ & PSP (ORD got out of the gate slow) were arguable the worst load wise.

The ones performing the worst aren't really surprising, way too much capacity was put into PSP. In their pretty busy December period, most airlines were in the 20-30s in terms of LF.

Jshank83

Mon May 31, 2021 3:37 am

Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I don’t know but they did increase DEN, BNA, BWI and added AUS and FLL what routes were you hearing about not doing well ?

I know someone who was on BNA-ORD several times recently and said there was under 50 each flight. Could have just been coincidence though.

Wneast

Mon May 31, 2021 3:41 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I know someone who was on BNA-ORD several times recently and said there was under 50 each flight. Could have just been coincidence though.

Interesting that’s increased it by another flights for the summer I’m wondering, are those routes typically more business or leisure I’m pretty sure WN is in ORD for the long term so even if the routes aren’t doing as great they should be able to be successful, hopefully at some point

Wneast

Mon May 31, 2021 4:10 am

Is COS still not doing that well ?

Jshank83

Mon May 31, 2021 4:21 am

Wneast wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Interesting that’s increased it by another flights for the summer I’m wondering, are those routes typically more business or leisure I’m pretty sure WN is in ORD for the long term so even if the routes aren’t doing as great they should be able to be successful, hopefully at some point

One issue with ORD in my mind (and I could be wrong) is that routes that are treated more like a spoke that is going to have a bunch of connections (BWI/BNA) it is going to be hard to find takers. Either you just go to MDW for a nonstop wherever you plan to go, if you are loyal to WN, or you fly AA/UA out of ORD with a nonstop. Not much reason to fly ORD-BNA/BWI-XXX unless it is a lot cheaper but I can’t imagine it is.

OKCDCA

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 am

Wneast wrote:

What indications do you have COS isn’t doing well? I have no data other than word of mouth and observations flying in and out of COS. What I’ve heard from friends who have flown WN in and out of COS is DAL and MDW flights are always full. Sounds like DEN is hit or miss and the LAS and PHX flights are fairly open. When I’ve been at the airport (boarding full AA flights) the WN gate area is packed. Wish I had some concrete data though...

One piece of data I have seen though is COS had its best month ever in April. No doubt WN contributed to it.

Wneast

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:40 am

OKCDCA wrote:
Wneast wrote:

What indications do you have COS isn’t doing well? I have no data other than word of mouth and observations flying in and out of COS. What I’ve heard from friends who have flown WN in and out of COS is DAL and MDW flights are always full. Sounds like DEN is hit or miss and the LAS and PHX flights are fairly open. When I’ve been at the airport (boarding full AA flights) the WN gate area is packed. Wish I had some concrete data though...

One piece of data I have seen though is COS had its best month ever in April. No doubt WN contributed to it.

It must have been early on I heard the loads were at 50 percent which isn’t terrible I’m just saying I didn’t know if it was doing as well as said. I think we see Florida flying and California in the schedule extension hopefully if they have the planes ?

Wneast

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 am

Let’s all hope June 10th isn’t a bust, wnflyguy you still here haven’t heard any news or rumors in like days ?

av8tiongeek

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:54 am

Wneast wrote:
Let’s all hope June 10th isn’t a bust, wnflyguy you still here haven’t heard any news or rumors in like days ?

What are we expecting on the 10th? Did I miss something?

Dtwramp

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:55 am

next schedule extension with flights for sale through Jan 5,2022

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos