Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:58 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

It looks like WN moving into E at HNL has came at the expense of AA who has moved almost all their flights to C. This should help with the COVID safe travels lines as well as neither AA nor DL offerer the Hawaii pre-clear wristbands and both were arriving at E, causing crazy lines. AA moving to C should help with the lines upon arrival.

Seems reasonable with WN growing there HNL and whole hawaii operation that they make room for WN to expand in probably use most of the gates there when Hawaiian leaves right ? It’s probably also because AA do they even offer enough flights to need more then 1 and half gates

AA probably needs 3 Gates as their flights tend to arrive around the same time but it will be interesting to see what happens when INTL starts back up. Right now due to COVID restrictions and the need for arrival screenings, all HA mainland arrivals must arrive at either C, E, or G (with nearly all arriving at C right now) and I assume once the restrictions go away completely and the Mauka concourse opens up, HA will move most A330 mainland arrivals into the Mauka concourse (6 Gates) and all A321neo arrivals in A with INTL remaining on C. I’d assume there should be enough room for AA to stay on C as INTL flights are given priority there, but they can always use either D or F for overflow once all the COVID restrictions go away.

So will WN be the only one on the E concourse when that happens ? There wouldn’t be any airline after Hawaiian moves out of E right ? Could WN potentially have all ten gates in E at least most of the day
Last edited by Wneast on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMCOFlyer

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:05 am

Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Seems reasonable with WN growing there HNL and whole hawaii operation that they make room for WN to expand in probably use most of the gates there when Hawaiian leaves right ? It’s probably also because AA do they even offer enough flights to need more then 1 and half gates

AA probably needs 3 Gates as their flights tend to arrive around the same time but it will be interesting to see what happens when INTL starts back up. Right now due to COVID restrictions and the need for arrival screenings, all HA mainland arrivals must arrive at either C, E, or G (with nearly all arriving at C right now) and I assume once the restrictions go away completely and the Mauka concourse opens up, HA will move most A330 mainland arrivals into the Mauka concourse (6 Gates) and all A321neo arrivals in A with INTL remaining on C. I’d assume there should be enough room for AA to stay on C as INTL flights are given priority there, but they can always use either D or F for overflow once all the COVID restrictions go away.

So will WN be the only one on the E concourse when that happens ?

No, I assume DL and AS will continue to use E. I also just found this picture on Google of WNs new ticket counter setup in Lobby 7 at HNL which appears to be between DL and AAs counter. Looks much better than their old setup in Lobby 6 which was cramped and has no inline baggage screening.

Wneast

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:10 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

No, I assume DL and AS will continue to use E. I also just found this picture on Google of WNs new ticket counter setup in Lobby 7 at HNL which appears to be between DL and AAs counter. Looks much better than their old setup in Lobby 6 which was cramped and has no inline baggage screening.
How many does WN use in E now I would imagine if they needed more then six gates they could use others ? And lobby 7 looks much nicer seems they are for sure moving up in HNL they could offer more flights then Hawaiian to the mainland with the potential airports they could still add with ONT, maybe PDX with the max 8 and DEN,BUR,SNA coming online next summer with Max 7 etops maybe some other cites but those for sure

Wneast

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:12 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

How many does WN use in E now I would imagine if they needed more then six gates they could use others ? And lobby 7 looks much nicer seems they are for sure moving up in HNL they could offer more flights then Hawaiian to the mainland with the potential airports they could still add with ONT, maybe PDX with the max 8 and DEN,BUR,SNA coming online next summer with Max 7 etops maybe some other cites but those for sure. Side note I created a thread called WN operations might be good to start putting this all on there and peoples predictions over there so it doesn’t all have to be in this thread

KMCOFlyer

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:24 am

Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:

How many does WN use in E now I would imagine if they needed more then six gates they could use others ? And lobby 7 looks much nicer seems they are for sure moving up in HNL they could offer more flights then Hawaiian to the mainland with the potential airports they could still add with ONT, maybe PDX with the max 8 and DEN,BUR,SNA coming online next summer with Max 7 etops maybe some other cites but those for sure. Side note I created a thread called WN operations might be good to start putting this all on there and peoples predictions over there so it doesn’t all have to be in this thread

Today, WN had flights arrive at 11 different gates. Obviously they have to share the E Gates with AS and DL now and don’t have an exclusive agreement like they had in G, but it looks like they have access to 11 gates (they have also used F1 and G6 in other previous days) so plenty of room to grow. One issue I’ve heard WN still has is they only have 1 Baggage Claim carousel they can use (#21) and there have been reports of WN pax needing to wait 1+ hours for their bags to come off. Hopefully they find more baggage claim space soon.

- E1
- E2
- E3
- E4
- E5
- E6
- E7
- E8
- E9
- E10
- F2

Wneast

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

Today, WN had flights arrive at 11 different gates. Obviously they have to share the E Gates with AS and DL now and don’t have an exclusive agreement like they had in G, but it looks like they have access to 11 gates (they have also used F1 and G6 in other previous days) so plenty of room to grow. One issue I’ve heard WN still has is they only have 1 Baggage Claim carousel they can use (#21) and there have been reports of WN pax needing to wait 1+ hours for their bags to come off. Hopefully they find more baggage claim space soon.

- E1
- E2
- E3
- E4
- E5
- E6
- E7
- E8
- E9
- E10
- F2

Hopefully a issue they will solve with them adding even more flights. Maybe they should speed up the new diamond concourse highly unlikely and move WN there with all the gates they want or move DL and AS to make room for more WN in E or give them all E

Silver1SWA

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:16 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

- E1
- E2
- E3
- E4
- E5
- E6
- E7
- E8
- E9
- E10
- F2

E1-E10 and F1 and F2 seem to be the gates WN will use regularly. G1 and G6 could be used as well but it appears E and F is where the action is going to be from now on. Keep in mind they’re not all used at the same times so it’s a constant game of musical gates with AS, DL and possible spillover AA who’s moved mostly to C.

WN primarily uses baggage claim carousel 20 with 21 and 22 used as backup if they’re not being used by someone else. Lengthy bag drop times are a combination of being restricted to one carousel and growing pains leading to staffing issues that will hopefully be resolved soon.

The move to lobby 7 was huge because it’s hooked up to a T-Point (Bag Room) carousel instead of the straight belt/piers linked to lobby 6. Those belts just couldn’t keep up with the bag volume.

The abrupt and unannounced (officially) move has created a bit of a shock to the operation so it’s been a challenging week. Things are gradually getting figured out. I do already miss the small and unique hardstand operation though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

KMCOFlyer

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:30 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:

- E1
- E2
- E3
- E4
- E5
- E6
- E7
- E8
- E9
- E10
- F2

E1-E10 and F1 and F2 seem to be the gates WN will use regularly. G1 and G6 could be used as well but it appears E and F is where the action is going to be from now on. Keep in mind they’re not all used at the same times so it’s a constant game of musical gates with AS, DL and possible spillover AA who’s moved mostly to C.

WN primarily uses baggage claim carousel 20 with 21 and 22 used as backup if they’re not being used by someone else. Lengthy bag drop times are a combination of being restricted to one carousel and growing pains leading to staffing issues that will hopefully be resolved soon.

The move to lobby 7 was huge because it’s hooked up to a T-Point (Bag Room) carousel instead of the straight belt/piers linked to lobby 6. Those belts just couldn’t keep up with the bag volume.

The abrupt and unannounced (officially) move has created a bit of a shock to the operation so it’s been a challenging week. Things are gradually getting figured out. I do already miss the small and unique hardstand operation though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll miss the G hardstands as well but WN had clearly outgrown the area. They will obviously have to share the E Gates with AS and DL, but E gives them more room to expand without needing to split their ops across multiple concourses. It looks like DL is now using AAs old gates that they used at the end of E (E8-E10) while AS still using E2 and E4 but WN appears to have priority over all the other E Gates. It will be interesting to see what happens when DL and AS get back to their pre-COVID schedule (both still aren’t back to 2019 level frequency to HNL) and they need more E Gates but it appears WN has more room to grow in E if needed as the gates aren’t maxed out yet.

southwest1675

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:35 pm

Anyone have any idea how many planes are left in Canyon Blue?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

gr8slvrflt

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Last update: 167 or about 23% of the fleet.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

jplatts

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of LGB in March 2021:
AUS-LGB - 6399 passengers, 9314 seats, 68.70% load factor
DAL-LGB - 4451 passengers, 5991 seats, 74.29% load factor
DEN-LGB - 14499 passengers, 28300 seats, 51.23% load factor
HNL-LGB - 3265 passengers, 7350 seats, 44.42% load factor
HOU-LGB - 3882 passengers, 7015 seats, 55.34% load factor
LAS-LGB - 17722 passengers, 30426 seats, 58.25% load factor
LGB-MDW - 4102 passengers, 6823 seats, 60.12% load factor
LGB-OAK - 8709 passengers, 27792 seats, 31.34% load factor
LGB-OGG - 5161 passengers, 7350 seats, 70.22% load factor
LGB-PHX - 12541 passengers, 28215 seats, 44.45% load factor
LGB-RNO - 3761 passengers, 6070 seats, 61.96% load factor
LGB-SJC - 3129 passengers, 17362 seats, 18.02% load factor
LGB-SMF - 10870 passengers, 27018 seats, 40.23% load factor
LGB-STL - 2546 passengers, 6919 seats, 36.80% load factor

WN732

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:31 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of LGB in March 2021:

Some of that is not too bad for March. I'd be interested to see what May looks like.

Wneast

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:35 pm

WN732 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Some of that is not too bad for March. I'd be interested to see what May looks like.

Especially a lot of those started in March right ?

Ishrion

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:40 pm

Not sure if new, Southwest's next schedule extension is slated for September 16, 2021 which will extend the schedule through April 24, 2022.

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

SteveXC500

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:22 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Not sure if new, Southwest's next schedule extension is slated for September 16, 2021 which will extend the schedule through April 24, 2022.

By 9/16, WN will have just 3.5 months available for sale. Wow, that seems extremely low. Any thoughts?

Wneast

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

By 9/16, WN will have just 3.5 months available for sale. Wow, that seems extremely low. Any thoughts?

It’s always subject to change so it come before who knows

cledaybuck

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Agreed. Seems like there should be an interim release in late Julyish for January and February.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

737Jason

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:45 am

Does anybody know what the "Surprise" Southwest has for thier customers starting on the 15th? My Guess is maybe 50 dollar flights......

Wneast

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:00 am

737Jason wrote:
Does anybody know what the "Surprise" Southwest has for thier customers starting on the 15th? My Guess is maybe 50 dollar flights......

Where are you seeing a surprise on the 15th ?

HeeseokKoo

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:01 am

737Jason wrote:

More like 50% base-fare off going on right now, between mid September until early November.

khaba

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am

Wneast wrote:
737Jason wrote:

not heard anything either, just friday's rally

737Jason

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:23 am

[url][/url]
Wneast wrote:
737Jason wrote:

It is right on Wn's Website, on the homepage.

Wneast

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:26 am

737Jason wrote:
[url][/url]
Wneast wrote:
737Jason wrote:

It is right on Wn's Website, on the homepage.

I’m not seeing anything on the website what does it say nvm it’s on desktop

khaba

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 am

oh yeah, I see it now. Gotta be a $50 fares or something. Or yeah, a reannoucement of half off.
Last edited by khaba on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:38 am

Probably a fare sale leading up the 50th rally on Friday

khaba

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:54 am

hearing there's a systemwide outage, planes offloading.

e: all from twitter, apartently a wx system crashed.

Atlwarrior

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:19 am

Can someone explain why the braking seems so hard on Southwest''s 737-700? Is it typical for that type of aircraft. I've flown Southwest out of Myrtle Beach twice recently.

khaba

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:34 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
Can someone explain why the braking seems so hard on Southwest''s 737-700? Is it typical for that type of aircraft. I've flown Southwest out of Myrtle Beach twice recently.

It's rough into MDW or SNA, but those are shorter runways and you'll feel it more than other places. Otherwise, it could be due to pilot operation.

SteveXC500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:56 am

Wneast wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

It’s always subject to change so it come before who knows

Obviously. We all know that. In a normal year, they usually don’t let the for sale inventory drop to this length of time, hence the question.
Yes, they have moved dates before; been around long enough to have experienced it. But, they generally haven’t moved it too much from a stated date, here as 9/16/21.

iAvgeek737

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:57 am

Wneast wrote:
737Jason wrote:

I got it through Southwest email list

Atlwarrior

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:15 am

khaba wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

It's rough into MDW or SNA, but those are shorter runways and you'll feel it more than other places. Otherwise, it could be due to pilot operation.

Thanks, the 737-700 braking was hard into MYR twice which uses the former Air Force runway, I think it's at least 9,000 feet.

PVD523

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am

khaba wrote:

Assuming it's been corrected but definitely some delays earlier tonight. Here in the northeast Flt 878 BWI-PVD was delayed 3 hours. Flt 697 MCO-PVD was delayed 2.5 hours. Flt 884 BNA-BOS delayed 3 hours. Flt 173 BWI-BDL delayed 3 hours. Etc...

WN ramp crew here at PVD was expecting 5+ hour delays so certainly a headache but seems it could've been worse.

Western727

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:12 pm

PVD523 wrote:
khaba wrote:

Assuming it's been corrected but definitely some delays earlier tonight. Here in the northeast Flt 878 BWI-PVD was delayed 3 hours. Flt 697 MCO-PVD was delayed 2.5 hours. Flt 884 BNA-BOS delayed 3 hours. Flt 173 BWI-BDL delayed 3 hours. Etc...

WN ramp crew here at PVD was expecting 5+ hour delays so certainly a headache but seems it could've been worse.

Ground stop due to a "3rd party weather information" provider conking out. Seems like it was for a couple of hours.
Jack @ AUS

av8tiongeek

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:24 pm

Does anyone know where the 50th rally is being held in Houston on Friday?

N408BN

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:53 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Southwest is no longer the quirky LCC where tickets could only be booked locally.

SWA signs with Sabre for full GDS participation. They previously had "Basic-Level" content model with Sabre which they announced previously would be ending due friction with the legacy technology involved.

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... -agreement

Back in the day, Southwest had the opportunity to get the full Braniff Cowboy system. It would have allowed them to do, 35 years ago, what they are trying to do today.
Interhational ticketing capability and all.
Braniff got you there with Flying Colors

dbo861

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:59 pm

It's a fare sale. 50% off 50 days of fall travel.

wnflyguy

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:24 pm

N408BN wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Southwest is no longer the quirky LCC where tickets could only be booked locally.

SWA signs with Sabre for full GDS participation. They previously had "Basic-Level" content model with Sabre which they announced previously would be ending due friction with the legacy technology involved.

Back in the day, Southwest had the opportunity to get the full Braniff Cowboy system. It would have allowed them to do, 35 years ago, what they are trying to do today.

WN back in the Day Herb and company never envisioned itself flying internationally so it bought just the domestic capabilities from Braniff.

Now with OneRes/Amadeus they HAD the opportunity to do Everything right and SCREWED up by Dumbing down the technology.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

av8tiongeek

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
N408BN wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

WN back in the Day Herb and company never envisioned itself flying internationally so it bought just the domestic capabilities from Braniff.

Now with OneRes/Amadeus they HAD the opportunity to do Everything right and SCREWED up by Dumbing down the technology.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

Imagine what WN could do if they got out of their own way.

wnflyguy

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm

So my Mail inbox has been blowing up with questions about what's going to happen on the 50th anniversary in regards to a major announcement.
It's A party that's it. Nothing shocking expected or planned.
The big route Announcement was the Hawaii expansion and additional MAX7 orders for 2022.
Nothing else is expected until the MAX7 Etops arrives on property.
I honestly think the remaining days of 2021 will be quite until the Fall quarterly conference call happens when they release Spring flying and give early insight on 2022 capacity.

18 new cities,Hawaii expansion,Huge MAX7 order and a Pandemic kept things exciting enough for
2021 wouldn't you say.

Happy 50th anniversary WN now relax and enjoy the party!

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

737MAX7

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Another systems crash. Phone lines down, weight and balance systems down among others. This is feeling like a hack/ransomware attack to me, hope I’m wrong.

WN732

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:17 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
Another systems crash. Phone lines down, weight and balance systems down among others. This is feeling like a hack/ransomware attack to me, hope I’m wrong.

Yikes, perhaps that could have been the cause of the weather system crash the day before.

737MAX7

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:31 pm

WN732 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

Yikes, perhaps that could have been the cause of the weather system crash the day before.

Tis why I’m leaning towards a hack, way too much coincidence.

WNCrew

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:45 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
737MAX7 wrote:

Tis why I’m leaning towards a hack, way too much coincidence.

Yesterday's issue was with a vendor, not the WN systems.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Wneast

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 pm

I get that’s there probably won’t be anything like wnflyguy said at the birthday but anybody know why they would move it to Houston is that just so more employees can make it the rally ?

Justjoshua

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:32 am

Wneast wrote:
I get that’s there probably won’t be anything like wnflyguy said at the birthday but anybody know why they would move it to Houston is that just so more employees can make it the rally ?

I personally think they will announce our first South American flight from Houston

Southwest also said they were allowing a limited number of employees at this virtual rally. There has got to be a reason they are hosting this virtual rally in Houston. They say there will be surprises!!!

av8tiongeek

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:13 am

It's a virtual rally with a limited number randomly selected to attend in person alone, without a guest. I, too, believe there is a reason they chose Houston over their hometown of Dallas. Hoping they finally announce S. America along with more Caribbean destinations. Looking for a new livery or two as well. We'll know soon enough.

Western727

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:39 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
It's a virtual rally with a limited number randomly selected to attend in person alone, without a guest. I, too, believe there is a reason they chose Houston over their hometown of Dallas. Hoping they finally announce S. America along with more Caribbean destinations. Looking for a new livery or two as well. We'll know soon enough.

Any wild guesses on South America, if that's indeed one of the surprises?

BOG - 2,200 mi
UIO - 2,332 mi
LIM - 3,110 mi (longer than LAS-HNL, which is 2,762 mi)

...maybe MDE (2,070 mi)? CCS is clearly out due to the unfortunate state of affairs in Venezuela, where I spent a week in the late 90s and loved it.
Jack @ AUS

pmanni1

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:45 pm

Justjoshua wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I personally think they will announce our first South American flight from Houston

Southwest also said they were allowing a limited number of employees at this virtual rally. There has got to be a reason they are hosting this virtual rally in Houston. They say there will be surprises!!!

If they want to compete with AA in Miami they need to offer some connections. Right now WN at MIA offers nothing but O&D traffic.

av8tiongeek

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Western727 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

BOG - 2,200 mi
UIO - 2,332 mi

...maybe MDE (2,070 mi)? CCS is clearly out due to the unfortunate state of affairs in Venezuela, where I spent a week in the late 90s and loved it.

I'd take any or all of them. We'll know in two days...I hope.

Western727

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:52 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Western727 wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

BOG - 2,200 mi
UIO - 2,332 mi

I'd take any or all of them. We'll know in two days...I hope.

Oh, me too! BTW, I should add that the above distances are from HOU.
Jack @ AUS