Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:33 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well all the WN peeps we're hoping a big afternoon announcement was coming. Well its here...Drum roll ....WN is renaming of the HDQ building after Herb. In addition Herb and Colleen offices were turning into a museum inside HDQ.

Cool nevertheless but A Hawaii expansion announcement would have been cool also.

Flyguy

So could we still see flights added to Hawaii on Thursday?

AC4500

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:37 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
So instead we will start to see more flights added to the new cities and to existing flights after EUG and Bellingham get added ?

Here are my predictions for BLI/EUG:

BLI:
- 1x daily LAS
- 1x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX

EUG:
- 2x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX
- 1x daily LAS

This may be over the top, especially for EUG, as I'm a bit biased as an Oregonian myself. Maybe some of those routes will end up being Saturday-only. Hopefully we'll see what they have planned on April 1st.

I think BLI will be 2 LAS, 1 DEN and 1 OAK.
Because there focuses on Vancouver passengers I wouldn't be surprised if 1 HNL would be in the future plans.

EUG I see 2 OAK, 2 LAS and 1 DEN.

Flyguy

WN has been pretty keen on going after Allegiant as of late, so I guess more LAS frequencies from BLI/EUG wouldn't surprise me. I thought OAK didn't really perform well for WN to smaller markets, which is why we only see 1x on SBA-OAK. It'll be interesting to see what the network planning team comes up with...

wnflyguy

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:50 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Here are my predictions for BLI/EUG:

BLI:
- 1x daily LAS
- 1x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX

EUG:
- 2x daily DEN
- 1x daily PHX
- 1x daily LAS

This may be over the top, especially for EUG, as I'm a bit biased as an Oregonian myself. Maybe some of those routes will end up being Saturday-only. Hopefully we'll see what they have planned on April 1st.

I think BLI will be 2 LAS, 1 DEN and 1 OAK.
Because there focuses on Vancouver passengers I wouldn't be surprised if 1 HNL would be in the future plans.

EUG I see 2 OAK, 2 LAS and 1 DEN.

Flyguy

WN has been pretty keen on going after Allegiant as of late, so I guess more LAS frequencies from BLI/EUG wouldn't surprise me. I thought OAK didn't really perform well for WN to smaller markets, which is why we only see 1x on SBA-OAK. It'll be interesting to see what the network planning team comes up with...

OAK from EUG 2 times a day if timed correctly would connect to all of Southern California,Hawaii and some Midwest destinations.
Unlike Allegiant which solely markets towards point to point flying WN attracts that and connections.

Flyguy

Silver1SWA

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:17 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well all the WN peeps we're hoping a big afternoon announcement was coming. Well its here...Drum roll ....WN is renaming of the HDQ building after Herb. In addition Herb and Colleen offices were turning into a museum inside HDQ.

Cool nevertheless but A Hawaii expansion announcement would have been cool also.

Flyguy

Y’all need to calm down with the expectations. Telling employees to keep an eye on the internal site for a fun announcement doesn’t sound like a major public announcement to me.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:37 pm

Let’s be honest are they going to announce anything on Thursday since they announced all those routes last week ?

Jshank83

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 pm

Wneast wrote:
Let’s be honest are they going to announce anything on Thursday since they announced all those routes last week ?

No one here knows. Probably they will but it is anyones guess on what it will be.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

No one here knows. Probably they will but it is anyones guess on what it will be.

Hopefully we see some good adds

DeltaRules

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:16 pm

evank516 wrote:
BMAirbusFan320 wrote:
FLLspotter747 wrote:

As a DAB spotter, I can confirm that gate space is NOT an issue. We joke around 24/7 that its a good day when you have 2 gates occupied at the same time.

But yes I definitely see WN giving a crack at DAB, especially with their latest trend on opening service at smaller/secondary airports.

As another DAB spotter, there are no issues with gate space. There is some space where they can use a remote gate, and if they were intersted they could renovate the international terminal. However, there is a run-up area used by some of the flight schools that is relatively close to terminal which could potentially cause some issues.

I didn’t think so either, it’s just what I heard.

4&6 are DL, 3&5 are AA, 2 is CUTE and I guess 1 is totally free. My theory would be WN taking 1 and using 2 for any extra RON overflow.

I've been going to DAB since 2002 and the only time I've ever seen 1 used was 3M's brief stint there, which has always been curious to me given it's the first gate past TSA and the shortest walk. Surprised DL moved to 6 from 2.

evank516

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
evank516 wrote:
BMAirbusFan320 wrote:

As another DAB spotter, there are no issues with gate space. There is some space where they can use a remote gate, and if they were intersted they could renovate the international terminal. However, there is a run-up area used by some of the flight schools that is relatively close to terminal which could potentially cause some issues.

I didn’t think so either, it’s just what I heard.

4&6 are DL, 3&5 are AA, 2 is CUTE and I guess 1 is totally free. My theory would be WN taking 1 and using 2 for any extra RON overflow.

I've been going to DAB since 2002 and the only time I've ever seen 1 used was 3M's brief stint there, which has always been curious to me given it's the first gate past TSA and the shortest walk. Surprised DL moved to 6 from 2.

CO used to use 1. They probably moved to 3 after they returned post-9/11. DL used 1 as overflow on occasion too. I remember going out of 1 in 2007 or 2008 on DL.

As for moving to 2, I think DAB did work on the jetway at 2 so DL moved and just never moved back.

737max8

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Y’all need to calm down with the expectations. Telling employees to keep an eye on the internal site for a fun announcement doesn’t sound like a major public announcement to me.

I was promised Iceland or more Hawaii adds but all I got was a renamed building?

But in serious talk, naming HDQ after Herb was the right (and only) thing to do for that building.

Wneast

Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:49 pm

737max8 wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

I was promised Iceland or more Hawaii adds but all I got was a renamed building?

But in serious talk, naming HDQ after Herb was the right (and only) thing to do for that building.

I mean we still have Thursday so who knows

bob75013

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 pm

pmanni1

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:15 pm

MLI is the most curious to me. On their Quad Cities airport fb page they're announcing something big and I think it's WN. They're using the same shade of red in the WN heart logo as a teaser. I don't know what else it would be.

SteveXC500

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm

bob75013 wrote:

I believe that is just a summary of everything that's already been announced; nothing new.

joeblow10

Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:48 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
MLI is the most curious to me. On their Quad Cities airport fb page they're announcing something big and I think it's WN. They're using the same shade of red in the WN heart logo as a teaser. I don't know what else it would be.

People are reaching on that post. Reading it again - sounds more like some big announcement of an airport upgrade or something... it doesn’t even read like a route announcement.

SWADawg

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

People are reaching on that post. Reading it again - sounds more like some big announcement of an airport upgrade or something... it doesn’t even read like a route announcement.

It sounds like a service announcement to me. I’d say it’s a coin flip as to whether it’s Southwest or not. I can’t see them being that excited over Sun Country or Frontier, but you never know. Having grown up there and working for an Airline servicing that Airport for years, they might be over hyping something that isn’t as earth shattering as Southwest serving the Airport, but you never know. I would think that the route would have already leaked from Southwest by now if they were going to announce that route today. Usually new route announcements come out before the afternoon, so it seems unlikely, but I would love to be proven wrong as I think Southwest would do very well in MLI.

pmanni1

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:11 pm

SWADawg wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

It sounds like a service announcement to me. I’d say it’s a coin flip as to whether it’s Southwest or not. I can’t see them being that excited over Sun Country or Frontier, but you never know. Having grown up there and working for an Airline servicing that Airport for years, they might be over hyping something that isn’t as earth shattering as Southwest serving the Airport, but you never know. I would think that the route would have already leaked from Southwest by now if they were going to announce that route today. Usually new route announcements come out before the afternoon, so it seems unlikely, but I would love to be proven wrong as I think Southwest would do very well in MLI.

Frontier highly unlikely to change the future of an airport and Sun Country definitely unlikely.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:19 pm

SWADawg wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

I would be pretty surprised it if was Southwest. When was the last time a station had a press conference for Southwest? On top of that when was it they had one pre schedule release? They have added how many new stations in the past year and I don't think any of them had a press conference. Sometime airports don't even get a heads up when they get a new route added until they see it in the schedule release. Never say never but this out be out of character.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Here we go.

Quad City International Airport terminal improvement project announcement expected Tuesday

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/q ... NewsSearch

So no new airline.

SWADawg

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:05 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Here we go.

Quad City International Airport terminal improvement project announcement expected Tuesday

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/q ... NewsSearch

So no new airline.

Well there you go then. Good find.

tphuang

Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:31 pm

I don't know if this was announced, but looks like WN added ORD-MCO/LAS.

CIDFlyer

Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:37 pm

I figured MLI would be terminal related and not service related. If WN were to go anywhere in this area I would think CID would be a better fit and that’s even a stretch but CID has restored all routes whereas MLI still waiting on MSP and DTW to come back. Just looking at FlightAware you can see the difference of how many flights a day CID gets compared to MLI.

sprxUSA

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:01 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
I figured MLI would be terminal related and not service related. If WN were to go anywhere in this area I would think CID would be a better fit and that’s even a stretch but CID has restored all routes whereas MLI still waiting on MSP and DTW to come back. Just looking at FlightAware you can see the difference of how many flights a day CID gets compared to MLI.

I'd rather them go to PIA. ..

SWADawg

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:08 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:

I disagree. MLI would pull from as far away as Cedar Rapids and Iowa City in Eastern Iowa and as far as Peoria and surrounding areas in West Central Illinois. MLI has a larger overall catchment area from a geographic location than Cedar Rapids or Peoria.

mli717fan

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 pm

MLI's announcement was a terminal renovation and new name/logo, so no service announcement. Dang!

SWADawg wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

I disagree. MLI would pull from as far away as Cedar Rapids and Iowa City in Eastern Iowa and as far as Peoria and surrounding areas in West Central Illinois. MLI has a larger overall catchment area from a geographic location than Cedar Rapids or Peoria.

I agree, and CID already has F9 and better G4 service. Back when MLI had FL, we had more enplanements than CID. Currently, we leak A LOT of traffic to Chicago.

Ishrion

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Here's the Hawaii announcement :spin: (it's about Pre-Clear, no new routes)

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/relea ... nto-hawaii

Wneast

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:17 pm

Ishrion wrote:

I would have to imagine they are going to add new routes with all the job hiring in HNL and OGG within in the next month I wonder if we could see a announcement at the end of April, maybe earlier but they moved up there schedule extension from when they thought were getting etops on the max 8, could be a chance they needed to announce other new routes and etops isn’t coming tell late may ?

CIDFlyer

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 pm

SWADawg wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

I honestly don’t feel it’s that much difference for catchment area. The further you go into Illinois you have to compete with ORD and MDW. CID not only serves Cedar Rapids/Iowa City a metro of 400k but also up the 380 corridor to Waterloo/Cedar Falls and up 151 to Dubuque and Marshalltown to the west. I’ve even seen cars from up from Decorah/mason city area and down to mount pleasant area in the parking lot so it has a big swath to pull from and MLI is basically the only nearby competition where as MLI competes with both PIA and CID for traffic not to mention ORD and MDW somewhat

wnflyguy

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Making this announcement in a since grease the wheels for a Future travel and Growth Announcement.
This is a crafty way of educating the passengers on Covid protocols for Hawaii travel.
Hawaii growth is coming and traditionally WN gives about a 3 month window from Sale to Fly on new markets.
The original Hawaii service was such a short window of Sale to Fly because the rolling Government shutdown stalled the ETOPS certification process.
This time if WN intends to expand Hawaii service as part of its 50th anniversary month of June.
Then April 1 schedule release could easily include new Hawaii MAX8 flying. Because April 1 to whatever June launch date is enough time to achieve MAX8 Etops certification.

Flyguy

Wneast

Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:44 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Making this announcement in a since grease the wheels for a Future travel and Growth Announcement.
This is a crafty way of educating the passengers on Covid protocols for Hawaii travel.
Hawaii growth is coming and traditionally WN gives about a 3 month window from Sale to Fly on new markets.
The original Hawaii service was such a short window of Sale to Fly because the rolling Government shutdown stalled the ETOPS certification process.
This time if WN intends to expand Hawaii service as part of its 50th anniversary month of June.
Then April 1 schedule release could easily include new Hawaii MAX8 flying. Because April 1 to whatever June launch date is enough time to achieve MAX8 Etops certification.

Flyguy

I wouldn’t be surprised because I wonder why they would give that announcement so much hype unless something bigger was coming how do you see it playing out like they’ll add PHX and LAS in June and then continue to add and increase the other routes through July and august ? How big do you think they announcement will be larger then when they initially added Hawaii for sale ?

airportugal310

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:22 pm

Southwest is literally the LAST airline to the party when it comes to pre-clearing passengers to Hawaii. Everyone else has been doing it for over a month now...

airplaneboy

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:44 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
Southwest is literally the LAST airline to the party when it comes to pre-clearing passengers to Hawaii. Everyone else has been doing it for over a month now...

What a pity that they were last! Thank you for enlightening us with that highly interesting fact!

Cheers!

wnflyguy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:06 am

airportugal310 wrote:

Yes that is True BUT and it's a big BUT.
Hawaii was essentially closed for quite some time to Mainland tourists because of the Covid lockout so there really wasn't a need or a mad Rush to be the first in this process.
Now that Hawaii has reopened for the most part.

So WN is now in line with everyone else during the spring break rebound.

Flyguy

Silver1SWA

Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:23 am

wnflyguy wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

Yes that is True BUT and it's a big BUT.
Hawaii was essentially closed for quite some time to Mainland tourists because of the Covid lockout so there really wasn't a need or a mad Rush to be the first in this process.
Now that Hawaii has reopened for the most part.

So WN is now in line with everyone else during the spring break rebound.

Flyguy

It really doesn’t matter if they were first or last. They now offer it so an announcement to their customers is appropriate.

This place sometimes. The same happened when they started flying to Hawaii. “What’s the big deal, not like they’re the first!” Well it’s a big deal to their employees and CUSTOMERS.

737max8

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 am

Im sure WN will laugh at a.net as they fly tons of pax to Hawaii every day

Wneast

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:49 pm

Anybody know what time we could see new flights being loaded in for the schedule extension tonight ?

AC4500

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:57 pm

Wneast wrote:
Anybody know what time we could see new flights being loaded in for the schedule extension tonight ?

Southwest doesn't load the flights until the following day (8 AM Central Time if I recall, it might be earlier then that though).

wnflyguy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:30 pm

Wneast wrote:

The Bulk of the base schedule usually starts to load at 05:00 HERB.
Sometimes Additional flights are left out until later for Special reason like it's own announcement.

Flyguy

Wneast

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:33 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Sometimes Additional flights are left out until later for Special reason like it's own announcement.

Flyguy

Would Hawaii be it’s own anouncement ?

wnflyguy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:10 pm

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Wneast wrote:

Flyguy

Would Hawaii be it’s own anouncement ?

Since Southwest is already serving Hawaii It really isn't needed.
New cities tend to get their own attention so anything is really possible tomorrow.
Place your bets at the Arm chair planning table and wait for the roulette wheel to stop spinning.
Few things we know right now.
WN still Needs to release the EUG and BLI schedules planned for summer time.
They are currently making progress on receiving MAX8 ETOPS certification before June.
And If Summer time booking treads keep rising like they did for Spring Break WN is gonna need to resume flying the 100 or so parked 700s.
As always fingers crossed and high hopes!

Flyguy

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am

So far it looks as if WN just extended the current August base schedule only to November 6.
MJT and HDN look to have shifted to year round destinations now.
Not seeing anything else new.
Heck I'm not seeing any MAX8 aircraft In the schedule at all.
I will say that it definitely looks like some pending additions are coming because a lot of the cities flight schedules are looking like a bad Tetris game gone mad with Huge imbalances with aircraft flows.

Whomp whomp!

Flyguy

SteveXC500

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:58 am

wnflyguy wrote:
So far it looks as if WN just extended the current August base schedule only to November 6.
I will say that it definitely looks like some pending additions are coming because a lot of the cities flight schedules are looking like a bad Tetris game gone mad with Huge imbalances with aircraft flows.

Whomp whomp!

Flyguy

Either a glitch or April Fools. As of just before 0700 CT, I see no extension yet

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:59 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Whomp whomp!

Flyguy

Are you thinking we are going to a announcement later ?

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:07 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Whomp whomp!

Flyguy

Either a glitch or April Fools. As of just before 0700 CT, I see no extension yet

I was using Google and Southwest.com comparing July 21,2021 schedules with October 21,2021.
Some markets especially on Saturdays don't match up. For instance Sunday thru Friday some cities will have 2 nightly RON aircraft and 2 morning Originating aircraft . But on Saturday there's a random 3ed or 4th originating aircraft. There's some cities that will have a Saturday only flight to DAL but there's no inbound flights to reposition a aircraft for the flight. Or the extra Saturday only flight has the inbound flight arriving well after the Saturday only outbound flight has departed which gives the none MX city an additional aircraft sitting idle for 6 days.

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wneast

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
SteveXC500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Whomp whomp!

Flyguy

I was using Google and Southwest.com comparing July 21,2021 schedules with October 21,2021.
Some markets especially on Saturdays don't match up. For instance Sunday thru Friday some cities will have 2 nightly RON aircraft and 2 morning Originating aircraft . But on Saturday there's a random 3 or 4 originating aircraft.

Flyguy

Hmm maybe they are announcing there Hawaii expansion... there has to be reason because we have to see some stuff so it must being done later

SteveXC500

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:16 pm

Could just be a technical snag on their end too.

Jshank83

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:18 pm

It’s not always out by now. Sometimes it is as late as 9 central. Just be patient.

av8tiongeek

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:24 pm

Where do you find the extension most of the time?

wnflyguy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:25 pm

LGB running 35 flights a day until November 6.
One has to wonder if DL did give up some of the remedy slots it had since the additional slots beyond the 180 day temporary useable threshold.

Flyguy

Jshank83

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Where do you find the extension most of the time?

Just wait for them to load on their site. I don’t know what flyguy is looking at because southwest.com isn’t updated yet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos