Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AC4500

Re: Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 03, 2021 2:45 pm

Jonboi252009 wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
Sooooooo the flights aren't posted for sale yet but Southwest will be offering nonstop service to Hawaii in the last week ofJune....They are posted on crewmembers bid lines for June but this hasn't been announced nor posted for sale yet....STAY TUNED!!!
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

Actually, some of these flights are starting in the 1st week of June. My bad.

They already fly OAK-HNL. Did you mean LAS-HNL?

Wneast

Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
Sooooooo the flights aren't posted for sale yet but Southwest will be offering nonstop service to Hawaii in the last week ofJune....They are posted on crewmembers bid lines for June but this hasn't been announced nor posted for sale yet....STAY TUNED!!!
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

I think it means a increase of flying on that route ?

eta unknown

Re: Southwest's Top Ten Connecting Airports

Mon May 03, 2021 2:50 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/southwest-transit-passengers/

Shows what 2 years and a pandemic can do to one carrier's network strategy.

1. Surprised LAS is as high as it is. I would have thought that was more of an O&D station. I would have thought PHX would be higher.

2. Wouldn't be surprised to see BNA move up to the top 5 someday.

WN has LAS down to a science. They do lots of connections rather then flying empty planes. The demand is super day of the week up and down probably more then any city in america as weekends and events are such a focus. They do lots of connections on the off days. On a friday when everyone is heading into las those flights are oversold with almost all o&d into vegas. Those same planes out of las are all connections on a Wednesday when there isn't that much demand in or out. They get to fly pretty full planes using las as a connection city when there's less demand and o&d when the demand is high. Keep the planes full

It's interesting WN has changed focus. I remember LAS Airport was on record years ago saying they didn't want transit traffic and at the time WN offered few connections via LAS. Times change...

AC4500

Mon May 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:

Maybe. They already fly it twice daily. Is there really that much room for more capacity in the market?

Wneast

Mon May 03, 2021 2:55 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Maybe. They already fly it twice daily. Is there really that much room for more capacity in the market?

Yes I think with Alaska gone they increase there flying in that market

wnflyguy

Mon May 03, 2021 3:05 pm

This is from a creditable WN source.
GK will be hosting a special ALOHA virtual update on WN 2021 battle plan on Monday May 10, 2021 at 13:00 Herb/ CST. Fares and flights scheduled for the additional Hawaii flights will be released that day or shortly after the event/press release.
Some additional other NEW flights are also scheduled to be announced for July and August.

So in a nut shell NO Hawaii expansion announcement until Next week.

Enjoy or Don't.

Flyguy

SANFan

Mon May 03, 2021 4:08 pm

Jonboi252009 wrote:
Sooooooo the flights aren't posted for sale yet but Southwest will be offering nonstop service to Hawaii in the last week of June....They are posted on crewmembers bid lines for June but this hasn't been announced nor posted for sale yet....STAY TUNED!!!
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

With no additional Islands served from SAN? We just get one HNL flight I guess?

Thank you WN for promises unkept..... I'll remember next time I book a flight.

bb

WN732

Mon May 03, 2021 4:13 pm

SANFan wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
Sooooooo the flights aren't posted for sale yet but Southwest will be offering nonstop service to Hawaii in the last week of June....They are posted on crewmembers bid lines for June but this hasn't been announced nor posted for sale yet....STAY TUNED!!!
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

bb

There was a post above saying that there is more in store for SAN too. Guess we'll find out on Monday.

Wneast

Mon May 03, 2021 4:13 pm

SANFan wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

bb
upthread Wnflyguy said SAN peeps be excited so what Else would it be besides the other three islands I think they are adding ?

wnflyguy

Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm

SANFan wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

bb

SAN is adding additional destinations you will be happy. AlaskaAir and Hawaiian not so much!
Promise kept.

Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Mon May 03, 2021 6:43 pm

FA bid packets are showing -

LAX - HNL, OGG, KOA, and LIH
SAN - OGG, KOA, and LIH
LAS - HNL and OGG
PHX - HNL and OGG
OAK - LIH
SJC - LIH

Wneast

Mon May 03, 2021 6:47 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

SAN - OGG, KOA, and LIH
LAS - HNL and OGG
PHX - HNL and OGG
OAK - LIH
SJC - LIH

Is OAK and SJC to LIH because those routes are getting resumed or increased?

av8tiongeek

Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm

I wish I could provide an answer, but I cannot.

BA744PHX

Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Well everything I've seen tonight The Hawaii schedules are in for a big revision for June and beyond.
LAX,PHX,LAS are new and all the other cities Have flights retimed or at least fluctuate thru out that week.
SAN peeps will be happy!

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

I can never get enough on how you end your post "Enjoy or Don't" its perfect!! LOL

n562wn

Southwest Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Well everything I've seen tonight The Hawaii schedules are in for a big revision for June and beyond.
LAX,PHX,LAS are new and all the other cities Have flights retimed or at least fluctuate thru out that week.
SAN peeps will be happy!

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

I can never get enough on how you end your post "Enjoy or Don't" its perfect!! LOL

Can't help but agree here. While some things can be a little off, I'll admit his/her "rumors" more often than not usually have some substance.

Midwestindy

Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

SAN - OGG, KOA, and LIH
LAS - HNL and OGG
PHX - HNL and OGG
OAK - LIH
SJC - LIH

This bridges the gap between their currently updated June schedule which is currently 89% of 2019 ASMs, and the number they gave of 96% of 2019 ASMs for June.

Wneast

Mon May 03, 2021 11:10 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
This is from a creditable WN source.
GK will be hosting a special ALOHA virtual update on WN 2021 battle plan on Monday May 10, 2021 at 13:00 Herb/ CST. Fares and flights scheduled for the additional Hawaii flights will be released that day or shortly after the event/press release.
Some additional other NEW flights are also scheduled to be announced for July and August.

So in a nut shell NO Hawaii expansion announcement until Next week.

Enjoy or Don't.

Flyguy

Are you saying there will be other new routes in addition that don’t relate Hawaii scheduled for July and August ?

Cubsrule

Mon May 03, 2021 11:32 pm

eta unknown wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

1. Surprised LAS is as high as it is. I would have thought that was more of an O&D station. I would have thought PHX would be higher.

WN has LAS down to a science. They do lots of connections rather then flying empty planes. The demand is super day of the week up and down probably more then any city in america as weekends and events are such a focus. They do lots of connections on the off days. On a friday when everyone is heading into las those flights are oversold with almost all o&d into vegas. Those same planes out of las are all connections on a Wednesday when there isn't that much demand in or out. They get to fly pretty full planes using las as a connection city when there's less demand and o&d when the demand is high. Keep the planes full

It's interesting WN has changed focus. I remember LAS Airport was on record years ago saying they didn't want transit traffic and at the time WN offered few connections via LAS. Times change...

I can’t speak to focus, but LAS has traditionally had a 1900 bank that is quite useful to business travelers, both O&D and connecting, because it is one of the last non-redeye eastbound flights in a variety of markets.

I live in Nashville and much of the time LAS is the city in the Pacific Time Zone where I can work the fullest day if I day trip.

jplatts

Tue May 04, 2021 12:15 am

Wneast wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Are you saying there will be other new routes in addition that don’t relate Hawaii scheduled for July and August ?

I would probably expect WN to announce a few more new non-Hawaii nonstop routes out of LAS such as LAS-CVG/GRR/MEM with the O&D that would be there on these routes along with the connecting traffic that would be there to California and Hawaii on these routes.

WN adding extra nonstop flights to OAK from AUS, MCI, BNA, and STL is also a possibility as increased nonstop service to OAK from these cities would make it easier to connect to Hawaii from these cities on WN.

Jonboi252009

Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 am

AC4500 wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

Oh snap! Yes I did mean LAS-HNL...My apologies

Vctony

Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 am

eta unknown wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

That’s probably why WN focused so heavily on DEN.

FSDan

Tue May 04, 2021 3:53 am

Anecdotally, every time I've flown through LAS it's been a connecting itinerary. MKE-LAS-RNO and return on WN, TUS-LAS-RNO and return on WN, and a strange one-off MSP-LAS-SJC on DL after a misconnect in MSP.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 04, 2021 3:59 am

eta unknown wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Its how WN has to use vegas. Demand is super variable. On a friday planes into vegas are packed and flights out have little demand. Everyone wants to come into vegas but no one wants to leave. WN would be flying empty seats all over if they didn't use vegas that way. On a Tuesday there is just not that much demand either direction etc

ibthebigd

Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 am

Cubsrule wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

I can’t speak to focus, but LAS has traditionally had a 1900 bank that is quite useful to business travelers, both O&D and connecting, because it is one of the last non-redeye eastbound flights in a variety of markets.

I live in Nashville and much of the time LAS is the city in the Pacific Time Zone where I can work the fullest day if I day trip.
This is why Hawaii could work well from LAS because of the 7 PM bank to places like IND BNA SDF ect.

Now would passengers book that intenary to get in at 1 AM I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eta unknown

Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 am

Doubt it could work in summer- temperatures in LAS too hot to make it to HNL. I remember when HA inherited the DL 767's- they couldn't be used on LAS daylight flights- only after midnight when the temperature dipped.

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue May 04, 2021 10:06 am

Wneast wrote:
av8tiongeek wrote:

SAN - OGG, KOA, and LIH
LAS - HNL and OGG
PHX - HNL and OGG
OAK - LIH
SJC - LIH

Is OAK and SJC to LIH because those routes are getting resumed or increased?

They are just being resumed, as my brother and family have been booked onto a nonstop LIH for a few weeks.

Jshank83

Tue May 04, 2021 12:46 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Doubt it could work in summer- temperatures in LAS too hot to make it to HNL. I remember when HA inherited the DL 767's- they couldn't be used on LAS daylight flights- only after midnight when the temperature dipped.

Isn’t WN getting ready to announce LAS-HNL?

SWADawg

Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Isn’t WN getting ready to announce LAS-HNL?

Yes. The MAX can easily make it out of LAS in the summer with a full load performance wise. The -800? Not so much.

wnflyguy

Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

SAN - OGG, KOA, and LIH
LAS - HNL and OGG
PHX - HNL and OGG
OAK - LIH
SJC - LIH

Here's more information I've gathered from the screenshots.

HNL going from 25>34 flights
KOA going from 7>8/9 flights only on peak days.
LIH going from 6>7/8 flights only on peak days.
OGG going from 12>21
ITO no charge still 4 flights.
(These numbers could easily change its a estimate count trying to match inbound and outbound flight times. I'm questioning my self because HNL seems to go from 2 RON to 7 I don't think HNL has that much ramp space to accommodate WN?)

Sources saying MAX8 Etops certification should wrap up this week.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

wnflyguy

Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Hears another rumor going around.
One source is saying the First Hawaii proposed expansion had Daily Red Eyes scheduled.
But SWAPA put the Brakes on the proposal since the Red Eyes study they did with the company is over 10yrs Old and they need to do a revaluation over safety precautions.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Enjoy or Don't
Flyguy

wnflyguy

Tue May 04, 2021 4:47 pm

eta unknown wrote:

Of the Half dozen or so LAS/PHX-Hawaii flights I've seen are scheduled for Mid morning and mid Evening
Times avoiding peak temperatures.
Which seems industry standard reviewing HA and AA scheduled departure times to Hawaii.

Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy

Chemist

Tue May 04, 2021 5:39 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Of the Half dozen or so LAS/PHX-Hawaii flights I've seen are scheduled for Mid morning and mid Evening
Times avoiding peak temperatures.
Which seems industry standard reviewing HA and AA scheduled departure times to Hawaii.

Enjoy or Don't.
Flyguy

PHX is lower than LAS but even hotter, so I assume performance would potentially be a concern there as well. It's also over 100nm further from HNL.

SANFan

Tue May 04, 2021 5:43 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

SAN is adding additional destinations you will be happy. Alaska and Hawaiian not so much!
Promise kept.
Flyguy

I'll certainly tune in Monday but I do remain skeptical.

IF all you've implied in the last few days is true, it seems that WN is planning on just competing for the local SAN-Hawaii traffic since a lot of connecting traffic from throughout the system to Hawaii will soon be handled mainly through PHX and LAS. And that's fine. Of course offering connecting opportunities depends on the scheduling of the flights so again, I'll wait and see. (For example, I'd love to see a "Navy Shuttle": HNL-SAN-ORF roundtrip connection to complement the SAN-ORF nonstop that's now -- finally -- supposed to begin in June...)

bb

WN732

Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 pm

SANFan wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

SAN is adding additional destinations you will be happy. Alaska and Hawaiian not so much!
Promise kept.
Flyguy

I'll certainly tune in Monday but I do remain skeptical.

IF all you've implied in the last few days is true, it seems that WN is planning on just competing for the local SAN-Hawaii traffic since a lot of connecting traffic from throughout the system to Hawaii will soon be handled mainly through PHX and LAS. And that's fine. Of course offering connecting opportunities depends on the scheduling of the flights so again, I'll wait and see. (For example, I'd love to see a "Navy Shuttle": HNL-SAN-ORF roundtrip connection to complement the SAN-ORF nonstop that's now -- finally -- supposed to begin in June...)

bb

That would certainly be nice to see. I sure would love to see SAN back in the glory days of over 100 turns per day. Maybe we will get back to that someday.

PBADC3

Tue May 04, 2021 7:21 pm

For those questioning BWI for WN, they are in many ways running a very similar footprint to PI/US back in the day. Let’s cherry pick for a second and look at a mid-May Thursday and the first bank of departures and what’s feeding it vs. not.

Inbound: ALB BOS MHT ISP ROC BUF CLE PVD BDL DTW ORF CMH PIT IND PWM CVG SDF MDW BNA TPA
Connects outbound to: STL PVD MSY PBI RDU BOS CHS SAT PNS JAX SRQ AUA ECP MCI SDF MBJ MHT SAN CUN PUJ MKE AUS SJU CLT MIA LAX SAV MCO DEN MDW MSY ORD

Very clearly a N->S directional bank with a couple of obviously local trips mixed in. We can see the same dynamics at play at virtually any of the large WN “airports of concentration” like MDW, DAL, STL, BNA, PHX, LAS and so forth. This pattern existed as well prior to the Pandemic, but was a bit obscured by a larger local market schedule and one stops. This isn’t new, it’s just become much more obvious and black and white in comparison to the traditionally networked airlines.

SANFan

Tue May 04, 2021 8:21 pm

WN732 wrote:
That would certainly be nice to see. I sure would love to see SAN back in the glory days of over 100 turns per day. Maybe we will get back to that someday.

Maybe once the T1 replacement is open for business, WN will again "take off" in SAN returning us to or near one of their Top 10 stations!

bb

av8tiongeek

Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Has anyone heard anything about additional aircraft being grounded today? WNFLYGUY?? I have some folks asking who were told by agents in STL moments ago. Is this true?

wnflyguy

Tue May 04, 2021 8:54 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about additional aircraft being grounded today? WNFLYGUY?? I have some folks asking who were told by agents in STL moments ago. Is this true?

Haven't heard anything.
Flyguy

av8tiongeek

Tue May 04, 2021 8:55 pm

Thanks

asteriskceo

Tue May 04, 2021 9:43 pm

av8tiongeek wrote:

All 737-800 grounded due to electronic weight and balance issue. Should be resolved in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtwramp

Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 pm

Delete

KDAL

Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 pm

Issue is already fixed, no aircraft are grounded.

Also, keep an eye on N8714Q and N8729H ;)

orlandocfi

Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pm

KDAL wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on those! Will be watching on FR24.

av8tiongeek

Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 pm

I've never seen an airline have more issues with weight and balance than WN.

wnflyguy

Tue May 04, 2021 11:05 pm

KDAL wrote:

Duel DAL-HNL ??

Flyguy

Dtwramp

Tue May 04, 2021 11:12 pm

8714 is dal to oak delayed.
8729 phx to oak delayed.

Dtwramp

Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 pm

Watch for flight 8725 Wednesday.

KDAL

Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 pm

Dtwramp wrote:
Watch for flight 8725 Wednesday.

^This

Flflyer83

Wed May 05, 2021 3:02 am

SANFan wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

bb

Next month...
2x SAN-HNL
1x SAN-OGG

I’m guessing this is pending max8 etops approval.

Wneast

Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 am

Flflyer83 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Jonboi252009 wrote:
LAX-HNL
LAX-LIH
LAX-KOA
LAX-OGG
PHX-HNL
OAK-HNL

bb

Next month...
2x SAN-HNL
1x SAN-OGG

I’m guessing this is pending max8 etops approval.

There also adding KOA and LIH to SAN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos