Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
seat24charlie
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:34 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Any POTUS-related activity at Logan today? Heard someone passing describe a "white plane with a blue belly" at North Cargo but couldn't verify if it was in support of today's NH visit. I know he flew into MHT so not sure what would have been at Boston.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:59 pm

acavpics wrote:
Looks like TK is increasing service to BOS in S22 (Along with other US routes).
According to the aeronetwork, frequency will increase from 7x to 10x weekly.

I wonder what aircraft this additional service will be on. I really hope we get to see their A350, 787, or 777.


google flights says 787

new flights

TK101 IST07:40 - 12.40BOS 2,4,6
TK102 BOS12:50 - 05:20+1 IST, 2,4,6
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 am

Should read the following the arrival time in BOS was wrong . 90 minute turnaround on a 787 is going to keep things busy.

TK101 IST07:40 - 11.20BOS 2,4,6
TK102 BOS12:50 - 05:20+1 IST, 2,4,6
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:21 am

acavpics wrote:
Looks like TK is increasing service to BOS in S22 (Along with other US routes).
According to the aeronetwork, frequency will increase from 7x to 10x weekly.

I wonder what aircraft this additional service will be on. I really hope we get to see their A350, 787, or 777.


Very nice! TK has been so consistent at BOS through the pandemic. I wonder if they are doing this because they believe EK will stick with the 777 and not move up to the A380?
 
ScottB
Posts: 7614
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 am

chrisnh wrote:
Very nice! TK has been so consistent at BOS through the pandemic. I wonder if they are doing this because they believe EK will stick with the 777 and not move up to the A380?


I think TK is in a vastly better strategic position than EK. Their 787s and A350s offer comparable unit costs to the A380 while avoiding yield dilution inherent in the larger aircraft. They can offer choices of departure/arrival times which improves yield. The new IST airport has enough capacity to become one of the largest hubs in the world, and it serves a dynamic metropolitan region of 15 million people.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1868
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 am

VS4ever wrote:
Should read the following the arrival time in BOS was wrong . 90 minute turnaround on a 787 is going to keep things busy.

TK101 IST07:40 - 11.20BOS 2,4,6
TK102 BOS12:50 - 05:20+1 IST, 2,4,6


Good luck to them…I’ve turned a lot of 787s, and it’s a tough 90 minute job. Pretty much everything has to fall exactly in place, exactly on time. Give me 100 minutes and it’s a World of difference.

Good to see though. Now I’d just like KLM to bring a 787 and BOS will really be well into the next generation of airliners
 
tjerome
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:32 am

seat24charlie wrote:
Any POTUS-related activity at Logan today? Heard someone passing describe a "white plane with a blue belly" at North Cargo but couldn't verify if it was in support of today's NH visit. I know he flew into MHT so not sure what would have been at Boston.


"white plane with a blue belly" could be any B6 or DL aircraft, and Air Force 1 is more blue than it is white.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:09 pm

chrisnh wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Looks like TK is increasing service to BOS in S22 (Along with other US routes).
According to the aeronetwork, frequency will increase from 7x to 10x weekly.

I wonder what aircraft this additional service will be on. I really hope we get to see their A350, 787, or 777.


Very nice! TK has been so consistent at BOS through the pandemic. I wonder if they are doing this because they believe EK will stick with the 777 and not move up to the A380?


They have expanded service to many US Destinations examples - ORD/MIA have become 2 daily and DFW expanded to daily.

There is now also a two-way codeshare with B6 which puts the B6 code on points beyond Turkey not just IST. https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... hare-ties/

This is also Summer only Mid-May to end of September and then it goes back to just daily.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:25 pm

It may only be a summer uplift, like LX do for example, but given this (if memory serves) is the first time TK have gone beyond daily definitely suggests they are bullish about summer 22. With EK so far sticking at 1 daily and no signs of the whale coming back yet. This is a smart move by TK, try an capture the extra market. When EK were 2x a few years ago, the 2nd flight didn’t set the world alight with loads, but they also started that in October rather than the summer… curious as to how this one will play out. It’s only 3 weekly so relatively less risky…
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:57 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/d ... entnewsntp

DL to restart the hourly shuttle flight from BOS. The only airline has a First Class seat for a 45 min airtime :)
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021f

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 pm

VS4ever wrote:
It may only be a summer uplift, like LX do for example, but given this (if memory serves) is the first time TK have gone beyond daily definitely suggests they are bullish about summer 22. With EK so far sticking at 1 daily and no signs of the whale coming back yet. This is a smart move by TK, try an capture the extra market. When EK were 2x a few years ago, the 2nd flight didn’t set the world alight with loads, but they also started that in October rather than the summer… curious as to how this one will play out. It’s only 3 weekly so relatively less risky…


Exactly. TK appears more bullish than EK, and I’d guess the possibility exists for Istanbul to surpass Dubai as a connecting airport. I’m sure EK wants their ‘smaller’ planes ASAP. TK is a fair bit more nimble in terms of proximity, fleet, etc.
 
Cboyle
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:20 am

Does anyone know if a BOS-SNA flight will start anytime soon? Which airline is most likely to fly the route? I would assume AA/B6 is most likely to fly the route
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Cboyle wrote:
Does anyone know if a BOS-SNA flight will start anytime soon? Which airline is most likely to fly the route? I would assume AA/B6 is most likely to fly the route


I am not aware of any. The runway at SNA would almost certainly require the plane to be a 757 or something with similar range/performance specs. Big plane to fill on that route.
 
EADSYABSOB73857
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:22 pm

tlecam wrote:
Cboyle wrote:
Does anyone know if a BOS-SNA flight will start anytime soon? Which airline is most likely to fly the route? I would assume AA/B6 is most likely to fly the route


I am not aware of any. The runway at SNA would almost certainly require the plane to be a 757 or something with similar range/performance specs. Big plane to fill on that route.


I think it was hinted at a while ago in the B6 thread that the route would be started by them with the A220. I feel like the only planes that could make it work (due to the runway constraints at SNA) would be the A319 or A220- DL has both of those and B6 has the A220 those, so either of those would probably make the most sense.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:26 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

I think it was hinted at a while ago in the B6 thread that the route would be started by them with the A220. I feel like the only planes that could make it work (due to the runway constraints at SNA) would be the A319 or A220- DL has both of those and B6 has the A220 those, so either of those would probably make the most sense.

I am not certain B6 has endeared themselves with the Orange County authorities due to multiple violations/penalties levied even at LGB. If LGB was supposed to be tight, my understanding is SNA is even worse! B6 flights are scheduled too tight and BOS/JFK are tough airports with weather related constraints. AA IMO would be an option with code sharing with B6 if that was even a possibility.

There are several places left for B6 to go and make good money than SNA IMO :)
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5756
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:36 pm

VS4ever wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Currently you are correct that all the TATL departures are from A, but there has been much discussion about flipping them to E to give DL more room for domestic at A and increase their departures overall. Tying up A13,A14,A16,A17 and A19 for much of the evening stunts that growth potential as you could turn 4-5 smaller jets at least per gate. Plus it would also free up A15 that gets blocked as a result too. So there’s 24 departures a day right there on top of the existing list if TATL gets moved. But it comes with complications. Twin terminal management with tough linkages right now and the aforementioned lounge issues amongst other things.


That's a disaster for connections for a "gateway hub" unless there's a sterile connection (physical or bus). They might be better off with a bus boarding operation for regional flights They can shift the hub gauge down to PVD during those peak times as a release valve for the market... LGA 3x daily starts in January and MSP is daily come June, It could be a 100% increase in seats July 22 vs 21


I'm not saying it's happening, but it's being discussed for sure and the connection points are well noted as a particular issue too. But if DL wants to get back to a pre-covid goal of 200 departures a day, something gotta give... unless they are going to go for WN level turns per gate on the other gates.

FGITD wrote:
I can say with a certain degree of certainty that it is happening. Some Delta flights will be leaving from E. Seemingly no one likes it, but it is what it is.

VS lounge is also still closed. Alleged to not be reopening, at the very least any time soon. Lounges are super expensive to operate and are independent of alliances, JVs, etc. They usually charge a fixed rate per passenger. The reason you see so many in the AF lounge is most likely because they offer the best price. Usually lounge entry comes out of the stations open budget, so it’s in their best interest to go cheap.

Which brings us back to this suggestion:
airbazar wrote:
tlecam wrote:
I've sometimes wondered whether something like this would make sense for A to E post-security connections. They could likely build on top of existing walkways / parking garage structures. Would be an interesting definition of airside..haha


A while ago I have actually suggested that here in the forum. The added benefit of such a thing is that they could leverage a section of the parking garage to create revenue space like concessions, restaurants, or lounges. I know it's a little far from the gates for a lounge but think of what they could do with that much space... and the view :bigthumbsup:

I wonder how feasible such a think would be from an engineering standpoint. Could the existing structure handle another level bolted on top? Measuring the distance, you'd have the best part of 600m (or a bit over 1900ft) to cover. It would come out nice and centrally in the current E (but obviously a bit offset to the extension being built), but is right the western end of A. Eyeballing aerial views, you could always do a separate structure between the two parking garages, which would put it more central in A, but would then come out right at the eastern end of E, where the E/C connection is, which may make it less useful with E expanding westward. I guess the other question is at that distance, does a moving walkway cut it, or would a people-move more fit the bill?

I say all this as someone quite unfamiliar with the airport, but who holds a soft spot for it courtesy of it being the first place I ever entered the United States through.

V/F
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
tlecam wrote:
Cboyle wrote:
Does anyone know if a BOS-SNA flight will start anytime soon? Which airline is most likely to fly the route? I would assume AA/B6 is most likely to fly the route


I am not aware of any. The runway at SNA would almost certainly require the plane to be a 757 or something with similar range/performance specs. Big plane to fill on that route.


I think it was hinted at a while ago in the B6 thread that the route would be started by them with the A220. I feel like the only planes that could make it work (due to the runway constraints at SNA) would be the A319 or A220- DL has both of those and B6 has the A220 those, so either of those would probably make the most sense.


Oh, interesting! Either of those planes would work and a much more appropriate capacity I think.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1868
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:44 am

VirginFlyer wrote:

I wonder how feasible such a think would be from an engineering standpoint. Could the existing structure handle another level bolted on top? Measuring the distance, you'd have the best part of 600m (or a bit over 1900ft) to cover. It would come out nice and centrally in the current E (but obviously a bit offset to the extension being built), but is right the western end of A. Eyeballing aerial views, you could always do a separate structure between the two parking garages, which would put it more central in A, but would then come out right at the eastern end of E, where the E/C connection is, which may make it less useful with E expanding westward. I guess the other question is at that distance, does a moving walkway cut it, or would a people-move more fit the bill?

I say all this as someone quite unfamiliar with the airport, but who holds a soft spot for it courtesy of it being the first place I ever entered the United States through.

V/F


I believe the bigger issue would be the terminals themselves rather than the structure connecting them. You can always build a secure, isolated and sterile walkway from A to E, but the issue is that in the terminals this walkway would have to cut through the “guts” of the structures in order to reach the secure zone. The current walkway barely gets you inside the building, whereas this new one would have to cross over or under the roadway, the public side, check in counters, TSA checkpoint, and then finally come down or up. Definitely feasible, but it would be a hell of a trek
 
KBOStonAviation
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:39 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:11 am

Looks like DL has sent a 753 on the SLC-BOS leg tonight, and it'll be returning as DL1014 tomorrow morning. Certainly wasn't expecting that; when was the last time we saw a DL 753 (in Delta colors) at Boston?! Seems to be a hot week for equipment swaps, UA sent a 763 on one SFO-BOS frequency on Wednesday, although I'm assuming that was to cover some of the pax leftover from the 752 APU fire the day before.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10611
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Pretty amusing incident but this liquids and gels rule has long outlived its usefulness. It is bordering on ridiculous when a security person can't tell the difference between cannoli filling and an explosive.
https://www.boston.com/news/travel/2021 ... featurebox
 
ConnectAir
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Does anyone know if the jetbridges in Concourse A are due for refurbishment/replacement? I was flying into BOS yesterday for the holidays and their seemed to be some sort of mechanical issue that prevented the jetbridge from leveling with the plane.
 
jarvismj
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:36 am

airbazar wrote:
Pretty amusing incident but this liquids and gels rule has long outlived its usefulness. It is bordering on ridiculous when a security person can't tell the difference between cannoli filling and an explosive.
https://www.boston.com/news/travel/2021 ... featurebox


I've long wondered about why they do this...
In AMS, my wife had a bottle of milk for my two-year-old at the time. They made her dump it. In the same lane, I have a refillable Starbucks cup with fresh coffee, and I'm even drinking from it in line. I just put it in the cupholder of my backpack, and go right through. No issues, and still had a hot coffee while I waited for my plane.

In MUC, you can buy a friggin Wüstof chef's knife after security...

Seems that DHS is completely unable to get their shit together almost 20 years after they were formed.
 
S0Y
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:38 am

jarvismj wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Pretty amusing incident but this liquids and gels rule has long outlived its usefulness. It is bordering on ridiculous when a security person can't tell the difference between cannoli filling and an explosive.
https://www.boston.com/news/travel/2021 ... featurebox


I've long wondered about why they do this...
In AMS, my wife had a bottle of milk for my two-year-old at the time. They made her dump it. In the same lane, I have a refillable Starbucks cup with fresh coffee, and I'm even drinking from it in line. I just put it in the cupholder of my backpack, and go right through. No issues, and still had a hot coffee while I waited for my plane.

In MUC, you can buy a friggin Wüstof chef's knife after security...

Seems that DHS is completely unable to get their shit together almost 20 years after they were formed.


It has nothing to do with security. Its all about $$$. Too much to lose for airside vendors (and their landlords) for it to be removed at this stage, so we are stuck with it.
The unfortunate thing was the US was able to force the rest of the world to adopt the same nonsense policies, all so the politicians could be seen to be doing 'something'
 
boston5555
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Looks like DL JNB-ATL flight diverted to BOS. Seems like an odd diversion choice.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:06 pm

boston5555 wrote:
Looks like DL JNB-ATL flight diverted to BOS. Seems like an odd diversion choice.


I’m crediting tinpusher007 who posted this in a different thread

“As I understand it, diverting to BOS was planned because it is shorter than ATL and allowed for a full load out of JNB ahead of the new travel restrictions in South Africa. Some of my coworkers indicated that it was a madhouse at the airport as many people are trying to leave the country”.
 
boston5555
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

VS4ever wrote:
boston5555 wrote:
Looks like DL JNB-ATL flight diverted to BOS. Seems like an odd diversion choice.


I’m crediting tinpusher007 who posted this in a different thread

“As I understand it, diverting to BOS was planned because it is shorter than ATL and allowed for a full load out of JNB ahead of the new travel restrictions in South Africa. Some of my coworkers indicated that it was a madhouse at the airport as many people are trying to leave the country”.


Thank you! Missed the other post.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:37 pm

VS4ever wrote:
boston5555 wrote:
Looks like DL JNB-ATL flight diverted to BOS. Seems like an odd diversion choice.


I’m crediting tinpusher007 who posted this in a different thread

“As I understand it, diverting to BOS was planned because it is shorter than ATL and allowed for a full load out of JNB ahead of the new travel restrictions in South Africa. Some of my coworkers indicated that it was a madhouse at the airport as many people are trying to leave the country”.



Interesting…Looks like BOS is shorter by about 600 statute miles according to great circle mapper. Visually, on the map (no idea how accurate the map is), BOS’ eastern location is more helpful than ATL’s southern location.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:03 pm

A little more info backing up the previous comment i quoted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/delta ... ar-AARe4i7
 
tomaheath
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 pm

jarvismj wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Pretty amusing incident but this liquids and gels rule has long outlived its usefulness. It is bordering on ridiculous when a security person can't tell the difference between cannoli filling and an explosive.
https://www.boston.com/news/travel/2021 ... featurebox


I've long wondered about why they do this...
In AMS, my wife had a bottle of milk for my two-year-old at the time. They made her dump it. In the same lane, I have a refillable Starbucks cup with fresh coffee, and I'm even drinking from it in line. I just put it in the cupholder of my backpack, and go right through. No issues, and still had a hot coffee while I waited for my plane.

In MUC, you can buy a friggin Wüstof chef's knife after security...

Seems that DHS is completely unable to get their shit together almost 20 years after they were formed.

I was on the first Spirit flight out of Manchester in October and the guy in front of me was drinking from a flask same fellow drop his wallet on my foot about half way to Orlando.
 
EADSYABSOB73857
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm

Interesting article on DL in BOS:

https://simpleflying.com/delta-air-line ... -snapshot/

Also, it looks like DL pushed back the start of the BOS-YYZ flights from March to October 2022 (based on google flights).
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:11 pm

BOS Oct-2021 numbers are out.
Total airport passengers Oct-2021 - 2,579,783
Total airport passengers Oct-2020 - 781,755
MTM AGR: 230.0%

With Omicron, and borders beginning to start having effects - will see how they work.

Oct-21 Oct-20 % change
Domestic Charter 1,791 916 95.5%
Domestic Commuter 309,842 33,468 825.8%
Domestic Jet 2,012,338 673,474 198.8%
Total Domestic 2,323,971 707,858 228.3%
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 73,301 40,133 82.6%
Canada 29,426 2,572 1044.1%
Central America 12,853 1,048 1126.4%
Europe 101,230 16,286 521.6%
Middle East 24,188 8,085 199.2%
South America - - #DIV/0!
Trans-Pacific 3,006 1,233 143.8%
Australia - -
North Africa - - #DIV/0!
Other International - -
Total International 244,004 69,357 251.8%
General Aviation 11,808 4,540 160.1%
Total airport passengers 2,579,783 781,755 230.0%

Month Year Total Pax International pax Year Total Pax International pax Year Total Pax International pax Year Total Pax International pax Year Total Pax International pax
Jan 2017 2,603,998 494,741 2018 2,576,261 468,439 2019 2,710,036 521,356 2020 2,940,985 579,541 2021 740,247 106,827
Feb 2017 2,369,960 411,816 2018 2,605,207 422,707 2019 2,716,724 460,049 2020 2,890,513 487,442 2021 731,029 76,748
Mar 2017 3,076,023 540,036 2018 3,197,326 578,154 2019 3,457,362 631,858 2020 1,634,101 274,615 2021 1,070,171 115,832
Apr 2017 3,271,833 620,923 2018 3,508,607 613,000 2019 3,647,276 707,159 2020 95,352 5,843 2021 1,427,287 142,054
May 2017 3,466,805 659,326 2018 3,705,129 672,304 2019 3,879,343 775,024 2020 203,328 6,216 2021 1,744,185 144,375
Jun 2017 3,552,952 710,313 2018 3,843,131 742,437 2019 3,946,406 847,877 2020 438,266 18,647 2021 2,121,185 206,547
Jul 2017 3,683,573 764,325 2018 3,999,933 798,900 2019 4,072,082 891,642 2020 738,135 72,351 2021 2,570,680 304,010
Aug 2017 3,757,903 772,812 2018 4,044,126 821,417 2019 4,120,937 898,759 2020 701,627 73,699 2021 2,587,063 350,377
Sep 2017 3,178,011 640,539 2018 3,393,644 697,082 2019 3,547,546 724,791 2020 633,357 65,793 2021 2,226,035 260,481
Oct 2017 3,431,263 581,481 2018 3,677,923 651,839 2019 3,771,212 686,063 2020 781,755 69,357 2021 2,579,783 244,004
Nov 2017 3,089,200 483,354 2018 3,296,694 539,610 2019 3,264,105 552,066 2020 755,877 72,352 2021
Dec 2017 2,930,898 483,354 2018 3,093,944 577,998 2019 3,389,382 621,349 2020 801,430 112,436 2021
38,412,419 7,163,020 40,941,925 7,583,887 42,522,411 8,317,993 12,618,128 1,838,292 17,797,676 1,951,255
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:59 pm

How likely is it that CX ceases to exist and Air China shows up on our doorstep?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 am

Well finally had a chance to catch up on 2 years worth of Massport data and update my file
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true

Obviously a lot of it, is not great over the last almost 2 years, however there are some bright spots.

1. Oct 21 was the all time highest number for Domestic Commuter, first time over 300,000
2. Oct 21 was the best Domestic total since Jan 2020
3. Oct 21 had mail still above pre-covid levels albeit down from 2020
4. Oct 21 had Express Freight holding it's own against pre-covid. Full Freight down around 5%

Flight operations (excluding GA), is up 18% YTD over 2020, however is still down 41% over 2019.. So the folks still complaining about the noise, are always going to complain, because we are down nearly 150,000 movements 2021 vs 2019.

Anyway, enjoy and let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Andy (VS4ever)
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Took the BOS-DOH-BOM flight. Surprisingly since it was Wed, the AF lounge seemed quiet and nice. Probably Omicron, OR I was late as my flight departs only at 10:00 pm. But not bad and not a zoo. QR A350 was superb and one of the best I believe I may have taken. Frankly and again my personal experience - QR seemed far better to travel to India vs. BA or LH if I had the choice. QR lounge was superb too. BOM customs and immigrations was a nightmare thanks to COVID protocols and new rules governing passengers coming in some of the African countries and Europe. Overall a good experience and would certainly recommend QR.
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:39 pm

New route from G4, BOS-FNT. Honestly don't see how this is gonna work but nice to see a new city
https://www.allegiantair.com/search/rou ... nts-120721
 
airbazar
Posts: 10611
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:56 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
New route from G4, BOS-FNT. Honestly don't see how this is gonna work but nice to see a new city
https://www.allegiantair.com/search/rou ... nts-120721


Never thought of Boston as a premier Spring Break destination. Or Flint :rotfl:
 
ScottB
Posts: 7614
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
New route from G4, BOS-FNT. Honestly don't see how this is gonna work but nice to see a new city
https://www.allegiantair.com/search/rou ... nts-120721


It's an alternate for Detroit so I could see it working for passengers who want to save some bucks over DL or B6 to DTW. Not all that different from when FL flew BOS-CAK.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:48 am

ScottB wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
New route from G4, BOS-FNT. Honestly don't see how this is gonna work but nice to see a new city
https://www.allegiantair.com/search/rou ... nts-120721


It's an alternate for Detroit so I could see it working for passengers who want to save some bucks over DL or B6 to DTW. Not all that different from when FL flew BOS-CAK.


Northern suburbs of Detroit could easily use FNT. This is geared towards tourism to New England using BOS as the gateway. It will also be only biweekly.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10611
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:11 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Northern suburbs of Detroit could easily use FNT. This is geared towards tourism to New England using BOS as the gateway. It will also be only biweekly.

It could very well be both. The great lakes region is seeing very high leisure demand. Flint is just another entry point to tour that region.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:19 am

BA brings the A380 back in May, while reducing daily flights from four to three.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1868
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:55 pm

chrisnh wrote:
BA brings the A380 back in May, while reducing daily flights from four to three.


Wow, great for BA. Gotta admit that I was totally wrong about that but I’m more than happy to be wrong about anything that pushes Boston service forward. ( But admittedly, my finger isn’t quite as on the pulse of BOS activity as it used to be)
 
ram789
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Lufthansa bringing back the A340-600 next year, March 27th, from Munich
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:03 pm

ram789 wrote:
Lufthansa bringing back the A340-600 next year, March 27th, from Munich


Interesting. They obviously are slow to adjust the web site, which shows the A350 into the future.

In any event, seeing that the BOS-MUC route was slated to get the A380 in 2020, I am surprised that LH isn't doing double-daily with A350s. LH in its press release today on STL did say four more A350s would be based at MUC.
 
C777ER
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:35 pm

Fantastic to see the LH A346!!!
 
tomaheath
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:31 am

C777ER wrote:
Fantastic to see the LH A346!!!

I’m
Definitely more excited about the A340 than the A380.
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:40 am

Interesting to see them bring the A346 back, thought those had been retired. Not an increase in seats over the A350 but it does mean the route will have F seats again.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:04 am

Chatter in B6 thread is expecting an expansion announcement this week most likely Thursday.

Do we expect BOS-LHR or LGW, BOS-YVR, and BOS-AVL to be loaded? Any new cities?


aaflyer777 wrote:
Interesting to see them bring the A346 back, thought those had been retired. Not an increase in seats over the A350 but it does mean the route will have F seats again.


Flew it in J on award ticket in Summer 2016: F was empty J was full.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10611
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:09 pm

chrisnh wrote:
ram789 wrote:
Lufthansa bringing back the A340-600 next year, March 27th, from Munich


Interesting. They obviously are slow to adjust the web site, which shows the A350 into the future.

In any event, seeing that the BOS-MUC route was slated to get the A380 in 2020, I am surprised that LH isn't doing double-daily with A350s. LH in its press release today on STL did say four more A350s would be based at MUC.

LH has just announced new routes from MUC: GIG and SAN. They most likely need the A350's for those routes. It makes sense to keep the "more expensive to operate" type on the shortest route. Also worth noting that pre pandemic LH interchanged the A346 and A359 on the BOS route. My last trip to MUC in 2019 I flew the A346 outbound and A359 inbound. IMO the A346 is a better ride than the A359.
As for BA bringing the A380 back that was always a given, IMO unless things take a serious turn for the worse. The A380 is hugely popular and it's a clear way for the airline to stand out amongst increasing competition on the route. Not to mention the huge volume of traffic between Boston and London. I was kinda hoping they would sub it in for xmas but omicron killed that dream :)
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4213
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:17 pm

The A380 is coming at the expense of BA’s fourth daily, so I don’t know whether they have now ‘lost’ that slot going forward and it will ‘only’ be three per day. If so, I wonder if the 380 will stay beyond the normal summer season.
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:42 pm

chrisnh wrote:
The A380 is coming at the expense of BA’s fourth daily, so I don’t know whether they have now ‘lost’ that slot going forward and it will ‘only’ be three per day. If so, I wonder if the 380 will stay beyond the normal summer season.


I'm gonna guess they didn't see the need to run the 4th flight since AA is running BOS-LHR on their own metal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos