Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:13 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
onwFan wrote:
This has nothing to do with B6’s plans to fly to LHR. If there was any demand on this route in the current climate, BA would not be flying just 1x daily (they used to fly this upto 5x daily). If you need any clue as to the current demand, the only other carrier is VS at 1x weekly.

Not only 1x, but with the smallest Long-haul they’ve got (788).

BA was using the A35k on this route up until Sunday. This coming Sunday (April 4th) they're using a 789 with F. They are also scheduled to go double daily BOS-LHR 772 as of June 1st.

If there was no demand you wouldn't see B6 or UA announcing NEW service on BOS-LHR. IF the B6 partnership wasn't at play in JFK or BOS why is AA launching so many new JFK int'l routes in conjunction with the B6 partnership announcement?

Demand has absolutely collapsed in U.S.-Europe from everywhere. JetBlue is taking advantage of a slack in Heathrow slots, and United is only launching it because, again, taking advantage of a remedy slot that became available to it.

Meanwhile still no actual announcement from jetBlue and United hasn't bothered giving a date, even though there's no reason not to. jetBlue will launch, United probably never will.

AA is simply moving some token capacity from PHL to JFK. None of the JFK ads represent new capacity, and one of the flights is to Tel Aviv, which is probably the biggest trans-Atlantic local market from the U.S. right now.

onwFan

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:29 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
onwFan wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

I also wonder how much this has to do with the fact B6 just secured slots for BOS-LHR this summer. I don't remember the exact details - Perhaps that flight and their partnership with B6 will be sufficient to hold them over until next summer. Isn't this new AA/B6 partnership also why AA just announced multiple new international routes from JFK - SCL, ATH, TLV & GIG?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... key-facts/

This has nothing to do with B6’s plans to fly to LHR. If there was any demand on this route in the current climate, BA would not be flying just 1x daily (they used to fly this upto 5x daily). If you need any clue as to the current demand, the only other carrier is VS at 1x weekly.

BA was NEVER 5x daily on BOS-LHR. The most BA has ever flown BOS-LHR is 4x daily and AA was not on BOS-LHR during that.

Picking on whether it was ever 5x daily or 4x daily doesn’t change the point, especially when one of BA’s frequencies was on the A380 and AA’s BOS-LHR was supposed to supplement BA’s services. The point is that at that time there was demand to sustain that capacity, along with 3x daily on VS/DL and also Norwegian if you want to bring them in. Nobody is stopping carriers from launching the flights; but they are not going to, unless they at least see a chance to make money..

ChrisNH38

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:19 am

I wonder whether AA will still use the 777 from MIA even though the LHR flight gets kicked like a can down the road.

jplatts

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:01 pm

WN re-adding BOS-DAL nonstop service and DL re-adding BOS-DFW nonstop service are possibilities once demand returns with the significant cuts that both AA and B6 have made on BOS-DFW nonstop service during the COVID-19 pandemic, with AA down to 4x daily on BOS-DFW and B6 operating 3x weekly on BOS-DFW.

WN and DL can probably make the return of BOS-DFW/DAL nonstop service work post-pandemic with the significant cuts that have been made by both AA and B6 on the BOS-DFW route. There was also strong demand for WN BOS-DAL nonstop flights prior to WN dropping DFW-BOS nonstop service in January 2020. WN also has a loyal customer base in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California to support the return of BOS-DAL nonstop service on WN.

Who is more likely to re-add nonstop service to Dallas from BOS, WN or DL?

adamh8297

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:42 pm

jplatts wrote:

WN in my opinion.

MAH4546

Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:48 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
I wonder whether AA will still use the 777 from MIA even though the LHR flight gets kicked like a can down the road.

AA is already using 777s on Miami-Boston and tons of other short haul flying from Miami, unrelated to positioning.

C777ER

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 pm

Iceland Air bringing the 737-MAX8 tonight, Shamrock has the A333 in today, keep the 777s coming

jplatts

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:11 am

adamh8297 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

WN in my opinion.

I agree with your point, especially with DL being more reliant on O&D to make the return of BOS-DFW nonstop service work with demand for transatlantic travel being down whereas WN would have domestic connecting traffic from other destinations in TX, NM, AZ, NV, and CA in addition to O&D to support the return of BOS-DAL nonstop service.

B752OS

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:42 am

In an unrelated note to air service, I happened to drive by Logan the other day and work is progressing on the terminal E expansion, it's huge compared to the other terminals. Was not able to snap any photos.

adamh8297

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:37 am

Per crankyflier blog and I verified on ITA: AA BOS-ILM to 5x weekly x23. Great for those looking for a 3-4 day Wrightsville Beach stay.

jplatts wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

WN in my opinion.

I agree with your point, especially with DL being more reliant on O&D to make the return of BOS-DFW nonstop service work with demand for transatlantic travel being down whereas WN would have domestic connecting traffic from other destinations in TX, NM, AZ, NV, and CA in addition to O&D to support the return of BOS-DAL nonstop service.

The O+D is key. Boston-Dallas is always in the top 15 of domestic O+D's and it is one with the least of tourism from the BOS passenger side. VFR definitely exists especially considering the 1 million + increases every decade in the DFW metroplex. That population comes from all corners of the US (and the globe!)

WN probably has some super loyal customers that are doing DAL-MDW/BWI/STL-BOS right now. I think its fairly easy for them to fill a daily 737 with some profit. Especially travelling for business, I would always consider WN from a personal standpoint. I don't mind lining up at the pillars since they have always treated me well.

FGITD

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:44 pm

B752OS wrote:
In an unrelated note to air service, I happened to drive by Logan the other day and work is progressing on the terminal E expansion, it's huge compared to the other terminals. Was not able to snap any photos.

I keep meaning to post some from the ramp side. It’s a massive, very imposing structure. It quite literally towers over that entire area.

B6BOSfan

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm

What's the time frame for the B-C connector road and JetBlue (Terminal C) drop-off/arrivals construction? As traffic begins to increase at the airport, that area is really a mess, and doesn't look close to being finished.

B752OS

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:16 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
What's the time frame for the B-C connector road and JetBlue (Terminal C) drop-off/arrivals construction? As traffic begins to increase at the airport, that area is really a mess, and doesn't look close to being finished.

The terminal C canopy, elevator upgrades and departures roadway project is expected to reach substantial completion Fall 2021. The B to C connector won't hit substantial completion until Spring 2022.

Massport has updated their projections for passenger numbers and are looking at 2023 to be the year with numbers get back within 2019 numbers, so it will be slow going for 2021 and into 2022.

airbazar

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:46 pm

B752OS wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:

The terminal C canopy, elevator upgrades and departures roadway project is expected to reach substantial completion Fall 2021. The B to C connector won't hit substantial completion until Spring 2022.

Massport has updated their projections for passenger numbers and are looking at 2023 to be the year with numbers get back within 2019 numbers, so it will be slow going for 2021 and into 2022.

Well, 2019 was a record breaking year. Not being back to 2019 numbers doesn't imply slow going considering the airport was already bursting at the seams back in 2015 :)

clrd4t8koff

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 pm

Looking at flights to LA in June I see DL is going 4x daily. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them offer that much service. Wish it wasn’t all 73H’s. Seems DL & UA have handed the premium market to the west coast from BOS all to B6 Mint.

adamh8297

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:50 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Looking at flights to LA in June I see DL is going 4x daily. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them offer that much service. Wish it wasn’t all 73H’s. Seems DL & UA have handed the premium market to the west coast from BOS all to B6 Mint.

DL is making up for AS not being in the market currently.

Couple of other points:

-B6+AA combined has more frequencies available than July 2019. That could obviously change.
-UA still has lie-flats on BOS-SFO.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:27 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
-UA still has lie-flats on BOS-SFO.

Had no idea UA was running flat beds again to SFO. Thought it was still all 737’s. When did they re-start business class service?

pitbosflyer

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 pm

Some good news for BOS and the return of A380 service. British Airways CEO Sean Doyle specifically mentioned BOS as one of the markets that the plane works really well.
https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies/status/ ... 5690642432

aviator2000

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm

LEVEL has posponed route to Barcelona, now expected to return after the summer.

ChrisNH38

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:40 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
Some good news for BOS and the return of A380 service. British Airways CEO Sean Doyle specifically mentioned BOS as one of the markets that the plane works really well.
https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies/status/ ... 5690642432

If AA sticks around, if UA actually starts service, if JetBlue gets LHR...a lot of 'If's' there!..BA might not fly 4X to BOS again. If they go 2x or 3x, I can see one of them being the A380. And let's not forget DL and VS. Potentially, a lot of metal between these two cities!

adamh8297

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am

My prediction is UA loads BOS-LHR the day after B6 loads it.

aviator2000 wrote:
LEVEL has posponed route to Barcelona, now expected to return after the summer.

Unless COVID magically disappears in Europe come September, IAG may as well just hold off BCN-BOS until Spring 2022. I did look at LEVEL site the other day and they are better at offering connections in BCN with Vueling now so part of me hopes they come back. However, if IAG gives up on LEVEL I can see DL doing this seasonally assuming a rebound in Transatlantic travel.

B752OS

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Demand to Europe is still shot and a number of popular countries still have travel restrictions in place. We'll be lucky to maintain a modest level of service for the remainder of 2021. Capacity won't start returning until Q2 2022.

airbazar

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:33 pm

B752OS wrote:
Demand to Europe is still shot and a number of popular countries still have travel restrictions in place. We'll be lucky to maintain a modest level of service for the remainder of 2021. Capacity won't start returning until Q2 2022.

That sounds like a fair estimate however I would be shocked if the ban on travel isn't lifted this Summer.
Has anyone tried to buy a plane ticket for April vacation? I did, and the prices are back to pre-Covid days. Demand seems to outweigh the supply right now and I expect the same thing will happen in the TATL market when the restrictions are lifted this Summer.

AvGeekBOS

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:41 pm

JetBlue finally received approval to operate in the UK, they couldn’t sell tickets without that approval. Let’s see what airport they actually end up flying to. https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-u ... -approval/

aaflyer777

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:16 pm

AA adding BOS-CVG/STL/YYZ. They seem to be adding all the smaller destinations missing from the B6 network. All BOS-LAX flights to be upgraded to the A321T. I anticipate a response from DL on this one, AA seems keen on rebuilding their BOS hub

pitbosflyer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:27 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
AA adding BOS-CVG/STL/YYZ. They seem to be adding all the smaller destinations missing from the B6 network. All BOS-LAX flights to be upgraded to the A321T. I anticipate a response from DL on this one, AA seems keen on rebuilding their BOS hub

Interesting. This comes on the heals of DL just pulling all premium lie flats off of BOS-LAX
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-cut ... -lie-flat/

iyerhari

Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:33 pm

Looks like B6 added BOS-SAT, MCI, MKE and AVL.

But B6 to YVR is like wow! never saw this coming. But they are a year away for the launch so who knows.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=74365

adamh8297

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:19 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Looks like B6 added BOS-SAT, MCI, MKE and AVL.

But B6 to YVR is like wow! never saw this coming. But they are a year away for the launch so who knows.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=74365

Would love to see a Saturday flight to PVR trickle in someday too now that JFK-PVR is being launched.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

Interesting. This comes on the heals of DL just pulling all premium lie flats off of BOS-LAX
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-cut ... -lie-flat/

Amazing adds from AA/B6 today. If DL has any interest in staying the premier full service carrier in BOS they have to respond with reinstating the premium D1 flights I'd say, plus respond to the CVG/MKE/MCI/SAT etc additions.

I honestly don't even understand DL's changes on BOS-LAX. They swapped a 16-seat D1 757 for a 16-seat F 73H and added a 4th flight....so they still have 16 seats up front to fill and now more Y seats. Why not just stick with 3x daily D1 service? Given that DL is offering very basic beverage and pre-packaged snack boxes *even* in domestic D1 to LAX & SFO, no amenity kits and no longer blocking seats they could have charged what they're charging with the 73H's but had a competitive advantage. Instead, they're using those D1 757's on routes like LAX-SEA & SEA-SLC, as well as LAX & SEA - Hawaii. I'd be curious given Hawaii's travel restrictions over the last several months how many D1 customers are they attracting that actually buy J tickets from those markets? I get D1 from ATL & MSP given the length of the flight.

jplatts

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:22 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Amazing adds from AA/B6 today. If DL has any interest in staying the premier full service carrier in BOS they have to respond with reinstating the premium D1 flights I'd say, plus respond to the CVG/MKE/MCI/SAT etc additions.

I am unsure if DL would further increase capacity on BOS-CVG nonstop service in response to AA adding BOS-CVG nonstop service as DL has already dropped CVG-CLT nonstop service and as DL is continuing to suspend CVG-ORD/DFW/PHL nonstop service during the pandemic.

On the other hand, I could see some more domestic nonstop routes added by DL out of BOS such as BOS-CLT/DFW/DEN/MDT/IAH/PHX/ROC/STL/SAT/SAN/SYR in order to better compete against AA/B6 in the BOS market.

iyerhari

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:40 pm

jplatts wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

I am unsure if DL would further increase capacity on BOS-CVG nonstop service in response to AA adding BOS-CVG nonstop service as DL has already dropped CVG-CLT nonstop service and as DL is continuing to suspend CVG-ORD/DFW/PHL nonstop service during the pandemic.

On the other hand, I could see some more domestic nonstop routes added by DL out of BOS such as BOS-CLT/DFW/DEN/MDT/IAH/PHX/ROC/STL/SAT/SAN/SYR in order to better compete against AA/B6 in the BOS market.

I think some of them look to be pure placeholders IMO - most of the AA destination dates getting pushed and it is understandable till there is a reasonable confidence that people will start traveling. Business travel besides emergency is dead and nobody knows when it will pickup. This new strain and if you are reading the news in India is not good for next couple of months. Let's wait and see what new services could start and if/when they start. Honestly, I am myself waiting to travel!

tphuang

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:28 pm

This is a great day if you are an AA ff in Boston area or someone that has freedom move around. As far as I can see, AA/B6 will have all the major markets out of Boston covered a year from now. Unless you are really committed to ST/*A or just fly mostly to DL/UA hubs, I don't see any reason to not move over to a Oneworld program or Trueblue. Doesn't look like DL is putting up much of a fight in the premium front.

aaflyer777

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 am

I honestly don't think DL needs D1 on BOS-LAX right now. AA is going to have a hard time filling the front of the A321T given the current lack of business traffic, I think more than anything the reason they're putting the A321T on BOS-LAX is to offer a consistent product across all the BOS-LAX flights (can't have some flights operated by B6 A321s with mint and others operated by AA 737s with recliners). Once business traffic comes back I'm sure the 757s will return as well. DL is not going to give up BOS without a fight, I'd expect a response soon to these AA/B6 adds

tphuang

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:45 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
I honestly don't think DL needs D1 on BOS-LAX right now. AA is going to have a hard time filling the front of the A321T given the current lack of business traffic, I think more than anything the reason they're putting the A321T on BOS-LAX is to offer a consistent product across all the BOS-LAX flights (can't have some flights operated by B6 A321s with mint and others operated by AA 737s with recliners). Once business traffic comes back I'm sure the 757s will return as well. DL is not going to give up BOS without a fight, I'd expect a response soon to these AA/B6 adds

They actually have more lie flat product on domestic flights now due to dearth of international traffic. All of the JFK-SEA/SAN flights got upgraded to offering lie flat. Yet, they took BOS-LAX off D1. What does that tell you?

B752OS

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:30 am

tphuang wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

They actually have more lie flat product on domestic flights now due to dearth of international traffic. All of the JFK-SEA/SAN flights got upgraded to offering lie flat. Yet, they took BOS-LAX off D1. What does that tell you?

I'd be curious to know what DL is yielding on the SEA/SAN D1 flight from JFK? I've done some dummy bookings and D1 r/t tickets can be had for under $2k, and in a number of cases for $1,200 r/t. Of course Boston's business travel got hammered, as did everywhere else. Smart of AA to broadcast they will upgrade the service on BOS-LAX to start in Q4 2021 so that when business travel starts to pick back up in 2022, they're already in the market and may have begun to convert som DL pax.

aaflyer777

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:33 am

tphuang wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

It tells me there’s more demand for D1 on JFK-SEA/SAN than there is on BOS-LAX. Up until recently DL was using 757s on BOS-LAX. I have no idea what loads were like but I’m gonna guess they weren’t good if they felt the aircraft could be better used elsewhere. They’ll bring back D1 when there’s actually demand for it. UA is running a 737 on BOS-SFO instead of a 757 with lie flats, should we assume they’re abandoning the market and B6 will take their passengers?

tphuang

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:44 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

It tells me there’s more demand for D1 on JFK-SEA/SAN than there is on BOS-LAX. Up until recently DL was using 757s on BOS-LAX. I have no idea what loads were like but I’m gonna guess they weren’t good if they felt the aircraft could be better used elsewhere. They’ll bring back D1 when there’s actually demand for it. UA is running a 737 on BOS-SFO instead of a 757 with lie flats, should we assume they’re abandoning the market and B6 will take their passengers?

UA is bringing back lie flat on BOS-SFO in June. There was certainly some thought they may have given up lie flat service on that route when they removed BOS-SFO from the list of routes with premium service on their website (after they announced JFK-SFO/LAX)!

Keep in mind DL is not getting more premium configured 757s into service and will have a lot fewer 763s in service vs pre-COVID. At least some of the widebodies used for domestic service right now will be redeployed internationally in the future JFK-SEA has a A330-900. Both JFK-SEA/SAN have more premium configured flights now vs pre-COVID. NYC business demand is not doing better than BOS. this seems to be a decision on DL's part to move its resources from BOS market to NYC market.

aaflyer777

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:48 pm

tphuang wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

UA is bringing back lie flat on BOS-SFO in June. There was certainly some thought they may have given up lie flat service on that route when they removed BOS-SFO from the list of routes with premium service on their website (after they announced JFK-SFO/LAX)!

Keep in mind DL is not getting more premium configured 757s into service and will have a lot fewer 763s in service vs pre-COVID. At least some of the widebodies used for domestic service right now will be redeployed internationally in the future JFK-SEA has a A330-900. Both JFK-SEA/SAN have more premium configured flights now vs pre-COVID. NYC business demand is not doing better than BOS. this seems to be a decision on DL's part to move its resources from BOS market to NYC market.

The question becomes whether Delta's decision is temporary or permanent. I tend to believe its temporary, they've shifted the 757s to JFK for the time being. Maybe yields are better on JFK-SAN/SEA right now than they are on BOS-LAX, maybe load factors are higher. Yes DL will be down some 767s for the time being but they're not going to need all of them for transatlantic routes until summer 2022 at the earliest. By then they'll have more A330-900s and A350s so there should be enough slack in the fleet to run 3x BOS-LAX. DL isn't the only one shifting resources either. B6 is running a pretty thin schedule out of BOS right now and they've moved those aircraft to JFK/LGA/EWR. You yourself have said they are maxed out and do not have the aircraft to run a full schedule out of BOS/LAX/EWR/LGA/JFK/FLL. When demand recovers in BOS they'll shift planes back to BOS, DL will do the same.

tphuang

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:57 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

The question becomes whether Delta's decision is temporary or permanent. I tend to believe its temporary, they've shifted the 757s to JFK for the time being. Maybe yields are better on JFK-SAN/SEA right now than they are on BOS-LAX, maybe load factors are higher. Yes DL will be down some 767s for the time being but they're not going to need all of them for transatlantic routes until summer 2022 at the earliest. By then they'll have more A330-900s and A350s so there should be enough slack in the fleet to run 3x BOS-LAX. DL isn't the only one shifting resources either. B6 is running a pretty thin schedule out of BOS right now and they've moved those aircraft to JFK/LGA/EWR. You yourself have said they are maxed out and do not have the aircraft to run a full schedule out of BOS/LAX/EWR/LGA/JFK/FLL. When demand recovers in BOS they'll shift planes back to BOS, DL will do the same.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1459291&start=100#p22732707
DL will be down 33 763 from end of 2019 until end of 022. It will be up 15 A339 and 4 A359 in the same period. If we look at end of 2020 to end of 2022. DL is down 11 763 and up 11 A339 and no A359 in the same period. Basically, they are net flat in widebodies over these 2 years and some of these widebodies will return to flying internationally. If BOS-LAX is getting lie flat service again, it will probably have to come at the expense of JFK-SAN/SEA.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

Dummy booking for Friday, May 7th one-way:

D1 JFK-SEA: All 3 D1 flights $598.40
D1 JFK-SAN: 1 D1 flight $765.40
F BOS-LAX: $597.40 (1st and 3rd n/s flights) $798.40 (3:58pm flight)

Looking later in the month on Thursday, May 20th:

D1 JFK-SEA: First two flights $498.40, third $698.40
D1 JFK-SAN: 1 D1 flight $625.40
F BOS-LAX: $798.40, $668.40, $575.40

DL gets as much as $300 more per flight on BOS-LAX v
JFK-SEA, yet BOS loses all D1 service. Makes sense... :scratchchin:

adamh8297

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 pm

The next important question for this thread: When will someone finally launch SDF-BOS?

iyerhari

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:39 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
The next important question for this thread: When will someone finally launch SDF-BOS?

You may find this article interesting: https://simpleflying.com/boston-unserve ... c-markets/

This is pretty new article and after this B6 added SAT,

B752OS

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:03 pm

I'd be curious how much leakage SDF has with CVG? They're located roughly 90 minutes from each other.

adamh8297

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 pm

iyerhari wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

You may find this article interesting: https://simpleflying.com/boston-unserve ... c-markets/

This is pretty new article and after this B6 added SAT,

I wonder if the author's data BOS-only numbers and he mentions this when discussing ORF. I noticed GSO was up there. I remember GSP being higher than it but that was one quarter from DOT which also includes PVD/MHT.

I think GSO leaks to RDU regardless of what dataset is used.

B752OS wrote:
I'd be curious how much leakage SDF has with CVG? They're located roughly 90 minutes from each other.

IND is close too - an extra 20-30 minutes.

jplatts

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:39 am

adamh8297 wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

B752OS wrote:

IND is close too - an extra 20-30 minutes.

Q3 2019 PDEW's of some top remaining domestic routes out of BOS (excl. MHT/PVD) without B6 or AA nonstop service:
BOS-ORF - 138 (ORF not served by B6, DL already serving ORF out of BOS, G4 starting seasonal nonstop service to ORF to BOS on 5/28/2021)
BOS-ABQ - 96 (B6 does serve ABQ nonstop from JFK)
BOS-SDF - 92 (SDF not served by B6)
BOS-MEM - 91 (MEM not served by B6, DL planning on resuming BOS-MEM nonstop service)
BOS-OMA - 77 (OMA not served by B6)

Q3 2019 PDEW's of other top domestic markets from BOS/MHT/PVD market without B6 or AA nonstop service out of BOS:
BHM-BOS/MHT/PVD - 83 (BHM not served by B6)
TYS-BOS/MHT/PVD - 81 (TYS not served by B6, G4 serves TYS nonstop from BOS)
OKC-BOS/MHT/PVD - 79 (OKC not served by B6)
DSM-BOS/MHT/PVD - 75 (DSM not served by B6)
TUS-BOS/MHT/PVD - 73 (TUS no longer served by B6)
GSO-BOS/MHT/PVD - 67 (GSO not served by B6)
PNS-BOS/MHT/PVD - 56 (PNS not served by B6)
DAY-BOS/MHT/PVD - 56 (DAY not served by B6)
GEG-BOS/MHT/PVD - 56 (GEG not served by B6)
ELP-BOS/MHT/PVD - 55 (ELP not served by B6)

I agree that AA adding BOS-SDF nonstop service is a possibility with the lack of BOS-SDF nonstop service being one of the biggest remaining holes out of both BOS and SDF prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

B6 adding BOS-ABQ nonstop service is a possibility with B6 already serving ABQ and with the lack of BOS-ABQ nonstop service being one of the top remaining routes without any nonstop service out of BOS.

AA adding BOS-BHM/DSM/GSO/OMA nonstop service are also possibilities with BHM, DSM, GSO, and OMA being top remaining destinations without any nonstop service to BOS.

While BOS-ORF will be pretty well served with DL resuming BOS-ORF nonstop service and G4 starting BOS-ORF seasonal nonstop service, AA or B6 adding BOS-ORF nonstop service might be a possibility once there is enough demand for additional nonstop service to ORF from BOS in order to better compete against DL in the BOS market.

Dayton International Airport was wanting nonstop service to DAY from BOS, and AA adding DAY-BOS nonstop service might be a possibility with DAY being one of the top remaining markets without nonstop service to BOS. Dayton International Airport had also previously stated that there was some leakage onto WN CMH-BOS nonstop flights from Greater Dayton prior to WN dropping CMH-BOS nonstop service, but there would be less leakage to CMH-BOS nonstop flights from Greater Boston if AA adds DAY-BOS nonstop service, especially with WN no longer serving BOS nonstop from CMH.

massachoicetts

Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 pm

Does anyone think with these recent adds, and probably a lot more to come by AA... will AA ever officially make BOS a focus city or hub again?

I mean, with all these adds, they are looking at well over 120 flights a day.

B752OS

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 pm

massachoicetts wrote:
Does anyone think with these recent adds, and probably a lot more to come by AA... will AA ever officially make BOS a focus city or hub again?

I mean, with all these adds, they are looking at well over 120 flights a day.

Hub - No
Focus City - Possible

aaflyer777

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:14 pm

I'm wondering if AA will consider resuming BOS-CDG in the future. Big market, especially in the summer, and its kind of a hole in the OW network from BOS. Given AA's long history on the route and the B6 feed they should be able to fill a 787 in the summer

Nicknuzzii

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:32 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
I'm wondering if AA will consider resuming BOS-CDG in the future. Big market, especially in the summer, and its kind of a hole in the OW network from BOS. Given AA's long history on the route and the B6 feed they should be able to fill a 787 in the summer

Could JetBlue just do it once they get their TATL going?

ChrisNH38

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:43 am

aaflyer777 wrote:

I think more likely is once they start getting their long-legged A321s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos