Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VS4ever

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2021

Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:02 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
I wonder if Massport would consider building an A-B connector. I'm no expert but looks like you could add a gate or 2 there. Maybe move Air Canada over to the United/Southwest side of B to give Delta a few more gates?

There is one slated in the long term project plan, but they need to finish B-C first, so I suspect it will be a couple of years before it gets off the ground

tommer419

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 pm

VS4ever wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
I wonder if Massport would consider building an A-B connector. I'm no expert but looks like you could add a gate or 2 there. Maybe move Air Canada over to the United/Southwest side of B to give Delta a few more gates?

There is one slated in the long term project plan, but they need to finish B-C first, so I suspect it will be a couple of years before it gets off the ground

Not to mention, in the event AC ever vacates B1-3, AA already has eyes on those gates.

tomaheath

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 am

Anything on Westjet returning?

IceCream

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:00 pm

tomaheath wrote:
Anything on Westjet returning?

They're coming back December 17th at 4x weekly to YYZ and will also start YYC-BOS daily in late May.

rove312

Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:11 pm

C777ER wrote:
Simple Flying reports that Iberia will continue through the winter 3x a week serving BOS to meet demand

It's reported that on some January dates it will be operated on LEVEL aircraft.

BOSMEMFlyer

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 pm

Lol where is this "if AC ever suspends BOS" chatter coming from? Did I miss something?

VS4ever

Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:12 am

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
Lol where is this "if AC ever suspends BOS" chatter coming from? Did I miss something?

Not quite what he said. He said if AC ever vacates B1-B3, I.e goes somewhere else on site (albeit where they would go is a whole separate discussion). But never said anything about suspending BOS. That’s about as likely as B6 letting DL take over one of their piers.

airbazar

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:40 am

VS4ever wrote:
BOSMEMFlyer wrote:

Not quite what he said. He said if AC ever vacates B1-B3, I.e goes somewhere else on site (albeit where they would go is a whole separate discussion). But never said anything about suspending BOS. That’s about as likely as B6 letting DL take over one of their piers.

They're already in the same terminal as United, for all intents and purposes so there really is no reason for AC to go anywhere else. At best they could just trade gates with AA so they could be closer to the UA gates and lounge.

BOSMEMFlyer

Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:39 am

VS4ever wrote:
BOSMEMFlyer wrote:

See thunderjet's earlier comment: "You add at least 12 widebody gates with customs that leads straight to domestic DL connecting gates. But Delta will have to spend hundreds of millions to build it. In the mean time they'll take over the Air Canada gates when AC suspends Boston."

FGITD

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:10 am

Wonder where that idea came from…can’t see AC leaving.

Of course that same post talks about knocking down half the airport. and that somehow while Delta expands Terminal A, they’d somehow take over 2 narrow body gates in an isolated corner of terminal B? Going to write that off as being a bit nonsense

RobertS975

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:57 pm

thunderjet747 wrote:
Terminal A can add customs and gates easy by knocking down all the cargo buildings and extending the satellite all the way to the firehouse. There are just parking lots and a road in front of those cargo buildings. So plenty of room for gates on both sides of the extension not interfering with runway 14/32. You add at least 12 widebody gates with customs that leads straight to domestic DL connecting gates. But Delta will have to spend hundreds of millions to build it. In the mean time they'll take over the Air Canada gates when AC suspends Boston.

I have advocated moving the Fedex cargo operations as well as the other cargo buildings out of the prime location that they are currently occupying. I certainly wouldn't call the process "easy" by any means. I imagine that AA would also want some of those gates as well. But if it got the go-ahead tomorrow, you are still talking 3-4 years into the future.

FGITD

Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:09 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
thunderjet747 wrote:
Terminal A can add customs and gates easy by knocking down all the cargo buildings and extending the satellite all the way to the firehouse. There are just parking lots and a road in front of those cargo buildings. So plenty of room for gates on both sides of the extension not interfering with runway 14/32. You add at least 12 widebody gates with customs that leads straight to domestic DL connecting gates. But Delta will have to spend hundreds of millions to build it. In the mean time they'll take over the Air Canada gates when AC suspends Boston.

I have advocated moving the Fedex cargo operations as well as the other cargo buildings out of the prime location that they are currently occupying. I certainly wouldn't call the process "easy" by any means. I imagine that AA would also want some of those gates as well. But if it got the go-ahead tomorrow, you are still talking 3-4 years into the future.

The problem is you aren’t just moving FedEx. You’re moving literally every cargo operation except UPS and DHL. Good luck rallying support from every carrier at the airport to knock down their cargo ops so that Delta can have a few more gates.

tlecam

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:24 pm

FGITD wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:
thunderjet747 wrote:

The problem is you aren’t just moving FedEx. You’re moving literally every cargo operation except UPS and DHL. Good luck rallying support from every carrier at the airport to knock down their cargo ops so that Delta can have a few more gates.

That, and they have to move to someplace.

The costs of moving the cargo buildings, expanding the Term A Satellite AND adding customs/immigration are substantial and I'm not convinced that adding all Skyteam and DL partner flights (AF,KLM, Korean, Virgin etc...) let alone Delta's own metal would justify the costs.

B752OS

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:40 pm

Not sure where the cargo facilities could really be moved to. You also have a vent building for the Ted Williams Tunnel over there and Massport fire and rescue. I guess if they got rid of 32/14, you could move them next to the water?

Long term, if Massport can figure out a place to move the economy lot and State Police barracks, that would open up a pretty decent amount of space. Apart from filling in some of the harbor (a massive ask) there's not a whole lot of real estate left for Massport.

FGITD

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:42 pm

tlecam wrote:
FGITD wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

That, and they have to move to someplace.

The costs of moving the cargo buildings, expanding the Term A Satellite AND adding customs/immigration are substantial and I'm not convinced that adding all Skyteam and DL partner flights (AF,KLM, Korean, Virgin etc...) let alone Delta's own metal would justify the costs.

The other skyteam members would have no reason to go, since E is expanding anyway.

Moving cargo requires a lot of work. You need the infrastructure and direct highway access. I’m sure most posters here have never been down Harborside Drive since there’s really no reason to. But take a drive down that way some weekday morning and afternoon. Dozens of trucks up and down the street, blocking the parking lots, at the docks…everywhere. Boston rightfully doesn’t get the cargo reputation of other airports but it’s far from empty

ScottB

Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:55 pm

tlecam wrote:

The cost of moving the cargo buildings would be pretty low -- it's basically industrial/warehouse space. It can go over by the North Cargo Ramp/Wood Island although the neighbors would pitch a fit. The big cost would be extending the A satellite and/or providing a connector to Terminal B under the ramp/taxiways (if AA wants gates). Putting FIS into an expanded satellite might work well since passengers could exit to a truncated Harborside Dr access point.

If Delta wants to grow past ~200 daily departures at BOS that's the only way they'll get it done.

ScottB

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:02 pm

B752OS wrote:
Long term, if Massport can figure out a place to move the economy lot and State Police barracks, that would open up a pretty decent amount of space. Apart from filling in some of the harbor (a massive ask) there's not a whole lot of real estate left for Massport.

There's a ton of space for a relocated Economy Parking and relocated barracks for the Staties -- either between the Rental Car Center and Terminal A, or between the Rental Car Center and Memorial Park, or between the Hyatt and the garage for the Massport Office Building.

FGITD

Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:09 pm

That whole area by wood island is already occupied by Massport facilities, and beyond that is ground handler storage. All those buildings you might see over there are literally stuffed full of equipment

AviationAddict

Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:53 pm

Would Massport ever consider moving the Economy Parking off-airport property? That piece of land on 1A between the Courtyard Marriott and the Avis lot looks enticing. It certainly wouldn't be as convenient for most people but at least it would free up valuable real estate on the airfield.

airbazar

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:18 pm

tlecam

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:12 pm

airbazar wrote:

It will be interesting - it's a relatively high seat count for Polaris, plus their premium economy cabin.

Glad to see more competition, although I am curious about how the competition will play out across:

Sample from a random Friday next June:

AA/BA 5x including the morning flight 3x 777, 2x 787
B6: 321LR
DL/Virgin (3x including the morning flight) 2x 787. 1x 767
UA: 1x 767

airbazar

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:55 pm

tlecam wrote:
airbazar wrote:

It will be interesting - it's a relatively high seat count for Polaris, plus their premium economy cabin.

Glad to see more competition, although I am curious about how the competition will play out across:

Sample from a random Friday next June:

AA/BA 5x including the morning flight 3x 777, 2x 787
B6: 321LR
DL/Virgin (3x including the morning flight) 2x 787. 1x 767
UA: 1x 767

It's all about corporate contracts IMO. UA clearly knows that there is demand from BOS and they couldn't afford to continue to make their clients backtrack to EWR, any longer. The press release makes this clear:
"London was the most booked international destination for United's business customers in October, and the airline expects this trend to continue into 2022."
My main questions is this: Given the lack of a Polaris lounge will the flight depart from terminal B or terminal E so the passengers can use LH's lounge?
It's a long walk but B-to-E will be connected post security.

ScottB

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:44 pm

airbazar wrote:
My main questions is this: Given the lack of a Polaris lounge will the flight depart from terminal B or terminal E so the passengers can use LH's lounge?
It's a long walk but B-to-E will be connected post security.

There may not be a Polaris Lounge at BOS, but it's not as if DEN has a Polaris lounge, either. Premium passengers are not going to want to walk a very circuitous 30-minute path from the end of Terminal B to Terminal E just to use LH's lounge. The flight will depart from B.

FGITD

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Agreed on that…no way UA is going to inconvenience every connecting passenger and confuse every local passenger by going to E, just so some of the business class folk can go to the LH lounge for a quick drink.

Not to mention the space issue.

Glad to see additional flights out of here, but at this point seeing an LHR announcement hits about the same as seeing a new frequency to JFK. Yaaaaawn.

airbazar

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:13 pm

FGITD wrote:
Agreed on that…no way UA is going to inconvenience every connecting passenger and confuse every local passenger by going to E, just so some of the business class folk can go to the LH lounge for a quick drink.

You're probably right but I don't see UA doing a lot of connections at BOS. Maybe some dirt cheap basic Y fares. All of the cities they serve from BOS have their own non-stop service to LHR plus they are better off funneling conx traffic thru a hub rather than BOS. With hourly flights from EWR to LHR I really don't see any UA pax connecting in Boston.
I also won't be surprised if this is a quick turn around rather than a plane flying in from another U.S. city. I just don't see UA operating a 763 with 46? Polaris seats on any domestic route in and out of BOS. BOS will likely be a spoke from their LHR pseudo-hub. So in a way it would make some sense for the flight to arrive and depart from terminal E, with a short turn rather than have to deal with the towing across the airport.

VS4ever

Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:46 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:

You're probably right but I don't see UA doing a lot of connections at BOS. Maybe some dirt cheap basic Y fares. All of the cities they serve from BOS have their own non-stop service to LHR plus they are better off funneling conx traffic thru a hub rather than BOS. With hourly flights from EWR to LHR I really don't see any UA pax connecting in Boston.
I also won't be surprised if this is a quick turn around rather than a plane flying in from another U.S. city. I just don't see UA operating a 763 with 46? Polaris seats on any domestic route in and out of BOS. BOS will likely be a spoke from their LHR pseudo-hub. So in a way it would make some sense for the flight to arrive and depart from terminal E, with a short turn rather than have to deal with the towing across the airport.

Well the schedule seems to have enough slack in it for FGITD to be closer to the mark

Flight arrives 7.40PM from LHR and departs 10.25PM from BOS, that’s a perfect amount of time to disembark in E. Tow to B and be ready and prepped for boarding around 9.40PM for a 10.25PM departure

Massport don’t like aircraft on E stands too long unless you are named BA for example. So there will be incentive to get them over to B asap. In theory right now based on my analysis of a sample week in July 22, there is room for them but nobody else would have a look in and I’m not sure Massport would want to box themselves in that way.

airbazar

Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:30 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Well the schedule seems to have enough slack in it for FGITD to be closer to the mark

Flight arrives 7.40PM from LHR and departs 10.25PM from BOS, that’s a perfect amount of time to disembark in E. Tow to B and be ready and prepped for boarding around 9.40PM for a 10.25PM departure

Massport don’t like aircraft on E stands too long unless you are named BA for example. So there will be incentive to get them over to B asap. In theory right now based on my analysis of a sample week in July 22, there is room for them but nobody else would have a look in and I’m not sure Massport would want to box themselves in that way.

Yup, 2:45 is too much time sitting at a gate. On the flip side, terminal B will be empty at that time. And the schedule pretty much confirms that no connections are happening in BOS. I don't know what their Summer sched will be but currently UA's latest departure is an 8pm to IAH.

tlecam

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:37 pm

airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Yup, 2:45 is too much time sitting at a gate. On the flip side, terminal B will be empty at that time. And the schedule pretty much confirms that no connections are happening in BOS. I don't know what their Summer sched will be but currently UA's latest departure is an 8pm to IAH.

Realistically also makes the United Club in C a viable option for the B class passengers - it won't be too busy with other customers.

VS4ever

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Here's my latest view of Terminal E ops for 2022. Now this is based on schedules loaded for 7/11/2022 to 7/17/2022, however a few of the domestic schedules (SY/G4 for example) have not been loaded that far out, so i've assumed their last loaded position continues. If i've missed anyone, or you know something different, let me know and I will update. data was pulled from a few sources to cross check.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

adamh8297

Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:38 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Here's my latest view of Terminal E ops for 2022. Now this is based on schedules loaded for 7/11/2022 to 7/17/2022, however a few of the domestic schedules (SY/G4 for example) have not been loaded that far out, so i've assumed their last loaded position continues. If i've missed anyone, or you know something different, let me know and I will update. data was pulled from a few sources to cross check.

Wow still looks busy!!! My only question/comment would be this: Does DL DUB-BOS go directly to Terminal A since there is preclearance in DUB?

VS4ever

Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:44 am

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Wow still looks busy!!! My only question/comment would be this: Does DL DUB-BOS go directly to Terminal A since there is preclearance in DUB?

You are right, I always forget that. However given that all their other flights could be over in E. It might still stay…

I will pull it to one side just in case

FGITD

Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:17 am

VS4ever wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

You are right, I always forget that. However given that all their other flights could be over in E. It might still stay…

I will pull it to one side just in case

Memory is a little hazy and I never paid very close attention, but I believe the DL DUB flight went direct to A. I think it was a 757 and I don’t recall seeing DL 757s at E on a regular basis.

Noticed that with delta using their cargo ramp has crowded up South cargo. A line of FX 767s and an a330 at the end

RobertS975

Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:56 pm

Dublin flights that have precleared US Customs and Immigration can be handled the same as domestic arrivals.

JoePatroni

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:33 pm

Did anyone happen to catch the Air France A350 today? AF started bringing in the A350 today. Unfortunately I’m off today and wasn’t able to get a picture. I can try tomorrow. Is this the first time the AF A350 has been in BOS?

FGITD

Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:38 pm

JoePatroni wrote:
Did anyone happen to catch the Air France A350 today? AF started bringing in the A350 today. Unfortunately I’m off today and wasn’t able to get a picture. I can try tomorrow. Is this the first time the AF A350 has been in BOS?

First AF 350 to BOS. BOS was supposed to be one of the first international stations to get it, then covid happened.

I’ll try to grab a few photos at some point this week

tlecam

Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:38 am

Interesting article about Delta’s strategy in BOS - profitability as opposed to market share. This is a bit of a puff piece, but there is enough analysis / insight that I thought it was worth sharing.

https://apple.news/AxLzoLNbvQEO78uk8wBDFnQ

FGITD

Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:25 pm

JoePatroni wrote:

Best I could do. Didn’t want to get in the way too much!

tomaheath

Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:05 pm

FGITD wrote:
JoePatroni wrote:

I think you did ok. Thanks for sharing.

JoePatroni

Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:07 pm

FGITD wrote:
JoePatroni wrote:

Awesome shot FGITD!!!

What a gorgeous bird. Can't wait to see it in person. Thanks for posting!

adamh8297

Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:30 am

tlecam wrote:
Interesting article about Delta’s strategy in BOS - profitability as opposed to market share. This is a bit of a puff piece, but there is enough analysis / insight that I thought it was worth sharing.

Lie flats on BOS-SEA is new to me. B6 still has MINT on the route too.

UppinhereP

Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:34 am

FGITD wrote:
JoePatroni wrote:

GREAT Sir... Kudos...

Thank you kindly!

tlecam

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:45 pm

FGITD wrote:
JoePatroni wrote:

Wow. Great picture!

I haven't been on AF 350 yet, but I am generally a fan of AF and fly them quite a bit for work international - really looking forward to trying this plane!

tlecam

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:49 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Lie flats on BOS-SEA is new to me. B6 still has MINT on the route too.

I think they had offered this at one point, and then reverted back to a standard domestic first class. I didn't catch the "select flights to Seattle" caveat before - I'm curious as to which - would make sense for the early AM / PM flights to Seattle (for business passengers) and especially for the red eye back to Boston for business travelers.

cs03

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:26 pm

Came into BOS from RUT this PM after almost 2 years away due to pandemic on Cape Air on P212 and BOS really was busy in Terminal C! Connection to Terminal E is quite the change from the landside trek of the past. Logan Hilton has business and it is quite amazing to see all the work on the B to C connector. (not to mention the 13 9K aircraft on the ramp). Just an observance!

seat24charlie

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:32 pm

Any insight into the loads for flights to London since travel restrictions were eased in the UK?

airbazar

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:42 pm

seat24charlie wrote:
Any insight into the loads for flights to London since travel restrictions were eased in the UK?

I can tell you that my late departure from LHR on BA (BA0239), for Dec 31st was cancelled. Most likely because there wasn't enough demand for the morning flight out of Boston on January 1st. Understandable but IMO, a clear indication that we're still some ways away from being back to normal.

tlecam

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:13 am

No metrics, but I read somewhere that int’l flight demand went up almost 500% after the US opened the borders to vaccinated people.

EADSYABSOB73857

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:37 pm

At Terminal A this morning going to LAX on DL, and the terminal is pretty busy, lots of flights going in and out and big crowds. Things are getting back to normal. One thing I’m noticing while sitting in the Sky Club in the satellite terminal looking out over the airside toward the cargo facilities… if there was going to be an addition put on in the future, I’m not sure how they would do it or even if it could be done. That ventilation building is right at the end of the concourse, there would have to be a really sharp curve, like a 90 degree angle, in the addition to go around the building out towards the cargo facilities.

ScottB

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:17 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
At Terminal A this morning going to LAX on DL, and the terminal is pretty busy, lots of flights going in and out and big crowds. Things are getting back to normal. One thing I’m noticing while sitting in the Sky Club in the satellite terminal looking out over the airside toward the cargo facilities… if there was going to be an addition put on in the future, I’m not sure how they would do it or even if it could be done. That ventilation building is right at the end of the concourse, there would have to be a really sharp curve, like a 90 degree angle, in the addition to go around the building out towards the cargo facilities.

It wouldn't be that difficult. If you just want a connecting walkway to a new concourse on top of the cargo facilities, build a wider version of the structure which connects the terminal to the passenger loading bridge for gate A13 and continue south next to the ventilation building. Alternately, if a full-width concourse is necessary, angle into the ramp just past current gate A15. That might require restricting the types of aircraft which could park at A13 or A14.

Ideally, I think the design for gates in the existing South Cargo area would include an underground people mover with stops at the Terminal A head house, the AA pier of Terminal B (B4-B12), and a double-loaded satellite concourse in the cargo area. This would allow both AA and DL room for growth at BOS. A connecting walkway to the existing A satellite would just make connections less circuitous between the two satellite concourses.

FGITD

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:39 pm

Where does cargo go, in this case?

I’ve always liked the people mover idea. Unfortunately in most of the airport, if you dig down 2 feet you’re in the harbor

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos