Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N292UX

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2021

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:01 pm

TK just announced DTW & SEA. No TK to PHL for now, but I imagine it's near the top of their list of unserved cities.

jplatts

Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:23 pm

AA adding PHL-PDX nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) PDX being one of the top domestic markets traveled to from PHL not currently served nonstop from PHL,
(b) AA having a FF base in Greater Philadelphia (and other Northeastern U.S. markets) to support PHL-PDX nonstop service on AA,
(c) AA also having AS's FF base in Greater Portland (in addition to its FF base in the Northeastern U.S.) to support PHL-PDX nonstop service on AA,
(d) connecting opportunities available onto AS flights out of PDX to destinations in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest if PHL-PDX nonstop service is added by AA,
(e) connecting opportunities available to some other AA destinations in the Northeastern U.S., Eastern Canada, and Europe through PHL from PDX if PHL-PDX nonstop service is added by AA, and
(f) the PDEW of PHL-PDX being 96 passengers/day in Q2 2021, with approximately 41.17% of the PHL-PDX demand being on AA and approximately 20.70% of the PHL-PDX demand being on AS.

I am actually surprised that AA doesn't serve PDX nonstop from PHL as there is likely enough demand for at least 1 daily nonstop to PDX from PHL with the connecting traffic that AA would have on the PHL-PDX route.

usairways85

Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:08 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA adding PHL-PDX nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) PDX being one of the top domestic markets traveled to from PHL not currently served nonstop from PHL,
(b) AA having a FF base in Greater Philadelphia (and other Northeastern U.S. markets) to support PHL-PDX nonstop service on AA,
(c) AA also having AS's FF base in Greater Portland (in addition to its FF base in the Northeastern U.S.) to support PHL-PDX nonstop service on AA,
(d) connecting opportunities available onto AS flights out of PDX to destinations in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest if PHL-PDX nonstop service is added by AA,
(e) connecting opportunities available to some other AA destinations in the Northeastern U.S., Eastern Canada, and Europe through PHL from PDX if PHL-PDX nonstop service is added by AA, and
(f) the PDEW of PHL-PDX being 96 passengers/day in Q2 2021, with approximately 41.17% of the PHL-PDX demand being on AA and approximately 20.70% of the PHL-PDX demand being on AS.

I am actually surprised that AA doesn't serve PDX nonstop from PHL as there is likely enough demand for at least 1 daily nonstop to PDX from PHL with the connecting traffic that AA would have on the PHL-PDX route.

For a few summers it was 2x daily with both AA and AS. I think the AA season was pretty short and only amounted to ~10 weeks and IIRC the AS flight was a somewhat brutally timed redeye. I hope it's a S22 priority, especially with the AS points you mentioned

PHLspecial

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:33 am

N292UX wrote:
TK just announced DTW & SEA. No TK to PHL for now, but I imagine it's near the top of their list of unserved cities.

Anyone why DTW would be picked over PHL? It's disappointing but the airport international traffic is quiet. Only flights to LHR and DOH.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:36 am

PHLspecial wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Anyone why DTW would be picked over PHL? It's disappointing but the airport international traffic is quiet. Only flights to LHR and DOH.

DTW is a significant catchment area for a lot of markets TK goes after, so it makes sense. AA is running LHR and DUB out of PHL, LH is flying to FRA, and BA is in the market as well, to LHR alongside AA. Think the issue with PHL and a restoration of a larger TATL portfolio will largely depend on the fate of 787 deliveries to AA (which also will impact international route announcements for 2022 broadly for AA). FCO and ATH ran for shortened seasonal service this year and I would expect both to return next year.

Bigant0408

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:28 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
N292UX wrote:

DTW is a significant catchment area for a lot of markets TK goes after, so it makes sense. AA is running LHR and DUB out of PHL, LH is flying to FRA, and BA is in the market as well, to LHR alongside AA. Think the issue with PHL and a restoration of a larger TATL portfolio will largely depend on the fate of 787 deliveries to AA (which also will impact international route announcements for 2022 broadly for AA). FCO and ATH ran for shortened seasonal service this year and I would expect both to return next year.

I agree with you on all of this. IMO outside of Connect Airlines (if that ever happens) I can't picture any new airlines foreign or US opening up service anytime soon especially for international. Side note it is good to see Aer Lingus coming back next year.

PHLspecial

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:03 am

This article suggest that the Economy parking lot is going to remain closed for the rest of the year used for phase one of the cargo expansion. Anyone have an idea what they are going to use this land for?

“This real estate will serve to support phase one of our cargo redevelopment program,” PHL chief revenue officer James Tyrrell said in an interview. The 40-acre parcel will be a “critical piece for us being able to start that program.”

https://www.inquirer.com/business/phila ... ation=true

usairways85

Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:48 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
This article suggest that the Economy parking lot is going to remain closed for the rest of the year used for phase one of the cargo expansion. Anyone have an idea what they are going to use this land for?

“This real estate will serve to support phase one of our cargo redevelopment program,” PHL chief revenue officer James Tyrrell said in an interview. The 40-acre parcel will be a “critical piece for us being able to start that program.”

I saw this article as well. Pre-Covid the Economy lot was always pretty packed so this seems a little short sighted. On the other hand, PHL is playing catch up in the cargo space. There are no shortages of warehouses and distribution centers from Middletown, DE, Northeast Philly, Mullica Hill, NJ, Florence, NJ. Yet, PHL has done virtually nothing to build out cargo infrastructure (not counting UPS)

PHLspecial

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:08 pm

In other news Titan 161 B752 SNN-PHL as a scheduled flight today? Does that have to do with the resettlement effort still?

Also anyone have a list on all the domestic/Caribbean widebody flights?

Bigant0408

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:48 pm

In a November 4th Regulations.gov Filing in regards to Waltzing Matilda Aviation (Connect Airlines) response to Air Line Pilots Association "ALPA" issues with them starting service, it is stated that their planned maintenance base is at PHL

"WMA’s planned maintenance base for
its planned Q400 operation is at Philadelphia International Airport where a lease has already
been signed for the appropriate facility"

PHLspecial

Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:59 pm

So it's an issue with the union flying to philly? What is the reasoning to not start service?

Bigant0408

Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:08 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
So it's an issue with the union flying to philly? What is the reasoning to not start service?

I wish I can post the links on here but you can always pull them from the website. It seems like it's a lot going on ranging from this latest development of WMA being questioned about how pilots would be paid, are they considered a US or Canadian airline and at one point John Thomas being questioned on his citizenship. That's just small spec of situations being questioned.

Bigant0408

Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:51 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

Simply Flying Details of ALPA concerns with Connect Airlines

https://simpleflying.com/alpa-connect-airlines/

sagechan

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:08 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Simply Flying Details of ALPA concerns with Connect Airlines

https://simpleflying.com/alpa-connect-airlines/

I understand the concern for domestic flights portion somewhat, but it appears that Air Canada Jazz Q pilots are better paid than Horizon pilots. It's not like Canada is a low wage and Toronto is such a notoriously inexpensive city... so the pay concerns is usual faux outrage from ALPA.

usairways85

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:48 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

Here's the official announcement.

https://phl.org/newsroom/cargo-development-update

Not much detail. They state only "a portion" of the economy lot will be used for cargo development. They also mention plans for a potential long-term replacement...but no detail.

PHLspecial

Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:57 pm

usairways85 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Not much detail. They state only "a portion" of the economy lot will be used for cargo development. They also mention plans for a potential long-term replacement...but no detail.

Who would move into the economy lot? It would have to be a new cargo airline I would think.
It terms of economy parking I would think would finally build a garage to replace the rental car lots and put all of them into one building/garage.

jplatts

Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of PHL in August 2021:
ATL-PHL - 9137 passengers, 9886 seats, 92.42% load factor
BNA-PHL - 18008 passengers, 19502 seats, 92.34% load factor
DEN-PHL - 26558 passengers, 28020 seats, 94.78% load factor
FLL-PHL - 1209 passengers, 1287 seats, 93.94% load factor
HOU-PHL - 1681 passengers, 1733 seats, 97.00% load factor
MCO-PHL - 26833 passengers, 28614 seats, 93.78% load factor
MDW-PHL - 25601 passengers, 27043 seats, 94.67% load factor
PHL-STL - 9165 passengers, 9587 seats, 95.60% load factor
PHL-TPA - 2303 passengers, 2544 seats, 90.53% load factor

aerace

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here are the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN flights out of PHL in August 2021:
ATL-PHL - 9137 passengers, 9886 seats, 92.42% load factor
BNA-PHL - 18008 passengers, 19502 seats, 92.34% load factor
DEN-PHL - 26558 passengers, 28020 seats, 94.78% load factor
FLL-PHL - 1209 passengers, 1287 seats, 93.94% load factor
HOU-PHL - 1681 passengers, 1733 seats, 97.00% load factor
MCO-PHL - 26833 passengers, 28614 seats, 93.78% load factor
MDW-PHL - 25601 passengers, 27043 seats, 94.67% load factor
PHL-STL - 9165 passengers, 9587 seats, 95.60% load factor
PHL-TPA - 2303 passengers, 2544 seats, 90.53% load factor

I know that LFs don't dictate performance and some of these are running 1x/week but these seem pretty decent for WN for the end of summer.

crownvic

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:09 am

usairways85 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

While it is good to see a push for expanded cargo facilities, I am not for this plan. I have always felt that PHL does not efficiently use it's space properly and it has been going on through the years, regardless of administrations. Looking from overhead images, they are creating cargo facilities clear across the airport from existing facilities. The Economy Lot would be a natural location for a Terminal/Concourse "G". I would have thought they would have built this at the far west end of the airport with the land they acquired from Tinicum Twnshp.

Several years back, they rushed to tear down the former Overseas Terminal and that land has never been used effectively in any way. In fact, the entire stretch of Island Ave is practically unused. Would have been a good place to put a linear LCC terminal. The installation of r/w 8/26 was another questionable move. My point is, I realize, that I am an outsider looking in, but some of the things they continue to do at this airport really begs the question of why, why, why?

BENFRANKLIN

Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:57 am

crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

While it is good to see a push for expanded cargo facilities, I am not for this plan. I have always felt that PHL does not efficiently use it's space properly and it has been going on through the years, regardless of administrations. Looking from overhead images, they are creating cargo facilities clear across the airport from existing facilities. The Economy Lot would be a natural location for a Terminal/Concourse "G". I would have thought they would have built this at the far west end of the airport with the land they acquired from Tinicum Twnshp.

Several years back, they rushed to tear down the former Overseas Terminal and that land has never been used effectively in any way. In fact, the entire stretch of Island Ave is practically unused. Would have been a good place to put a linear LCC terminal. The installation of r/w 8/26 was another questionable move. My point is, I realize, that I am an outsider looking in, but some of the things they continue to do at this airport really begs the question of why, why, why?

Couldn’t agree more. Move the Regionals over to the new “G” terminal and slide everything over. A-west would be more space for the internationals. Also what about the open land next to UPS on both sides? can’t this be utilized ?

PHLspecial

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:01 am

BENFRANKLIN wrote:
crownvic wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

Couldn’t agree more. Move the Regionals over to the new “G” terminal and slide everything over. A-west would be more space for the internationals. Also what about the open land next to UPS on both sides? can’t this be utilized ?

I think part of the reason why some small cargo is going to the economy lot is because the prefight lot was sold to a logistics company. Do I agree with building cargo on the economy lot? No. Terminals would benefit from a rebuild. That's what all the NYC and Newark airports are doing. So why aren't we doing the same? We still haven't been able to land an eastern Asian flight yet.

Also 8/26 should be closed down should the airport need more space in the future for expansion. It's not a useful runway.

wagz

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:02 pm

The cargo expansion is not going on the economy lot. I believe it’s earlier in this thread, but it’s going west of de ice and north of taxiway S so it’s adjacent to current cargo city.

I was told the economy lot closure is to accommodate construction equipment entering/exiting the airfield for that project.

PHLspecial

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:51 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/american- ... 4363C&tw=1

PHL losing service to Baltimore, LaGuardia, Charleston WV, and Ottawa.

Imo lost of service to BWI and LGA really won't hurt the airport. I'm going to guess that PHL - JFK will go away once the spring time comes. Hopefully the airport gets more destinations that are longer flights

usairways85

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:34 am

IIRC PHL-BWI was already dropped once and I think the same can be said for LGA.

Bigant0408

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:36 pm

Does anyone know if JetBlue route to San Juan is suspended? I did some dummy bookings up until march and it’s just showing layovers.

usairways85

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:26 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Does anyone know if JetBlue route to San Juan is suspended? I did some dummy bookings up until march and it’s just showing layovers.

I check flightaware periodically and noticed it has not operated in a while. **Update, looks like it stopped at the end of October. I think PHL-SJU had the best loads on all of the pandemic adds, but they are also going up against NK/F9 who are nearly at 2x day

Bigant0408

Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:31 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I check flightaware periodically and noticed it has not operated in a while. **Update, looks like it stopped at the end of October. I think PHL-SJU had the best loads on all of the pandemic adds, but they are also going up against NK/F9 who are nearly at 2x day

Thanks for the update. I wonder if they are making the route seasonal or they are just done. I do agree that was there best performing route but F9 and NK are just going hard with there routes as well plus AA

PHLspecial

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

I'm not sure if it's coming back because JetBlue needs use all NYC slots and might not have planes or crews to run it. Hope I'm wrong though

FLYKTPA

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:27 am

Bigant0408 wrote:

It’s only in the schedule around Christmas rn. It’s out of the schedule until June 14th it appears.

tphuang

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:42 am

Nothing against PHL. JetBlue needs all the aircraft it has for NEA expansion.

Bigant0408

Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:34 pm

tphuang wrote:
Nothing against PHL. JetBlue needs all the aircraft it has for NEA expansion.

Which would make sense.

Bigant0408

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Looks like the Worcester route will be switched from PHL to JFK next year. So another route that will be cut.

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/202 ... 652103002/

PHLspecial

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:26 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
Looks like the Worcester route will be switched from PHL to JFK next year. So another route that will be cut.

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/202 ... 652103002/

Worcester, I'm sure was not a big connecting airport. It's funny that they flew E145 and didn't use the cat iii ils system. It will be back once AA doesn't need to squat anymore slots and to keep Massport happy.

We need flights to the West Coast and the rust belt cities. That would boost a lot of our connecting traffic.

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:28 pm

Frontier will be starting service to FLL starting next year among other routes they mentioned

https://thepointsguy.com/news/frontier-new-routes-fll/

phljjs

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:50 am

LH notified stakeholders yesterday that they were suspending service from January 23rd to February 28th. Service is scheduled to resume on March 1st with 3x weekly flights for spring and 5x for summer.

Bigant0408

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:15 pm

phljjs wrote:
LH notified stakeholders yesterday that they were suspending service from January 23rd to February 28th. Service is scheduled to resume on March 1st with 3x weekly flights for spring and 5x for summer.

Hmm I wonder what’s the reason for this? Poor load factors maybe?

phljjs

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
phljjs wrote:

Reason given was the pandemic. They are averaging less than 150 PAX per flight right now, with some flights going out with less than 100 on board. I can't remember their performance in previous years, but I'm sure bookings are already low in winter, so it's not surprising to me that it's not worth flying the route for at least a few weeks.

Bigant0408

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:42 pm

phljjs wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
phljjs wrote:

Reason given was the pandemic. They are averaging less than 150 PAX per flight right now, with some flights going out with less than 100 on board. I can't remember their performance in previous years, but I'm sure bookings are already low in winter, so it's not surprising to me that it's not worth flying the route for at least a few weeks.

Thanks for the update on this. Makes sense. I’m just glad they aren’t terminating the route completely.

PHLspecial

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:38 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
phljjs wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Thanks for the update on this. Makes sense. I’m just glad they aren’t terminating the route completely.

I'm curious what keeps this route alive. Is it because of SAP and or cargo that LH keeps flying this route? I hope so especially with the cargo

usairways85

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:21 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
phljjs wrote:

I'm curious what keeps this route alive. Is it because of SAP and or cargo that LH keeps flying this route? I hope so especially with the cargo

It's probably partially a result of SAP and potentially other German based companies in the PHL area. Since LH was able to drive AA off of FRA-PHL, implying there are some German/EU based paxs that lean towards LH.

It's an unprecedented time, so this is not that surprising. But a city the size of PHL with the economic activity it has should be able to sustain non-OW carriers to the primary connecting hubs of the EU (LH to FRA, AF to CDG, KL to AMS). For a multitude a reasons widely discussed, PHL punches below it's weight.

Bigant0408

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:28 pm

WMA (Connect Airlines) is now hiring Flight Attendants at PHL

https://wmaviation.bamboohr.com/jobs/vi ... urce=other

PHLspecial

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:59 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:

Darn I don't meet qualifications! Joking aside I'm glad to see this being developed and more jobs in our city. Would be cool we had more economical relations with Toronto and Frankfurt

Bigant0408

Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:47 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Darn I don't meet qualifications! Joking aside I'm glad to see this being developed and more jobs in our city. Would be cool we had more economical relations with Toronto and Frankfurt

Lol same here. Yea I agree. I'm just ready to her the official announcement of when they will start service.

PHLspecial

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:13 pm

It seems like the economy lot will be closed forever. IMO it's cheaper to grab offsite parking. Don't know what it's such a big deal closing the economy lot. Now only if Septa can increase it's train frequencies.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-airp ... efinitely/

Bigant0408

Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:08 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
It seems like the economy lot will be closed forever. IMO it's cheaper to grab offsite parking. Don't know what it's such a big deal closing the economy lot. Now only if Septa can increase it's train frequencies.

IMO I think it was more so the convenience on being on airport property being close to the airport. I'm positive prices will go up from third party lots if they haven't already

Bigant0408

Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Aer Lingus is moving there resumption date from May to April 7th 2022.

PHLspecial

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:42 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

IMO I think it was more so the convenience on being on airport property being close to the airport. I'm positive prices will go up from third party lots if they haven't already

The word they used is indefinitely. So I'm guess it will reopen after the cargo terminals are finished construction

aerace

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Sizable NK expansion from PHL announced this AM. 2 completely unserved markets (Aguadilla, PR and Oakland, CA), along with adds to MSY, IAH, BNA, MBJ, PUJ and another CUN flight. This is going to be fun to watch how AA and F9 respond.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit-ai ... expansion/

Bigant0408

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:16 pm

aerace wrote:
Sizable NK expansion from PHL announced this AM. 2 completely unserved markets (Aguadilla, PR and Oakland, CA), along with adds to MSY, IAH, BNA, MBJ, PUJ and another CUN flight. This is going to be fun to watch how AA and F9 respond.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit-ai ... expansion/

I just got done reading it. I wasn't expecting this at all which I'm not mad about. I feel it was a smart move on PHL part by taking back to two Southwest gates. I look forward to seeing how these routes perform

usairways85

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:31 pm

WN has been squatting on the gates for long enough. They've become almost irrelevant in the PHL-Florida marketing when compared to F9/NK. My in-law's fly with the WN companion pass and are frequently frustrated that WN only operates ~2 MCO-PHL flts a day.

Didn't NK previously serve PHL-MSY for a little while? Either way, it's hard to fully believe the "natural" growth argument when 5 of the routes are F9 routes. F9 and NK will now serve SJU, BQN, NAS, PUJ, MBJ, and CUN in Caribbean/Mexico. That is quite the order against AA. Interesting that the warm weather destinations are planned for the Summer instead of the traditional spring break season.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos