Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Chicago Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:08 pm

Welcome to Chicago Aviation Thread - 2021. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437979

ORDfan

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2021

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:58 pm

I think most in the aviation industry, travelers, and workers alike will be happy to see 2020 in the books.

This thread has been super fun and helpful these past few years and 2021 should bring some exciting changes to ORD and MDW to share, and hopefully we can progress back to a brighter future.

In the meantime, CDA posted Oct data... hopefully it can only get better from here!

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... ary%20.pdf

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... ummary.pdf

tphuang

Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:38 pm

For those that know better, does JetBlue have access to more than 1 gate at it's current location in ORD? I was doing my route predictions for 2021 and see that they would need at least a second gate if they want to add service to EWR and RDU.

kd9gy

Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:44 pm

Will the People Mover return to service in 2021? Get your Crystal Ball out for the prediction!

ILikeTrains

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:02 pm

I’m most excited for Southwests setup in Terminal 5.

x1234

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:27 pm

What's the ETA for the train to be running again? It takes forever with the buses for domestic-><-international connections.

kbmiflyer

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:28 pm

kd9gy wrote:
Will the People Mover return to service in 2021? Get your Crystal Ball out for the prediction!

It is funny, that was my first thought also. It will be two years down next week, original plan was 9 - 10months.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

"The “people mover” light rail system, which shuttles passengers around O’Hare International Airport, will shut down completely next week and not reopen until the fall of 2019, airport officials said."

ORDfan

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:37 pm

ILikeTrains wrote:

Oh no, I didn't realize they were going into T5. I don't like that all.... T5 has aged really well, in part, due to the reduced frequency of turnarounds owing to long-hauls.

I realize that has changed over the past few years with so many new foreign flags coming at all hours plus the addition of Frontier, but I can't help but think that the increased churn from SW will add a lot more stress on T5 than it can reasonably accommodate.

I'm surprised the city couldn't stick them somewhere inside T2.

kbmiflyer

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:51 pm

ORDfan wrote:

There really isn't any room in T2, DL and UA Express keep the gates pretty busy. It also meets with the long term plan to move all domestic airlines not named United and American to T5.

ILikeTrains

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:26 pm

ORDfan wrote:
ILikeTrains wrote:

Oh no, I didn't realize they were going into T5. I don't like that all.... T5 has aged really well, in part, due to the reduced frequency of turnarounds owing to long-hauls.

I realize that has changed over the past few years with so many new foreign flags coming at all hours plus the addition of Frontier, but I can't help but think that the increased churn from SW will add a lot more stress on T5 than it can reasonably accommodate.

Realistically, its going to be a fairly small operation. Shouldn’t effect the flow of things too badly. In a perfect world I’d love to see them have their own terminal! But I also live in the NW suburbs, and loathe flying AA or UA.

chicawgo

Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:26 am

ORDfan wrote:
ILikeTrains wrote:

The minimal number of flights won’t make a difference in wear and tear. I predict that they will do very well and expand at ORD. it’s probably some of the most unserved demand from n the entire country. Millions of people live in north and west suburbs and want to fly WN but distance to MDW is just too much. I dealt with it my entire childhood. My dad always saying “for $30 it’s not worth schlepping all the way to midway.”

jplatts

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm

chicawgo wrote:
The minimal number of flights won’t make a difference in wear and tear. I predict that they will do very well and expand at ORD. it’s probably some of the most unserved demand from n the entire country. Millions of people live in north and west suburbs and want to fly WN but distance to MDW is just too much. I dealt with it my entire childhood. My dad always saying “for $30 it’s not worth schlepping all the way to midway.”

There are still more nonstop routes that could be added by WN out of ORD such as ORD-ATL/HOU/LAS/STL with
(a) ATL, HOU, LAS, STL being 4 of the top destinations traveled to from MDW on WN in 2019,
(b) WN being able to offer connections to other destinations through ATL, HOU, LAS, and STL, and
(c) WN already having a FF base in Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, St. Louis, and other markets to support ORD-ATL/HOU/LAS/STL nonstop service.

jcwr56

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:53 pm

tphuang wrote:
For those that know better, does JetBlue have access to more than 1 gate at it's current location in ORD? I was doing my route predictions for 2021 and see that they would need at least a second gate if they want to add service to EWR and RDU.

Two ways to add flights for JetBlue with only one preferential gate to work with. Submit for a common use gate or approach another preferential carrier to accommodate them on their gates. In this instance, Alaska at G4 and G6 would be the ideal candidate. Otherwise it would be at Terminal 5. I don't see UA or AA voluntarily accommodating them.

jcwr56

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:58 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

There really isn't any room in T2, DL and UA Express keep the gates pretty busy. It also meets with the long term plan to move all domestic airlines not named United and American to T5.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a mechanism to move carriers around under the new lease. There will also be 3 domestic common use gates at T2 and in T3 in 2022.

elbandgeek

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 pm

LagosLen

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:10 am

x1234 wrote:
What's the ETA for the train to be running again? It takes forever with the buses for domestic-><-international connections.

What a mess. Prior to the pandemic, I know I wasn't the only one who no longer elected to use ORD for international-to-domestic connections after a bad experience nearly missing my connection despite ample time.

dopplerd

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:46 am

Last week a chunk of metal fell from ATS track to the ground. It will still be more time.

jcwr56

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:49 pm

ORDfan

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm

I saw the ATS running today while on Manheim. What's notable is I saw quite a few people onboard... I'm guessing they were possibly engineers or testing-related personnel? Or possibly people trying to simulate weight distribution?

Planeboy17

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:36 am

Has anyone heard any news about the Air India introductory HYD-ORD flight on Friday?

United787

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:14 am

Are there any construction photos of the T5 Expansion?

jcwr56

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 pm

United787 wrote:

I'm not sure if Austin Powers Partners have anything up on their website, but I can tell you steel is going up quickly on the Headhouse expansion between M7-M12, and on the east side, the 2nd ramp tower is about half way up with additional steel beams being set around the ComEd vault and tie in to the building have started.

sircygnus

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:27 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
United787 wrote:

I'm not sure if Austin Powers Partners have anything up on their website, but I can tell you steel is going up quickly on the Headhouse expansion between M7-M12, and on the east side, the 2nd ramp tower is about half way up with additional steel beams being set around the ComEd vault and tie in to the building have started.

Will the T5 expansion also included a second FIS area on the newly constructed east side, or will international arriving passengers to the new gates still need to hike it west to the existing FIS?
Perhaps the new gates will be eventually geared more for domestic flights?

dtw2hyd

Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
Has anyone heard any news about the Air India introductory HYD-ORD flight on Friday?

AI107 on its way back to ORD.
https://www.flightradar24.com/AIC107/2693899b

ORD-HYD AI108 started from 1/13
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 8#2690de26

Based on this video, both flights had 95% load, J was full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BseYXzORYU

elbandgeek

Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:47 pm

sircygnus wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
United787 wrote:

Will the T5 expansion also included a second FIS area on the newly constructed east side, or will international arriving passengers to the new gates still need to hike it west to the existing FIS?

I can't speak for additional FIS but the new gates will most definitely be for international as the current low M wing is supposed to be reconfigured for narrowbodies.

jcwr56

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:45 pm

sircygnus wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
United787 wrote:

No to the 2nd FIS, that will be located at the OGT once it's eventually built. So any international flights will need to talk towards the middle of the building.

Planeboy17

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:

Thanks for the encouraging info.
I obviously hope this flight is a success but for my own selfish reason for photography I hope this flight lasts at least into April so I can catch in sunlight.

mjba257

Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:43 pm

My predictions for ORD in the next 5 years:
- The expansion will be put on hold until demand increases to pre-COVID levels
- UA will add an ORD-ICN flight with OZ leaving *A
- UA adds more deep Latin flights like GIG, EZE, LIM, SCL. Currently, the only deep Latin route on UA is ORD-GRU
- UA adds a seasonal ORD-LIH flight, as Kauai is currently the only Hawaiian island not served nonstop from ORD
- A nonstop flight to Australia, either on QF or UA
- DL launches ORD-LAX as well as some leisure routes, like CUN, MCO, TPA
- WN continues to grow; remember, WN has large ops at both SJC and OAK, so it's not unforeseeable for them to have large ops at both MDW and ORD
- AA gets their crap together (fire Doug Parker) and makes a comeback at ORD. It's their only midwestern hub and a market that can't afford to be lost. Add more TATL flights as demand returns

jscottwomack

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:01 pm

mjba257 wrote:
- UA adds more deep Latin flights like GIG, EZE, LIM, SCL. Currently, the only deep Latin route on UA is ORD-GRU
- UA adds a seasonal ORD-LIH flight, as Kauai is currently the only Hawaiian island not served nonstop from ORD
- WN continues to grow; remember, WN has large ops at both SJC and OAK, so it's not unforeseeable for them to have large ops at both MDW and ORD
- AA gets their crap together (fire Doug Parker) and makes a comeback at ORD. It's their only midwestern hub and a market that can't afford to be lost. Add more TATL flights as demand returns

Disagree on Point 1: Hopefully they will be keep moving forward with Expansion. With Traffic down, they can get more done and finish on schedule. AA & UA will not have a problem closing a few gates to expedite work since the demand for gate space is no there at the moment.

The rest of your points I can go along with.

jayunited

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:02 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
kbmiflyer wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, there is a mechanism to move carriers around under the new lease. There will also be 3 domestic common use gates at T2 and in T3 in 2022.

Which gates in T2 and T3 are being converted to common use in 2022?

gabik001

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:15 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:

Do you guys think AI will operate that route on B77L all the time?

timberwolf24

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 pm

jscottwomack wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

Disagree on Point 1: Hopefully they will be keep moving forward with Expansion. With Traffic down, they can get more done and finish on schedule. AA & UA will not have a problem closing a few gates to expedite work since the demand for gate space is no there at the moment.

I agree with all the above and would add the following;

PR to MNL
SQ to SIN
AT to CMN
MS to CAI
JU to BEG
ORD becoming a focus city for DL. (Yes, you saw that right.)

Non Stop service to MAN,MXP,BUD,PRG and BOM.

mjba257

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
jscottwomack wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

PR to MNL
SQ to SIN
AT to CMN
MS to CAI
JU to BEG

Absolutely agree on that point. Chicago is a weak link in DL's network and always has been. I get it. UA is the hometown airline and AA has been there for decades, plus you have WN's largest base at MDW. And I never would expect DL to have a hub at ORD, with MSP and DTW so close, but definitely more P2P routes as the market so profitable. I could see DL adding LAX, PDX, DCA, LAS, MCO, TPA, FLL, CUN, etc.

Once DL moves into an expanded T5, they will have more gates to hopefully launch more routes

jayunited

Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:32 pm

mjba257 wrote:
Absolutely agree on that point. Chicago is a weak link in DL's network and always has been. I get it. UA is the hometown airline and AA has been there for decades, plus you have WN's largest base at MDW. And I never would expect DL to have a hub at ORD, with MSP and DTW so close, but definitely more P2P routes as the market so profitable. I could see DL adding LAX, PDX, DCA, LAS, MCO, TPA, FLL, CUN, etc.

Once DL moves into an expanded T5, they will have more gates to hopefully launch more routes

There is but one small problem when Delta moves to T5, T5 will still have the responsibility of handling all international arrivals at ORD until the current T2 is torn down and the new Global Terminal is built. Demolition on T2 doesn't begin until some point in 2023, meaning it is probably safe to assume airlines will be in full recovery mode by the time Delta moves to T5. Depending on how global travel recovers and how ORD recovers things could once again get a little tight at T5 even with the additional gates especially if WN really ramps up their operation. We are years away from seeing AA/One World and UA/Star move completely out of T5 which means it could still be years before Delta has the room to grow their operation at ORD.

Crosswind787

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:03 pm

My prediction for ORD in the next 5 years is:

-AA pulls it's hub and only flies p2p routes / to and from other hubs, with NK/F9picking up much of the domestic / caribbean flying and UA filling in on europe and some domestic routes

-the expansion continues so it's done when demand really returns

-DL eventually offering p2p high demand routes (LAX, MCO)

-UA grows ORD to over 800 flights a day (I would've said 1000 flights a day but covid keeps this number below 1000) I once talked to someone at ORD /UA who said if AA ever leaves UA would quickly snatch up their gates and routes and turn ORD into the UA equivalent of DL at ATL

-breeze starts flights

-WN expands ORD routes to MCO/RSW/TPA

dtw2hyd

Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:40 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
I obviously hope this flight is a success but for my own selfish reason for photography I hope this flight lasts at least into April so I can catch in sunlight.

gabik001 wrote:
Do you guys think AI will operate that route on B77L all the time?

Too many known and unknown variables to speculate anything.

jscottwomack

Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Crosswind787 wrote:

-AA pulls it's hub and only flies p2p routes / to and from other hubs, with NK/F9picking up much of the domestic / caribbean flying and UA filling in on europe and some domestic routes

-UA grows ORD to over 800 flights a day (I would've said 1000 flights a day but covid keeps this number below 1000) I once talked to someone at ORD /UA who said if AA ever leaves UA would quickly snatch up their gates and routes and turn ORD into the UA equivalent of DL at ATL

-breeze starts flights

Only way AA gives up ORD as a hub is if it goes out of business. Pulling out of ORD would be a huge mistake. Too much goes through that city. They might scale back a notch but letting go of a Hub?? Delta would give up MSP & DTW to have a hub in Chicago. It is that big of a city.

mjba257

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm

[quote="Crosswind787"]My prediction for ORD in the next 5 years is:

AA is never pulling out of ORD. It would be a catastrophic business mistake. It is their only midwestern hub. Plus a massive premium market. Where else are they gonna go to fill in the gap?

amtravels

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Better chance of AA going under than pulling their hub.

klm617

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm

jscottwomack wrote:
Crosswind787 wrote:

-breeze starts flights

Only way AA gives up ORD as a hub is if it goes out of business. Pulling out of ORD would be a huge mistake. Too much goes through that city. They might scale back a notch but letting go of a Hub?? Delta would give up MSP & DTW to have a hub in Chicago. It is that big of a city.

I have to disagree with this Delta likes to own it's core hubs there is no way they can do that at ORD. Remember they dehubbed DFW Delta owns the market in all four of it's core hubs. ATL, DTW, MSP and SLC and before the merger CVG.

flymco753

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 pm

klm617 wrote:
jscottwomack wrote:
Crosswind787 wrote:

-breeze starts flights

I have to disagree with this Delta likes to own it's core hubs there is no way they can do that at ORD. Remember they dehubbed DFW Delta owns the market in all four of it's core hubs. ATL, DTW, MSP and SLC and before the merger CVG.
Right, the brand recognition in MSP & DTW alone kill ORD's chances of ever having a sizeable Delta presence because of Northwest.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:36 pm

This trip report just came out...
Looks like it is the ONLY video on YouTube of flying Air Choice One from ORD to STL with stops in both Mason City and Fort Dodge.

This route ends on March 1 when SkyWest takes the EAS contract in both small cities.

https://youtu.be/eopZQZyNcyg

I feel like after seeing the video, neither city really needs a 50-seat jet twice daily to O’Hare. The waiting area in Mason City doesn’t even look big enough to handle that many passengers.

kd9gy

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:22 am

ANA 8549 left ORD on 27C this afternoon, and very shortly after takeoff had an engine problem. Circled north of ORD for a while, and then flew over Lake Michigan for an hour or so to dump fuel, and landed safely back on 22L. Never got above 6,000 feet. 777-3300ER on a normal, daily flight. Interesting monitoring of UAL's 131.4 (maintenance channel) - which ANA used to talk to their maintenance folks - all Japanese! Amazing how radio channels can be linked to their airline base of operations. While fun to monitor the entire time - simply another case of an inflight emergency handled with great professionalism and became a 'non event.'

gabik001

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am

kd9gy wrote:
ANA 8549 left ORD on 27C this afternoon, and very shortly after takeoff had an engine problem. Circled north of ORD for a while, and then flew over Lake Michigan for an hour or so to dump fuel, and landed safely back on 22L. Never got above 6,000 feet. 777-3300ER on a normal, daily flight. Interesting monitoring of UAL's 131.4 (maintenance channel) - which ANA used to talk to their maintenance folks - all Japanese! Amazing how radio channels can be linked to their airline base of operations. While fun to monitor the entire time - simply another case of an inflight emergency handled with great professionalism and became a 'non event.'

Actually ANA8549 departed from 28R. What was told they discovered heavy vibrations of No1 engine and possibly it was shut down. They were maintaining IAS around 200kts all the times. Few times accelerated to 250-280kts and once slowed to 160kts at 6000 feet! I was sitting and waiting for they arrival at GG once were vectored to 22L I just jump few feet closer to the fence. I think they were burning a fuel once they were on holding pattern near OBK navaid for about 30 mins so I doubt that they were dump fuel over Vernon Hills... Indeed they spent about an hour over Lake Michigan but they were flying slow so fuel consumption is relatively higher. Well, they had to burn/dump fuel for 12 hours flight so a lot of money vaporized...
I was alarmed by FR24 app when they set squawk 7700 for a while so I run immediately to the spot.

ORDfan

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:11 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
jscottwomack wrote:
mjba257 wrote:

PR to MNL
SQ to SIN
AT to CMN
MS to CAI
JU to BEG

Is this a wish-list or do you think some of these are seriously feasible in the next couple of years?

I know I've advocated for SQ to come back on this thread, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention PR to MNL on this thread. Would be so cool if it happens, but not gonna hold my breath on that one!

I do think QF will look to make Chicago happen (again) once we get back to some kind of normal. Terrible timing last year, of course.

ORDfan

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
This trip report just came out...
Looks like it is the ONLY video on YouTube of flying Air Choice One from ORD to STL with stops in both Mason City and Fort Dodge.

This route ends on March 1 when SkyWest takes the EAS contract in both small cities.

https://youtu.be/eopZQZyNcyg

I feel like after seeing the video, neither city really needs a 50-seat jet twice daily to O’Hare. The waiting area in Mason City doesn’t even look big enough to handle that many passengers.

Thanks for sharing this. I've always wondering where the ground gates are at ORD for those flights.

After flying at ORD for 30+ years, I've actually never set foot on the tarmac. Hopefully some day.

ORDfan

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 am

November CDA figures posted:

Can see the uptick in traffic as YTD % has stabilized. Cargo tonnages continue to impress.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... UMMARY.pdf

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... UMMARY.pdf

TSA125

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:22 am

Does NZ have plans to come back to ORD as of yet? They ran some cargo ops late last summer/fall if I recall.

Planeboy17

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:36 am

I know I've advocated for SQ to come back on this thread, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention PR to MNL on this thread. Would be so cool if it happens, but not gonna hold my breath on that one!

PR had publicly stated it was looking to add either SEA or ORD after they inaugurated YYZ service. I believe they chose SEA but I don’t think the service ever started due to you know what. I’m just basing this off memory but I’ll see if I can find some more information to accredit my remembrance.

Planeboy17

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:47 am

I don’t know how to post the info but just Google PR looking to add SEA or ORD and you’ll find the information. PR was to begin a 3 a week service to SEA in May of 20. Who knows what the future will bring but I think it’s not too far from reality that you’ll see the PR tail at T5 in the near future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos