Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phllax

Re: Kansas City Aviation Thread - 2021

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 am

What are the “seasonal” dates of AA’s CUN flights? Was looking over holidays, and nothing is showing.

pmanni1

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:30 am

phllax wrote:
What are the “seasonal” dates of AA’s CUN flights? Was looking over holidays, and nothing is showing.

Starting Dec 18. Saturdays only.

tsra

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:08 pm

I would love to see JetSuite X use the Downtown Airport as a place to fly from. I live across the river from the downtown airport with 30,000 of my closest friends downtown that would love to fly the "X" too. With operations at DAL, does anyone think this will happen?

acecrackshot

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

tsra wrote:
I would love to see JetSuite X use the Downtown Airport as a place to fly from. I live across the river from the downtown airport with 30,000 of my closest friends downtown that would love to fly the "X" too. With operations at DAL, does anyone think this will happen?

Depends on what the paying load would be. I think the three cities that would be most likely are Dallas, Chicago and DC, from a business traveller standpoint.

MCI-AUS was always an oddly high yielding city pair. Whenever anyone does it direct, WN usually tries to spike it.

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:58 pm

How is the new construction coming along? Can’t wait for the new look
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

KCaviator

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:47 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

I don’t know where they’re at specifically on the timeline, but I can tell you the terminal definitely makes a statement driving up. It’s going to be absolutely beautiful with the glass jet bridges. The new terminal isn’t going to be as convenient as the current, but it’s going to be leap years better in literally every other aspect.

Jshank83

Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:12 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

I saw an article recently that said halfway point.

blhp68

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:34 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

They just did a media run celebrating the halfway mark. Here is a good time lapse video: https://youtu.be/KduQmTux_ho

joeljack

Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Could we see Breeze or Avelo at downtown airport? I think there is a ton of untapped opportunity at the downtown airport for business markets where nobody wants to drive all the way to KCI when just doing an out and back same day business trip.

RJNUT

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 pm

joeljack wrote:
Could we see Breeze or Avelo at downtown airport? I think there is a ton of untapped opportunity at the downtown airport for business markets where nobody wants to drive all the way to KCI when just doing an out and back same day business trip.

i believe city ordinance does not allow anything commercial with over 30 seats. Sort of like our own Wright Amendment that protects interests and investments at MCI

tsra

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:25 pm

joeljack wrote:

I certainly would love it! There is a lot of disposable income with all of us that live downtown that, given the right destination, would literally walk to get onto an airplane... OK, maybe take an Uber instead. I would guess a Friday evening LAS with a return on Sunday would do very well.

Beyond downtown, all the major highways converge at MKC such that most places in the metro are 20 minutes or less from the airport. I would guess people to the East in Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and Independence or to the South in Grandview and Belton would enjoy MKC. Heck, those in Mission Hills, Prairie Village, and Overland Park would enjoy just as much as well.

ChrisPBacon

Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:17 pm

joeljack wrote:

Business travel? Business travel is currently flatlined. Not saying it's dead, but every move every major US airline is making these days is geared toward leisure travel, not business travel. Breeze and Avelo have business models built on serving leisure markets, not business travel.

NolaMD88fan

Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:00 pm

Looking forward to checking out the new terminal when it's completed. Coming along nicely based on the time-lapse video.

trexel94

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm

It’s finally happening! B6 announces MCI with service to both BOS & JFK starting 2Q 2022. I’ve been waiting for this day since 2003 when B6 first publicly announced interest in servicing MCI. Congrats to all involved in making this happen.

https://eturbonews.com/2993927/jetblue- ... t-service/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kmbc.c ... 2/36188321

727tiger

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:30 pm

Very much looking forward to seeing B6 tails over the house on short final to 27 or climbing out from 09.

KCaviator

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 pm

trexel94 wrote:
It’s finally happening! B6 announces MCI with service to both BOS & JFK starting 2Q 2022. I’ve been waiting for this day since 2003 when B6 first publicly announced interest in servicing MCI. Congrats to all involved in making this happen.

Finally. Finally. Finally. Will be great seeing them around the new terminal.

The JFK route is huge for international traffic, and BOS will be nice competition to DL (if DL ever resumes MCI-BOS).

RJNUT

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 pm

KCaviator wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

Finally. Finally. Finally. Will be great seeing them around the new terminal.

The JFK route is huge for international traffic, and BOS will be nice competition to DL (if DL ever resumes MCI-BOS).

their is considerable International traffic to feed at BOS as well as B6 has agreements with so many carriers there like QR, EI,FI,EK,etc.

evank516

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:55 pm

Very, very, very positive news to see B6 heading to Kansas City, and they're doing it before STL too!

First things first is when AA resumes LGA-MCI in September, then B6 will head in probably about 6-8 months later. Will be nice to see mainline jets on an NYC route again other than the single unreliable WN flight.

jplatts

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 pm

evank516 wrote:
First things first is when AA resumes LGA-MCI in September, then B6 will head in probably about 6-8 months later. Will be nice to see mainline jets on an NYC route again other than the single unreliable WN flight.

AA re-adding MCI-LAX nonstop service might be a possibility once demand recovers with LAX being the only remaining AA hub city that AA doesn't serve nonstop from MCI once AA resumes MCI-LGA nonstop service.

stl07

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 pm

evank516 wrote:
Very, very, very positive news to see B6 heading to Kansas City, and they're doing it before STL too!

With the new codeshare and BOS AA flights that were just announced at STL, I don't think they will even come to STL
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

evank516

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:46 pm

stl07 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

With the new codeshare and BOS AA flights that were just announced at STL, I don't think they will even come to STL

Not sure. AA is re-launching LGA-MCI and B6 is coming in afterwards. I don't see why they wouldn't go to STL at some point.

Cactus739

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:16 am

While it’s good to see the announcement..... Q2 of 2022 is a long ways off ...... a lot can and will happen in that time.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

jplatts

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:19 am

WN or G4 adding MCI-SAV nonstop service is a possibility with MCI being the biggest Midwestern market without any nonstop service to SAV, whereas most of the other major Midwestern markets have nonstop service to SAV on at least a seasonal basis.

pmanni1

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:49 am

evank516 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Not sure. AA is re-launching LGA-MCI and B6 is coming in afterwards. I don't see why they wouldn't go to STL at some point.

STL airport director said that with AA launching 2 daily mainline STL-BOS that it's unlikely B6 will do STL. It's one or the other. She did understand that B6 MCI-BOS will be just 1 daily.

tphuang

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:54 am

pmanni1 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

STL airport director said that with AA launching 2 daily mainline STL-BOS that it's unlikely B6 will do STL. It's one or the other. She did understand that B6 MCI-BOS will be just 1 daily.

STL will get added soon enough. Might not be in the next year, but in the next 2 or 3 years, for sure. The odds of AA flopping on a lot of their recent announcements is pretty high. B6 cannot become the top dog at BOS by avoiding medium sized markets.

onwFan

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 pm

tphuang wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

STL will get added soon enough. Might not be in the next year, but in the next 2 or 3 years, for sure. The odds of AA flopping on a lot of their recent announcements is pretty high. B6 cannot become the top dog at BOS by avoiding medium sized markets.

You keep saying B6 will finally takeover all the routes. But do you realize that the slots at LGA and JFK are just getting leased between each other? All this growth can exist only as long as the partnership is in place, unless you also want to decipher that AA is going to sell all these slots to B6 down the line..

tphuang

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:51 pm

onwFan wrote:
tphuang wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

You keep saying B6 will finally takeover all the routes. But do you realize that the slots at LGA and JFK are just getting leased between each other? All this growth can exist only as long as the partnership is in place, unless you also want to decipher that AA is going to sell all these slots to B6 down the line..

It's not a slot swap. B6 is getting more slots at both airport. That's what b6 has been telling it's crew members. B6 is already operating a full schedule this summer at jfk and it's adding more cities for next summer. Whether b6 will take over bos stl is a different story.

just because aa is operating on bos stl, does not mean b6 will not add stl. B6 is going to slowly add all the missing dots in the middle of the country.

onwFan

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
onwFan wrote:
tphuang wrote:

It's not a slot swap. B6 is getting more slots at both airport. That's what b6 has been telling it's crew members. B6 is already operating a full schedule this summer at jfk and it's adding more cities for next summer. Whether b6 will take over bos stl is a different story.

just because aa is operating on bos stl, does not mean b6 will not add stl. B6 is going to slowly add all the missing dots in the middle of the country.

All we know is per the NE alliance filing, according to which AA is not handing over or selling B6 any slots - it was just lease. If the end goal is for B6 to take over all the routes, they didn't need any alliance... Either way, there are no slots available at either LGA or JFK for B6 to sustain all the new routes on its own without AA providing them.

I didn't say B6 will not launch STL or anything - a mass takeover of AA routes by B6 like you suggest doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

tphuang

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:55 pm

onwFan wrote:
tphuang wrote:
onwFan wrote:

All we know is per the NE alliance filing, according to which AA is not handing over or selling B6 any slots - it was just lease. If the end goal is for B6 to take over all the routes, they didn't need any alliance...

I'm assuming it will be a lease at both LGA and JFK. I don't know if B6 will take over all the routes. But they have stated goal of where they want to build JFK and BOS to. It would be hard to get to that position without adding more of these medium sized markets in the middle of the country. Maybe if AA keeps flying these BOS routes, B6 will just add JFK or FLL to these markets. We are past stage where JetBlue will only enter a market to support its Boston operation.

Regardless, JetBlue cannot rely on AA to do all its flying to the midwest if it wants to be taken seriously as a carrier.

LASVegan

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:19 pm

https://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/new ... fault.aspx

Quite a few good adds for MCI. Looks like this will bring NK up to 9-10 daily departures from Kansas City.

evank516

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:39 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say MCI will see 2x JFK in addition to the 1x BOS. Other BOS bound traffic can also connect at JFK, and competition is heavier from NY than BOS.

trexel94

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm

evank516 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say MCI will see 2x JFK in addition to the 1x BOS. Other BOS bound traffic can also connect at JFK, and competition is heavier from NY than BOS.

I could also see B6 adding at least FLL if anything for connections to Latin America but MCO is too crowded. However I’m surprised no one has brought up SJU as it’s a B6 focus city and one of the largest unserved leisure destinations from MCI. Seems like a slam dunk.

Speaking of Florida, according to the WN schedule thread, WN appears to be planning service to the following: SNA, MIA, VPS and SRQ. I haven’t seen an official announcement yet so stay tuned but I’m annoyed in spite of the flurry of Florida adds we still don’t have JAX.

Now that we have B6 in the bag, who could be the next carrier? As far as domestic (aside from Breeze and Avelo) it’s just Sun Country and Hawaiian. Sun Country doesn’t seem to bring anything to the table but can HA’s A321neo make the trip? We’re one of the largest unserved markets for Hawaii.

International I don’t see happening until the new terminal opens but I suppose FI could come back with their MAX this time around.

TWA302

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:49 pm

trexel94 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:

I could also see B6 adding at least FLL if anything for connections to Latin America but MCO is too crowded. However I’m surprised no one has brought up SJU as it’s a B6 focus city and one of the largest unserved leisure destinations from MCI. Seems like a slam dunk.

Speaking of Florida, according to the WN schedule thread, WN appears to be planning service to the following: SNA, MIA, VPS and SRQ. I haven’t seen an official announcement yet so stay tuned but I’m annoyed in spite of the flurry of Florida adds we still don’t have JAX.

Now that we have B6 in the bag, who could be the next carrier? As far as domestic (aside from Breeze and Avelo) it’s just Sun Country and Hawaiian. Sun Country doesn’t seem to bring anything to the table but can HA’s A321neo make the trip? We’re one of the largest unserved markets for Hawaii.

International I don’t see happening until the new terminal opens but I suppose FI could come back with their MAX this time around.

No chance that HA's 321s could make that trip without a fuel stop. SY's service at STL hasn't been bad at all. Nobody thought they would bring anything to the table but just another option. Flown them twice and really liked it. I feel your pain on Hawaii service. Since TW vanished, that was a great thing to have in STL.

jplatts

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 am

trexel94 wrote:

I had previously mentioned WN adding MCI-MIA nonstop service as a possibility with MCI being one of the top destinations traveled to from FLL on WN.

trexel94 wrote:

I am unsure if SY would be able to make MCI-MSP nonstop service work as WN only had load factors of 57.34% on MCI-MSP in 2019, and demand for MCI-MSP nonstop service is much weaker than was the case prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Most of the other markets that SY would be serving nonstop from MCI also already have nonstop service out of MCI on WN and at least one other airline.

The 737 MAX 7's successor will likely have enough range to reach Hawaii nonstop from MCI since MCI-HNL is 3894 miles long and since the published range of the 737 MAX 7 is 4430 miles compared to the published range of 3461 miles for the 737-700 and the published range of 2595 miles for the 737-300.

WN will probably have newer generation narrowbody aircraft (similar in size to the 737 MAX 7) that will be able to reach Hawaii nonstop from MCI in 10 to 20 years from now.

evank516

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:55 am

I would have said SY could make MSP work if it was operating the old model. Nowadays since it seems to be decentralizing it’s route network I’m not so sure.

Jshank83

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 am

jplatts wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

I had previously mentioned WN adding MCI-MIA nonstop service as a possibility with MCI being one of the top destinations traveled to from FLL on WN.

Congrats?

asaad11

Sun May 09, 2021 7:47 pm

Does anyone know gate layouts for each airline in the new terminal?

ashtonliberty

Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 pm

Amazon Air just started daily flights to LAL today, didn't see that coming!

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 75978.html

strangeplanes

Sat May 22, 2021 4:02 am

Tile and ceilings are being installed at the new terminal. KCRAG reporting that the Southwest is planning on moving to the new terminal in fall 2022. Previously, the terminal was expected to open March 2023.

trexel94

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Route updates.

- In an article from the Cincinnati Business Journal, it stated that DL is likely to resume CVG next year along with a few other cities that were initially cut.

- AA will launch 2x daily AUS starting 9/8 with an E175.

- WN will launch its first INT flight from MCI with CUN starting 11/13 along with bringing back LGA. There’s also been rumors that IND and BOS could come back as well.

Speaking of route resumptions, any chance FI could return now that the MAX is back in service?

jplatts

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 pm

trexel94 wrote:
- WN will launch its first INT flight from MCI with CUN starting 11/13 along with bringing back LGA. There’s also been rumors that IND and BOS could come back as well.

WN has added Sunday-only MCI-BOS nonstop service starting on 11/7/2021 in today's WN schedule extension.

trexel94

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:19 pm

jplatts wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

WN has added Sunday-only MCI-BOS nonstop service starting on 11/7/2021 in today's WN schedule extension.

Well that didn’t take them long to respond to B6. Wasn’t it cut before covid?

Jshank83

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 pm

trexel94 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

Well that didn’t take them long to respond to B6. Wasn’t it cut before covid?

Yes. It was cut pre covid.

jplatts

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:32 pm

AA re-adding MCI-LAX nonstop service is a possibility with MCI being one of the top markets that AA doesn't serve nonstop from LAX along with the recent adds made by AA out of MCI such as MCI-AUS and the return of MCI-LGA nonstop service.

Jshank83

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:54 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA re-adding MCI-LAX nonstop service is a possibility with MCI being one of the top markets that AA doesn't serve nonstop from LAX along with the recent adds made by AA out of MCI such as MCI-AUS and the return of MCI-LGA nonstop service.

I would guess already having 3 airlines on it makes it tough to be the 4th.

FlyingJhawk

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:24 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I do MCI-LAX-MCI every week and my company, and me personally, flies exclusively DL so I am really happy that the non-stop has returned and surprised how quickly it went from E175 to mainline. Both flights this week were pretty full. Wonder if AA coming into the route will cut in DL's load factor.

What I'd really like to see is MCI-SFO on DL. That will make my life a lot easier come November.

On a related note, the new terminal is coming along very nicely. Cannot wait until this opens up and what the whole airport will look like once the plow under Terminal B & C.

jplatts

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:40 pm

FlyingJhawk wrote:
What I'd really like to see is MCI-SFO on DL. That will make my life a lot easier come November.

I do not expect DL to add MCI-SFO nonstop service as DL only currently serves its ATL, DTW, LAX, MSP, JFK, SLC, and SEA hubs nonstop from SFO. CVG was also the only non-DL hub destination that DL was serving nonstop from SFO prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but DL was serving CVG nonstop from SFO due to the former DL CVG hub.

There are some adds other than the return of MCI-CVG nonstop service that could be made out of MCI on DL such as MCI-JFK/RDU nonstop service. DL also has plans to resume nonstop service to RDU from ORD, CVG, and IND in the Midwest, and DL also currently serves JFK nonstop from ORD, CVG, CLE, and IND in the Midwest in addition to its DTW and MSP hubs.

MCI is also the 2nd largest U.S. market after STL that currently doesn't have any nonstop service to JFK.

trexel94

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:27 pm

FlyingJhawk wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

AS once served SFO from MCI for a brief time with an e175 and seems to be in expansion mode, that could always resume. In addition, B6 has a focus operation at SFO so they could be an option at some point. However I otherwise concur. Another option besides UA’s exorbitant Ejet flights would be nice

trexel94

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:30 pm

ABQ will resume 11/20. MKE and RDU are still unaccounted for.

KCaviator

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Did MCI-IND come back?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos