Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SANFan

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread 2021

Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Is AS dropping PAE completely, at least for awhile? I knew they had only resumed a few destinations from PAE when the terminal reopened in August.

What is AS’s long-term plan for PAE? It’s an incredibly convenient and nice airport for many of us.

AS also needs to retime or add an additional PAE-LAX flight. Their pre-COVID schedule didn’t make connections with the QF, AA, LA, and FJ international flights out of LAX. If AS is committed to PAE then it would nice if their LAX flights actually made connections with their partner’s international flights and code shared with them.

Re-reading my comment about PAE, I realize I wasn't real clear. Let me include a chart of PAE service on AS this year:

city...r/t flts in Jan...r/t flts in Feb
PDX.........0......................0
GEG........0......................0
BOI..........0......................0 (Note: not sure if the BOI service ever started)
SFO.........0......................0
SJC.........0......................0
LAX.........0......................0
SNA........1.......................0
PSP.........1.......................1
SAN........1.......................0
LAS.........1.......................1
PHX........1.......................1

So my interpretation is that AS had decided to start to regrow PAE service in Jan 2021 by adding back service to SAN and SNA, which they did. But it hasn't gone well so both of those routes have been dropped again on the Feb sked (as of now anyway.) Service will continue to LAS, PSP & PHX.

Also IMO, I wouldn't expect AS to abandon PAE at all. As with most cities, the business component of travel from PAE is way down. Leisure travel to LAS, PHX and PSP has remained high enough to support those flights; I imagine AS had expected service to SAN and SNA to recover due to a leisure travel factor in those markets but it hasn't. At least AS tried. In time, perhaps in March (including Spring Break) I'm sure many (most?) of the cities formerly served by AS from Everett will see the return of service.

bb

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:24 am

SANFan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Is AS dropping PAE completely, at least for awhile? I knew they had only resumed a few destinations from PAE when the terminal reopened in August.

What is AS’s long-term plan for PAE? It’s an incredibly convenient and nice airport for many of us.

AS also needs to retime or add an additional PAE-LAX flight. Their pre-COVID schedule didn’t make connections with the QF, AA, LA, and FJ international flights out of LAX. If AS is committed to PAE then it would nice if their LAX flights actually made connections with their partner’s international flights and code shared with them.

Re-reading my comment about PAE, I realize I wasn't real clear. Let me include a chart of PAE service on AS this year:

BOI..........0......................0 (Note: not sure if the BOI service ever started)

So my interpretation is that AS had decided to start to regrow PAE service in Jan 2021 by adding back service to SAN and SNA, which they did. But it hasn't gone well so both of those routes have been dropped again on the Feb sked (as of now anyway.) Service will continue to LAS, PSP & PHX.

Also IMO, I wouldn't expect AS to abandon PAE at all. As with most cities, the business component of travel from PAE is way down. Leisure travel to LAS, PHX and PSP has remained high enough to support those flights; I imagine AS had expected service to SAN and SNA to recover due to a leisure travel factor in those markets but it hasn't. At least AS tried. In time, perhaps in March (including Spring Break) I'm sure many (most?) of the cities formerly served by AS from Everett will see the return of service.

bb

Remember that CA is now under a lockdown yet again...so I'm sure some loads are suffering again.

MAH4546

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:03 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

bb

Remember that CA is now under a lockdown yet again...so I'm sure some loads are suffering again.

I mean, its a "lockdown," in quotes. We're not actually locked down. Although, yes, I'm sure it's effecting travel, but probably more so inbound to California than Californians going in and out.

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:11 am

MAH4546 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I mean, its a "lockdown," in quotes. We're not actually locked down. Although, yes, I'm sure it's effecting travel, but probably more so inbound to California than Californians going in and out.

I agree. In addition to being the most challenging part of the year for travel, "lockdowns" and news of record infections/deaths from COVID isn't helping matters.

LAXBUR

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:31 am

SANFan wrote:
I will also mention that I did not yet have a close look at changes that may very well have occurred further out than February/ 1st half of March; since AS has been known to insert new routes into their future skeds without announcing them -- ever, or for weeks -- it's not impossible to expect that there might be some Easter Eggs hiding in plain sight somewhere down through the skeds later in 2021.

IMO, anybody looking for flights in February and much of March may now find and book them, still subject to change of course. At least the current skeds are much closer to the final version than they were yesterday.

bb

Looks like BOI/GEG-SAN goes temporarily mainline 1x daily each for the short term. I’m pretty sure this is the first Alaska mainline outside of BOI-SEA since the 90s.

sprxUSA

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:43 am

No the BOI-PAE never began. I know someone who has booked the flight in May, so at least they are still planning it LOL. Someday...

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:12 am

LAXBUR wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I will also mention that I did not yet have a close look at changes that may very well have occurred further out than February/ 1st half of March; since AS has been known to insert new routes into their future skeds without announcing them -- ever, or for weeks -- it's not impossible to expect that there might be some Easter Eggs hiding in plain sight somewhere down through the skeds later in 2021.

IMO, anybody looking for flights in February and much of March may now find and book them, still subject to change of course. At least the current skeds are much closer to the final version than they were yesterday.

bb

Looks like BOI/GEG-SAN goes temporarily mainline 1x daily each for the short term. I’m pretty sure this is the first Alaska mainline outside of BOI-SEA since the 90s.

I'm interest to see what kind of loads those flights will have (during pandemic).

SANFan

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm

LAXBUR wrote:

I'm just curious why you say "temporarily" and "for the short term"? Do you know something I don't? Both of these routes from SAN have seen double-daily EMJ service recently so these upgrades don't particularly surprise me.

To give flyers a choice of times once full traffic in the markets returns, I could see AS going back to 2X daily service but traffic could very well continue to support mainline operations on at least one of the flights...

bb

LAXBUR

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm

SANFan wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

I'm just curious why you say "temporarily" and "for the short term"? Do you know something I don't? Both of these routes from SAN have seen double-daily EMJ service recently so these upgrades don't particularly surprise me.

To give flyers a choice of times once full traffic in the markets returns, I could see AS going back to 2X daily service but traffic could very well continue to support mainline operations on at least one of the flights...

bb

They’re going from 2x Embraer to 1x mainline. Just look at the schedule. Eventually it goes back to 2x Embraer. Of course that could change again. No conspiracy theories or secret info.

LAXBUR

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I'm interest to see what kind of loads those flights will have (during pandemic).

I’ve had to fly a few times out of BOI and a lot of these flights leave in banks. Anecdotal experiences are that most of these flights have a handful of people on them. AS has actually been adding mainline to BOI during this. I assume to keep gates in Seattle. There definitely isn’t an actual need.

wedgetail737

Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:57 am

LAXBUR wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

I’ve had to fly a few times out of BOI and a lot of these flights leave in banks. Anecdotal experiences are that most of these flights have a handful of people on them. AS has actually been adding mainline to BOI during this. I assume to keep gates in Seattle. There definitely isn’t an actual need.

AS had flown mainline between SEA-BOI off and on during their history. I remember AS flying MD-80's between SEA-BOI.

ericm2031

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:04 am

SANFan wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

bb

There’s nowhere near the demand for mainline on the route right now. It is more than likely there just to keep crews and planes flying. AAG would probably put E175s on 95% of its routes if it had the planes.

JayWings

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Any news so far on Alaska receiving its first Max today?

gmcc

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 pm

JayWings wrote:

It completed a test flight a few days back but nothing else seems to be scheduled

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N913AK.

JayWings

Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:32 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
gmcc wrote:
JayWings wrote:

It completed a test flight a few days back but nothing else seems to be scheduled

Thanks for the information! Hoping they’re able to take delivery soon!

gmcc

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:09 pm

JayWings wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
gmcc wrote:
JayWings wrote:

Probably should have added that it might not be the first one they get. However, t is the earliest registration and as far is I can tell the only one that had done any recent flying.

GSPSPOT

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:25 am

Apropos of nothing, I was impressed at how long into the pandemic that MKE kept mainline AS service, but noticed recently that we're back to the Skywest 175s again. Something is better than nothing I suppose.

AC4500

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:39 pm

A Horizon E175 has recently flown SEA-BNA-PDX-BNA, and I presume it'll head back to Seattle sometime soon. Does anyone have any idea what these flights to/from BNA are for? Given the 99XX flight numbers, they're clearly not carrying revenue passengers.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QXE ... /KSEA/KBNA
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QXE ... /KBNA/KPDX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QXE ... /KPDX/KBNA

ANA787

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:44 pm

AC4500 wrote:
A Horizon E175 has recently flown SEA-BNA-PDX-BNA, and I presume it'll head back to Seattle sometime soon. Does anyone have any idea what these flights to/from BNA are for? Given the 99XX flight numbers, they're clearly not carrying revenue passengers.

Future PDX-BNA route on the E175? ;)

gmcc

Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:54 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Maintenance on the 175 is performed at BNA by Embraer.

https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug ... orizon-air

AC4500

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm

gmcc wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Maintenance on the 175 is performed at BNA by Embraer.

https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug ... orizon-air

Thanks, that makes sense.

AC4500

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:01 pm

ANA787 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Future PDX-BNA route on the E175? ;)

That would be cool! Although I don't think an E175 can fly that far with a full passenger/cargo load.

msp747

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Did AS ever have any mainline service outside of SEA from BOI? I can't remember any other destinations. In the 80s/90s, I know a majority of flights to SEA were mainline, but I feel like QX covered everything else. By the mid to late 90s, QX handled everything.

wedgetail737

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 pm

msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Did AS ever have any mainline service outside of SEA from BOI? I can't remember any other destinations. In the 80s/90s, I know a majority of flights to SEA were mainline, but I feel like QX covered everything else. By the mid to late 90s, QX handled everything.

Maybe a couple of attempts out of PDX, but QX did most of it, even with their trials out of OAK/SJC with F28's back in the day.

LAXBUR

Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:43 pm

msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I am fairly certain Alaska at least for a short time in the early 90s flew did BOI-LAX.

They’ve added another jetbridge to the C concourse. I’m not sure if it is being used. It seems like a tight fit for mainline so I’m guessing it is for regional jets. When passenger numbers return Alaska will definitely want the A concourse built. Even with low passenger numbers the morning departure bank is pretty chaotic for a small airport.

msp747

Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

I am fairly certain Alaska at least for a short time in the early 90s flew did BOI-LAX.

They’ve added another jetbridge to the C concourse. I’m not sure if it is being used. It seems like a tight fit for mainline so I’m guessing it is for regional jets. When passenger numbers return Alaska will definitely want the A concourse built. Even with low passenger numbers the morning departure bank is pretty chaotic for a small airport.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure BOI has AS in mind with the future Concourse A. With a lot of the Q400s going away, it makes sense to move to a traditional concourse. C was designed for QX when it was all CRJ 700/Q400. It's a much nicer setup than what QX had in Boise in the 90s, but doesn't work with the 737s and seems like a step down for the E175s, considering all of their competitors at BOI use traditional gates. Hopefully the city doesn't delay their expansion plans too long.

LAXBUR

Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:43 pm

msp747 wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure BOI has AS in mind with the future Concourse A. With a lot of the Q400s going away, it makes sense to move to a traditional concourse. C was designed for QX when it was all CRJ 700/Q400. It's a much nicer setup than what QX had in Boise in the 90s, but doesn't work with the 737s and seems like a step down for the E175s, considering all of their competitors at BOI use traditional gates. Hopefully the city doesn't delay their expansion plans too long.

I think over time we may see some upgauging that will require more jet bridges. I don’t really know what other destinations Alaska can add from BOI. I think within five years BOI may be able to sustain Hawaii flights at least seasonally. Not sure if Alaska’s MAX’s can do that.

Tack

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:51 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed at length before, but now that AS will be joining OneWorld, it seems prominent to bring this up again:

Will AS eventually add nonstop flights to Miami (MIA)?

I realize that FLL seems to be the current Miami-area airport that leisure passengers flock to, but it would certainly give Pacific North-westerners much easier access to the Caribbean and South America, although I suppose many of these connections can be achieved through DFW. That being said, it still seems natural for AS to supplement their own nonstop flight with AA's current SEA-MIA flight and maybe we could even finally see PDX-MIA happen as well.

I'm not suggesting that AS move their current FLL route network over to MIA; in fact, I think AS can easily coexist in both MIA and FLL at the same time.

It would also be interesting to see AS begin CLT nonstop flights as well...

Been there done that. MIA has too high fees with too much competition. AS moved the operation from MIA to FLL a number of years ago.

MIA's fees are relatively not high anymore. They have stayed relatively flat while other airports, including FLL, have seen costs sky rocket due to capital improvement project costs.

AS just addressed MIA to employees. FLL is still only 1/3 of the Cost Per Enplanement than MIA. They stated that most of the Latin America connections from the West Coast are covered via DFW. AS has interest in MIA, but they have no idea on when they think the right time to re-enter that market, revenue wise, will be.

pranav7478

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:27 am

JayWings wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
gmcc wrote:
JayWings wrote:

does anyone know whether alaska took the safety options for the max? i know boeing made one of them standard, but is alaska taking the second safety option? its free now so hopefully ;)

Tack

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 pm

pranav7478 wrote:
JayWings wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
gmcc wrote:

does anyone know whether alaska took the safety options for the max? i know boeing made one of them standard, but is alaska taking the second safety option? its free now so hopefully ;)

Yes, AS has all their MAX jets with the AoA features, the safety options you’re referencing.

AC4500

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:43 pm

Tack wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:

Been there done that. MIA has too high fees with too much competition. AS moved the operation from MIA to FLL a number of years ago.

MIA's fees are relatively not high anymore. They have stayed relatively flat while other airports, including FLL, have seen costs sky rocket due to capital improvement project costs.

AS just addressed MIA to employees. FLL is still only 1/3 of the Cost Per Enplanement than MIA. They stated that most of the Latin America connections from the West Coast are covered via DFW. AS has interest in MIA, but they have no idea on when they think the right time to re-enter that market, revenue wise, will be.

Thanks for the info. If cost per enplanement is significantly higher at MIA than at FLL, then I think AS is going to have to wait for business traffic to begin recovering before re-adding MIA. AS officially joining OneWorld will also help.

BoeingGuy

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Tack wrote:
pranav7478 wrote:
JayWings wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

Yes, AS has all their MAX jets with the AoA features, the safety options you’re referencing.

AS has the AOA Indication on the PFD now? It might have been made baseline. In the past only AA and DL wanted it on their Boeing models.

The AOA disagree light was always intended to be basic. There was a software error that unintentionally tied it to the AOA Indication option.

The AOA Indication isn’t a “safety feature”. The AOA Indication has little use. There are no procedures that require its use. Boeing traditionally maintained it only as a favor to AA and DL. At one time, if a customer wanted it on any model, the top Boeing Chief Pilot required the airline Chief Pilot to call him.

No denying Boeing made some huge mistakes, but this bit about Boeing making safety features priced options was complete fabrication by sensationalist media. Safety features are baseline to Boeing airplanes. Most are required by regulation.

MAH4546

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:18 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Tack wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Thanks for the info. If cost per enplanement is significantly higher at MIA than at FLL, then I think AS is going to have to wait for business traffic to begin recovering before re-adding MIA. AS officially joining OneWorld will also help.

Southwest and JetBlue launched Miami during the pandemic. That’s oversimplifying things. There’s more money in leisure traffic right now than business traffic.

AC4500

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:01 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Tack wrote:

Southwest and JetBlue launched Miami during the pandemic. That’s oversimplifying things. There’s more money in leisure traffic right now than business traffic.

WN and B6 have the advantage of launching shorter flights that are less expensive to operate and have higher O&D traffic since they have a strong east coast presence. AS doesn't really have that luxury since they are confined to the west coast. On the contrary, JetBlue's LAX-MIA flights appear to be an exception to that, but I'm not too confident that those flights will last for very long.

If I had to guess, I think AS would launch MIA around Oct/Nov 2021 with 2x daily LAX-MIA, 1x daily SEA-MIA and 1x daily SFO-MIA. Personally, I'd love to see PDX/SAN-MIA, but I think PDX/SAN-TPA would have to come first TBH.

AC4500

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:14 pm

AC4500 wrote:
PDX-PHX is at 4x daily in February. Haven't seen that for awhile... PDX-ANC resumes in February as well.

Something else I just noticed in last week's schedule update, PDX-PHX will be up to FIVE daily flights from March 2 to 17. (4x E175s and 1x 737) Obviously a lot can, and will change from now to then. But that's a lot more capacity on PDX-PHX than there was in 2019...

MAH4546

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:20 pm

AC4500 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

WN and B6 have the advantage of launching shorter flights that are less expensive to operate and have higher O&D traffic since they have a strong east coast presence. AS doesn't really have that luxury since they are confined to the west coast. On the contrary, JetBlue's LAX-MIA flights appear to be an exception to that, but I'm not too confident that those flights will last for very long.

If I had to guess, I think AS would launch MIA around Oct/Nov 2021 with 2x daily LAX-MIA, 1x daily SEA-MIA and 1x daily SFO-MIA. Personally, I'd love to see PDX/SAN-MIA, but I think PDX/SAN-TPA would have to come first TBH.

MIALAX will probably be their biggest hit out the gate thanks to Mint. Long overdue. And there’s strong premium leisure in the market that still exists right now. Look at all the premium lie flat seats AA sends on MIALAX compared to JFKLAX right now. AA is running 3-class between MIALAX and not JFKLAX.

MAH4546

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:23 pm

AC4500 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
PDX-PHX is at 4x daily in February. Haven't seen that for awhile... PDX-ANC resumes in February as well.

Something else I just noticed in last week's schedule update, PDX-PHX will be up to FIVE daily flights from March 2 to 17. (4x E175s and 1x 737) Obviously a lot can, and will change from now to then. But that's a lot more capacity on PDX-PHX than there was in 2019...

Leisure travel. As people shift to domestic vacations, areas like Phoenix are benefiting tremendously. Phoenix, Miami, Orlando, Key West, the Colorado ski airports - they are all seeing an significant upswing in domestic travel.

Tack

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:23 pm

AC4500 wrote:

I’d agree with that time table, not sure if they’d start that many flights. They stated that their OW entry and AA partnership will eventually put MIA back on the route map, and that their no. 1 offline mileage redemption route is MIA, so it’ll happen...sometime. Cheers.

Passedv1

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:02 am

BoeingGuy wrote:

The AOA Indication isn’t a “safety feature”. The AOA Indication has little use. There are no procedures that require its use. Boeing traditionally maintained it only as a favor to AA and DL. At one time, if a customer wanted it on any model, the top Boeing Chief Pilot required the airline Chief Pilot to call him.

Wow, you are really drinking that Boeing cool-aid. Alaska didn't pay Boeing to put the AoA on the PFD because the Captain has an indication on the HUD. FO's at Alaska are taught to bring up the FPV (Flight Path Vector) on the PFD so that they can have an indication of AoA...instructor's call it the "poor man's AoA indicator" in the schoolhouse. At Alaska, crews are taught to maintain the AoA needle at the 3 o'clock position during an airspeed unreliable emergency. So perhaps Boeing doesn't use AoA in its official training program, but that has not stopped its customers from using it when training their own pilots. Is the AoA indicator a safety feature...I don't know, is the airspeed indicator a "safety" feature? I will say this...I would trade the Compass for an AoA indicator.

As far as the anecdote about the chief pilot, it sounds like an urban legend to me. Why would Boeing care? If they didn't want airlines to have it they could just not offer it. The AoA indicator is just a setting in the software to turn the AoA indicator on or off. The sensors are there, the screens are there. It doesn't cost any more money to Boeing to have it turned on but they still charge the airlines. That money goes straight to the profit Boeing is making on the airplane. I would bet that if word got to upper management at Boeing that the chief pilot was calling customers and discouraging them from giving Boeing more money for options, I don't think that the chief pilot would be around very long.

BoeingGuy

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:55 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Wow, you are really drinking that Boeing cool-aid. Alaska didn't pay Boeing to put the AoA on the PFD because the Captain has an indication on the HUD. FO's at Alaska are taught to bring up the FPV (Flight Path Vector) on the PFD so that they can have an indication of AoA...instructor's call it the "poor man's AoA indicator" in the schoolhouse. At Alaska, crews are taught to maintain the AoA needle at the 3 o'clock position during an airspeed unreliable emergency. So perhaps Boeing doesn't use AoA in its official training program, but that has not stopped its customers from using it when training their own pilots. Is the AoA indicator a safety feature...I don't know, is the airspeed indicator a "safety" feature? I will say this...I would trade the Compass for an AoA indicator.

As far as the anecdote about the chief pilot, it sounds like an urban legend to me. Why would Boeing care? If they didn't want airlines to have it they could just not offer it. The AoA indicator is just a setting in the software to turn the AoA indicator on or off. The sensors are there, the screens are there. It doesn't cost any more money to Boeing to have it turned on but they still charge the airlines. That money goes straight to the profit Boeing is making on the airplane. I would bet that if word got to upper management at Boeing that the chief pilot was calling customers and discouraging them from giving Boeing more money for options, I don't think that the chief pilot would be around very long.

Yeah no. It’s not an urban legend. I probably know a bit more about what goes on at Boeing than you do. Oh yeah, and I’ve also personally spoken with that past Chief Pilot, so you really don’t know what you’re talking about in that regard.

It wasn’t even published in the Option Catalogs on most models. In other words, it was unadvertised on most models. The 787 and 777-9 don’t have it at all.

If the AOA indication is so valuable, then how come very few customers took it?

I’m also well familiar with the Airspeed Unreliable procedure. It tells you to fly a certain pitch and power setting, not AOA.

The only reason the Compass is still there is that it’s required by regulation.

Sound like you’ve been drinking some Kool-Aid. If you want to have an intelligent discussion on airplane features, then great. But you can loose the condescending insulting tone. Plus you were incorrect in your suppositions anyway.

gmcc

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:51 pm

First MAX delivery flight scheduled for Sunday Jan 24.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n913ak

pranav7478

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:38 pm

does alaska still have the inherited airbus orders from virgin america for the a320neo? since alaska likes the a321neo so much, is it possible they might convert all those to a321neo orders and keep them for a while?

USAirKid

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:38 pm

pranav7478 wrote:
does alaska still have the inherited airbus orders from virgin america for the a320neo? since alaska likes the a321neo so much, is it possible they might convert all those to a321neo orders and keep them for a while?

Yup, Per the Airbus January 2021 Orders, Deliveries, Operators Spreadsheet they have thirty orders for A320NEOs. I dunno if they'd be able to convert them to A321NEOs

pranav7478

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:11 am

USAirKid wrote:
pranav7478 wrote:

Yup, Per the Airbus January 2021 Orders, Deliveries, Operators Spreadsheet they have thirty orders for A320NEOs. I dunno if they'd be able to convert them to A321NEOs

interesting, that order has just been sitting there for a while. i wonder what they will eventually do with it (hoping for more a321neos ;))

chrisair

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:23 am

AC4500 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I saw that the other day and thought I typed SEA into the schedule. Very strange. Would prefer mainline, but either way that’s more flights than they’ve offered since I started flying to Phoenix in 2000.

AC4500

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:40 am

chrisair wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I saw that the other day and thought I typed SEA into the schedule. Very strange. Would prefer mainline, but either way that’s more flights than they’ve offered since I started flying to Phoenix in 2000.

Just a hunch, but I believe the extra 737 mainline PDX-PHX flight was recently added as a result of PDX-CUN getting axed at the end of February due to heavier COVID testing restrictions in Mexico.

Boiler905

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:10 pm

pranav7478 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
pranav7478 wrote:

interesting, that order has just been sitting there for a while. i wonder what they will eventually do with it (hoping for more a321neos ;))

I imagine AS is looking for someone else to take these Airbus orders off of their hands after their recent Boeing 737 MAX deal.

"The carrier now has orders for 68 737 Max 9s — seven more than the number of A319s and A320s it had at the beginning of 2020 — and options for another 52 jets. It has the flexibility to swap the Max 9 for either the smaller Max 8 or larger Max 10."

https://skift.com/2021/01/22/the-inside ... g-737-max/

brindabella

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:05 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Yeah no. It’s not an urban legend. I probably know a bit more about what goes on at Boeing than you do. Oh yeah, and I’ve also personally spoken with that past Chief Pilot, so you really don’t know what you’re talking about in that regard.

It wasn’t even published in the Option Catalogs on most models. In other words, it was unadvertised on most models. The 787 and 777-9 don’t have it at all.

If the AOA indication is so valuable, then how come very few customers took it?
[i]
I’m also well familiar with the Airspeed Unreliable procedure. It tells you to fly a certain pitch and power setting, not AOA. [/
i]

The only reason the Compass is still there is that it’s required by regulation.

Sound like you’ve been drinking some Kool-Aid. If you want to have an intelligent discussion on airplane features, then great. But you can loose the condescending insulting tone. Plus you were incorrect in your suppositions anyway.

Basic for any aeroplane.
Where did teaching AoA come in?

cheers

ATSS

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:28 pm

Looks like the first Max has completed the acceptance flight from BFI to SEA. Welcome to the fleet.

jbs2886

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:53 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
pranav7478 wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

I imagine AS is looking for someone else to take these Airbus orders off of their hands after their recent Boeing 737 MAX deal.

"The carrier now has orders for 68 737 Max 9s — seven more than the number of A319s and A320s it had at the beginning of 2020 — and options for another 52 jets. It has the flexibility to swap the Max 9 for either the smaller Max 8 or larger Max 10."

https://skift.com/2021/01/22/the-inside ... g-737-max/

Why are they looking for someone else? Every SEC filing with a fleet section mentions they can be cancelled without penalty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos