Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wedgetail737

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I flew the Q400 on several long-hauls like OAK-SEA, STS-SEA and RNO-SEA. I actually enjoyed the long-haulers.

AS had scheduled SEA-FAT on the Q400. It was tolerable with the generous pours of free beer.

I think AS’s longest Q400 flight was LAX-LAP. That was around 3 hours.

Oh that's true. On a Q400 flight between SEA-STS, the flight attendants provide 3 beverage services! I've always loved QX, especially back when they had F-28's and Dash 8-100's. It's too bad the service on the QX E-175's aren't the same as they are on the Q400's when it comes to free booze.

Boiler905

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:15 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
gmcc wrote:
While I understand SAN based flyers wanting competition on SAN-OAK route and I am sure AS has looked at it, I just don't see it as a money making route for AS. For WN you have a hub at OAK, a focus city at SAN and a 75% market share as opposed to a spoke at OAK and a focus city SAN for AS. At best AS might be able to get WN to make a little less money on the route while losing money on the route themselves. Maybe 2-3 years post pandemic they might try it but not until they are making money again.

Sadly...I agree. Otherwise, they would have started service on the route a long time ago.

Let's have some fun here. for some reason I'm quite opinionated about AS' network :D, AS is missing out on multiple opportunities: intra-Cal, Alaska flying, and a couple others.

Before beginning, and to be fair to AS, they had to try to make SFO work after the VX merger until pulling the plug on most of the SFO expansion routes. One could argue AS didn't invest enough time to allow those routes to mature more; radically growing in a major legacy hub is a long, slow process before success arrives. (eg WN in DEN) Furthermore, AS is drawing down SJC as already discussed here.

If AS doesn't think SFO worked, then what maybe could? Let's start with the obvious: Alaska.

AS is sitting by and letting other carriers grow the Alaska market instead. AS is hardly even trying to put up a fight in ANC or FAI. AS should be flying more ANC/FAI at least seasonally to more major metropolitan (even less than daily) areas (MSP, STL, SLC, DFW, BNA, BOS, etc).

SY starting MSP-FAI shows how AS is watching their opportunities slip away. Not to mention UA in FAI-DEN/ORD/(ANC) or AA in FAI-PHX/DFW

AS has at least announced ANC-DEN/LAS/SFO to begin summer '21, but Alaska is mostly leisure and leisure is one of the only forms of demand currently, this would seem like a lower risk worth taking.

Speaking of DEN & AS, DEN is another market AS has been unable (err, unwilling?) to try to penetrate until now with ANC. DEN is a top 10 market from their other strong points (SAN, BOI, Bay, Basin... yet no AS service)

So where to next for AS?

1. Intra-Cal, stop sitting on the sidelines and claiming to be so focused on Cali
2. Seasonal ANC & FAI flying
3. Become more relevant to DEN from besides just PDX/SEA
4. BOI

Thoughts? Agree/Disagree?

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:50 am

Boiler905 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
gmcc wrote:
While I understand SAN based flyers wanting competition on SAN-OAK route and I am sure AS has looked at it, I just don't see it as a money making route for AS. For WN you have a hub at OAK, a focus city at SAN and a 75% market share as opposed to a spoke at OAK and a focus city SAN for AS. At best AS might be able to get WN to make a little less money on the route while losing money on the route themselves. Maybe 2-3 years post pandemic they might try it but not until they are making money again.

Sadly...I agree. Otherwise, they would have started service on the route a long time ago.

Let's have some fun here. for some reason I'm quite opinionated about AS' network :D, AS is missing out on multiple opportunities: intra-Cal, Alaska flying, and a couple others.

Before beginning, and to be fair to AS, they had to try to make SFO work after the VX merger until pulling the plug on most of the SFO expansion routes. One could argue AS didn't invest enough time to allow those routes to mature more; radically growing in a major legacy hub is a long, slow process before success arrives. (eg WN in DEN) Furthermore, AS is drawing down SJC as already discussed here.

If AS doesn't think SFO worked, then what maybe could? Let's start with the obvious: Alaska.

AS is sitting by and letting other carriers grow the Alaska market instead. AS is hardly even trying to put up a fight in ANC or FAI. AS should be flying more ANC/FAI at least seasonally to more major metropolitan (even less than daily) areas (MSP, STL, SLC, DFW, BNA, BOS, etc).

SY starting MSP-FAI shows how AS is watching their opportunities slip away. Not to mention UA in FAI-DEN/ORD/(ANC) or AA in FAI-PHX/DFW

AS has at least announced ANC-DEN/LAS/SFO to begin summer '21, but Alaska is mostly leisure and leisure is one of the only forms of demand currently, this would seem like a lower risk worth taking.

Speaking of DEN & AS, DEN is another market AS has been unable (err, unwilling?) to try to penetrate until now with ANC. DEN is a top 10 market from their other strong points (SAN, BOI, Bay, Basin... yet no AS service)

So where to next for AS?

1. Intra-Cal, stop sitting on the sidelines and claiming to be so focused on Cali
4. BOI

I'd like to see AS actually hit more destinations out of SEA like bringing back COS, and maybe hit a few more midwest or more eastern cities like CLE or maybe JAX. But I'm glad to see AS hitting some of the CA "secondary" cities like SBP, SBA and they just inaugurated SEA-MRY. It would be nice, but perhaps unlikely, for AS to start service to BFL, SMX or SCK...or return to ACV.

Now, FAI isn't the metropolis people think it is. FAI isn't really an AS hub, but I think they're strong enough there. I think as the MAX's come online, maybe we'll see FAI-LAX or FAI-somewhere. I think AS represents ANC about as well as they can. I would be surprised to see SY on the MSP-ANC beyond the first summer season (prove me wrong). With AS joining OW, I hope to see ORD-ANC restart and maybe DFW-ANC with a MAX jet. I think SANFan would be tickled silly if AS started some sort of seasonal SAN-ANC.

Lastly, I think in a lot of intra-CA routes the E-175's can't compete the mainline likes of WN or UA...too much of a strong-hold.

I will be very interested to see how AS evolves post-pandemic.

32andBelow

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:56 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

So where to next for AS?

4. BOI

I'd like to see AS actually hit more destinations out of SEA like bringing back COS, and maybe hit a few more midwest or more eastern cities like CLE or maybe JAX. But I'm glad to see AS hitting some of the CA "secondary" cities like SBP, SBA and they just inaugurated SEA-MRY. It would be nice, but perhaps unlikely, for AS to start service to BFL, SMX or SCK...or return to ACV.

Now, FAI isn't the metropolis people think it is. FAI isn't really an AS hub, but I think they're strong enough there. I think as the MAX's come online, maybe we'll see FAI-LAX or FAI-somewhere. I think AS represents ANC about as well as they can. I would be surprised to see SY on the MSP-ANC beyond the first summer season (prove me wrong). With AS joining OW, I hope to see ORD-ANC restart and maybe DFW-ANC with a MAX jet. I think SANFan would be tickled silly if AS started some sort of seasonal SAN-ANC.

Lastly, I think in a lot of intra-CA routes the E-175's can't compete the mainline likes of WN or UA...too much of a strong-hold.

I think in Alaska they could do more with the e175. Why not faipdx or even something crazy like enasea or adqsea

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:07 am

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:

So where to next for AS?

4. BOI

I think in Alaska they could do more with the e175. Why not faipdx or even something crazy like enasea or adqsea

I think when the pandemic is under some sort of control, I think AS could support at PDX-FAI route on a 737 aircraft. I think they could also do a PDX-JNU using an E-175.

BoeingGuy

Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:20 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I think when the pandemic is under some sort of control, I think AS could support at PDX-FAI route on a 737 aircraft. I think they could also do a PDX-JNU using an E-175.

AS tried PDX-FAI seasonally several years ago, but didn’t bring it back. I wonder how the load factors were.

QXorVX

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Boiler905 wrote:

So where to next for AS?

4. BOI

It would be interesting to see if BOI can still hold its own like it did years ago as a QX hub. Working on assumptions only, I imagine they still have a strong following in the region. That being said, I'm not sure what the best adds would be, DEN? SLC? Salt Lake was added back in the first growth of that station, but it was a single daily Q4. Maybe a more robust schedule could hold its own against Delta.

Delta recently returned with ATL service - I wonder if enough of the types of connections they are serving with that market could be matched by AA to CLT. Obviously not AS service, but more OneWorld service to the airport should improve the position of both airlines.

Boiler905 wrote:

wedgetail737 wrote:

Assuming you meant MSP-FAI above ^

I think MSP-FAI says a lot more about SY than it does AS. It is Saturday only, which is the only kind of service I think an arguably O&D only flight could support and that is SY's specialty. AS can easily take that group of people via SEA. I think most of the fringe adds people would like to see from ANC (myself included) can be more practically served as a connection via SEA. The premium you get from non-stop service is tough to justify to take an aircraft for a good portion of the day when these cities are already part of AS's network. I think in order for AS to make non-stop service work there needs to be demand on both sides of the route, rather than just the leisure draw to Alaska. ANC-DEN coming back will be a good test of the viability of this kind of service.

SY's MSP-FAI is either a route that only exists due to the pandemic or one that would only work if there wasn't a pandemic - you choose!

QXorVX

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:18 pm

AC4500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
With the recent terminal expansion at IDA and AA’s newly-announced IDA-PHX/DFW routes, how likely would AS be to start a daily E175 on IDA-SEA?

I agree that AS adding IDA-SEA nonstop service using an E-175 might be a possibility with IDA being the largest market in Idaho without nonstop service to SEA and with AS already serving BOI and SUN in Idaho.

I had a similar thought, until the American announcement IDA was going to be part of a small club of US cities that would not have been served by a OneWorld airline.

In the last 10 or 15 years IDA-SEA was served twice on QX, first with a single daily Q4 non-stop. Then after a hiatus (I think I am remembering correctly) it was served as one-stop via BZN or SUN both ways before being ultimately cut. This was back when IDA-BOI was still in operation, so cutting SEA just meant passengers had to book via a BOI connection instead to remain on AS. So now it could go either way, with no more BOI service does that mean SEA has a stronger chance of some day returning or waker chance since AS has signaled it's disinterest in the city?

Along those lines the Q4 fleet is shrinking and while there are many E175s now in the operation, those aircraft serve a completely different network. Maybe if they still had loads of Q4s and needing reasonable places to fly them, but the jets add lots of cities to the potential list and I'm not sure IDA can measure up at this point compared to adding service from the hubs to mid-con destinations.

joeblow10

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:29 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

So where to next for AS?

4. BOI

I’m assuming you meant SY on MSP-*FAI* more than one season. Because they’ve been doing ANC for well over a decade now (IIRC there was a very brief period of time they dropped it when they went thru bankruptcy for the gazillionth time) and it’s consistently operated 2-3x daily over the years. I have no reason to believe that if they can operate ANC 3x daily at peak they can’t make FAI work a few times a week - with or without COVID

And DL is adding MSP-FAI too. They’ve got the added feed, no doubt, but I wouldn’t just assume it’s poor route planning when the big guy on the block adds it too.

Frankly - I’m surprised AS hasn’t tried MSP-ANC once daily or 3-4x weekly. MN to AK demand is virtually unlimited in the summer
Last edited by joeblow10 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itripreport

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:29 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I flew the Q400 on several long-hauls like OAK-SEA, STS-SEA and RNO-SEA. I actually enjoyed the long-haulers.

AS had scheduled SEA-FAT on the Q400. It was tolerable with the generous pours of free beer.

Wait, anyone got information as to when AS used to fly LAX-LAP on the Q400

sprxUSA

Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 pm

itripreport wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Wait, anyone got information as to when AS used to fly LAX-LAP on the Q400

Wiki says 2008- 4/2013

msp747

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:29 pm

QXorVX wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
With the recent terminal expansion at IDA and AA’s newly-announced IDA-PHX/DFW routes, how likely would AS be to start a daily E175 on IDA-SEA?

I agree that AS adding IDA-SEA nonstop service using an E-175 might be a possibility with IDA being the largest market in Idaho without nonstop service to SEA and with AS already serving BOI and SUN in Idaho.

I had a similar thought, until the American announcement IDA was going to be part of a small club of US cities that would not have been served by a OneWorld airline.

In the last 10 or 15 years IDA-SEA was served twice on QX, first with a single daily Q4 non-stop. Then after a hiatus (I think I am remembering correctly) it was served as one-stop via BZN or SUN both ways before being ultimately cut. This was back when IDA-BOI was still in operation, so cutting SEA just meant passengers had to book via a BOI connection instead to remain on AS. So now it could go either way, with no more BOI service does that mean SEA has a stronger chance of some day returning or waker chance since AS has signaled it's disinterest in the city?

Along those lines the Q4 fleet is shrinking and while there are many E175s now in the operation, those aircraft serve a completely different network. Maybe if they still had loads of Q4s and needing reasonable places to fly them, but the jets add lots of cities to the potential list and I'm not sure IDA can measure up at this point compared to adding service from the hubs to mid-con destinations.

The Q400 fleet has been holding steady for awhile now, so I don't think they'll disappear all that soon. And it still appears to be the plane of choice in the PNW. Of the 11 SEA-BOI flights today, 1 is an E175, 4 are 739, and 6 are Q400. Not saying IDA-SEA wouldn't work with an E175, but I'd bet it would start with a Q400 until the route proved to be a success.

LAXBUR

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:39 pm

QXorVX wrote:

It would be interesting to see if BOI can still hold its own like it did years ago as a QX hub. Working on assumptions only, I imagine they still have a strong following in the region. That being said, I'm not sure what the best adds would be, DEN? SLC? Salt Lake was added back in the first growth of that station, but it was a single daily Q4. Maybe a more robust schedule could hold its own against Delta.

Alaska has more seats to Boise than ever before. So while it may not be a connecting hub it really hasn’t shrunk. Their “post-COVID” schedule for the summer has about 33 flights a day with 6 mainline flights (all to SEA). Doubtful this will stick but that capacity is certainly higher than ever before.

I don’t really see any destination adds anytime soon. Perhaps SNA. Allegiant is catering to holiday folks but with all the OC “political refugees” in the Treasure Valley I’m sure this could work in the next few years.

They’ve done SLC and DEN in the past. I doubt those will come back anytime soon.

msp747

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:49 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
QXorVX wrote:

Alaska has more seats to Boise than ever before. So while it may not be a connecting hub it really hasn’t shrunk. Their “post-COVID” schedule for the summer has about 33 flights a day with 6 mainline flights (all to SEA). Doubtful this will stick but that capacity is certainly higher than ever before.

I don’t really see any destination adds anytime soon. Perhaps SNA. Allegiant is catering to holiday folks but with all the OC “political refugees” in the Treasure Valley I’m sure this could work in the next few years.

They’ve done SLC and DEN in the past. I doubt those will come back anytime soon.

Yeah, I agree that BOI won't see any new routes outside of CA for the foreseeable future. My money is on them adding/up-gauging flights on the routes they have. Personally, I'd like to see them add more to LAX, SFO, and SJC. I'd love it if they added SNA, but since those slots are so coveted, I'm not sure if it will happen. I'd also love to see more mainline service, but I don't see that happening until the city resumes its expansion plans at BOI and builds Concourse A.

SANFan

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:47 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think SANFan would be tickled silly if AS started some sort of seasonal SAN-ANC.

You're damned right he would be! LOL.

And you know what Wedgie', I'm thinking we're going to see such a flight at some point within perhaps the next summer or two. Now that AS has added (or re-started) the other recent routes from ANC to the lower 48, I can't help but believe that their SoCal focus city might very well be the next add from the carrier's Alaska (state) hub! I could see seasonal sub-daily service to start, and who knows what might be in the schedules eventually?

I also continue to think we will see AS start flying between SAN and LAX eventually (as has been discussed before.) That of course would connect SAN with all 5 of AS's official hubs (if the ANC flight is added.) The need for a OneWorld carrier between the 2 large SoCal cities (to replace AA) for revenue pax traffic, primarily connecting but with a few O&D folks, as well as all the non-revs that fly the route must be substantial. (I haven't checked lately but DL was expected to leave the market next month, leaving only UA!) It would also fit into AS's strategy to increase their intra-CA flying and visibility.

bb

AC4500

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I think SANFan would be tickled silly if AS started some sort of seasonal SAN-ANC.

And you know what Wedgie', I'm thinking we're going to see such a flight at some point within perhaps the next summer or two. Now that AS has added (or re-started) the other recent routes from ANC to the lower 48, I can't help but believe that their SoCal focus city might very well be the next add from the carrier's Alaska (state) hub! I could see seasonal sub-daily service to start, and who knows what might be in the schedules eventually?

I also continue to think we will see AS start flying between SAN and LAX eventually (as has been discussed before.) That of course would connect SAN with all 5 of AS's official hubs (if the ANC flight is added.) The need for a OneWorld carrier between the 2 large SoCal cities (to replace AA) for revenue pax traffic, primarily connecting but with a few O&D folks, as well as all the non-revs that fly the route must be substantial. (I haven't checked lately but DL was expected to leave the market next month, leaving only UA!) It would also fit into AS's strategy to increase their intra-CA flying and visibility.

bb

SAN-ANC is a matter of when, not if. In fact, I could probably see it running daily/year-round. With that being said, I think they would need to gauge how successful SFO-ANC would be first.

SANFan

Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:53 am

AC4500 wrote:
SAN-ANC is a matter of when, not if. In fact, I could probably see it running daily/year-round. With that being said, I think they would need to gauge how successful SFO-ANC would be first.

Which I think is exactly where AS is in the process right now -- well, as of Jun when SFO-ANC starts. (Although AS is certainly tracking booking numbers already since the route was first announced in mid-Dec.)

bb

Boiler905

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:20 am

msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
QXorVX wrote:

Yeah, I agree that BOI won't see any new routes outside of CA for the foreseeable future. My money is on them adding/up-gauging flights on the routes they have. Personally, I'd like to see them add more to LAX, SFO, and SJC. I'd love it if they added SNA, but since those slots are so coveted, I'm not sure if it will happen. I'd also love to see more mainline service, but I don't see that happening until the city resumes its expansion plans at BOI and builds Concourse A.

@LAXBUR, I think you're hitting the nail on the head. AS has been able to grow BOI to a higher level of seats. Is this therefore evidence that they should/can begin adding more routes seasonally to experiment? Summer BOI flying could be a good leisure play, BOI-ORD/STL/BNA/MSP/DFW/DEN etc

AS' SLC expansion was doomed from the start 1) reactive move to DL's SEA hub and 2) SLC was being flown on just spare aircraft time AS had in its network, leading to undesirable departure times

32andBelow

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 am

AC4500 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

bb

The problem with ANC west coast is they all overfly Seattle. So at a certain point you’d have to take capacity off ANCSEA and that would just make your network less robust for destinations from ANC that are not these select west coast cities. Peak 2X Lax 1X SEA. 1X PHX and 1X SAN is a lot of airplanes. These are long flights.

MAH4546

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:22 am

AC4500 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

bb

No way will it operate daily and year-round. AS doesn’t even operate LAXANC daily on a consistent basis, and LA is Anchorage’s third biggest local market after Seattle and Fairbanks with strong demand even in the winter. I don’t think the idea is crazy, but we are talking about 3-4w between Memorial and Labor Day.

I bet we see LAXFAI before SANANC.

AC4500

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:28 pm

32andBelow wrote:
The problem with ANC west coast is they all overfly Seattle. So at a certain point you’d have to take capacity off ANCSEA and that would just make your network less robust for destinations from ANC that are not these select west coast cities. Peak 2X Lax 1X SEA. 1X PHX and 1X SAN is a lot of airplanes. These are long flights.

That's a fair point. Once you have too many routes flying over your largest hub, you'll start to lose money. However, there's already so much capacity on SEA-ANC that I don't really know if it would make much of a difference.

MAH4546 wrote:
No way will it operate daily and year-round. AS doesn’t even operate LAXANC daily on a consistent basis, and LA is Anchorage’s third biggest local market after Seattle and Fairbanks with strong demand even in the winter. I don’t think the idea is crazy, but we are talking about 3-4w between Memorial and Labor Day.

I agree with LAX-FAI being first. I suppose PDX-FAI resuming would be more likely as well. Right now, AS is operating LAX-ANC 6x weekly which is probably quite a bit more than what the actual demand calls for at the moment.

I guess my point with SAN-ANC is that I couldn't see how it would perform any worse than LAS-ANC, which they've recently announced.

MAH4546

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm

AC4500 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

That's a fair point. Once you have too many routes flying over your largest hub, you'll start to lose money. However, there's already so much capacity on SEA-ANC that I don't really know if it would make much of a difference.

MAH4546 wrote:
No way will it operate daily and year-round. AS doesn’t even operate LAXANC daily on a consistent basis Hu, and LA is Anchorage’s third biggest local market after Seattle and Fairbanks with strong demand even in the winter. I don’t think the idea is crazy, but we are talking about 3-4w between Memorial and Labor Day.

I agree with LAX-FAI being first. I suppose PDX-FAI resuming would be more likely as well. Right now, AS is operating LAX-ANC 6x weekly which is probably quite a bit more than what the actual demand calls for at the moment.

I guess my point with SAN-ANC is that I couldn't see how it would perform any worse than LAS-ANC, which they've recently announced.

LASANC has significant outbound demand from Anchorage. Not an entirely new route for AS, has operated on and off for a bit.

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:57 pm

AS has tons of connectivity at SEA with ANC that I don't think loads would be too affected with a lot of the fly-overs. Also, the flights between ANC-LAX/SFO/PDX/PHX/LAS/DEN are 1X or 2X daily max...some not even daily. Plenty of people will continue to make connections through SEA.

32andBelow

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:45 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AS has tons of connectivity at SEA with ANC that I don't think loads would be too affected with a lot of the fly-overs. Also, the flights between ANC-LAX/SFO/PDX/PHX/LAS/DEN are 1X or 2X daily max...some not even daily. Plenty of people will continue to make connections through SEA.

I’m not following. 185 people ANCLAX are 185 people not connecting in SEA or PDX. so the route must be really strong to run it IMO.

I’d like to see more flights to PDX for connections and more flights to ORD with American connections because of your going east out of anchorage delta is the way to go as of now.

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:14 pm

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I’m not following. 185 people ANCLAX are 185 people not connecting in SEA or PDX. so the route must be really strong to run it IMO.

I’d like to see more flights to PDX for connections and more flights to ORD with American connections because of your going east out of anchorage delta is the way to go as of now.

I'm sure there are more than 185 people flying between LAX and ANC...maybe not on a daily basis. I'm sure AS takes these things into consideration when planning and acting on these flights. But AS also has the plethora of smaller communities along the West to connect in SEA for ANC. AS has many flights from the Midwest, East Coast and even Mexico to fill their 14 to 15 daily flights between SEA and ANC.

I think PDX-ANC is going to 2X daily later this year.

Can AS codeshare with AA through ORD as part of their anti-trust restrictions? I think AS only has 1 or 2 gates at ORD.

On a few of the SEA-DCA or DCA-SEA flights that I have flown on, I end up looking at all the bags that get loaded on those flights. It's amazing how many of those bags continue to Alaska.

AC4500

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:37 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

Pre-COVID, PDX-ANC was up to 3x daily. Now, it's still at just 1x daily until late May.

Wneast

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Where could Alaska add out of Geg?

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:52 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Pre-COVID, PDX-ANC was up to 3x daily. Now, it's still at just 1x daily until late May.

Hopefully, PDX-ANC will return to 3X daily post-COVID.

32andBelow

Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I'm sure there are more than 185 people flying between LAX and ANC...maybe not on a daily basis. I'm sure AS takes these things into consideration when planning and acting on these flights. But AS also has the plethora of smaller communities along the West to connect in SEA for ANC. AS has many flights from the Midwest, East Coast and even Mexico to fill their 14 to 15 daily flights between SEA and ANC.

Can AS codeshare with AA through ORD as part of their anti-trust restrictions? I think AS only has 1 or 2 gates at ORD.

On a few of the SEA-DCA or DCA-SEA flights that I have flown on, I end up looking at all the bags that get loaded on those flights. It's amazing how many of those bags continue to Alaska.

The problem with connecting through Seattle going east is you don’t gain much ground. Your still look at a 5-6 hour flight. Vs delta that puts you in Minneapolis and really close to anywhere east including long haul.

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

The problem with connecting through Seattle going east is you don’t gain much ground. Your still look at a 5-6 hour flight. Vs delta that puts you in Minneapolis and really close to anywhere east including long haul.

I won't dispute your point. There are still plenty of people that will connect through SEA to pretty much all of the cities AS serves...especially with the schedule AS has between the State of Alaska and SEA...not just ANC and FAI.

oosnowrat

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:07 am

QXorVX wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I believe IDA was last served from SEA on a triangle route with PIH. Flew the route several times.

Boiler905

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:12 am

Wneast wrote:

One idea could be GEG-ORD since AA doesn't have it in their schedule currently.

2nd idea is DEN is the #2 dest from GEG (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokane_International_Airport#Passenger) but no AS service.

GEG-LAS seems unlikely already has WN, G4 & F9 and is half the size of GEG-DEN

The GEG-BOI route has always been a surprising strength, makes you wonder if GEG-IDA, GEG-RNO, or other mountain destinations would be worth trying at least seasonally.

Wneast

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 am

Boiler905 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

2nd idea is DEN is the #2 dest from GEG (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokane_International_Airport#Passenger) but no AS service.

The GEG-BOI route has always been a surprising strength, makes you wonder if GEG-IDA, GEG-RNO, or other mountain destinations would be worth trying at least seasonally.

What do you think about a seasonal Hawaii flight ?

AC4500

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 am

Wneast wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
Wneast wrote:

That seems unlikely, but we've seen much weirder routes come about during this pandemic. Maybe GEG-OGG 3x weekly at most during the winter. If Alaska travel begins to come back stronger than other leisure destinations, maybe we'll see GEG-ANC return as well.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 am

I just realized AS is running a 0225 0330 0400 and 0445 SEAANC flights now. I know they have always had red eyes but I don’t remember this many flights. Especially this time of year and after 0300. What’s this about?

Chugach

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 am

32andBelow wrote:
I just realized AS is running a 0225 0330 0400 and 0445 SEAANC flights now. I know they have always had red eyes but I don’t remember this many flights. Especially this time of year and after 0300. What’s this about?

Probably something along the lines of “ANC will take whatever we give it”.

Chugach

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Hopefully, PDX-ANC will return to 3X daily post-COVID.

PDX-ANC was 4x daily in summer 2019. It’s historically been a strong route for AS.

jbs2886

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 am

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

There are 12+ flights a day, it’s not like AS is sticking it to ANC.

Boiler905

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:01 am

AC4500 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:

That seems unlikely, but we've seen much weirder routes come about during this pandemic. Maybe GEG-OGG 3x weekly at most during the winter. If Alaska travel begins to come back stronger than other leisure destinations, maybe we'll see GEG-ANC return as well.

Because of GEG's close proximity to SEA, I think GEG-ANC isn't worth the aircraft time given the good connectivity via SEA.

Hawaii though could definitely work < daily on the MAX's. Again though, is this how they want to utilize their resources with such close proximity and already good connections via SEA/PDX/SJC?

JBoy

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:00 pm

I have always liked the idea of ANC-MSP and ANC-ORD. I know ORD is already a thing but with the AA tie up just seems like both would be a good fit. MSP not as much as ORD but I would like it. :)

MAH4546

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:48 pm

JBoy wrote:
I have always liked the idea of ANC-MSP and ANC-ORD. I know ORD is already a thing but with the AA tie up just seems like both would be a good fit. MSP not as much as ORD but I would like it. :)

AS has been flying ANCORD for well over twenty years. ANCORD launched well before ANCSEA.

EYA: nevermind misread!
Last edited by MAH4546 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliqiout

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

AS has been flying ANCORD for well over twenty years. ANCORD launched well before ANCSEA.

Must be a typo?

LAXBUR

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
[Summer BOI flying could be a good leisure play, BOI-ORD/STL/BNA/MSP/DFW/DEN etc

Being frank - those won’t happen. F9 can’t make DEN-BOI work with their ULCC approach. I doubt there’s much of a market to STL from BOI. G4 is trying BNA and I think that’s the most that city pair can handle for now. The rest are fortress hubs.

If the MAX can do BOI-Hawaii, I could see that in a few years if someone else doesn’t beat them to it.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
JBoy wrote:

EYA: nevermind misread!

This of course is not correct. I think what you meant is that AS launched ORD-ANC well before ORD-SEA.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:13 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

It’s just a noted change. I wonder why they have scheduled this way now

jbs2886

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:49 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Chugach wrote:

I wasn't responding to you, but rather Chugach's comment. I, too, wonder why. I wonder if more connections are being geared towards earlier flights.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:54 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

I wasn't responding to you, but rather Chugach's comment. I, too, wonder why. I wonder if more connections are being geared towards earlier flights.

Maybe. I’ve heard they are pretty empty. Cus even Alaskans don’t pick a 3:30am flight if they don’t have to. Does Alaska still have planes parked? I wonder if they need to run more Red eye turns to utilize their current amount of
Planes

SANFan

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Maybe. I’ve heard they are pretty empty. Cus even Alaskans don’t pick a 3:30am flight if they don’t have to. Does Alaska still have planes parked? I wonder if they need to run more Red eye turns to utilize their current amount of
Planes

Extra cargo lift which can easily be done in the middle of the night with planes that would otherwise sit idle?

bb

Wneast

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Where could Alaska in the future add flights to hawaii ? They talked about this year adding more flying the islands this year

Wneast

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:30 am

Wneast wrote:
Where could Alaska in the future add flights to hawaii ? They talked about this year adding more flying the islands this year

More seasonal destinations to Hawaii I feel like they can’t keep adding just more California flights on the places that southwest is flying to Hawaii because southwest is going to poor more on them this summer

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos