Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Aliqiout
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:31 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
b777900 wrote:
ALASKA EVER adding Toronto OR eastern Canada?


There was a recent discussion about the possibility of AS or DL adding SEA-YYZ nonstop service at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456179#p22759847.

There were some individuals who have mentioned the possibility of AS adding SEA-YYZ nonstop service with AS being bigger in the SEA market than DL, but DL would have some advantages over AS if it adds SEA-YYZ nonstop service due to the DL-WS partnership, connecting opportunities available to other Eastern Canadian destinations through YYZ on WS, the WS FF base in Canada, and longstanding DL presence at YYZ.


That could be a reason why they have not considered SEA-YYZ.

They have considered, and actually flown LAX-YYZ. It didn't work out well, but a lot has changed since 1992.
 
USAirKid
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 am

b777900 wrote:
For SOME Reason I can not add the photo, Is the new 100 years Livery for Alaska in service I can not see any reg number?


If its this plane, the registration number is N248AK

And the 100 years is celebrating 100 years of Boeing, not Alaska, its officially called "Celebration of Boeing", which erm, maybe they should just repaint that plane into the standard livery ASAP.. :duck:
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:49 am

USAirKid wrote:
b777900 wrote:
For SOME Reason I can not add the photo, Is the new 100 years Livery for Alaska in service I can not see any reg number?


If its this plane, the registration number is N248AK

And the 100 years is celebrating 100 years of Boeing, not Alaska, its officially called "Celebration of Boeing", which erm, maybe they should just repaint that plane into the standard livery ASAP.. :duck:


They should call it “Celebrating the first 75 years of Boeing” when it was still a sincerely and competently managed company.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3833
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 8:59 am

b777900 wrote:
For SOME Reason I can not add the photo, Is the new 100 years Livery for Alaska in service I can not see any reg number?


Why wouold they be doing a. 100 years livery. They are still quite a wass away from 100 years?
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm

Maybe now that the Seattle Kraken NHL team is official, there will be a Kraken-themed airplane.
 
trueblew
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 8:40 pm

rbavfan wrote:
b777900 wrote:
For SOME Reason I can not add the photo, Is the new 100 years Livery for Alaska in service I can not see any reg number?


Why wouold they be doing a. 100 years livery. They are still quite a wass away from 100 years?


The Boeing Company was formed over 100 years ago... in 1916. So I'm not sure what the connection is to 100 years of Boeing. Seems a little late.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 9:32 pm

trueblew wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
b777900 wrote:
For SOME Reason I can not add the photo, Is the new 100 years Livery for Alaska in service I can not see any reg number?


Why wouold they be doing a. 100 years livery. They are still quite a wass away from 100 years?


The Boeing Company was formed over 100 years ago... in 1916. So I'm not sure what the connection is to 100 years of Boeing. Seems a little late.


AS already has a 737 painted up with the 100 years for Boeing. It couldn't be the State of Alaska considering Alaska didn't become a State until 1959.
 
User avatar
WALmsp
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sat May 01, 2021 9:45 pm

trueblew wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
b777900 wrote:
For SOME Reason I can not add the photo, Is the new 100 years Livery for Alaska in service I can not see any reg number?


Why wouold they be doing a. 100 years livery. They are still quite a wass away from 100 years?


The Boeing Company was formed over 100 years ago... in 1916. So I'm not sure what the connection is to 100 years of Boeing. Seems a little late.


I believe the plane was originally painted in 2016.
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 02, 2021 12:14 am

The Alaska 100-year Boeing airplane participated at the 100-year Boeing bash at the Museum of Flight.
 
DaCubbyBearBar
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 02, 2021 9:25 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe now that the Seattle Kraken NHL team is official, there will be a Kraken-themed airplane.

UNLEASH THE KRAKEN!!!! This would be AWESOME!!!
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5639
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 02, 2021 3:09 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe now that the Seattle Kraken NHL team is official, there will be a Kraken-themed airplane.

Is Alaska sponsoring them? Delta could be all over it
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3320
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 02, 2021 3:17 pm

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe now that the Seattle Kraken NHL team is official, there will be a Kraken-themed airplane.

Is Alaska sponsoring them? Delta could be all over it


Yes, it’s on their website.
 
Hamlet69
Posts: 2542
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2000 2:45 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 02, 2021 3:27 pm

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe now that the Seattle Kraken NHL team is official, there will be a Kraken-themed airplane.

Is Alaska sponsoring them? Delta could be all over it


Yup, it’s AS:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airli ... tle-arena/
All gave some. Some gave all.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm

This thread's been pretty quiet for a while now.

As I've been following all the chatter/rumors/discussion of WN ready to unleash on Hawaii like the cicadas back east, I've been looking for signs of some sort of reaction or pre-emptive activity from AAG; none seen. I've of course been keeping a very close eye on SAN-HI every Saturday night when the OAG loads drop and, including last night, everything seems to be status quo for the summer. (A second SAN-HNL flight, which showed up in earlier summer sked editions, is conspicuous by its continued absence.)

The new (expected) WN skeds for the Islands this summer have started leaking and they will apparently surpass the levels of service offered by AS in June/July in most Cal cities and just seen this morning is a suggestion that WN will even add SEA/PDX - HI service in July and August!

We know that AS has already surrendered OAK and SMF-to-HI to WN (& HA) but I'm wondering how much AAG will be willing/able to fight for the other mainland lower-48 gateways they offer: SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN, and whether any new gateways will be added?

Has anybody seen or heard anything regarding AS and Hawaii plans? Any input appreciated.

bb
 
flyfresno
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 pm

SANFan wrote:
We know that AS has already surrendered OAK and SMF-to-HI to WN (& HA) but I'm wondering how much AAG will be willing/able to fight for the other mainland lower-48 gateways they offer: SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN, and whether any new gateways will be added?

Has anybody seen or heard anything regarding AS and Hawaii plans? Any input appreciated.

bb


I knew SMF was gone, but I had no idea that OAK was too. I remember living in the East Bay a few years ago and seeing tons of advertisements for AS's OAK to Hawaii flights...I think they flew to all four major islands. What a win for WN.

Of course, there's the perennial FAT-HNL rumor, both with AS and now WN. I've heard BOI and GEG too. We will see...
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 pm

flyfresno wrote:
I knew SMF was gone, but I had no idea that OAK was too. I remember living in the East Bay a few years ago and seeing tons of advertisements for AS's OAK to Hawaii flights...I think they flew to all four major islands. What a win for WN.

Of course, there's the perennial FAT-HNL rumor, both with AS and now WN. I've heard BOI and GEG too. We will see...

Well, OAK is a major hub for WN and not much of anything for AS so it's not really much of a surprise that AS backed out of OAK-HI earlier this year. SMF was down to just Maui service on AS I think last year (or maybe 2019?) so AS decided apparently to concentrate on other gateways.

There certainly are plenty of rumors of new cities being considered for new nonstops to the Islands by both AS and WN -- as you know, fly'! -- so I'm anxious to see just how far this "Aloha War" extends! One thing I'm counting on: when all the dust settles, including all the COVID dust, in a year or so, the map of flights between the mainland (and maybe Alaska as well) and Hawaii will look very different than it does today!

bb
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 4:38 pm

flyfresno wrote:
SANFan wrote:
We know that AS has already surrendered OAK and SMF-to-HI to WN (& HA) but I'm wondering how much AAG will be willing/able to fight for the other mainland lower-48 gateways they offer: SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN, and whether any new gateways will be added?

Has anybody seen or heard anything regarding AS and Hawaii plans? Any input appreciated.

bb


I knew SMF was gone, but I had no idea that OAK was too. I remember living in the East Bay a few years ago and seeing tons of advertisements for AS's OAK to Hawaii flights...I think they flew to all four major islands. What a win for WN.

Of course, there's the perennial FAT-HNL rumor, both with AS and now WN. I've heard BOI and GEG too. We will see...

I would agree with flyfresno with those adds potentially not sure are they getting there max 9s etops by the end of the year it kinda hard to see what could happen with WN literally kicking Alaska in the face it should definitely be a blow for them, I mean WN is going to offering more on SAN, LAX and SJC then Alaska will be and if Alaska adds a frequency or two I bet WN will just go at them, it’s going to be a all out war
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

SANFan wrote:
This thread's been pretty quiet for a while now.

As I've been following all the chatter/rumors/discussion of WN ready to unleash on Hawaii like the cicadas back east, I've been looking for signs of some sort of reaction or pre-emptive activity from AAG; none seen. I've of course been keeping a very close eye on SAN-HI every Saturday night when the OAG loads drop and, including last night, everything seems to be status quo for the summer. (A second SAN-HNL flight, which showed up in earlier summer sked editions, is conspicuous by its continued absence.)

The new (expected) WN skeds for the Islands this summer have started leaking and they will apparently surpass the levels of service offered by AS in June/July in most Cal cities and just seen this morning is a suggestion that WN will even add SEA/PDX - HI service in July and August!

We know that AS has already surrendered OAK and SMF-to-HI to WN (& HA) but I'm wondering how much AAG will be willing/able to fight for the other mainland lower-48 gateways they offer: SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN, and whether any new gateways will be added?

Has anybody seen or heard anything regarding AS and Hawaii plans? Any input appreciated.

bb


I think the biggest difference with AS on the SMF-HI and OAK-HI is that they were purely O&D, no connections. I never thought OAK (or SMF) were large enough to handle three airlines to HI.

As far as SEA/PDX and to some degree SAN, I think AS will be handle the WN competition a little better considering the connection opportunities. For SEA, that would be 4 airlines serving HI. For PDX, that would be 3 airlines. I know WN has a stronghold at SAN; and they always have. It surprised me that they didn't enter the SAN-HI much earlier.

I don't know about PDX. But for SEA, I know that WN doesn't have the presence as DL and AS. I don't think WN will be able to shove AS or DL out of that market.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4604
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Has there been any word on the progress of their MAX yet? I saw some movement at the hanger in Seattle. They had their 4 planes outside for a bit. I suspect they are in the hanger now or went back to Boeing for a fix?
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 5:31 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Has there been any word on the progress of their MAX yet? I saw some movement at the hanger in Seattle. They had their 4 planes outside for a bit. I suspect they are in the hanger now or went back to Boeing for a fix?


Or they're back in the desert.
 
Dash8Driver16
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 5:38 pm

All the MAX’s are in OKC in preparation for the rework.
 
AC4500
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 5:54 pm

SANFan wrote:
The new (expected) WN skeds for the Islands this summer have started leaking and they will apparently surpass the levels of service offered by AS in June/July in most Cal cities and just seen this morning is a suggestion that WN will even add SEA/PDX - HI service in July and August!

Where did you see that WN could be adding SEA/PDX-Hawaii for July and August?

I couldn't imagine WN performing well on SEA-Hawaii, since there is already so much competition there including A332 widebody frequencies on HA. As for the PDX-Hawaii market, PDX-HNL has had 3 airlines in the fairly recent past (AS/HA/DL in 2017-2018, followed by AS/HA/SY in 2019). So there's certainly room for WN to put a dent in that market.
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 5:58 pm

AC4500 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The new (expected) WN skeds for the Islands this summer have started leaking and they will apparently surpass the levels of service offered by AS in June/July in most Cal cities and just seen this morning is a suggestion that WN will even add SEA/PDX - HI service in July and August!

Where did you see that WN could be adding SEA/PDX-Hawaii for July and August?

I couldn't imagine WN performing well on SEA-Hawaii, since there is already so much competition there including A332 widebody frequencies on HA. As for the PDX-Hawaii market, PDX-HNL has had 3 airlines in the fairly recent past (AS/HA/DL in 2017-2018, followed by AS/HA/SY in 2019). So there's certainly room for WN to put a dent in that market.

The mods took it off the WN thread, I think SEA they wouldn’t be able to gain any share they are not big there. I’m with you on them adding PDX- Hawaii as there would most likely be able to make a dent in that market especially with them being the second biggest carrier there
 
jplatts
Posts: 4694
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
As far as SEA/PDX and to some degree SAN, I think AS will be handle the WN competition a little better considering the connection opportunities. For SEA, that would be 4 airlines serving HI. For PDX, that would be 3 airlines. I know WN has a stronghold at SAN; and they always have. It surprised me that they didn't enter the SAN-HI much earlier.

I don't know about PDX. But for SEA, I know that WN doesn't have the presence as DL and AS. I don't think WN will be able to shove AS or DL out of that market.


WN had a bigger presence at PDX than at SEA prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and WN also had higher percentage market share at PDX than at SEA pre-pandemic. DL also doesn't have a hub at PDX, whereas SEA is a hub for DL.

I agree that WN would not be able to shove AS or DL off of SEA-Hawaii routes with the AS FF base in WA/AK/OR/ID/MT and the DL FF base in the SEA/SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/NYC/BOS markets.

There are also some DL FF's in the MSP, DTW, ATL, NYC, and BOS markets who would be making connections onto DL's SEA-OGG/KOA/LIH nonstop flights.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 6:17 pm

flyfresno wrote:
SANFan wrote:
We know that AS has already surrendered OAK and SMF-to-HI to WN (& HA) but I'm wondering how much AAG will be willing/able to fight for the other mainland lower-48 gateways they offer: SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN, and whether any new gateways will be added?

Has anybody seen or heard anything regarding AS and Hawaii plans? Any input appreciated.

bb


I knew SMF was gone, but I had no idea that OAK was too. I remember living in the East Bay a few years ago and seeing tons of advertisements for AS's OAK to Hawaii flights...I think they flew to all four major islands. What a win for WN.

Of course, there's the perennial FAT-HNL rumor, both with AS and now WN. I've heard BOI and GEG too. We will see...


The only “rumors” I’ve heard about AS starting FAT, GEG, or BOI are people’s wishful thinking on A.net.

Has anyone heard any legitimate rumors from anyone inside AS about any of those routes starting?
 
sxf24
Posts: 1239
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 pm

It would be idiotic to start SEA or PDX to Hawaii in the summer. Unlike California, this is a slow traffic period. PNW to Hawaii is a dominant winter flow.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 3320
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 pm

sxf24 wrote:
It would be idiotic to start SEA or PDX to Hawaii in the summer. Unlike California, this is a slow traffic period. PNW to Hawaii is a dominant winter flow.


Perhaps that was true in normal times, but these are not normal. Us in the PNW don’t have a lot of options we used to have so I bet Hawaii will be big.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 6:49 pm

sxf24 wrote:
It would be idiotic to start SEA or PDX to Hawaii in the summer. Unlike California, this is a slow traffic period. PNW to Hawaii is a dominant winter flow.

You're right but I think WN will come in, guns a blazing, fares in the gutter, and fill up a bunch of seats for a couple of months out of the PNW, maybe just to put everyone on notice that they can! Who, knows, they might be back later in the year if they see the opportunity.

But, as has been pointed out, they will be fighting mostly for the local Hawaii traffic out of both PDX and SEA (and/or anywhere else they try) since they just don't have the network feed for connecting traffic in that corner of the country, especially in the winter. (And who in the midwest would want to connect to HI via the PNW in the winter when there will be at least half a dozen CA/NV/AZ gateways available to do so?)

I don't necessarily agree with those saying PDX might be a market that WN might be able to sink their teeth into, certainly more so than SEA. PDX does fairly consistently seem to have 3 cx flying to HI with AS constantly adjusting capacity seasonally to offer sufficient seats for both local and connecting traffic. I'm just not sure that WN could bite into that enough to become a permanent, serious competitor. It will very interesting to see what real effects WN has on the entire western mainland-to-Hawaii environment.

bb
 
AC4500
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 7:32 pm

SANFan wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with those saying PDX might be a market that WN might be able to sink their teeth into, certainly more so than SEA. PDX does fairly consistently seem to have 3 cx flying to HI with AS constantly adjusting capacity seasonally to offer sufficient seats for both local and connecting traffic. I'm just not sure that WN could bite into that enough to become a permanent, serious competitor. It will very interesting to see what real effects WN has on the entire western mainland-to-Hawaii environment.

bb

I hear you.

WN's Hawaii ambitions as a whole are quite competitive so I think they would be more willing to stick around for much longer than DL/SY did. Don't forget that WN still does have a pretty strong customer base here in Portland as PDX's second largest carrier. However, AS is obviously the dominant point-of-sale carrier in the Portland to Hawaii market but if WN offers fares that are low enough it would at least keep AS on their toes. When B6/DL both flew PDX-ANC, fares on that route plummeted. Perhaps a similar scenario would unfold if WN were to start PDX-HNL.

PDX-HNL on both AS and HA are currently at 1x daily (AS was at 2x daily before the pandemic) whereas SEA-HNL often has a much as 7 to 8 daily flights including 1 or 2 widebodies. That's not to say that SEA-HNL isn't out of the question but SEA-HNL would certainly be a much tougher market for them than PDX-HNL.

With just two flights a day, there's certainly room there for WN to work with if they wanted to start PDX-HNL. However, if AS responds to this by re-adding a second daily PDX-HNL flight than WN may certainly be in trouble there...
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 pm

SANFan wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
It would be idiotic to start SEA or PDX to Hawaii in the summer. Unlike California, this is a slow traffic period. PNW to Hawaii is a dominant winter flow.

You're right but I think WN will come in, guns a blazing, fares in the gutter, and fill up a bunch of seats for a couple of months out of the PNW, maybe just to put everyone on notice that they can! Who, knows, they might be back later in the year if they see the opportunity.

But, as has been pointed out, they will be fighting mostly for the local Hawaii traffic out of both PDX and SEA (and/or anywhere else they try) since they just don't have the network feed for connecting traffic in that corner of the country, especially in the winter. (And who in the midwest would want to connect to HI via the PNW in the winter when there will be at least half a dozen CA/NV/AZ gateways available to do so?)

I don't necessarily agree with those saying PDX might be a market that WN might be able to sink their teeth into, certainly more so than SEA. PDX does fairly consistently seem to have 3 cx flying to HI with AS constantly adjusting capacity seasonally to offer sufficient seats for both local and connecting traffic. I'm just not sure that WN could bite into that enough to become a permanent, serious competitor. It will very interesting to see what real effects WN has on the entire western mainland-to-Hawaii environment.

bb


WN hasn't been doing too much expansion out of SEA...a couple here and there, and some being seasonal. But their gate space at SEA is pretty low. They gave up most of their connectivity at SEA when they removed the GEG-SEA and BOI-SEA routes. But they have plenty of connectivity through OAK.

I have seen AS fly the SEA-HNL (and SEA-OGG) route up to at least 3X daily. DL has been flying most of their SEA-HI routes 2X daily. HA has been using their A330's on the SEA-HNL and SEA-OGG routes. DL's morning SEA-HNL flights have been 767-400's lately, with the afternoon departure being a 757.

IMHO, I don't think it's worthwhile for WN to try the SEA-HI flights.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 8:39 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
It would be idiotic to start SEA or PDX to Hawaii in the summer. Unlike California, this is a slow traffic period. PNW to Hawaii is a dominant winter flow.

You're right but I think WN will come in, guns a blazing, fares in the gutter, and fill up a bunch of seats for a couple of months out of the PNW, maybe just to put everyone on notice that they can! Who, knows, they might be back later in the year if they see the opportunity.

But, as has been pointed out, they will be fighting mostly for the local Hawaii traffic out of both PDX and SEA (and/or anywhere else they try) since they just don't have the network feed for connecting traffic in that corner of the country, especially in the winter. (And who in the midwest would want to connect to HI via the PNW in the winter when there will be at least half a dozen CA/NV/AZ gateways available to do so?)

I don't necessarily agree with those saying PDX might be a market that WN might be able to sink their teeth into, certainly more so than SEA. PDX does fairly consistently seem to have 3 cx flying to HI with AS constantly adjusting capacity seasonally to offer sufficient seats for both local and connecting traffic. I'm just not sure that WN could bite into that enough to become a permanent, serious competitor. It will very interesting to see what real effects WN has on the entire western mainland-to-Hawaii environment.

bb


WN hasn't been doing too much expansion out of SEA...a couple here and there, and some being seasonal. But their gate space at SEA is pretty low. They gave up most of their connectivity at SEA when they removed the GEG-SEA and BOI-SEA routes. But they have plenty of connectivity through OAK.

I have seen AS fly the SEA-HNL (and SEA-OGG) route up to at least 3X daily. DL has been flying most of their SEA-HI routes 2X daily. HA has been using their A330's on the SEA-HNL and SEA-OGG routes. DL's morning SEA-HNL flights have been 767-400's lately, with the afternoon departure being a 757.

IMHO, I don't think it's worthwhile for WN to try the SEA-HI flights.


I could see WN trying BLI-Hawaii, when they finally get around to announcing routes from BLI. I if wonder AS will jump back into BLI, with more than just flights to SEA, in an attempt to defend the Pacific Northwest? Or will they just let G4 and WN have BLI?
 
jplatts
Posts: 4694
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 9:18 pm

AC4500 wrote:
WN's Hawaii ambitions as a whole are quite competitive so I think they would be more willing to stick around for much longer than DL/SY did. Don't forget that WN still does have a pretty strong customer base here in Portland as PDX's second largest carrier. However, AS is obviously the dominant point-of-sale carrier in the Portland to Hawaii market but if WN offers fares that are low enough it would at least keep AS on their toes. When B6/DL both flew PDX-ANC, fares on that route plummeted. Perhaps a similar scenario would unfold if WN were to start PDX-HNL.

PDX-HNL on both AS and HA are currently at 1x daily (AS was at 2x daily before the pandemic) whereas SEA-HNL often has a much as 7 to 8 daily flights including 1 or 2 widebodies. That's not to say that SEA-HNL isn't out of the question but SEA-HNL would certainly be a much tougher market for them than PDX-HNL.

With just two flights a day, there's certainly room there for WN to work with if they wanted to start PDX-HNL. However, if AS responds to this by re-adding a second daily PDX-HNL flight than WN may certainly be in trouble there...


Here were the load factors for AS PDX-ATL/DTW and NK PDX-DTW in 2018:
AS PDX-ATL in 2018 - 13856 passengers, 17445 seats, 79.43% load factor
AS PDX-DTW in 2018 - 41055 passengers, 55678 seats, 73.74% load factor
NK PDX-DTW in 2018 - 4091 passengers, 10632 seats, 38.48% load factor

AS previously served ATL and DTW nonstop from PDX, but dropped PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, ATL and DTW are both major hubs for DL, and DL also has significantly more connecting feed on PDX-ATL/DTW than AS ever had on these two routes. DL also has a FF base in Michigan, Ohio, the Northeast, and the Southeast to support PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service on DL.

WN would have an advantage over AS if it adds PDX-ATL nonstop service with the connecting opportunities that would be there to GSP, RDU, RIC, and Florida through ATL on WN along with the FF base that WN has in ATL and Florida.

AS could probably make the return of PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service work if demand were at pre-pandemic levels with neither of these routes currently having nonstop competition and with NK no longer serving DTW nonstop from PDX.

STL doesn't currently have any nonstop service form PDX, but WN is also currently scheduled to resume STL-PDX nonstop service on June 6th, which is less than a month away.

While AS doesn't currently serve IAH nonstop from PDX, I have previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding PDX-IAH nonstop service in the Houston Aviation Thread with (a) UA currently being the only airline serving the Houston market nonstop from PDX, (b) WN no longer serving HOU nonstop from PDX, (c) IAH being one of the top destinations traveled to from Greater Portland that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX, and (d) IAH being the only UA hub market isn't currently served nonstop from PDX on AS.

CLT currently has nonstop service from PDX on AA but not AS, but AS doesn't currently serve CLT and AS FF's in the Pacific Northwest who need to travel to CLT are willing to fly to CLT on AA due to the AA-AS partnership.

I am unsure if AS would increase PDX-Hawaii nonstop service in response to WN adding nonstop service to Hawaii from PDX as there are a few destinations such as ATL, CLT, DTW, IAH, and STL that have nonstop service out of PDX on a US4 carrier but not AS.

Is AS likely to re-add PDX-ATL/DTW/STL nonstop service or add PDX-IAH nonstop service to better compete against the US4 in PDX?
 
AC4500
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 pm

jplatts wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
WN's Hawaii ambitions as a whole are quite competitive so I think they would be more willing to stick around for much longer than DL/SY did. Don't forget that WN still does have a pretty strong customer base here in Portland as PDX's second largest carrier. However, AS is obviously the dominant point-of-sale carrier in the Portland to Hawaii market but if WN offers fares that are low enough it would at least keep AS on their toes. When B6/DL both flew PDX-ANC, fares on that route plummeted. Perhaps a similar scenario would unfold if WN were to start PDX-HNL.

PDX-HNL on both AS and HA are currently at 1x daily (AS was at 2x daily before the pandemic) whereas SEA-HNL often has a much as 7 to 8 daily flights including 1 or 2 widebodies. That's not to say that SEA-HNL isn't out of the question but SEA-HNL would certainly be a much tougher market for them than PDX-HNL.

With just two flights a day, there's certainly room there for WN to work with if they wanted to start PDX-HNL. However, if AS responds to this by re-adding a second daily PDX-HNL flight than WN may certainly be in trouble there...


Here were the load factors for AS PDX-ATL/DTW and NK PDX-DTW in 2018:
AS PDX-ATL in 2018 - 13856 passengers, 17445 seats, 79.43% load factor
AS PDX-DTW in 2018 - 41055 passengers, 55678 seats, 73.74% load factor
NK PDX-DTW in 2018 - 4091 passengers, 10632 seats, 38.48% load factor

AS previously served ATL and DTW nonstop from PDX, but dropped PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, ATL and DTW are both major hubs for DL, and DL also has significantly more connecting feed on PDX-ATL/DTW than AS ever had on these two routes. DL also has a FF base in Michigan, Ohio, the Northeast, and the Southeast to support PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service on DL.

WN would have an advantage over AS if it adds PDX-ATL nonstop service with the connecting opportunities that would be there to GSP, RDU, RIC, and Florida through ATL on WN along with the FF base that WN has in ATL and Florida.

AS could probably make the return of PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service work if demand were at pre-pandemic levels with neither of these routes currently having nonstop competition and with NK no longer serving DTW nonstop from PDX.

STL doesn't currently have any nonstop service form PDX, but WN is also currently scheduled to resume STL-PDX nonstop service on June 6th, which is less than a month away.

While AS doesn't currently serve IAH nonstop from PDX, I have previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding PDX-IAH nonstop service in the Houston Aviation Thread with (a) UA currently being the only airline serving the Houston market nonstop from PDX, (b) WN no longer serving HOU nonstop from PDX, (c) IAH being one of the top destinations traveled to from Greater Portland that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX, and (d) IAH being the only UA hub market isn't currently served nonstop from PDX on AS.

CLT currently has nonstop service from PDX on AA but not AS, but AS doesn't currently serve CLT and AS FF's in the Pacific Northwest who need to travel to CLT are willing to fly to CLT on AA due to the AA-AS partnership.

I am unsure if AS would increase PDX-Hawaii nonstop service in response to WN adding nonstop service to Hawaii from PDX as there are a few destinations such as ATL, CLT, DTW, IAH, and STL that have nonstop service out of PDX on a US4 carrier but not AS.

Is AS likely to re-add PDX-ATL/DTW/STL nonstop service or add PDX-IAH nonstop service to better compete against the US4 in PDX?

WN may have a decently sized customer base in Portland, but it's not that big. AS still dominates the market share ten-fold.

Routes that AS has dropped from Portland (ATL, DTW, MKE, STL) are all thinner markets in which there is really no room for a second airline to operate in. The 38% LF on PDX-DTW for NK that you mentioned proves that entirely. At the time, there were three airlines on PDX-DTW. What a disaster that turned out to be, LOL.

In general, I think AS has trouble retaining connecting traffic because the only markets that AS passengers can logically connect to through SEA/PDX are Alaska and Hawaii. Everywhere else involves significant backtracking, which is essentially the reason why the Pacific Northwest is geographically not ideal for a major airline connecting hub. DL (and AS with foreign airline partners) both make it work in Seattle because there is sufficient demand for both SEA-Asia & SEA-Europe flights. The demand was/is so great in fact, that DL severed ties with AS to start their own domestic network in Seattle. That's not so much the case here in Portland. So AS almost solely relies on O&D traffic for PDX while they can funnel the few connecting passengers they have through SEA. That's why you see thinner markets that can't sustain a daily flight get dropped like PDX-ATL/DTW/MKE/STL since little to no connecting traffic is there to help offset the smaller O&D traffic.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 10:18 pm

AC4500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
WN's Hawaii ambitions as a whole are quite competitive so I think they would be more willing to stick around for much longer than DL/SY did. Don't forget that WN still does have a pretty strong customer base here in Portland as PDX's second largest carrier. However, AS is obviously the dominant point-of-sale carrier in the Portland to Hawaii market but if WN offers fares that are low enough it would at least keep AS on their toes. When B6/DL both flew PDX-ANC, fares on that route plummeted. Perhaps a similar scenario would unfold if WN were to start PDX-HNL.

PDX-HNL on both AS and HA are currently at 1x daily (AS was at 2x daily before the pandemic) whereas SEA-HNL often has a much as 7 to 8 daily flights including 1 or 2 widebodies. That's not to say that SEA-HNL isn't out of the question but SEA-HNL would certainly be a much tougher market for them than PDX-HNL.

With just two flights a day, there's certainly room there for WN to work with if they wanted to start PDX-HNL. However, if AS responds to this by re-adding a second daily PDX-HNL flight than WN may certainly be in trouble there...


Here were the load factors for AS PDX-ATL/DTW and NK PDX-DTW in 2018:
AS PDX-ATL in 2018 - 13856 passengers, 17445 seats, 79.43% load factor
AS PDX-DTW in 2018 - 41055 passengers, 55678 seats, 73.74% load factor
NK PDX-DTW in 2018 - 4091 passengers, 10632 seats, 38.48% load factor

AS previously served ATL and DTW nonstop from PDX, but dropped PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, ATL and DTW are both major hubs for DL, and DL also has significantly more connecting feed on PDX-ATL/DTW than AS ever had on these two routes. DL also has a FF base in Michigan, Ohio, the Northeast, and the Southeast to support PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service on DL.

WN would have an advantage over AS if it adds PDX-ATL nonstop service with the connecting opportunities that would be there to GSP, RDU, RIC, and Florida through ATL on WN along with the FF base that WN has in ATL and Florida.

AS could probably make the return of PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service work if demand were at pre-pandemic levels with neither of these routes currently having nonstop competition and with NK no longer serving DTW nonstop from PDX.

STL doesn't currently have any nonstop service form PDX, but WN is also currently scheduled to resume STL-PDX nonstop service on June 6th, which is less than a month away.

While AS doesn't currently serve IAH nonstop from PDX, I have previously mentioned the possibility of AS adding PDX-IAH nonstop service in the Houston Aviation Thread with (a) UA currently being the only airline serving the Houston market nonstop from PDX, (b) WN no longer serving HOU nonstop from PDX, (c) IAH being one of the top destinations traveled to from Greater Portland that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX, and (d) IAH being the only UA hub market isn't currently served nonstop from PDX on AS.

CLT currently has nonstop service from PDX on AA but not AS, but AS doesn't currently serve CLT and AS FF's in the Pacific Northwest who need to travel to CLT are willing to fly to CLT on AA due to the AA-AS partnership.

I am unsure if AS would increase PDX-Hawaii nonstop service in response to WN adding nonstop service to Hawaii from PDX as there are a few destinations such as ATL, CLT, DTW, IAH, and STL that have nonstop service out of PDX on a US4 carrier but not AS.

Is AS likely to re-add PDX-ATL/DTW/STL nonstop service or add PDX-IAH nonstop service to better compete against the US4 in PDX?

WN may have a decently sized customer base in Portland, but it's not that big. AS still dominates the market share ten-fold.

Routes that AS has dropped from Portland (ATL, DTW, MKE, STL) are all thinner markets in which there is really no room for a second airline to operate in. The 38% LF on PDX-DTW for NK that you mentioned proves that entirely. At the time, there were three airlines on PDX-DTW. What a disaster that turned out to be, LOL.

In general, I think AS has trouble retaining connecting traffic because the only markets that AS passengers can logically connect to through SEA/PDX are Alaska and Hawaii. Everywhere else involves significant backtracking, which is essentially the reason why the Pacific Northwest is geographically not ideal for a major airline connecting hub. DL (and AS with foreign airline partners) both make it work in Seattle because there is sufficient demand for both SEA-Asia & SEA-Europe flights. The demand was/is so great in fact, that DL severed ties with AS to start their own domestic network in Seattle. That's not so much the case here in Portland. So AS almost solely relies on O&D traffic for PDX while they can funnel the few connecting passengers they have through SEA. That's why you see thinner markets that can't sustain a daily flight get dropped like PDX-ATL/DTW/MKE/STL since little to no connecting traffic is there to help offset the smaller O&D traffic.


You would be surprised how much connection activity AS supports outside of the just AK and HI.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 10:35 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I could see WN trying BLI-Hawaii, when they finally get around to announcing routes from BLI. I if wonder AS will jump back into BLI, with more than just flights to SEA, in an attempt to defend the Pacific Northwest? Or will they just let G4 and WN have BLI?

Remember that AS used to fly BLI-Hawaii. According to my records, last service was in winter 2018/19 with flights op'ing BLI-OGG (4x wkly) & a single weekly flight to KOA. The service, perhaps even to additional islands, went back even further for several winters.

So yes, once the border opens up fully, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone (or someones) flying to the Islands from BLI, as well as other routes.

bb
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 9853
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 10:38 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
You would be surprised how much connection activity AS supports outside of the just AK and HI.


Maybe. Have any data for connecting traffic by destination?
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 10:40 pm

SANFan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I could see WN trying BLI-Hawaii, when they finally get around to announcing routes from BLI. I if wonder AS will jump back into BLI, with more than just flights to SEA, in an attempt to defend the Pacific Northwest? Or will they just let G4 and WN have BLI?

Remember that AS used to fly BLI-Hawaii. According to my records, last service was in winter 2018/19 with flights op'ing BLI-OGG (4x wkly) & a single weekly flight to KOA. The service, perhaps even to additional islands, went back even further for several winters.

So yes, once the border opens up fully, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone (or someones) flying to the Islands from BLI, as well as other routes.

bb


I’m aware of that. That was my point. AS has dropped mainline from BLI to LAS, HNL, OGG, and KOA. Plus they’ve done BLI-PDX a few times on the Q. If WN starts routes like that, will they jump back in the game to defend their PNW territory or will they concede that market?
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 pm

SANFan wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I could see WN trying BLI-Hawaii, when they finally get around to announcing routes from BLI. I if wonder AS will jump back into BLI, with more than just flights to SEA, in an attempt to defend the Pacific Northwest? Or will they just let G4 and WN have BLI?

Remember that AS used to fly BLI-Hawaii. According to my records, last service was in winter 2018/19 with flights op'ing BLI-OGG (4x wkly) & a single weekly flight to KOA. The service, perhaps even to additional islands, went back even further for several winters.

So yes, once the border opens up fully, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone (or someones) flying to the Islands from BLI, as well as other routes.

bb


I think one of the reasons why BLI service kind of dried up had to do with the currency exchange rate between the US Dollar and the Canadian Dollar. The exchange difference between the two made it not worthwhile for the Canadians to come over to the US to fly BLI instead of YXX and YVR. I wonder if that's what WN is banking on when they start flying to BLI. Otherwise, BLI is going to be a big disappointment for them.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 12:14 am

Just for fun, I just looked up summer frequencies on AS to HI from their current 7 gateways -- as they exist right now, for the 6/18 schedules. Results:

SEA-HNL: 4 Dly, SEA-OGG: 4 Dly, SEA-KOA: 3 Dly, SEA-LIH: 2 Dly for a TL of 13 Dly flights;
SAN-HNL: 1 Dly, SAN-OGG: 2 Dly, SAN-KOA: 1 Dly, SAN-LIH: 1 Dly for a TL of 5 Dly flights;
SJC-HNL: 1 Dly, SJC-OGG: 1 Dly, SJC-KOA: 1 Dly, SJC-LIH: 1 Dly for a TL of 4 Dly flights;
PDX-HNL: 1 Dly, PDX-OGG: 8 wkly, PDX-KOA: 1 Dly for a TL of 3.1 Dly flights;
LAX-HNL: 1 Dly, LAX-OGG: 1 Dly, LAX-KOA: 3 wkly, LAX-LIH: 4 wkly for a TL of 3 Dly flights;
SFO-HNL: 1 Dly, SFO-OGG: 1 Dly for a TL of 2 Dly flights; and
ANC-HNL: 4 wkly, ANC-OGG: 3 wkly for a TL of 1 Dly flight.

I don't know if these have been the frequencies for a while or if things were just adjusted last night (except for SAN which I can verify did not change last night.) Can anyone verify what the peak summer skeds were for SEA a week or 2 ago? (I don't track SEA frequencies very thoroughly or constantly.) Is 4/day the typical summer count?!

Using this as a starting point, I'll try to monitor these counts as June/July approach, and as WN does whatever they are going to do!

bb
 
OKCDCA
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 1:02 am

Dash8Driver16 wrote:
All the MAX’s are in OKC in preparation for the rework.

OKC looks like an AS hub with all the planes at the AAR ramp.

I noticed AS has been running a 739 on OKC-SEA the last couple weeks. Impressive growth for a route that started as QX 175 and moved up to 319/320 and now a 739. With AS joining OW and OKC being a large AA FF base, any chance of AS adding additional service out of OKC? AA is using AS’s Gate 2 frequently.
 
Dash8Driver16
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 2:06 am

Lately there it feels like AS has started rightsizing the plane and market. During the height of COVID it was literally what ever airplane was available since there was almost never a capacity issue.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5741
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 am

SANFan wrote:
Just for fun, I just looked up summer frequencies on AS to HI from their current 7 gateways -- as they exist right now, for the 6/18 schedules. Results:

SEA-HNL: 4 Dly, SEA-OGG: 4 Dly, SEA-KOA: 3 Dly, SEA-LIH: 2 Dly for a TL of 13 Dly flights;
SAN-HNL: 1 Dly, SAN-OGG: 2 Dly, SAN-KOA: 1 Dly, SAN-LIH: 1 Dly for a TL of 5 Dly flights;
SJC-HNL: 1 Dly, SJC-OGG: 1 Dly, SJC-KOA: 1 Dly, SJC-LIH: 1 Dly for a TL of 4 Dly flights;
PDX-HNL: 1 Dly, PDX-OGG: 8 wkly, PDX-KOA: 1 Dly for a TL of 3.1 Dly flights;
LAX-HNL: 1 Dly, LAX-OGG: 1 Dly, LAX-KOA: 3 wkly, LAX-LIH: 4 wkly for a TL of 3 Dly flights;
SFO-HNL: 1 Dly, SFO-OGG: 1 Dly for a TL of 2 Dly flights; and
ANC-HNL: 4 wkly, ANC-OGG: 3 wkly for a TL of 1 Dly flight.

I don't know if these have been the frequencies for a while or if things were just adjusted last night (except for SAN which I can verify did not change last night.) Can anyone verify what the peak summer skeds were for SEA a week or 2 ago? (I don't track SEA frequencies very thoroughly or constantly.) Is 4/day the typical summer count?!

Using this as a starting point, I'll try to monitor these counts as June/July approach, and as WN does whatever they are going to do!

bb


Today/tonight, it seems DL is really ramping up their SEA-HI flights. I noticed a 764 on the morning SEA-HNL flight and an A330-200 on the afternoon run. In addition, DL ran a 763 on the SEA-OGG route today.
 
jplatts
Posts: 4694
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

OKCDCA wrote:
I noticed AS has been running a 739 on OKC-SEA the last couple weeks. Impressive growth for a route that started as QX 175 and moved up to 319/320 and now a 739. With AS joining OW and OKC being a large AA FF base, any chance of AS adding additional service out of OKC? AA is using AS’s Gate 2 frequently.


AS adding OKC-PDX nonstop service using E-175 regional jets might be a possibility with PDX being one of the top destinations not currently served nonstop from OKC and with OKC-PDX being within the range of E-175 regional jets. AS has also previously operated E-175 regional jets on some routes longer than OKC-PDX such as PDX-DAL and SEA-DAL/MKE/OKC.

I have also mentioned the possibility of AS adding TUL-SEA nonstop service using E-175 regional jets with TUL being one of the top remaining domestic destinations without any nonstop service to SEA and with TUL-SEA being within the range of E-175 regional jets.
 
User avatar
Boiler905
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 1:36 pm

All of this talk about reestablishing AS' prior routes from PDX/SAN/HI etc. I hope AS execs aren't distracted by such decisions.

IMO, AS needs to focus on new areas of growth such as BOI/ANC/GEG before another airline does.

The west coast isn't the same as it was pre-pandemic so I don't expect AS to resume all of its previous routes.

Look at OAK>Hawaii, surrendered to WN (just as 1 example). California is not where the opportunity lies.
Boiler Up
 
gmcc
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Boiler905 wrote:
All of this talk about reestablishing AS' prior routes from PDX/SAN/HI etc. I hope AS execs aren't distracted by such decisions.

IMO, AS needs to focus on new areas of growth such as BOI/ANC/GEG before another airline does.

The west coast isn't the same as it was pre-pandemic so I don't expect AS to resume all of its previous routes.

Look at OAK>Hawaii, surrendered to WN (just as 1 example). California is not where the opportunity lies.

AS GEG ops might be a little constrained starting in 2022 as terminal C is in for some work from 2022 through 2024 in the latest terminal expansion plan.

https://business.spokaneairports.net/co ... um%201.pdf

This one appears to be an update from the last one as it keeps QX ground boarding on the east and does not appear to connect terminals A & B to terminal C. It also adds 3 bridged boarding gates and an expanded ticketing area. AS will probably not get exclusive use of the thee new bridge gates but I bet they will try to keep their friends close and their enemies inthe older AB terminal.
 
Wneast
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm

gmcc wrote:
Boiler905 wrote:
All of this talk about reestablishing AS' prior routes from PDX/SAN/HI etc. I hope AS execs aren't distracted by such decisions.

IMO, AS needs to focus on new areas of growth such as BOI/ANC/GEG before another airline does.

The west coast isn't the same as it was pre-pandemic so I don't expect AS to resume all of its previous routes.

Look at OAK>Hawaii, surrendered to WN (just as 1 example). California is not where the opportunity lies.

AS GEG ops might be a little constrained starting in 2022 as terminal C is in for some work from 2022 through 2024 in the latest terminal expansion plan.

https://business.spokaneairports.net/co ... um%201.pdf

This one appears to be an update from the last one as it keeps QX ground boarding on the east and does not appear to connect terminals A & B to terminal C. It also adds 3 bridged boarding gates and an expanded ticketing area. AS will probably not get exclusive use of the thee new bridge gates but I bet they will try to keep their friends close and their enemies inthe older AB terminal.

That must be updated as you said before they were supposed to add three gates and connect the terminal with the new main hall that is also starting I think they plan was to connect them and in five years start building a another remote terminal
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5639
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Mon May 10, 2021 6:46 pm

They are giving up way to much of the seasonal market to ANC. Delta and American are coming in HOT this summer
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5684
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 pm

AS made a 2-pronged announcement today (which is being discussed on another thread) but I wanted to summarize it here also. Here's the direct link to AS:
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2021-05- ... -expansion

First, after stating they "expect domestic travel to return to pre-COVID levels by the summer of 2022", they announced they will add 17 EMJs to their stable -- 9 will belong to QX while the other 8 will go to OO -- in '22 & '23. They have also exercised options for 13 more MAX9s to join the fleet in 2023 & '24! Great news!

Second, they announced their intentions to serve Belize City at some point. No details were given but will follow when ticket sales will begin in early June. I assume the service will perhaps start in the fall but maybe not until this winter. So another Central American destination joins the route map.

It looks like AS is not just planning on being back to "normal" by summer of 2022, but they expect to keep growing once they reach their previous levels of operation!

I've got a long list of possible new routes for you Alaska; don't hesitate to call!

BTW, here's the link to other A.net thread discussing this announcement: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1460775

bb
 
jplatts
Posts: 4694
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 9:44 pm

There was a discussion (with no responses) regarding the possibility of AS adding new domestic destinations (apart from already-announced IDA and RDD) in 2021 in the Travel Polls & Preferences section that can be found at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1460263.
 
gmcc
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Wed May 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Then there is this little tidbit on airlinepilotforums
in reply 221 " and the are renewing the 7 leased q400." If true, and there has been no offical confirmation as all SEC filing say they are being returned, I wonder where in the PNW AS will put them. I say in the PNW because while they have used the Qs down to California, I don't think it is their preferred aircraft except for some reason at OAK and sometimes at SMF

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hori ... ad-23.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos