Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aliqiout

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet/Network Thread - 2021

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Not the first time that AS had a poor schedule on a route, so it ends up failing.

Of course this happens to all airlines. Flights in new markets are often scheduled at non ideal times because fleet, labour, gate, and sometimes slot availability need to be accounted for.

SANFan

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Not the first time that AS had a poor schedule on a route, so it ends up failing.

Of course this happens to all airlines. Flights in new markets are often scheduled at non ideal times because fleet, labour, gate, and sometimes slot availability need to be accounted for.

I would add RON parking availability to your list of potential issues at PAE, Aliqiout. And expanding on your comment, with only 3 gates at PAE, shared with UA, not every flight can leave at an ideal time. I suspect AS is very aware of their flights that are not at preferred times & will do their best to slide them around when they can. Since there is only 1 flight offered in the LAX-PAE market right now, perhaps that is because they have had issues with loads in the past even when a better schedule was offered, so they gave LA a lower timing-priority than the routes that have performed better. With only a single flight offered by anyone on the route, I would expect a poorly-timed flight would still see some pax and that tells the Route Planners something as well.

(BTW Boeing', the single SAN-PAE flight is currently scheduled with an 8:30p departure, arriving in Everett about 11:35pm! Talk about lousy timing....)

LA-PAE still appears on the November schedules, which doesn't mean a whole lot in June, but it does tell me that Route Planning is hoping to -- and planning on -- bringing the route back once the traffic returns. I've been seeing this strategy play out for months now with AS as the recovery continues.

bb

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:42 pm

SANFan wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I would add RON parking availability to your list of potential issues at PAE, Aliqiout. And expanding on your comment, with only 3 gates at PAE, shared with UA, not every flight can leave at an ideal time. I suspect AS is very aware of their flights that are not at preferred times & will do their best to slide them around when they can. Since there is only 1 flight offered in the LAX-PAE market right now, perhaps that is because they have had issues with loads in the past even when a better schedule was offered, so they gave LA a lower timing-priority than the routes that have performed better. With only a single flight offered by anyone on the route, I would expect a poorly-timed flight would still see some pax and that tells the Route Planners something as well.

(BTW Boeing', the single SAN-PAE flight is currently scheduled with an 8:30p departure, arriving in Everett about 11:35pm! Talk about lousy timing....)

LA-PAE still appears on the November schedules, which doesn't mean a whole lot in June, but it does tell me that Route Planning is hoping to -- and planning on -- bringing the route back once the traffic returns. I've been seeing this strategy play out for months now with AS as the recovery continues.

bb

PAE has more RON space than you think.

BTVB6Flyer

AS announces PDX expansion

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:11 pm

This has been a long sought after route for TPA.

The seasonal service is expected to operate four days a week between Dec. 16 and April 18 aboard a Boeing 737. Flights will leave Portland at 12:10 p.m., arriving in Tampa at 8:29 p.m. Departing flights will leave TPA the following day at 8 a.m., arriving in Portland at 11 a.m.

https://news.tampaairport.com/cigar-cit ... -airlines/

phatfarmlines

Re: AS to start PDX-TPA

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:23 pm

AS will be up to five departing flights on select days during the winter season. And with 4 out of the five flights leaving between 7:30 am and 10:00 am, it's going to be a busy operation for them in the morning.

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:29 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
AS will be up to five departing flights on select days during the winter season. And with 4 out of the five flights leaving between 7:30 am and 10:00 am, it's going to be a busy operation for them in the morning.

Have you seen the way they've been cutting back all those routes they announced? They are not going to operate all those flights.

ytib

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 pm

tphuang wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

Have you seen the way they've been cutting back all those routes they announced? They are not going to operate all those flights.

Examples?

MAH4546

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:39 pm

ytib wrote:
tphuang wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

Examples?

Zero examples. Alaska has literally launched every route it announced during the pandemic. Some flights announced pre-COVID have been delayed but have mostly all launched.

FLYKTPA

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:29 pm

tphuang wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

“They are not going to operate all those flights”

So you assume Alaska will cut TPA capacity to make PDX work? Would be odd to add a new route just to cut back others, although possible. One would assume they are overall happy with TPA… that’s why they are growing. Although some people like to be negative I suppose.

tphuang

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:33 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
tphuang wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

So you assume Alaska will cut TPA capacity to make PDX work? Would be odd to add a new route just to cut back others, although possible. One would assume they are overall happy with TPA… that’s why they are growing. Although some people like to be negative I suppose.

I'm just saying that they are announcing routes like everyone else. When time comes, they will operate the ones that gets sufficient bookings. There is no reason to worry about busy operation when it's unlikely they will operate 5 flights a day in Q1.

FLYKTPA

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:39 pm

tphuang wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I'm just saying that they are announcing routes like everyone else. When time comes, they will operate the ones that gets sufficient bookings. There is no reason to worry about busy operation when it's unlikely they will operate 5 flights a day in Q1.

I can agree they will likely make TPA’s LAX and SFO service less than daily.

So they’d likely end up with

SEA 2x daily
PDX 4x weekly
LAX 4x weekly (down from daily)
SFO 3-4x weekly (down from daily)

Cut out slow Tuesdays and Wednesdays if needed.

Alaska for sure views TPA, and Florida overall as something to do with aircraft during the winter that aren’t doing extra NYC, BOS, WAS frequencies.

AC4500

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:43 pm

Great addition for PDX, just wish it was a year-round route. Surprised SAN-TPA wasn't added, considering how inconsistent WN is on that route.

ANA787

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:50 pm

Title should probably be altered to something along the lines of "AS announces PDX expansion" as they're also launching MSY-PDX too... which is significant to NOLA, as PDX has (for yearssss) been the only FAA-large domestic gateway that MSY didn't have a scheduled nonstop to.

phatfarmlines

Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:52 pm

tphuang wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I get what you're trying to convey Tphuang. Yes, these adds may be part of the "mad rush" to Florida and we don't know what the market will look like in a post-COVID environment, and that's true for the many recent additions to Florida. I would argue that if AS had to make a cut out of TPA, PDX would be the first to go. And they're starting cautiously with 4x weekly service and seasonal to boot.

Still, it would be a fun observation of Alaska's operations in the morning, especially with 738/739 capacity.

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:02 pm

Regarding morning gate capacity, going to be interesting to watch. I think a move is going to have to come, Breeze occupies 2 gates there, AS to F to be near AA would make sense, but F is packed with AA and sometimes has RON's parked at E. And that's F with no INTL flights sans Copa back.

phatfarmlines

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Regarding morning gate capacity, going to be interesting to watch. I think a move is going to have to come, Breeze occupies 2 gates there, AS to F to be near AA would make sense, but F is packed with AA and sometimes has RON's parked at E. And that's F with no INTL flights sans Copa back.

I was thinking about that and our discussion on the West Coast Florida megathread regarding a theoretical AS gate relocation. Moving to F won't be viable in this instance; AA has a large bank that leaves in the morning. So the only way this could work is for the AS to RON its aircraft over at the Airside D hardstands, and then start towing to Airside C when flights are getting ready to board. I imagine a similar setup will be needed for the BZ flights.

The HCAA master plan also calls for RON hardstands to be built south of Taxiway J and east of Taxiway V (the area is currently a retention pond), that will be primarily utilized for Airside F carriers, so if that were built, perhaps AS could then be able to operate from Airside F.

kavok

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm

I find it surprising that the PDX-TPA leg is not a red eye. Obviously the proposed schedule is more preferable to flyers, but it seems AS is losing out on a lot of block time by flying it during the day, followed by a RON overnight.

A redeye eastbound would have cut the opportunity cost of this potentially risky route.

flyoregon

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Title should probably be altered to something along the lines of "AS announces PDX expansion" as they're also launching MSY-PDX too... which is significant to NOLA, as PDX has (for yearssss) been the only FAA-large domestic gateway that MSY didn't have a scheduled nonstop to.

It’s about freaking time for both of these routes.

AC4500

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:09 pm

kavok wrote:
I find it surprising that the PDX-TPA leg is not a red eye. Obviously the proposed schedule is more preferable to flyers, but it seems AS is losing out on a lot of block time by flying it during the day, followed by a RON overnight.

A redeye eastbound would have cut the opportunity cost of this potentially risky route.

1). Who says that this is a "risky route"?
2). This is how Alaska has been setting up their default transcon route schedules ever since the pandemic began. They'll likely change it to an early morning PDX departure (around 7 to 9 AM), although I do agree that a redeye eastbound flight would make more sense in this situation. Alaska did the same thing with PDX-FLL and PDX-CUN. Closer to the route start dates, the schedule changed to early morning PDX departures.

usxguy

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:25 pm

kavok wrote:

Lots of people hate red eyes, myself included. I purposely book travel to different cities in Florida based on connections in Seattle and arrival times; I tend to like the 3PM SEA-> FL departures, which tends to hop between MCO & TPA. So this PDX/TPA flight is a welcome treat as it may have me flying SEA-PDX-TPA legs to avoid landing at midnight, or taking a red eye.

BWIAirport

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Man, every other thread here is a new or resuming route announcement. Good stuff. This seems like it shows that AS is giving PDX some much-needed attention after scaling it way back a few years ago.

ASFlyer

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
tphuang wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

Alaska operated the routes they announced. Some shorter than others but they operated them. Not all airlines did that.
Last edited by ASFlyer on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SANFan

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:52 pm

Schedules:
PDX-TPA: 12:10pm - 8:29pm ops:1246 eff 12/16
TPA-PDX: 8am -11 am ops: 2357 ops thru 4/17 B-739

PDX-MSY: 12:00pm - 6:30pm 357 eff 12/17
MSY-PDX: 8:00am - 11:10am 146 ops thru 4/18 B-739

These new PDX routes, TPA and MSY, are reminiscent of something AS did last winter: they split an a/c from PDX between FLL & CUN -- pretty much the same general times on both flights, 4 days to FLL & the other 3 days to CUN. The other aspect of last winter's flights were that they were also split with SAN which saw FLL & CUN on alternate days from each other and from the PDX flights. In fact the times of the new routes are eerily similar to last winter's FLL & CUN flights, as well as the mid-day turn at PDX (& SAN) along with the RON at the outstations... It was essentially 2 737s running 4 routes with 8 flights nicely connecting 2 west coast cities with 2 eastern winter destinations.

One other thing I remember about that was that not all the routes were announced together; in fact, some of the routes were never really announced at all. My hope is that perhaps AS will repeat the whole exercise again this year -- adding SAN-MSY & TPA as well! (WN had served SAN-MSY for years and dropped it in May 2020; TPA has been served on and off for a couple of years. COVID obviously contributed to the problems. Just this morning WN announced they are re-starting SAN-MSY.)

Deja vu all over again! ; )

In any case, congrats to PDX on getting these new routes from AAG! I know both TPA and MSY have been sought for a long time by A.netters on both ends of the routes so it's nice to see them happen. (Plus, as far as we know, both Lauderdale and Cancun will also be back this winter!)

(Acknowledgments to AC4500's comments in reply #17; just some additional details added here.)

bb

kavok

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:41 am

AC4500 wrote:
kavok wrote:

2). This is how Alaska has been setting up their default transcon route schedules ever since the pandemic began. They'll likely change it to an early morning PDX departure (around 7 to 9 AM), although I do agree that a redeye eastbound flight would make more sense in this situation. Alaska did the same thing with PDX-FLL and PDX-CUN. Closer to the route start dates, the schedule changed to early morning PDX departures.

Any new route is a risky route. If the route was a guaranteed big money maker, then it would have been flown already. I am not saying they won’t succeed, and maybe this route is the most profitable use of a plane for a 24 hour period… but by not doing a redeye, AS is missing out on the opportunity to make profits flying that plane somewhere else in the afternoon.

Parking a plane RON when you could do a redeye means missing out on the profits from that additional afternoon flight somewhere else. Maybe AS thinks the premium they can charge by it not being a redeye is worth it.., but as most Florida travel tends to be lower leisure fares, I have a hard time seeing how much premium they could achieve.

flyoregon

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:09 am

kavok wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
kavok wrote:

Any new route is a risky route. If the route was a guaranteed big money maker, then it would have been flown already. I am not saying they won’t succeed, and maybe this route is the most profitable use of a plane for a 24 hour period… but by not doing a redeye, AS is missing out on the opportunity to make profits flying that plane somewhere else in the afternoon.

Parking a plane RON when you could do a redeye means missing out on the profits from that additional afternoon flight somewhere else. Maybe AS thinks the premium they can charge by it not being a redeye is worth it.., but as most Florida travel tends to be lower leisure fares, I have a hard time seeing how much premium they could achieve.

Yeah, you're right. Alaska doesn't know what they're doing.

elewis

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:45 am

flyoregon wrote:
kavok wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Yeah, you're right. Alaska doesn't know what they're doing.
So you believe an established airline like them didn’t take into account certain factors that influence decisions such as what aircraft to use ?

I’m not being snarky just curious how some people come to their conclusions. Also how comes when it comes to Florida nobody mentions business travel as if our state doesn’t many large companies that travel to other cities as well ?

WkndWanderer

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:07 am

kavok wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
kavok wrote:

AS knows that west coast markets are their point of sale and they time a lot of their 1x daily east coast flights accordingly. I feel like they regularly only add red eyes on their more than 1x daily routes where there is already a day flight as well. I seem to remember SEA-IAD, and SFO—RDU being red eye only for a very brief period before being moved back to day flights.

FlyingElvii

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:19 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:

They are assuming that International travel is still going to be stifled, this winter.
This is likely the AS capacity they would normally be sending to Mexico during that season, I believe.

Wingtips56

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 am

kavok wrote:

This schedule lets them work it with one crew... fly in, overnight and fly back in the morning, after almost 12 hours rest (schedule in another post). This is important with less than daily service, so they don't have to have a second crew on a full overnight and day, and even two/three days on the days the flight doesn't operate.

ZazuPIT

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:32 am

tphuang wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If you're going to publicly call out AS, you need to with every other airline announcing new routes. There are a lot of announced routes by all carriers that won't last a year.

kavok

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:27 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
kavok wrote:

This schedule lets them work it with one crew... fly in, overnight and fly back in the morning, after almost 12 hours rest (schedule in another post). This is important with less than daily service, so they don't have to have a second crew on a full overnight and day, and even two/three days on the days the flight doesn't operate.

Thank you for the explanation. That does make sense when the route is less than daily.

ASFlyer

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:46 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

They are assuming that International travel is still going to be stifled, this winter.
This is likely the AS capacity they would normally be sending to Mexico during that season, I believe.

Mexico was on fire this last winter, just like Arizona and Florida. Those planes were full and they didn’t trim the schedules much, if at all. PVR was double daily for a lot of the winter.

AC4500

Re: AS announces PDX expansion

Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 am

Note: Can we please keep the thread on-topic? The GEG related posts should go in the AS network thread.

lhpdx

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:34 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Note: Can we please keep the thread on-topic? The GEG related posts should go in the AS network thread.

Agreed....I thought the topic was about PDX expansion, not BOI or GEG...................

wedgetail737

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:30 am

I'm hoping as we get away from the pandemic that AS will keep adding mainline to the PDX routes that are currently E-175's. When I was at OAK this weekend, AS still had 10 to 11 Airbus aircraft stored there.

AC4500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:20 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I'm hoping as we get away from the pandemic that AS will keep adding mainline to the PDX routes that are currently E-175's. When I was at OAK this weekend, AS still had 10 to 11 Airbus aircraft stored there.

PDX-ABQ/MCI/MSP are all currently scheduled for mainline aircraft in the placeholder schedule. Hopefully these will be upgraded to mainline soon.

AC4500

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm

It looks like AS is responding to WN's 50-yr/50% off sale. One-way fares on AS are as cheap $29 one-way!

gunsontheroof

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:49 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

bb

PAE has more RON space than you think.

I was going to post the same thing. Parking may not be immediately adjacent to the terminal, but PAE isn't particularly short on RON space if AS/UA require it.

wedgetail737

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 pm

I wonder if AS will continue to put additional Airbus A320's back into service. I saw 10 of them still stored at OAK this weekend.

32andBelow

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I wonder if AS will continue to put additional Airbus A320's back into service. I saw 10 of them still stored at OAK this weekend.

They just put a special livery on one. Was that just RTS?

wedgetail737

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:05 am

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

They just put a special livery on one. Was that just RTS?

They looked pretty buttoned up. I don't think the Pride airplane was one of those. The stored airplanes would have to go through some extensive restoration depending how long they've been stored.

DLASFlyer

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:38 am

So the pride plane doesn’t just have rainbow on the outside but also cycles through a rainbow of colors on the inside.

https://twitter.com/alaskaair/status/14 ... 6755936260
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/3kX55yR

32andBelow

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:23 am

Why hasn’t the max flown to the state of Alaska yet?

sfojvjets

Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 am

32andBelow wrote:

Well... why hasn't the MAX flown to SFO yet?

I'm not sure. Someone here can probably answer though.

b777900

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am

sfojvjets wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Well... why hasn't the MAX flown to SFO yet?

I'm not sure. Someone here can probably answer though.

WILL the MAX ever fly to the east coast or transcon flights? or just West coast hops??? Why does AS ONLY use e175 LAX TO AUS and not anything bigger>??

Ishrion

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:54 pm

FATFlyer

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:21 pm

Ishrion wrote:

For those not aware, BOI-PUW has a revenue guarantee from the University of Idaho.

"Under the agreement, the University of Idaho would guarantee annual payments up to $500,000 for three years if the flights fail to generate revenue, according to the board."
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/may/28/university-of-idaho-partnering-with-alaska-airline/

AC4500

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm

Ishrion wrote:

PHX-BOI seems way overdue for AS. I'm surprised it's only operating seasonally. I suspect BOI-LAS will be added not too long from now.

Western727

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

For those not aware, BOI-PUW has a revenue guarantee from the University of Idaho.

"Under the agreement, the University of Idaho would guarantee annual payments up to $500,000 for three years if the flights fail to generate revenue, according to the board."
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/may/28/university-of-idaho-partnering-with-alaska-airline/

That makes a lot of sense. My sister and brother-in-law used to live in PUW for several years when he worked at Washington State University. Pullman/Moscow and PUW are small towns that are heavily reliant on WSU and UI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos